Taunt, Resistance, Slow? OH MY!!

in PvP

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

I’m wondering what happens when a player is taunted, feared and out of stun breaks at the same time. Do they run around like a chicken with their head cut off?

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

I’m wondering what happens when a player is taunted, feared and out of stun breaks at the same time. Do they run around like a chicken with their head cut off?

Taunt will break Fear, similarly as to how Stuns, Knockdowns, Dazes, etc, will overwrite Fear now.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

OMNIBUS.2913

Taunt will break Fear, similarly as to how Stuns, Knockdowns, Dazes, etc, will overwrite Fear now.

Ah ok. Would’ve been hilarious to see though XD

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I hadn’t considered that Slow might also affect rezzes/stomps. And they haven’t told us how strong the effect is either – is it 1.5x activation times, exactly the opposite of quickness, or is it twice activation times? If it’s the latter we might never see a stomp in pvp ever again – 6" stomps will be really hard to pull off!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: Zord.6457

Zord.6457

1. For resistance specifically, do you think stances like Berserker’s Stance would be better using this boon instead? What about traits like Diamond Skin or Automated Response?

That would be a huge nerf to those abilities and traits…
Boons can be removed unlike these skills, and also these type of skills currently prevent anything from being applied to you, so you negate the entire possible condi duration not just the time the ability lasts.
So if the decision is made to use this boon for everything, these skills/traits will have to be rethinked and compensated in some way.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

The more I think about Resistance, the more it seems like a bad idea.

It’s starting to sound like any spec/weaponset that relies on soft CC to keep it in the fight is going to get completely screwed by Resistance. Any class with access to both Resistance and Stability has the potential to be ridiculous, unless they handle all this very carefully.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I hadn’t considered that Slow might also affect rezzes/stomps. And they haven’t told us how strong the effect is either – is it 1.5x activation times, exactly the opposite of quickness, or is it twice activation times? If it’s the latter we might never see a stomp in pvp ever again – 6" stomps will be really hard to pull off!

It is 1.5x activation time from what i understand.

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

taunt sounds like a disaster incoming …

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

1. For resistance specifically, do you think stances like Berserker’s Stance would be better using this boon instead? What about traits like Diamond Skin or Automated Response?

That would be a huge nerf to those abilities and traits…
Boons can be removed unlike these skills, and also these type of skills currently prevent anything from being applied to you, so you negate the entire possible condi duration not just the time the ability lasts.
So if the decision is made to use this boon for everything, these skills/traits will have to be rethinked and compensated in some way.

I think the “immunity to new” vs “immunity to current effects” is a wash. The real nerf is the fact that it can be removed instead of having no counterplay.

Automated Response and Diamond Skin will likely get changed to pulse the boon while their conditions are met, probably something like 15 seconds every 15 seconds. I do forsee Diamond Skin getting changed to a 75% health threshold, though.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

More like impossible to see.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Slow + taunt = you’re dead if you get lured in Necro Wells.

Revenant + Necro = ggwp plsnerf kthx

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Taunts have no place in the guild wars combat system. It is an overused, ill-conceived status that undermines the comprehensive design of combat. Such an effect is no greater than a telekenetic lockdown on an entity; this is not a good thing. This kind of effect results in an oversimplified and unexplainable phenomenon, specifically in this case a player losing total control over their various faculties. For anything less than total mind control, my character should not become a simpleton that has no cognitive ability.

Taunt should be fine as long as it isn’t spammable. Stability and Stun breaks will still work. Though this is the sPvP section, Taunts are kinda needed as some sort of aggro. Like for PvE there was no way to have a certain aggro, but this game has no trinity so it wouldn’t’ matter too much. For sPvP, it’s a good way to peel for your team other than just cross heals and soft cc.

If taunt is a long duration cc it will be bad. Long duration cc is bad.

If anything a taunt shouldn’t be easy to land and a decent duration, since it is a “taunt”. Nothing more than 3 seconds. Any long taunt should have some sort of skill shot and a decent cool down, a somewhat decent telegraph and not too short or too long. So it isn’t too bad if people know how to position/dodge correctly. AoE Stability and Quickness in general are rare in any class, unless you invest in it. So hopefully Taunt isn’t easy spammable like I said. If it is a long duration, then yeah QQ threads everywhere. The problem is that there isn’t any dimishing return for the amount of CC that you can receive. But yeah I don’t mind Taunt as long as it has some sort of counterplay/balance. Same goes for Resistance, hopefully it is as rare as Quickness or Stab, and not too spammable. We’ll see what A-net has more in store..

The only part of taunt I’m looking forward to is how it’ll interact with on block skills like warrior mace 2/guard mace 3.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

in PvP

OMNIBUS.2913

More like impossible to see.

UUmm Chaith already clarified this but thnx?

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

So what happens if a taunted target is feared or a feared target taunted?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

So what happens if a taunted target is feared or a feared target taunted?

The most recent applies, most likely. That is how it currently works, as far as I know, since there are PvE mobs that will knock you down then fear you, and the fear overrides the knockdown.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Bran.7425

The most recent applies, most likely. That is how it currently works, as far as I know, since there are PvE mobs that will knock you down then fear you, and the fear overrides the knockdown.

Might not be the correct situation to compare it to as knockdown isn’t really a condition as taunt and fear are/will be. I could be more akin to being dazed and feared.

in PvP

Bhawb.7408

Taunt is not a condition, neither is daze.

My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Bran.7425

Taunt is not a condition, neither is daze.

And what does that the designation have to do with how they interact? As for right now one can be both dazed and knockdown.

They really just need to go a full breakdown of how the new mechanics will interact with the existing ones.

in PvP

Bhawb.7408

Because you called taunt a condition, it isn’t. Daze and fear (and daze and knockdown) “both” occur because fear is a strictly “higher” CC, it has all the components of daze with more on top. You can also be immobilized and feared at the same time, which makes you run in place. Those can happen at the same time because the effects don’t conflict with each other.

Taunt and fear though directly conflict. You can’t run away from someone and be unable to use any skills while also running towards someone and auto attacking. They are exclusive of each otehr, and so one of them has to overwrite the other.

My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Bran.7425

Defensive/Touchy much? Must come from all that doom and gloom in the necromancer subforum.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Defensive/Touchy much? Must come from all that doom and gloom in the necromancer subforum.

You may not realize it but, you’re the one who actually sounds touchy.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Bran.7425

So I sound touchy, whatever he’s the one splitting hairs over status effect over condition.

As it stand there is confusion on how Taunt will interact with existing mechanics. But not like Dirame is adding anything to the discussion other than calling me out.

But text isn’t the best medium to infer emotions, outside of choice of words and context of statement.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

So I sound touchy, whatever he’s the one splitting hairs over status effect over condition.

As it stand there is confusion on how Taunt will interact with existing mechanics. But not like Dirame is adding anything to the discussion other than calling me out.

But text isn’t the best medium to infer emotions, outside of choice of words and context of statement.

I agree with Bhawb. Taunt is a status effect and it will interact with other effects like Fear does. Only it won’t be a condition.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

If I’m being perfectly honest, I’m having trouble understanding why people are more afraid of taunt than slow. Taunt to me is just another CC. The only thing that is scary about it to me is that it stacks you up. Otherwise, it’s simply a different fear. Not more, just different.

Slow on the other hand reminds me of faintheartedness from gw1. The melee hate in GW1 was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it got to the point where it was better just to cancel the skill all together. Assuming what people are saying is true (That it’s the opposite of quickness) this is what it can affect:

1. Stomping
  2. Resing
  3. Channeling Buffs (Quickness affects tranquility/stillness/ferocity, so slow will as well)
  4. All skills
  5. Leaps (Jump Shot)
  6. Charges (like GS 5 on Warrior)

Some classes like engineer and thief might not notice slow, but I could imagine warrior and necromancer becoming very frustrated with this. Both of those classes have notoriously long cast times for certain skills.

Keep in mind, this completely depends on how they implement slow. By that I mean, do they have it so slow is in big chunks on long recharges or in small chucks on short recharges? Passive or active? AoE or single target?

1. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

As an aside, try to avoid attacking each other. The more information I get, the better decisions the balance team can make! Disagreeing is great as it illuminates something that needs discussion. Insults are a waste of time.

Taunt is a CC, thus it will overwrite other CCs like fear, launch or sink. Simple as that.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

(edited by The Gates Assassin.9827)

in PvP

Muchacho.2390

If I’m being perfectly honest, I’m having trouble understanding why people are more afraid of taunt than slow. Taunt to me is just another CC. The only thing that is scary about it to me is that it stacks you up. Otherwise, it’s simply a different fear. Not more, just different.

Slow on the other hand reminds me of faintheartedness from gw1. The melee hate in GW1 was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it got to the point where it was better just to cancel the skill all together. Assuming what people are saying is true (That it’s the opposite of quickness) this is what it can affect:

1. Stomping
  2. Resing
  3. Channeling Buffs (Quickness affects tranquility/stillness/ferocity, so slow will as well)
  4. All skills
  5. Leaps (Jump Shot)
  6. Charges (like GS 5 on Warrior)

Some classes like engineer and thief might not notice slow, but I could imagine warrior and necromancer becoming very frustrated with this. Both of those classes have notoriously long cast times for certain skills.

Keep in mind, this completely depends on how they implement slow. By that I mean, do they have it so slow is in big chunks on long recharges or in small chucks on short recharges? Passive or active? AoE or single target?

1. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

As an aside, try to avoid attacking each other. The more information I get, the better decisions the balance team can make! Disagreeing is great as it illuminates something that needs discussion. Insults are a waste of time.

Taunt is a CC, thus it will overwrite other CCs like fear, launch or sink. Simple as that.

I think that sums up my opinion on the subject rather nicely.

Slow together with an interrupt mesmer (or any profession with a lot of interrupts) will really annoying to deal with.

in PvP

Bhawb.7408

Do we know how much slow slows you by? For example, quickness is a 50% speed up, does this mean that slow will be a 50% slow down? So a 1s heal is now 1.5s? Or, more annoyingly, skills like Signet of Undeath/Battle Standard are now 4.5s/3s cast times (why the hell is SoU a 3s cast time when BS is 2? wtf)?

My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Muchacho.2390

Do we know how much slow slows you by? For example, quickness is a 50% speed up, does this mean that slow will be a 50% slow down? So a 1s heal is now 1.5s? Or, more annoyingly, skills like Signet of Undeath/Battle Standard are now 4.5s/3s cast times (why the hell is SoU a 3s cast time when BS is 2? wtf)?

Yes, i think it was 50%. Also 1 second to 1.5 seconds etc.

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Any other comments on these new conditions/boons/CCs?

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.