The Feature Patch is NOT March 18th

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

We are extremely specific about what is being released regarding PvP in John’s blog.

To quote from it, we say the following regarding this:

• “This post is to let you know that glory will no longer be awarded as of a maintenance build that is currently planned for March 18.”
    • Given that we have been calling the next phase of PvP the feature build, I’m surprised it wasn’t assumed that maintenance != feature here. Regardless, the next quote fully addresses that.
  • “The glory vendor that was introduced in the December 10 build will remain until the new reward system is released in a later update "
  • “Because these rewards are being removed in preparation for the next phase of the PvP reward updates”

In nearly every paragraph of this blog post, we discuss either what exactly is happening in this build, or mention that it is not a part of the next phase of rewards.

This is why I am confused as to where the misconception came from.

I still see NO MENTION anywhere in there of the balance changes that have been discussed (they are so minor it’s absurd).

Calling the NEXT PHASE of pvp rewards the feature build still does not address the balance issues.

in PvP

Posted by: xantosnightwish.5438

xantosnightwish.5438

We are extremely specific about what is being released regarding PvP in John’s blog.

• “This post is to let you know that glory will no longer be awarded as of a maintenance build that is currently planned for March 18.”
    • Given that we have been calling the next phase of PvP the feature build, I’m surprised it wasn’t assumed that maintenance != feature here. Regardless, the next quote fully addresses that.
  • “The glory vendor that was introduced in the December 10 build will remain until the new reward system is released in a later update "
  • “Because these rewards are being removed in preparation for the next phase of the PvP reward updates”

In nearly every paragraph of this blog post, we discuss either what exactly is happening in this build, or mention that it is not a part of the next phase of rewards.

You call that being “extremely specific”? You provide no timetable on when to expect the next feature patch. You simply spend paragraph upon paragraph saying one simple sentence “Glory is being removed on March 18th.”. You don’t even go into depth on what you mean when you say youve "updated rank point rewards ". Im sorry but more was needed than what the community was given.

Whether you understand where the confusion came from, the fact of the matter is that the confusion did arise and nothing was done to prevent it or clarify it until Josh’s dev post in a thread that was closed shortly thereafter.

Again, I highly recommend that you make your own formal announcement to put this issue to rest.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports
Bear Cavalry of Legend PVP 4life!

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

Let’s make it two years before we finally are getting something new.

2nd thing, why are you guys making a blog post for ladders, seasons and stuff like that?
You had an awesome system in GW1, just use this?! Or are we going on a mystery road where we get a lot of unfixed things again?

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Holy kitten………………..
How hard is to just say whether or not the 18th patch will include all the balance changes talked about for months.

Because they don’t want to reveal said changes until they’ve been thoroughly tested and confirmed to be included in that release build.

If they say “balance changes coming on X date”, the community will berate them non-stop about what changes are coming. No changes can be stated until it’s confirmed in a stable state for release – it’s the nature of software development, especially agile development/iterative design that Arenanet uses. Anything can change at a moment’s notice.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Can someone please explain to me in human language ARE THOSE FEW SIMPLE BALANCE IMPROVEMENTS A NEW FEATURE OR NOT?!!??!!?!?
All i see is feature, maintananance, phase, rewards etc. etc.
I dont need no phases no rewards no seasons or whatever else all i want to know is will i have on demand dhuumfire or not… english isnt my main language but i perfectly understand 3 words – BALANCE , YES , NO

Leeto: Im so so so sorry. But NO.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Malchior,
The community will berate them either way.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Can we just get dates for what is happening when? The fact that many people are confused should tell you that the blog post/FAQ post aren’t clear enough.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Holy kitten………………..
How hard is to just say whether or not the 18th patch will include all the balance changes talked about for months.

Because they don’t want to reveal said changes until they’ve been thoroughly tested and confirmed to be included in that release build.

If they say “balance changes coming on X date”, the community will berate them non-stop about what changes are coming. No changes can be stated until it’s confirmed in a stable state for release – it’s the nature of software development, especially agile development/iterative design that Arenanet uses. Anything can change at a moment’s notice.

EXCEPT…WOW, the largest mmorpg, always lists balance changes in advance and gasp they have PTR to test the changes and take feed back on. So NO.

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Can we just get dates for what is happening when? The fact that many people are confused should tell you that the blog post/FAQ post aren’t clear enough.

We don’t even need strict dates. We need timetables and when you do announce dates, you need to be very clear about what is and what is not going to take place.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

The “blog” post is 4-5 sentences with pictures posted in it to make it seem larger. That alone should tell you something. It took them how long to release that?

in PvP

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Does the March 18th patch include any of the balance updates mentioned in Ready-Up or otherwise

This is the burning question everyone has been asking.

Your answer so far has been “Mar 18 is a maintenance patch, not a feature patch” which is vague and misleading.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in PvP

Posted by: Elendar.5204

Elendar.5204

Possibly it came from hope.

Hope that Arenanet would not really be removing the first decent reward system pvp has had since release for anyone other than the hardcore players, a system that actually encouraged new players to pvp without replacing it with anything at all. Hope that arenanet would not really leave pvp to rot again when all the casual players quit until rewards come back in.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Does the March 18th patch include any of the balance updates mentioned in Ready-Up or otherwise

Your answer so far has been “Mar 18 is a maintenance patch, not a feature patch” which is vague and misleading.

You forgot a word…“INTENTIONALLY”

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Would it be better if ANET just took the time to explain the “Phases” that Pvp will be going through? Like actually said what has to happen in each “phase” and when we can expect them to be implemented.

Because no blog post has been clear enough, obviously.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

^^^^Totally true. Assumptions were made by the community since they had no official word from Anet on anything. Can you honestly blame the community Allie?

Don’t know about Allie, but I sure can. I’ve never assumed the feature build was on the 18th since all that was said about that date was that’s when glory will be removed. Nothing to me indicated that this would be the feature build.
It’s really no ones fault but your own if you go off on a tangent and draw a million speculative conclusions based on a very thin grounding in fact. So I don’t see what the fuss is about.

That said, I also remember them stating that the 18th is just maintenance somewhere on the forums sometime this week.

in PvP

Posted by: Dosvidaniya.3260

Dosvidaniya.3260

Yes, it is clear in the text of that post.

However, many people are/were hoping features were coming with it. Guild Wars (1 and 2) has some of the most robust deployment systems I’ve seen in online gaming. You don’t have massive downtime. Living story updates flow into the game. Unfortunately, this update does the opposite for pvp. Not only is pvp still not getting an update; we’re losing all rewards except rank points. Meanwhile, no recompense for rank point “inflation” has been given. It has been mentioned that the rank point requirement for 90 is being re-evaluated. So, the only reason (from a rewards perspective) to pvp is to get rank points that will probably be easier to get in the future.

From my point of view, the horrid deployment methodology for pvp changes is so backwards that I still don’t believe the article. Glory boosters “phasing” is horrendous; especially given the incentive to play arena which still give them! Luck from pvp is so stupidly broken that I legitimately wonder if anyone did any math at all. PvP gear phase out is broken. I still struggle to believe any of it is real because of how horribly this reward system is being deployed.

(edited by Dosvidaniya.3260)

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Using logic then, the answer would be no, because they’ve stated the march 18th patch is only for glory removal.

That said though, I hope the team can learn to be more concise and inert with their descriptions. Most of the community doesn’t think like a developer or a studio, and is just looking for a cut and dry answer.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

^^^^Totally true. Assumptions were made by the community since they had no official word from Anet on anything. Can you honestly blame the community Allie?

Don’t know about Allie, but I sure can. I’ve never assumed the feature build was on the 18th since all that was said about that date was that’s when glory will be removed. Nothing to me indicated that this would be the feature build.
It’s really no ones fault but your own if you go off on a tangent and draw a million speculative conclusions based on a very thin grounding in fact. So I don’t see what the fuss is about.

That said, I also remember them stating that the 18th is just maintenance somewhere on the forums sometime this week.

Where did I say I thought it was March 18th? In fact, in several places in this thread, I actually am clear that I personally did not think that because I understood the language behind “maintenance patch”.

Furthermore, many people view “Maintenance patches” as balance changes because that is how it is in EVERY OTHER FREAKIN GAME. So many people began to believe the balance patch was inbound on the 18th.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

Holy kitten………………..

EXCEPT…WOW, the largest mmorpg, always lists balance changes in advance and gasp they have PTR to test the changes and take feed back on. So NO.

WoW has been around for nearly 10 years. You’re basically comparing an infant to a 10 year old and saying that the infant should be able to beat up the 10 year old.

This answers all questions asked in this thread, thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Holy kitten………………..

WoW has been around for nearly 10 years. You’re basically comparing an infant to a 10 year old and saying that the infant should be able to beat up the 10 year old.

Please…. don’t cherry pick out the baseless comments and posts to respond to when people just want to know if there is any balancing to take place on March 18th.

Yes, No, Don’t know

in PvP

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

people just want to know if there is any balancing to take place on March 18th.

Yes, No, Don’t know

This please.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Holy kitten………………..

As Community Coordinator, could you please not derail my thread into a GW2 vs WoW argument? Thanks.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Holy kitten………………..

Cool story, but this isn’t WOW now is it?

PTR in this case doesn’t actually do anything beneficial, all it does is act as a preview for stuff.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

Where did I say I thought it was March 18th? In fact, in several places in this thread, I actually am clear that I personally did not think that because I understood the language behind “maintenance patch”.

Furthermore, many people view “Maintenance patches” as balance changes because that is how it is in EVERY OTHER FREAKIN GAME. So many people began to believe the balance patch was inbound on the 18th.

…. I don’t know, maybe in your opening post. Or the thread title for that matter. If you didn’t assume it was on the 18th, then what are you even complaining about?
And again, it’s no ones fault if people prefer wild speculation over facts and what was actually being said. It was perfectly clear to me, so honestly, not trying to be rude, but I don’t understand why people drew the conclusions they did. Do people just not read? I’m honestly intrigued as to where people are coming from with this.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Holy kitten………………..

Hardly. You’re in the same field as them, you don’t get to continually make the mistakes they MADE in the past. You should have learned from theirs. Not to mention, I can compare the game to RIFT. When Rift was released, it had the same features and then some of WoW. They released with features that WoW currently had, at the time of their release. The one exception, being Arenas. So no, your analogy is quite poor.

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

…. I don’t know, maybe in your opening post. Or the thread title for that matter. If you didn’t assume it was on the 18th, then what are you even complaining about?
And again, it’s no ones fault if people prefer wild speculation over facts and what was actually being said. It was perfectly clear to me, so honestly, not trying to be rude, but I don’t understand why people drew the conclusions they did. Do people just not read? I’m honestly intrigued as to where people are coming from with this.

“Im simply trying to clarify things for the community so that when March 18th rolls around, no one is disappointed. If the moderators or Allie or Grouch would like to step in and clarify things in a more “respectful” manner, by all means.”

Whoa, taken from my original post bro. Seems like youre the one having trouble reading into things to much. The title of my thread was for clarification purposes ONLY. I made the thread after I saw to many people saying the balance changes were coming March 18th and decided to correct the misconception.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

In this particular case, the feature build includes the next major step of PvP rewards. The maintenance build only includes the change to glory that will support the next phase.

And the balance updates? Please clarify, this seems to be where the confusion lies.

There is no confusion. They said the balance is in the feature patch. This is not the march 18th patch but the “soon” patch in late spring/early summer. There is no balance till the feature patch which is likely late april or early may. Possibly later and early april at the absolute earliest.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Holy kitten………………..

Cool story, but this isn’t WOW now is it?

PTR in this case doesn’t actually do anything beneficial, all it does is act as a preview for stuff.

Even cooler story if you read the post I commented on.

in PvP

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Wow you guys are acting all entitled here.

Mod should just close this thread before I get myself infracted again for pointing out all the misguided posts

in PvP

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

Holy kitten………………..

This answers all questions asked in this thread, thanks.

indeed, looks like we will take some break from gw with friends. i thought that Dec10th pvp changes would change something, but they didn’t change any except teams started play with two ham bow warriors instead of one. I really waited some changes and thought that changes that were announced in Jan will be in march at least.

Talék

in PvP

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Wow there are such rude community members in this thread. Maintenance patches do not include balance changes. There is no reason to throw a tantrum because someone is not coming out and saying no to balance changes. Time to move on, go do something productive with your time.

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

In this particular case, the feature build includes the next major step of PvP rewards. The maintenance build only includes the change to glory that will support the next phase.

And the balance updates? Please clarify, this seems to be where the confusion lies.

There is no confusion. They said the balance is in the feature patch. This is not the march 18th patch but the “soon” patch in late spring/early summer. There is no balance till the feature patch which is likely late april or early may. Possibly later and early april at the absolute earliest.

There was confusion for some people (Not me). You can tell that by reading the reaction to the thread. Anet did not come out and say that the balance changes (normally lumped into maintenance patches in many other games) were not occurring on March 18th. So some people thought they were. Josh clarified this for the community in a another thread but it got closed shortly after. So a lot of people missed the memo until now.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

Holy kitten………………..

A wise man learn from his mistakes, a wiser man learn from other people mistakes. There are no excuses. We aren’t even bringing up the fact of almost nothing being learned from GW1.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

in PvP

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Because you guys are unable to have a reasonable, polite and respectful conversation with Allie regarding this matter, this thread is now closed. If you would like to respectfully ask a question or discuss a topic, please do so in a new thread.