The Reason I don't play any Ranked Arena

in PvP

Posted by: albostan.6719

albostan.6719

Sup Guys !

Quick introduction:

Last season effective rating 941 as well as 70-75% winratio soloQ power warrior (core).
This season same 75% winratio with more than 10 wins in a row soloQ power warrior (core).

I played now on different accounts and I just can’t see any “pro” gamers in here.
The matchmaking is pretty weird and the players on plat more belong to silver from the gameplay. They don’t focus target, they don’t teamplay, rotation?(somethign to eat), don’t know their limits(all are mid dead? I can run into that and die as well), hold cap?(full cap 2 seconds later decaped).

Things that I saw the most:
2-3 players chasing 1 guy off point, no rez against single enemy, running far 1v1 on caped point, 1v1 on close and losing, ignoring downed players (hell yeah tryhard solo killing on triple rez).

Things that bothered me the most:
Asking randoms to swap? Biggest mistake you can do cuz why should someone swap if he gets countered by atleast 3 enemies.
Writting teamchat to go somewhere? I guess 99% of the players don’t understand english.
Pinging caps to hold cuz enemies running to decap? OK writting and pinging seems not to work well…

PvP Season 5 was fun and had some good matchmaking (could have been better with the double duo que vs 0 que) but otherwise it was good.
PvP Season 6 = not even bothering to play.
PvP Season 7 = with a duo que partner on my skill lvl I would have got 25-0.

I started after placements directly gold 3 and from there on straight into plat 3.
There was not a single game where I could have said it was fun to play and yeah on both teams braindead players.

What I want to say with this?

PLS stop giving legendary titles to players who you rek within 30 seconds PLS!
If I see more merciless legend ruthless legend players who have 0 gamesense I delete this game.
I expect atleast 5 things from those “pro” gamers !
Knowledge of “attacking the target” (the player with the red cross hair above the head)
Stop chasing targets off point 3v1 or even with more players.
Stop leaving caps and letting enemies get free decaps (even full cap)
Stop running into multiple enemies
STOP going far fighting on caped point and losing 1v1 xD
OH there are even more points but why bothering all are pro !

And yes I had to derank last season for this test :-O

Not to mention that the few pro players who duo que can get a 90% winratio which should never be able in a comp game x-)

Peace out and all the devs who read this either change pvp or leave it forever.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: daw.4923

daw.4923

dunno,i just play for fun mostly,i dont care for rank or rewards.
makes life easier.

in PvP

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

The anet made mass ban these days, the scene improved a lot. i have like 30 wins, 5 loss, very cooperative teams. So there were a lot of matches with strange teams, especially a lot of afk in the beginning of the game.

Before the ban in bulk, it seems that there were many bots or manipulation of matches.

try it.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

Something went horribly wrong with placement and ratings. There are no bronze players in the mists at all. They are all holding platinum ranks.

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

This is why you should never put easy to use builds in a Pvp game mode.
It doesn’t teach you how to PvP, and since most meta build revolve around slaming your face against the keyboard you don’t even learn the very basics. Now what happens when that player run’s into someone who has played for years?

Blowouts.

No matter what they do to there MMR algo, It will never function properly, It simply can’t figure out that So and So on meta build A with a rating of 1600, is in reality a player who should have the rating of 1000.

OP do yourself a favor, play gw2 one or two day’s a mth. anything more then that is just going to make you salty.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

It doesn’t teach you how to PvP, and since most meta build revolve around slaming your face against the keyboard you don’t even learn the very basics. Now what happens when that player run’s into someone who has played for years?

Blowouts.

No matter what they do to there MMR algo, It will never function properly, It simply can’t figure out that So and So on meta build A with a rating of 1600, is in reality a player who should have the rating of 1000.

OP do yourself a favor, play gw2 one or two day’s a mth. anything more then that is just going to make you salty.

You can thank elite specs for this. Elite specs artificially raise your skill. PvP was better before HoT. It’s not even a comparison. You didn’t have all these faceroll mechanics like you do now. Yes, it had problems but balance was better.

in PvP

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

You can thank elite specs for this. Elite specs artificially raise your skill. PvP was better before HoT. It’s not even a comparison. You didn’t have all these faceroll mechanics like you do now. Yes, it had problems but balance was better.

Puff yeah right …

Just like the PU mesmer , when they buffed the Scepter ’s Auto-attack , by giving it Torment .
Or the unkilables warriors and Eles

When you love a spec and defend it overjealously , it might leads into Powercreep for the future classes …. just saying

OP:

In the previous season you had 33 played and 20 wins = 60% win rate (if you have played 6 matches you would had 1500 rating = Tier 1 plat)
In this season you have played 25 games and won 20 = 90% win rate (Tier 3 plat) .

By my calculation the scrubs cannot be Plats , because they needed higher Winrating by your pics .

(even so the scrubs needs 135-145 games , to be ON THE LEADERBOARDS till the end of it)

Edi: I am sorry , but i am trying to win on my own , by my rules . I dont want any1 to tell me the tactics or what to do .
I know best

On break

in PvP

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

OP sounds like the kind of guy to place target on a mesmers head in a teamfight and get angry when people dont follow his orders.

the comment reeks of a controlling undertone

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in PvP

albostan.6719

Puff yeah right …

Just like the PU mesmer , when they buffed the Scepter ’s Auto-attack , by giving it Torment .

When you love a spec and defend it overjealously , it might leads into Powercreep for the future classes …. just saying

OP:

In the previous season you had 33 played and 20 wins = 60% win rate (if you have played 6 matches you would had 1500 rating = Tier 1 plat)
In this season you have played 25 games and won 20 = 90% win rate (Tier 3 plat) .

By my calculation the scrubs cannot be Plats , because they needed higher Winrating by your pics .

(even so the scrubs needs 135-145 games , to be ON THE LEADERBOARDS till the end of it)

Edi: I am sorry , but i am trying to win on my own , by my rules . I dont want any1 to tell me the tactics or what to do .
I know best

First of all read the entire post^^
The win ratio was how I wrote it and I had to lose a few games in order to get into lower rank + decay to get into bronze.
90% winratio would be 22 wins or something and I might had 80% winratio nevermind who gives a d about that.

The point is and was that pvp is not challanging. People who were last season top 250 are in my opinion weak and only like 0.5% of them are good players the others mediocre at least.
PvP season 5 were only a 120 people legendary division including a few second accounts. PvP season 6? I don’t need to mention that even weaker where you get top 250 as gold 2.
If I am already plat 3 within 25 games do you think it’s hard for me to get top 10 within 100 something games lol.

The point is still that it should not be able to reach certain things like that.
SoloQ having a winratio over 70% playing with and against duo que teams is not how good matchmaking should work. And as I said by playing duo que I would have got without a problem a 90-100% winratio (100% on those 25 games) this season.
Main problem is people don’t even belong into those ratings they currently are, sad but true.
Even after making legendary under 1950 to 1800 is a joke and only in favour of 3d class players who get into 1800 and think they are the best pro gamers ever. Specially when I had games against and with top 10 players who had 0 gamesense but atleast belong into top 10.

A last thing:
There are currently no OP classes due to the fact that each class can get countered by atleast 2-3 classes.
PU (chrono) mesmer is not a problem with DH, good necromancers, and power warriors.
DH gents countered from power warrior, scrapper, druid adn ele.
Same goes for the other professions :-)

in PvP

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Puff yeah right …

OP:

I know best

First of all read the entire post^^
The win ratio was how I wrote it and I had to lose a few games in order to get into lower rank + decay to get into bronze.
90% winratio would be 22 wins or something and I might had 80% winratio nevermind who gives a d about that.

The point is and was that pvp is not challanging. People who were last season top 250 are in my opinion weak and only like 0.5% of them are good players the others mediocre at least.
PvP season 5 were only a 120 people legendary division including a few second accounts. PvP season 6? I don’t need to mention that even weaker where you get top 250 as gold 2.
If I am already plat 3 within 25 games do you think it’s hard for me to get top 10 within 100 something games lol.

The point is still that it should not be able to reach certain things like that.
SoloQ having a winratio over 70% playing with and against duo que teams is not how good matchmaking should work. And as I said by playing duo que I would have got without a problem a 90-100% winratio (100% on those 25 games) this season.
Main problem is people don’t even belong into those ratings they currently are, sad but true.
Even after making legendary under 1950 to 1800 is a joke and only in favour of 3d class players who get into 1800 and think they are the best pro gamers ever. Specially when I had games against and with top 10 players who had 0 gamesense but atleast belong into top 10.

A last thing:
There are currently no OP classes due to the fact that each class can get countered by atleast 2-3 classes.
PU (chrono) mesmer is not a problem with DH, good necromancers, and power warriors.

Wait….youre in bronze and youre going to tell people pvp is not challenging haha why arent you rank 1? the only person id accept this from is misha/sindrener as last time i checked their rating was 150 above the next best person

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Yup, only cele ele was a concern, but that’s all. I left WoW for GW2 pvp and I say, I had a load of fun pvp’ing before HoT. There was pure risk/reward gameplay and I think (probably most of us think the same) that elite specs were one of the main reasons, if not the sole reason for the current state of PvP gamemode. But what can we say? Sometimes I have a feeling that suspending elite specs for pvp for one season just to see how it works out would be a nice experiment to see what is good and what is bad. But it’s too late, it won’t happen as long as elite specs are one of the most prominent elements in the game. Even if it happened, how would it look like? PvE and WvW has specs but PvP? That would make some casuals angry or basically anyone who enjoys not giving too much effort into creative builds or active play.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

albostan.6719

@redcombra

I am plat 3 if you can watch the screenshot….
And yeah I started from bronze (on purpose) 941 made it into plat 3 without any trouble.

The difference between me and those 2 top players is I played all games solo and with a core warrior which means something :-)

While those 2 have 100% all games duo que with other pro players there is a big differnce there.

And yes it’s also no problem for me to reach top 10 I just don’t want to bother playing any longer when enemies are not equal skilled. Done 25 games already top 120 #bigjoke

A last time I want to have better matchmaking and players learning how to play the game.

in PvP

Luci.7018

A last thing:

First all all …
Show me some pics that you have played 120 games in the previous games and this season , rather telling me this all this rant …
You reached 80% winrating in the first half (1 month ago) , now what is happening atm that you need 45 games ?
Are you w8ing for the decay ?

Who told you that ppl dont belong in their rating and its not their characters that are countered by an anti class like you said in the second post ?
If it balanced , then we can move on in the next Speccializations in the next x-pack

Edit: why sould i listen to your instructions ingame to change characters or dont go in offpoints to fight ? Should i go in mid some some zergfest fights ? Is this Hotjoin v2 ?

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in PvP

albostan.6719

A last thing:

First all all …
Show me some pics that you have played 120 games in the previous games and this season , rather telling me this all this rant …
You reached 80% winrating in the first half (1 month ago) , now what is happening atm that you need 45 games ?

Who told you that ppl dont belong in their rating and its not their characters that are countered by an anti class like you said in the second post ?
If it balanced , then we can move on in the next Speccializations in the next x-pack

Edit: why sould i listen to your instructions ingame to change characters or dont go in offpoints to fight ? Should i go in mid some some zergfest fights ? Is this Hotjoin v2 ?

I was from season 1 til season 5 with 2 accounts on legendary.
Season 6 haven’t played due to the fact of having bad matches = no challange
Season 7 within 25 games in top 120 evidence more than enough specially cuz i started from bronze could have been last season legendary without a problem and now top 10 with this score.

The fact that you seem not to understand the game is enough^^
Example: We have 2 revs enemy team has 2 mesmers 1 reaper 1 dh 1 ele.
Therefore revs have no advantage over the 2 condi mesmers nor against the dh. Also a good reaper destroys revenants as well.

Swaping class before the game start ? Why should people do that? I don’t know maybe they made this 1.30 min timer to punish people to get mad until the game starts or the better fact that you can swap during that time.
Swaping class to counter enemies gives you and your team a huge advantage but most wannabe pro gamers never realize. You ask for support no one swap all of your team dead and then wondering why :-O

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I don’t play anymore because I physically can’t… last two evenings Anet’s servers kept getting DDoS’d; the servers keep lagging and crashing.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Luci.7018

A last thing:

First all all …

Season 7 within 25 games in top 120 evidence more than enough specially cuz i started from bronze could have been last season legendary without a problem and now top 10 with this score.

Therefore revs have no advantage over the 2 condi mesmers nor against the dh. Also a good reaper destroys revenants as well.

Swaping class before the game start ? Why should people do that? I don’t know maybe they made this 1.30 min timer to punish people to get mad until the game starts or the better fact that you can swap during that time.
Swaping class to counter enemies gives you and your team a huge advantage but most wannabe pro gamers never realize. You ask for support no one swap all of your team dead and then wondering why :-O

Even if you have missed the previous season , even with 7-3 placements macthes you get in Gold Tier 1 (1217 rating) just like myself (health problems)
You had 20/25 wons games on that pic .

Why not play 20 more games (and not stay afk for 1 month) and then whine on the forums that noobs shouldnt get in Plat ?

In every game , ppl get attached to their characters .
This a worldwide effect in various games (even in mobas) and only a pitiful amount of ppl change class in each different match .
And even less amount try to stream or find other 4 to make a team

Solo que is something fun to give the illusion of prestige , and to showcase your skills to be invited by some teams
(and then start becomening a Diva and start spouting nonsense like Forgoten and start paying 1000 dollars ( i dont know maybe its a ingunues tactic by League of Legends to get money back ….))

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

I’d say getting to 1800 as a supposedly non zerker power war soloq is even more kitten ing evidence. I didn’t know it was physically possible to lose to that.

Considering me and my buddy are running stuff like aura + necro, we should be stomping all the way to legend if this dude is doing fine in plat LMAO.

in PvP

Posted by: Maldesoada.8950

Maldesoada.8950

The only reason I play gw2 is because of pvp. But the restriction they made of only 2 persons in party to play ranked is awfull. I do not enjoy anymore to play pvp because all players in team are always toxic, they have no clue what to do and they afk a lot. This community is not the same, some players are really rude and idiots.
GW2 is dead for me.

in PvP

Posted by: Xibalbar.7459

Xibalbar.7459

That guy did that kind of posts in the german forum also to push himself in the pvp scene or whatever his plan was/is. If no one follow his strategy at start he`s going crazy. On top he isnt that good to be top10, not a single time………

I really dont know what your mission is lad, but you wont get any flowers for beeing someone you not will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

OP sounds like the kind of guy to place target on a mesmers head in a teamfight and get angry when people dont follow his orders.

the comment reeks of a controlling undertone

I loathe those kinds of players. The ones who bark orders a lot but give bad advice.

in PvP

albostan.6719

A last thing:

First all all …

Even if you have missed the previous season , even with 7-3 placements macthes you get in Gold Tier 1 (1217 rating) just like myself (health problems)

Why not play 20 more games (and not stay afk for 1 month) and then whine on the forums that noobs shouldnt get in Plat ?

This a worldwide effect in various games (even in mobas) and only a pitiful amount of ppl change class in each different match .

Solo que is something fun to give the illusion of prestige , and to showcase your skills to be invited by some teams
(and then start becomening a Diva and start spouting nonsense like Forgoten and start paying 1000 dollars ( i dont know maybe its a ingunues tactic by League of Legends to get money back ….))

It’s not about me or anyone else it’s about the matchmaking :-O
Being able to get from bronze into highest tier within 25 games should not be possible first thing.
The part with playing more? First I have no time to spent so much into the game. Second thing I already mentioned it on my first post.

I never said that noobs should not get to plat but as far as that goes “noobs” / beginners should not be able to rach plat at any way.
And yes I might be wrong but gw2 is a team based pvp game and therefore if you have 5 dps or 5 condis atleast one can swap to support. When I see people posting multiple losses with 1 class than I just wonder why they do comp pvp. You can’t play only the class you like to it’s not how the game is meant to be played.

At the end I don’t really care it’s just when I play against plat I want challanging games and not 500-200 with 3 cap and easy mode going on. People just don’t care but all complain and only a few know how to play proper. I see from 10 games 1 guy who’s good and escaping from fights while 90% of the players die on 1v1s or team fights while they could have easy run away.
Therefore I maybe do a few more games before my vacations just to troll around or achiev even higher winratio :-)

in PvP

albostan.6719

That guy did that kind of posts in the german forum also to push himself in the pvp scene or whatever his plan was/is. If no one follow his strategy at start he`s going crazy. On top he isnt that good to be top10, not a single time………

I really dont know what your mission is lad, but you wont get any flowers for beeing someone you not will be.

OK
Tell me or show me the one guy who played core build and made it from bronze into plat 3 within 25 games all on soloQ :-)

Oh and if you would read the first post you would know what this thread is all about…

And yes just cuz you said it I am a pro yu mad now?? x)

in PvP

albostan.6719

I’d say getting to 1800 as a supposedly non zerker power war soloq is even more kitten ing evidence. I didn’t know it was physically possible to lose to that.

Considering me and my buddy are running stuff like aura + necro, we should be stomping all the way to legend if this dude is doing fine in plat LMAO.

You have to try my build first before you judge it :-P
That’s my point the game is not as competitive as it should be.

in PvP

Luci.7018

A last thing:

First all all …

It’s not about me or anyone else it’s about the matchmaking :-O
Being able to get from bronze into highest tier within 25 games should not be possible first thing.
The part with playing more? First I have no time to spent so much into the game. Second thing I already mentioned it on my first post.

I never said that noobs should not get to plat but as far as that goes “noobs” / beginners should not be able to rach plat at any way.
And yes I might be wrong but gw2 is a team based pvp game and therefore if you have 5 dps or 5 condis atleast one can swap to support. When I see people posting multiple losses with 1 class than I just wonder why they do comp pvp. You can’t play only the class you like to it’s not how the game is meant to be played.

At the end I don’t really care it’s just when I play against plat I want challanging games and not 500-200 with 3 cap and easy mode going on. People just don’t care but all complain and only a few know how to play proper. I see from 10 games 1 guy who’s good and escaping from fights while 90% of the players die on 1v1s or team fights while they could have easy run away.
Therefore I maybe do a few more games before my vacations just to troll around or achiev even higher winratio :-)

Its not like ppl dont know , but rather they give up easily , or get frustrated when they domanated by an anti-class .
Just myself … if i see the enemy team is 100 points ahead , then i just loose a little hope and i w8 till the next game to have a chance , rather than grinding my teeth for an uphill battle .
Its in human nature .
Heck atleast in WvWvW i can change class or stay afk for 6 min in the base or join the zerg , if i have to face the same OP class over and over

The good part that you dont play much , that means you dont get frustrated by the afkers or the noobs eeing in plat

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in PvP

Posted by: Searven.4820

Searven.4820

First of all, no you did not start from bronze. Your skill rating was 1541. Thats plat 1 now. So of course you gonna start in high plat with 20wins in 25games.

Now you need 60 matches for leaderbord ranking. I honestly doubt that you are able to stay in plat3. Nevermind top 10. You just gonna get reked.

in PvP

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Blowouts.

True,

The Pvp is about mechanics and counter mechanics not builds.

One thing I’ve noticed is that old or unusual builds tend to be efficient simply because most have forgotten how to counteract them. There was a time when I used the hammer warrior, when it was no longer the meta, and the ppl just stood up to get hammered.

With my necro, I used the power-goal for a while, but over time I noticed that everyone knew how to counterattack it.

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I’m inclined to disagree.

There have always been “face roll” builds. You used to be able to stand on points as a bunker guardian literally just empowering on cooldown, or just mashing signets on necro on cooldown to win any 1v1.

Pre-HoT Guild Wars 2 really was nothing to be proud of, and PvP wasn’t alone in this. In WvW only 4 classes were really valued (with 1-2 mesmers around just for veils), and PvE was about standing in corners using ice bows and fiery greatswords.

While I agree that Heart of Thorns introduced a lot of power creep and passivity, especially with regard to the scrapper and berserker, it’s no “easier” or “harder” to play than it ever was.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Posted by: Naix.8156

Naix.8156

I’m inclined to disagree.

There have always been “face roll” builds.

While I agree that Heart of Thorns introduced a lot of power creep and passivity, especially with regard to the scrapper and berserker, it’s no “easier” or “harder” to play than it ever was.

I don’t think that pre-HoT PvP should be put on a pedestal for other PvP games to look to, but you’ve massively understated passivity of post-HoT.

Pre-HoT the dev’s had a philosophy they referred to as ‘holes in roles’ to both encourage teamwork to cover you weaknesses and limit or prevent apex builds (i.e. good at everything). HoT flushed that philosophy as the elite specs are largely patches to weakness in the core profession. In general post-HoT skills/traits are often doing to many things at once without any trade off or opportunity cost.

You’ve also just hand waved the time line of HoT as well. Even after having years experience with pre-HoT live to players, making shaves and tweaks etc to the power level of individual skills/traits, the dev’s introduced HoT at a very large step change in power creep. So large in fact that spent months nerfing and nerfing and nerfing trying to cut down the grotesque power creep bomb that had been unleashed.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I prefer the meta we have now much more to the stack d/d eles meta we had before HoT.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I don’t play ranked because the match quality is not good enough. The rewards aren’t high enough for me to put up with being fed to high level teams.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

I don’t think that pre-HoT PvP should be put on a pedestal for other PvP games to look to, but you’ve massively understated passivity of post-HoT. Pre-HoT the dev’s had a philosophy they referred to as ‘holes in roles’ to both encourage teamwork to cover you weaknesses and limit or prevent apex builds (i.e. good at everything).

If that was their design philosophy, they very poorly executed it. Celestial amulets made builds that were literally “good at everything,” and the meta was dominated by builds running it for years until they forced its removal in 2016.

Even still in 2017, Celestial builds absolutely dominate WvW.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Posted by: Naix.8156

Naix.8156

If that was their design philosophy, they very poorly executed it. Celestial amulets made builds that were literally “good at everything,” and the meta was dominated by builds running it for years until they forced its removal in 2016.

Even still in 2017, Celestial builds absolutely dominate WvW.

It certainly wasn’t perfect, but each prof having some baked in weakness or shortcoming was a good thing imo. I also get the impression you missed out on most if not all of the pre-HoT days.

Not sure how cele ami being a borked stat combo both before and after HoT dropped, or the current meta in wvw in 2017 has much to do with anything but do go on…

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The reason you play unranked instead of ranked is because either you want to queue with more than 2 people or because you are a rating care bear who is afraid of losing his rating
There is a reason that being on the leaderboards requires a minimum amount of games played. The less games you have played, the less accurate your rating will be.
The key to being high up on the leader boards appears to be duo queuing dead hours anyway though, so who cares.

Actually the reason for minimum games is that players were getting “top” positions by playing as few games as possible.

Protecting my rating? well, kinda. Under the current situation I’m almost certain to be fed to high ranking players if I queue. The population is low enough that to give “fun” games to high levels the MM sacrifices low-mid level players.

I lose less rating simply by allowing decay to run. More importantly, I see no reason to play punching bag for the high level players.. particularly considering the way many of them act.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

I also get the impression you missed out on most if not all of the pre-HoT days.

Why, because I just so happen to disagree with you?

I have a day-one account and have ~4,000 games played in Guild Wars 2 PvP—most of which were obviously before Heart of Thorns. How about you?

Not sure how cele ami being a borked stat combo both before and after HoT dropped, or the current meta in wvw in 2017 has much to do with anything but do go on…

Only so much that it pertains to your comment where you said they intended to “encourage teamwork to cover you weaknesses and limit or prevent apex builds (i.e. good at everything)” despite not really showing any evidence of it.

Guild Wars 2 pre-HoT was not populated by “teamwork” builds. Not only was pretty much every single Celestial build completely self-sufficient in team fights, but most of them were also pretty competent duelists.

Just look no further than how d/d elementalist performed compared to tempest today. Or shoutbow warrior versus berserker. Or cele necro versus marauder reaper. I’m almost more inclined to believe that it’s you that has very little pre-HoT PvP experience—or just that you’re simply remembering it incorrectly.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Celestial was only dominant after they did the massive merge the kitten out of traits change and gave everyone might stacking for free. Cele ele used to not be a huge problem because they sacrificed the utility and stats of runes to max boon duration. The giant patch where they remade every rune and gave out a ton of boons allowed celestial to grow in power indirectly because everyone could get a bit of everything and cover weakness in damage with might stacking without sacrificing stats or utility from their runes as well. Cele was never the problem, anet balancing stuff pre hot by just adding boons to it was the reason for the “Cele meta”. Yes every pvp era had their overperforming builds but imo around that time the game was still less spam heavy and passive because everything was still combo based in order to accomplish stuff not 12345 12345 12345 until your passive procs a passive that makes a passive do something with another passive that crashes the game for everyone.

I got a bit ranty but hopefully there was a point to be made in there somewhere.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

Celestial was only dominant after they did the massive merge the kitten out of traits change and gave everyone might stacking for free.

Celestial was dominant long before the pre-HoT trait overhaul.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Ario.8964

Celestial was only dominant after they did the massive merge the kitten out of traits change and gave everyone might stacking for free.

It was only used on engi, ele, and war prior to that. The huge overhaul brought it to use in every other prof. Unless I missed something which is possible because early cele era was when I really started getting into pvp. This is just what I saw.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

It was only used on engi, ele, and war prior to that. The huge overhaul brought it to use in every other prof. Unless I missed something which is possible because early cele era was when I really started getting into pvp. This is just what I saw.

I think I started around when Virtue Bunker Guardians were the kings of Kyhlo with Hammer/Sword+Shield. NA didn’t really go for AH Bunker until later. Then it was Condi meta with Engi + IP, and then Warriors finally get Cleansing Ire and enter the meta with Hammer/Longbow.

After that, it was the Cele stat adjustment (total stat increase of 23-27%?) and Ele/Engi/Warrior the only classes able to take full advantage of all stats. Warriors could pump out 7k Evicerates even in Cele.

Pre-overhaul, I was one of those Cele Eles in queue. 25 Might was not difficult to get and just going through rotations can pressure off anyone in a 1v1 (unless it’s another Cele Ele). I believe the counter was double ranged Power Mes.

I focused on RL after that and had no idea of the overhaul, it must have been rough.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Ario.8964

I think I started around when Virtue Bunker Guardians were the kings of Kyhlo with Hammer/Sword+Shield. NA didn’t really go for AH Bunker until later. Then it was Condi meta with Engi + IP, and then Warriors finally get Cleansing Ire and enter the meta with Hammer/Longbow.

After that, it was the Cele stat adjustment (total stat increase of 23-27%?) and Ele/Engi/Warrior the only classes able to take full advantage of all stats. Warriors could pump out 7k Evicerates even in Cele.

Pre-overhaul, I was one of those Cele Eles in queue. 25 Might was not difficult to get and just going through rotations can pressure off anyone in a 1v1 (unless it’s another Cele Ele). I believe the counter was double ranged Power Mes.

I focused on RL after that and had no idea of the overhaul, it must have been rough.

I was playing cele engi during that time. I had started playing a few months before the big cele era and was just learning engi with static discharge cause it was fun while trying to master s/d thief. Then cele engi became my favorite thing to play because of how combo reliant it was and how useful each skill could be. I got to a level where at the time I probably could’ve tried competing in tournies with good success but it was too late because soon after they did the overhaul.

The overhaul was where the powercreep began. It took a ton of traits from all the classes and either made them baseline or merged them. It effectively eliminated the need for sacrifices when building and then when HoT came out it finished the job by patching weaknesses within each prof so everyone could have their “perfect build” that does everything with no sacrifice.

Now that I think back, I know I’ll probably get some hate for it but I wish I could go back to the cele era if not just to play my engi again. That build just had such a nice flow.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Most of the old traits were utter garbage (hell, some of the merged ones are still too bad to use!), Anet did the right thing.

When people would rather use a second or third minor trait over a master or grandmaster one, something is terribly wrong.

in PvP

Ario.8964

I agree it was necessary for some things but some were merged needlessly and the way they reorganized traits made it worse. Example would be the thief, because you always needed trickery you would generally only want 1 offensive line so you normally would choose between going into crit strikes and taking executioner for spike damage in ganks or you went da for panic strike to immob targets at low hp so you could finish them off. Trait reorganization happens and they go into the same line, not same tier, just same line so now you can have both of your strong finisher traits and no sacrifice is needed for it.

in PvP

Posted by: ZiggyStardust.3194

ZiggyStardust.3194

I am just farming reward. Went to gold in few days from bronze, now easy farm going down I see at least 1 p/p or condi thief in my team, straight “easy relaxed loss”

Don’t waste your hard earned pennies for the broken game!