The lack of PvP items for Confusion builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Just curious why there is no armor or weapon sigils that add to confusion duration like there are for Burning, Bleeds, and Poisons. Of all the condition types, Confusion is the only one where the target has to choose to take damage … so its not like it is too powerful to have a +10/15% duration boost like all the other condi types in the game.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in PvP

Taldren.7523

bump for some answers.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

My guess is that most sigils and armor increase those conditions that deal direct damage. Increasing the duration there, can result in an extra tick (if the base duration is long enough, else the extra % duration is simply wasted.

Confusion doesn’t ‘tick’.
It’s like blind an ‘on use’ condition.
I don’t think there are many blind duration sigils or amors either.

It’s either the ticking conditions, or some boons like swiftness and protection and such.

This doesn’t really ‘explain’ any reason why.
I’m just pointing at the difference, and how i think that is the reason behind it.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: Oracle Fefe.5078

Oracle Fefe.5078

It’s not just items but traits.

The mesmer traits for confusion are all spread out, shatter build or not. You have three trees which support confusions along with dueling which has a good 25 minor trait for confusion.

I don’t think the other classes can even get as much confusion done, sadly.

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

If a trait increases conditon damage, it also increases confusion damage.

That’s how it works for engineers: quite a few kits, as well as the pistol main hand, have confusion in them.
To increase any of those, you need to increase condition damage in general.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

@Kimbald: You just completely missed the point, reread the initial post.

As for the actual question, its becoming very evident to me, from things just like this, the lack of duration increasing items, that confusion is not meant to be built around. The extremely low duration, combined with the potential for high damage when stacked well points towards a general usage of forcing people to take damage while in confusion. For example, take the attack combo of leaping into a blurred frenzy while leading with a few shatters to stack confusion up to 12-16. The person now has to choose between taking a ton of damage from the blurred frenzy, or using skills to escape that attack, while getting smacked for big damage from the confusion stacks. This way, it provides a method of forcing people to take confusion damage or taking weaponskill damage, as opposed to something that is just stacked high and hard like bleeds.

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

The post above yours was a reply to Oracle Fen, or better: it was elaborating on it.

My first post was showing how confusion was different from those conditions that have duration increases indeed, which is relevant to the question.

Confusion forces a choice the very moment itself, since it triggers from anything you do.
Increasing the duration would only be effective if the % increase was long enough, given the short duration of confusion usually.
10% or 15% won’t do much since you need to reach a full tick.

As for the possible reason why not to introducethese items for increased duration: confusion forces the choice upon you that moment itself, it’s putting you between a rock and a hard place. Scylla and Charybdis.
As you indeed show in your post Pyro.

Increasing duration on Confusion would possibly lenghten that choice, which is potentially OP.
The choice should be instant: react and take confusion damage, or don’t react and get other damage.

The pace of fighting in this game is so high that everyone uses some skill almost every half second as it is.
I don’t see that forcing people to wait even longer could be balanced all that well.

So that does return me to the point about condition damage: they allow you to make the confusion hit harder.
They don’t give you much option to make that decision last over an even longer period of time than it already does.

Think of confusion as something that is ‘instant’ for the enemy (it isn’t of course).
And you have the options to make that instant decision punish the enemy harder or not, just that.

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Great post. Truth is the sets were designed probably right before confusion was introduced and we never retrofit them. If we introduce a new set I will take this into account. Perhaps we could make a PvP version of one of the magic find sets, pirate for example, that does confusion. We will talk about this next week.

Thanks,

Jon

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

ok, this sort of puts everything we discussed aside.

The answer seems as simple as ‘oops, we didn’t do that one yet’

But Jon, unless you’re talking stricktly WvW, wouldn’t it be simpler to introduce sigils and runes for it?

Not that pirates can’t be confusing, but not getting it entirely I’m afraid.
(here Pyro would have a good point if he said I missed the point, because I feel like I do…)

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Yeah pirate set is a rune set. Hadn’t thought of sigil as well which also we can look at.

Jon

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Quite frankly I would like to see such set in PvE as well, considering that even with 33% confusion duration trait and 20 points in domination my Confusions from Cry of Frustration at best ticks twice on regularly attacking mobs, and I’m lucky to get one tick on bosses.

Or maybe the confusion from Cry of Frustration can be increased baseline in PvE at least.

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

Yeah pirate set is a rune set. Hadn’t thought of sigil as well which also we can look at.

Jon

thanks for clearing that up, didn’t link the name ‘pirate set’ to runes.

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

Quite frankly I would like to see such set in PvE as well, considering that even with 33% confusion duration trait and 20 points in domination my Confusions from Cry of Frustration at best ticks twice on regularly attacking mobs, and I’m lucky to get one tick on bosses.

Or maybe the confusion from Cry of Frustration can be increased baseline in PvE at least.

Not arguing, merely asking:

is confusion ever wasted on pve mobs?

I actually figured they would always do ‘something’ and get the damage anyhow. Never considered they might not.

I ask because I haven’t tackled much pve mobs that wait a long time between actions, except one or two event ‘giants’.

in PvP

Posted by: Silvermink.1456

Silvermink.1456

Wouldn’t any rune that increases condition duration effect this?

in PvP

Posted by: CarlSpackler.2789

CarlSpackler.2789

Wow imagine a game where the game designer is humble enough to say hmmm I hadn’t thought of that…./raises mug

in PvP

Posted by: aphoxi.4378

aphoxi.4378

Confusion doesn’t seem that effective on MOBs. It seems to me that in pvp it represents a powerful tool that isn’t given as much attention as it should be and if it were buffed either baseline or through gear we’d hear a LOT more crying than already on the mesmer forum.

in PvP

Posted by: ehtom.5047

ehtom.5047

Confusion doesn’t seem that effective on MOBs. It seems to me that in pvp it represents a powerful tool that isn’t given as much attention as it should be and if it were buffed either baseline or through gear we’d hear a LOT more crying than already on the mesmer forum.

I dont think so. Mesmer has 1 build that isnt terrible: shatter (which is OP). If they buffed confusion it would merely make condition mesmer builds actually viable instead of a joke.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I actually figured they would always do ‘something’ and get the damage anyhow. Never considered they might not.

I ask because I haven’t tackled much pve mobs that wait a long time between actions, except one or two event ‘giants’.

Confusion is often wasted on PvE mobs, yes. 4 additional seconds baselines to the duration of confusion in PvE would help a lot.

The trouble is that bosses don’t do attacks that trigger confusion often at all. Abominations are other mobs that do a lot of damage but attack slowly.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

Confusion is often wasted on PvE mobs, yes. 4 additional seconds baselines to the duration of confusion in PvE would help a lot.

The trouble is that bosses don’t do attacks that trigger confusion often at all. Abominations are other mobs that do a lot of damage but attack slowly.

Thanks. Hadn’t given it any thought outside of pvp at all thus far, hence my question.

in PvP

Taldren.7523

Great post. Truth is the sets were designed probably right before confusion was introduced and we never retrofit them. If we introduce a new set I will take this into account. Perhaps we could make a PvP version of one of the magic find sets, pirate for example, that does confusion. We will talk about this next week.

Thanks,

Jon

Does this mean that those items will make their way back into PvE and WvW?

in PvP

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

i think i am going to be sick, confusion damage /stacking is already insane enough as it is , adding duration to it would kill any class without alot of constant on demand condition removal

in PvP

Taldren.7523

Why do I picture some goth kid screaming “Why do you make me cut myself!” all of a sudden. Oh … Psychrome. Now I understand.