The portal mechanic should not be Mesmer-only

in PvP

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

I’m all for other classes having similar abilities to portals in terms of group mobility or personal relocation. I’m not at all okay with other classes having portals.

Make it something unique and fitting the class.

in PvP

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Done and had fun. Grenade kit is still good… And in any case I have said several times that before everyone gets so up in arms about portal not being available to every class there are still bugs in every class that need changed and addressed before adding the portal mechanic to it. And phantasmal disenchanter IS A JOKE… It never ever works. And lets not for get that phantasms now have a lag before their first attack because ANet bent over and let the qqer’s tell them that phantasms first attack happens to fast. Even though all phantasm summoning skills have some form of OBVIOUS cast animation. Yeah don’t get me started on how not viable Phantasm disenchanter is. We still can’t deal with boons as well as necros… The base of my argument stays that before the portal mechanic gets shared or spread around or some BS that we should let Anet fix all the bugs and problems with ALLL classes before adding another skill to them that will undoubtedly come with more bugs…. Please tell me you get my point there.

The base of your argument was the portal mechanic is unique and should stay mesmer, and later became fix the bugs first. There’s no arguing with you. I wouldn’t get too upset, your precious class is unlikely to ever be unviable, so no worries there. And phantasmal disenchanter doesn’t work? LOL, whatever you say pal.

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Choops.3710

I’m all for other classes having similar abilities to portals in terms of group mobility or personal relocation. I’m not at all okay with other classes having portals.

Make it something unique and fitting the class.

Yeah, this is what I mean. I’m completely in support of this. Obviously not an exact replica of Portal, but something very much fitting the class. Necro and Engi have been brought up, which makes the most sense conceptually to me.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Have you seen that thing used in dungeons? It removes per attack and the attack timing is horrible… Its an absolute joke. It also requires that the team and the target be with in a certain range of the phantasm and is complete crap… I don’t know of any mesmer friends that I play with who use phantasmal disenchanter. I have tried to give it a chance but it is terrible. And yes portal is unique and should stay mesmer but if you guys still won’t shut up about it and keep qqing even though you all still have amazing movement buffs (RTL, all sorts of signets that grant speed consistently) Then lets make sure all the other bugs get fixed first…. Asking for the portal mechanic to be universal amongst all classes is definitely going to bring a lot of bugs with it especially if each class gets some “unique flavor to it” as Diogo asked for… SO if Anet seriously considers adding a portal mechanic to all classes which I hope they don’t as I and others feel that it should stay mesmer these are things that should happen before or in conjunction with it

1. Fix all bugged traits/skills/weap skills so on for every class
2. Test the portal mechanic on the other classes THOROUGHLY before introducing it into the game
3. IF the portal mechanic gets spread around all the nerfs that have been put on the mesmer portal need removed. This means making the cool down back to 60 seconds and removing the limit on times it can be used. Hell I’d be okay with the mechanic being spread and they let portal stay something static and only limited the uses.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Choops.3710

I don’t see the relevance of how it works in dungeons due to this being, ya know, the sPvP forums. I run with it when I play my mesmer and with many games of testing have seen it make quite a difference. Personal opinion I suppose. And the whole ‘movement’ issue is old. You can’t move fast all the time. Wow, that sucks. Besides that, your tool kit is amazing and more than capable of handling just about everything that’s thrown at you. You’re not going to be in a bad place if everyone gets portal. Not even close. What this is is a discussion about why the portal mechanic shouldn’t be just for mesmers. We know the bugs need to be fixed. We know that should be priority. Shut up about it, it’s not adding to the discussion. If you have any cool ideas/suggestions/discrepancies that are on topic and helpful in anyway to what is being discussed, please, let’s hear it. If you’re just going to keep saying that bugs need to be fixed, stfu and gtfo.

in PvP

jportell.2197

I already said in an earlier post that an engineer portal gun would be cool. But my line of thinking is the same as AneomeMeters… It has just gotten derailed… But in all honesty would you not be okay with the current nerfs on mesmer portals being removed or even buffed if this change were to ever take effect?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Choops.3710

I would rather any added portal like abilities have the same stipulations as the mesmer’s portal currently has.

in PvP

jportell.2197

That is something that would tick off most of the mesmer population right there because we were already ticked about the nerfs to begin with… If the mechanic gets shared the mesmers needs buffed back up to where it was to begin with. That way it can be like okay these classes have a portalling but its still not as good as mesmers. Kind of like most classes have AOE heals but not as good as an ele’s. Or boon removal but not as good as a necros. Or stealth but not as good as a thieves. Plus with the current portal restrictions (the kitten 90sec cool down) It’s uses are still very limited… The current way portal is used it can only be used every 90 seconds/2 minutes depending on how long it takes for the second one to be dropped… Also another thing that people seem to be not grasping is portal is normally only used by the mesmer and maybe one or two other people in its current state it still leaves the mesmer vulnerable while they are poking along to the second portal drop area… And other people have also said that when a mesmer equips portal they most likely don’t have the burst spec that other people ALWAYS gripe about even when it is still a joke compared to others or another defensive slot… So while it has good group utility it leaves the caster in a vulnerable state sacrificing something in order to equip portal…. I think that is why ANET designed the 10 skill bar instead of a bagillion skills all over the keyboard.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

AnemoneMeer.7182

I already said in an earlier post that an engineer portal gun would be cool. But my line of thinking is the same as AneomeMeters… It has just gotten derailed… But in all honesty would you not be okay with the current nerfs on mesmer portals being removed or even buffed if this change were to ever take effect?

Personally, I think the cooldown is just fine, but the portal’s lingering duration isn’t. Portal exit should last longer, but the cooldown should stay at 90 seconds.

Necromancer could get a sort of shadow summon skill that brings allies and enemies in a specific area to them instantly, ala AoE blink that requires the area to be pre-set and lacks the reach/two way of portal, instead being able to pull enemies off a point as well.

Phantasmal disenchanter’s effectiveness relies on the enemies inability to notice it. In sPvP and tPvP play, a ranged attacker can sink one to two shots into it, killing it before it acts

(edited by AnemoneMeer.7182)

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Seems like people really don’t care about the mesmer’s skills at all. They just want mesmers out of the game.

in PvP

jportell.2197

Seems like people really don’t care about the mesmer’s skills at all. They just want mesmers out of the game.

The more posts i read about stuff like this the more I feel that way… :/ Its such a fun class and really has a higher skill cap than people try to give it credit for.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The more posts i read about stuff like this the more I feel that way… :/ Its such a fun class and really has a higher skill cap than people try to give it credit for.

If you go to the Mesmer forums, people are whining about how strong XX skill is (people who don’t play the class).

If you proceed to read the comments, it’s mostly people saying: This is easy to counter, you can do X, Y, or Z. Also, try learning a Mesmer before saying they’re ridiculously overpowered. They take a LOT of skill to play correctly.

I, myself, have been running around and playing as if I’m using a Concert Piano, but if I make a single mistake, it usually means a death, especially when playing ridiculously challenging opponents.

Portal has already been nerfed, if people want every class to have a Portal, then ANet should also re-buff Portal to what it was before.

It’s not like it would be any different, since everyone can already Portal, anyways. (And it’s not like it’s going to break WvW or anything.)

Recap on the WvW break: Both re-buffing Portal and giving Portals to everyone would do that.

Additionally, Thieves have a Portal/Blink-type skill, Elementalists have a Blink-type skill. Engineers have a Staff2/Blink-type skill. Warriors and Guardians have gigantic gap-closers/leaps. Necromancers have… I don’t even know, this is the profession where I have the least knowledge.

in PvP

jportell.2197

If you go to the Mesmer forums, people are whining about how strong XX skill is (people who don’t play the class).

If you proceed to read the comments, it’s mostly people saying: This is easy to counter, you can do X, Y, or Z. Also, try learning a Mesmer before saying they’re ridiculously overpowered. They take a LOT of skill to play correctly.

Portal has already been nerfed, if people want every class to have a Portal, then ANet should also re-buff Portal to what it was before.

It’s not like it would be any different, since everyone can already Portal, anyways. (And it’s not like it’s going to break WvW or anything.)

Recap on the WvW break: Both re-buffing Portal and giving Portals to everyone would do that.

Additionally, Thieves have a Portal/Blink-type skill, Elementalists have a Blink-type skill. Engineers have a Staff2/Blink-type skill. Warriors and Guardians have gigantic gap-closers/leaps. Necromancers have… I don’t even know, this is the profession where I have the least knowledge.

Yeah that is one thing that has not been thought of… If all other classes get something along the lines of Portal WvW will be screweeeedddd… Cuz then its we don’t have to make sure no mesmers are in the keep we have to make sure NOOONE is in the keep and so on. Someone mentioned in another thread the law of unintended consequences… Spreading portal around like that would most likely be one of those unintended consequences and the suggestion made here would in sure that the portal mechanic would become part of PvE for all the classes that get it….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

This is what I’ve been saying all along in all the “portal is OP” topics: Share the skill on more then the Mesmer. Players aren’t really mad about the skill, but the exclusiveness of it. I would love to see the Engineer have some kind of personal catapult turret, that works like a portal like Jump Shot. Then just watch players fly all over the place!

And then you have a class with way more CC than the mesmer, that is great at bunkering, completely replacing the mesmer because the mesmer has nothing to offer to a group other than his damage and portal.

Necros remove boons much more easily. ele/engi/warrior cc much better. Warrior and thief do better damage, especially sustained. guardians and eles tank and boon up the best.

Mesmers are brought for shatter spec and portal. Take either of those away and nobody will bring a mesmer because the other classes can fulfill other tasks better.

They just need to limit the people that can be portaled in spvp to the mesmer and one more person and deny any more portaling after that.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

As I’ve already said, portal is demanded in pvp, and is making the mesmers the equivalent of the Monk class. If devs want to keep preventing the existence of Monk-like classes, that are needed for specific formats of the game, I can only see two solutions:

1) Give diferent kinds of party-warping or self back-to-point warping to several professions. GW1’s pve did something similar: elementalists had an elite that allowed them to effectively use monk’s prot skills; ritualist healing skills were effective at making hybrid heal-damage classes, and they had an excellent substitute build for monk’s prot skills; necromancers had the energy gain to use monk/ ritualist skills for good hybrid builds too; Paragons (although nerfed) had tools for hybrid heal-damage builds too.

2) Or nerf Portal. Keep nerfing Portal until Mesmers are no longer 100% needed for a party. However, because the portal mechanics add an interesting kind of strategy to pvp, and because nerfing and nerfing might risk making it useless, the entire pvp format might lose depth with this. Mesmers will also get further nerfed. But at least we’ll get a more diversified party-building, which makes this a much better change for pvp as a whole, at the cost of mesmers.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

DaShi.1368

Then they should look at the Guardian and the ele. Those are required classes. By giving every class portal the only change you make is to remove the mesmer from the match. People still aren’t going to want engineers, warriors, or necros. They’ll want thieves, guardians, and eles who can now port. They will be even less diversity.

All I see from your posts here is “remove the mesmer from tPvP.” We get it. You hate the profession.

(edited by DaShi.1368)

in PvP

Choops.3710

Then they should look at the Guardian and the ele. Those are required classes. By giving every class portal the only change you make is to remove the mesmer from the match. People still aren’t going to want engineers, warriors, or necros. They’ll want thieves, guardians, and eles who can now port. They will be even less diversity.

All I see from your posts here is “remove the mesmer from tPvP.” We get it. You hate the profession.

I think this is one of those ‘you see what you want to see’ sort of moments. The OP has been polite, respectful and intelligent with his responses but it keeps going back to the plight of mesmers. Get over yourselves, he makes good points, no one wants to remove mesmers from the game, we just want to make it so they’re not required for tournaments. What’s wrong with that? A good player will have a spot, mesmer or not.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I think this is one of those ‘you see what you want to see’ sort of moments. The OP has been polite, respectful and intelligent with his responses but it keeps going back to the plight of mesmers. Get over yourselves, he makes good points, no one wants to remove mesmers from the game, we just want to make it so they’re not required for tournaments. What’s wrong with that? A good player will have a spot, mesmer or not.

No. When it comes to spots, you take a kitten guardian and ele. Eles and guardians in a conquest mode are not “optional”.

in PvP

DaShi.1368

It’s quite clear that his issue isn’t about portal:

“Or nerf Portal. Keep nerfing Portal until Mesmers are no longer 100% needed for a party. "

He clearly sees nerfing portal as a means to an end. The end is removing mesmers.

in PvP

Choops.3710

What’s wrong with Mesmers not being 100% needed for a party? Ideally in a perfect world you would have 5 people, regardless of class and still have a shot at winning. This suggestion of giving other people portal is a means to that end. The end does not appear to be removing mesmers. I really think you’re reading too much into it.

in PvP

DaShi.1368

Dismiss my argument all you want, it won’t change the facts here.

He specifically states that his purpose is the limit the role of mesmers in the game.

The problem is that guardians, eles, and thieves are just as required as mesmers, if not more so. Reducing the role of mesmers in the game will not improve it at all. People will just bring more guardians, eles, and thieves. There is no reason to single mesmers out for removal, except for personal reasons.

in PvP

Posted by: Macha.9160

Macha.9160

Choops, it’s about everything that is going on in these forums.

Nerf Portal / Remove Portal / Share Portal
Nerf TW / Remove TW
Nerf Dmg of Shatters

etc. etc.

IF everthing goes through as everyone suggest then there will be no need or even a tiny benefit to have a Mesmer in your Party.

Because the only needed Skills (in which a mesmer is the best) is TW and Portal. In everything else there is another class that can do it as good as or even better than a Mesmer.

I can’t say it more then now. Think about the class for which you want a nerf. Tell me What else does a Mesmer contribute to a sPvP /W³ / Pve Party?
Condition Remove? There are other classes.
Damage? There are other classes.
Support? Yeah, there we rock, but if you take these skills away there are other classes that will be MUCH better with better damage-output and better condition-remove AND support…

in PvP

jportell.2197

We still aren’t 100% needed for tournies… Rarely is there a tournament when I use portal unless my team asks me too… Reason being? They ALL have speed buffs that get them there faster than I could so by the time I could even drop the second portal they are there… You may be thinking “You don’t even flipping use portal why do you care?” I care because like all other mesmer comparisons/complaints/nerf requests… I know it will not stop at portal… People have already pointed out classes that have some form of portal mechanic… Thieves shadow step for instance… Except “shadow return” lasts a lot longer… Our crowd control is a joke compared to engineers(I know you think engi’s are useless in PVP god knows why.) But an engineer with tool kit grenade kit and a flame thrower or bomb kit have the BEST CC in the game… IN pvp they can pull and push players around like rag dolls not to mention they have a weapon skill that reflects projectiles better better than our utility skill (Which is so buggy that it hardly works right). All these other classes have a lot of stuff that Mesmers don’t which as the OP said about Portal are CORE MECHANICS TO THE GAME (blocking, blnking, movement buffs) and mesmers have one weapon skill that actually blocks (cuz who the hell uses a scepter) and BF which we can use as often as other classes can use a block so there are CORE mechanics to a game that a mesmer doesn’t have that prolly won’t get shared. Also there are other classes which already have some form of portal/blinking/ instantaneous travel mechanic that a mesmer only has two of (staff 2 and blink) IMO opinion I don’t see portal as fully instantaneous because it still requires the mesmer to do the leg work of running to the exit location. I think whether or not the mesmer needs portal is a matter of opinion not something that has been proven. And there is no need to limit portal to Mesmer and one other person because if the portal scenario plays out how you make it out then mesmers won’t even use it since they are dropping the second portal right on the enemies.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

jportell.2197

Quick little survey amongst this thread I just did. We have ( unless my counting is way off lets hope not) 11 people for LEAVE PORTAL ALONE (including me) 6 for nerf/share/remove portal… And a couple I didn’t count cuz they were troll posts… Definitely not representative of the entire game population or even everyone with an opinion… But thought it would give people a little perspective on this argument.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Choops.3710

There’s really no point in putting my 2 cents in anymore, as it’s quite clear that no matter what the facts may state, it’s falling on deaf ears. Poor, poor mesmers. I hope you guys can survive with how bad you have it. Cheers.

in PvP

jportell.2197

Your facts are outshined by the other facts that we have put up sir all of which have been dismissed. I just want the bugs to be fixed and I want some of the things that make mesmers viable for groups to stay in our class.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

Because the devs have clearly stated that they want all professions to be able to do the same roles, but simply do them in a distinct way, Mesmers doing a single role that no one else can do downright contradicts the intentions of the devs. For that reason, the map warping mechanic chuld be shared among several professions, and be different enough to keep Portal – and Mesmer’s identity distinct.

So far, the counter-arguments have been weak, because their posters are either interpreting this thread wrongly, or because they don’t understand the difference between a format-defining mechanic and a flavourful mechanic.

Most of the things that make profs required in this game are due to balance. If Time Warp, Guardians, Eles, etc, are all “required”, it’s because they are too strong. However, sometimes, it’s not only balance that dictates the requirement of a mechanic, but design. The devs have designed a mechanic that is as important to pvp as point-warping, stun-breaking, rezzing, etc, but unlike all those mentioned, they sticked it to a single class. This is a problem unlike any other.

A Guardian can be the best bunker, but the mechanics to make a bunker work exist for all/ most professions – it just requires some balancing work. Any profession can be a roamer, or any profession can bring a specific core utility mechanic for pvp, with the exception of Portal’s mechanics.

That’s the diference between Portal, and everything else,be it Mesmer-related or not.

Also, the Mesmer is my second favourite profession in Guild Wars 2. But as long as it’s demanded for pvp, much like any other profession that is demanded for pvp, it’ll keep getting nerfed. I’m not saying this because I hate Mesmers. I’m saying this because it’s the most natural, logical and obvious thing that will happen, anyone or almost anyone is expecting the devs to do it sooner or later, the devs’ intentions are clearly stated that they wish to create an environment where each class is about as equal as possible, and so they’ll have to do something.

This is my proposal to fix a very specific problem without nerfing it further, or at least without nerfing it much further. It’s not as much about wishing that a profession will get nerfed, but knowing for sure that it’ll get nerfed and trying to propose the best way to handle/ fix that.

in PvP

jportell.2197

The devs have also stated that changes made to classes would be gradual… Trying to incorporate a mechanic like portal and make it a skill available to all other classes is quite drastic don’t you think? Our arguments have not been weak either they have provided sound reasoning and a rationale that should make sense… My main rationale that you all know by now is the fixing of bugs in all classes before something like this is even considered. After which I am still against it because other classes still have “fast travel” like abilities maybe not exactly like portal but still faster than anything else a mesmer can offer aside from portal. It has gotten nerfed and if this were to get implemented it needs rebuffed or even buffed higher to help mesmers maintain their usefulness when it comes to portal. It really isn’t a core mechanic to game play however it is just useful for certain situations and I think if new Pvp maps come about which I understand is already been worked on and will most likely come out in Feb. The portal mechanic will become a lot less important than some of you think it already is now.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

ARE you crazy ? I main a mesmer and let me tell you this, the last thing we need is a buff.

Outside of elemenatlist and then gaurdian we are the third most in demand class. RUn by nearly every top team, many of whom will tell you the power of having a mesmer is amazing.
IN organized voice program teams, portal and timewarp are quite frankly , basically OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

It’s funny, all of this Portal wackiness. I’d honestly almost hope some other class gets a mass-transit ability, so folk stop expecting us to cart folks around all over Tyria.
Hell, I rarely use that or TW, unless asked – I prefer Stealth/Blinking/Defensive Glamours.
(shrug)

EDIT: As for bunkering – that’s a funny arguement, when one considers that Mesmers were a certain degree better at it, then Illusionary Membrane got modified. Although, one can still get a decent bit tanky, with high Chaos and/or Inspiration.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in PvP

Choops.3710

The devs have also stated that changes made to classes would be gradual… Trying to incorporate a mechanic like portal and make it a skill available to all other classes is quite drastic don’t you think? Our arguments have not been weak either they have provided sound reasoning and a rationale that should make sense… My main rationale that you all know by now is the fixing of bugs in all classes before something like this is even considered. After which I am still against it because other classes still have “fast travel” like abilities maybe not exactly like portal but still faster than anything else a mesmer can offer aside from portal. It has gotten nerfed and if this were to get implemented it needs rebuffed or even buffed higher to help mesmers maintain their usefulness when it comes to portal. It really isn’t a core mechanic to game play however it is just useful for certain situations and I think if new Pvp maps come about which I understand is already been worked on and will most likely come out in Feb. The portal mechanic will become a lot less important than some of you think it already is now.

STILL not listening. No other class has MASS FAST TRAVEL. I don’t see how swiftness (most times only affecting the person who used it) is comparable to an ability that has the capacity to teleport an entire team over a great distance. Your arguments are weak. Every time someone says something that completely shatters your argument you turn it around into ‘my main point is we need to fix the bugs’ which obviously everyone will agree with, and then your second point is always ‘mesmers should be required for all teams, don’t give portal to anyone else’ which is infuriating, to say the least. So far your rationale for other classes not getting a portal type ability has been ’it’s a mesmer gameplay mechanic’ (it’s not), ‘other classes have a fast travel ability like portal, even if it’s not exactly like it’ (they don’t) and ‘without portal, there would be no reason to bring a mesmer and we would be lacking’ (you wouldn’t be). Your arguments are terrible and not constructive at all. We get it. Mesmer is your favorite class and you don’t want to see it changed, but whether or not you want to see it, your class possesses abilities that no one else has access to that make your class absolutely required to bring along, unless you want to handicap yourself from the get go. It goes against ANet’s manifesto for what they want this game to accomplish. There’s no way to argue that, it just does.

in PvP

DaShi.1368

Because the devs have clearly stated that they want all professions to be able to do the same roles, but simply do them in a distinct way, Mesmers doing a single role that no one else can do downright contradicts the intentions of the devs. For that reason, the map warping mechanic chuld be shared among several professions, and be different enough to keep Portal – and Mesmer’s identity distinct.

So far, the counter-arguments have been weak, because their posters are either interpreting this thread wrongly, or because they don’t understand the difference between a format-defining mechanic and a flavourful mechanic.

Most of the things that make profs required in this game are due to balance. If Time Warp, Guardians, Eles, etc, are all “required”, it’s because they are too strong. However, sometimes, it’s not only balance that dictates the requirement of a mechanic, but design. The devs have designed a mechanic that is as important to pvp as point-warping, stun-breaking, rezzing, etc, but unlike all those mentioned, they sticked it to a single class. This is a problem unlike any other.

A Guardian can be the best bunker, but the mechanics to make a bunker work exist for all/ most professions – it just requires some balancing work. Any profession can be a roamer, or any profession can bring a specific core utility mechanic for pvp, with the exception of Portal’s mechanics.

That’s the diference between Portal, and everything else,be it Mesmer-related or not.

People were not misinterpreting what you were saying. What you said before was not exactly the same as what you are saying now. Please don’t blame us if the conversation wasn’t going the way you intended. That said, the above is a much better argument for each profession having a means of group fast travel.

Now the issue is that some professions are better at these core mechanics than others. While any profession can be a roamer, top teams are going to choose thieves for this role because they are the best at it. Guardians and eles are always going to be chosen as bunkers. Adding group fast travel to each profession will only make people look at which is the best for that. It may end up being the engineer. Then ~100% of teams will bring engineers. Or it may be that the eles are the best at it. So teams will just consist of guardians, eles, and thieves. Giving every profession group fast travel won’t really solve the problem of certain professions being chosen over others in tPvP.

What we really need are more viable strategies than the current meta. We need strategies that work that require people to bring necros, for example. We also need strategies that work that don’t require to people to bring necros. Every profession needs to have something that can contribute significantly to one or more of several viable strategies for winning.

in PvP

AnemoneMeer.7182

Well, this has gotten a little off of topic, so lets try to bring it back on topic.

So far, neither side seems opposed to the idea of other classes getting mass transit (Read: Not portal) skills that are different from portal, but still get enite groups from Point A to Point B. So, instead of bickering over what giving a carbon copy of portal to another class will do, why don’t we come up with what we’d both like to see from mass transit skills that are different from portal?

in PvP

Posted by: renegade.4851

renegade.4851

if they bring portal to other professions then I’d like to see arenanet give mesmers more mobility (which they promised before but never did). As of right now mesmers have one of the worst, if not the worst mobility in the game. Portal was helping us with our mobility but since you guys want to make it not a class specific skill

in PvP

Choops.3710

Well, this has gotten a little off of topic, so lets try to bring it back on topic.

So far, neither side seems opposed to the idea of other classes getting mass transit (Read: Not portal) skills that are different from portal, but still get enite groups from Point A to Point B. So, instead of bickering over what giving a carbon copy of portal to another class will do, why don’t we come up with what we’d both like to see from mass transit skills that are different from portal?

Engineer seems the obvious choice (though I could be biased, as I main engi). Call it Wayfare Gate or something, classify it as a gadget, same general function as Portal, maybe slightly longer CD so that way Mesmers can still be beautiful, unique snowflakes, and possibly make the toolbelt skill something minor, like a 2 second immobolize or something.

in PvP

jportell.2197

ARE you crazy ? I main a mesmer and let me tell you this, the last thing we need is a buff.

Outside of elemenatlist and then gaurdian we are the third most in demand class. RUn by nearly every top team, many of whom will tell you the power of having a mesmer is amazing.
IN organized voice program teams, portal and timewarp are quite frankly , basically OP.

How do your teams perform with organized voice chat and say no mesmer? I think any team that is organized and has voice chat will still be very good and hard to beat.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

jportell.2197

I rescind arguments made. Devs are looking at spreading portal mechanic around. Good show though.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Most likely confirmed by the recent podcast.
I predict necros or engineers getting portal.

in PvP

jportell.2197

Yeah those classes need something… Last things that need more buffs Guardians/Thieves/Ele’s… If it goes through I hope something happens to mesmer portal. Maybe a shorter cooldown or keep the cooldown the same and move it to elite… Cuz yeah tis that good.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Sand Beagle.9867

Sand Beagle.9867

I think a warrior should also get a portal ability. Perhaps the warrior’s elite skill can cause him to go into a rage-induced supersonic frenzy and hundred blades the very fabric of time and space itself, and create a wormhole to a location of his choosing.

The theory behind this is the warrior’s god-like combination of quickness, power, and precision, which allows him to use immense angular momentum to alter the subatomic rotation of the matter around him, consequently changing the conformation of elementary particles, specifically gravitons, and altering their inter-molecular forces, creating a tunnel through time and space.

Also the hawking radiation generated by the creation of this wormhole causes condition damage to all targets who pass through/near it and has an aoe-damage radius of 450 units. Cooldown: 240 seconds. Activation time: 10 seconds.

in PvP

jportell.2197

For such a long cooldown and activation time… I’d like to see it haha

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Shadow trap confirmed for buff.
Infiltrator strike confirmed for 60s of Infiltration.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’ll put this here as well as this seems to be the only board that gets listened to by the devs.

I hope this goes through so finally people can stop whining and using Portal as an excuse for why Mesmers shouldn’t have obvious sub par/unbalanced areas buffed up to be on par with other classes. Scrap Moa and put something useful in its place as well.

Though we should get a new skill to match the number of skills to the other classes that will get Portal added.

in PvP

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

Just remove the god kitten thing and be done with it. This skill has caused so much controversy that I’d happily see it go in an instant. I’m sick of getting nerfed to hell and back. We are already lacking in so many areas and bugged in the rest. There is little reason beyond portal/shatter burst to even bring a mesmer along. This is not balancing, this is going the WoW route, homogenizing classes until nobody is unique and everyone does everything. We may not be there yet, but mark my words, if we do not stop it now, history WILL repeat itself.

in PvP

AnemoneMeer.7182

Engineer seems the obvious choice (though I could be biased, as I main engi). Call it Wayfare Gate or something, classify it as a gadget, same general function as Portal, maybe slightly longer CD so that way Mesmers can still be beautiful, unique snowflakes, and possibly make the toolbelt skill something minor, like a 2 second immobolize or something.

Slight miss there. I distinctly said with differences from mesmer portals. Not mesmer portals with a new name and a different cooldown.

Personally, I think that outside of the absolute basics for the game, classes should have entirely unique abilities. Wouldn’t be fun if every class was interchangable afterall.

in PvP

Choops.3710

How would a mass transit skill work besides how it does for portal? Engineer makes a golf cart that all his friends can hop into and ride to another point? Mass transit has become a basic of tournament play, if it doesn’t instantly bring the members to another point it’s pretty useless and will result in, you guessed it, mesmers still being required. Since I missed, let’s hear your idea.

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

I was surprised when the devs confirmed their plans for this. Considering how soon they did it, I wonder if they were influenced by this thread, or if they have been discussing this idea for a longer time. Probably the later, and I suppose my noobish notion in game design allowed me to kinda predict it haha.

Anyways, I have given some suggestions for Engineer, Necro and Elem. I like my Engineer’s suggestion the best, followed by Necro: a portal kit or utility that would be more unpredictable or restricted than the Mesmer’s, but with extra secondary tools from the toolbelt or from the several options of the kit itself, if it was a kit. Flavourwise, Necro’s Underworld Portal might make sense, and my ideas revolved around having it spread demons/ minions, requiring health sacrifice, or simply restricted to necros and their minions only. I like those two ideas the best, and it happens that they are right for underpowered classes.

But we can look at Thief’s trap for more distinct ways to implement it.

in PvP

jportell.2197

I like the application of the necro for its minions ensures that mesmer portal stays distinct for group utility and the engineer portal kit may have a few too many moving parts to get going right off the bat. Last thing that ele’s need is more mobility options. I am sorry but they already bring more to the table than any class in the game.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

I am sorry but they already bring more to the table than any class in the game.

This logic also applies to current shatter mesmers, though, which are uber strong with or without Portal and Time Warp. I’m sure bunker eles will get nerfed someday, and to be honest, Portal-like warping works better with burst builds than with bunker builds, which eles are not as good at.

in PvP

jportell.2197

The fact that Ele’s can burst, bunker, and have mobility to match a thieves w/o a portal mechanic already makes them too much. Also in general mesmers that slot portal are not going to be as burst heavy as mesmers that slot for burst or mesmers that slot all defensive skills (null field/feed back/arc thievery). My point is D/d ele’s don’t need anything else to make them more viable. The only class that can bunker better than them are guardians and even then it isn’t by much and they can spit half a map distance instantaneously with out having to drop an initial portal somewhere. IDK if you play ele so you are bias in that way but now that I know some aspects of portal are going to be shared to other classes the last classes that should get it are ele’s. You have had sound reasoning else where but giving this type of mechanic to a class that already exceeds most others at burst/mobility/bunkering is ludicrous and is something that I hope no dev in their right mind would do.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer