The real issue of necro power creep

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Preface: I main necromancer.

The main issue of the abundance of corruption now is that it significantly reduces active counterplay. Yes, corruption is a direct counter to boon-bunkering, but the real issue is that for classes that have passive production, i.e. pretty much every class, you are creating liabilities for yourself without even trying.

Look at it this way:

A necromancer has 3 direct, active ways to apply weakness before:

Enfeebling blood, corrosive poison cloud, signet of spite. None of these have 100% weakness uptime.

It’s not that we didn’t have boon-corruption before, but at least they were direct and active abilities with somewhat high CD.

Now everyone with might, and relies on might will pretty much be perma-weakened without even trying. And look at all the classes that produce might almost involuntarily.
You’d almost not want to have it on you:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Might

in PvP

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

If this is a direct complaint at weakness uptime then:
FYI you can get 100% weakness up-time with a single trait, weakening shroud, on necro. This was before the changes and all.

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Yes, but that was ONE application of weakness that can be removed. If anyone is consistently applying might (and most classes do). Then you will be consistently corrupted to weakness, since it is so easy to do now.

The difference is; before; even if you didn’t remove the weakness from weakening shroud, you can keep your might.

Now, you lose your might, AND you get weakened if a necromancer so much as sneezes in your direction.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I like: Dark pact corruption and Enfeebling Blood corruptions.

Dislike: Auto attack corruption, and would prefer less on Signets.

I hope they keep it on the daggers. It’s active, and feels nice.

Signets (especially with plague signet) is too passive and annoying. The auto attack makes me cringe, even if it doesn’t happen too often realistically I don’t like it.

Corrupt boon, I’m pretty neutral about. It’s a better design I think, but he cooldown might be a bit short.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

And mind you, this is only with reference to weakness.

Say hello to pretty much free cripples, vulnerability, blind and poison.

in PvP

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Well before more often than not you would lose your might to signrts corrupting your boons anyways so its not a huge difference.

The real difference is now than for corruption necromancers don’t HAVE to go signets and it allows their builds to be a whole lot more diverse. Offhand dagger, mainland dagger and the curses line became fsr more attractive after this change since spite is no longer mandatory. And if you go spite you don’t have to take the signey trait because you don’t have to run signets just to stand a chance against all the boons rhatbare been able to spam in the game at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Well before more often than not you would lose your might to signrts corrupting your boons anyways so its not a huge difference.

The real difference is now than for corruption necromancers don’t HAVE to go signets and it allows their builds to be a whole lot more diverse. Offhand dagger, mainland dagger and the curses line became fsr more attractive after this change since spite is no longer mandatory. And if you go spite you don’t have to take the signey trait because you don’t have to run signets just to stand a chance against all the boons rhatbare been able to spam in the game at the moment.

You don’t understand how happy I am to play D/D finally on necro. I’ve always wanted it to work.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

But that IS the power creep. With signets you have to go spite, and now that you don’t thats a good change, yes. BUT. The nature of boon corruption on spite requires a specific build, an active counterplay, AND the loss of a signet passive. That’s a just reward for a commited build.

Some of the new boon corruptions are almost like a free resource, no real trade off whether you use it or not, and thats where the power creep is.