Thief Tips! [Everyone is welcome!]

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

I was used to the old thief meta:

-Squishy but able to trade with other zerks
-Support role to terminate/debuffs other targets, while going in/out from combat.

Atm the meta is both more tanky and dangerous, and u could die faster than before…
… so here’s the question:

how you ( thieves maybe ) deal with other classes now?
what do you consider your roles to be?
playing a nonthief class, what’s atm hard for you against them?

in PvP

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

Run as fast as possible…
Furthermore try to learn the new animation, what you should dodge, when to kite (reaper), try stuff, think about reroll or pray to god for changes in favor of thieves.

Attachments:

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

in PvP

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

You’d probably have quicker and better (lol who am I kidding?) results if you post this on the actual thief sub forum. But here’s a tiny bit of advice now that made me a better skirmisher, use utilities as tools, not trump cards. In other words, it’s very easy to save utilities for when you really need them. That’s understandable and relatable, but the situations aren’t always going to present themselves. Instead of waiting until your CC’d to use Shadowstep reactively, try using it proactively- while kitting with shortbow or pistols shadowstep to the far opposite side of your opponent to throw them off. Then time it takes for them to relocate you on screen you’d done a nice amount of damage and possibly even set yourself up to better avoid that incoming CC you were saving that shadowstep for originally.

I wouldn’t recommend bringing into pvp with all the cleave now, but instead of saving shadow refuge as a battle ender/retreat, try using it to help you get a strong opener and then keep up subsequent pressure. The list goes on.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Simple but very effective advice: reroll.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

First tip? If your pre-HoT build isn’t working, change it.

For instance, I’m enjoying a P/P daredevil. Super effective in 1v1s and can actually team fight because he doesn’t need to be in the middle of the action. If the enemy focuses you, a ton of mobility and stealth are at my disposal to give them the finger.

Second tip? Learn animations. The elites are literally a kaleidoscope of lights, so it’ll be a task if you’re a newbie.

Third tip? Re-roll if you can’t find anything effective. Thief, unlike the rest of the classes, promotes super fast reflexes and decision making (in relation to the game, pls no moba e-sports examples).

in PvP

Posted by: online.1278

online.1278

thief is generally just to decap. if you can watch minimap a lot and have good premade friends to play with, then you will be fine. that’s it. There is no tip neeeded for thiefs.

The Korean Gamer (Best Warrior NA)
My Stream : http://www.twitch.tv/eSportsKorea see me vs Tarcis, Chaith, Crysis and etc!

in PvP

Shirlias.8104

thief is generally just to decap. if you can watch minimap a lot and have good premade friends to play with, then you will be fine. that’s it. There is no tip neeeded for thiefs.

Agree.

Thief is most about premades and teamwork ( u need to be skilled, ofc, but playing in pug with wanderers is near to impossible ).

Before was hard too playing into a pug, but now is even harder.

edit: the fact is that, atm, playing for fun is not allowed. Im going to see tournaments to see how a pro team plays ( if they do ) a thief… but still, so frustrating.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

decap role died when every class and their mother got moblity with sustain and high dmg

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

speed, lots and lots of speed, I run daredevil with perma swiftness, sigil of energy. double pistol and staff. 2 stealth atleast. And one stunbreacker. Basically don’t get hit.

When in a skirmish at mid. Try to timer the moment you go melee. cause there is a lot of pbAOE at the moment. Investing into ranged damage is not a bad idea. granted your dps drops. but better to stay alive for more then 2 secs then go into the fray and get nuked.

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

P/P+staff is an OK build at best. Thief, more than any other class, suffers from bringing to main weapons (if you can center a serious build around it, its a main weapon) on one build because of initiative restraints.

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Reroll.

Anything but D/P decap pretty much has no chance against competent players, and that’s extremely difficult with the mobility granted to everyone else via their elite specs.

There’s too much AOE burst and mitigation/invuln right now to really play the class effectively in the current meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Um, I’ve been having some success with a soldier thief build taking advantage of Daredevil Runes. They pair well with either Staff or D/P (along with pulmonary impact).

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Maja.6372

Maja.6372

Just use Vault and you are fine

Screenshot is from marauder mesmer (21,5k Health) with no debuffs …
from 100% Health → direct downstate in under 1 second

GG Anet on completly being sadist and promoting oneshotting people

when will there ever be an ingame report option to report such completly overpowered stuff :-(

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

from 100% Health -> direct downstate in under 1 second

when will there ever be an ingame report option to report such completly overpowered stuff :-(

Let’s see you’re taking over 7k damage from a skill that normally only crits for 3-4k I think there’s a problem with your build having a lack of toughness. Add to the fact that bound is ridiculously easy to dodge, I’d call that l2p issue. Don’t run full zerker if you don’t have the twitch reflexes for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

i crit around 7k max with vault vs other glass people. not sure how you are getting hits for 13k. also why is there no evades in your combat log, is this a joke lol?

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in PvP

Shirlias.8104

Maybe WvW stats.

Damage seems too high…

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Maybe WvW stats.

Damage seems too high…

This.

in PvP

Fat Disgrace.4275

souldnt it say xx gold invader(example), that white markings are too short to be a wvw rank.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Issue is, even if he went zerk with DA/CS/DD with assassin’s signet, it still wouldn’t make sense for it to hit that high. Either WvWvW or he ran into a match naked.

in PvP

Posted by: Harvey.7820

Harvey.7820

Thief tips: Run!

(You’re good at that)

in PvP

Posted by: Maja.6372

Maja.6372

i crit around 7k max with vault vs other glass people. not sure how you are getting hits for 13k. also why is there no evades in your combat log, is this a joke lol?

unfortunately it was not possible to evade it cause of instant downstate
and no that was not in WvW it was in sPvP running middle after taking Tranquility
like I wrote I am running marauder amulet so no extra toughness sure
maybe the thief had might stacks but still the dmg is unreal no idea what anet is thinking

but to get back on topic
there still should be the old roles for thief
fast decapping of empty points
and turning the tide via dealing high burst dmg in group fights

(edited by Maja.6372)

in PvP

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

So Thief isn’t allowed to one shot…but you can on your Mesmer? Can you clarify the problem? I can count on one hand the amount of times a Thief/Daredevil has one shot me, and from Mesmer I need to take out a ledger with a tiny pin. You confuse me.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in PvP

Fat Disgrace.4275

dont think i have been hit that hard by a theif in pvp ever,nor have i reached anywhere close to it.

in PvP

Posted by: Raithwall.8201

Raithwall.8201

unfortunately it was not possible to evade it cause of instant downstate
and no that was not in WvW it was in sPvP running middle after taking Tranquility
like I wrote I am running marauder amulet so no extra toughness sure
maybe the thief had might stacks but still the dmg is unreal no idea what anet is thinking

but to get back on topic
there still should be the old roles for thief
fast decapping of empty points
and turning the tide via dealing high burst dmg in group fights

fighting with no armor equipped and/or running ful dmg stats and having vulnerability +some thief who got a lot of might stacked (revenant buddy maybe)
then dont dodge/just walk out of it/invuln not 1 but 2 very highlited and relatively slow skills (which will cost the thief every almost any initiative he has) is surely some issue with thief damages
xD

also i have never seen a thief dealing this much dmg to me or anyone in my team in over 1k games

(edited by Raithwall.8201)

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

www.twitch.tv/narcarsis

Caed has a pair of solid builds on his twitch and a bunch of gameplay. I saw him in a tournament recently and that staff is niceee. thief I’d unforgiving, but can be very strong if you play it well.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Cynz.9437

www.twitch.tv/narcarsis

Caed has a pair of solid builds on his twitch and a bunch of gameplay. I saw him in a tournament recently and that staff is niceee. thief I’d unforgiving, but can be very strong if you play it well.

watched that, saw thief camping downstate, turned off

All is Vain~

in PvP

Shirlias.8104

While waiting for some balance ( or at least to gather a full premade ), i was trying a d/d condition build.

It’s fun but lacks both skill and interrupts ( headshot its like a must to me ).
Also im using only 1 breakstun ( shadowstep, signet of agility and Caltrops. Poison as elite ).

Using rabid amulet ( maybe wanderer would be fine too ).
d/d ( tormenting + earth ) sb ( energy + doom )
Runes of the Krait ( thinking about Lyssa ).

As traits, DD, Trickery and Deadly Arts.

Suggestions ( i was thinking about Acrobatic over Deadly Arts )?