To Those Complaining About Match Making...

in PvP

Posted by: AegisFLCL.7623

AegisFLCL.7623

First off this is a serious post and I’m not trying to belittle anyone or tell them they’re trash. I’ve seen all the threads over the past two weeks and I think the issue is a little less prominent than you believe it to be, namely because it’s the same 30 or 40 people posting/creating new threads over and over.

The small portion of data that Salamander collected was actually pretty useful too. 50% of players reported being in the 50th percentile area of the ladder, which sounds accurate…

To get to the point though, for those players wanting to improve there are definitely some questions I want to stress that you ask yourself:

- Do you multi class?

If you do not, or cannot efficiently, grinding through leagues with one class is not going to work. Period!

As I’ve progressed through Ruby this season, I’ve noticed that almost every match is won due to swapping to counter a team comp. If we are not bringing the right tools to the job, why should we expect to win.

- Do you/can you rotate?

Again, if you cannot rotate, you will always lose to a premade because of coordination. Premades are 100% beatable, you must first bring the proper classes, traits, utilities, and rotate to be able to counter them.

I’ve played against multiple 5/4man premades as well as a few ESL teams and won due to the reasons above; heck they’ve been super stressful and or annoying due to some wicked strong team comps, but it is very possible. My win rate remains around 70% for this season (62% in ranked over all time).

- Do you peel?

Quite simple, teammates will often get pressured, rather than trying to focus someone take the time to peel for that player it can pay off big time when the enemy team no longer has a single offensive cd.

- Do you swap traits/runes/sigils?

Again this is very similar to the first question, but will often be a key reason as to why you will lose if you don’t. Normally most teams will have coordinated teams as of late, put their focus into heavy flat damage + cc, or heavy aoe/condis + cc. Most classes have a way to alleviate both types of pressure through trait, rune, and sigil combinations. If you refuse to take the time to make adjustments it’s going to hurt your play as well as your teammates.

- Do you rage at players and waste time/possible comebacks by typing half the match?

Simply don’t do it, it’d be wasting everyone’s time. Sure we don’t always get the best teammates but there is really no point that will come of berating other players.

- Do you complain about premades and then don’t put in the effort to queue with one or two more players?

Solo Q isn’t coming back, at the very least in this season. Please put some time and effort into befriending a good teammate or enemy you may see in a game. It really isn’t that hard and as everyone likes to mention, it automatically makes you win games (100% not true). Create a post looking for teammates, be proactive!

In the end, I believe a lot of these reasons are why so many players are stuck where they are. Yes there may be a small handful of players stuck due to unfortunate events, but just because you’re a skilled 1v1 player, it doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t support your team and make an attempt to actively do all of the things I’ve mentioned above.

(edited by AegisFLCL.7623)

in PvP

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

EXACTLY. alot of the people complaining fall into one or multiple of these categories.
They dont play to win
Whether its the “pro 1v1er who doesnt understand rotating” , the “im pro at playing warrior/ theif and can compete just fine with them”, or the “we lost mid fight, i give up, team sucks” players, theres always SOMETHING they are doing to cause their poor win rate that they refuse to acknowledge.
The matchmaking isnt perfect, but its definitely not as “rigged” as these mob mentality whiners want to believe

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

First off this is a serious post and I’m not trying to belittle anyone or tell them they’re trash. I’ve seen all the threads over the past two weeks and I think the issue is a little less prominent than you believe it to be, namely because it’s the same 30 or 40 people posting/creating new threads over and over.

The small portion of data that Salamander collected was actually pretty useful too. 50% of players reported being in the 50th percentile area of the ladder, which sounds accurate…

To get to the point though, for those players wanting to improve there are definitely some questions I want to stress that you ask yourself:

- Do you multi class?

If you do not, or cannot efficiently, grinding through leagues with one class is not going to work. Period!

As I’ve progressed through Ruby this season, I’ve noticed that almost every match is won due to swapping to counter a team comp. If we are not bringing the right tools to the job, why should we expect to win.

- Do you/can you rotate?

Again, if you cannot rotate, you will always lose to a premade because of coordination. Premades are 100% beatable, you must first bring the proper classes, traits, utilities, and rotate to be able to counter them.

I’ve played against multiple 5/4man premades as well as a few ESL teams and won due to the reasons above; heck they’ve been super stressful and or annoying due to some wicked strong team comps, but it is very possible. My win rate remains around 70% for this season (62% in ranked over all time).

- Do you peel?

Quite simple, teammates will often get pressured, rather than trying to focus someone take the time to peel for that player it can pay off big time when the enemy team no longer has a single offensive cd.

- Do you swap traits/runes/sigils?

Again this is very similar to the first question, but will often be a key reason as to why you will lose if you don’t. Normally most teams will have coordinated teams as of late put their focus into heavy flat damage + cc, or heavy aoe/condis + cc. Most classes have a way to alleviate both types of pressure through trait, rune, and sigil combinations. If you refuse to take the time to make adjustments it’s going to hurt your play as well as your teammates.

- Do you rage at players and waste time/possible comebacks by typing half the match?

Simply don’t do it, it’d be wasting everyone’s time. Sure we don’t always get the best teammates but there is really no point that will come of berating other players.

- Do you complain about premades and then don’t put in the effort to queue with one or two more players?

Solo Q isn’t coming back, at the very least in this season. Please put some time and effort into befriending a good teammate or enemy you may see in a game. It really isn’t that hard and as everyone likes to mention, it automatically makes you win games (100% no true). Create a post looking for teammates, be proactive!

In the end, I believe a lot of these reasons are why so many players are stuck where they are. Yes there may be a small handful of players stuck due to unfortunate events, but just because you’re a skilled 1v1 player, it doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t support your team and make an attempt to actively do all of the things I’ve mentioned above.

Ok, where do I start…

You first try to minimize the problem with the number of people complaining and then proceed to talk about that small sample of players who participate to something not even far from scientific to conclude it was helpful as in significant?

But let’s have some fun, I do use all professions and adapt if need be. I can play very well 2 of them and decently 3-4 more.

I totally know how and when to rotate since a long time now ty very much for asking.

Peeling and focusing is great and all but if you are alone to try and do it it’s going to be hard…

Did it happened that I have raged? Yes. But I honestly dare anybody to avoid boiling after some of the horror I’ve been witnessing. We are humans and we have limits. Of course when you surf on a beautiful beach where all is sunny more than not raging won’t come as often… Try being stuck for 10+ matches with ppl who are clearly not of your level… I want to film you.

Now for the real issue, SOLOQ. I fully understand that this is intended as a team mode and as such you are incredibly disadvantaged if you are not in a premade. Sadly, not everyone has the same opportunities due to a plethora of factors. Why do you think I still inflict myself with soloq? It’s that or I don’t play 99% of the time is why because I just happen to play when others are not available including the friends I’ve made and added me because they thought I was an asset to them capable of carrying more than my weight.

The only real problem in this system IS soloq. For it to work like it want to it, sadly, should force ppl to present a team of 5 just as raid force you to be 10. Why? Because the soloq system really is a Russian roulette system and ppl who have thousands of hours and are clearly quite good can end-up with a lower rating than someone brand new to the game. In other words, you will be fed new players all the time and not surprisingly loose more… How can anyone think a new player can be of a higher MMR than someone with thousands of matches is just beyond the power of words to describe.

My concern now is, will this carry on to the next season to? If so I might permanently stop playing ranked in soloq as my rating might now be too damaged. This mean you are marked for life pvp-wise.

If ppl want to do a tournament they should make it like it’s supposed to be with team signing in for the comp with winners advancing until a winner is determined and give the guys a prize. Somehow this system is a pseudo comp that isn’t one. Measuring teams and allocating individual rating to players even when the team was never the same. This is profoundly kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

Of course it’s rigged. They said we are going to give one team a higher mmr .

If we had an ant race and I took 5 ants that won their last 10 races and gave you 5 that lost their last ten races – what would you call that?

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

EXACTLY. alot of the people complaining fall into one or multiple of these categories.
They dont play to win
Whether its the “pro 1v1er who doesnt understand rotating” , the “im pro at playing warrior/ theif and can compete just fine with them”, or the “we lost mid fight, i give up, team sucks” players, theres always SOMETHING they are doing to cause their poor win rate that they refuse to acknowledge.
The matchmaking isnt perfect, but its definitely not as “rigged” as these mob mentality whiners want to believe

So you know how everyone is playing? Are you god? There is not always something they are doing to cause a loss. There are 4 other people on the team. One person can not win the game alone. If someone was bad, they could not coat the game if the other 4 where that good. It comes down to how well the classes mix and how well the people playing them know said class. I’ve been on teams where the whole team seems to be of one mind and just know where to go and where to be. Other times even if there is a conversation about what we are going to do as a team, you can’t guarantee that everyone has listened and is not going to do just what they want.

All of what the OP has said is being filed under kitten I all ready know.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

is not just the matchmaking is bad
the pipping is bad

there have been cases where my team filled with lower division beating a team filled with higher div, yet we only get 1 pip. does that make sense? it doesnt.

this season seems to only giving u 2 pips for straight wins (even out of pure luck). yes, resulting in cases where you hav a lower div beating the crap of higher div. why are they in higher div in the first place, lets not talk about why they are there. why theres only 1 pip?

edit: heck, what with this comeback 2 pip nonsense anyway? all of these nonsensical pipping combined with bias matchmaking system result in all the frustration

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

They dont play to win

So you know how everyone is playing? Are you god? There is not always something they are doing to cause a loss. There are 4 other people on the team. One person can not win the game alone. If someone was bad, they could not coat the game if the other 4 where that good. It comes down to how well the classes mix and how well the people playing them know said class. I’ve been on teams where the whole team seems to be of one mind and just know where to go and where to be. Other times even if there is a conversation about what we are going to do as a team, you can’t guarantee that everyone has listened and is not going to do just what they want.

All of what the OP has said is being filed under kitten I all ready know.

I’ve had a few like him in my teams… very annoying. It’s always about the individual. It HAS to be. Never mind the math saying you are but 20% of the equation…

in PvP

Posted by: Dirtyrascal.1023

Dirtyrascal.1023

Sirbeaumerdier focuses on the Solo Queue problem… and it is a serious issue with the system.

Yes some people have had a good experience solo queuing but it seems to be the minority.

GW2 player base is NOT big enough to have a fair league where you can only play as a 5 man Premade.

Season 2 is pretty much using Solo Queue players as fodder… punishing their MMR and putting them into a losing hole.

Keep doing this and people won’t solo queue.

At that point you’re league is dead.

You can argue that it’s a L2P issue. You can ignore how fundamentally flawed and unfair the system is. Ignore the potential damage to the game this is doing and you’re actually shooting yourself in the foot.

in PvP

Posted by: Crimson Shi.5047

Crimson Shi.5047

Not sure to the posters in here but I solo qued to Ruby working my way to Diamond. I have a second account making their way to Ruby. So imo the MMR is working as intended.

in PvP

Dirtyrascal.1023

Not sure to the posters in here but I solo qued to Ruby working my way to Diamond. I have a second account making their way to Ruby. So imo the MMR is working as intended.

Cool, happy days… if you read the Threads on the issues you’ll understand why you’ve had the experience you have had and why they’ve had the experience they have had.

Dichotomy.

in PvP

Posted by: Ovi Caloni.1853

Ovi Caloni.1853

AegisFLCL.7623 sponsored by anet?

i made to legend division last season with almot only solo q.
But this season I had the great Idea of gettin da fookin class achievements in division III and of cause this ruined my mmr and now I have no chance. Anet hates people doin solo q so I quit this stupid league

(edited by Ovi Caloni.1853)

in PvP

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Working as intended when theres sapphire boys in tier 5, 3vs1 at close when we have 2 nodes being outmanned on other node for 2 minutes. Worse than ambers…Even amber players played better.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Oh, great. Another I’m fine so everything has to work just fine! Cigarette doesn’t give cancer since I smoked all my life and I never got cancer!

I think ppl acknowledged this system could prove no problem and even beneficial for a portion of the population already. My question to you now is, how is your case representative of all others?

in PvP

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

AegisFLCL.7623 sponsored by anet?

i made to legend division last season with almot only solo q.
But this season I had the great Idea of gettin da fookin class achievements in division III and of cause this ruined my mmr and now I have no chance. Anet hates people doin solo q so I quit this stupid league

Yea i start to feel Anet hates soloq players as well. The quality of brains is too low in sapphire. I do get win streaks, but when im on a win streak and anet puts me with premades who has zero clue about pvp, that cant rotate, who play like amber, who die in 1 second, who cant follow targets, who gets blinded by middle, lets close get decapped, doesnt disengage but die on point everytime like a true hero…make me lose a match and my winstreak gets destroyed. Later when you watch the premade window, its normally fekkin premades which is a mix of amber, emerald and sapphire vs sapphires and rubys. ARE YOU SERIOUS ANET.

in PvP

Crimson Shi.5047

Oh, great. Another I’m fine so everything has to work just fine! Cigarette doesn’t give cancer since I smoked all my life and I never got cancer!

I think ppl acknowledged this system could prove no problem and even beneficial for a portion of the population already. My question to you now is, how is your case representative of all others?

I don’t…. I don’t smoke

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

First off this is a serious post!

I actually agree to most of what you have said. But, I also believe the system is flawed. You can use this kind of system in a qualifying season to create a bracket of players and to weed out the bad by giving them chance to improve by playing unranked during a league season with some benefits to progress towards their achievements in their own pace.

In an ideal world, a world where theory-crafting is the law, it’s a great system on paper. My achievements are my own. If I am bothered with who else is also achieving other than me, I need to set my priorities straight. This system has alienated a LOT of people from sPvP. There are a lot of people that I personally know who will not even try playing this game mode again. To some, that’s good news. To ANET, is that really good news?

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I actually agree to most of what you have said. But, I also believe the system is flawed. You can use this kind of system in a qualifying season to create a bracket of players and to weed out the bad by giving them chance to improve by playing unranked during a league season with some benefits to progress towards their achievements in their own pace.

In an ideal world, a world where theory-crafting is the law, it’s a great system on paper. My achievements are my own. If I am bothered with who else is also achieving other than me, I need to set my priorities straight. This system has alienated a LOT of people from sPvP. There are a lot of people that I personally know who will not even try playing this game mode again. To some, that’s good news. To ANET, is that really good news?

How is your achievements ever your own in a team setting? They are never going to be yours only. Each members of your team own more to the team than the team own to them.

in PvP

Posted by: Quozex.9430

Quozex.9430

I agree with Crimson kittenhat it feels like the MM system is working as intended. The leagues are not perfect as they desperately need a placement system to move players into their proper division faster. Yet I also find that almost everyone complaining about the MM system immediately writes themselves off as above average or godly players who can make no mistake and that all their other teammates are the problem and MM is to blame. As OP states there are the vocal minority who might have some “bad luck” with the MM system. Even then most of the half decent players are at least in saph/ruby by now and it shouldn’t be that much of a struggle to get a few wins out.

Then again the intention of this post was to not turn into another kitten about the MM system. It was a productive post to help some people maybe spot what other teammates are doing and possibly giving them tips as to how to improve, or how themselves can improve.

Honestly no matter how perfect you think you may play, there is always room for improvement. This post is helpful, maybe not to all the MM kitteners, but to anyone else just getting into pvp who want to improve.

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

How is your achievements ever your own in a team setting? They are never going to be yours only. Each members of your team own more to the team than the team own to them.

Oh I must clarify. I did not mean league achievements or AP that you get. I meant achievement as in going to legendary division, diamond etc.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

AegisFLCL.7623

I somewhat agree with the bolded statement. This system is remarkably better than the one that existed for S1 however, we need a preseason placement ladder which will award and spread the players out at the beginning of the season for more consistently competitive matches.

To most of the other people posting here, the majority of you all are still complaining, not being constructive, and likely refusing to try some of the things mentioned.

Concerning solo/duo vs premades so far, my experience throughout ruby is that I have a higher w/l ratio against the premade teams because most of them are subpar players carried by voice com and comps. Most premade matches are actually far more interesting and competitive than solo/duo q match-ups. I will say that bonus pip compensation for wins/losses against full 5 man premades may or may not deserve some looking at by devs.

This is a TEAM game, no matter how much you believe or are the better player, it unfortunately won’t always make the difference, we need to accept that.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I agree with Crimson kittenhat it feels like the MM system is working as intended. The leagues are not perfect as they desperately need a placement system to move players into their proper division faster. Yet I also find that almost everyone complaining about the MM system immediately writes themselves off as above average or godly players who can make no mistake and that all their other teammates are the problem and MM is to blame. As OP states there are the vocal minority who might have some “bad luck” with the MM system. Even then most of the half decent players are at least in saph/ruby by now and it shouldn’t be that much of a struggle to get a few wins out.

If you have been paying any attention the problem is not that the system work too slowly. It’s that it can trap you below where you actually belong or make you surf past where you belong. It base itself on an individual rating that actually is the result of multiple team where your contribution was around 20% of the victory or defeat.

The premise that some of you defend that make it impossible for people to loose DESPITE themselves being a great asset is utter crap. I’m not asking for you to believe me that I’m better than the player I had the last 15 matches in my team it is an obvious fact even my opponents have pmed me about in some instance.

My friends know what I’m worth in pvp. There is no overrating of myself when I say that. I don’t say i’m god. I say I’m far better than what you condemn me to play with and not surprisingly I continue to loose DESPITE doing a great job (possibly a better job than you would if you were stuck in my shoes).

In other words, YOU, ANY of YOU including ESL players (and I’m rdy to bet a week of my salary on it) would more than likely also fail despite all your great skill because you are just 1 person.

I’m also troubled by that call to minority some of you make to try and minimize the problem when in fact you have no more basis than any others as to who is the minority. So can we please stop with this double standard? The point is there is an issue some have pointed out. The numbers are irrelevant one way or another. What matter is the legitimacy of the problem put before you.

Then again the intention of this post was to not turn into another kitten about the MM system. It was a productive post to help some people maybe spot what other teammates are doing and possibly giving them tips as to how to improve, or how themselves can improve.

Honestly no matter how perfect you think you may play, there is always room for improvement. This post is helpful, maybe not to all the MM kitteners, but to anyone else just getting into pvp who want to improve.

What is insulting to me about this thread is it is assuming we don’t already know all of this possibly better than you. The problem people address here is not the one you insist on.

Stop making straw men and say people pretend to be better than they are otherwise they wouldn’t be stuck where they are bla-bla. We got your POV on this the first bazillion times and your arguments are just not cutting it at all. They are in fact just oil on the fire because not good and seemingly ignore the fact provided by those you seek to oppose.

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

The title could use some work then.

in PvP

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

You forget in your reasoning one important point (which is crucial): The system decides who is good and who is bad.

I will explain the impact on two examples:
1) A person wrote here in the forum a couple of days back roughly the following:
“I used to have a win/loss ratio of 70%. In the last league, I made it until division 5. As things are, opponents become more and more skilled as higher you get. Hence, my win/loss ratio dropped. Now I get paired with bad players and my win/loss ratio (and thus the mmr) went down.”

2) Let us imagine the same player was busy until one week before the last league ended. He then started playing and (likely) made it to division 3 quickly with a win/loss ratio of above 70%. The same player now gets carried by the system upwards.

A fait evaluation can only be made if the player reaches the same position in both cases. Obviously, he does not.

A small comment to the initial post of this thread:
I did most of the things as described in the post. I can play a couple of classes, I adjusted the build several times, I am rather quiet than raging about my fellow team-members and I am pulling 2-3 enemies for a fight for about 1 min. It doesnt help if the remaining 4 players cannot beat 3 of the enemy team. My problem is the same as in example 1. I used to be in a high division last season. I would consider myself as an average player. My current rank does not reflect my abilities!

in PvP

Crimson Shi.5047

@Sirbeaumerdier.3740 I have suffered losses, if you seen my posts I even ranted about it. There were even some matches were I would say to myself … “ah… why did I do that, that was my fault” Yes you are just 1 cog in the machine of 5 cogs in total. Yes I can understand it’s hard to carry. Definitely been in matches were I just looked to the sky, and begged Dwayna save me. But all in all I just I don’t know, I don’t see it. I mean I know the experience is different from person to person. But in my experience I had to help recover a mistake my allies made. In return I had allies who help to recover my mistakes, and in the end we pulled it off. You will get matches like that. It just the breaks of the game.

By the same token it just doesn’t sit well either to go around saying “I am amazing” or “I can 1v1 any of you” or “I know I am better then the people around me that I don’t belong here” Maybe you are, and maybe you don’t but sometimes you gotta just go that extra step. Take a break and try again, que later maybe so you won’t get the same team? Try again tomorrow, it will still be here to frustrate you. :p Make friends, and form a team. Switch classes when necessary…blah blah I am sure you all know this.

Point being if you really want it, all you can do is keep trying, it will probably suck, it will infuriate you to your soul, you will scream colorful metaphors at your screen. But in the end it just depends on how bad you want it. Or ….. quit.

in PvP

AegisFLCL.7623

snip

I would consider myself as an average player. My current rank does not reflect my abilities!

What is your current rank/tier? If you’re sapphire t3-4, and you state you are an average player, you’re right in the middle of the ladder.

I’m not directing this at you, but so many players are expecting handouts based on how they placed in the previous season; THAT IS AN AWFUL representation of your skill. Players we’re randomly awarded, even 3 pips for losses? How is that even the slightest means of accurate progression. Ranking from the previous season means squat, especially when 50% of the “primordial legend” titled players I see cannot play to save their lives.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

@Sirbeaumerdier.3740 I have suffered losses, if you seen my posts I even ranted about it. There were even some matches were I would say to myself … “ah… why did I do that, that was my fault” Yes you are just 1 cog in the machine of 5 cogs in total. Yes I can understand it’s hard to carry. Definitely been in matches were I just looked to the sky, and begged Dwayna save me. But all in all I just I don’t know, I don’t see it. I mean I know the experience is different from person to person. But in my experience I had to help recover a mistake my allies made. In return I had allies who help to recover my mistakes, and in the end we pulled it off. You will get matches like that. It just the breaks of the game.

By the same token it just doesn’t sit well either to go around saying “I am amazing” or “I can 1v1 any of you” or “I know I am better then the people around me that I don’t belong here” Maybe you are, and maybe you don’t but sometimes you gotta just go that extra step. Take a break and try again, que later maybe so you won’t get the same team? Try again tomorrow, it will still be here to frustrate you. :p Make friends, and form a team. Switch classes when necessary…blah blah I am sure you all know this.

Point being if you really want it, all you can do is keep trying, it will probably suck, it will infuriate you to your soul, you will scream colorful metaphors at your screen. But in the end it just depends on how bad you want it. Or ….. quit.

Might be the time of the day I play and the risky builds I tried before I learned how the system worked or something but there is no end to this in my case now (well, I broke my streak and even got another winning streak but the baddies are back… and even when you babysit them you can’t overcome someone who just don’t read or care).

I can continue to try like I do but my fear is that I’m now marked for life and any SOLOQ with this algorithm will continue to think my place is among these guys the next season and the next etc. So the more it goes the less likely I’m going to get out of this.

I already have what is hard to get for the back piece so it is not what make me sad. I love to play pvp and knowing you are likely kittened before you even start is not very comforting i my problem… Doubly so when you are rated individually based on a random collections of teams. GG if that collection was good for some, but for the rest it can sux…

in PvP

Dirtyrascal.1023

Might be the time of the day I play and the risky builds I tried before I learned how the system worked or something but there is no end to this in my case now (well, I broke my streak and even got another winning streak but the baddies are back… and even when you babysit them you can’t overcome someone who just don’t read or care).

I can continue to try like I do but my fear is that I’m now marked for life and any SOLOQ with this algorithm will continue to think my place is among these guys the next season and the next etc. So the more it goes the less likely I’m going to get out of this.

I already have what is hard to get for the back piece so it is not what make me sad. I love to play pvp and knowing you are likely kittened before you even start is not very comforting i my problem… Doubly so when you are rated individually based on a random collections of teams. GG if that collection was good for some, but for the rest it can sux…

Yeah – short of a hard reset of MMR for Season 3, I’m never really going to believe that those Rank Gems mean much.

Other games reset MMR at the beginning of the season… why carry one season’s injustices into the next?

in PvP

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

snip

I would consider myself as an average player. My current rank does not reflect my abilities!

What is your current rank/tier? If you’re sapphire t3-4, and you state you are an average player, you’re right in the middle of the ladder.

I’m not directing this at you, but so many players are expecting handouts based on how they placed in the previous season; THAT IS AN AWFUL representation of your skill. Players we’re randomly awarded, even 3 pips for losses? How is that even the slightest means of accurate progression. Ranking from the previous season means squat, especially when 50% of the “primordial legend” titled players I see cannot play to save their lives.

This system proved nothing to anyone. MMR ,win percentages it all proves nothing. This system punishes anyone that was in the bottom 80% of MMR last season by raising all the lower MMR players in that pool to match that of the top MMR players in that pool. You cant get an honest representation of a players skills if you handicap them and make them play against better groups of players within a natural MMR pool. If the problem of last season was players with no skill grinding up to legend offended players with skill in legend then why would you not want a complete MMR reset or qualifiers before the season began. Till that happens this is just nonsense to think this tourney proves anything to anyone.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

(edited by cosmicegg.8502)

in PvP

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

Yeah – short of a hard reset of MMR for Season 3, I’m never really going to believe that those Rank Gems mean much.

Other games reset MMR at the beginning of the season… why carry one season’s injustices into the next?

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: antichecker.1675

antichecker.1675

snip

You must be blind to the actuall problem or maybe you just ignore it on purpose, because you enjoy to get free wins at the start of the season. Nobody here ever complained that he didn’t reach high tiers, most ppl complained that they lose every game in 100 matches. And myself included. I started out 0 – 20 so I stoped soloq. Played in a team and all of a sudden I win most games and going towars saphire. How is it possible if I am that bad? The problem is that the matchmaking system is plain kittened, not matching teams of equal strengths. Why even have an mmr if you dont use it. MMR was never designed just to match a team of same strength. It has it’s origins in chess to rank players AGAINST each other and depending on the difference how much each one can win or lose. Now I know that team games are a more complex issue than 1 vs 1 games. I even go that far to acuse GW2 to match stronger teams against weaker ones on purpose, so the better ones can advance faster, in thinking that the weak ones will even it out when the strong ones are out of reach. This will just not work out and will only lead to people stop playing.
And this is the reason why the current system is broken and really bad compared to any other game with a ranked team competitive part.

in PvP

AegisFLCL.7623

snip

You must be blind to the actuall problem or maybe you just ignore it on purpose, because you enjoy to get free wins at the start of the season. Nobody here ever complained that he didn’t reach high tiers, most ppl complained that they lose every game in 100 matches. And myself included. I started out 0 – 20 so I stoped soloq. Played in a team and all of a sudden I win most games and going towars saphire. How is it possible if I am that bad? The problem is that the matchmaking system is plain kittened, not matching teams of equal strengths. Why even have an mmr if you dont use it. MMR was never designed just to match a team of same strength. It has it’s origins in chess to rank players AGAINST each other and depending on the difference how much each one can win or lose. Now I know that team games are a more complex issue than 1 vs 1 games. I even go that far to acuse GW2 to match stronger teams against weaker ones on purpose, so the better ones can advance faster, in thinking that the weak ones will even it out when the strong ones are out of reach. This will just not work out and will only lead to people stop playing.
And this is the reason why the current system is broken and really bad compared to any other game with a ranked team competitive part.

People like you refuse to see how the system this season is supposed to work; we do need some form of preseason though.

The Season lasts approximately 2 months, and we are currently in the 2nd week which is barely a third of the way through. A team with higher MMR will get matched against a team with lower MMR NO MATTER WHAT. Eventually the team with higher MMR will move clear of the other team/players pip range and will no longer be matched against one another. The longer the season goes on the more spread out players will be, and lower tier/rank players will eventually progress to their approximate skill level.

I’ve had two blow-out matches throughout my 20 or so ruby games. As I’ve progressed, every game has gotten harder/closer even if it’s solo vs premade, games remain close. Game’s I lose or that other’s lose are almost always due to the reason’s in my original post. While the majority blame the system, few try to change how they play and or make constructive feedback.

This is a competitive ladder, do not expect handouts. And I apologize if player’s are only here for the backpack, but that has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the players.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

snip

People like you refuse to see how the system this season is supposed to work; we do need some form of preseason though.

The Season lasts approximately 2 months, and we are currently in the 2nd week which is barely a third of the way through. A team with higher MMR will get matched against a team with lower MMR NO MATTER WHAT. Eventually the team with higher MMR will move clear of the other team/players pip range and will no longer be matched against one another. The longer the season goes on the more spread out players will be, and lower tier/rank players will eventually progress to their approximate skill level.

I’ve had two blow-out matches throughout my 20 or so ruby games. As I’ve progressed, every game has gotten harder/closer even if it’s solo vs premade, games remain close. Game’s I lose or that other’s lose are almost always due to the reason’s in my original post. While the majority blame the system, few try to change how they play and or make constructive feedback.

This is a competitive ladder, do not expect handouts. And I apologize if player’s are only here for the backpack, but that has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the players.

Have you read what I’ve said? I ask because your reply here is as if I’ve said nothing.

in PvP

AegisFLCL.7623

Have you read what I’ve said? I ask because your reply here is as if I’ve said nothing.

What I’ve said directly correlates and explains why players may be experiencing such bad loss streaks.

in PvP

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

snip

Since you ask: My win/loss ratio is roughly 50% (1500/750). I am currently losing more than winning. Hence, I am in Emerald. I just had a match where I won every 1 vs. 1 but lost the entire match with 500 to 150.

in PvP

Crimson Shi.5047

Probably because its a team match? :o

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

What I’ve said directly correlates and explains why players may be experiencing such bad loss streaks.

Yes, but what about those who tell you this isn’t what they experiment?

The problem for these other people isn’t that they will be facing teams with higher MMR. They complain about who they are paired with, not who they face.

Loosing to a stronger team when all did what they could and had to is not a problem. Assuming your own mistake is part of the game too. But when you genuinely didn’t make any mistakes other than press compete solo you rightfully feel powerless.

I’m close to give some ppl my account password so they can taste the rainbow themselves and wake-up. I’d be curious to see what they post after a few dozen matches and if they still believe the problem is still in the head of the ppl complaining.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I agree with OP. The best thing for me personally was random arenas/team arenas in gw1. Having your key binds so you can keep your eyes on screen at all times and know what your doing without having to look allows to look at what your team is doing and take advantage of it. When I am pitted against someone of good/experienced skill the difference between why I don’t get downed and they do is that I moved to be in water fields, blasted lightning fields, used leaps through smoke fields..they just doggedly chased me. They fixated too much on me, and not enough on what was happening around them. I am a lot harder to kill when I am standing in a smoke and water field at the same time. Either target another or pull me out, otherwise your putting skills on cool down and only getting minimum results from it.

in PvP

Kayberz.5346

Another note
To the players saying “my current league position doesnt reflect where i should be” ok….no duh. We are only like a 3rd of the way through the season. If you hit a brick wall, STOP PLAYING. Why are you people trying to rush so fast?
If you really believe in this “bad mmr spiral” then why are you DELIBERATELY throwing yourselves into it when your on a losing streak? Every time i start getting bad matches over and over i STOP. No point queueing into the same bad matchups, and theres no point rushing directly to your final standing in the league only to have hour long queues when all your trying to do is your daily matches.
Ill say it again, all i see is entitlement and a want for instant gratification

in PvP

AegisFLCL.7623

Another note
To the players saying “my current league position doesnt reflect where i should be” ok….no duh. We are only like a 3rd of the way through the season. If you hit a brick wall, STOP PLAYING. Why are you people trying to rush so fast?
If you really believe in this “bad mmr spiral” then why are you DELIBERATELY throwing yourselves into it when your on a losing streak? Every time i start getting bad matches over and over i STOP. No point queueing into the same bad matchups, and theres no point rushing directly to your final standing in the league only to have hour long queues when all your trying to do is your daily matches.

+1

Probably another thing that should’ve been mentioned, stop queuing past the 4th loss. Bad matchups, you’re frustrated and not playing well, not focused, lots of stuff goes into it. I always take a break if I get a few bad matches in a row.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Great, more useless advises since many already know them. You gotta love when people continue to pretend the problem is something else than what they are told. But continue to just ignore what others said. All is well, nothing to see here.

in PvP

antichecker.1675

Another note

+1

Probably another thing that should’ve been mentioned, stop queuing past the 4th loss. Bad matchups, you’re frustrated and not playing well, not focused, lots of stuff goes into it. I always take a break if I get a few bad matches in a row.

This bull*. So the response to the broken matchmaking is, stop playing and try again later? Let’s not fix things, just avoid problems or abuse them.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Another note

+1

This bull*. So the response to the broken matchmaking is, stop playing and try again later? Let’s not fix things, just avoid problems or abuse them.

To be fair to him, he is merely suggesting to get a cooler head before trying again. A nice advice for the people who didn’t already do that… or any of what was already said and doesn’t address a iota of the real problem.

in PvP

antichecker.1675

It might be a good suggestion for players who are on a loss streak, yet he sticks to the idea that the system is a good one.

in PvP

Kayberz.5346

It might be a good suggestion for players who are on a loss streak, yet he sticks to the idea that the system is a good one.

I dont claim that the system is necessarily a “good” one, but its no where near as broken as some people here are claiming it to be, and its WAY better than season 1s matchmaking.
I still think we should have a separate solo queue. But at least this system is way more manageable to solo queue in than last season was as long your smart about it and dont grind your face against a brick wall out of stubbornness

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I agree about that. This refusal to see any problem is really annoying.

in PvP

antichecker.1675

I dont claim that the system is necessarily a “good” one, but its no where near as broken as some people here are claiming it to be, and its WAY better than season 1s matchmaking.
I still think we should have a separate solo queue. But at least this system is way more manageable to solo queue in than last season was as long your smart about it and dont grind your face against a brick wall out of stubbornness

The matchmaking system is WAY worse than season 1. The problem with season 1 was that noobs actually could have make their way up and it was exploitable. Now the new matching is no way better. There still are noobs carried to saphire. There are decent players stuck in soloq hell. But regardless of that, the system fails by matching strong teams vs weak teams. And I refuse to waste my time in an from beginning decided game, just so the pros can advance faster. As I allready stated some time ago: Have you seen Manchester U play an official ranked match vs an amature team from some village at the start of a new season?

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

They have stated on the current AMA that they are aware of the dissatisfaction with the matchmaking and are looking at it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Kayberz.5346

The matchmaking system is WAY worse than season 1. The problem with season 1 was that noobs actually could have make their way up and it was exploitable. Now the new matching is no way better. There still are noobs carried to saphire. There are decent players stuck in soloq hell. But regardless of that, the system fails by matching strong teams vs weak teams. And I refuse to waste my time in an from beginning decided game, just so the pros can advance faster. As I allready stated some time ago: Have you seen Manchester U play an official ranked match vs an amature team from some village at the start of a new season?

Last season was exploitable, this season isnt
This season has greatly reduced the amount of premades vs full solo queuers
I stand by my statement, this season is FAR superior to season 1

in PvP

antichecker.1675

Last season was exploitable, this season isnt
This season has greatly reduced the amount of premades vs full solo queuers
I stand by my statement, this season is FAR superior to season 1

This season is exploitable, if you start now and pay 3 – 5 g per win to a 4player high mmr team, u are in ruby in less than 4 hours. That was not possible in s1.
Season 1 had almost only premade vs premade. Now there is at least 1 premade in every match. I stand by my Statement that u are wrong

in PvP

Posted by: Wildfang.3271

Wildfang.3271

I agree about that. This refusal to see any problem is really annoying.

I dunno. I kinda find both sides are acting the same way personally. Like trying to discredit anyone who has a more positive experience with S2’s MMR system and saying that it must be all them getting carried up the ranks and vice versa about the skills of ppl who got stuck in losing streaks.

And I think S1’s MMR system was horrid back then, at least before they fixed it mid season to counter the amber shopping premades that ran rampant where they vastly reduce their pip losses if they lose while increasing their pip gains if they win. That coupled with the system trying to enforce 50% win/loss rate made solo qing a lot more horrendous. And I will totally disagree that S1 isn’t exploitable. As a soloqer back then, I ran into quite a lot of premades that did the amber shopping thing while I ran into a lot more soloqers in S2. I stand by my statement which is based on my own personal experience that you are wrong as well, antichecker.

So far for season 2, I have more fun solo qing and while the first few matches has been blowouts either in my favor or against my favor, I start having a lot more close matches with some being comebacks in my current division. Still, I think improvements can be made to the MMR system. I would agree with whoever that suggest having a preseason to place people in different divisions so that the first day onslaught wouldn’t be too bad and new players wouldn’t get totally slaughtered by experienced people which would just lead to discouragement. There is a question though : what to do if people don’t play during preseasons to get their placements in divisions?

(edited by Wildfang.3271)