Turret Engi Patch - How are we faring?

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

The reason turret engineers die when you kill the turrets is because they’ve sacrificed every single utility to run turrets. No stealth, no escapes, nothing but the turrets.

Also you just described every defensive build, which is what turret engineers were.

Which is why I say again, turret engis were never good to begin with!! And they weren’t just defensive build, they were full on offense as well especially against any zerkers.

of course they hit zerker hard. everyone hits zerkers hard. the name ‘glass cannon’ doesn’t mean nothing ya’ know. turret engi is a tanky build, it just happens that zerk builds are so squishy that even tank builds do a lot of damage to them.

as someone who didn’t play zerk (cele bombs) turrets don’t hit that hard at all. never found them that hard to deal with either.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Ashern.5328

Ashern.5328

The reason turret engineers die when you kill the turrets is because they’ve sacrificed every single utility to run turrets. No stealth, no escapes, nothing but the turrets.

Also you just described every defensive build, which is what turret engineers were.

Which is why I say again, turret engis were never good to begin with!! And they weren’t just defensive build, they were full on offense as well especially against any zerkers.

of course they hit zerker hard. everyone hits zerkers hard. the name ‘glass cannon’ doesn’t mean nothing ya’ know. turret engi is a tanky build, it just happens that zerk builds are so squishy that even tank builds do a lot of damage to them.

as someone who didn’t play zerk (cele bombs) turrets don’t hit that hard at all. never found them that hard to deal with either.

It isn’t the fact that zerkers get hit hard, it’s that “Bunkers” Aren’t supposed to kill zerkers quickly at all, sure maybe through conditions but pure damage alone would take them a bit.

Turret engis? It didn’t matter, they had crazy defense and even a crazier offense that didn’t make sense. The scale was way off. Even zerkers weren’t the only ones getting hit hard, that’s my point. Further to my point, since zerkers were the only ones able to kill their turrets in a timely matter, it made it even worse that if a zerker tried to actually get into melee range of the engi (who camps behind thumper), they would eventually get killed as it takes a while for anyone to kill an engi running around with 28k hp in a Sentinel amulet spamming CC.

Of course some builds weren’t affected by turrets, I’m not saying turret engis were invincible, but the fact that if you specced to kill them specifically, you would most likely not be that beneficial in other areas of the match.

Turrets would have been just fine if they scaled with their owner’s stats. But the problem was that they had their own, meaning that the Engi could run with max tough/vit gear and still do more damage than most.

(edited by Ashern.5328)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Honestly, I prefer A LOT a pvp meta without IA elements.

This fix has really improved the fun experience for me in rated matches.

NeXT time i hope we don’t need to wait 6 months.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Took them 6 months to balance the engies and they’ve overdone it by so far they made turrets completely useless.

This should be fixed immediately, not in 6 months or a year.

in PvP

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

in PvP

Posted by: Kasso.8675

Kasso.8675

inb4 copter drones in the hammer-engineer video turn out to be the new turrets.

Rocket Drone,
Rifle Drone,
Net Drone.

Ah… one can dream.

in PvP

Posted by: Projectmar.4136

Projectmar.4136

To be honest the reason why I played turrets is because i like the idea of turrets in videos games. When I first saw engineers in gw2 beta i liked them for the turret aspect. When playing with turrets its not as face roll as people make it out to be and also very vulnerable and lacked a lot. Also i’m not to interested in a lot of the meta specs. I have tried them and they felt lackluster to me. Also I have tried every class out ingame and a lot of them seem very limited in what is effected in many games modes. Completely destroying a large portion of a classes effective which was already not the greatest is kinda off odd. I find grenade kinda of uninteresting atm. I like to use turrets in pve sometimes aswell as in wvw. its not only pvp people should be thinking about when asking for something to change. Its very selfish and narrow sighted. That goes for any class ingame.

in PvP

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

I think the real question is who were these scrub lords who were defeated by turret engies pre-nerf who could just sit amongst there turret and not die? Whenever I ran turret and got in a fight, I would find myself quickly with all skills on cool down and an empty stamina bar (and those were the fights I won). Turret engie certainly wasn’t a super hard build, but it wasn’t mindless, and it certainly wasn’t particularly devastating to anyone with an IQ above 70.

Now I am going to have to struggle to find a use for turrets, since no amount of placement is going to keep a flame or thumper from being a wasted skill slot now. I guess rifle is still good for its toolbelt in a static discharge if nothing else. If only we could do boons…then perhaps team up with a ranger using healing spring…

Kittening noobs, always ruining the game crying for nerfs instead of learning to play…

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I think the real question is who were these scrub lords who were defeated by turret engies pre-nerf who could just sit amongst there turret and not die? Whenever I ran turret and got in a fight, I would find myself quickly with all skills on cool down and an empty stamina bar (and those were the fights I won). Turret engie certainly wasn’t a super hard build, but it wasn’t mindless, and it certainly wasn’t particularly devastating to anyone with an IQ above 70.

Now I am going to have to struggle to find a use for turrets, since no amount of placement is going to keep a flame or thumper from being a wasted skill slot now. I guess rifle is still good for its toolbelt in a static discharge if nothing else. If only we could do boons…then perhaps team up with a ranger using healing spring…

Kittening noobs, always ruining the game crying for nerfs instead of learning to play…

It’s really funny when the used to be turret engis call other players noobs.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Might as well share what my lil Asura named “Dirty Turrets” was running. I called it my “Boom’n Boon” build because I was sharing all Boons but Aegis, with almost 50% up time. I tried it out post patch and it’s dead.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUpPrVWx2KseNiaBF6f0mAI6PGyb/pIA-TJRHwADuAAs2fAwDA4YZAA

I was running a cele bomb build with turrets. From the Bomb Healing, boon sharing, mass regen, and the high level of CC’s, it was as supportive as it could be. Of course the fields and blast finishers gave it a lot of usability. In contrast to popular belief about turret builds, what was great about my build was that it really shined when played hyper actively.

For now, the build isn’t faring well at all. Which is all a mute point really since Bomb Healing is being completely removed from the game anyway. “Experimental Turret’s” is worthless now that turret’s have no sustainability. Even if I were to put the turrets outside of harms way, they’d also end up being outside of boon sharing range.

People may think what they want about Turret builds in general but, I’ll continue to believe mine was good addition to PvP. At least my build had to get Dirty and melee. It’s sad to see such a build lost to the Meta. Let’s all nade spam, yaaa’aay……. <yawn>

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

they kinda were though… I played like 10 games of it and people just ate all of your cc’s, never focused rocket turret, and would go stand beside the thumper when on half health. most players in the game are dumb and will teleport into enemy AOE etc. turret engi was not hard to beat if you think while you fight, unless you were running glass melee- and gosh, if someone is running a counter dont QQ avoid them. I don’t QQ about condition ranger when I’m on my engi, I just refuse to fight them 1v1.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I’ve actually been running a typical SD Engi build but swapped out Rifle Turret for Rocket Turret. The cooldown is longer on bothe the turret and toolbelt, but so is the damage. And a quick overcharged Rocket Turret knockdown is a great set up for my burst rotation. But using turrets outside of placing them just to overcharge and detonate, just not worth it. Saw a poor guy running Flamethrower with Flame Turret and Rocket Turret, just wasting those two utility slots.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

I’ve encountered a single turret engi. The thumper died in seconds. I know I should be concerned with balance and fairness to engis but it just felt way too good.
The turret engi logged after a few fights. Guess they didn’t know about the nerf.
:")

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’ve encountered a single turret engi.

Yeah, I only played a couple of matches on my Thief today. Ran into one Turret Engi and I felt bad. Here he’s tossing down all his turret’s and getting ready fight a 2v. I popped Dagger Storm and wiped the Turrets in what seemed like only an a couple of seconds.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

lol.

+1000

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Well what about a massive reduction in turret recharge time to get the balace. So you have active play.
Turret dies, engi sets a new one in another spot.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Turret Engineers are no longer viable. Very rarely will you ever see them used in conquest anymore and when you do, it’s usually because someone is logging in for the first time since the turret nerf.

The funniest part about it is that turrets were never viable to begin with. The only people complaining about turrets were new, casual and sometimes intermediates.
But enough embellished complaints were given and now you all have exactly what you asked for and that was the complete destruction of Engineer turret play.

Few points to be made:

• Turrets were the only engi counter-play vs. conditions. Now Engineers are even weaker to condition builds than they were before. Even Supply Crate just gets nuked to condi splash now.
  • A slight decrease in turret health would have been sufficient. Something like -10% or -15% would have been a far better adjustment than allowing condis to tick on the turrets.
  • Anytime something like this occurs “a whole list of utilities being nerfed in to the ground” we all lose game dynamic and choices. Be very careful what you kitten about in this forum.
I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Why don’t you read the post above yours?

Turrets were /afk easy mode. NEVER should you encourage passive ai play. And I’ve seen turrets used in higher ranked pvp, with succes. Just use them like they should be used. Well positioned, and well placed.

Not spammed on the middle of a node.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

Everything has been attempted and played to reasonable effect by great players in higher tiers.

The fact remains, no team with a turret engineer has ever won a money tournament and that says a lot. What it mainly says is that turret engineers were never viable to begin with vs. mainstream metas. Now they’re just completely useless.

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

The only people complaining about turrets were new, casual and sometimes intermediates.

Many top players were complaining about the build. Whether it was OP or not is debatable, but it was for sure imbalanced.

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

I’d say it was more annoying than anything. Not imbalanced and certainly not OP. What top players were complaining about is that it was a build that allowed casuals/intermediates to keep up in the bottom ranks of higher tier. Any AI fronts a certain level of “carry” in any game but in the end it is limited and not as rewarding as playing builds that completely reward human intelligence, such as Cele/Rifle, D/D Cele Ele or +1 Peeling Thiefs.

Turret Engineers were terrible in higher tier team vs. team. Better teams play very aggressively with tight communication and precise strategies. When you are launching efforts to purposely stagger your enemy in to their base, cut off their respawns and peelers “engaging off point for the right reasons”, turret engineers cannot do squat when staggered and/or off-point. If they can’t get to that point to drop those turrets, they seriously count for nothing at all and let me tell ya… they’re mobility is terrible with all turret utilities.

in PvP

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Turrets sucked. I’m glad they’re finally being treated like every other AI. They had way too much health(they couldn’t be crit or conditioned so their effective health was too high). Why would anyone want to bring back massive AI builds unless they largely benefited from it?

in PvP

Posted by: saniok.8702

saniok.8702

If turrets are gonna be condi’able then they should get boons as well, else the whole concept is a bunch of nonsense

in PvP

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Turrets sucked. I’m glad they’re finally being treated like every other AI. They had way too much health(they couldn’t be crit or conditioned so their effective health was too high). Why would anyone want to bring back massive AI builds unless they largely benefited from it?

You should not be glad that they did this to any set of utilities. Engineer turrets are now thrown upon the heap of other utilities that lost all viability in any serious form of play. Not only the utilities, but there are large sets of traits that are “avoid at all costs” now because of this too. While the old design of turrets needed to be changed, it needed to be changed to something meaningful, useful, and skillful. Right now you can’t even use it effectively in any game mode, so it’s worthless code. Until they revamp the way that the turrets function, they will stay this way.

This isn’t just about AI utilities either. There’s a reason people don’t like to play trap builds either, and that’s because traps are effectively less useful than many other skills. I can’t imagine too many people complained about static traps on the ground, but their power is so underwhelming, so they don’t see as much play.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

what was done to turrets was have them skinned dipped in industrial acid tossed to a volcano then pulled out then blasted with an orbital beam while simultaneously nuked and then have planet sized meteor fall on it

thats how overkill the nerf was

the problem with the nerf are obvious :
no compensation, no way to cleanse turrets nor boon them , the riflet barrels grandmaster will be removed so turrets will be completely when specializations hit as you wont be able to place them away from harm, even if turrets could be cleansed and booned they are too weak their damage is mediocre and dont have enough armor and hp to survive direct attack , they cant even crit enemies .

the turret issue was a learn to play issue in the first place except for condi build players i ll admit those stood no chance as i tested that myself

and the biggest kicker was that the nerf was implemented for PvE and WvW modes the two modes where they were least successful already

(edited by Rezzet.3614)