Turret Engineer counters

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Sylv.3749

Sylv.3749

It is nice to finally see acknowledgement from Anet that changes are coming to the
nuisance that is turret engineer. While reading through Grouch’s post it is nice to
know changes are coming but until they are implemented, we still have to deal with
this build. This is why I wanted to make a thread about possible counters to the current
state of turret Engineer. While most people will say ignore them and just cap other
points, we’re getting to a point where there are multiple turret engies on one team,
due to groups intentionally doing so, or through the rng that is the queue system.
Long story short, there is going to come a time where you have to fight a turret
engineer. So instead of making another QQ forum post with “nurf this build or i’ll
quit this game forever and I mean it this time” post, I wanted to create a thread with
easy access to the knowledge for overcoming turret engies with the help of the PvP community. Currently useful information about countering this build is scattered
throughout the QQ forums but I was hoping we could compile them into a single thread.

For example:

Destroying the rocket turret is super beneficial since it is one of the turret engie’s
major damage dealer. If focused it will go down quickly.

Do not fight them alone (even if you can win) since the time and effort spent
trying to kill him can be better spent being useful elsewhere rather than killing
a class that can just respawn, come back, and set up shop again.

Condi classes have an upperhand against this build since turret engies don’t have
excessive condi removal. (I don’t have a whole lot of experience with condi classes
so correct me if I am wrong on this one)

Anyway these are the few tips that I have.

I’ve seen a lot of people rage in map chat, or team chat about how stupid their
teammates are when it comes to dealing with turret engies. I will admit that it
annoys me greatly when one of teammates repeatedly attempts to solo them only to
die over and over. However, I figure I’d rather use my breathe in hopes to inform
rather than rage at these people and shower them with pointless insults.

Bottom line is I was hoping the community could help by posting other advise or knowledge to effectively deal with turret engies.

What I’m looking for:
General tips for fighting turret engies
Builds that are super effective against turret engies
Any other information that that is helpful

TLDR:
The purpose of this thread is to gather useful information and inform the masses
about how to effectively counter turret engies. Help contribute by posting helpful information.

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

I find it quite effective to long range them with for example power ranger lb or mezmer gs and also to use the enviroment in a way that the torrets can’t shoot at you.

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

As_shatter mesmer you can kill him very fast. With moa you will kill it even more faster

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

After the turret nerfs, condi guardian… guwhahaha… haha.. But seriously.

A 62600 burst zerk guardian can beat a turret engi 1v1. It’s not that they can’t be beaten.. it’s the fact that it takes years to do it. It isn’t exactly realistic to go against them in Conquest because it takes too long. Just like any other bunker spec, it’s best to walk around them and move on.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Playing thief, I will avoid them if I can.
If I really need to, I’ll use my Shortbow to AA and Clusterbomb the turrets down, mixed with #3 to dodge the annoying immobilizes that the Engi might shoot.
If the turrets go down, then I move in with my Melee Set.

If I play D/P (and the Engi is low allready), I’ll link #5 into ShadowStep, Heartseeker into steal or inf signet and go for the backstab.
Goes real fast and usually takes away the last bit of health they had in less then a second or something. Plus you still got Shadow Return for an easy way out if it goes wrong.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Classes, which can 1v1 and win:
Ranger(Longbow, Trapper), Mesmer(Shatter, Condi), Engineer(Turret(duh),Condi).

Classes, which can kill him in a 2v1: Ranger(Longbow, Condi, Spirits, Trapper), Mesmer(Shatter, Condi), Engineer(Turret, Cele, Condi, Decap), Necro(Condi, Power(needs Lich)), Ele(Staff Zerk).

The problem is, that the current meta features hybrid builds with lots of healing, moderate condi pressure and moderate, but constant damage. Celestial builds get eaten alive by turreteers and meditation guardians just can’t punch through those 27k health.

As for easy build adjustments to counter turrets and strategies:
Ranger: Take Drake. Lightning breath wrecks turrets and the drake just won’t die to turret fire. A trapper can just casually walk in, drop condi and kill the turreteer. Generally, even as power ranger, first load him up with cover condis, wait for him to use overcharge shot(the only immobilize clean besides the 2 condi clean on healing turret overcharge) then immediately pin him down with a cc skill and drop entangle. He won’t be able to get out. As a power engi, you may want to destroy the healing turret before attempting this.
Mesmer: Be a Mesmer. A mesmer can easily solo a turreteer. Just never go on point until you’ve cleared the ranged turret threat. When in doubt, just portal bomb him with some friends.
Ele: Get frost bow. No seriously. GET FROST BOW. In a 2v1, you can just nuke the turrets away in an instant. I didn’t list D/D above, because it’s so specific, but regardless of your build, if you have a frost bow, unless your ally is a thief, you can always 2v1 the turret engi.
Necro: Always 2v1 (or with lich even 2v2) never 1v1. As a powermancer, flush him out with lich form. As a condi mancer, just do your thing.
Engi: If you are an engi you should know the weaknesses of the turret build. Just load him up with grenades till he keels over.
Guardian: Never 1v1. Only 2v1 with one of the classes listed above and only if you know, that person is halfway competent. You are just there to provide pressure, so your mate can do his thing.
Warrior: You are just there to provide meat. stick to the 2v1 clear classes and pressure the turret engi.
Thief: Only 2v1 with the “solo” classes. Yes, don’t even bother 2v1 with the classes listed in the 2v1 department. It’s just such a bad matchup. If you are a condition thief, all of this doesn’t apply, but chances are, if you are a condition thief, you either don’t know, what you are doing, in which case general advice won’t help or you know exactly, what you are doing, in which case, you don’t need advice in the first place.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Classes, which can 1v1 and win:
Ranger(Longbow, Trapper), Mesmer(Shatter, Condi), Engineer(Turret(duh),Condi).

Classes, which can kill him in a 2v1: Ranger(Longbow, Condi, Spirits, Trapper), Mesmer(Shatter, Condi), Engineer(Turret, Cele, Condi, Decap), Necro(Condi, Power(needs Lich)), Ele(Staff Zerk).

The problem is, that the current meta features hybrid builds with lots of healing, moderate condi pressure and moderate, but constant damage. Celestial builds get eaten alive by turreteers and meditation guardians just can’t punch through those 27k health.

As for easy build adjustments to counter turrets and strategies:
Ranger: Take Drake. Lightning breath wrecks turrets and the drake just won’t die to turret fire. A trapper can just casually walk in, drop condi and kill the turreteer. Generally, even as power ranger, first load him up with cover condis, wait for him to use overcharge shot(the only immobilize clean besides the 2 condi clean on healing turret overcharge) then immediately pin him down with a cc skill and drop entangle. He won’t be able to get out. As a power engi, you may want to destroy the healing turret before attempting this.
Mesmer: Be a Mesmer. A mesmer can easily solo a turreteer. Just never go on point until you’ve cleared the ranged turret threat. When in doubt, just portal bomb him with some friends.
Ele: Get frost bow. No seriously. GET FROST BOW. In a 2v1, you can just nuke the turrets away in an instant. I didn’t list D/D above, because it’s so specific, but regardless of your build, if you have a frost bow, unless your ally is a thief, you can always 2v1 the turret engi.
Necro: Always 2v1 (or with lich even 2v2) never 1v1. As a powermancer, flush him out with lich form. As a condi mancer, just do your thing.
Engi: If you are an engi you should know the weaknesses of the turret build. Just load him up with grenades till he keels over.
Guardian: Never 1v1. Only 2v1 with one of the classes listed above and only if you know, that person is halfway competent. You are just there to provide pressure, so your mate can do his thing.
Warrior: You are just there to provide meat. stick to the 2v1 clear classes and pressure the turret engi.
Thief: Only 2v1 with the “solo” classes. Yes, don’t even bother 2v1 with the classes listed in the 2v1 department. It’s just such a bad matchup. If you are a condition thief, all of this doesn’t apply, but chances are, if you are a condition thief, you either don’t know, what you are doing, in which case general advice won’t help or you know exactly, what you are doing, in which case, you don’t need advice in the first place.

Add Cele ele staff and dd both can 1v1 turret engi no prob.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

I’ve never had problems against a cele dd.
That being said, I never encountered a good cele dd, while sitting on my point, minding my business. They usually only show up, when I take my main(thief) for a spin. However, i still feel like the cele dd just won’t kill the turret engi fast enough. The important aspect here are defensive rotations.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Pichichi.1975

Pichichi.1975

Staff ele can delete turrets and kick a turret engi off point to steal a full cap no problem. If they do that stupid floating turret crap though it’s another story.

Tukuku – Mesmer / Mimiyukii -Thief / Sailor Mimi – Necromancer
[DERP] [iRez]

Turret Engineer counters

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I’ve never had problems against a cele dd.
That being said, I never encountered a good cele dd, while sitting on my point, minding my business. They usually only show up, when I take my main(thief) for a spin. However, i still feel like the cele dd just won’t kill the turret engi fast enough. The important aspect here are defensive rotations.

That’s because dd eles are not really great for beating a turret engi. Their damage heavily relies on burning, which turrets till now weren’t able to recieve. Plus, they have to be in melee range and take all the damage.

On the other hand, fresh air can beat a turret engi but it requires perfect play.

(edited by Laraley.7695)