Updates to Matchmaking

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I think an important point is being missed. Balance is not just about players. It’s also about professions.

With Mesmer kneecapped in the recent patch and ranger given nuke damage potential.. the individual value of each of those professions is significantly different.

Mesmerising Girl

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

So why when my team gets trounced I keep getting the same people on my team?

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

Well, I’m at wolf rank, and I just went up against a dragon. I’m sorry, but if that happens, then some part of your matching is clearly busted. Even if my win rate is a little over 50%, I should not be going up against people with 40 ranks on me. Horrible match.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: aggelos r.5387

aggelos r.5387

Well, I’m at wolf rank, and I just went up against a dragon. I’m sorry, but if that happens, then some part of your matching is clearly busted. Even if my win rate is a little over 50%, I should not be going up against people with 40 ranks on me.

why u say that it was a 1vs 1? the MMR its about the hole team

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

My other account has lost the vast majority of matches today.. something on the order of 2 wins and 15 losses. Part of that is the heavy Mesmer nerf.. still.

Mesmerising Girl

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Atharian.7092

Well, I’m at wolf rank, and I just went up against a dragon. I’m sorry, but if that happens, then some part of your matching is clearly busted. Even if my win rate is a little over 50%, I should not be going up against people with 40 ranks on me.

why u say that it was a 1vs 1? the MMR its about the hole team

Am I at the level of a dragon ranked player? No, I’m not. Thus, I do not wish to be matched against one. MMR might be about the whole team, but it was still a frustrating experience for me that I’d rather avoid. I’m clearly not at that kind of skill level.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Am I at the level of a dragon ranked player? No, I’m not.

Seems to me you either underestimate yourself or overestimate the experience that comes with the additional time required to get the dragon rank.

The rank is just a sign about time invested and has nothing to do with skill. An extreme example might be, that he just farmed his rank in a rank farm.

The MMR is to determine your skill and from what you have told us about your win rate, it seems, that it is actually placing you in the right place.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Atharian.7092

A fair point. This was just a situation where I felt I was put in a game that was far above my skill level. Being irritated at the time, I blamed it on an opponent being much higher rank, haha. But yes, you make a good point, I was just bothered by that game.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Well, I’m at wolf rank, and I just went up against a dragon. I’m sorry, but if that happens, then some part of your matching is clearly busted. Even if my win rate is a little over 50%, I should not be going up against people with 40 ranks on me. Horrible match.

Matchmaking doesn’t work like that and dragon rank isn’t related to mmr anyway. Look for the dev post in this thread it explains it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Am I at the level of a dragon ranked player? No, I’m not.

Seems to me you either underestimate yourself or overestimate the experience that comes with the additional time required to get the dragon rank.

The rank is just a sign about time invested and has nothing to do with skill. An extreme example might be, that he just farmed his rank in a rank farm.

The MMR is to determine your skill and from what you have told us about your win rate, it seems, that it is actually placing you in the right place.

Thats not necessarily true and you know it. Rank may be an indicator of skill or may not be but you act like its never and indicator of skill. There are things you need to do like rotate that take a long time to learn for most people and many many intricacies. There are tons of rank 80’s around who were rank 50+ under the old system something that took many many games of experience to play. The vast majority of people did not rank farm those people are long gone because they didn’t care about pvp in this game to begin with. The MMR in this game is dodgy at best (they do stupid things like start you at an average MMR for one thing) and there is a time limit for matching meaning the game will expand ranges for matching purposes the longer you are in the queue. I don’t know what the answer is because the playerbase is not large enough to put harder controls on the matching but its never the neat little package your pretend it is. I await the day when you admit A-net did something wrong ever.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Matchmaking doesn’t work like that and dragon rank isn’t related to mmr anyway. Look for the dev post in this thread it explains it.

I don’t know if it was removed or not but your rank was taken into effect as part of the match making algorithm. Maybe it’s not now but it was.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: December.3946

December.3946

This is a screenshot the night this update went live:

http://imgur.com/L69zWY9

As you can see, Wakkey (Abjured), Cast, and I (Physicks) trio queued + Zoe L and Nnight (Apex) against 5 soloqueuers.

Not fully convinced the matchmaking issues were fixed— perhaps there is another bug?

Physicks [The Dankening]

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

If you are going afk, you are doing your team a huge disservice and are probably a good part of the reason your team is losing.

Mesmerising Girl

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Thats not necessarily true and you know it. Rank may be an indicator of skill or may not be but you act like its never and indicator of skill. There are things you need to do like rotate that take a long time to learn for most people and many many intricacies.

I think we are talking about the same thing, but just to clarify anyway:
Time played does not mean you have more skill.

Can time played (rank) be at least an indicator? The time you invest into pvp grants you more experience overall, therefore an average rank 80 player will most likely have more skill than a rank 30 player but we can’t tell for sure.
(Real life example: Even if I play thousands of hours of chess/soccer/whatever, there might come a real talent that will just beat man no matter what.)

How do we determine skill? With a mmr system like glicko2.

I await the day when you admit A-net did something wrong ever.

I have personally criticized ANet often (even got a forum ban for a nonconstructive criticism).
I’m not posting here to talk about how great or bad the matchmaking is, just to educate people about one of the most annoying misconceptions: rank != skill.

On a side note: there is a constructive way to talk about match making problems. Include all the match details of the match you think should not have happened (time+timezone, map, endscore, reason) I pm’ed Justin about 8 month ago with some informations, which led to uncover some failures in the system.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

(edited by Teutos.8620)

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: onevsone.2098

onevsone.2098

I did like 9 matches in ranked today but the main issue is not really the mmr but the totally unbalanced party composition . There were full premade against solo team but honestly the main issue is when you face (or you have) a bunker composition against a squishy composition.

Not everyone can reroll or play two professions at the same level, it’s really necessary the algorithm keeps in consideration professions and role, and your skill level with their specific profession/role.

It’s only way to have a pretty well balanced game, only the mmr is not enough.

And never never you should meet a full premade when you’re solo.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

Na I’m not the only one who goes afk I’m usually the second or third , especially when your whole entire team leaves the base and dies in 5 seconds and repeat over and over and never able to capture even 1 thing because the other team is a very organized premade team all on team speak and all they do is farm your not so organized team then laugh at you . Its easyer to just wait for the slaughter to end.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

Matchmaking feels EXACTLY the same as it did before the fix. You win a couple of games and then you get matched with complete kittens to lose the next few. Thanks Anet, really brilliant stuff.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

For me this MMR feels worse. Maybe I was just unlucky with the teams I got but for the most part I got people that did silly things. Leaving all caped points open for decap and stuff like that.

Edit: far far worse

(edited by LunarNacht.8913)

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

question: this is match-make by the account or by the toon players are most skill at?

ie: I am better playing mesmer and seriously bad at warrior in pvp, so when I play my warrior do I get team up with the skillful team or the correct level team that my noob warrior should be in?

question: whats MMR ? lol :P

Guild Wars 2 Forever

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

question: this is match-make by the account or by the toon players are most skill at?

ie: I am better playing mesmer and seriously bad at warrior in pvp, so when I play my warrior do I get team up with the skillful team or the correct level team that my noob warrior should be in?

question: whats MMR ? lol :P

I’m pretty sure MMR is by account overall, not by profession because people can change professions before the match starts.

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

MMR still the same crap…few wins and then I start getting newbs every single match….so I guess that 50/50 rule is here to stay

Updates to Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Scambug.3502

Scambug.3502

Something seems broken to me. Before the patch I was sitting at around 53% w/l in ranked after about 500 games.
After the patch I’ve played maybe 30 games but only won 5 or so.
The biggest difference I’m noticing post patch is a big influx of bad players and for some reason they always seem to be on my team