What Builds do the Devs Run?

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Just a bit of random curiosity, what builds are the devs running these days? I know their pvp matches don’t consist of Warriors running around going “trolololol” for 15 mins, so I was wondering what the devs enjoy playing and why they picked those particular builds?

From what I gather

Josh Davis/Grouch: Engineer (which?)
Justin Odell: Lockdown Mesmer (which?) / Teldo Engineer
Evan Lesh: Warrior (?)
Tyler Chapman/Powerr: Necro

anyone know anymore build specifics?

in PvP

Posted by: DoYourBestBear.6810

DoYourBestBear.6810

John Peters runs a 5 signet warrior, no joke – this should give you some indication as to why warrior is the way it is.

Evan plays PvE unless coaxed into tpvp with easy wins. ;P

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

One thing is for sure, and this is not meant as a diss.

Even with the massive amounts of insider knowledge, none of the dev’s run builds that are innovative or anti/counter meta. They tend to run simple builds that don’t require a lot of thought, because they are simply not that invested in this format.

I’m not saying this to brag, but I have successfully 2v1’d developers before. My proudest was at the beginning of the hambow atrocity, I was runnin hammer/gs and 2v1’d Powerr and Nightmare who were running hambow

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

powerr plays staff ele

idk who this warrior guy is tho

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Engi, necro and war…why am i not surprised?

in PvP

Posted by: Tyler Chapman.1832

Tyler Chapman.1832

PvP and Balance QA Embed

Next

I actually play all 8 classes, I’ve helped start multiple metas!

I play terror necro, most every ele spec, d/p s/p and s/d thief mainly. But I tinker around with every class like I said.

That screenshot tho! WP!

in-game alias: Powerr
Skills and Balance/PvP Team Principal QA
Former active member of Team PZ

(edited by Tyler Chapman.1832)

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I can’t tell if Tyler’s account just got hacked or if he had too much coffee today, haha.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

The reason I asked is because in another thread Justin says he plays a lockdown Mesmer. I am simply just curious about which builds they enjoy playing the most and why (and the one dev that responded didn’t really answer the question. =[ )

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Evan plays Ceo and Prez 2014

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

I have 1 of each class, just to keep tabs on how they feel in general.

But if I’m actually trying to hold my own, I run:

• Sword/Sword + Bow Warrior
  • Hambow (to keep tabs on how it feels in the meta)
  • Various Necros
  • Various Guardians
  • Various Mesmers
  • On internal servers, been playing around with a few new Ranger specs

I don’t get as much time to play as I used to, but when I do play, those are the specs I gravitate towards.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Archaon.6245

• Various Necros
  • Various Guardians
  • Various Mesmers

I don’t get as much time to play as I used to, but when I do play, those are the specs I gravitate towards.

So…how does hambow feel compared to, let’s say, mesmer? Sincerely….let’s see if it’s the same for me used to main mesmer and forced to reroll war instead if i have to go for a dps role…

in PvP

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

• Various Necros
  • Various Guardians
  • Various Mesmers

I would ask you to try a D/D 10/30/10/10/10 Elementalist. Use any utilities / heal you want with a berzerker amulet / jewel. Run VI / VI, X, (Fresh Air- Believe is XII) / VI / VI / VI (can be swapped in sPvP as the 25% run speed from D/D not necessary. I’d go vigor on crit or arcane cooldowns reduced.

This spec gives a lot of damage for D/D but you may find without going 30 water 30 arcane you will melt. And I guarantee if you swap out /D for /F you still wont have enough survivability.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

So…how does hambow feel compared to, let’s say, mesmer? Sincerely….let’s see if it’s the same for me used to main mesmer and forced to reroll war instead if i have to go for a dps role…

I would be interested to hear some devs’ comments on current builds/ professions too. But I wonder if they have the time available.

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Conjure Ele anyone?

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in PvP

Posted by: Rassase.7943

Rassase.7943

so that’s why thief is no good….try play it more, it sucks.

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

Devs copy and paste their builds don’t you know! They play the Meta.

All is vain with GW2 PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Previous

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

Next

I play Warrior mainly and I dip a bit into guardian and necro. Warrior has been and will always be my favorite, I played it during all the beta weekends and will continue to play it. I mainly run Ham/Bow and Sword/Sword + Bow, but I usually run the most glassy warrior I can run and then go all in. When I am feeling saucy I run my old Axe/Shield + Rifle build.

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

Hugh is also a Warrior IRL.

Did you know?

Tryndamere (LOL) is actually based on Hugh. So is Akuma….or any “all in” character, in any game.

Ever.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

all warriors devs use bow? i think i made the best decission when i made my Main (and only character) a condition damage based warrior. I’m most of my time shotting arrows and areas, combos and more stuff. I’m happy for the last 6 months

However, i’m curious about the new changes we’ll see on 18th march. Will it make someone change their weapons or do you think it will just improve them? i’d feel dissapointed if i need to remove X weapon because now it’s useless.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Haven’t played my warrior in a while, but I believe I left him with sword/shield + longbow condi. Then I was playing static discharge engy for a while (still too noob to micro kits). Now I’m having a blast on my siphon necro!

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Morderger.6298

Morderger.6298

you can tell none of them play ele. The one that did jumped ship awhile ago.

Morderger – Elementalist / Zarnik – Warrior /Zerlurd – Ranger/ Slurd -Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/morderger

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

how u devs are not bored of conquest ? most of the builds arround are to run arround in circles inside a circle, obviously not thieves wich they have another job.

You know what i could make a huge thread saying blablalba there is no team work in the builds or stuff like that but it doesnt matter. u guys just gona close your eyes and ears and say everything is ok.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

you can tell none of them play ele. The one that did jumped ship awhile ago.

just for you

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

… Then I was playing static discharge engy for a while (still too noob to micro kits). …

wow a Dev was playing an engi.

Are you pleased with the condition removal playing a static discharge build ? I guess med it + tool kit = 1 condi removal)

Do you like the sustain on the engi ?

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

so, outta 4 devs posting here, only one uses ranger, and only on closed development test servers with builds, settings and traits that may or may not ever end up on the public servers. Great!!! No wonder why it had to end with a CDI thread to make it clear that the profession has major issues.

Would be fun, if the developers had to spend 1-2 hours a month on public servers with each profession. If nothing else, it would make them to see some of the issues we, the players, see, not just the issues they see from a development/balance POV.
Not to mention they may learn a few things they didnt know (as in unexpected side effects of their work).

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

So, you’ve obviously seen the need to replace pets with something more functional like perma-stow-to-buff or preparations from GW1 and return 100% dps to the Ranger, right? You’ve also obviously seen the need to keybind the active/passive command, right? RIGHT? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT????

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in PvP

Posted by: Heezdedjim.8902

Heezdedjim.8902

Having developers play the game always seems like a good idea, but of course their time to do that is limited, since they have actual work to do as well.

I wonder why more companies don’t employ a small pool of full-time test players who are assigned to each play certain classes for a certain number of hours per day, doing different sorts of activities in the game, and file detailed reports and feedback on the issues they run into, and what they see other players doing.

It seems like they could get people to do this for disgustingly low hourly rates, because, “I get paid to play games all day LOL!”

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

So, you’ve obviously seen the need to replace pets with something more functional like perma-stow-to-buff or preparations from GW1 and return 100% dps to the Ranger, right?

I don’t think there’s any need for that at all, that’s what a warrior is (and not even, that’s old kittenty warrior) and there’s no need to completely rebalance things by taking away a class mechanic and changing the class completely for no benefit when several builds already occupy the role exactly. I want to know where this “ranger needs no pet” circlejerk comes from. I didn’t make an engi and then complain endlessly to get toolbelt skills (or kits) removed in return for more damage.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Prysin.8542

So, you’ve obviously seen the need to replace pets with something more functional like perma-stow-to-buff or preparations from GW1 and return 100% dps to the Ranger, right?

I don’t think there’s any need for that at all, that’s what a warrior is (and not even, that’s old kittenty warrior) and there’s no need to completely rebalance things by taking away a class mechanic and changing the class completely for no benefit when several builds already occupy the role exactly. I want to know where this “ranger needs no pet” circlejerk comes from. I didn’t make an engi and then complain endlessly to get toolbelt skills (or kits) removed in return for more damage.

the remove pet circlejerk comes from some official statement back in the days saying that pet DPS is responsible for about 25-30% of player DPS. So people have this insane idea that if they remove the pet completely, they can get back those 25-30%.

Those same people does not realize that even without the pet, ranger DPS is actually quite high. You just have a hard time seeing it as you do stable damage contrary to burst damage as with most others. So while you may plink away on your SB doing 1-2k/hit @ melee range, you wont get those shiny 14-20k hits that a warrior can produce, so you must do horrible DPS in return… There is no sound logic behind min-max thesis’ regarding rangers. In the end, ranger DPS is usually higher then most others, because their main damage source is their AA, and not some “dodge and their DPS is null and void” burst attack.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Like I mentioned here, I play everything in PvP, but I spend most of my time on engineer. On the PvE/WvW side, I have two level 80s – engineer and thief. Everything else is level 1 (original gangster) or level 2. I have 16 character slots so I have multiples of some professions loaded with different specs.

On engineer, I tend to stick to bomb/nades (or nades/TK/RBoots in WvW), running either 30 5 0 20 15 or 30 0 0 30 10 (no AR). For everything else? Zerk lava-tomb icebow staff ele, shatter mes, spirit ranger, condi or bunker war, condi nec, bunker guard, d/p thief, etc.

Hope that answers your question!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

Like I mentioned here, I play everything in PvP, but I spend most of my time on engineer. On the PvE/WvW side, I have two level 80s – engineer and thief. Everything else is level 1 (original gangster) or level 2. I have 16 character slots so I have multiples of some professions loaded with different specs.

On engineer, I tend to stick to bomb/nades (or nades/TK/RBoots in WvW), running either 30 5 0 20 15 or 30 0 0 30 10 (no AR). For everything else? Zerk lava-tomb icebow staff ele, shatter mes, spirit ranger, condi or bunker war, condi nec, bunker guard, d/p thief, etc.

y u no Power Ranger?

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

y u no Power Ranger?

I’m not mighty morphin’ enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I would be interested to hear some devs’ comments on current builds/ professions too. But I wonder if they have the time available.

Time available. Nuts not available.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Prysin.8542

y u no Power Ranger?

I know, there’s no proper jumpsuits ingame… kitten , i knew there was a reason for my zerk ranger not being AS awesome….

in PvP

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

y u no Power Ranger?

Hah! I knew someone would get it.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in PvP

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Previous

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

Next

y u no Power Ranger?

Well said. . .

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Must… resist… “Most Interesting Man in the World” jokes…

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

For everything else? Zerk lava-tomb icebow staff ele, shatter mes, spirit ranger, condi or bunker war, condi nec, bunker guard, d/p thief, etc.

I heard you played quad-conjure ele when you got bored with your 4-kit engie.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

So, this is what happens during lunch breaks here…

Hugh asked our map artist Darrin to photoshop Chap after he saw the post. Priceless!

Darrin is the man.

Attachments:

in PvP

Prysin.8542

thats a fairly nice shop…. light settings are a tad off though.

in PvP

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

Hugh asked our map artist Darrin to photoshop Chap after he saw the post. Priceless!

Darrin is the man.

Loled

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

in PvP

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

How about Guardians? And Damage Guardian?

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Darrin is the man.

Resistance is futile!!!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Time available. Nuts not available.

Ignore hard questions mode – ON

You guys should stop working for anet and go straight into politics…no joke

@ Empa..all is vain, even trying to ask something…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Darrin is the man.

Epic…..

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Yeah

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Now I’m having a blast on my siphon necro!

Siphon necro?
Wait for it….

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good troll ^^

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

So some plays Ranger there…
What about me being your tester/ranger subdesigner?

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in PvP

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

I actually play all 8 classes, I’ve helped start multiple metas!

I play terror necro, most every ele spec, d/p s/p and s/d thief mainly. But I tinker around with every class like I said.

That screenshot tho! WP!

Seeing as you play “All” classes in SPVP…what do you run on your Ranger?

in PvP

Posted by: Iretha.7625

Iretha.7625

Do you guys do dungeons/fractals/wvw/spvp together? If you don’t, and you pug, how does your group react? Do they still do all the tricks people normally do to make dungeons go faster, or do they take an extra 20 minutes to look good and innocent? :P

And finally… are you even able to turn that anet tag off?