What RANKED pvp should be

in PvP

Posted by: Captain Obvious.6951

Captain Obvious.6951

I hear these types of things a lot in PvP.

“It’s just a game”
“I just want skins”
“I just want reward chests”
“I just wanna make gold”
“It’s just for fun”

For all of these statements that’s true, in "UN"ranked PvP. These are statements unskilled players make all the time and to be honest it gets old.

What RANKED PvP should be:

The only thing that matters is winning.

If you’re unsure of your build, don’t bring it.

If you’re unable to commit 100% to the full duration of the match, then don’t play. That means if your baby starts crying you are going to ignore it till the match is over. If your house is on fire, you will finish the match before leaving. If you cannot commit to this THEN DON’T FUGGIN QUE FOR RANKED!

You should be playing each match as if there were $1,000,000 going to the winner. If that were true, would you be playing your current profession with your build? Would you be rushing off to far point, leaving your team to 3v4 at mid? Then die at far point, handing them 2 points, who then rush towards your home where they know there’s only 1 player on your team left, possibly giving them now all 3 points?

This isn’t just a Guild Wars problem. It’s a gaming problem period. People just don’t take RANKED games seriously enough. People just want skins, gold, points towards golden guns, whatever the case may be.

Ranked SHOULD be a place where only the best bring their A games and hopefully get matched against equally skilled players where each victory is an adrenaline rush. Sadly this isn’t the case. I’d say a good 50% of the players in ranked play as if they don’t give a crap at all, and easily 80% or more of games end in 500-300(or less) victories cause the mismatched games.

During my 10 placements this season I even had the same flippin guy throw TWO games. The first one the team lost mid fight and he said “are you serious?” and afk’d the rest of the match.

The next match he said “Oh YOU AGAIN! I’m AFK!” and literally afk’d the entire match AGAIN! Then he sent me a mail saying he was going to afk EVERY game he ever saw me in forever. I mean what a joke. I’d ban this guy for life from ranked games period.

So yah Anet, can you put some seriousness into people and make it so people actually give a crap about ranked games?

1) Remove dailies from ranked, move to unranked

2) Remove reward chests, move to unranked

3) Start perma-banning players from ranked who are 100% known to be throwing/trolling games. Put a nice plaque somewhere with their names so we can all enjoy it.

4) Only give rewards at end of season according to your highest achieved rank. That means players who don’t feel as if they will ever get higher, will stop playing ranked. That’s a GOOD thing. They can now go play unranked to get better or farm chests and rewards.

5) End of season rewards should be SPECTACULAR! I’m talking like gold players getting 500 gold, 50-100 of each top tier mats, maybe some cool skins. And even better rewards for Plat/Legend players.

6) Stop rewarding failure! If you’re silver or below, you get consilation prizes not worth much of anything. Under 50% of the field = you get next to nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Dailies in unranked is ok.
Chest Tracks is one of the few reasons to play in sPvP and don’t force you to play ranked because you can obtain the same reward in unranked and fight worst players. If I really want to farm a chest I don’t do rankeds.

gold players that obtain 500 gold? You talk like is hard to be gold…
Maybe gold 30, plat 800 and legendary 150, but nothing more.

Obtain a single pip if you lose is only a “thx for playing” thing from ANet, nothing more.

For all the other things, ANet can’t make players good. If someone play just for play without effort and interest, if someone have to go in the middle of the match, if someone see you and say “not you again, I go afk” (if someone told you that there have to be reason, no one ever told me something like that…), if players don’t know what to do or play only to make golds, skins and more…
ANet can’t fix people.

Stop asking to make people better, ANet can’t fix them.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I do 2 things you hate in ranked… Having fun and using a non-meta build lmao

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

3) Start perma-banning players from ranked who are 100% known to be throwing/trolling games. Put a nice plaque somewhere with their names so we can all enjoy it.

Be sure to hire a lawyer when u propose this to the A-net staff cause they will try to find a loophole to allow the player in question to still return so that they can syphon money of said known/griefer/troll/afk’er etc. I’m wholeheartedly convinced after that debacle that they do not care about actual ingame behaviour. it’s one thing to have too many reports of bad behaviour. I could live with this, deluding myself that A-net did care but simply didn’t had the resources to tacle this problem or maby they do but they are so many of them we might never solve ’’my’’ problem. But here they had the chance to actually make an example out of the Abjured players, they had the evidence, they were videos posted, it was widely known and they still instincitevly looked for a loophole.

nothing will change about it. but if u are gonna try u better bring a lawyer. not even exagarating here.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

“It’s just a game” – People who don’t get kittened if they lose even if they gave it their all.
“It’s just for fun” – This is very subjective, a hard-core PvP player who wants to climb the ranks, plays for their own fun.
“I just want skins” – Blame the Devs.
“I just want reward chests” – Blame the Devs.
“I just wanna make gold” – Blame the Devs.

If you remove the rewards from ranked you will be waiting for 5+ minutes for matches every time, cause the majority of players will be playing un-ranked for rewards and fun.

I don’t mean this as an insult but if your all about unrewarding PvP and climbing the ranks, go play something else, there are TONs of other PvP only games that are significantly better then this GW’s sPvP (s stands for “kitten”).

That or change you attitude and don;t get kittened if you lose no matter what. Cause we all know that Anet wont ever improve upon sPvP (the s still stands for “kitten”).

in PvP

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

I “just” play ranked pvp “games” because it’s so much “fun” earning “gold” and finding those amazing “skins” in the “reward chests.”

;)

Sorry… I live for sarcasm but yeah, I do tend to agree with the OP as well. In ranked, I play to win.

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have no objections to allowing season rewards to be earned in Unranked as well. Ranked can keep their division badges and the specific titles as their unique rewards, as I suspect that the vast majority of PvP players are in it only for the skins/Legendary armor.

Honestly, I feel that ANet should just bite the bullet and revert the modes to Solo and Team Queue. That way, players who want to form their own team to avoid the messiness of unknown factors can do so. (So if any of your team isn’t pulling their own weight, that’s on them, and you for not weeding them out beforehand.)

Just be aware that the whole reason why ANet merged the two to begin was because Team Queue had SO few players that players were regularly waiting in queues for up to 30 mins. If that is something you can live with, you have my support for your suggestions.

in PvP

Posted by: Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

Wow! That’s quality kittenpost!

in PvP

Captain Obvious.6951

I didn’t say to only use meta builds. Hell I ran hammer rev all day in spvp and did very well actually. I was simply saying some people are likely testing builds, or using builds they aren’t fully familiar with in ranked.

I mean if you don’t have your build down to a T, knowing a good rotation, understanding cooldowns without even having to look and knowing what your build is good and weak against, then it shouldn’t be in ranked.

That’s what I was trying to convey there.

in PvP

Captain Obvious.6951

“It’s just a game” – People who don’t get kittened if they lose even if they gave it their all.
“It’s just for fun” – This is very subjective, a hard-core PvP player who wants to climb the ranks, plays for their own fun.
“I just want skins” – Blame the Devs.
“I just want reward chests” – Blame the Devs.
“I just wanna make gold” – Blame the Devs.

If you remove the rewards from ranked you will be waiting for 5+ minutes for matches every time, cause the majority of players will be playing un-ranked for rewards and fun.

I don’t mean this as an insult but if your all about unrewarding PvP and climbing the ranks, go play something else, there are TONs of other PvP only games that are significantly better then this GW’s sPvP (s stands for “kitten”).

That or change you attitude and don;t get kittened if you lose no matter what. Cause we all know that Anet wont ever improve upon sPvP (the s still stands for “kitten”).

I didn’t say I wanted unrewarding PvP. Read the post again. I was saying I don’t like the DAILY rewarded PvP which I feel is why a lot of players are even in ranked in the first place.

I did say I wanted the end of season rewards to be HUGE! And based solely off of your highest rating earned for the season. So if I can make about 10G a day average PvP’ing from chest rewards, end of season rewards should reflect that… and more…. based on the rank earned.

What I was trying to get across here is to just remove all the daily rewards so there’s no instant gratification in ranked. The only reward is at the end of the season, it’s based only on highest rank achieved, and it’s such a huge reward it is worth 90 days of playtime to wait for.

Players who feel they can’t achieve a higher rank would essentially be wasting their time in ranked and stop playing and like I said that would be a good thing. They would end up playing unranked instead for daily rewards, chests, and practice. Not using ranked constantly as a practice arena not giving a crap if they lose or not. It’s supposed to be competitive and majority of the time it doesn’t feel that way at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

For the AFK problem, I couldn’t agree more, AFKing is not taken care of like it should be. People literally say they will afk, there is written proof that they have no intent of respecting the rules… and you see these same players all the time.

However about “winning”, I would say that while yes it’s important, not everyone is at the same level, not everyone “has” to be that committed either.
And that’s fine! For really good people, there are higher divisions, where things get real and all. Leave the lower divisions for people who enjoy some good matches.
If you’re that good anyway you’ll end up leaving them soon enough. Why trying to prevent players from lower divisions to do their own thing?

In real life, in addition to winning, what matters is also to keep a good spirit in a competition. THAT I would say is the most important thing in ranked. And that is something that is completely disregarded by a lot of players.
A “GG” to the other team should be a strict minimum, congratulations when someone is clearly making the most of their build etc.
But no, most of what I see is X from the losing side is gonna blame everyone but themselves. Well sorry. I have no intention to win in company of people like this.

You want to bring back the spirit of winning? Punish AFKers, very severely, and channel mute/temp ban the trashtalkers. Allow the better players to lead a group efficiently and silence those who are only there for their own kitten.

(edited by Deihnyx.6318)

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I didn’t say to only use meta builds. Hell I ran hammer rev all day in spvp and did very well actually. I was simply saying some people are likely testing builds, or using builds they aren’t fully familiar with in ranked.

I mean if you don’t have your build down to a T, knowing a good rotation, understanding cooldowns without even having to look and knowing what your build is good and weak against, then it shouldn’t be in ranked.

That’s what I was trying to convey there.

Aye but I’m a bit of a kitten and couldn’t help myself… Otherwise I agree, ranked should be taken seriously.

My main grief from ranked are people who afk before the game has begun or strait after mid point fight. I can personally work around a bad player or 2 but I can’t carry a 4v5 while the guy in base taps forward every 30s so he doesn’t DC.

A bad player can still be used as a meatbag so to speak.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I “just” play ranked pvp “games” because it’s so much “fun” earning “gold” and finding those amazing “skins” in the “reward chests.”

;)

Sorry… I live for sarcasm but yeah, I do tend to agree with the OP as well. In ranked, I play to win.

I do exactly these things, (I want legendary armor and easier to get ascended for my alts to run fractals (my favorite pve mode) on all 11 of my characters) but I also play to win as I know I can get up there (to gold at least) and play even better every season to do so. It really sucks ass that we have the afkers and griefers and people that fake DC (use character select and be slow on switching in) and don’t come in until late match or put in any effort. It sucks to win 3 in a row then have a losing streak of 5 or more after that. Or winning one then losing one over and over alternating every night after reset. I’ll usually play after daily reset or mid day next day from last reset and even stick around playing for 2-3 hours after dailies are done as I just love the mode and the game play. I like competing even if I’m not the best at it.

I enjoy the game an GW 2 as a whole, so I always try to play my best and win. That all I can really hope for. I don’t half-ass kitten in this game. Ever.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

The issue is you have to make an evidence on how to differentiate these players. Sometimes it is obvious, some other times it can be much harder. I was typing on chat, drawing on map, the player kept running mid and dying there :
- Was he trolling ?
- A beginner ? / Not reading the chat ?

Running too easy swiss knife builds has a part too, people aren’t doing their best.