What would it take for gw2 to go esports?

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I think with a free PvP client, there will be more players

I would do it for the next 4 months. To at least test out the theory. Let players accumulate stuff from tracks & preview skins, but never be able to ware it or spend what they accumulate till they buy the game.

(edited by Vieux P.1238)

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I think with a free PvP client, there will be more players

I would do it for the next 4 months. To at least test out the theory. Let players accumulate stuff from tracks & preview skins, but never be able to ware it or spend what they accumulate till they buy the game.

No, they should be able to spend it, but they can’t use the Auction House. Then can level up to 80 using tomes and use all consumables in the Heart of the Mists.

Trust me, once they get to 80 in PvP they are going to want to buy the game so they can use their level 80 in the real PvE world.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

A good start would be fixing bugs that has been in the game for months and affect the gameplay and/or allows exploits.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

What Anet needs is a clear idea of what roles classes should fill, better balance around those roles, well designed and speedily implemented infrastructure additions, more variety in game types and maps, faster updates, a PTR, a well staffed team dedicated to all these changes, and a time machine that allows them to start to implement all of this 6 months after the game released rather than be still floundering at it nearly 3 years later.

The sad truth of it is that the “Esports” ship has almost certainly sailed. Too many failings, too much ignoring the playerbase, and too much waiting has hurt this game to the point where recovery is extremely unlikely.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: Mia Crazymike.1780

Mia Crazymike.1780

“Do remember there is a difference between individual intent and company policy.”

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Jon Sharp was an amazing dev. I feel like when he left pvp started to get worse.

He used to communicate with the community and he understood that balance means it should be fun to play with something AS WELL as against it.

He was correct on warriors when he resisted them being given mad condition removal because it would make them unstoppable machines of death. And he resisted it for ages and then they did it anyway and it ruined balance. He was against power creep and since he left everyone has just had free reign to add “cool stuff” to classes. That cool stuff is not cool at all because it involves getting passively procced for 10k on auto attacks or getting massive burning 24/7, or having heals which are high heal per second and very hard to interrupt.

PvP and balance development seems to lack a coherent direction that it had for the first 18 months of the game. Look at not being able to queue outside the HOTM. Terrible, truely terrible.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

PvP and balance development seems to lack a coherent direction that it had for the first 18 months of the game. Look at not being able to queue outside the HOTM. Terrible, truely terrible.

Lol?
Pvp has been all over the place since release.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

Make all classes relevant in pvp. Right now it seems to revolve around certain classes while other classes are sidelined. Ele, engie, warrior, guardian, and theif seem to be necessary components with a smattering of mesmers, and one necro from time to time. This makes the meta stale, and matches just repetitive. Would like to see the ranger and necro in more matches. That said I think this condi clearing meta has destroyed the likelihood of seing condi classes in matches and I don’t know how to resolve that.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I miss Sharp. He was the best with actually communicating and discussing community ideas. No one has been close to him in those regards. It became much harder to care and share information once he was gone because it all felt like it was hitting deaf ears. But hopefully HoT will just prove that wrong and prove its just less communication. If the job still gets done, at the end of the day I’m fine with it.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

BRING BACK GVG! Been saying the same thing since launch…

We need a 8vs8 Attack the guild hall mode with a ranked ladder and a spectator mode…

Stronghold looks promissing but will end up like Courtyard…
And courtyard has alot of potencial if had a separate queue

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

in PvP

Posted by: Peter.8047

Peter.8047

It’s too late, GW1 has more of a chance. It actually had proper competitive modes and balance. This game is a mess.

in PvP

Posted by: Boggs.6482

Boggs.6482

This game was doomed as an esport before it ever launched.
casual mmo = / = competitive esport

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

This game was doomed as an esport before it ever launched.
casual mmo = / = competitive esport

This is true

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

It’s too late, GW1 has more of a chance. It actually had proper competitive modes and balance. This game is a mess.

This.

Guild Wars 1 was way ahead of its time, its a shame that game came out before twitch was a thing, imo it would/should have dominated the streaming scene. Nothing like watching a perfectly executed rainbow spike dropping an overextending warrior in 0.3 seconds flat.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

As has likely already been said:

• Proper, frequent balance
  • Less cluster-kitten special effects for flashy skills
  • More noticeable effects for some of the more subtle skills
  • More skill-based gameplay
  • Expanding the meta so it’s not as limited
  • Less of the battle’s outcome being decided by passive traits, invisible to the viewer
  • Fancier llamas, possibly wearing tuxedos

GW1 was practically an e-sport with its frequent tournaments and in-game spectating menu (that only appeared when you pressed its key, not clogging up the top right of your UI), due to interesting, yet competitive modes (HoH wasn’t just bukering, but also didn’t have too many NPCs and mechanics in the way) and extreme build diversity (though that was too much of a hassle to balance, and was often done so questionably).

So for GW2 to become and e-sport, in my opinion, it would have to become a completely different game.

in PvP

Posted by: Mia Crazymike.1780

Mia Crazymike.1780

I actually want ArenaNet to start implementing more Hotfixes towards abilities/skills and other things that require that urgent attention/change. Alike Blizzard does with WoW.

Primarily, with certain abilities, skills, or items. So that overpowered ability, skill, or item doesn’t stay OP for so long until the next balance patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

I miss Sharp. He was the best with actually communicating and discussing community ideas. No one has been close to him in those regards. It became much harder to care and share information once he was gone because it all felt like it was hitting deaf ears. But hopefully HoT will just prove that wrong and prove its just less communication. If the job still gets done, at the end of the day I’m fine with it.

I feel like community ideas are really important for any game to take into consideration, and GW2 does a really bad job of it. Not saying they don’t take player ideas, but their communication and openness is horrible. People always make the excuse that they are understaffed, but if they are they can always get ideas from the community instead of being so secretive all the time. I mean CS GO has so much connection with the community. The game started up by the half life community and to this day the community plays a huge part in changes and even cosmetic things like skins. GW2 has none of this stuff even though skins and content ideas are even more important in a PvE and PvP game.

in PvP

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Man, hearing the method they plan on monetizing the game scares me a bit. Although they seem to understand that what players tell existing/potential players matters, it just doesn’t look like they want to also connect that to balance. If it takes a lot longer for things to get fixed in this game than others, it just makes it look like it’s being ignored and as a player, I don’t like that. I don’t even think I would mind if there were more frequent changes that might cause unbalance but would get changed back to fair in the next change or something. There couldn’t really be “meta” builds too quickly if things changed too quickly, right? That’s more just thinking aloud though, so there could be some holes in that. But at least everything would be fresh or at least always feel new or dynamic. That’s just the opinion of someone in the target audience of casual competitive they were shooting for though.

in PvP

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

So for GW2 to become and e-sport, in my opinion, it would have to become a completely different game.

Sadly I agree. What they did succeed in is somehow creating a game that is a complete and utter nightmare to balance. Each mechanical part works against itself in terms of balancing X and balancing Y. I really wish they expanded on how GW1 PvP worked, with skill mechanics being different from how they worked in PvE, but we’ve been saying that for years and I doubt they have the resources.

Let’s face it. GW2 is a watered down version mainly as a platform for cash shop monetization. The way they embrace the PvP community in this game is through marketing and shilling out these grandiose tournaments, instead of properly offer balance and tweaks to establish an evolving meta. They could care less about the average PvP player; if you’re a “Pro”, they love you.

I’d beg any Dev to tell me I’m wrong.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss