When does trash talk become "verbal abuse"?

in PvP

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

There is a fine line between trash talk and verbal abuse. It is possible to trash talk without verbally abusing the other player. EG: “You couldn’t tackle me in a phone booth” “I’m so fast you couldn’t see me with a telescope” etc.

So anyone that says trash talk and verbal abuse are one in the same, are people who don’t know how to trash talk without verbal-ling abusing others. Or they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and giving un expert opinions that have no factual information to them. Ignore these people and there comments. They are not the same. I could list names of every single person in this thread that has no idea what they are talking about but I wont I don’t care enough. Guys go learn something no excuse for ignorance in the digital age. That is trash talk I just trash talked you all without verbally abusing you.

However like I said there is a fine line Trash talk that goes to far then becomes verbal abuse. But the two are two different things in there purest form.

For example if I say to you wow your so bad ditch the zerker build. That is not verbal abuse that is trash talk. If i then continue to h arras you and start calling you names then it becomes verbal abuse. That is the fine line.

There is also a fine line between name calling and verbal abuse. Just calling someone a name one time is not verbal abuse. If u call someone a dodo head or something that is name calling. But if it continues to multiple names and becomes harassment that is verbal abuse.

verbal abuse typically involves harrasment and name calling. Trash talk doesnt necessary involve name calling or harassment therefore they are different.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in PvP

Posted by: AmuseDarkly.2430

AmuseDarkly.2430

[quote=2192166;Psybunny.8906:]

in PvP

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

I am baffled … how can someone after all the wars we have seen through the last century in all seriousness say, that words can’t do any harm?
I dare say, that that someone has no clue how manipulation of ppls mind works … and/or completely lacks empathy.
Even more: The world CAN idd be a filthy place, if we choose it to be so. Accepting the current state is a horrible way to encourage others to passively conform. But it doesn’t have to be so; it first and foremost begins with “you” saying “no”.

In my experience, elite competitors acknowledge the need for close fights and always welcomes them. They are much more focused on what they could improve, and are much more realistic about their own shortcomings. They also know, that, at least to a certain limit, improving their competitors also has some side effects they themselves benefit from.

PS: @Balkan .. are you trying compare “stories about combat” … I mean .. really??? I could easily share some, but I can’t for the love of god see how it has any relevance!?

(edited by Poxxia.1547)

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

If you can’t handle trash talk over the internet, I suggest you log off, ask your mum to make you your lunch and get ready for school.

Oh and people who report for ‘’verbal abuse’’ please don’t ever go outside. It’s a very mean world out there. We wouldn’t want you getting hurt. There’s no /report function irl

You should be happy getting reported is the worst thing that could happen to you in-game. Go ahead and tell your co-worker or teammate to “go die in a fire” next time they make a mistake and you’ll see just how much worse real life consequences can be.

Wow we go from discussing trash talking on an online game to threatening co workers. Are you just unable to come up with a compelling/relevant argument, or is this the height of your intelligence.

Seriously, think about it for a second. Verbally abusing coworkers with death threats linked to trash talk on an online game. How can you remotely try and relate those in an argument.

U mad brah? Think about it for a second, online people are people too—you just have an easy get out of jail card cause they don’t know who you are in RL. But seriously, I think trash talking is just really immature. The only thing you could hope to get across is a small reality check if you were even right (which most aren’t). Otherwise, it’s just demoralizing and rude—let alone offensive. It’s always best to respect players for trying. The only time I even get mad are the people who just straight up leave and/or become idle. If you don’t want baddies in yo group, just don’t solo-q. Getting less mad and trash talking could save you some strands of hair.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in PvP

ArcTheFallen.7682

There is a fine line between trash talk and verbal abuse. It is possible to trash talk without verbally abusing the other player. EG: “You couldn’t tackle me in a phone booth” “I’m so fast you couldn’t see me with a telescope” etc.

So anyone that says trash talk and verbal abuse are one in the same, are people who don’t know how to trash talk without verbal-ling abusing others. Or they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and giving un expert opinions that have no factual information to them. Ignore these people and there comments. They are not the same. I could list names of every single person in this thread that has no idea what they are talking about but I wont I don’t care enough. Guys go learn something no excuse for ignorance in the digital age. That is trash talk I just trash talked you all without verbally abusing you.

However like I said there is a fine line Trash talk that goes to far then becomes verbal abuse. But the two are two different things in there purest form.

For example if I say to you wow your so bad ditch the zerker build. That is not verbal abuse that is trash talk. If i then continue to h arras you and start calling you names then it becomes verbal abuse. That is the fine line.

There is also a fine line between name calling and verbal abuse. Just calling someone a name one time is not verbal abuse. If u call someone a dodo head or something that is name calling. But if it continues to multiple names and becomes harassment that is verbal abuse.

verbal abuse typically involves harrasment and name calling. Trash talk doesnt necessary involve name calling or harassment therefore they are different.

Nah man, you throw a punch, or you beat someone up, that’s abuse. Doesn’t matter. How you would measure the intensity of an abuse, that’s a different story.

in PvP

Posted by: papaganoosh.7908

papaganoosh.7908

Profanity filter and block are your friends.

Personally I love getting trash talk directed at me. Just makes it all the sweeter when you destroy them.

If you think the most abhorrent verbal abuse doesn’t go on in RL sports or past times then you are sadly mistaken. Especially in sports. You try and throw someone off their game in any way you can to win.

in PvP

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

If you think the most abhorrent verbal abuse doesn’t go on in RL sports or past times then you are sadly mistaken. Especially in sports. You try and throw someone off their game in any way you can to win.

That’s just bad sportmanship, the same way as all the dramatical acting in football worthy of an Oscar.

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

When people start using homophobic, racist or sexist slurs. Because that’s not “trash” talk, it’s hate speech and it creates a hostile environment for many people who buy the game to have fun.

If people want to call others “bad”, “noob” and the like, whatever, just ignore it. I don’t do it because it’s silly/immature. If you beat somebody and they call you bad they are insulting themselves, which is an irony that flies right by some people.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

There is never a reason to trash talk, it’s always reportable.

If it happens in real sports that’s no reason to have it here.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

There is an ignore feature in the game for a reason. I am not saying there is no case where you should report somebody for verbal abuse but really you are better off just immediately ignoring jerks and not getting bent out of shape.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

If you can’t handle trash talk over the internet, I suggest you log off, ask your mum to make you your lunch and get ready for school.

Oh and people who report for ‘’verbal abuse’’ please don’t ever go outside. It’s a very mean world out there. We wouldn’t want you getting hurt. There’s no /report function irl

You should be happy getting reported is the worst thing that could happen to you in-game. Go ahead and tell your co-worker or teammate to “go die in a fire” next time they make a mistake and you’ll see just how much worse real life consequences can be.

What if some big scary man on the street in the U.S. (no clue about more poilitically correct countires with extensive speech codes) told you off hand to go die in a fire and thats all he did. Do you really think there would be some kind of recourse for that besides maybe you deciding you were going to tell him off or engage in physical confrontation or to just ignore it? Do you think a police officer would get involved? Or even playing a pick up game of basketball and you miss every shot and some guy says hey man you suck. I’m not condoning that kind of behavior but it is true that it is not always a pleasant world. If you haven’t experienced it good for you I’m glad. I could tell you tons of stories about rl stuff happening. The work place is a very limited example. Most times in rl if somebody says something to you offensive outside of anything but work the best thing to do 9 times out of 10 is to just ignore them because there is very little you can do about it. I think it applies just as much in game. Just ignore and move on.

(edited by Kwll.1468)

in PvP

ArcTheFallen.7682

What if some big scary man on the street in the U.S. (no clue about more poilitically correct countires with extensive speech codes) told you off hand to go die in a fire and thats all he did. Do you really think there would be some kind of recourse for that besides maybe you deciding you were going to tell him off or engage in physical confrontation or to just ignore it? Do you think a police officer would get involved? Or even playing a pick up game of basketball and you miss every shot and some guy says hey man you suck. I’m not condoning that kind of behavior but it is true that it is not always a pleasant world. If you haven’t experienced it good for you I’m glad. I could tell you tons of stories about rl stuff happening. The work place is a very limited example. Most times in rl if somebody says something to you offensive outside of anything but work the best thing to do 9 times out of 10 is to just ignore them because there is very little you can do about it. I think it applies just as much in game. Just ignore and move on.

I agree with you in that having self-control and ignoring is the best way to do things; however, reporting wouldn’t hurt. I don’t these cases are about a one-liner ‘you suck’—pretty sure they are about people who are over the top trying to insult you.

I can’t say I can think of an instance where someone would call you names or insult you in real-life without a stimulus; At least from my experience venturing in the real world; you don’t come across blantant trash talkers at all—unless you provoke them, but that’d be your own problem. Also, this situation is more related to you doing something with other people—not walking on the street bumping into sketchy guys who insult others. I like the basketball example used earlier. Let’s say you go to the gym and play pick-up basketball—your teams loses and one of the guys on the team say you are terrible, never play again nor come to these courts again—Yes, first thing is to ignore them, but if you see that guy again and again, and he calls other people out constantly; it’s best just to report him or tell the gym about the verbal abuse.

Playing online is different than real-life because not only do you have the anonymous factor, but you also have a small chance from running into the same guy again. So you can say what you want and get away with it due to both. I’d say first thing to do though is always respond first as maturely as you can to these types of insults, but if they continue, I don’t see why you can’t report them. Just as they can get away with trash talking, victims should be able to report—it’s a good in-game capability.

If you ever come across real-life experiences where someone threatening insults you though, yes, it’s better to ignore them to minimalize casualities. However, although a policeman won’t take your seriously if you 9yearold kid is insulting you. If someone grown up is verbally harassing you repeatedly, I believe good cops should respond to that. It’s super annoying that people nowadays don’t hold themselves accountable to what they say. #internethabits #smh

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Although i don’t play enough pvp to get trash talked, personally i would just report everything as a form of revenge and let anet sort out where they want to draw the line.

the same arguments people make to support trash talk can be flipped around:

the world is an awful and mean place. being reported and punished for minor actions happens all the time.

if you can’t handle being reported, you should just stop playing pvp if you can’t stop trash talking.

reporting is part of the game, people will keep doing it until anet tells them “don’t report stuff like this”.

so yeah, haven’t got enough balls to handle being reported? then don’t trash talk and go back to kiddie land where everyone is polite and nice. the risk of being reported and suspended adds excitement to the game :p

in PvP

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

Ahhhhh the internet, where everyone’s a tough guy.

I learned long ago, in a game far, far away, one lesson:

turn chat off.

in PvP

Posted by: Limulus.4380

Limulus.4380

Bullying, any form of verbal abuse should merit a temporary ban, something that makes them consider their bad behavior. Adding up as time goes on to a possible permanent ban. I joined PVP just 2-3 days ago and the verbal abuse is unreal. I can see why people quit.

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

trash talking is competitive in nature and you see it in real sports.

verbal abuse is just being a kitten about it.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Depends on context but since it isn’t necessary in any context, they should default to keeping the game PG and youth friendly.

Generally, is the insult to the game play or to the person?
If it ever involves race, gender, religion, creed, orientation, etc. etc. etc. then it goes immediately from trash to trashy (i.e. just ban them a few days to cool them off).
Same for being overtly sexual etc.

This is not a game for testosterone induced comments from people who simply need a real life friend.

If it is borderline, don’t type it! Simple.

in PvP

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

One thing I have always wondered is why do they not create a PG Chat channel where if you do start trash talking, they take more aggressive action. Then, when people simply migrate from the silliness of the trash chat, they need to behave. Or, you will have a lot of PGers who have no one to chat with. Either way, both sides win.

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

When does trash talk become “verbal abuse”?

never
verbal competition is a harsh business.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

When the kitten to word ratio exceeds 33%.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

The CS Team monitors in-game reports 24/7/365. If you report offensive language — truly offensive, not just something that irritates you — the team will investigate and take the appropriate action, often within minutes of your report.

Not every report results in action, because the agent looks at the big picture and considers our policies and sometimes what a player thinks is actionable is not exactly a breach of the RoC. However, for offensive name calling, you select the character, choose “verbal abuse” and the report is submitted immediately to CS.

(edited by Allie Murdock.8152)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

The CS Team monitors in-game reports 24/7/365. If you report offensive language — truly offensive, not just something that irritates you — the team will investigate and take the appropriate action, often within minutes of your report.

Not every report results in action, because the agent looks at the big picture and considers our policies and sometimes what a player thinks is actionable is not exactly a breach of the RoC. However, for offensive name calling, you select the character, choose “offensive chat” and the report is submitted immediately to CS.

Why are forum mods are 1000 times more strict than GMs or rather why are GMs not as strict? (i am not even extraggerating).. if i said same things i saw in game on forms, i would get instantly perma banned probably but i see people saying mad things in game and still playing

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

i have zero tolerance to abuse. yester i reported s’one on opposing team for calling his teammates garbage.

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

snip

the difference is that on a forum a string of characters is publicly viewable over an undefined time span also by people not interactive with the ToS (gw2 players, mostly) while the ingame communication is a singular event, stored only a short amount of time viewable to specific players and monitored nearly exclusively retrospectively on demand by a single individual anet employee or a small conglomerate of those.

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

When you’re playing in tournaments, people will be competitive. But the enemy player talking trash in that manner was unacceptable. You should have just reported him. I don’t know any decent players that call other players “garbage” when they win, that’s as low as you get on the sportsmanship ladder.

well in my opinion a decent player doesnt need to talk trash to be a bad sportsmann. its enough to refuse letting the loosing side get a couple points if the game is already decided. esp in mind, that u get nothing more if u win 500-0 or 500-499. the reward is always the same (regarding rankpoints, gold depends on time), but the loosing side getting stomped will sometimes not even get a reward for the time playing. thats why i let me always kill from enemies who have 0 points and its already clear who wins the game.

there are a couple of top players out there who are bad sportsmann and start to offend ppl with bad behaviour after they stomped the enemy as premade against pugs.

in PvP

Posted by: Kapina.9012

Kapina.9012

Not every report results in action, because the agent looks at the big picture and considers our policies and sometimes what a player thinks is actionable is not exactly a breach of the RoC. However, for offensive name calling, you select the character, choose “offensive chat” and the report is submitted immediately to CS.

I can’t find option for offensive chat from the list..Verbal abuse is the closest one I can find. I click the portrait/name from the chat window but I don’t get offensive chat option. Am I missing something? Not trying to report anything atm, but would be good to know how to report these kinds of situations correctly.

in PvP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why are forum mods are 1000 times more strict than GMs or rather why are GMs not as strict? (i am not even extraggerating).. if i said same things i saw in game on forms, i would get instantly perma banned probably but i see people saying mad things in game and still playing

1. People type stuff in chat, without thinking. But you have time to edit your forum contents (there’s even a preview button). In other words, they cut us slack for heat-of-the-moment actions.
  2. As noted above, the only people who can read in-game chat are online at that moment. Unless a post is removed (or edited), it will remain on the forums (and possibly cached on Google) for a long time.
  3. In both cases, forums and in game, ANet staff are more likely to take action if there is a report. People in game might not want to take time to file a report; people reading the forums probably have time to click on the report icon and follow-up.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Is there a specific number of reports necessary before a member will look at it? f.e. three people have to report the same sentence, when it occurs in a public map chat.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Vamexu.7650

Vamexu.7650

Hi Anet, just played a tpvp game. Two guys on our team both giving the whole team verbal abuse including swearing, comments about each team members mother, the list goes on (trolls). Also verbal abuse continued after the match in hit and run style – i.e. one would send a malicious comment then block me so that I could not reply. Just bringing it up on here so that my in-game report today doesn’t go unnoticed. Completely unacceptable behaviour, please take further action.

in PvP

Posted by: Vamexu.7650

Vamexu.7650

I have also taken screenshots if you would like them as evidence.

in PvP

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

As this thread is a 8 month old necro, we’re closing it. If you feel like you are experiencing in-game abuse, please report it. If you see it on the forums, please report it.