Which Profession Does the Most Ranged Damage?

in PvP

Posted by: Ganadorf.3460

Ganadorf.3460

And which do you guys find fun, and good in PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: DeathByCactus.3954

DeathByCactus.3954

Aoe or Single target damage? Which are you looking for?

in PvP

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

Engineer does the most DoT I’m pretty sure, now I’d say Thief is better at Bursts (or maybe Rifle Warrior) and Rangers at sustained.

in PvP

Posted by: StickAndMove.6419

StickAndMove.6419

They’re all similar from what I can tell. Ranger just may be a slight cut above the rest though. They’re solid in PvP too

in PvP

Posted by: Ganadorf.3460

Ganadorf.3460

Aoe or Single target damage? Which are you looking for?

Single target

in PvP

Posted by: VicSkimmr.3216

VicSkimmr.3216

I don’t know if it’s the highest per say, but you’d have fun with a rifle warrior for ranged single target dps

in PvP

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Engineer has the most options.

You have a Mortar as an elite you can drop for anyone to use, you have Grenades that can spec for over 1200m, you have a flame thrower which is short to medium, you have pistols and rifles which are medium to long range, and you have bombs you can drop behind you has you retreat.

Due to the diversity in range options, I would say the Engineer is superior in damage because you can chose which type of range you want at any time.

in PvP

Posted by: baldsh.3896

baldsh.3896

You have a Mortar as an elite you can drop for anyone to use, you have Grenades that can spec for over 1200m, you have a flame thrower which is short to medium, you have pistols and rifles which are medium to long range, and you have bombs you can drop behind you has you retreat.

Due to the diversity in range options, I would say the Engineer is superior in damage because you can chose which type of range you want at any time.

This is only kind of true as you have to choose these options before the battle, many are based off of spec and which skills you choose, also you need to remember that while you can switch to a kit as an engineer you cannot switch weapons during combat. So while diversity is technically there, you have to decide before the battle.

in PvP

Posted by: Gentso.1852

Gentso.1852

From what I’ve seen it has to be ranger. I play an engineer, and we have to press three buttons to equal the same burst from a ranger pressing one button. Our best burst is rifle with the static charge from tool belt.

in PvP

Posted by: wintermute.2047

wintermute.2047

Rifle warrior, for the burst. Most fun? Necro.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Rifle War Burst and Necro DoT.

Old thread. Dun dun dun

in PvP

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

An elementalist casting a meteor shower into a WvW zerg would likely deal the most damage when it comes to AoE bursting. :-)

Since you know, each meteor can hit up to 5 targets, instead of the spell as a whole.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in PvP

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

why is nobody saying mesmer? they’re miles above ranger.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in PvP

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This is exactly what I was thinking, Lasersword trumps Longbow any day.

in PvP

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

This x9001 best ranged burst of all the classes+insane survivability=gods of pvp

in PvP

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Single Target Ranged DPS….

Probably GS Mesmer with an honorable mention Rifle Warrior.

in PvP

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

If you throw wet noodles at someone, it does more damage than a glass cannon ranger with bows or axes. In all seriousness, I’d be betting on mesmer tho, fun to play and does pretty insane damage.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in PvP

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Well technically a sniper warrior build can deal a 9-11000 damage crit with it’s burst skill, currently the highest in the game. So warrior does win in burst damage, but that build only works to a certain finite point.

in PvP

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Well technically a sniper warrior build can deal a 9-11000 damage crit with it’s burst skill, currently the highest in the game. So warrior does win in burst damage, but that build only works to a certain finite point.

It works fairly well if utilized correctly. I mean that in the sense that anyone can run the build but in experienced and capable hands it can be pretty dang frighting, especially if you watch your buddy get 1 shot.

in PvP

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Engineer. Throw 3 Grenades which hits 5 people which critically hit for 1k+. Shrapnel Grenade hits for 1.2k+ and I see Grenade Barrage hitting for 1.6k each. Not to mention the constant stack on bleeds coming from the Grenades which can easily be kept above a stack of 10 and the Vulnerability offers a group wide damage increase which again, can be kept above 15+ easily.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

A good ranger with a LB.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

According to Anet tho Rangers are the masters of ranged combat.Its kinda true since Shortbow has a very good auto attack.Rangers cant burst but they can stick to a target with their pets and do some serious dmg over time.And imagine that it was nerfed a bit,combined with haste even more..Before this nerf was hell itself

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Single target rangeD? coudl well be rifle warriors. Though i dont know that its very viable man.

in PvP

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

For single-target, I’d say Thief, Elementalist, Warrior, and Mesmer are all pretty viable. For aoe and/or sustained I would suggest Engineer, Necromancer, or Elementalist (again), and perhaps Ranger.

Out of all the damaging classes, Elementalist, Mesmer, Engineer, and Thief have the highest learning curve—in my opinion—but if you play them well they’re very rewarding classses. Warrior, Necromancer, and Ranger are easier for beginners.

Guardians, while typically a support class, can deliver sustained damage in their own right. However, I don’t have enough experience with the class to make any suggestions.

Personally, I play Thief and I find it very fun. Some weapon sets are much more difficult to play than others, though.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

Engineer. Throw 3 Grenades which hits 5 people which critically hit for 1k+. Shrapnel Grenade hits for 1.2k+ and I see Grenade Barrage hitting for 1.6k each. Not to mention the constant stack on bleeds coming from the Grenades which can easily be kept above a stack of 10 and the Vulnerability offers a group wide damage increase which again, can be kept above 15+ easily.

I disagree. You won’t see 1k+ grenade 1s in full zerkers, you’ll see higher on shrapnel and lower on barrage. 10+ bleeds is an exaggeration and don’t mean much in a power build. Also, you make the assumption that it’s a wise idea to spam 1 on grenades, which it isn’t, and that you land all of your grenades, which is impossible, when you mention the vuln. I’m not sayin they aren’t one of the best, power nades probably is if you had a stationary target, but I just think you’re slightly overplaying it. Also, power engis feel more like thieves sometimes with their number of hard hitting melee attacks via rifle.

Overall, given that you’re left alone to do your thing, I’d say that thieves do the most ranged damage with shortbow. Trick shot and cluster bomb hit like a kittenin truck, that poison field is massive and underutilized and the multi-hit attacks make opportunist proc like mad ho from a large range.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Yeah I agree with Ostricheggs,

Engineer only real source of range damage is Grenade. And it will hit like a truck only if the target is stationnary or close range. I’m not sure it’s the ideal.

For any other situation, GS mesmer, bow thief, necro, warrior are better option. Even Ranger can be better option.

P/P Engineer got a weak auto attack, and static shot. Poison dart will miss half the shots from range. Rest is close range.

Rifle only range attack is the auto attack.

Bomb/Flamethrower/toolkit are all melee range. Elixir Gun is weak for damage.

I’m going for ether Mesmer or Thief. And they can both kite really well.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

Mantra mesmer all the way— honestly.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

A ranger with a jaguar spamming crossfire will do more damage than a Shortbow thief single-target. Crossfire hits nearly twice in a second, and puts up 2 bleeds in that same time.But first you have to find a Ranger with a jaguar and somehow make that viable in a bezerker set.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

You could probably get some pretty decent single target/aoe damage out of a mesmer..

Specced phantasms to perch, Glass cannon.

Warlock Chaos storm > Berserker Spam greatsword attacks…
PRETTY USELESS if you pull him down though… would have to blink/portal back up.

Talk about most boring class to play :/ just sit and pew pew.

Necro Ranged wells anybody? :/ 3 wells, Staff, Ranged Root.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

(edited by Darnis.4056)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

with a beast mastery / precision LB ranger i can get some freakishly huge burst
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Fo-F-0;0F-u-r2gDV-0;9V8b;19T;0T0;0069;406B6 kitten 1F-03F-035BZ
open with casting Rampage as One+barrage while sending in your kitty, then pop quickness, “sick em!” and rapid fire, pewpewpew!
you could always replace the runes with something like Scholar, but i like the crit from the 100 precision.

edit: link wont work because Anet in their infinite wisdom decided to part of the link (-|V|4|6|; without the |) was offensive and should be replaced with “kitten”…
what idiot coded the filter!?…

(edited by Liewec.2896)

in PvP

Rusc.4978

with a beast mastery / precision LB ranger i can get some freakishly huge burst
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Fo-F-0;0F-u-r2gDV-0;9V8b;19T;0T0;0069;406B6 kitten 1F-03F-035BZ
open with casting Rampage as One+barrage while sending in your kitty, then pop quickness, “sick em!” and rapid fire, pewpewpew!
you could always replace the runes with something like Scholar, but i like the crit from the 100 precision.

I keep getting “Bad Link” with all of the intothemists builds. Maybe repost with a different build editor?

Prosper

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

You have to copy & paste the link into your address bar.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

You cannot be serious.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in PvP

Rusc.4978

You have to copy & paste the link into your address bar.

Thank you!

Prosper

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

I play phantasm Mesmer most of the time now and pound for pound, a shortbow ranger will drop me quicker then I can drop him. Depending on utilities of course, but I run arcane thievery, null field and decoy so not many escape options.

With a bit of burst from me in a hidden position, boon steal and pistol stun, I can get him down if he doesn’t expect it.

Moa for a sure kill.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

The 100 nades engineer does the most dps in the game, with over 25k burst if rotation is landed properly. I had the chance to sit down with the creator of this build and do a guide video if you’re interested in checking it out just click here.

Neglekt

(edited by Zodian.6597)

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

The 100 nades engineer does the most dps in the game, with over 25k burst if rotation is landed properly. I had the chance to sit down with the creator of this build and do a guide video if you’re interested in checking it out just click here.

Why suggest a build that they just announced they’re nerfing?

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Shortbow on Rangers spamming Auto-1 and I was like:

“RANGER! IT HURTS!

ISTAHP!

PLEASE!

ISTAHP!"

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Mesmer Lazerbeam build is going to be ridiculous next patch. not surprised if new build is like

GS/Scepter Focus(*pistol)
Berserker+Scholar/Eagle/Air(Maybe even thief if beside)
(Decoy_Blink_Portal_Timewarp)

How2Play,
Get on the ledge at keep pew pew
Get on the ledge at GY pew pew
Get on the ledge at Orb pew pew
Get on the ledge at Gate pew pew

IF you are ever unable to Pew pew, Blink back to where you were pew pewing.
IF your blink is down, portal back up to your ledge, commence pew pew.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Uhm the topic was about doing ranged damage. 100nades burst is closer than melee range. And it is going to get nerfed again in the next patch. 1200-1500 ranged grenade kit spike is only possible against targets who stand still or using e.g. supply crate for area stun + net turret (180 s cooldown!) + grenade barrage + freeze grenade etc. Such 1200 range spike would be in the ball park of about 8k, far from 25k. And this assumes the enemy doesn’t dodge it in the 1st place and doesn’t have a stunbreak. The grenades travel so slowly that if you cannot dodge them from 1200 range, you will have huge trouble in the game anycase.

And if you talk only about dps are you sure that 100nades does more dps than e.g. a warrior?

According my personal experiences and playing all 8 professions, engineers are indeed versatile and can do okay in melee to long range damage and AoE damage, good support and certain engineer builds have okay survivability. Yet they are not the best in any of those. Engineer autoattack (attack #1) should be slightly buffed for all weapons and kits to make them to the same level with other professions. The kit refinement damage can be nerfed to reduce the burst and problem solved. You have to take into consideration that many engineer attacks e.g. elixir gun #2 (elixir F) and grenades at >900 range are very easy to dodge (you don’t need to even use your dodge button, just move from your current position).

If the realistic real life damage output from engineers would be as great as the game designers and some people here in the forums claim to be, then more people would actually be playing an engineer.

A game should not be balanced based on what 1-2 top guys in the world can pull off or testing the weapons and skills against stationary test dummies or hero NPCs in the Heart of Mists. Currently we have a very “interesting” situation. The rarest profession in the game gets mildly nerfed patch after patch. What a “great” way to bring more versatility and “balance” to the game!

I would not be surprised if the next patch will buff greatsword for both warriors, guardians and mesmers, because it is already the most popular weapon for those professions. Of course the most popular choices need buffing and the least popular choices need nerfing <— sarcasm

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in PvP

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Why suggest a build that they just announced they’re nerfing?

Knowing ArenaNet, it’ll be a superficial nerf in about 4 months.

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Mesmer gs and rifle wars. Staff eles for wvw zergs. Rangers are in the bottom 4 when it comes to ranged dps. Pathetic.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Mesmer gs and rifle wars. Staff eles for wvw zergs. Rangers are in the bottom 4 when it comes to ranged dps. Pathetic.

….. this has no bearing on spvp though.

Mesmers are often staff because of defense, gs mesmers are easy to kill. Staff eles virtually dont exist in spvp. Rifle warriors? Aka dead warriors.

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Best ranged damage? Engineer with static discharge build. Over 20k dmg in less than 2s without any quickness, might stacking preparation ect. And on long range.

100nades engi isnt ranged its opposit because you must be regulary inside of enemy model to do the trick.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in PvP

Posted by: sim.8903

sim.8903

I play phantasm Mesmer most of the time now and pound for pound, a shortbow ranger will drop me quicker then I can drop him. Depending on utilities of course, but I run arcane thievery, null field and decoy so not many escape options.

With a bit of burst from me in a hidden position, boon steal and pistol stun, I can get him down if he doesn’t expect it.

Moa for a sure kill.

There’s your problem. You need feedback to kill a ranger, though a smart one will just dodge out of it. If you time it right, it can be pretty successful. At the very least, it’ll buy you time to throw out a phantasm and get close for sword 2.

(edited by sim.8903)

in PvP

Posted by: sim.8903

sim.8903

….. this has no bearing on spvp though.

Mesmers are often staff because of defense, gs mesmers are easy to kill. Staff eles virtually dont exist in spvp. Rifle warriors? Aka dead warriors.

My mesmer is GS/sword+pistol and I rarely ever lose 1v1 (only to thieves with their stealth). My mesmer isn’t glass cannon though. IMO, staff sucks for mesmer unless you’re doing condition (which really isn’t good anyway in spvp)