Why the current match making isn't fun

in PvP

Posted by: yujo.3821

yujo.3821

So, I started this season with my hope up of a better match making and quickly (1 week) reached ruby while playing some close and exciting matches. Played until Tier 5 and then had to take a break because work and other things in my life demanded my attention.
I came back and pvp has become frustrating.

I will only do dailies now because if this is to be my PvP soloQ experience it’s just ridiculous. Win Loss Win Loss and you can clearly see that there are no close games anymore.
Seriously ANET? This is your idea of balance? Please let me bet gems on the outcome of the next match. ^^

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

NO MM atm is really bad , i stoped a few weeks ago i did fractals and www and also some of the new pve maps.
i started again today to play pvp .
im legendary so i join unranked , cause i dont want div 5 coming to the forum crying that legendaries are not trying hard enough to win.
first game i got 2 thievs in my team vs no thievs in the other team , i said ok np lets try anyway, but one of the thieves had less then 20 pvp games ofc he was perma down and dying far 1 vs 1, ok we lost np .
next game i got again the same thief , i played again and we lost badly again , the thief actually apologise saying hes only 15 pvp games , ok np lets play , we lost badly again.
next game i got him again and again we lost , on the 4th game he was vs me and he lost 500- 70.
Then 5th game i got him again , i can say i loss all the motivation to play like u can imagine , if im 1vs 2 and the thief hes dying over and over , its upseting , then on the 6th game i got him again .
So i lost 5 out of 6 games because anet cant fix this macth making.
IM not blaming the thief , im blaming this MM, i cant believe that in 6 games anet couldnt find a better player .
Why is class staking so common ?
why anet puts players with so big skill gap in the same team or vs them?

i would like to say to anet that i will not be playing 4th season , this is no fun to any one, games end 500- 50 way to often, no balance , long ques , players with 0 clue in the team really anoys me , because i know that i will get them for the next 4-6 games .
how can players not afk ?
Game is already decided before even begins.
This leagues really need to change .

NO SOLO PLAYERS VS PREMADES ( GIVE US A SOLO QUE)

NO CLASS STAKING

NO RERROLS ( TO ALOW ANET TO PUT DIFERENT CLASSES IN TEH GAME)

BALANCE GAMES ( DONT MAKE A TEAM FAVORIT TO WIN BY THAT MUCH (500- 50 ITS REALLY NO FUN TO ANY ONE)

GIVE US SKILL TEMPLATES

LET US QUE OUTSIDE HOTM

DONT PUT PLAYERS WITH 10 PVP GAMES WITH SOME ONE WITH 25 000 PVP GAMES.

(edited by Prince Vingador.8067)

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

NO MM atm is really bad , i stoped a few weeks ago i did fractals and www and also some of the new pve maps.
i started again today to play pvp .
im legendary so i join unranked , cause i dont want div 5 coming to the forum crying that legendaries are not trying hard enough to win.
first game i got 2 thievs in my team vs no thievs in the other team , i said ok np lets try anyway, but one of the thieves had less then 20 pvp games ofc he was perma down and dying far 1 vs 1, ok we lost np .
next game i got again the same thief , i played again and we lost badly again , the thief actually apologise saying hes only 15 pvp games , ok np lets play , we lost badly again.
next game i got him again and again we lost , on the 4th game he was vs me and he lost 500- 70.
Then 5th game i got him again , i can say i loss all the motivation to play like u can imagine , if im 1vs 2 and the thief hes dying over and over , its upseting , then on the 6th game i got him again .
So i lost 5 out of 6 games because anet cant fix this macth making.
IM not blaming the thief , im blaming this MM, i cant believe that in 6 games anet couldnt find a better player .
Why is class staking so common ?
why anet puts players with so big skill gap in the same team or vs them?

i would like to say to anet that i will not be playing 4th season , this is no fun to any one, games end 500- 50 way to often, no balance , long ques , players with 0 clue in the team really anoys me , because i know that i will get them for the next 4-6 games .
how can players not afk ?
Game is already decided before even begins.

NO CLASS STAKING

BALANCE GAMES ( DONT MAKE A TEAM FAVORIT TO WIN BY THAT MUCH (500- 50 ITS REALLY NO FUN TO ANY ONE)

GIVE US SKILL TEMPLATES

LET US QUE OUTSIDE HOTM

+1 I completely agree.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

you should even out at a 50/50 win loss once you hit the spot where u belong.

Until you get to that point, you should be steadily climbing.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: kpeatop.9458

kpeatop.9458

The matchmaking has only one purpose – to find you place in the sPVP world. A lot of players think that they are good, but it seems that this is not the case.
The MMR will find your spot in the sPVP ladder and when you reach it you will score 1 win 1 loss. It gets even nastier when you want to complete your sPVP achievements.

As long as the developers are focused on this, no significant progress will be made.
I`ll try to put the focus on the things that are more important /at least to me/.

If I pick the last 10 games that I made:
probably only one ended in the reach of 450-500
probably only one game had a twist in point leadership
probably only one game was not determined after the first mid cap fight

The last thing bugs me the most if I want to be honest.
Almost every game starts with a 1-4 split, and the first mid cap fight shows who has better arguments to win the match. This leaves me with 4-5 minutes asking myself, why are we still fighting if we already know who will win the game.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

In theory it sounds nice and fair that u will reach your place and u will get a 50 /50 win chance.
But thats not whats happening, i feel there is always a big gap in each team , i mean there is even a huge gap in the same team players, the population must be really small, because something is really wrong, i understand we should get a bad game now and then , but the problem is that its game after game, and i mean with me beeing on the winning team (some times i get like 20 wins in a row, an dsomething like 10 losses or so and there is nothing that could be done to win such games).
It feels like a lottary, if the game wants u to win u will win, i mean i won game 4vs 5 even , so if we won 4vs 5 , imagine if it was 5vs 5 .
There is no point for me to show u a 50 picture slide , with the last 50 games , because there is no explanation for such team comps and results.
Atm the players having fun in pvp are the minority, all i see its complains, and most of them are right, MM is a mess, there is 0 fun in pvp .

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

People keep repeating this like a mantra, but so far this isn’t what is actually happening. Besides, it’s not even the main problem. The blowouts and imbalanced matches are.

The matchmaking has only one purpose – to find you place in the sPVP world. A lot of players think that they are good, but it seems that this is not the case.
The MMR will find your spot in the sPVP ladder and when you reach it you will score 1 win 1 loss. It gets even nastier when you want to complete your sPVP achievements.

Actually, not true. The matchmaking system has several different purposes, which work against each other.

1. It tries to find a correct place for you in league divisions.
1b It tries doing that assuming that when you end up at a correct level, you will hit 50/50 win chance, due to your matches being finally balanced.
2. It tries to assign to you a proper MMR, to sort you out on a different (skill-based), hidden ranking.
2b. To assign a proper MMR, the system used assumes that all your matches are relatively balanced. Always, not just at a correct division.
3. It tries to push the better players up as fast as possible.
3b. To do that, it intentionally creates imbalanced matches.
4. It tries to create a system where new players can also advance, in order to keep them interested.
5 It creates a grind-based glorified reward track, to bring in players interested in shinies (legendary backpack).

As you can see, those points do not work well together. Especially compare 1b, 2b and 3b.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Wrong that is not how MMR works. The more you win the worse team mates your are given to balance the Team MMR It in reality is trying to force you to have a 50/50 win-rate regardless of your division. The only advantage you have is having a whole team that is above your division to beat this kind system. otherwise the more you lose the better players you are paired with. The more you win the worse players you are pared with. Fortunately there is one good thing. The players are relatively close to your division so you aren’t pairing legendaries with sapphire.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

Wrong that is not how MMR works. The more you win the worse team mates your are given to balance the Team MMR It in reality is trying to force you to have a 50/50 win-rate regardless of your division. The only advantage you have is having a whole team that is above your division to beat this kind system. otherwise the more you lose the better players you are paired with. The more you win the worse players you are pared with. Fortunately there is one good thing. The players are relatively close to your division so you aren’t pairing legendaries with sapphire.

thast not true.

according to anet the game finds 10 players , then it puts the best 5 in 1 team.
so if u keep winning , u will b ein the team with the best players.

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

thast not true.

according to anet the game finds 10 players , then it puts the best 5 in 1 team.

I thought they changed that but I could be wrong. In anycase, if this is true then how do they find the best 5? score? or win/loss. Because if it is win/loss teams would never ever mix up and people would be losing just because their stuck on the losing team. Its just a hunch but I’m pretty sure their not doing that since the mmr system got implemented.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

thast not true.

I thought they changed that but I could be wrong. In anycase, if this is true then how do they find the best 5? score? or win/loss. Because if it is win/loss teams would never ever mix up and people would be losing just because their stuck on the losing team. Its just a hunch but I’m pretty sure their not doing that since the mmr system got implemented.

they find , according to anet by MMR and your oponents with a 15 pip range

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

http://img.pichoster.eu/5a4cc625gw029.jpg
http://img.pichoster.eu/782c423bgw030.jpg

I think the current matchmaking is good. Blowouts are at a reasonable rate, I still get weirdly bad players on my teams… but at least now the enemy team isnt THAT much better so that I can slowly carry to legendary.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

im just in a game with 2 thieves again on my team ofc , game starts they all skipped close , they insta died at team fight and warrior went chief we have no caps and the score is 350- 90 .
great game .

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

game just ended 500 -113 .
gg i guess

in PvP

Posted by: phantom.8426

phantom.8426

Same situation, keep getting paired with same bad players, who ever thought that putting bad players together versus good players is fair? I’m not a pro player but good some people in ruby shouldn’t have passed tier 1…

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

again game starts 4 thieves in my team vs a well balance comp for them, we were all solo .
why does anet put 4 thieves in 1 team and one in the other? or even 0 in the other?
i really dont get it.
ofc players are gonna rage, this is pathetic , we r lost from start already ,we lost 500- 200 and there is nothing we could have done.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

come on anet really? REALLY?
had a game just now my team all solo players , their team a 4 men premade .
game starts the 2 thieves i had on my team double capped home.
anet pliz tell , how is this not enough reason to afk and stop pvp , do u really think this i sfun?
game after game with this crap?
u think your MM is working ok?

in PvP

TheBlackLeech.9360

again game starts 4 thieves in my team vs a well balance comp for them, we were all solo .
why does anet put 4 thieves in 1 team and one in the other? or even 0 in the other?
i really dont get it.
ofc players are gonna rage, this is pathetic , we r lost from start already ,we lost 500- 200 and there is nothing we could have done.

Guess what? You are being ranked with the players who don’t reroll at the start of a match….. because you are one of the players who doesn’t reroll at the start of a match….
Surprise?

If you ever find yourself on a team with multiples of the same class where nobody can reroll and you happen to be one of those people…. you are part of the same problem you’re complaining about.

Team comp is just as important as knowing how to play…. and if you don’t know to/have the ability to swap to something to help make your comp more ideal then you belong in the MMR gutter with the rest of the people like you.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

i really dont get it.

Guess what? You are being ranked with the players who don’t reroll at the start of a match….. because you are one of the players who doesn’t reroll at the start of a match….
Surprise?

If you ever find yourself on a team with multiples of the same class where nobody can reroll and you happen to be one of those people…. you are part of the same problem you’re complaining about.

Team comp is just as important as knowing how to play…. and if you don’t know to/have the ability to swap to something to help make your comp more ideal then you belong in the MMR gutter with the rest of the people like you.

MMR gutter? people like me?
dude i reach legend in teh first 3 weeks , im legendary already 1 month ago, i hav enps geting to legend, my problem is MM that is a mess, why anet doesnt put 2 thivs vs 2 thievs?
why premades vs solos?
why players double capp?
this is my problem , nothing else.

in PvP

TheBlackLeech.9360

i really dont get it.

Surprise?

MMR gutter? people like me?
dude i reach legend in teh first 3 weeks , im legendary already 1 month ago, i hav enps geting to legend, my problem is MM that is a mess, why anet doesnt put 2 thivs vs 2 thievs?
why premades vs solos?
why players double capp?
this is my problem , nothing else.

First off…
division =/= MMR

Second…
You need to be able to re-roll… period.

Nothing you can say will justify not being able to make your team comp ideal.

Even if you wanted matchmaking to balance based on professions, there are still support and dps builds that can be run.

What happens when your team gets an ele who is berzerker and the enemy team gets an ele thats support?

It makes literally no sense to balance teams this way, when people are given ample time to change builds and swap professions.

…and what? You are protesting the system or some kitten by not swapping?
“kitten the system, man!” “It shouldn’t be like this”
Well… it is.
lol you are doing nothing but putting yourself and your teammates at a disadvantage.

Learn to coordinate with your team and swap if necessary in order to make your team comp ideal, its a crucial aspect of team-based pvp.

There is literally no excuse except you are being lazy.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

Its not just the fact that the system stacks classes, its deeper then that, im talking about a system that puts solo players vs 4 men premades and duos vs 5 men premades, im talking about having on the same team players that insta die and double capp and die to svanir while others are wining 1vs 2.
Do u think MM is working ok?
This is why im giving feedback to anet, so they can understand this mess and fix it.
Because i really think in season 4 only players that didnt get the wings yet will be playing.
Ask yourself are you having fun in pvp?
Im not, and for that im here posting.
I used to play much more pvp, and now i barely play , and when i play i actually play unranked.
I play other classes , but not every one plays, and we shouldnt have to compensate game afted game for this bad MM.
Also not every one can play every class with the same skill.
So lets try to get anet to fix MM.

in PvP

TheBlackLeech.9360

Its not just the fact that the system stacks classes, its deeper then that, im talking about a system that puts solo players vs 4 men premades and duos vs 5 men premades, im talking about having on the same team players that insta die and double capp and die to svanir while others are wining 1vs 2.
This is why im giving feedback to anet, so they can understand this mess and fix it.
Because i really think in season 4 only players that didnt get the wings yet will be playing.
I used to play much more pvp, and now i barely play , and when i play i actually play unranked.
I play other classes , but not every one plays, and we shouldnt have to compensate game afted game for this bad MM.

I believe that premades and solo joins should be two different game types…. as it was when pvp first began in GW2.

…but dwindling population has caused anet to merge the two to make a more active player base…. and that is the system we have now.

I would much rather prefer a system similar to the Random and Team Arenas of the original Guild Wars title, where solo joins only face against solo joins…. they stay with the same team until they lose…. and continue doing so until they win a set number of matches together, (they have proven themselves to be competent enough both with player skill and composition), and they are set to face against premade teams.

You also bonded with the players on your team in solo join more, since you continued onto the next match with them. You learned their strengths and weaknesses.

In gw2 you are extremely unlikely to get placed on a team and have an instant connection with them, and after the match ends, win or lose, you are back in the lobby.

You also couldn’t join a premade arena with a party size less than the allowed maximum, and for this reason, solo joins weren’t even allowed at all in this system.

Gw1 had it right.
Gw2 had it wrong, and continues to get it wrong with every change an update brings.

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

I believe that premades and solo joins should be two different game types…. as it was when pvp first began in GW2.

…but dwindling population has caused anet to merge the two to make a more active player base…. and that is the system we have now.

I would much rather prefer a system similar to the Random and Team Arenas of the original Guild Wars title, where solo joins only face against solo joins…. they stay with the same team until they lose…. and continue doing so until they win a set number of matches together, (they have proven themselves to be competent enough both with player skill and composition), and they are set to face against premade teams.

You also bonded with the players on your team in solo join more, since you continued onto the next match with them. You learned their strengths and weaknesses.

In gw2 you are extremely unlikely to get placed on a team and have an instant connection with them, and after the match ends, win or lose, you are back in the lobby.

You also couldn’t join a premade arena with a party size less than the allowed maximum, and for this reason, solo joins weren’t even allowed at all in this system.

Gw1 had it right.
Gw2 had it wrong, and continues to get it wrong with every change an update brings.

On a side not my favorite GW1 moments were playing RA and winning so much that you end up in Team arenas. I just had a though that a random solo que where the player remains in the team they won with and gets fished into the next match would be fun. Furthermore, if they win 10 matches they end up against premades to be fair. This would give everyone the chance realistically to get their legendary back pieces in solo que but of-course would be way to easy for ranking up. Still miss the RA style game mode thought.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

(…)

First off, you are wrong.
Ive won a match with 3 DH, 1 Thief… it ended 500-9. The other team swapped to perfect teamcomp.
Ive won matches with 4 Thieves on Stronghold.
Ive won matches without tempest against perfect comps.

It is ALL about skill. It is about winning 1v1, winning teamfights, winning rotations.

I prefer a good thief over a bad tempest any day.

And about “belonging to the mmr gutter trash”… last season, players like you told me the exact same thing.
This season Im on a 20+ win streak only a few matches away from legendary which Ill probably reach before having played more than 100 matches.

Did I improve skillwise? Hell, no, my skill is pretty much already quite good after years of playing pvp.

Is the meta loving me? Nah, not really, my main got nerfed.

Maybe the matchmaker now loving me? Nope, still getting players that do stupid stuff, really bad premades, but at least no more double-home-cappers.

So what has changed? Its quite easy… now Im no longer constantly pitched against really good and organized players. Which makes carrying quite a lot easier. Some morons fighting 2v1 on enemy capped point? Doesnt matter, I can compensate. Someone running for far/lord at beginning of match? Still can win that teamfight on mid 3v4, its okay.

No more impossible-to-win matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Maybe you are playing too many classes. I honestly don’t think anyone can be really good playing more than 2 at the same time. I say that from my experience and others. Try playing only one class consistently for 2 months.

You might think you are an OK player now, at least good enough to climb until you try this. I may be wrong and it does nothing for you but i think it might be worth trying.

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

anet needs to fix this maxth making , its impossible for me atm not to rage in pvp , the skill lvl its …………… game starts i go close , mesmer double capps , when im starting to move i see a warrior coming , so i stayed , when the warrior arrived at our point OUR MESMER LEFT, i thought ok wtv.
2 minutes into the game we had no capps ,our thief said at start " im going far an di will win 1 vs 1 " he went far alright but then ran away he didnt get far we lose mid , our rev was of point fighting we were outnumber mid , i respawn to see mesmer looking at their warrior on our close , i thought he was waiting for some + 1 , when i made my way to close i could see our mesmer running away again from it, their warrior actually whisper me saying " your mesmer is pathetic hes just bad"
we lost badly that game , and i saw that mesmer was legendary .

Atm there is a big "wtv mentality in pvp " special if u reach legendary , or maybe he was just really really really bad.
anyway , pvp atm its crazy and its due to this lack of interest from the anet to try to fix core problems like the ones i said before.
Players r not trying to win games once they reach legendary, 0 comunication , o rewards, bad MM , its really crazy that we got to this point in pvp .
The game atm its just cursing in game and saying u are a scrub , u are bad , fo etc etc etc etc…..
And ofc i understand why , games are umplayable and after 2 minutes or so we know whos going to win cause there is no interest to try to get as much points as possible cause we lose by 1 or we lose by 400 no diference.
so game is 300- 100 no capps players just afk thast it , players reach legend they dont care anymore if there is some poor guy still trying to do his best to get that legend for the wings or wtv.

Again i want anet to understand that thi id because of the macth making nothing else.

Look at my sugestions abouve to try to fix MM .
And try to give some incentive for players to keep fighting untill the end AND keep playing after they reach legend .

in PvP

Posted by: TwistedTam.8310

TwistedTam.8310

this x10000000.why are players with 600 achievement points q’d up with players with 13-15k ap?obviously the guy has no idea what he’s doing.knowing how to play ur toon doesnt mean u understand pvp.and its unfair that ppl who have been playing for years need to explain the basics of what to and not to do in each match.especially when most of them argue with u/ignore u anyways cause they know better

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Matches are not fun when you have to play against a 4 ppl premade team with the highest of your opponents even one division above your pug highest. These frustasting matches end up with total blowouts. I just don’t get why anet implements bad match making on purpose. Highly uneven matchups don’t satisfy anybody.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Your favorite profession is mesmer but of all the 10 games in the screenshot, no mesmer was used. I dont know if people care or not (probably not) but play what you are good at.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in PvP

Yasi.9065

this x10000000.why are players with 600 achievement points q’d up with players with 13-15k ap?obviously the guy has no idea what he’s doing.knowing how to play ur toon doesnt mean u understand pvp.and its unfair that ppl who have been playing for years need to explain the basics of what to and not to do in each match.especially when most of them argue with u/ignore u anyways cause they know better

In my experience, the guy with 600 ap is good… the one with 13k+ ap is very bad.

Why?

Because PvE content doesnt make a good PvP player.

Also, and Im stressing this point… the amount of (un-)ranked matches doesnt say anything about skill. Ive seen enough players with < 200 (un-)ranked matches that are very good pvp players… and players with 5k+ matches playing with tunnelvision/doublecap mode on all the time.

The majority of players dont even know the role they are supposed to fill with their build. Or where to position themselves during fights. When to disengage. When to stay on point in a 1v1. When to leave point and recap later.

And thats not because they dont have enough experience in pve, pve doesnt teach these kind of things.

And its also not because they havent played enough (un-)ranked matches, because you can play thousands of matches and maintain a 40ish winrate without realizing, that dieing 20 times per match is NOT good.
As long as anet doesnt punish typical newbie mistakes like double capping one point, dieing too many times, fighting endlessly on enemy capped point, etc, in a very direct way… for example by adding negative score… the amount of played matches is in no way relevant.

And about multiclass… pick one profession, one build, that you learn to play perfectly in unranked. Not just okayish…. perfect.
Pick a second profession/build for a DIFFERENT ROLE than your main (if you main for example bruiser, go for a roamer or bunker). Learn to play it perfectly again.
Now you have 2 roles you can fill out of 3. And thats more than enough for soloqueue.

The worst mistake you can do… is trying to play a build/profession in ranked, just because of profession achievements or for perfect looking teamroster.

Stop doing that, pick one or two instead and stick to them… and you will quite easily break out of this win-loss-win-loss cycle.

in PvP

Posted by: neybor.1375

neybor.1375

in PvP

TheBlackLeech.9360

(…)

First off, you are wrong.
Ive won a match with 3 DH, 1 Thief… it ended 500-9. The other team swapped to perfect teamcomp.
Ive won matches with 4 Thieves on Stronghold.
Ive won matches without tempest against perfect comps.

It is ALL about skill. It is about winning 1v1, winning teamfights, winning rotations.

I prefer a good thief over a bad tempest any day.

And about “belonging to the mmr gutter trash”… last season, players like you told me the exact same thing.
This season Im on a 20+ win streak only a few matches away from legendary which Ill probably reach before having played more than 100 matches.

Did I improve skillwise? Hell, no, my skill is pretty much already quite good after years of playing pvp.

Is the meta loving me? Nah, not really, my main got nerfed.

Maybe the matchmaker now loving me? Nope, still getting players that do stupid stuff, really bad premades, but at least no more double-home-cappers.

So what has changed? Its quite easy… now Im no longer constantly pitched against really good and organized players. Which makes carrying quite a lot easier. Some morons fighting 2v1 on enemy capped point? Doesnt matter, I can compensate. Someone running for far/lord at beginning of match? Still can win that teamfight on mid 3v4, its okay.

No more impossible-to-win matches.

Getting outplayed is an entirely different ball game.

I’ve won matches with all necros, all guardians, all mesmers, all engis, etc.

That doesn’t mean anything in relation to what I said, nor does it discredit the fact that you should strive for an ideal team comp, nor does it mean anything at all.

In a perfect scenario, where skill would be equal, the team with the better comp will win.

Granted this will rarely happen…. but having an ideal comp (with players who know what they are doing and can play their builds well) will give you a serious advantage over any team profession stacked, non-optimal comp, or otherwise.

Simply because you have won matches with less than ideal comps doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter.

I’ve won matches 4 of 5…. does that mean you don’t need a 5th player?

I don’t think so.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

No, it means that you still can win without a 5th player.

Just as it means that you can still win without perfect team comp, as long as everybody can play their build/profession.

Which in turn means: skill > comp.

Because your chance to win with perfect comp, but clueless players is very low.

in PvP

TheBlackLeech.9360

No, it means that you still can win without a 5th player.

Just as it means that you can still win without perfect team comp, as long as everybody can play their build/profession.

Which in turn means: skill > comp.

Because your chance to win with perfect comp, but clueless players is very low.

Agreed.

…but players who do “have a clue” understand the importance of an ideal team comp.

Yes team comp will only carry you so far, and it will not take you as far as skill.
…but it does matter, and it is still very important.

To say it doesn’t matter is absurd.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

NO CLASS STAKING

GIVE US SKILL TEMPLATES

LET US QUE OUTSIDE HOTM

+1 to all points .. (We can soften class stacking for q times to allow double class in solo Q)

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

NO CLASS STAKING

GIVE US SKILL TEMPLATES

LET US QUE OUTSIDE HOTM

+1 to all points .. (We can soften class stacking for q times to allow double class in solo Q)

Holy kitten I’m just going to throw my two cents out here after looking at a boat load of these threads. I’ll have to say if I didn’t know any better it looks as if ANet is actively trying to sabotage their PvP game mode, so no one would want to play it. It’s pretty strange. Like why?

Does ANet just don’t have the funding to keep up with upkeep and just want to end it in this shameful way instead of being honest and talking to the community? Also VCS or (Quick hotkey Voice Chat System) would improve this game by leaps and bounds.

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

yujo.3821

People keep repeating this like a mantra, but so far this isn’t what is actually happening. Besides, it’s not even the main problem. The blowouts and imbalanced matches are.

Actually, not true. The matchmaking system has several different purposes, which work against each other.

1. It tries to find a correct place for you in league divisions.
1b It tries doing that assuming that when you end up at a correct level, you will hit 50/50 win chance, due to your matches being finally balanced.
2. It tries to assign to you a proper MMR, to sort you out on a different (skill-based), hidden ranking.
2b. To assign a proper MMR, the system used assumes that all your matches are relatively balanced. Always, not just at a correct division.
3. It tries to push the better players up as fast as possible.
3b. To do that, it intentionally creates imbalanced matches.
4. It tries to create a system where new players can also advance, in order to keep them interested.
5 It creates a grind-based glorified reward track, to bring in players interested in shinies (legendary backpack).

As you can see, those points do not work well together. Especially compare 1b, 2b and 3b.

Absolutely correct. Anet has already stated how their algorithm works. But they try to do too many things. I think one of the biggest mistakes is to take Division ranking (which is only reliant on playing many games aka grinding e.g you can advance to Division 4 by simply playing games. Regardless of your skill you will evenatually progress due to safe spots) into account as a way to measure your “Skill?”.
They mix up achievement hunting with proficiency.
They want more people to play pvp and they want you to build teams to participate in the tournaments…at all cost.

You guys have already said it all. Thanks for your input.

in PvP

yujo.3821

Your favorite profession is mesmer but of all the 10 games in the screenshot, no mesmer was used. I dont know if people care or not (probably not) but play what you are good at.

HAHA nice try. Ever heard of multi classing?
Also mesmer only recently surpassed warrior as my favourite profession. I played War a lot back then… year one of gw2. Then I played ele, bunker guard. I adapt. I always switch classes to support the optimal team build for the current match up. ;-)

in PvP

yujo.3821

In my experience, the guy with 600 ap is good… the one with 13k+ ap is very bad.

Why?

Also, and Im stressing this point… the amount of (un-)ranked matches doesnt say anything about skill. Ive seen enough players with < 200 (un-)ranked matches that are very good pvp players… and players with 5k+ matches playing with tunnelvision/doublecap mode on all the time.

The majority of players dont even know the role they are supposed to fill with their build. Or where to position themselves during fights. When to disengage. When to stay on point in a 1v1. When to leave point and recap later.

And thats not because they dont have enough experience in pve, pve doesnt teach these kind of things.

And its also not because they havent played enough (un-)ranked matches, because you can play thousands of matches and maintain a 40ish winrate without realizing, that dieing 20 times per match is NOT good.
As long as anet doesnt punish typical newbie mistakes like double capping one point, dieing too many times, fighting endlessly on enemy capped point, etc, in a very direct way… for example by adding negative score… the amount of played matches is in no way relevant.

And about multiclass… pick one profession, one build, that you learn to play perfectly in unranked. Not just okayish…. perfect.
Pick a second profession/build for a DIFFERENT ROLE than your main (if you main for example bruiser, go for a roamer or bunker). Learn to play it perfectly again.
Now you have 2 roles you can fill out of 3. And thats more than enough for soloqueue.

The worst mistake you can do… is trying to play a build/profession in ranked, just because of profession achievements or for perfect looking teamroster.

Stop doing that, pick one or two instead and stick to them… and you will quite easily break out of this win-loss-win-loss cycle.

Already broke out of it. This was just an example of what happens from time to time. There is nothing you can do when the game forces its 50 50 ration on you. ;-)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Except, with the long loss and win streaks, ( one reported 44 straight wins, I personally suffered through 38 straight losses, ) the game isn’t forcing any 50/50 ratio on anyone.

Perhaps, it’s the player involved.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ANET has failed at matchmaking 3 seasons in a row. You really expect something different in season 4? I’ll give you a preview of the matchmaking update: “We were generally happy with matchmaking in S3. We’ve made minor tweaks and reduced the PIP range from 15 to 13.”

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

@style

Sadly, I think you are probably right.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

@style

Sadly, I think you are probably right.

Yup he is watch. But I’m trying to throw around another ideal around on these fourms. Goto this thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Q-Time-and-MMR-Problem-Solutions/first#post6233403 and it’s my first response on that thread.

I think that will actually help out enoth to be meanful, if ANet is just not going to budge on their MMS.

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

Posted by: jyaim.3702

jyaim.3702

quite some truths said here…

and yeah, the fun out of pvp is within close and interesting games (wording corrected since someone pointed out it was not at its best, and forgot the content of the msg…), which implies the game
A : does move a bit (not a 1st phase, their ele stood 3 mins on mid : 2nd phase, he got wiped and his team never could contest it again to the eng for 4 mins….), game remains dynamic,
B : game allows some different and interacting gameplays (spiker classes got nearly all erased, guard mesmer and revnant barely survive as real spikers provided they go zerker…),
C : game sets up ppl with similar levels against each others…
D : renewal content

A : the bunker trend nearly replaced the celestial trend of last year. I won’t push saying it is cancer or must disappear, but it anyway puts a huge shadow on other gameplays. To me that is the result of some ‘absolute like’ skills as the SF and protector spirit that anet chased and tuned several times on gw1. (blocking 100% of 50k spikes for 3 seconds is sort of absolute, especially if you can chain it 6 times every 30 seconds…. being invincible as war without being uncapped is sort of unfair too !!! and there are various other cases like that)
=> add a limit to the number of blocks (same for reflects ?) of every skills, might it be 10 or 20 or even 30, but something // limit carefully the duration of every invincible effect // make sure no class can refill its full hp 3 times in the same 5 seconds of fight….

B : in 5v5, there are some roles per class, and the interest of team vs team is teamplay (or create a free for all arena with no objective match, or create a full single player pug list but this second option would screw queue time). so balancing the classes inside imports.
=> taking into account the amulets and statistics used could be key. so that if you put 2 clerics, 1 berserker and 1 viper players in a game, you do not set the 2 clerics together ^^’ (this would go with the no relog suggestion made above which I btw approve in such a case (while atm, it s sometimes mandatory to relog in order to correct team misabalances) and this would also go with a class stacking limitation (at least a limitation at 2 classes per team, plz)). Such a system would ensure a first part of teambalancing I believe.

C : Level matching is obviously complicated, but anet is not first at making it… In any discipline, your level raises when you win vs stronger, and lowers when you loose vs weaker. And this makes you encounter more stronger ppl and more weaker ppl… Good. Then what about your allies ? Well, the same truth should apply to them… Good… Then why the * could there be a relationship in any sort between the people of a same team ? That part is just non sense. The level attributed to one person is an estimation that should move by itself, and not something that you estimate fitting to another estimation… because this is just pure nonsense…
If the numbers I give are levels, what would you prefer between : 1440 1450 1460 Versus 1540 1550 1560 … OR … 1440 1540 1550 Versus 1450 1460 1560 ???? First solution is ‘normally’ a no game, while second version may be a challenge to the guy at 1560, but it’s not as if he would see is ranking being lowered too much in case of his loss…
So yeah, of course, with this, some people may be challenged at some games more, some people people may try to carry some friends, and unfair team premade would imply to interpret in another way the low ranks of the premade… but, hello world : that’s real life !
And what about the divisions ranking ? Well, to me it looks mostly like a fun artefact around the main system, and should not have much of an impact on pvp and fun of pvp… To prevent ppl blocked because at their top lvl, effort versus stronger should be recognized as well, as effort as the strong one making the weakers one evolve.
=> Anyway please, stop reinventing the wheel : go back to standards way of ranking people…

D : pvp content did not evolve much, and stronghold mode came in… but that did not fill pvp players will…
Stronghold mode is nothing forced, and a bit different to conventional pvp, so.. why not… some ppl seem to like it so ok… However, this created other queues and did not really add anything to the pvp play mode since it’s more a dota-pvp play mode.
So let’s focus back to pvp mode : I heard many suggestions of simple evolutions to enlarge pvp options on pvp play mode :
=> diversity of objectives : why could foefire not have beasts and nifhlel lords ? in a random manner ??.
=> various teamming modes : teamplay is different with unknown and known players. the 5v5 experience is different enough to 1+2+1+1 vs 3+1+1 experience.. why not having a ranked teammatching and ranked random matching (as it is atm ?) ? this would most likely not impact much queues considering how this is taken into account in current mm… I also mentioned briefly a free for all possibility but this may impact the queing system so that’s probably not a great option, but…maybe ?
=> why only 5v5 modes ? that would ofc require more work but some 10v10 fun (that would be more for fun and less ‘official’) would be welcome, even if not as well balanced and followed, and even on some pve existing maps. (why not the ascalonian fractal level as pvp 10vs10 for instance ?)
=> another point, even though this one probably represents way more job… new maps ? that would be some graal

Ok, I am done with this long talk, good luck with it, may it be of any use.

(edited by jyaim.3702)

in PvP

Posted by: TwistedTam.8310

TwistedTam.8310

Why?

Already broke out of it. This was just an example of what happens from time to time. There is nothing you can do when the game forces its 50 50 ration on you. ;-)

yujo.that makes no sense.yes people who pve more than pvp are obviously going to excel more in pve if they are soley pve players.but 13k ap isn even a High example.the people who play more pve have around 25-30k ap.13k ap is like passive ap from playing the game for the last 3 years.nobody started pvp from launch and sat in pvp till today.u spend time in wvw and u accumulate points aswell.and no.i really dont believe the guy with 600 ap is going to do better than the guy with 13k.gws2 has been on sale after sale after sale since last year jan.not to mention the hot release that brought in another flood of new players.these arent guys who have been pvping hardcore since release.these are guys who started playing a month ago and think pvp is as straightforward as kill guys and dont die.then when u try to explain to them things like dont chase that thief around map for 5 mins he cant understand why.a kill isa kill right?i dont care that there are new players i just dont want to be grouped with them in the higher tiers.theres no communication or coordination.pugging ranked has become unbearable and if i waited for my friends to always be online to play id only ever get to play once a day.i dont think its unreasonable to keep players bundled together based on ap.and to those who do think itd make no difference then whats the harm?new dudes get to learn together.old dudes get to die to other old dudes.cersei wins and everyones happy.

(edited by TwistedTam.8310)

in PvP

Yasi.9065

(…) nobody started pvp from launch and sat in pvp till today (…)

You are quite wrong there. Most die-hard pvpers I know only touch pve for express purposes (farming raids for legendary armor for example)… and they dont linger over unnecessary achievements there.

So, most pvpers have around 4-9k ap.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

(…) the fun out of pvp is within close and contested games,(…)

What defines a close and contested game?

Close score all the time?

http://img.pichoster.eu/00274481gw031.jpg

You’d think that was the perfect example of a nicely balanced match.

But let me tell you something…. I was the warrior and it wasnt… it was horrible… That guy with 20 score? He was dieing like 30 times at least. The rest? Not too far behind.

Those 200 score? Mostly kills in 2v1 situations… me being alone against 2.. while defending close, capping mid, defending mid etc

So no, close matches arent fun if you are the one that has to do all the work to keep it close…

Fun is, when everybody does his/her job and doesnt die all the time. Idc if its a close match or not. As long as everybody knows how to rotate, how to not die…. thats fun then.

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

Feeders going unpunished and allowed to troll PvPers, Ranked match after Ranked match after Ranked match.

Tell me what you think in this thread. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Feeders-in-Ranked-PvP-huge-problem/first#post6234867

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

One match after another thrown into matches against premade teams of 3 or 4 as solo player. And one match aftert another its a lost match. This unfair matchups aren’t fun. Knowing that your sh… system keeps this until 50% winrate is reached makes it even worse.

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

As said above:

- solo queue should never meet groups, not even groups of two
- MMR has to be full reset every season. Let the few players on top whine about it. The majority will want those resets – so don’t cater the 1% of the playerbase, but the 99%. They still can have their esports going
- start with the losing tiers in Emerald and start with losing divisions in Sapphire
- rework the mmr system to fair teams, not good vs bad team. It worked before seasons started. I almost never had full blowout matches before season 2. pvp was much more enjoyable then

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.