Wow, thief is quite easy to play

in PvP

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

A brief lookover of my post history would reveal that i am an avid warrior player, its all i’ve been playing in this game. My warrior and all his builds, from all in rifle burst, to dull shoutbow- even duel mace.

I was astonished when i played thief for the first time today with d/p.

First off it took a bit of getting used to not having weapon cool-downs. It was awesome. I could just sit there and spam heartseeker as if its an i-win button, my only counter being endure pain skills.

I didn’t really worry about the bow too much, it seems like a weak weapon but the mobility of it is INSANE- endless supply of blink? Thank you very much!

My invisibility skills felt like cheating. Heck- the moment i felt threatened id just throw down a shadow refuge and it was amazing how many people would give up looking for me.

TBH the damage output here is what i’ve been trying to push out of warrior for some time now- rifle burst pushing the limits but being insanely unreliable. But this? This is crazy, i feel like i just started playing a 1up profession. It’s my first day with it, and already i’m scoring top 3 on my team several games in a row.

Hard to play? Not really- i could work on some timings and cooldowns but tbh the overall survival mechanics and reliance of cooldowns on my warrior made that WAY harder than this profession.

in PvP

Posted by: Mister TaCo.8135

Mister TaCo.8135

your posts come off as pretty spammy. We get it, you think thieves are overpowered; that its a skillless class with a very little learning curve. Go cry for attention somewhere else ;D.

protip: keep doing unranked, low MMR queues, higher levels are definitely more punishing for thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: Vokajlaw.7089

Vokajlaw.7089

“I could just sit there and spam heartseeker as if its an i-win button”

Stopped reading there. Says everything about your average opponents and yourself necessary to judge your reliability on that matter.

Nekrokolov – Worst Necromancer EU (With a passion though!)

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Not gonna lie, I play most classes and I find Thief to be the hardest for me to play. Maybe it’s just not my preferred playstyle. I just can’t handle the squishiness.

in PvP

Invoker.5462

Stopped reading there. Says everything about your average opponents and yourself necessary to judge your reliability on that matter.

Average opponents? Well i guess “average” being a 53% winrate then sure. but yea as a warrior i never had an ability that i could just spam once i ran out of other options. Surprisingly, its not that hard to get people to %50 as theif, i don’t really know that backend of it all as i copied my entire build off of metabuilds

Sorry it’s hard to believe but, a warrior player just picked up the supposed “skill class” and owned it. Do i need to stream it for you?

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I know this is a kind of troll thread. The same guy making multiple threads to encourage QQ about thieves. But there is one pretty big fail which I want to jump on anyway.

the moment i felt threatened id just throw down a shadow refuge and it was amazing how many people would give up looking for me.

This is why “stealth OP!” “nerf stealth!” “stealth has no counter play!”

People don’t think. They are like babies who haven’t developed object permanence yet – the moment they see something vanish, they forget it exists! Then sometime later they reflect, “Oh, there was a thief that vanished. How over powered.”

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Invoker.5462

I know this is a kind of troll thread. The same guy making multiple threads to encourage QQ about thieves. But there is one pretty big fail which I want to jump on anyway.

the moment i felt threatened id just throw down a shadow refuge and it was amazing how many people would give up looking for me.

People don’t think. They are like babies who haven’t developed object permanence yet – the moment they see something vanish, they forget it exists! Then sometime later they reflect, “Oh, there was a thief that vanished. How over powered.”

Look, i don’t know how the pub mentality is formed, but we can all agree that after a while we realize what works and what doesn’t against the general population. So far whenever i pop stealth from healing or shadow refuge its like a second chance at life. The only thing thats been a real issue is ranger AOE. Other than that i’m usually peachy after i stealth.

in PvP

Impact.2780

You have to remember though that balance is aimed more toward higher levels of play than that where players ignore shadow refuge. By higher level, I mean potential-wise, not the devs saying "Hmm, Bob seems competent. Let’s balance around him."

in PvP

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Must be really low in the ranks to not have people search for you in shadow refuge. Day one of playing thief i had people using channeled skills, aoes, or knockbacks when i was in S R lol, taught me how to position in stealth and dodge knockbacks xD

in PvP

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Ok, you have your fun in hot join now.
Go que up for a change now

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Are you really serious?

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

Average opponents? Well i guess “average” being a 53% winrate then sure. but yea as a warrior i never had an ability that i could just spam once i ran out of other options. Surprisingly, its not that hard to get people to %50 as theif, i don’t really know that backend of it all as i copied my entire build off of metabuilds

Sorry it’s hard to believe but, a warrior player just picked up the supposed “skill class” and owned it. Do i need to stream it for you?

53% winrate is way worse than average for people that regularly pvp

also warrior vs thief is pretty much 50/50 when both people are decent, might be more favoured for warrior after the blinding powder and warrior steal spin nerfs. Also stealth means pretty much nothing to good players, it is really easy to control where people will go after they stealth (but that is a really long explanation and a lot of people dont understand)

in PvP

Posted by: BlackTruth.6813

BlackTruth.6813

I would say Ranger and Guardian are A LOT more aggravating to fight against as a veteran Warrior. Those two classes are WAAAY easier than Thief in everyway when talking about mechanics.

Thief would have been a lot more balanced if they got rid of the z-axis teleport.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009
Schwahrheit, #1 Fuhrer NA, Just your everyday typical rager

in PvP

Posted by: Wartitan.8639

Wartitan.8639

It’s really quite funny this guy claims Shadow Refuge ends all his misery if he is under threat… I agree this must be really low end PvP.

If I choose to Refuge, you can bet your kitten a warrior or guardian will walk into the stealth and AoE the crap out of me under stealth, forcing me to leave my protective circle or die.

Just another OP warrior claiming another class is OP to try divert the attention from his own classes easymode.

in PvP

Posted by: jim.5380

jim.5380

your replies guys gave me hope…
Man go back to hotjoin tbh and play with ur friends on 5man premade hotjoin that they are also ur focus group….
You can not comprehend balance and mechanics at the moment post back in a year if you understand that heartseeker is a useless skill unless 10 prerequisites are there

Jim Battlemaster

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

My invisibility skills felt like cheating. Heck- the moment i felt threatened id just throw down a shadow refuge and it was amazing how many people would give up looking for me.

I know what are you talking about! Still remember my first days as DPS guardian in hot join, when I was owning thieves before I even know the name of the class. For me they were the guys that put a house on their head when they’re about to die. I never tried to spot them, because with all honest I was thinking they’re teleporting back to their base this way. You know, “house”, “base”, I just gathered 2 and 2…

The night is dark and full of turnips.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I love playing against thiefs, but I’ve also learned to play as one, and there are very few that I have come across that have been great at their class.

Shadow refuge thrown down when you panic or take piles of damage without thinking of positioning will get you killed or knocked out of it really fast by any half decent player, who will have held back either an aoe or a knockback for when you hit the panic button.

Pretty sure you can’t cap while in stealth, so you popping SR is basically handing me the point.

Thief is easymode against low level zerk built pve’rs but against decent players it’s a real challenge, plus if you’re quite good at thief against a decent team they will focus you down real fast after the first pass.

Personal favourite is playing mes against a thief:-)

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in PvP

Posted by: The Cross Killer.2854

The Cross Killer.2854

It’s my first day with it, and already i’m scoring top 3 on my team several games in a row.

I think this has nothing to do with the class. You are just a BEAST multiclasser.

Guns N Tools – Red Team[Blue] – twitch.tv/gunsnfools

in PvP

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

Its funny to see all the thieves run to this thread and call this guy a troll.

Fact is the OP is spot on. Thieves are extremely easy to play effectively and do have a very low learning curve. If you want to really kitten face, make a s/d thief.

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Fact is the OP is spot on. Thieves are extremely easy to play effectively and do have a very low learning curve. If you want to really kitten face, make a s/d thief.

I can confirm this to be false…

I got about 3.5k games in total or something like that…
About 2700 are spread on Warrior, Necro and Ele
Played Guardian, Mesmer and Engineer all closely together, with the succes depending on the team (Especially with Mesmer)
Played under 100 matches with my Ranger, though getting a somewhat closer understanding to the class, and the same counts for Thief, of which I am currently trying to get better at…

It is freaking punishing to play and succeed at… You rely heavily on the peformance of your team to even do something… To an extend, you are capable of carrying out your job spotting people with low health, engage and kill – but what good does it do when the people who need to sustain a point are on their backs with no possible way to stop the AoE cleave from happening?

So here, have it – played an average amount of games, got a close understanding of the mechanics of Conquest and the maps – and it is not a faceroll if you face somewhat more compentent people rather than your average joe in Hotjoin with a traitspread of 4/2/4/2/2 (that’s what you actually see in Hotjoins mind you)

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

Low MMR play as a thief shows absolutely nothing about the way the class plays at a higher tier. 53% WR at low MMR is incredibly easy to get. I play at high MMR all day and regularly face premades and still have 60%+ WR mostly soloQing. That isn’t even on thief, most of my games since reset have been guardian/warrior/necro.

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

in PvP

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

You have to remember though that balance is aimed more toward higher levels of play than that where players ignore shadow refuge. By higher level, I mean potential-wise, not the devs saying “Hmm, Bob seems competent. Let’s balance around him.”

sure, then Anet needs to look like WHY necros, rangers and mesmers are not represented in the higher tiers. Certainly choosing thieves over the other 3 classes have something to do with it to fill the last spot, no?

in PvP

Impact.2780

You have to remember though that balance is aimed more toward higher levels of play than that where players ignore shadow refuge. By higher level, I mean potential-wise, not the devs saying “Hmm, Bob seems competent. Let’s balance around him.”

sure, then Anet needs to look like WHY necros, rangers and mesmers are not represented in the higher tiers. Certainly choosing thieves over the other 3 classes have something to do with it to fill the last spot, no?

That logic is so badly flawed. Thief isn’t the only class seen in the competitive scene, nor is it the most common.

in PvP

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

A couple of points I’d like to add to this topic:

1) Not every player finds the thief easy to play. I see plenty who struggle to survive and do well in PvP, WvW and PvE. Your experience does not constitute every player, nor does it show the average player capability with the thief. Only Anet will have that statistic.

2) Playing a thief against a skilled player is NOT easy. The fact you claim Heartseeker is an i-win button makes me believe you haven’t played the theif long enough, or vs skilled enough players, to be able to make an experienced judgement on how easy/OP the thief is. Heartseeker is a very powerful skill, used at the right time, but it is far from an i-win button. I see plenty of thieves using it way too early and end up taking a dirt nap as a result.

In the hands of a skilled player, thief can be a very potent profession, but the same can easily be said of other professions. The thief can also be quite powerful in the hands of an average player, but again, so too can other professions if it suits their playstyle.

If you find the thief easy, so far, than I am happy for you. But not everyone does. Different professions will suit different player better than others. What you find easy others will find hard, and visa versa. Your experience does not mean the profession is easy or OP, only that it is easy/OP for you.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in PvP

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Yup. Listen to this guy, he knows exactly what’s up.
I want to congratulate you on finally taking the time to roll a thief and discover for yourself how OP it is. I wish more people did that, it would make their lives better playing an easier game using an OP class.
I wish you luck climbing the MMR ladder and winning tournaments.

It’s a bit sad, that the few “white knights” of the thief class will no longer have exclusive privilege to the OP thief class now that people are catching on and rolling one themselves.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Look, i don’t know how the pub mentality is formed, but we can all agree that after a while we realize what works and what doesn’t against the general population. So far whenever i pop stealth from healing or shadow refuge its like a second chance at life. The only thing thats been a real issue is ranger AOE. Other than that i’m usually peachy after i stealth.

You are the ranger’s hardcounter. Especially with D/P you have to win 100% of the time in 1on1. If that class is an issue for you, you are not as good as you think.

Then again you said spamming #2 makes you win. Get your MMR up and come back here again.

It seems you confuse both terms, MMR is not Win/Loss ratio. Just my 2 cents.

Those spammy #2 thieves are my favorites. Hope I meet you in a game lol. Free kills for me The only way you can win someone is if you catch them on cooldown. There’s no way in hell you’d win someone with their skills ready for you.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

So we forget about Nos? o.O

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Wow, you seem to have mastered the class so quickly – heartseeker ftw and shadow refuge, that’s deep stuff. I agree with your modest self-assessment that you probably only have to “work on some timings and cooldowns”.

in PvP

Invoker.5462

Low or high level- as long as we’re not talking tournaments where every number matters and we all play metabuilds- lets just assume we are all at high MMR where i have been (dont care for it as it just sends me against 5 mans all day)

Shadowstep- infiltrators signet, and the pistol skill which teleports you to the target AND the bow skill which blinks you to the select location are all incredible skills. You cannot deny that warriors would love to have something like this I.E impale teleports to the target.

It all seems more fitting to the melee role, the ability to be sticky. Good luck shaking me when i play thief like when i’m playing my warrior. There is no escape. I think the deepest and most difficult understanding for me has been how to keep blind up as much as possible but tbh…

Its like trying to improve something which has little value to begin with. Facing another thief with more practice could prove difficult but a lot of times it comes down to pure luck. I’m looking at going invisible, basilisk venom, backstab and MAYBE a heartseeker before i shadowstep away/repeat.

The luck is if i get my air procs or not- or if he just so happens to randomly evade right at the time i decide to initiate.

I think “difficult” is more tied to people trying to figure out how to map out their hotkey’s and how fast they can absorb things they read I.E what a skill does. For me it took about 3 games and i was rockin it- kills everywhere and easy points. I only died when i made a mistake which is a whole lot better than the hopeless situations warriors find themselves in with no escape.

in PvP

Posted by: Momekic.8603

Momekic.8603

To the op, if you in any way, shape, or form think that any class in this game is hard to play you may want to have yourself checked for slight mental kittenation. Nothing in a video game is hard.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Sit there spamming heartseeker? 0/10

in PvP

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

i stop reading there.

I don’t know who is worst, the OP trolling or others playing hes game.

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Fluffkin.7358

Mister Fluffkin.7358

People talk about thiefs like they´re playing a warrior. Thief is a very weak choice for beeing the “1on1 guy” in your team, but thats not their job anyway.

What makes a good thief is their movement. Neutralizing uncontested nodes to force majorities in teamfights, thats what thief is mostly about. Sadly 90% of the thiefs around try to play it like a warrior which may work at lowest tier, but thats an illusion!

Btw, any zerk build will look good against newbies because they simply dont know how to avoid your bursts. Thats nothing exclusive to the thief class…

in PvP

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

Btw, any zerk build will look good against newbies because they simply dont know how to avoid your bursts. Thats nothing exclusive to the thief class…

duh, everyone knows that. Thieves just have more tools to engage and disengag, with no weapon cooldown and stealth mechanic, and that’s what makes them the go-to choice over other zerk/burst classes like rangers/mesmers/necros.

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Everyone with experience knows that thief is hard to play against competent players.

These guys saying it is easy are just scamming you, or are just trying to convince you that they are super talented.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

A brief lookover of my post history would reveal that i am an avid warrior player, its all i’ve been playing in this game. My warrior and all his builds, from all in rifle burst, to dull shoutbow- even duel mace.

First off it took a bit of getting used to not having weapon cool-downs. It was awesome. I could just sit there and spam heartseeker as if its an i-win button, my only counter being endure pain skills.

I didn’t really worry about the bow too much, it seems like a weak weapon but the mobility of it is INSANE- endless supply of blink? Thank you very much!

TBH the damage output here is what i’ve been trying to push out of warrior for some time now- rifle burst pushing the limits but being insanely unreliable. But this? This is crazy, i feel like i just started playing a 1up profession. It’s my first day with it, and already i’m scoring top 3 on my team several games in a row.

Hard to play? Not really- i could work on some timings and cooldowns but tbh the overall survival mechanics and reliance of cooldowns on my warrior made that WAY harder than this profession.

Awesome. Can’t wait to see you in a weekly cup. Just let me know the time you are playing so that I can watch how easy it is for you.

By the way since it seems you are very new
—spamming 2 makes no sense
—talking about your personal score makes you seem like a nub

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Wow, thief is quite R-t@rd to play, should of bin the title to this thread.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GmJwpOZgTDA/VEM6KZd95iI/AAAAAAABcx4/5lubV7Ggf6s/s288/tumblr_lquofq5o1M1qb24p7o1_500.png
Look, ima thief, ima pro.. i mash buttons 1 & 2

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

You have absolutely no idea on what you’re talkin about…being a thief vs randoms can be pretty easy ofc…as it is for any other class with a proper spec, but being a GOOD thief in high tier pvp, where people are not standing there eating hearthseekers all day long and where you’re down at the first mistake you make, is far from being easy….not even remotely close to easy

And no…i don’t main thief.

If, as a warrior, you die vs a thief that is just spamming one button you should probably uninstall the game already and never look back…

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Awesome. Can’t wait to see you in a weekly cup. Just let me know the time you are playing so that I can watch how easy it is for you.

By the way since it seems you are very new
—spamming 2 makes no sense
—talking about your personal score makes you seem like a nub

This. Spamming 2 is old news for thief and ended around 2 years ago.
Personal score literally means NOTHING, and only people who play Hotjoin may care.
Basically these 2 lines remove all the OP’s credibility already.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

To be fair, I would say thief is quite easy to play in a very crude way like the OP describes. When I first started relearning thief for an experiment I tried to just use HS (I love the animation), and its true you can down some players or use it for mobility.

But that kind of play just gets you killed against anyone with half a brain, and doesn’t take advantage of the thief’s real potential- decaping and +1ing.

After playing thief for a while you realize that nearly every class counters zerker thief in 1vs1 fights. I am never going to win 1vs1 against most warrior builds on a d/p thief (especially after bp was nerfed), the same goes for engi, ele, and guard. There is some hope against ranger and necro, and the fight is in my favour against zerker Mesmer if I get the drop.

Most games I spend running/teleporting to decap and rushing back to burst down a weakened target, and quickly getting the hell out again. If the other team is particularly stupid I can troll them around a point and keep two or three occupied giving my team a numerical advantage elsewhere. Also thief comes in handy for saving teammates with shadow refuge or with the pistol interrupt. I think I have used HS twice in the last two months as an attack.

You actually have to be tricky and “ninja-like” to play thief well. Anet have done quite an amazing job differentiating the feel of different classes, and the depth of gameplay on some builds is quite astounding as well.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Fact is the OP is spot on. Thieves are extremely easy to play effectively

this, enough said.
champion shadow since 2013.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

It is hard to take the opinions of a known liar seriously. Shouldn’t you be making up more stories about seeing hackers everyday?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Drakortha.6974

Drakortha.6974

my first spvp match as thief. didn’t trait, amulet, or spend any deal of time looking at skills. just used my dagger from lvl 2 reward and bought shortbow from vendor.

http://i.imgur.com/dkk1etT.jpg

my kills felt easy and effortless really, compared to what im used to on my ranger.

Ranger, Warrior, Guardian

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Weeell be thankful to your ranger! You learned to press #2 and only #2 and rather fast at that! Great skills man, great skills.

in PvP

Posted by: Flyphish.6398

Flyphish.6398

Who claimed thief was hard to play? I think people generally accept it is a straight forward class with a very defined roll.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

i really dunno why i even bother keep reading this thread…

the amount if bs all in one place is just…mindblowing…

And yeah posting personal score and number of kills from nowhere…maybe unranked vs total scrubs aswell as hotjoin definately proves your point lol

Want to test how op thief really is? Ask texbi or bullet for a 1v1 then come back and tell everyone how easy it was…

Or you can 1v1 me aswell with your ez mode brand new thief….add me Archaon.6245 show me how you kill ppl just randomly spamming stuff

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Yasha.5963

i really dunno why i even bother keep reading this thread…

the amount if bs all in one place is just…mindblowing…

And yeah posting personal score and number of kills from nowhere…maybe unranked vs total scrubs aswell as hotjoin definately proves your point lol

Want to test how op thief really is? Ask texbi or bullet for a 1v1 then come back and tell everyone how easy it was…

Or you can 1v1 me aswell with your ez mode brand new thief….add me Archaon.6245 show me how you kill ppl just randomly spamming stuff

Please make a video and post it here, want to see this!

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

This is clearly a troll thread. Anyone foolish enough to try what the OP says.. will learn that firsthand.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

op already asked if you guys wanted to see his stream. let him.

in PvP

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

I laugh so much reading the first post!

Thief gamestyle symple is somewhat totally ridiculus.

Thank you Invoker!!!

Please, please, make another thread on how easy is to play full zerk ele in pvp ^^