Your favourite GW2 Esports moments 2016

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

Hi everyone, with the world championship a few weeks behind us and the announcement for next year’s ESL events surely coming pretty soon, I thought it would be a great time to find out the moments in pro league/world championship that really stood out to people and made them enjoy watching the events. Personally, I find it extremely hard to choose only a few, because the has just been so many hype matches and awesome plays. But I took a while to think about all that has happened this year and have decided that the following are my own favourite moments:

NUMBER 1: vM vs. Astral season 1 finals, game 2.
Without a doubt, that game on temple in the season one finals was the most exciting gw2 esports game I have ever seen. I am sure that when the score was like 400-220 or whatever it was to astral, not a single person would have thought vermillion had any chance, myself included. However, what followed that was one of the most amazing comebacks I have ever seen, seriously the feeling I got when the camera switched from a fight on the temple node to alkore channelling tranquility was amazing and the commentating made it even better.

NUMBER 2: Rank 55 vs. Astral, season 2 finals, game 1.
This was another amazing moment and awesome comeback. Astral started the game by taking kill after kill on rank 55 and built up over 150 point lead. I really did think that Astral had improved so much and rank 55 just couldn’t even compete with them any more at that point but they managed to come back from what looked like certain defeat and made some pretty amazing plays including one awesome res from zan to rescue a losing fight not long before they went for Lord. When they did go for the Lord, I thought it was game over, but astral did an amazing job to get back and revive their Lord and even though it did go down eventually, it added to what was an extremely exciting game, I seriously had no idea who would win until the Lord was stomped.

NUMBER 3: PZ vs. Astral, season 2 week 7, game 3,
This was both a close, great to watch match and a major turning point in the competitive scene. I never thought I would see astral lose to another NA team again, but PZ did a fantastic job to beat them on temple to make it 1-1 and put in another incredible performance to take the series against them (it turned out second seed would have been better in the finals but that was irrelevant at that point). All the way through the match there was never a big point gap between the teams and PZ did a fantastic job to hold on to their lead and secure and amazing win that made the NA scene a lot more interesting, at least for me.

I would love to choose more but that would just turn this into an unbelievably long post. I can’t wait to hear what you all enjoyed and also for the announcement of next year’s pro events.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: MDTarik.5602

MDTarik.5602

the intro from jeff from never lucky

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The Mesmer portal play where a downed Ele went mist form and took the portal for an amazing lord rush play.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Frostball.9108

Frostball.9108

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

You should include links for people to watch these things that you’re talking about.

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

To have esport moments first we’d have to become an esport. Please don’t tell me you’re delusonal enough to think this game is esport.

in PvP

Posted by: Hanth.2978

Hanth.2978

To have esport moments first we’d have to become an esport. Please don’t tell me you’re delusonal enough to think this game is esport.

No were not there yet if you compare us to the likes of League and others but with some community support and less hate we could be.

in PvP

NotASmurf.1725

No were not there yet if you compare us to the likes of League and others but with some community support and less hate we could be.

Community support is not the problem, Anet is and we can’t change nor undo their stupidity. We are lightyears behind any esport title and the gap just keeps increasing.

in PvP

Posted by: CptCuddles.8912

CptCuddles.8912

Maybe if you actually learned how to play the game instead of crying about how everything is overpowered, you might actually realize that there is a lot more depth to the game than you’re even cognizant of.

Such depth.

Also, not sure I would assign you as an advocate for skill considering your latest world championship performance.

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that top 6 in the world with a last minute roster wasn’t good enough for you. I forget, where were you? On your couch munching on Doritos?

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that top 6 in the world with a last minute roster wasn’t good enough for you. I forget, where were you? On your couch munching on Doritos?

The ego one develops when climbing to the top of a very small mountain is quite fascinating.

Regardless, I don’t think you can defend the claim that gw2 pvp had lost much of its depth.

in PvP

Posted by: Hanth.2978

Hanth.2978

When that guy used his power creep to defeat the passive’s,so skillful he didn’t even have to look in his target’s direction due to the skillful auto channel abilities. and that cleave!

Seriously noone cares about esports because the greenhorn balance team removed 90% of player interaction.

Though it’s good it’s keeping 10-20 people interested in pvp, that’s like 80% of the playerbase…

It’s sad to see people hating on esports and the players that compete in it. If nobody cared then why does anet host world tournaments? It’s the same reason why they hosted trio speed run tournaments for pve players. Because both esports and speed run players have a big presence in the game so no amount of hating is gonna change that.

They host tournaments because A) it’s from the marketing budget and the marketing team can effectively dodge work for a year if they put it all into some tournament they don’t even have to organize and to cover up how bad PvP really is in this game and all the pro players would leave instantly if they weren’t getting paid. The pvp devs want to keep their jobs so they have to make this mess look good.

A. Better the money go into hosting tournaments for pve and pvp players than seeing all the cringe worthy ads and trailers we were getting accustomed to and B. it’s not perfect but it’s not as bad as you claim. How do you know the pro players would leave instantly? You should ask them and report back to us. From what I seen pro players actually like this game and been on the record as such.

in PvP

NotASmurf.1725

How do you know the pro players would leave instantly? You should ask them and report back to us. From what I seen pro players actually like this game and been on the record as such.

Oh yeah they love it so much that’s why nearly all of them stopped streaming and barely ever log in unless it has something to do with a paid tournament (like scrims).

I’d suggest adding the roster of the EU teams to your friendlist and tell me if they even come online.

And what are we even talking about? The roughly 10 teams that are still around? GW2’s PvP viewercount on average is around 0.1% of what actual esport games get, that should tell you something.

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

The ego one develops when climbing to the top of a very small mountain is quite fascinating.

Regardless, I don’t think you can defend the claim that gw2 pvp had lost much of its depth.

the ego of someone sitting on their couch eating dorritos mocking the person who climbed that small mountian. cuz eating dorritos on a couch is so kitten hard right?

im bad at sarcasm

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

the ego of someone sitting on their couch eating dorritos mocking the person who climbed that small mountian. cuz eating dorritos on a couch is so kitten hard right?

Why such hate for Doritos? But seriously, I’m sorry for hurting your precious feelings. Now can we get back to talking about something that actually matters like how pvp has largely devolved in this game?

in PvP

abaddon.3290

Why such hate for Doritos? But seriously, I’m sorry for hurting your precious feelings. Now can we get back to talking about something that actually matters like how pvp has largely devolved in this game?

or maybe you can stay on topic instead of trying to hijack a perfectly reasonable thread. GO MAKE YOUR OWN.

im bad at sarcasm

in PvP

suffish.4150

Maybe if you actually learned how to play the game instead of crying about how everything is overpowered, you might actually realize that there is a lot more depth to the game than you’re even cognizant of.

Such depth.

Also, not sure I would assign you as an advocate for skill considering your latest world championship performance.

I don’t understand why people think this video shows no skill gameplay. If pvp was just spamming skills, then this would NEVER happen. This shows that there is an optimal way to use skills in that situation and both revs, because they are the best 2 in the world in my opinion, both know exactly what to do. Would some random Rev in ranked do that? No, they would use their skills in a different, less effective way. That video shows the exact opposite of gameplay with no depth and I honestly do not understand why people do not seem to think that.

Also, this was supposed to be a positive thread about the moments in competitive events that people have enjoyed and looking forward to what may happen next season, so can I ask everyone to please stay on topic because it really is sad to see all this negativity in the thread I created.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Such depth.

I don’t understand why people think this video shows no skill gameplay. If pvp was just spamming skills, then this would NEVER happen. This shows that there is an optimal way to use skills in that situation and both revs, because they are the best 2 in the world in my opinion, both know exactly what to do. Would some random Rev in ranked do that? No, they would use their skills in a different, less effective way. That video shows the exact opposite of gameplay with no depth and I honestly do not understand why people do not seem to think that.

Also, this was supposed to be a positive thread about the moments in competitive events that people have enjoyed and looking forward to what may happen next season, so can I ask everyone to please stay on topic because it really is sad to see all this negativity in the thread I created.

Apparently people are so kitten in NA. Offended by everything. That’s why gw2 pvp scene is a joke.

People don’t wanna use comms even if its built in
People don’t wanna team up
People think they are better than they are actually are.

Its the perfect recipe for disaster.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

not sure whats more cringy, the cring_e-sports itself or the people who actively try to discuss it

I don’t know man. It’s pretty “cringy” that you wrote “cring_e-sports”.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

are there any vods for these matches?

in PvP

suffish.4150

Yes, every match from week 1 in season 1 is on both YouTube and twitch right now.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

Favorite moment = when Tarcis taught Olrun how to play warrior in that utterly hilarious destruction of a 1v1

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: Skittledness.5106

Skittledness.5106

the intro from jeff from never lucky

<3333333333333

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

When ANX beat ROX to go 3-1 last week. Ridiculous. I can’t believe Peanut threw so badly.

Oh… wait. GW2 has e-sports? Wait. How?

in PvP

abaddon.3290

Favorite moment = when Tarcis taught Olrun how to play warrior in that utterly hilarious destruction of a 1v1

heres the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMtMMuVOn5A

im bad at sarcasm

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

I could do a forum recap if you wish.
In bullet points:

-In an effort to clean up the forums, suffish posts a “happy go lucky” message.
-The thread dies a horrible death
-Attracted by the impending smell of dis pare, the forum trolls breath new life into a dead thread
-Olrun breaks out his Esl thief dodge skills
-The greatest moment was uncovered: People fleeing from a fight to grind some loot from the AI lord.
-The second greatest moment was uncovered: people spamming the same skills.
-Salt was flung
-Olrun proclaims himself the master of Na being ranked 6th overall,
-Oxford dictionary to rewrite the defination of “winning” 6th out of 10 will now be known as “skillful”
-In an effort to reclaim the thread, Suffish pulls of a stunning backcap and pleads for positive vibes, not realizing this thread is positive, positively hilarious.

Hm think that about catches you up.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

I could do a forum recap if you wish.
In bullet points:

-In an effort to clean up the forums, suffish posts a “happy go lucky” message.
-The thread dies a horrible death
-Attracted by the impending smell of dis pare, the forum trolls breath new life into a dead thread
-Olrun breaks out his Esl thief dodge skills
-The greatest moment was uncovered: People fleeing from a fight to grind some loot from the AI lord.
-The second greatest moment was uncovered: people spamming the same skills.
-Salt was flung
-Olrun proclaims himself the master of Na being ranked 6th overall,
-Oxford dictionary to rewrite the defination of “winning” 6th out of 10 will now be known as “skillful”
-In an effort to reclaim the thread, Suffish pulls of a stunning backcap and pleads for positive vibes, not realizing this thread is positive, positively hilarious.

Hm think that about catches you up.

A perfect summary of gw2 esports.

in PvP

Posted by: Gmtsai.6349

Gmtsai.6349

Agree with Darknicrofia:

My favorite moment: When Tarcis 1v2ed Olrun and Jeff from Never Lucky and yet still not get qualify. This 1v2 is the most clear moment for viewers to see the outplays and how can mechanic skill make huge difference between players.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMtMMuVOn5A

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

And how mechanical skill means absolute jack in the current iteration of the game in most cases.

But it’s been that way since like… forever in sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: pixie.5940

pixie.5940

Question
Why isn’t this emailed to everyone in game about this poll. Like it is in WvW. Not everyone comes to threads, and twitter, fb, or reddit.

It’s how I voted for most my WvW was thanks to that letter in-game mail about it.

I say sort of shady and makes votes and thoughts short sided.

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

That one’s going to haunt me for a while, isn’kitten Regardless, the reason why we won that match was because Ipno carried, and a couple other reasons. Ipno completely donged Ementon, and Ez Pz’s rotations were certainly lacking, resulting in Zorh taking a Druid v Warrior match up multiple times because spawns weren’t correctly accounted for. Using that play to say the game is skill-less is misleading at best, since it ignores all the plays my teammates made that match.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I actually like most tight matches, it is realy nice to look at and I always cheer on the team with unique compositions. So that time when Orange Logo didn’t even play with comms against was it 55? Don’t remember, but they used like DH when it was on the bottom of all classes I remember.

Best way to keep this topic healthy is to ignore the trolls and the haters. A good topic OP.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

suffish.4150

I actually like most tight matches, it is realy nice to look at and I always cheer on the team with unique compositions. So that time when Orange Logo didn’t even play with comms against was it 55? Don’t remember, but they used like DH when it was on the bottom of all classes I remember.

Best way to keep this topic healthy is to ignore the trolls and the haters. A good topic OP.

It was against more guns and car crashed when they played without comm (they played twice that week). And yeah close matches I always enjoy, especially when there is a comeback, but only when my favourite team wins (for example I could never give DNL vs. R55 game 4 at worlds as a good moment because I am still annoyed about the result of that game, lol) however they are always exciting to watch live, regardless of result.

As for unique comps, I do agree with you. One moment I can think of is when GnR rank 2 wars and a thief against rank 55 back in season 1 when those 2 classes were total trash. I am unsure about if that was a joke comp or not, but I doubt it was considering they changed for game 2. They lost 500-0 but whatever, that doesn’t matter. I also did like how NL ran staff thief in worlds qualifiers and managed to beat PZ with it. Interesting compositions are always good to see, even better when they manage to do well.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)