redesign traps

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

Traps are currently used as tactical nukes (guardian and condi ranger) or as a personal portal (shadow trap). Honestly i don’t know why they are even called traps as nothing about their design has to do with luring enemies in to a dangerous area.

So what i propose is to buff them (and make thief traps circular like the rest) but give them a set up time of 4 seconds. If a trap is triggered within 4 seconds of being placed it has a diminished effect, for example if spiked trap is triggered within 4 sec of being placed it only immobilizes and applies bleeding. But if it is triggered after 4 sec it then launches (same as now) apples more bleeding and leaves behind a aoe circle for a few seconds that pulses power damage.
This is just a basic example, but if all traps behave like this then there will be actual strategy about their use rather than jump/blink in and nuke a point, and anet can buff all of the lackluster traps (90% of them) to be worthy utility skills.

Edit: changed the trap i used as the example to stop ppl from thinking this is a dh thread………

see no evil ,until i stab you

(edited by foste.3098)

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I would be fine if the damage was further reduced on traps, but that they allow you to teleport to the traps location once triggered. That way, they function as personal portals so that a guard can guard side points from decaps and circumvent the innate lack of mobility the class has. It would further entrench it as a counter for thfs and perhaps a harder counter to side point assaulters like mes, war and rng.

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Lol the post dh buffs nerf traps threads have begun as prophesied

In all seriousness though Kuya that idea is pretty nice, i dont play dh but it would be really interesting to see. The teleport would be a flip over skill which would prevent the traps from going on cooldown once used, which may mean base cooldown reductions. This should be fine if the damage of the traps were nerfed in the process.

I imagine Dhs wouldnt mind at all especially since the recalls would work as escapes

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

So make the DH even more of a hard counter to thief?

redesign traps

in PvP

Kuya.6495

Lol the post dh buffs nerf traps threads have begun as prophesied

In all seriousness though Kuya that idea is pretty nice, i dont play dh but it would be really interesting to see. The teleport would be a flip over skill which would prevent the traps from going on cooldown once used, which may mean base cooldown reductions. This should be fine if the damage of the traps were nerfed in the process.

I imagine Dhs wouldnt mind at all especially since the recalls would work as escapes

I honestly think it would kill so many birds with one stone.

You would:

1. give guards what they’ve been asking for regarding more mobility
2. you could justify reducing the damage substantially given the new level of utility added, so it would please the complainers… for now
3. you can justify making it so traps cannot be dropped back to back (another complaint from those at the receiving end of traps) since once a trap is dropped it transforms into a flip over skill like how rev works, preventing you from using the trap again until you either trigger it manually to teleport or have an enemy trigger it so you can teleport.
4.gives traps a new dimension that is less noob stump and more strategic, giving traps more skill based use. much like they change they made with heavy light and bow 3.
5. virtous solace was a good start, but changing traps to work this way would give guards better disengage from unwinnable fights. Right now, a guard is too forced to commit to fights that they start.

I would love Anet forever

(edited by Kuya.6495)

redesign traps

in PvP

Kuya.6495

Depends on how much they reduce the damage on traps in return for adding a teleportation mechanic. If they reduce it enough, it would mean no more insta-downs for thfs who cross into a point loaded with traps. I also imagine that guards would take less traps since you only really need two. One for mid and one for home.

redesign traps

in PvP

foste.3098

I am not suggesting every trap in the game becomes a shadow trap, that would be ridiculous nor am i asking for nerfs to dh dh traps i just use one of theirs as an example.

What i want is traps to be less effective if dropped directly on top of a enemy and more effective if you place them away and then ether lure a enemy in or force them in via pulls and knock backs.
Remember we are talking about ranger traps too which are also used as nukes in condi builds, where you just drop them on top of someone and thieves which do not bother with theirs -shadow trap.

redesign traps

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Depends on how much they reduce the damage on traps in return for adding a teleportation mechanic. If they reduce it enough, it would mean no more insta-downs for thfs who cross into a point loaded with traps. I also imagine that guards would take less traps since you only really need two. One for mid and one for home.

Guardian has been the Hardcounter to thief before traps were a thing, if you couple teleportation on traps it puts the nail in the coffin even more. And to give a class teleportations on all of their traps is stealing away from a unique trap that all it did was teleport.

redesign traps

in PvP

Ragion.2831

Not really, if anything it helps thieves because the traps would go on full cd only when the recall is triggered so no more double test of faith or maw.

Also the dh would likely have used the other traps helping team mates on one point while the thief is decapping another point which wouldnt go on cooldown if the dh teleports to engage the thief unless the recall on the other traps expire or was used before the dh engages the thief.

Basically the cooldowns on the traps would be longer depending on the choices the DH makes which the thief can take advantage of against a full trap dh

If the dh is using all traps he would be stuck having to either recall back to the point just left to put the traps on cd or use weapons and virtues (assuming the recalls havent expired or been used)

Balance wise it makes sense because typically skills are normally designed in such a way that players who only use skills from one category dont benefit too much.

Also want to mention that something like this would guarantee DH a spot in the esl meta without threatening another class’ spot, well except ele.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: moobs.5862

moobs.5862

Traps are currently used as tactical nukes (guardian and condi ranger) or as a personal portal (shadow trap). Honestly i don’t know why they are even called traps as nothing about their design has to do with luring enemies in to a dangerous area.

So what i propose is to buff them (and make thief traps circular like the rest) but give them a set up time of 4 seconds. If a trap is triggered within 4 seconds of being placed it has a diminished effect, for example if test of faith is triggered within 4 sec of being placed it deals no dmg when the ring of blades pops up and the ring lasts for a shorter time. But if it is triggered after 4 sec it delivers a heavy hit as the blades pop up and the ring lasts a longer time.
This is just a basic example, but if all traps behave like this then there will be actual strategy about their use rather than jump/blink in and nuke a point, and anet can buff all of the lackluster traps to be worthy utility skills (basically almost all non dh traps).

Cute idea for maybe another expansion. No one will ever have the time to completely redesign and balance 15 skills.

NL m0bz

redesign traps

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Not really, if anything it helps thieves because the traps would go on full cd only when the recall is triggered so no more double test of faith or maw.

Also the dh would likely have used the other traps helping team mates on one point while the thief is decapping another point which wouldnt go on cooldown if the dh teleports to engage the thief unless the recall on the other traps expire or was used before the dh engages the thief.

Basically the cooldowns on the traps would be longer depending on the choices the DH makes which the thief can take advantage of against a full trap dh

If the dh is using all traps he would be stuck having to either recall back to the point just left to put the traps on cd or use weapons and virtues (assuming the recalls havent expired or been used)

Balance wise it makes sense because typically skills are normally designed in such a way that players who only use skills from one category dont benefit too much.

Also want to mention that something like this would guarantee DH a spot in the esl meta without threatening another class’ spot, well except ele.

This wouldn’t help thieves in the slightest, you have. A weird sense of what help means.

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Can we at least give the Thief an immunity to a trap IF it successfully evades the initial activation? It gets frustrating to avoid a stack of traps only to be sucked back into them because your evade/dodge didn’t take you outside of the pull range.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

redesign traps

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Can we at least give the Thief an immunity to a trap IF it successfully evades the initial activation? It gets frustrating to avoid a stack of traps only to be sucked back into them because your evade/dodge didn’t take you outside of the pull range.

Oh you mean like how thief traps don’t affect targets if they dodge through them…

redesign traps

in PvP

Ragion.2831

Oh you mean like how thief traps don’t affect targets if they dodge through them…

lol you two are hilarious.

Kuya makes a great suggestion which would prevent stacking traps, helps thieves while giving DH mobility and defense. Literally everyone wins but nah you just want to face roll.

Ok bai.

redesign traps

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

lol you two are hilarious.

Kuya makes a great suggestion which would prevent stacking traps, helps thieves while giving DH mobility and defense. Literally everyone wins but nah you just want to face roll.

Ok bai.

No you are just asking to make DH big an even bigger hard counter to the two main classes that are primarily decappers, and to take something unique from a class and the utility of that trap doesn’t do anything else except provide a teleport when you want teleports on top of persisting damaging traps, it’s just hilarious.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

You realize a successful steal gank burst from a Thief can essentially down a DH with limited cds right? The better Thieves literally wait out our cds outside a skirmish fight to +1 burst and down a DH quite easily. Same goes for Revs. Both have enough evades to avoid ToF all together.

Bad Thieves are really trying to nerf DH to place them on their Amber level when really all it’ll do is cripple our competitive viability in the higher leagues.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

You realize a successful steal gank burst from a Thief can essentially down a DH with limited cds right? The better Thieves literally wait out our cds outside a skirmish fight to +1 burst and down a DH quite easily.

I’m just pointing out what you said here….

A Thief can successfully engage a Dragonhunter if the following conditions are true…

1. The Thief ganks

2. The Dragonhunter has limited cooldowns

3. The Thief sits there waiting until the Dragonhunter is vulnerable

In other words, the Thief literally becomes a vulture, which is quite accurate, and I’ve been saying that several times recently. Unfortunately, that does not help a Thief to engage a Dragonhunter in a 1v1, nor does it help a Thief who is attempting to decap an empty point escape a full stack of traps that was left behind… even though the Thief does successfully evade the initial activation… but the evade does not carry it far enough away from Dragon’s Maw.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

(edited by Kageseigi.2150)

redesign traps

in PvP

foste.3098

Can we stop discussing about dh traps becoming shadow trap, It will NEVER happen!!! This thread was suppose to be about all traps and remaking them so that you are encouraged to pull ppl in them rather than drop them at ppl’s feet.

Dragon hunter and guardian by design have poor mobility and that will never change unless their next elite spec is specifically about mobility. Giving dh a shadow trap is never going to happen stop it!!

This is about dragon hunter traps, ranger traps, and thief traps, and how 1 profession is using their set as nukes, and the other 2 almost never bother with theirs.

redesign traps

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

DH traps wont change cause DH (guardian) is only class without 25% movement trait or utility so he is waiting for you to come to him. This is only class that is stuck with Traveler runes for 4 years. If they ever reduce traps damage(again) then they need to move his base hp to warrior and necro state (18k hp).

redesign traps

in PvP

foste.3098

DH traps wont change cause DH (guardian) is only class without 25% movement trait or utility so he is waiting for you to come to him. This is only class that is stuck with Traveler runes for 4 years. If they ever reduce traps damage(again) then they need to move his base hp to warrior and necro state (18k hp).

what does guardian mobility have to do with making the traps more powerful after 4 sec of them being placed and weaker if triggered before that?
Again this is not just about the guardian but traps as a whole being used as bombs where you just place them on top of someone rather than lead enemies in. It is frustrating to play against, especially in larger team fights where you can’t see kitten and not much fun to play against ether.

redesign traps

in PvP

foste.3098

I really like the idea of shadow step ability for traps. I would definitely use it. I hope they will put it in the game.

If you want that play a thief with shadow trap otherwise it will never happen, despite what stupid thing kuya thinks.

Reminder thins thread is not about dragon hunters!