sPvP blog post... its a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

- no new modes
- no new maps
- no leaderboards
- no observer mode

You’re not alone. This disappointed me so much. I don’t want point cap, and honestly, I don’t enjoy it. I want team deathmatch from GW1 back. If point-cap is permanent GW2 pvp style, I’ll be highly disappointed.

in PvP

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

- no new modes
- no new maps
- no leaderboards
- no observer mode

You’re not alone. This disappointed me so much. I don’t want point cap, and honestly, I don’t enjoy it. I want team deathmatch from GW1 back. If point-cap is permanent GW2 pvp style, I’ll be highly disappointed.

Leaderboards and Spectator support are on the docket to be addressed – they told you that.
Modes & Maps will have to wait a while, because they are focused on Conquest right now. The reason is (and again, they TOLD you this) because they want a game mode that will be easy to spectate, commentate, and watch. Deathmatch is none of those things.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaim.7125

Kaim.7125

Please dont start GW2 vs WOW wars.

I dont create this topic for this. I create this topic couse writing few words, with less information about future PvP in this game take almost 3 weeaks! And in the end, this “furure changes” is not, what sPvP players want hear after so long wait. Oh.. changes is to big word for that, what I read from “blog”.

ArenaNET faild HARDLY all sPvP players with blog, and Im intrested what you think about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Seether.7285

You seem to lack the knowledge of how products evolve in the real world marketplace. If someone was to start a new car company and they tried to sell a car without the standard amenities like power windows, a radio etc, and they were aiming their product at the luxury car consumers, would you be making excuses for their lack of features as well because they were new?
It’s the same logic you are using to defend ArenaNet.

And you seem to lack any knowledge on how the video game development pipeline works. Comparing cars with video games is apples to oranges. Cars can be manufactured with modern printing technologies on assembly lines. Video games cannot. Imagine if each piece of a car was crafted and assembled by hand. Then maybe you have an apt comparison.

Players are asking for a brand new game to come out with the same/similar amount of content that another game has built up over 13 years. It’s asinine that people can even think this way. Regardless of the leaps we’ve made in the development process, it still takes the same amount of time now to develop an MMO as it did 5-8 years ago.

Remember, humans make these games and they can still only put in between 40-60 hours a week (in crunch times… more). Content development is still bottlenecked by the fact that we need to sleep and there’s only so many hours in a day/week.

I don’t really care if I come across as a fanboy. I make games on the side. I literally have to sacrifice all of my free time if I want to get anything done and I don’t get paid until the game launches. I don’t even have time to play games anymore. I work a full-time job, then come home and then spend 5-8 hours developing. I might get an hour or two a week to play games if I’m lucky.

I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be for the professionals. Listening to children with no concept of the amount of effort an MMO takes to develop, crying for more content barely a month out after they just worked themselves to the bone for years on end.

More maps and modes will come. Show a little integrity and have a little patience. Like I said earlier, if the general attitude of this thread is how the general public feels about new MMOs, the entire genre is doomed. Not just GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

Sorry Ragnar, it really isn’t that different. Yes they are different industries but once things become standard features, consumers expect those features to be a complete product.

But keep defending ArenaNet and calling people children, your arguments are very compelling and persuasive.

in PvP

Posted by: Irascible.8210

Irascible.8210

I was happy with it. They’ve got a lot on their plate and every patch has been smooth – They really take their time to make sure that things are right. First time I’ve seen an mmo dev actually stay true to, “When it’s ready.” I’ll gladly wait for it. I’ve got 400 hours in game and I’ve barely scratched the surface.

in PvP

Posted by: Blaqwolf.1264

Blaqwolf.1264

sPvP joke blog

…that new players feel intimidated when fighting more experienced players, and experienced players want to meet up against each other more often…

Hah hah. Wrong.

Experienced players want to hang out in zones where inexperienced players are trying to learn and roflstomp them all day long for easy ‘1st place’ rewards. That way they’ll always have a steady supply of ‘tickets’ for the tournaments and market junk.
They’ll just learn how to avoid more challenging experienced players in pick-up matches, or take in their entire team of Epic Equipped PvP guildies and stomp every challenger while laughing all the way to the bank.

in PvP

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Sorry Ragnar, it really isn’t that different. Yes they are different industries but once things become standard features, consumers expect those features to be a complete product.

Erm. No, they are completely different.

Car manufacturing companies (heck most electronic companies like Apple/Dell) purchase most of their parts and components from subcontractors, who are specialized in building very specific parts. These parts work for the most part, because they have entire companies dedicated to designing/refining them and have gone through many many many iterations.

In game companies, you are building everything from the GROUND UP. Sure, Anet has different teams for different aspects of the game, but just by sheer manpower, this comparison is way off (considering there are probably millions of workers who directly or indirectly contribute to the construction of a car).

Sure, there’s concepts like leaderboards that other games have already done. But Anet can’t simply take that portion of the code and slap it into their game (due to reasons of differing programming languages/proprietary issues/simple code incompatibility who knows). They actually have to figure out, from scratch, how to build that feature within their own game. Which isn’t as simple as it sounds.

Anyways, the industry comparisons aren’t valid at all. It’s downright silly.

I couldn’t care less with people complaining. It is their opinion. But to make silly comparisons like this is…..silly.

in PvP

Posted by: Ecliptica.7509

Ecliptica.7509

Sadly, i think there is a lot of work that requires on balance and bugs. When we start to seen necros/rangers/eles with differents builds (for example) then i think we should start to thinking ranks and all things the game MUST have… but until the game works as intended i dont think we are going to see nothing like that, and thats “OK” i think?

in PvP

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

I find the first 3 paragraphs to be mildly offensive.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

But keep defending ArenaNet and calling people children, your arguments are very compelling and persuasive.

Well, I’m sorry but I can’t imagine a full grown gamer adult with any sort of life experience would honestly compare car manufacturing to game software development. It seems like something someone would say when they literally have zero clue what they’re talking about.

Usually only children make such terrible comparisons because they think they know better, but don’t.

Regardless, I’ve made my point. MMOer’s who have been around before WoW will agree with me. Those with common sense will agree with me. The rest… well, no amount of typing on a forum will convince them so I really could care less. I have better things to spend my energy on.

in PvP

pullnointer.1476

Sadly, i think there is a lot of work that requires on balance and bugs. When we start to seen necros/rangers/eles with differents builds (for example) then i think we should start to thinking ranks and all things the game MUST have… but until the game works as intended i dont think we are going to see nothing like that, and thats “OK” i think?

no. ranking is THE single most important aspect of ANY competitive game. if nobody knows who’s the best, who’s popular and who to watch then nobody is gonna give two kitten about the pvp really. paid tournaments are just useless fodder. I seriously can’t believe they released like this.
Oh and playing against complete noobs sucks too. not entirely sure if paid tourneys are gonna solve that.

(edited by pullnointer.1476)

in PvP

Ursan.7846

no. ranking is THE single most important aspect of ANY competitive game.

Nope. That is your opinion.

In MY opinion, I think bug fixes and balance between class is more important.

But that’s MY opinion. So I don’t expect many people to care or be seen by anyone as constructive. But I don’t go around pontificating my opinions like they are facts. Now that’s just silly.

in PvP

pullnointer.1476

no. ranking is THE single most important aspect of ANY competitive game.

Nope. That is your opinion.

In MY opinion, I think bug fixes and balance between class is more important.

But that’s MY opinion. So I don’t expect many people to care or be seen by anyone as constructive. But I don’t go around pontificating my opinions like they are facts. Now that’s just silly.

except nobody plays spvp anymore and it’s because there is no competition. so my “opinion” is a fact.

in PvP

Ursan.7846

except nobody plays spvp anymore and it’s because there is no competition. so my “opinion” is a fact.

I’m not sure what you’re hoping to accomplish by throwing out these ridiculous hyperboles and completely untrue claims and trying to pass them off as “facts.”

Look at the screenshot. Obviously people are playing spvp. Now this is a “fact.”

And I played around 4-5 tournaments yesterday too. So obviously people are playing tPvP.

So…Er. Yea. Sure, whatever you want dude.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Zin.6170

Zin.6170

If that is all they have planned for the near future, game is done in regards to spvp being mainstream.

Sure, it doesn’t have a monthly fee and people can come back at anytime, but they won’t. At least not to be competitive in spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaim.7125

Kaim.7125

LOL at this screenshoot. U show 1/10 of all servers where some1 play and that is proof “spvp dont die” ?

I can upload SS where players play only at 7 servers and rest is empty.

in PvP

Ursan.7846

LOL at this screenshoot. U show 1/10 of all servers where some1 play and that is proof “spvp dont die” ?

I can upload SS where players play only at 7 servers and rest is empty.

Cool dude, go ahead. This screenshot is not meant to be proof that “spvp isn’t dead”. It’s meant to disprove a previous user’s claim that “nobody plays spvp anymore.” Which is an exaggeration and false.

Whether spvp is dying? That’s a more fuzzy idea and an argument I honestly do not care to get into.

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

The rewards absolutely suck for the Ticket Tournaments. It’s unbelievable that first place is awarded only 360 Glory. The Gems are a nice touch but it doesn’t make up for the missing Glory. You should get 360 Glory for making it to round 2 in a Ticketed event.

in PvP

pullnointer.1476

The rewards absolutely suck for the Ticket Tournaments. It’s unbelievable that first place is awarded only 360 Glory. The Gems are a nice touch but it doesn’t make up for the missing Glory. You should get 360 Glory for making it to round 2 in a Ticketed event.

2k for winning, 800 for second place, 300 for third and fourth.
atm, you get less glory by winning all free tournies you enter than zerging around in 8v8.

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

2k for winning, 800 for second place, 300 for third and fourth.
atm, you get less glory by winning all free tournies you enter than zerging around in 8v8.

You didn’t read the Anet blog. You get 360 Glory and 360 Rank Points for winning a Paid Tournament. The 2k for winning was the Pre-Launch award for Ticketed Tourneys. And yes, even with the implemented 350 Rank Point cap you can farm rank points in 8v8 much faster than in both Free and Paid Tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

- no new modes
- no new maps
- no leaderboards
- no observer mode

Leaderboards and Spectator support are on the docket to be addressed – they told you that.
Modes & Maps will have to wait a while, because they are focused on Conquest right now. The reason is (and again, they TOLD you this) because they want a game mode that will be easy to spectate, commentate, and watch. Deathmatch is none of those things.

thanks captain obvious. we know theyre addressing this. the disappointing part is (by the sound of the blog) they havent even started working on it. and it’s not being prioritized.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Sky.9347

- no new modes
- no new maps
- no leaderboards
- no observer mode

thanks captain obvious. we know theyre addressing this. the disappointing part is (by the sound of the blog) they havent even started working on it. and it’s not being prioritized.

Oh I see. You wanted it right NOW.

in PvP

Posted by: shalmont.2539

shalmont.2539

I actually think another week or two of silence would’ve been more appropriate.

I’m not annoyed with the post, and I see the pressure the community has put on the devs for releasing this post, but I don’t believe this is the blog post they wanted to put on the forums.

They have a lot of stuff they are fixing, not just spvp bugs but pve bugs, wvwvw bugs etc, and obviously implementing the pvp aspects it taking longer than expected. They’re just not handling the demands of the community very well.

wait what? PRESSURE? lol for something that should have been out since release? they promised an e-sport, people came to this game cause of it, not because of their radddddddd raiding system and pve options, most of the pvpers went back to wow or whatever other games they played, and the ones of us that remained with high hopes that it was just overlooked and they would get back on their job, were seriously let down by the blog post…. another week? for a blog post that took 3? lol you sir must be an under cover employee.

in PvP

Sky.9347

I’m not annoyed with the post, and I see the pressure the community has put on the devs for releasing this post, but I don’t believe this is the blog post they wanted to put on the forums.

They have a lot of stuff they are fixing, not just spvp bugs but pve bugs, wvwvw bugs etc, and obviously implementing the pvp aspects it taking longer than expected. They’re just not handling the demands of the community very well.

wait what? PRESSURE? lol for something that should have been out since release? they promised an e-sport, people came to this game cause of it, not because of their radddddddd raiding system and pve options, most of the pvpers went back to wow or whatever other games they played, and the ones of us that remained with high hopes that it was just overlooked and they would get back on their job, were seriously let down by the blog post…. another week? for a blog post that took 3? lol you sir must be an under cover employee.

Hahaha, that’s funny. You said PvPers went back to WoW. Good one.

They never promised you an eSport level game on the day of release.

in PvP

Posted by: shalmont.2539

shalmont.2539

Hahaha, that’s funny. You said PvPers went back to WoW. Good one.

They never promised you an eSport level game on the day of release.

Say what you want about wow, but uhh all you have to do is go on twitch.tv and see which one has the most viewers, cant knock their pvp community.

So if they werent planning on having an esport on release why did they make it seem like the game would come out ready? they said they are now “planning” lol, know what that means? in the MMO world?