why no duel?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you want to duel, you an Go to the Guild Arena and fight.

You can go to an sPvP map and fight

You an go to a WvW map and fight.

People who want to fight other players can use these options.

The last thing PvE players need is a bunch of people with over inflated egos challenging everyone that does not agree with them to a duel.

On top of that, the last thing PvE maps need is the endless salty crying of wanna be pvp’ers.

I still honestly do not get that mindset. It is like you are differentiating the game between PvP´ers and PvE´ers. As if PvE’ers never went to wvw or pvp and WvW´ers/pvpers never went to PvE content…which is a weird to position an argument. Even if I would were to accept this as a valid argument as of why dueling should not be in PvE, I would still be able to turn it around and say that PvE is still in those 2 PvP games, and in most if not all cases, killing a PvE mob in WvW or SPvP always count for more than killing a player. So adding a duel, which is considerably small and doesnt reward anything in PvE, should be a given right.

I am not saying this should ever become a valid argument as of why duel should be implemented, I am just presenting an answer if you truly believe that PvE and PvP players are like 2 different worlds where as each get a bit from the devs each time, and that we should take the whole “if you are in pvp you pvp and if in pve, you pve” argument seriously, instead of putting up the argument in a fair way.

And I seem to recall threads in the PvP and WvW sections complaining when ANet added in [more] PvE content. That they would actually prefer the PvE content removed from PvP and WvW.

So even the PvP and WvW crowd don’t want mixing between the modes.

I say no to duels.

The amount of work needed to put it into place compared to the number of players that would actually use it long term are prohibitive.

Because to me it would have to do the following:

1. You could only duel someone that is your level +/- 3 levels using this method. Going to PvP or a guild hall or WvW would have to be used for players with a greater level difference.
2. Duels would only be allowed in special instances in racial cities and Lion’s Arch (or other appropriate duel type arenas in other maps).
3. If there are any kind of duel specific rewards, a fraction should be given to those who lose. So if you get 10 duel credits if you win, you get 5 if you lose. That way someone who wants a duel reward but is bad at dueling can get the item(s) they want eventually.
4. Harsh punishments for the childish duelers who don’t take no for an answer. I don’t think anyone in this thread would be such a dueler but you can’t say they don’t exist or that they wouldn’t come to the game.
5. Not open to the F2P players.
6. Players have to opt in to getting challenges, it’s opt out by default. And pestering someone who has opted out to opt in would be subject to #4.
7. Being opted in does not mean that a player has to accept any and all challenges. That way players who do want to do duels, but not all the time don’t have to constantly adjust their opt in/out status based on their current mood.
8. If a player is counted as actively participating in an event, the duel challenge request does not automatically pop up so that duelers can’t troll in this fashion. It acts like the daily chest.
9. You can’t send challenge requests to players who have blocked you (it acts like that player has opted out of challenges).

That’s a lot of work for what only a minority of players would use in the long term.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There’s no way this would affect PvE in any way.

What happens if where you are dueling there are mobs around? Or events?

As soon as a third party interferes (mobs) the duel is canceled and both participants are restored to the health they had before the duel and the world keeps on spinning.

Do you honestly believe that this would be fast enough? They would also need to check if you are in range of mobs and/or events when you click on someone to send a duel request. I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

No. Dueling out in PVE will never work and saying that it won’t affect PVE is false. The only way it could work is inside very specific places, like that arena in the Black Citadel for example.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

You’re going to get the same responses since the game came out. The PvE players are frightened and literally shake at the thought of having someone send them a duel request.

Ummm… rather, why wouldn’t I just want people to duel? I mean the functionality is in the game for a long time now? I don’t get this thread…

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

As soon as a third party interferes (mobs) the duel is canceled and both participants are restored to the health they had before the duel and the world keeps on spinning.

Do you honestly believe that this would be fast enough? They would also need to check if you are in range of mobs and/or events when you click on someone to send a duel request. I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

No. Dueling out in PVE will never work and saying that it won’t affect PVE is false. The only way it could work is inside very specific places, like that arena in the Black Citadel for example.

The kitten do you mean fast enough? As soon as u get hit the duel is over and u get back to normal. It’s really not a complicated system at all. I dont know what kind of scenarios are you picturing in your head but its rly baffling. Ppl are not gonna start to duel mid event, ppl are not gonna duel mid leather farm, ppl are not gonna duel mid meta event.

Ppl will duel because they are in a group or with some firends and they will be “hey lets duel” so instead of going throught all the struggle of going to the arena and leaving what you are doing just for a quick duel they can just do it there, and i really fail to see how that will affect ANYTHING in PvE.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

The last thing PvE players need is a bunch of people with over inflated egos challenging everyone that does not agree with them to a duel.

On top of that, the last thing PvE maps need is the endless salty crying of wanna be pvp’ers.

I still honestly do not get that mindset. It is like you are differentiating the game between PvP´ers and PvE´ers.

No.. what I am doing is saving myself the annoyance of hearing a bunch of blowhards bragging about their elite dueling sills in Lions Arch, while challenging anyone and everyone to a duel, and then crying when they lose, while I am crafting, banking and doing mundane PvE tings.

The salty PvP smack talk is much better kept to Heart of the Mists, where it belongs.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

• Go to pvp lobby
  • Click play pvp
  • Go to the browse tab
  • Type duel in searchbar

Congraturasins! You found dueling in GW2!

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

You’re going to get the same responses since the game came out. The PvE players are frightened and literally shake at the thought of having someone send them a duel request.

Every major MMO that features dueling has an option to ignore duel requests so this is not an excuse.

Their other excuse is “I don’t want duels to clutter my precious Lions Arch!” but they’re the FIRST ONES to fill LA with dumb halloween costume fights.

There’s zero reason not to have dueling in the game. It’s a fun way for friends to test builds against each other while you wait to start a dungeon.

Stop taking the game so seriously Who cares if people duel near you.

This is a good example of what i mean with ‘some people don’t accept no for an answer’.

Instead of advocating your case by sticking to the pro’s of dueling and even come up with solutions that could contribute to it, you resort to kitten on the motives of people who are against it.

Imma go frightenedly sit in a corner now and shake for a bit while i await your reply

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

I still honestly do not get that mindset. It is like you are differentiating the game between PvP´ers and PvE´ers. As if PvE’ers never went to wvw or pvp and WvW´ers/pvpers never went to PvE content…which is a weird to position an argument. Even if I would were to accept this as a valid argument as of why dueling should not be in PvE, I would still be able to turn it around and say that PvE is still in those 2 PvP games, and in most if not all cases, killing a PvE mob in WvW or SPvP always count for more than killing a player. So adding a duel, which is considerably small and doesnt reward anything in PvE, should be a given right.

I am not saying this should ever become a valid argument as of why duel should be implemented, I am just presenting an answer if you truly believe that PvE and PvP players are like 2 different worlds where as each get a bit from the devs each time, and that we should take the whole “if you are in pvp you pvp and if in pve, you pve” argument seriously, instead of putting up the argument in a fair way.

And I seem to recall threads in the PvP and WvW sections complaining when ANet added in [more] PvE content. That they would actually prefer the PvE content removed from PvP and WvW.

So even the PvP and WvW crowd don’t want mixing between the modes.

I say no to duels.

The amount of work needed to put it into place compared to the number of players that would actually use it long term are prohibitive.

Because to me it would have to do the following:

1. You could only duel someone that is your level +/- 3 levels using this method. Going to PvP or a guild hall or WvW would have to be used for players with a greater level difference.
2. Duels would only be allowed in special instances in racial cities and Lion’s Arch (or other appropriate duel type arenas in other maps).
3. If there are any kind of duel specific rewards, a fraction should be given to those who lose. So if you get 10 duel credits if you win, you get 5 if you lose. That way someone who wants a duel reward but is bad at dueling can get the item(s) they want eventually.
4. Harsh punishments for the childish duelers who don’t take no for an answer. I don’t think anyone in this thread would be such a dueler but you can’t say they don’t exist or that they wouldn’t come to the game.
5. Not open to the F2P players.
6. Players have to opt in to getting challenges, it’s opt out by default. And pestering someone who has opted out to opt in would be subject to #4.
7. Being opted in does not mean that a player has to accept any and all challenges. That way players who do want to do duels, but not all the time don’t have to constantly adjust their opt in/out status based on their current mood.
8. If a player is counted as actively participating in an event, the duel challenge request does not automatically pop up so that duelers can’t troll in this fashion. It acts like the daily chest.
9. You can’t send challenge requests to players who have blocked you (it acts like that player has opted out of challenges).

That’s a lot of work for what only a minority of players would use in the long term.

Well first of, people not wanting another objective inside SPvP was far later, very far later. There was no one not liking the SPvP at first, the objective as fine. It was first a few years later people began to ask for Deathmatches in SPvP, because they did find the maps and game mode very repetitive. This happened after people “broke” the game and created guilds to fight other guilds from other servers that they were not meant to be able to, only way done was either already knowing the enemy in WvW was blocking, writing name, unblock and then whisper.

And this is where the main event comes in “To Much Resources Needed, Not Worth It” arguments.
There have already been several responses to this, we do not know how much resources is needed, but a lot of people guess that it would not be that much. We have several places witnessed that they can change you from normal green to foe, both in GH, this new map in Heart of the Mists, and even Living World Events like https://youtu.be/pch59ybwHa8?t=826

Coming to a conclusion by your own that it would require to much resources, is like me saying that it is already there, they just do not decide to activate it for 2 players to fight…..We simply do not know, and creating reason behind something you really have 0 idea about is literally not an argument of why not, or why they should do it, it is a theory. if you had just some idea, a hint of an idea how much time is required, then I would start to favor your thoughts, but this is just a moot argument that is unnecessary to ever take up for any reason or any other thread…..literally ever. Using the I can honestly not take this lightly, using that argument should never be a thing, it is literally like saying that you do not know if it takes a day, week or month, but you would rather want them not to use any time on small things ever, no matter how much they benefit the people, afk people etc, because you want that thing that takes years to make.

seems very restrictive, as in any other game I have personally ever played with a duel system………Any of your request does simply not happen, seems as if you are confusing duels with open world PvP.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

The kitten do you mean fast enough? As soon as u get hit the duel is over and u get back to normal. It’s really not a complicated system at all. I dont know what kind of scenarios are you picturing in your head but its rly baffling. Ppl are not gonna start to duel mid event, ppl are not gonna duel mid leather farm, ppl are not gonna duel mid meta event.

Ppl will duel because they are in a group or with some firends and they will be “hey lets duel” so instead of going throught all the struggle of going to the arena and leaving what you are doing just for a quick duel they can just do it there, and i really fail to see how that will affect ANYTHING in PvE.

This^
I honestly do not get it, people are creating scenarios over and over again, that simply do not happen in any other game, I have never seen people run after you to duel, I have seen people ganking in open world, but it simply seems like people are confusing the 2 game modes? I honestly do not know, but it is sometimes really frustrating to respond to a message where as the scenario truly never, or very, very rarely would happen. Like once per year or 3 years.
It is almost literally like box of fun in tequatle, people did not come to tequatle to fight each other with box of fun, it is for fun, when tequatle come, people stop fighting because they came to kill tequatle. The same effect duel have, and even if you are super super unlucky, like half a year stuff of doing tequatle everyday, 2 people might still be fighting even doing teq, but there will still be a lot more afking…..It is quiet frustrating to answer like this, because these arguments are not fair in anyway, it is like I have to explain the situation of reality in other games, even though people are most likely fully aware of how the situation is with dueling.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

This^
I honestly do not get it, people are creating scenarios over and over again, that simply do not happen in any other game, I have never seen people run after you to duel, I have seen people ganking in open world, but it simply seems like people are confusing the 2 game modes? I honestly do not know, but it is sometimes really frustrating to respond to a message where as the scenario truly never, or very, very rarely would happen. Like once per year or 3 years.
It is almost literally like box of fun in tequatle, people did not come to tequatle to fight each other with box of fun, it is for fun, when tequatle come, people stop fighting because they came to kill tequatle. The same effect duel have, and even if you are super super unlucky, like half a year stuff of doing tequatle everyday, 2 people might still be fighting even doing teq, but there will still be a lot more afking…..It is quiet frustrating to answer like this, because these arguments are not fair in anyway, it is like I have to explain the situation of reality in other games, even though people are most likely fully aware of how the situation is with dueling.

Anybody who disagrees with you is creating a scenario that never happened, you say this over and over again, doesnt mean you are correct. Im against dueling because ive played games with dueling, and ive seen both the good and the bad that comes with it, i dont like the mindset that players seem to get when they can duel, and yes ive been followed by people, and messaged by people because ive refused a duel. Sure you can report them/block them, but by then the damage is done. Id rather keep that vileness in PVP where it belongs, not in the very friendly PVE environment we have now, where it doesnt.

GW2 is popular because it lacks alot of things that people despise MMOS for, ive stuck with it for that very reason, and one of those reasons is the lack of dueling(for me personally), there are many others, one of them was mounts and i lost a little faith in ANET when they announced they where gonna be adding them.

You saying that people make up scenarios that you personally havent seen, doesnt mean they dont happen, and while you havent done it, alot of the people that request dueling, call people who are against cowards, and thats what im against, just the sheer act of being told no, on a request thread warrants being called a coward to them, its childish at best.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Well first of, people not wanting another objective inside SPvP was far later, very far later. There was no one not liking the SPvP at first, the objective as fine. It was first a few years later people began to ask for Deathmatches in SPvP, because they did find the maps and game mode very repetitive. This happened after people “broke” the game and created guilds to fight other guilds from other servers that they were not meant to be able to, only way done was either already knowing the enemy in WvW was blocking, writing name, unblock and then whisper.

And this is where the main event comes in “To Much Resources Needed, Not Worth It” arguments.
There have already been several responses to this, we do not know how much resources is needed, but a lot of people guess that it would not be that much. We have several places witnessed that they can change you from normal green to foe, both in GH, this new map in Heart of the Mists, and even Living World Events like https://youtu.be/pch59ybwHa8?t=826

Coming to a conclusion by your own that it would require to much resources, is like me saying that it is already there, they just do not decide to activate it for 2 players to fight…..We simply do not know, and creating reason behind something you really have 0 idea about is literally not an argument of why not, or why they should do it, it is a theory. if you had just some idea, a hint of an idea how much time is required, then I would start to favor your thoughts, but this is just a moot argument that is unnecessary to ever take up for any reason or any other thread…..literally ever. Using the I can honestly not take this lightly, using that argument should never be a thing, it is literally like saying that you do not know if it takes a day, week or month, but you would rather want them not to use any time on small things ever, no matter how much they benefit the people, afk people etc, because you want that thing that takes years to make.

seems very restrictive, as in any other game I have personally ever played with a duel system………Any of your request does simply not happen, seems as if you are confusing duels with open world PvP.

I am not confusing duels with open world PvP.

No, I don’t know how much work it is, but all work they put into the game has to have justification in terms of players they think will use it. I don’t think the number of users that will use it long term justifies the work that would be required to put into it. It’s not like any of the current areas are being used by a lot of people. Those of you who wanted duels in PvE areas really should have used those areas in order to have proof of a large player base that would duel long term. You obviously don’t want to duel enough to use those areas.

And I was referring to putting duels in keeping in mind the extra requirements that I would want to have in place in order to support dueling being added.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Every major MMO that features dueling has an option to ignore duel requests so this is not an excuse.

Their other excuse is “I don’t want duels to clutter my precious Lions Arch!” but they’re the FIRST ONES to fill LA with dumb halloween costume fights.

There’s zero reason not to have dueling in the game. It’s a fun way for friends to test builds against each other while you wait to start a dungeon.

Stop taking the game so seriously. Who cares if people duel near you.

You think people are shaking because they don’t want to participate in something they’re not interested in? Seriously?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Champions Online permits player duels in PvE areas. So does WoW. People occasionally use this feature while waiting for someone to arrive for instances. If you fight where there are mobs, sometimes the mobs get in on the fight. No one complains. The games do not break. And, as zengara said, if one is dueling to pass the time, one stops when the thing waited for in the first place happens.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: ancientoak.4258

ancientoak.4258

1) I play to relax. Not interested in being harrased by underaged anoying players who want to ‘duel’.
2) Can you already see dueling earlier mentionted underage trolls Ruining dynamic events, i can.
3) I play Guildwars (gw1 since 2005, gw 2 since 2012) because its the opposite of all the terrible pro childish behavior and drama Mmo’s.

(edited by ancientoak.4258)

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

If they ever do i would want 2 things
1. A in game setting to auto refuse any dual challenge
2. No Dueling in Towns

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

+1 for dueling! Been requesting it since closed beta!

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Cant see why your health would be restored its not like my health is instantly restored after killing a mob and a new one engage me the second after.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is a good example of what i mean with ‘some people don’t accept no for an answer’.

Instead of advocating your case by sticking to the pro’s of dueling and even come up with solutions that could contribute to it, you resort to kitten on the motives of people who are against it.

Imma go frightenedly sit in a corner now and shake for a bit while i await your reply

This is the very example of why I don’t want to see it in the game tbh. This need to insult, or atack personally someone with a different opinion

I was never scared of duel requests or dueling, though I thought they were a waste of time.

However in the past, the people who I knew who were into dueling, by and large, were people I had no interest in playing with. They don’t share my interests. They don’t build my community.

However many of those same people from my past are good at trolling and insulting. Now I’m not saying that people that what it in this game or this thread are like that. I am saying that it will have an affect on the direction of the community whether those who are pro believe it or not.

The more features you put in PvE that are competitive, the more likely more competitive people will spend time in PvE, and this game was designed with cooperative not competitive PvE

Every time a competitive element goes into PvE, like competing for things to pick up at certain dynamic events, the community has something to say about it.

This isn’t just some blind fear of someone asking me to duel. This is an active solution to keeping the game moving in the direction that most appeals to me, just as those pro dueling are trying to keep the game moving in the direction that appeals to them.

We all have that right.

But when you start taking personal pot shots at people, or say they’re scared, just because they disagree with you, you’re treading pretty close to breaking forum rules.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

This is the very example of why I don’t want to see it in the game tbh. This need to insult, or atack personally someone with a different opinion

I was never scared of duel requests or dueling, though I thought they were a waste of time.

However in the past, the people who I knew who were into dueling, by and large, were people I had no interest in playing with. They don’t share my interests. They don’t build my community.

However many of those same people from my past are good at trolling and insulting. Now I’m not saying that people that what it in this game or this thread are like that. I am saying that it will have an affect on the direction of the community whether those who are pro believe it or not.

The more features you put in PvE that are competitive, the more likely more competitive people will spend time in PvE, and this game was designed with cooperative not competitive PvE

Every time a competitive element goes into PvE, like competing for things to pick up at certain dynamic events, the community has something to say about it.

This isn’t just some blind fear of someone asking me to duel. This is an active solution to keeping the game moving in the direction that most appeals to me, just as those pro dueling are trying to keep the game moving in the direction that appeals to them.

We all have that right.

But when you start taking personal pot shots at people, or say they’re scared, just because they disagree with you, you’re treading pretty close to breaking forum rules.

100% agree. This is exactly why most don’t want dueling in PvE. Some advocates exemplify the most negative aspects of MMO simply because they can’t have their way. (besides completely ignoring past posts why the dev won’t do it).

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Champions Online permits player duels in PvE areas. So does WoW. People occasionally use this feature while waiting for someone to arrive for instances. If you fight where there are mobs, sometimes the mobs get in on the fight. No one complains. The games do not break. And, as zengara said, if one is dueling to pass the time, one stops when the thing waited for in the first place happens.

Sorry, but, in the games I played that had dueling, all I heard in was salty smack talk on map chat while I was trying to enjoy mindlessly killing mobs, not my idea of a fun night.

While I am sure that some people used it responsibility, the ones that won’t will ruin it for everyone.

Also, sPvP offers full leveling, access to skills, weapons and abilities to make the fights as fair a possible, all Dueling would offer, would be to make the fights as unbalanced as possible, as such I cannot think of a single advantage that dueling in PvE zones would provide.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

6 years in, and the lyrics haven’t changed. lol.

player 1: “I want dueling”
player 2: “I don’t”
player 1: “why?”
player 2: -provides any one of a number of valid reasons ranging from personal experience to in game mechanics issues that would require a large amount of dev time and potentially be damaging to the game
player 1: resorts to behavior that is a perfect example of why most don’t want duels.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

if there is an option to auto reject duel request without notice popping up that require you to answer everytime, well, i don’t see any problem with implementing duel request…

otherwise, for now, pls duel in guild arena….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess we now know where dueling belongs: in the PvP areas.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Omgaar.8735

Omgaar.8735

So here we have a proponent of dueling calling other people’s opinion’s childisih I’m sure I’m not the only one who sees the irony.

I’m not calling you childish for wanting to duel.

I see the irony alright. It’s quite hilarious.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

This^

Anybody who disagrees with you is creating a scenario that never happened, you say this over and over again, doesnt mean you are correct. Im against dueling because ive played games with dueling, and ive seen both the good and the bad that comes with it, i dont like the mindset that players seem to get when they can duel, and yes ive been followed by people, and messaged by people because ive refused a duel. Sure you can report them/block them, but by then the damage is done. Id rather keep that vileness in PVP where it belongs, not in the very friendly PVE environment we have now, where it doesnt.

GW2 is popular because it lacks alot of things that people despise MMOS for, ive stuck with it for that very reason, and one of those reasons is the lack of dueling(for me personally), there are many others, one of them was mounts and i lost a little faith in ANET when they announced they where gonna be adding them.

You saying that people make up scenarios that you personally havent seen, doesnt mean they dont happen, and while you havent done it, alot of the people that request dueling, call people who are against cowards, and thats what im against, just the sheer act of being told no, on a request thread warrants being called a coward to them, its childish at best.

As mentioned before. I am sad to hear that people do follow you for duels. I have just never personally experienced this fact. I have seen people follow others because they want to gank, or because the game does provide open world PvP, so trying to kill another person is a way to go about it when bored……And again I hate open world PvP, WvW is a system where the designers created it to only be about fighting others, where there arent a heart you have to do, and I very much like that, nobody goes into WvW believing otherwise.
But I have just not personally ever experienced a person really wanting me to duel if I am just walking by or crafting some gems (another game) If they do ask for a duel (not open world PvP, where safe zones are created, but an actual duel in a city or afk kinda of place) It is simply because I literally stand on the duel place.

Maybe we just have different ideas, I do believe that it will be in the beggining hectic, people will run around asking for duels because its new (like any other new thing added to the game, people do jump on it) but because of no reward, I can say it will be like the open pvp in the new Heart of the Mist, people will calm down and then only 5 or less players will be standing there, fighting a bit 1v1 and calmly.

It does sound to me like you believe that there will be at least 20%+ people standing around in every city asking for duels all around places, and asking people who are just making gear or afking in the city, or even follow along in the meta maps and asking for duels.

That is where I have a very different ideology in the matter, for me that would literally not make sense without an open world PvP, where people can gank you etc, which again I really, really do not want to be implemented in the game since wvw is already a thing.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

I am not confusing duels with open world PvP.

No, I don’t know how much work it is, but all work they put into the game has to have justification in terms of players they think will use it. I don’t think the number of users that will use it long term justifies the work that would be required to put into it. It’s not like any of the current areas are being used by a lot of people. Those of you who wanted duels in PvE areas really should have used those areas in order to have proof of a large player base that would duel long term. You obviously don’t want to duel enough to use those areas.

And I was referring to putting duels in keeping in mind the extra requirements that I would want to have in place in order to support dueling being added.

I am sorry, but personally I can not accept this thought process. You have no idea if it might only take 1 day (obviously extreme scenario……I think, honestly could be…idk) to create a link between 2 people so they see can fight, and maybe a count down on the screen……the whole being able to see opponent as explained have already been there in pve in living story, hearts etc……but you still believe that it wont need it? At least 20+ people roam WvW everyday, the new Heart of the mist all arena place where you literally just fight always got at least 5 people in it.

And most importantly of all, I never said this would be huge, and important aspect of the game. as mentioned, it is one of those small things that would improve the game, since people do sometimes want to duel, and creating a duel system if you are bored perhaps a few times per day/week, or even a few times per month would make it more accessible and easier. Like everything else in the game.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

So here we have a proponent of dueling calling other people’s opinion’s childisih I’m sure I’m not the only one who sees the irony.

I’m not calling you childish for wanting to duel.

I see the irony alright. It’s quite hilarious.

sorry, but you should probably quote my answer to this, or at the very least, his whole answer:

“Sorry to say, but you are touching on a subject and adding a perspective to the argument that was never there. I have explained this countless of times, but I did not target anyone by this comment, it was intended to some of the posts that I read in the link that was provided to me, where people did create rather weird scenarios that I have never heard about, or mentioning that it is only fair, if we put massive bosses and roam around SPvP, while there are already minions “bosses” in SPvP that do normaly count for a major portion of the points you can get.
I repeat, I did not call any particular person(s) argument childish, and I have not mentioned who it might be, and I have not made a direct corelation between my comment and the comment from the link as mentioned. Nobody will be able to state out whom ive not agreed with……..

….And sorry to say, but if you are making a statement that I should not call other childish you really shouldnt call other peoples kids 2 lines later. Please do restrain yourself from doing that, my comment aswell as your comment, was not targeted towards anyone, I do apologies if anyone is offended, but I did not target any particular person"

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: EbonFreeman.4051

EbonFreeman.4051

I would really like a dueling option. Doing it officially in PvP isn’t much of an option unless you do it in a private arena. Even when we’re in WvW, it requires standing on the side of the middle fort or by the sentry in the alpine. There are no assurances that another group or zerg won’t just walk by and kill one of the players. Even for GvG, we have to go to OS or the guild hall which is kind of annoying.

For me, I don’t like easy fights. I want to fight people on my level. When I’m in WvW, I don’t like pleb farming, it’s just too easy. We have a group of 20 hardcore players just mowing through groups of equal size which was why we made zerg busting. It was “fairer” to be engaged in a 20v40+. Both in PvP and WvW, a lot of the game mode isn’t about fighting, it’s about points per tick (PPT). A person could be a bad fighter as a thief in PvP and still have the Champion Shadow title because they’re great at PPT. Similarly, a WvW player could be a mithril soldier and lose to a bronze invader because they focused more on EOTM/WvW farming and PPT ktrains.

I don’t expect everyone to want to duel, but after talking to my hardcore PvE friends, they said they would want a duel function too. If the average player doesn’t want it then that’s ok, but the hardcore players do. And I don’t see why not. It could be sold as an upgrade in the Gem Store for 800-1500 gems. Allowing people who don’t want, not be annoyed by it. ANET makes money on it. The more combat oriented players gain an opportunity to play around and also introduce it to newer players.

In terms of actual duel mechanics, I wouldn’t want a pop up “<Player_X> has challenged you to a duel, do you accept?” and some yes/no boxes. The reason is that they can spam it and it detracts (me) from immersion. In WvW, we use the /bow emote. It would be more immersive and less intrusive if duels had a /bow @ or /duel command. If the other player doesn’t use the /bow @ back within 30 seconds, within 1500 units, and within an objective then the duel has been automatically refused. When the other player has accepted the duel both players are immune to damage/healing from other players, do not gain the participation or affect PVP statistics, nor affect event scaling. A duel would end when the player is downed thus removing the issue of WP penalties or within 5 minutes (because of RI timer). Duels offer no reward for winning. Although it would be nice to wager on fights with a Black Lion Referee to hold the money. At the end of the 5 minutes, the player with the most health wins. If a player disconnects, crashes or closes the client while the duel is in the process, the prize pool will be distributed based on ratio to the last amount of health in the exception that the PVP arena or WWW map is shutdown.

When inside a city, dueling should only take place at specific location. It is annoying enough to listen to people using the tomes of knowledge by the LA bank or TP agent (which is why I always recommend people buy the Mistlock Sanctuary Pass).

PS. Why isn’t there a consume all to level 80 button for tomes of knowledge?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I dont want people spamming me dual messages in PvE.

The same way gold causes people to spam begging messages. So, should ANet remove gold because I am worried about people begging at me for gold?

I had 8 messages from gold beggars this week. Map chat was full of gold beggars looking to complete their “legendary.”

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Elementalist Owner.7802

Elementalist Owner.7802

Duelling in GW2 is rock paper scissors unless you’re playing the exact same build.

The Art of Roaming [gank]

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Duelists are most toxic community in any game. They beat easily some pve elitists niches.

It is easy for Anet to implement mechanically, what will be expensive for them is to manage the collateral damage from toxicity. Players mocking players making videos on youtube about the losers, tickets asking to punish players, etc.

It is no coincidence that in WvW the duelists are the most dedicated trash-talkers in team chat.

When I command on WvW, i always run over the duelists with zerg, theres no place for little big egos on cooperative game-modes.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

The proposition is nice but here is the problem. How does one solve the issue that, in PvE, all skills and passive traits are somehow shared amongst all the players around you ?

WvW is the only place where that issue is somewhat solved in terms of open world content. But even then it is not a true competitive environment since the duels occurring there can only happen between opposing servers.

And the thing is, there is no way that closed servers (like in the beginning of the game) can happen again because the PvE game mode needs the megaservers for the metas and other events to be run successfully.

The closest dueling aspect you could have in PvE is this: PvP arenas in cities kind of like in GW1, which is basically guild halls arenas in GW2. There is just no way that the OP will get rid of loading screens.