+1 Please add native gamepad support

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

My ‘game box’ setup is attached to a big screen plasma and surround sound receiver in my living room. Almost all games I play are in Stereoscopic 3D while relaxing in my easy chair.

There are two slight issues with the “easy chair” setup:

1. While I have a lap table for a wireless keyboard/mouse its rather uncomfortable to use and normally I steer my game purchases to titles that have native X360 game pad support. (BTW: this is my 1st MMO)

2. I simply can’t see/find the keys on the keyboard with my shutter glasses on. I constantly am reaching and lifting them slightly to see where the AWD keys are. I’ve been “steering” mostly with the “A” and “D” keys along with the 4 arrow keys . Using the AWD and the RMB/Mouse to move around is…. well it sucks.

I know others have had some success with after market programs like ‘xpadder’ and the like (the Pinicle profile I tried did not work well for me) which shows that the game is indeed playable with game pad, the interface is just not designed for it.

Rumors of the game being ported to consoles gives me a slight amount of hope that there eventually be native game pad support in the PC version.

BTW: Well done visuals! I really LOVE the way this game looks in Stereoscopic 3D! Its simply AWESOME! Great immersion!

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Its a MMO. MMOs arent meant to be played with game pad.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

FFXI was an MMO. And you had to use a game pad or be noticably kitten. ArenaNet said this game would address all types of gamers from hardcore to casual gamers(like OP). I personally prefer k/m but I know others who would rather see it on a gamepad. The only major problem I see with making it on the gamepad is ground targeting but other than that its completely doable.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

This makes no sense. (forgetting of course that PS3&Xbox games do this all the time)

So your saying that since the game is [O]nline a gamepad can’t work? LOL
So your saying that there are [M]ultiplayers a gamepad can’t work? LOL
So your saying that a [M]assive amont of players a gamepad can’t work? LOL

Did I mention your funny?

In all seriousness, please keep the [snob] keyboard/mouse attitude/opinion to yourself. As I mentioned I don’t play sitting at a desk bent over a keyboard/mouse with a screen inches in front of my face. I have to balance a KB/Mouse on my lap and hunt for the keys as I can’t see them in the dark.

I would much rather play with a joystick controller.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Suggestions

Posted by: tomshreds.1745

tomshreds.1745

I’m using xpadder to play with the gamepad and it goes very well. To all of those who thinks there’s a lot of button to bind: hey even freakin’ flight simulator fits on a gamepad!

I usually play with the keyboard/mouse but I like to switch to my gamepad when I’m tired of playing with the mouse on the couch (which is horrible to control from).

Please ANet add gamepad bindings in your bindings panel. It’d would rock for anyone who plays from the couch! Thanks

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

I’m using xpadder to play with the gamepad and it goes very well. To all of those who thinks there’s a lot of button to bind: hey even freakin’ flight simulator fits on a gamepad!

No they don’t. Come back and say that after you’ve tried Falcon 4:BMS and Lock:On.

On topic:

Gamepad support sounds fun, I’d try it only to get a new sense of control and see how it’d be. I’d still use Keyboard and Mouse for main though, as it tends to have an advantage over Gamepad in terms of situational awareness.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

I posted my xpadder profile/setup a while ago in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Joystick/first#post731338

It works very well for me. The only thing that sucks with the gamepad is targeting AOE spells.

Forever posting in legendary threads!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

This makes no sense. (forgetting of course that PS3&Xbox games do this all the time)

Show me a console MMORPG that is not adapted to the PC.

So your saying that since the game is [O]nline a gamepad can’t work? LOL
So your saying that there are [M]ultiplayers a gamepad can’t work? LOL
So your saying that a [M]assive amont of players a gamepad can’t work? LOL

Did I mention your funny?

Oh come on, you’re playing semantics?

The game is designed around a keyboard-and-mouse setup. Simple as that. Majority of all MMORPGs are designed around a keyboard-and-mouse setup simply because they have a crapton of hotkeys or skills that you have to use and it’s just not feasible to put them all on a gaming pad.

PS3 controller has 2 sticks, 4 arrows, the X-Circle-Triangle-Square buttons, four shoulder buttons, select and start. That’s a total of 16 keys. To realistically play GW2, you need at least 20. And that’s if you’re playing a profession like Warrior, that only requires 1 key for the professional mechanic. And that doesn’t cover convenience things like autorunning, Shift, Ctrl or the toggle for chat window background.

Not to mention that the game doesn’t have a native virtual keyboard. Even if it did, typing would be a mess.

In all seriousness, please keep the [snob] keyboard/mouse attitude/opinion to yourself. As I mentioned I don’t play sitting at a desk bent over a keyboard/mouse with a screen inches in front of my face. I have to balance a KB/Mouse on my lap and hunt for the keys as I can’t see them in the dark.

Two things that you could consider:

1. USB extension cable for your keyboard
  2. Backlit keyboards, such as Logitech Wireless Illuminated or Razer Black Widow or Logitech G510 or Logitech G19 or Logitech G110 or Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

You have abundant choices of backlit keyboards, some of them even being wireless. Not really a proper excuse. Personally I got a Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erthrak.4039

Erthrak.4039

I use a Razor gamepad, and although I wish it had a few more buttons, I do very well with it. I cut out and glued something I could feel for the up, Left/Right buttons, as well as the all-important Heal button and I can orient myself around that very well. I have a wireless keyboard for typing, and the built-in bumps on the F and J are good enough for me on that. It’s not perfect, but I like it. I have played MMO’s in the past, and used 1-0, wasd, and never liked it, always had to look at the keyboard to hit the right numbers.

Vral Grymfang, Vrelen Human, Treland Riverheart, Leif Dragonbourne.
[iLL]usion

(edited by Erthrak.4039)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

The game plays well with combat mode, if that system could be adopted to a game pad, it should work remarkably well, heck, I’d try it even know I’m a k/m guy.

Ps: combat mode game pad would also solve the ground targeting issue.

in Suggestions

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

The only problem I see to make some adaptations is people getting kicked in kitten from gamepad players. Gamepad are more versatiles than k/m the buttons are in a more logic way and easyer to acess than on a keyboard. Bind the buttons correctly and you can time your skills with more accuracy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This would not possible in GW1, since you need to select enemies quickly, but gamepads would be usable in GW2…

For melee only. With ranged attacks, you still need targeting, since camera and auto-target are extremely unreliable.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: tomshreds.1745

tomshreds.1745

Thanks for supporting this suggestion. To the one who says that it needs at least 20 buttons, don’t you know about modifier keys? Like in many many games. For example, when you hold left trigger it changes actions for other buttons.

Making it almost the double.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and it does fine, but a game pad is simply another way of making the game more accessible for users. And it needs VERY FEW modifications to implement. There’s tons of great libraries to implement gameplay support for C++

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorpal Smilodon.3025

Vorpal Smilodon.3025

I don’t understand why people get upset – we’d just like to be able to play with a gamepad. Everyone else can continue to use the keyboard and mouse. I personally have a LOT of trouble hitting the 6 through 0 keys, and even more trouble using any skills at all while moving (since the mouse hand is holding rightmouse down and my other hand is using wsad)

This could definately work, as there are programs that almost succeed at adding this functionality to the game already, but because they are third party there are problems such as the mouse moving offscreen and clicking outside of the game or things like that.

Please note I’m only asking for combat support – I’m happy to use the keyboard for everything else, but being able to use a gamepad for combat would be amazing and make the game twice as much fun for me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: archon.7168

archon.7168

You can play TERA with a gamepad.