An option to disable right click targeting

in Suggestions

Posted by: MightyJoeMoon.7463

MightyJoeMoon.7463

It’s absolute madness that this is still in the game. This has gone on for far too long. How many people have to ask for a fix before ArenaNet even begins to listen? So many minor things have been addressed yet this major frustration among players is left alone.

So please ArenaNet, at least acknowledge that this is an issue, even if you are not fixing it yet, it would make a lot of people happier if you said it was in the pipeline at least.

Agreed I don’t even understand how this game made it to market without the ability to uncheck right click targeting. Such an amazing game missing a baseline quality of life feature.

I hate that I’m turning into “one of those guys” but new backpack models? Really Anet?

FIX THIS.

in Suggestions

Posted by: electricity.7682

electricity.7682

Mighty Joe is right, all sorts of unkind descriptors come to mind but to be polite, its just plain dumb. I’ve accidentally killed at least two eagles and countless rabbits because of this…. and since it’s predetermined that I’m supposed to be the good-guy, this kind of behaviour is very unbecoming….

in Suggestions

Posted by: MightyJoeMoon.7463

MightyJoeMoon.7463

Mighty Joe is right, all sorts of unkind descriptors come to mind but to be polite, its just plain dumb. I’ve accidentally killed at least two eagles and countless rabbits because of this…. and since it’s predetermined that I’m supposed to be the good-guy, this kind of behaviour is very unbecoming….

I understand you are trying to bring levity to the situation. I chuckled a bit.

Have you tried fighting a MM Necro and a T Enji up at Keep when you’re all on point? It’s a freaking joke. You can’t mouse turn because your camera zooms in and out and your entire screen is filled with clickable targets.

Heck even when you are fighting anywhere in the open its a pain against any prof that puts down pets…aka almost every one in the game.

Bottom line is that its a simple thing that should have been fixed long ago that causes a ton of frustration for a large part of the player base. Many newer players think that the targeting is just “buggy” in GW2 and chalk it up to random switching of targets. The reality is that they just tried to turn and they mouse clicked another target unknowingly.

It’s time that this is fixed. New content. Fantastic. New adjustments/options to PvP. Great.

Now add a feature that should have been there from day one Alpha.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mazinger.1084

Mazinger.1084

I’m thinking this is a bug and not some intentional targeting mechanic, as this whole thing is new to me and I’ve been playing since launch. Until recently I was a mostly PvE player but have started getting into more WvW with my guild. I played several hours last night and noticed this issue towards the end of my session. It’s since carried over into PvE and I know for certain it wasn’t like this before. ArenaNet really needs to fix this because the game has just gotten way more frustrating and I can’t really see myself playing with this issue much longer. I don’t know how some of you guys have lasted this long.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Boryzz.6352

Boryzz.6352

I would love to be able to lock the camera on cursor, so there would be like a crosshair in the middle of the screen, so moving the cursor will automatically move the camera (like in FPS games), and whatever I cast will be casted on mob or person that was closest to that crosshair. After that, you could make it possible to bind something else to right mouse button, I’d love to bind my dodge button there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I call this a bug

Why would you have target and camera move on the same button is beyond me

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ballzz.4510

Ballzz.4510

Adding to the cacophony on this issue. Yet another inexplicable problem that is not being addressed by Anet. This has been driving me nuts since the game launched. Between this issue and being suppressed in chat for “excessive messages” for no apparent reason it’s really adversely affecting the enjoyment of the game.

Much of this game they got right but there are a few issues that are just perplexing as to why they don’t fix or at least acknowledge them. Do something or at least say something!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Noble.3647

Noble.3647

It makes NO SENSE for the button that ArenaNet has assigned to Turn your View also be the SAME one that Selects Targets. Who was the sadist who decided on this?

PLEASE Allow those of us who DO NOT WANT to Target with a Right-Click to disable this feature, as it is a major pain in the kitten It is very frustrating in pve, but it is a deadly pandemic in PvP & WvW!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but this was not always a problem – meaning it is a feature that was recently added (within the past few months).

in Suggestions

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Wow I completely missed this issue until the thread popped up again today. Is this why I’m constantly losing target on everything? I use the mouse to move and am always pressing the right mouse button.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

Correct me if I am wrong, but this was not always a problem – meaning it is a feature that was recently added (within the past few months).

I’m correcting you for the obvious reason that his thread is over 5 months old.

Forever posting in legendary threads!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aralon.7501

Aralon.7501

Please fix this.

Aralon Mors – Norn Hybrid Necro
Aralon Scutum – Charr Healing Guardian
Far Shiverpeaks! – Guild of Tweakers [GoT]

in Suggestions

Posted by: silleke.3069

silleke.3069

I’d love to see a fix to this ‘problem’

It’s one of those little things that sometimes keeps you from truely enjoying this epic game.

Please ANET, give us an option to disable target swtiching on right click

Thanks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Derelyk.2719

Derelyk.2719

agreed, needs fixed…

Lizsy Borden (wvw): Darkhaven

in Suggestions

Posted by: fatjax.8479

fatjax.8479

yeah Anet, hook us up with a toggle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: codiac.5642

codiac.5642

No toggle, just remove it, it’s ludicrous.

HOD since beta

in Suggestions

Posted by: Boryzz.6352

Boryzz.6352

Actually, having something like “right mouse button always pressed” on toggle would make me really happy =)

in Suggestions

Posted by: ChocoCee.7243

ChocoCee.7243

Arenanet……. Fix it please

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cesa.6190

Cesa.6190

Any word from the developers on this? I’d love to be able to disable it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ruufio.1496

Ruufio.1496

Could we have this fixed soon? It’s really annoying.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ianifique.4962

ianifique.4962

Plz yes fix this, im constanly activating objects when i don’t want to and attacking too! I only want to rotate the bloody camera!
One of my best examples of what happened: I dropped lava on the ground before the fractal boss (dredge fractal) was there because I wanted to rotate view and I often click not too far away from my character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Wow I completely missed this issue until the thread popped up again today. Is this why I’m constantly losing target on everything? I use the mouse to move and am always pressing the right mouse button.

Yep, this would be the problem.

:( Please fix this, pretty please!

in Suggestions

Posted by: J heazy.7214

J heazy.7214

I would also like to see this gone. WvW it is nearly impossible to reliably target someone in any decent sized fight where you need to stay on the move.

[STUN] Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Relic.7148

Relic.7148

Forget right-click targeting, first let me deselect my target.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MarcusKilgannon.5048

MarcusKilgannon.5048

kitten Arenanet. seriously?! Can you not address this thread? 6 pages over 200 replies, let’s get a response on the major interface issues!

(edited by MarcusKilgannon.5048)

in Suggestions

RoShamBo.2618

Forget right-click targeting, first let me deselect my target.

What exactly are you talking about here?

This thread is about the issues caused by the fact that you can target/start auto-attack/activate with the right mouse button (when you don’t actually want to) while you are panning the camera to look round. With this in mind we definitely do not want to forget right-click targeting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Emmiere.1058

Emmiere.1058

I would love to see right-click targeting gone. I’ve lost countless targets because I just want to move my camera. Sometimes it results in my death. Every time I lose a target by moving my camera, the game loses of bit of its appeal.

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkconsole.1720

darkconsole.1720

one of the top most annoying things with this game is how hard it is to get them to respond to and deal with the stupid things. like the camera move button targeting crap.

in Suggestions

RoShamBo.2618

Is the lack of meaningful response from the game developers in this thread and on this issue because they are genuinely not yet aware of it?

Or…

Is the lack of response down to a lack of respect towards paid/paying customers who have legitimate concerns about the product they paid for and are looking for some answers?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MarcusKilgannon.5048

MarcusKilgannon.5048

one of the top most annoying things with this game is how hard it is to get them to respond to and deal with the stupid things. like the camera move button targeting crap.

this needs fixing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

My theory is they outsourced the game engine. They have no one on staff that can fix the problem. Same reason the camera spazes out when you are near a wall, and there is no first person view.

in Suggestions

RoShamBo.2618

My theory is they outsourced the game engine. They have no one on staff that can fix the problem. Same reason the camera spazes out when you are near a wall, and there is no first person view.

If this was true it may not be an issue depending on the support contract that exists between ArenaNet and the 3rd party developer. Not having someone in the company that can maintain their product would be commercial suicide If it were also the case that no support contract existed!

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Well, whatever the cause of the delay, it needs to be fixed. This is as close to a game breaking bug as I’ve ever seen. Almost all defeats in PvE can be attributed to the loss of target at a critical moment and it’s always due to the right-clicking nonsense.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fuerte.4692

Fuerte.4692

Can we have this fixed ASAP please. :-)

in Suggestions

Faux Play.6104

I’ve never heard of an agreement with a 3rd party developer where they make updates for free. I’m sure they would argue that the right click target was not an error and charge up the wazoo to fix it. Same with first person view “that was not in the spec”.

If this was true it may not be an issue depending on the support contract that exists between ArenaNet and the 3rd party developer. Not having someone in the company that can maintain their product would be commercial suicide If it were also the case that no support contract existed!

in Suggestions

RoShamBo.2618

I’ve never heard of an agreement with a 3rd party developer where they make updates for free. I’m sure they would argue that the right click target was not an error and charge up the wazoo to fix it. Same with first person view “that was not in the spec”.

As I stated it would all depend on the terms of the support contract and the definition of what constitutes an update vs a fix. ‘Not in the spec’ vs ‘Not working as required’ usually proves to be a very subjective argument. All of this is completely speculative anyway. What’s needed is for ArenaNet to get their fingers out of their kittens and actually tell us what the hell is going on here.

On preview I have to say that getting their ‘fingers out of their kittens’ probably reads worse than what I actually said. Someone call the RSPCA!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZeRen.7265

ZeRen.7265

well well, this game was released six month ago, and still no change
It´s very likely they never fix this, but I find another way, some player made “GW2 combat mod” and I using it almost month and working great

for find use Google (write GW2 combat mod)
this mod has one bad thing ,when you use default option, you are not able to target what you want, if foes are in group( you always targeted nearest foe to your cursor)

becouse this is good bind “next/previous” target on mouse wheel(in mod customize), “nearest target” and by “lock autotarget” you will lose target

This mod is only one thing still keep me in this game, so I dont care if I´ll get ban

P.S. mod can be anywhere in disk

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

for Anet: GJ you ruined great and fun Ascalon catacombs, continue and you will ruin this game completely

players financing this game, start doing what they want! in this forum is many good ideas

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Please fix this quickly Anet. You have no idea how annoying this is!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrt.2498

Marrt.2498

Why are they still ignoring this problem? So much pleasing talk ffrom the designers before release and yet they can’t even fix this stupid annoyance or introduce FOV-Sliders… ’the hell is wrong with developers these days?

in Suggestions

Faux Play.6104

The only logical explanation is they don’t have the ability to make changes to the game engine. It was like the game took a step back several years to a time when people couldn’t customize the user interface.

Why are they still ignoring this problem? So much pleasing talk ffrom the designers before release and yet they can’t even fix this stupid annoyance or introduce FOV-Sliders… ’the hell is wrong with developers these days?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The only logical explanation is they don’t have the ability to make changes to the game engine. It was like the game took a step back several years to a time when people couldn’t customize the user interface.

[…]

That would be absurd.

Their engine is custom-made, and they have already done changes to it.

A possible explanation could be them trying other possible solutions to control problems and wanting to roll them out at the same time.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Faux Play.6104

I read through their game updates and there wasn’t a single metion of any change dealing with the graphic engine. The only changes they have made are related to skill balancing, skinning, level/dungeon design and server related issues like culling. There are several well known issues since beta that haven’t been fixed with the graphics engine. This is one, no first person view is another, and glitchy camera mechanics near walls and on tall characters inside is another. These are the only reasons I can think of that could cause them to not address these issues.

1) They can’t fix it
2) They don’t know about it.
3) They don’t care / not a priority.

Number 2 can’t be the issue. 3 could be it, but all these issues have a negative impact on game play especially if you want to have a game with a competitive PvP environment.

[…]

That would be absurd.

Their engine is custom-made, and they have already done changes to it.

A possible explanation could be them trying other possible solutions to control problems and wanting to roll them out at the same time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrt.2498

Marrt.2498

This is my list for GW2

Problem: RightClick Targeting toggle
cannot be bound to the game engine core (why would it), so arenanet is just being ignorant in this case
-unjustified imho

Problem: FieldOfView
has been addressed by increasing it a bit. But still i want a slider since it is a PC-GAME! where people sit in different distancesin front of the screen (just look at the borderlands 2 video options, this is the reference). The choice was justified by arenanet with: the game would run slow, fov would give an advantage and the like
-unjustified imho, additionaly it completely destroys the epic design of the game, wooow look at that epic floor tiles in rata sum, ingenious, wooow orr has some really kick kitten floor tiles, kitten the floor tiles of this epic skyscratching castle..u get the point
(and also it very disappointed, Arenanet)

Problem: no first person view
Design choice, if you character travels across the map it changes altitude very instantaneous (bumpy map & jumps). First person mode would look strange if they put in enough smoothing to compensate for that. FirstPersonSmoothing is a challenge of its own and if they would implement it they would want to make it look smooth including the camera shakes when running or hit(check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0v0kTWH7w)
GW1 had a first person mode which was never used but they didn’t had jumps back then
-somehow justified, i believe they know how few people used firstperson in GW1 but didn’t understand that GW1 was completely different. GW2 would benefit

Problem: glitchy camera mechanics near walls and on tall characters inside is another
Design choice, if they would allow the camera to go through walls (which is no real problem in terms of game engine) people could see through the bottomless maps and the game would look ugly
-partly justified, there is no real solution for this problem without allowing the camera to go through walls – which cannot be done since it would brake the visuals BUT!: They can kittenIN remove small trees and fences from the cameracollider

It just sucks that these problems are all there without a response from arenanet… YAY, wintersday and halloween but where the kitten is our rightclick-targeting-toggle. I don’t care about gay festivals as long as the core is broken

TL;DR:
ArenaNet, I am disappoint

(edited by Marrt.2498)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patu.9827

Patu.9827

Thank you, this thread is online again!

Ty RoShamBo and others, who made a complain about this, when this was locked.

This issue still exist, and it is still as annoying as it has been from the beginning.

Im tired of this. I cant believe why this kind of thing is in the game. Why to keep controls very undone.

Still playing this game, but cant enjoy this as much i could.

Vaka Patu – Warrior – [TLA]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

This is my list for GW2

Problem: RightClick Targeting toggle

Problem: FieldOfView

Problem: no first person view

Problem: glitchy camera mechanics near walls and on tall characters inside is another

ArenaNet, I am disappoint

^ This.

GW2 has too much shoddy programming. Including the fact that customer service apparently does not have the tools necessary to perform reimbursements. But at least that does not affect every day gameplay like the items listed above.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carlie.3869

Carlie.3869

I’ve been annoyed with the RightClick targeting in this game since day one, I noticed it right away and was puzzled by the fact there was no option to disable and/or re-bind it.

Over time though, I’ve gotten sort of used to playing with it, albeit this workaround-gameplay makes the game a bit more tedious and requires a bit more effort:

- Try to always be in a group, even with offline people
- Bind your “Take Target” key (default T) to something more accessible (Q in my case)
- Bind your “Call Target” key (default Ctrl-T) to something more accessible (C in my case)
- Call target on whatever you’re attacking (unless you’re in an actual group together)
- Mash the “Take Target” key vigorously on every occasion you get during combat
- Pray nobody in your party marks another target

Kind of works.
Not sure why the devs consider this to be enjoyable though.

(edited by Carlie.3869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: nimchip.3420

nimchip.3420

This has been driving me nuts since day one. Please make it happen.

in Suggestions

RoShamBo.2618

I had high hopes for this game. I still think it could be great once it’s actually finished and fit for purpose but I’m done with wasting my time for now. I’ll check back in from time to time to see what’s happening. Maybe in 6 months or so it might become the game we hoped it would but based on the first 6 months I’m not convinced

Might see some of you in Defiance. I hope that game doesn’t disappoint the way GW2 has.

Over and out!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reaper.6253

Reaper.6253

I hope we will see this option in today’s patch!
It’s extremely annoying and destroys the flowing gameplay.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I spend several minutes left clicking one of the Maw’s huge tentacles, selecting everything in a wide range around it without ever selecting the tentacle. I was directly clicking on the thing, but eventually it was dead before I could get the darn thing to be selected. What is with the target selection in this game? Why is it that huge enemies or objects are almost impossible to select?

And again with the right click targeting. I was fighting the Grawl Shaman in Fractals. I prepare to throw a rock at him, and just as I throw it the game selects a target off to the side, and I see that rock fly sideways. Same with the Maw. I prepare to throw a crystal… the game selects something else just as I throw it. ARGH!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kitedyou.1720

Kitedyou.1720

We, the player base, MUST keep this thread alive!!!

This is one of those incredibly annoying things that should be pretty simple to fix.

The Dev’s post is many months old; time for an update and fix!!

Sea of Sorrows
Tjegra: 80 Norn Necromancer
Mefitic: OTW to 80 Asura Necromancer