An option to disable right click targeting

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pantsdragon.5703

Pantsdragon.5703

+1 to OP, I feel that any inconvenience in controls like this should be fixed to make a game experience that flows smoother.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

I did not see any mention of it being fixed on the fix notes, though I have not been in game to see if its sneakily made it in.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patu.9827

Patu.9827

It is a saddest thing that this issue still is here, there and everywhere. Right click issue still follows you wherever you go. Missclicks, wrong targets. Annoying. Unstable controlling. Strange happenings. Deaths. Annoying x 100.

Why, and why, asked a hundred times.

Controls should be number one thing to fix.

Controls sucks in GW2. Sad but true, and seems like Anet does nothing. Very strange.

Vaka Patu – Warrior – [TLA]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

Rise and fix this!!! When Anet When?? Here is the part I do not get, GW1 had some pretty kitten good targetting. Why on this earth, would you abandon that? Where did this unholy RMB clicking made it into the game? Fix it already!

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Got me again today, fighting the champion cave troll. Needed to turn to face it so one of my annoying LOS attacks was usable. Ended up right clicking on a completely innocuous grub sitting there minding its own business and ran straight into the wall. How this can be considered anything but a bug is beyond me. It’s the single most annoying thing I have EVER seen in any game.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I also support this thread. Its really annoying to constantly loose targets because of that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Suggestions

Cardstar.1963

Agreed, admin please move this thread to bugs

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Wow 7 months this “bug” has been in the game and there still isnt an option for right click target disabling.
I am dumbfounded

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Agreed, admin please move this thread to bugs

It is not a bug as it’s working as intended. The game just has no way to diferenciate between a very fast click and a very fast camera move, as there must be a leeway for movement when licking so you can click something without stopping completely the mouse in a game with such a fast paced combat as guild wars.

Not everyone uses the controls the same, and so the best option to solve the issue is adding the feature of an option to disable selection and activation with the right mouse button.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Same issues again today. I didn’t even turn the camera, but before throwing a crystal at the maw, it changed target, and I aggroed something I did not plan on picking a fight with. And one crystal wasted. One of my guildies had the same thing.

At the Temple of Grenth, all the clicking in the world would not select the Risen Priest of Grenth. And since this battle involves quite a bit of dodging, you don’t have much time to click things. So I selected everything around the priest. Every spider and shade, even things that weren’t even remotely near where I was clicking.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheKittyBro.3071

TheKittyBro.3071

I agree wholeheartedly.

This is an issue which should have been fixed a long time ago.

Time and time again i have lost my target through the simple act of trying to turn my camera around. This can be especially aggravating when facing a boss and trying to interrupt its big hits. I do not mind dying to a strong enemy, but when the reason for my (or my teammates) death is something this banal, it really takes away from my ability to enjoy the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: melchapp.5917

melchapp.5917

Found this and suddenly all my problems with this game make perfect sense. All times I apologize to my boyfriend for the moa that’s now attacking him because I’m targetting anything that moves in the area. Or every time I’ve lost my downed target in a mob in pvp. All those fond memories of wasting signets on rats. I always thought it was just me.

They should really fix this but at least now I can compensate.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Why is this still an issue?

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

It would seem that it takes quite some time to put code into the game and change the ui so that right click targeting is toggle able.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

+1000 to this for a millionth time. It’s major pain in the butt as 99,9% of the time I lose my target when I change the camera angle or when playing as a thief I waste unload to my ally instead of the enemy.

“Target closest enemy” option should be fixed, too, as it seems to target the furthest neutral enemy at the moment… it’s more like free over-agro button now.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

My god 7+ months to allow a single key to be bound differently? With all the bindings they have on the options menu no wonder it took soo long to produce the game.

It would seem that it takes quite some time to put code into the game and change the ui so that right click targeting is toggle able.

in Suggestions

Posted by: devaking.2397

devaking.2397

rofl, im so glad more people are saying something about this, its really really really irritating.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

About time we had some word on this. Is it a bug or is it working as intended?
I really hope it wasn’t designed like this. There’s a reason operating systems (and machinery!) don’t use the same controls for multiple purposes – it simply doesn’t work!

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

This game is about moving around but the more you do the more you screw yourself over. Can we get a answer please?

All is vain.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

I to would like this to be fixed, it is a real big pain to target something else everytime you move your camera.

SAB or RIOT

in Suggestions

Posted by: shockelite.1602

shockelite.1602

+1 Please add an option to disable right click targeting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Our development team reviews play input on a regular basis. They are aware of this suggestion, but have not yet reached a decision on what changes, if any, they will make to targeting.

There is a lot going on right now with the upcoming event, but after that, the team will take a look at a lot of different game elements, and may make some changes in the future.

Sorry I don’t have more specific information, but you can be sure this is not being ignored or rejected without due consideration.

Thanks for understanding.

Well that was 5 months ago. The events being mentioned where Winterdays and we are multiple events down the road. A promise was made that after those events (so Winterdays) the team would look into this.

It would then also be nice to get an answer. And as I don’t see a good reason to why not being able to disable this we should even already have the option. Just to give an idea how ‘much’ work this is, here a code that would do this.

Add an option in the menu (in the code this might be variable useRightMouseToSelect).

When capturing the “right-mouse-leave” put the code in there between:
If(!useRightMouseToSelect)
{
[existing code here]
}

Why don’t we hear anything about this? It is really annoying and it’s one of those things a developer can fix in no-time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Our development team reviews play input on a regular basis. They are aware of this suggestion, but have not yet reached a decision on what changes, if any, they will make to targeting.

There is a lot going on right now with the upcoming event, but after that, the team will take a look at a lot of different game elements, and may make some changes in the future.

Sorry I don’t have more specific information, but you can be sure this is not being ignored or rejected without due consideration.

Thanks for understanding.

How much work could it possibly take to fix this problem? If it was fixed tomorrow would that mean I need to wait another 6 months for the option to unbind the left CTRL key from sending clicked skills to chat? (Left CTRL is my push to talk key in vent.)

+1 to original poster and bump. I hope this sits at the top of the page until it’s fixed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: leungclj.4915

leungclj.4915

I seriously wondered if GW2 engine was even heavily modified from GW1 (according to wiki) it is just crazy if they even modified such simple action…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patu.9827

Patu.9827

I cant believe that this is still an issue.

Controls sucks right now.

Cmoon, this Is Guild Wars 2!

Vaka Patu – Warrior – [TLA]

in Suggestions

Kaaboose.3897

Dear god, My guild got Yanonka the Rat-Wrangler for their bounty today.
Anet if you want to make a boss liek this we need a more reliable system of targeting!

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Almost 8 months since this was noticed, and we have nothing? C’mon Anet. Stop making silly added content, (SAB, I’m looking at you) and address functionality bugs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Why isn’t this fixed yet, it makes me sad

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aethersong.5189

Aethersong.5189

I can’t even remember how many times I have targeted the wrong thing because I was adjusting my camera. This has been an issue since launch and needs to be addressed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Sometimes I wonder if ANet actually cares, a thread made over 5 months ago and still nothing, We’re not asking for new content, but a simple toggle.

I can’t count the times I started reviving some npc during a battle or target wrong enemy. It’s really frustrating.

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

It has been far far too long since gayle said anything about this issue. It is not that difficult of a toggle to implement! This should be bumped daily until it gets fixed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Is that why I keep targetting random things?

I had no idea this whole time.

I agree. Please fix this. I thought it was just some auto-target thing based on the direction I was looking.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

The lack of polish that GW2 was, at first understandable 6 months ago when the game was new but it hasn’t changed at all!
There are glaring lack of polish issues that make the game feel pretty much the same as it was since beta(I am looking you right in the eye Jorlag!).
I love GW2 but the lack of polish has made me and my visa look for bigger and better things.
Perhaps someday right click targeting toggle will be fixed. I know that after 7 months one can only hope.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Bumpity, bump, bump, bump

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Whilst this error is a pain only from time to time, I recently created a necro & oh my feckin` gawd!
I can`t go 1-2 fights without having the mouse select a pet instead of just letting me move the camera.

fixplox!!

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Is that why I keep targetting random things?

I had no idea this whole time.

I agree. Please fix this. I thought it was just some auto-target thing based on the direction I was looking.

Yeah it also took me some time to figure out the problem. First I also thought it was a broken auto-target thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

you know devs don’t listen when they’re taking 7 months to remove this simplistic but very annoying thing.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

The worst part is that it has been 5 months since Gayle mentioned anything about. I know that the devs read these forums, and so they should, but it is disappointing that there has not been a peep about what I feel is a game breaking issue.
They can add SAB and other content all they want but until the core mechanics are fixed, to me this is a broken game.

in Suggestions

Kaaboose.3897

The worst part is that it has been 5 months since Gayle mentioned anything about. I know that the devs read these forums, and so they should, but it is disappointing that there has not been a peep about what I feel is a game breaking issue.
They can add SAB and other content all they want but until the core mechanics are fixed, to me this is a broken game.

I just pray it hasn’t been thrown into the “too hard” basket. Gods help us all if their base coding has made fixing this too hard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

I fear the “investigation” of turning off player titles in WvW has tabled this request.

in Suggestions

Kaaboose.3897

I fear the “investigation” of turning off player titles in WvW has tabled this request.

Gah, it’s just like that time when orc’s shoulders in WoW were displaying too small. Troll racials were broken with the same patch. The shoulder bug was fixed in 2 days. The racails in 2 months. /sigh

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well at least we can all keep this problem on the front page. I hope they realize that this issue should have priority. New dungeons and extra content are all fun. But this is the core game play we’re talking about here. Targeting is broken on all levels since release. Rather important to fix wouldn’t you think?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

Agreed, this is really necessary.

in Suggestions

Kaaboose.3897

I agree on the whole keeping this thing on the front page mentality. What are they going to do? Close the post? It’ll just get re-opened again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kadin.3086

Kadin.3086

7 pages and 7 months later…

why hasn’t this been fixed yet?

in Suggestions

Cardstar.1963

+1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Wow, I didn’t know what was causing these changes of targets until I saw this thread. It’s really annoying for a lot of people (was talking about that with guildies a few days ago) and it happens a lot.
It would be good to have this fixed rather sooner than later.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acid Drake.3905

Acid Drake.3905

Yes, we need this, I keep auto-attacking random mobs on accident it’s pretty annoying.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xHavoc.7683

xHavoc.7683

I just got this game not that long ago for the first time and I have to say this right click select issue is bugging the hell out of me.

I have seen/heard so many say this game’s devs listen to player requests … i think we should all start quoting this >half year long basic option that should take little time/effort to implement.

this is pretty high up the google page rankings too so this is a popular thread. Add this option kitten

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lara Jane.1395

Lara Jane.1395

Please, please fix this
+1 From me for this option