Daecollo.9578

I want this to be an option!

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

An option to disable right click targeting

in Suggestions

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

I have never been a console gamer and have always used the mouse for movement and I’ve lost track of the times I’ve misclicked whilst tryng to move around.

I would love to see an option to disable right-click targeting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Five months since anyone from Anet has said anything about this issue.
…and all we got then was a “maybe we’ll do something…. maybe we won’t”

The targeting system needs to be fixed.

What is the hold-up?

Why should they keep posting the same generic post that they haven’t figured out or worked out a fix yet. They already stated they have seen this problem and are working on it, would it make you feel better if every 48 hours a mod came back in and posted the generic “We have advised the team of this issue and it is being worked on.”? Or even better, how about they just lock the thread and say “As this problem is already being addressed, we close this thread. Thank you for the input”?

People are posting how/when/where it happens, that feedback is being seen or sent to those responsible for fixes etc. Posting and complaining just for the sake of complaining does nothing for the effectiveness of this thread.

They don’t appear to be working on it, though. The only response we’ve seen in the past 6 months was that it was “low priority.”

Low priority still means on the list. Compare that statement to the mounts one “Not working on this, nor do we intend to.”

It shouldn’t be just “on the list” It should be in the next available update.

It should have been in the last 20 updates.

The fact that they have just swept this under the rug for this long is simply absurd.

It NEEDS to be changed. There is no discussion here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

It is on the list at the very bottom just below the zhaitan backpack cover for 10000 gems.

I am switching back to guardian because I can get away with losing my targets more than my mesmer.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Five months since anyone from Anet has said anything about this issue.
…and all we got then was a “maybe we’ll do something…. maybe we won’t”

The targeting system needs to be fixed.

What is the hold-up?

Why should they keep posting the same generic post that they haven’t figured out or worked out a fix yet. They already stated they have seen this problem and are working on it, would it make you feel better if every 48 hours a mod came back in and posted the generic “We have advised the team of this issue and it is being worked on.”? Or even better, how about they just lock the thread and say “As this problem is already being addressed, we close this thread. Thank you for the input”?

People are posting how/when/where it happens, that feedback is being seen or sent to those responsible for fixes etc. Posting and complaining just for the sake of complaining does nothing for the effectiveness of this thread.

They don’t appear to be working on it, though. The only response we’ve seen in the past 6 months was that it was “low priority.”

Low priority still means on the list. Compare that statement to the mounts one “Not working on this, nor do we intend to.”

The fact that they have just swept this under the rug for this long is simply absurd.

THIS! It’s a kittening toggle! It’s not rocket surgery!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

After doing the Molten Facility this evening, the targeting again came to bite me in my backside. So I just had to tell my story on this forum.

During the final boss battle, the game would never hold a target for any longer than a few seconds. Of course there’s a lot of running circles involved, and manually adjusting the camera constantly. So every second your target is gone (using T to target was the only thing reliable).

But if this wasn’t bad enough, pressing C to target the closest enemy is also very unreliable. If the opponent is too far away, or slightly off screen, it doesn’t work! How did they mess this up? This used to work fine in GW1. Now I can’t even reliably select my closest target, without looking directly at it? Then I might as well left-click the boss! What’s the point of targeting the closest enemy, if I still have to look his way? Same deal with TAB to cycle through the targets, it doesn’t select the boss if he’s off screen, regardless of how close he is to me.

So at the start of the boss battle, we keep having to repeat pressing T to target, because constantly the boss is deselected. Couldn’t they at least add some sort of sticky target option, along with an option to disable right-click targeting?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

Since this issue has been in the game for 8 months I suspect your stuck with this for the longevity of this game…

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

After doing the Molten Facility this evening, the targeting again came to bite me in my backside. So I just had to tell my story on this forum.

During the final boss battle, the game would never hold a target for any longer than a few seconds. Of course there’s a lot of running circles involved, and manually adjusting the camera constantly. So every second your target is gone (using T to target was the only thing reliable).

But if this wasn’t bad enough, pressing C to target the closest enemy is also very unreliable. If the opponent is too far away, or slightly off screen, it doesn’t work! How did they mess this up? This used to work fine in GW1. Now I can’t even reliably select my closest target, without looking directly at it? Then I might as well left-click the boss! What’s the point of targeting the closest enemy, if I still have to look his way? Same deal with TAB to cycle through the targets, it doesn’t select the boss if he’s off screen, regardless of how close he is to me.

So at the start of the boss battle, we keep having to repeat pressing T to target, because constantly the boss is deselected. Couldn’t they at least add some sort of sticky target option, along with an option to disable right-click targeting?

I have this happen all the time! Why did they make the decision to only let us target the things our camera is facing? I can understand the whole “can’t cast fireballs at things behind you” idea, but why not let us target stuff behind us? If we want to attack, we can just turn around. The camera/targeting system is the single buggiest thing I’ve found in this game, and I’ve played nearly every day since last year’s April beta.

Any time you turn your camera too much, your character suddenly forgets what he’s doing and stands there without a target. If there are NPCs or neutral creatures around, moving the camera will probably target them instead.
It’s enough to make me want to avoid movement and stand still while I cast. So, yeah, I guess I should level up my warrior.

The only thing that gives me hope for this issue is the comment made during the last State of the Game interview: “Next month we’ll be focusing on bug fixes.” What bigger bug is there than this (barring the “crashing after latest update” issues, of course)?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

Thread with 13k+views falls on deaf ears….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aether.7250

Aether.7250

I’m adding my support to this. I have this problem all the time in larger battles. Rotating my camera almost always ends up changing my target on accident.

[PYRO] – Maguuma
Sebastian Vettel – Wa (M) / Mylenne – Ra
Lux Crownguard – Me / Phalanx – Gu

in Suggestions

Posted by: Syncourt.5906

Syncourt.5906

Exactly.

I’ve been playing almost every single day since the release and I just cannot get past this decision to delay such an easy toggle fix. My single biggest gripe in the game as it stands is how easily you can lose your target. It really is pathetic.

But this isn’t all that makes the GW2 targetting system so horrible. It could be made incredibly user friendly for all playstyles by adding just a couple of toggle options:

- Enable/Disable clearing your target by clicking on the ground.
- Enable/Disable aiming target area fields with the center of the camera (still showing a field and requiring a confirmation click/skillpress if fast cast is on or not).
-Enable/Disable target cycling whith closest target key (or just make a new hotkey altogether).

These would improve how well the game controls dramatically. Some people don’t like the targetting system at all, adding alternatives and a little customization based on player preference would be a really good idea.

But for now after so long playing as it is, I would seriously be excited just to hear about something as simple as un upcoming option to disable right-click mouse targetting. Even more than ANY of the content updates.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Exactly.

I’ve been playing almost every single day since the release and I just cannot get past this decision to delay such an easy toggle fix. My single biggest gripe in the game as it stands is how easily you can lose your target. It really is pathetic.

But this isn’t all that makes the GW2 targetting system so horrible. It could be made incredibly user friendly for all playstyles by adding just a couple of toggle options:

- Enable/Disable aiming target area fields with the center of the camera (still showing a field and requiring a confirmation click/skillpress if fast cast is on or not).
-Enable/Disable target cycling whith closest target key (or just make a new hotkey altogether).

These would improve how well the game controls dramatically. Some people don’t like the targetting system at all, adding alternatives and a little customization based on player preference would be a really good idea.

But for now after so long playing as it is, I would seriously be excited just to hear about something as simple as un upcoming option to disable right-click mouse targetting. Even more than ANY of the content updates.

The “easy toggle fix” part. The button seems simple yes, in theory. Now program it to work, code it to work with every other code strings, make sure it doesn’t glitch something else, and send your idea to Arenanet. Thats how easy it is. ^^

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

YES! YES! YES!

I would add to that:

-Allow us to select ANY closest target, even targets that are offscreen, or behind us.
-Allow us to TAB through all enemies that are near us, and not just what’s on screen.
-Fix left-click targeting. Enemies should always be selected over npc’s and party members. And bosses should always be selected over all that.

Seriously, this frustration drives me up the walls. When ever I’m in a big battle, and all of the target options refuse to select the boss, I try manually selecting it… and it selects everything in a radius around the boss (including enemies and players I’m not directly clicking on) but not the boss. In fact, sometimes I have a giant target, like a door or gate, and can’t manually select it despite it being the only target, and filling the entire screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Exactly.

While I understand your troubles, let’s not pretend that limited html, qbasic or vbulletin scripting knowledge gives you, in any way, the right to claim this to be an easy fix. Unless you can show us a 10 000 lines C++ and python portfolio, your claim is as worthless as mine. A linkedin profile with 5+ years of experience in C++ game development would be a good alternative.

http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NCSOFT&cws=1&rid=1349

That’s the kind of people you’re talking about. Are you sure you’re up to par to tell them what’s easy and what’s not? If not, please don’t make groundless claims.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

Exactly.

The “easy toggle fix” part. The button seems simple yes, in theory. Now program it to work, code it to work with every other code strings, make sure it doesn’t glitch something else, and send your idea to Arenanet. Thats how easy it is. ^^

If the developers had worked on it enough to know it wasn’t an “easy toggle fix,” they’d probably have told us so, based on the kind of feedback we had with WvW culling, POV issues with the camera, SAB weapons, etc.

I know that programming isn’t always as simple as it seems, but until they offer testimony that they’re working on it, I don’t see a reason to use this as an excuse.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Syncourt.5906

Syncourt.5906

Are you trying to tell me that these toggles are harder to create than new content? If the only part of my post you can focus on is the fact I called it easy, when comparing it to the hundreds of other things being implemented then I think you have missed the point entirely.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Are you trying to tell me that these toggles are harder to create than new content? If the only part of my post you can focus on is the fact I called it easy, when comparing it to the hundreds of other things being implemented then I think you have missed the point entirely.

Whether or not it’s harder is not really relevant. Whether or not it’s worth it to put a manweek into it … that’s the one million question.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

Whether or not it’s harder is not really relevant. Whether or not it’s worth it to put a manweek into it … that’s the one million question.

Are you kidding me? I’ve put over 1,300 hours into this game already, and every battle just serves to emphasize the need for attention to the targeting system. I think it would be worth several man-weeks, at least.

It’s true that they might not get the kind of awestruck reviews for a reliable targeting system that they would get for new content, but what would you say about a basketball team that was adept at the double-dunk yet couldn’t dribble the ball? We need to work on fundamentals here, folks. With some urgency, if I had my preference, but it would seem they have their own priorities.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

+1 for disable right mouse targeting…

no idea why is it even possible, there is left mouse button for targeting already, why having more buttons for 1 action? o.O

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

Are you kidding me? I’ve put over 1,300 hours into this game already, and every battle just serves to emphasize the need for attention to the targeting system. I think it would be worth several man-weeks, at least.

It’s true that they might not get the kind of awestruck reviews for a reliable targeting system that they would get for new content, but what would you say about a basketball team that was adept at the double-dunk yet couldn’t dribble the ball? We need to work on fundamentals here, folks. With some urgency, if I had my preference, but it would seem they have their own priorities.

The new content uses existing code, simply added into new scenarios. Obviously the toggle is not existing code, and would have to be incorporated, tested against every aspect, and then implemented. And then we have the next problem, glitches that you can’t plan for. In theory, that toggle button could turn off your targeting indefinitely with a glitch. Then the game needs to be rolled back, everyone has to wait offline, code has to be removed, update needs to be re-downloaded, and then they have to try again. Just an example.

Getting something “done” doesn’t mean getting something “right”. If you want them to rush things that they have not tested throughout your going to get lost shores on your options menu.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

Fixed mouse-based target selection while using the “look behind” key.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Geotherma.2395 The fact that they were able to miraculously fix that(which according to you would take someone with a high degree of experience) shows it isn’t that hard.
They were altering the targeting code already! Your insinuation that you need to have a supreme amount of time and experience to implement a control toggle is about the shiniest white knight comment that I have ever read on this forum.

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

I agree that they would have to test and make sure that a toggle would work 100% before being introduced into the game but after 8 months it is pretty obvious that they just dont even care.

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Geotherma.2395 The fact that they were able to miraculously fix that(which according to you would take someone with a high degree of experience) shows it isn’t that hard.
They were altering the targeting code already! Your insinuation that you need to have a supreme amount of time and experience to implement a control toggle is about the shiniest white knight comment that I have ever read on this forum.

Cool beans. If it is so easy then perhaps you can email them the code. Because clearly you have more insight into this than the devs of the game, and your opinion invalidates their overall experience and information. Right? .. These forums… But thanks for the compliment.

It is low on the list, it was to be looked at more detailed after the living story. You can be patient or impatient, it doesn’t affect me either way. Just shining light on the fact that no person here has more knowledge about the game than someone who works on it, or even someone who knows programming.

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

If I submit a right click targeting disable code to Anet I want 100k gems. I shouldn’t have to do their job for them.
It isn’t hard to do they just don’t want to do it unless it is somehow tied into the gemstore. ie. you can now control how you target! The Asuran targeting scanner is now available for the low price of 2000 gems!
It is so low on the list that Anet devs havn’t even responded in 7 months to a thread that has 13000 views! How is that for customer service and being in touch with the community?
Having knowledge of coding is irrelevant when the company your so very patient with(I consider 8 months patient) isn’t even willing to put a simple “we are working on it guys” comment.
The vitriol in this forum is well deserved and gone are the days where Anet listened and interacted with it’s community.
Your white knight attitude to this issue is but one small voice compared to the 10 pages of people who want this addressed.

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

If I submit a right click targeting disable code to Anet I want 100k gems. I shouldn’t have to do their job for them.
It isn’t hard to do they just don’t want to do it unless it is somehow tied into the gemstore. ie. you can now control how you target! The Asuran targeting scanner is now available for the low price of 2000 gems!
It is so low on the list that Anet devs havn’t even responded in 7 months to a thread that has 13000 views! How is that for customer service and being in touch with the community?
Having knowledge of coding is irrelevant when the company your so very patient with(I consider 8 months patient) isn’t even willing to put a simple “we are working on it guys” comment.
The vitriol in this forum is well deserved and gone are the days where Anet listened and interacted with it’s community.
Your white knight attitude to this issue is but one small voice compared to the 10 pages of people who want this addressed.

Lol your “opinions”, and your “type” of players are the minority here. Very few actual players thinks that Arenanet is out to steal all our money for a fix, your are clearly just attacking them because your mad.

“It isn’t hard to do they just don’t want to do it unless it is somehow tied into the gemstore. "

You basically just made any arguments you ever make on these forums invalid, good job

“Having knowledge of coding is irrelevant when the company your so very patient with(I consider 8 months patient) isn’t even willing to put a simple “we are working on it guys” comment. "

They have said they are working on it 3 times.

“Your white knight attitude to this issue is but one small voice compared to the 10 pages of people who want this addressed.”

I know your trying to degrade me somehow with this term, but it is only making me lol And I support the fix for this, even if I don’t experience it. Perhaps your reading skills are lacking.

“The vitriol in this forum is well deserved and gone are the days where Anet listened and interacted with it’s community. "

I can link pages and pages of things devs discussed that players wanted/suggested, and that were implemented into the game. Your argument is an argument that holds no substance other than to call people silly names and rage against them. Which of course we all find humorous at your expense, but doesn’t contribute to the fix for this problem.

Just because someone doesn’t respond with “we are still working on it” every page, doesn’t mean they are ignoring it. No one needs to pander or baby you every time you cry for attention, please get over yourself and post something more constructive. Have fun

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

It is low on the list, it was to be looked at more detailed after the living story. You can be patient or impatient, it doesn’t affect me either way. Just shining light on the fact that no person here has more knowledge about the game than someone who works on it, or even someone who knows programming.

In the original quote from Gaile Gray, she wasn’t talking about the current Living Story updates. She was talking about the Lost Shores. The comment was made on November 9. See below.

Our development team reviews play input on a regular basis. They are aware of this suggestion, but have not yet reached a decision on what changes, if any, they will make to targeting.

There is a lot going on right now with the upcoming event, but after that, the team will take a look at a lot of different game elements, and may make some changes in the future.

Sorry I don’t have more specific information, but you can be sure this is not being ignored or rejected without due consideration.

Thanks for understanding.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

Wow do YOU even know how to read?

“Lol your “opinions”, and your “type” of players are the minority here. Very few actual players thinks that Arenanet is out to steal all our money for a fix, your are clearly just attacking them because your mad.”

Your kitten right I am mad. The targeting is god aweful in this game and there has been one post in 8 months with over 14,000 views yet here we are with 0 response from Anet since the creation of the thread.
It is clear that you do not have the ability to comprehend sarcasm, although I would love to see the “Asuran Targeting Scanner” sold on the gemstore…at least the issue would be fixed.

“They have said they are working on it 3 times.”

Post links please or your argument is invalid.

“I know your trying to degrade me somehow with this term, but it is only making me lolAnd I support the fix for this, even if I don’t experience it. Perhaps your reading skills are lacking.”

I am not degrading you I am just sick of white knights that defend Anet needlessly.

“can link pages and pages of things devs discussed that players wanted/suggested, and that were implemented into the game. Your argument is an argument that holds no substance other than to call people silly names and rage against them. Which of course we all find humorous at your expense, but doesn’t contribute to the fix for this problem.”

I am certain that there are things put into the game that players wanted, but how about fixing a fundamental problem with the game before we start talking Zhaitan minis and multicolored rainbow quaggan backpacks at the gemstore.

“Just because someone doesn’t respond with “we are still working on it” every page, doesn’t mean they are ignoring it. No one needs to pander or baby you every time you cry for attention, please get over yourself and post something more constructive. Have fun”

Sooo, I can’t “degrade” you somehow but it is ok for you to do that to others. That is very mature lol.
I don’t think that they should respond to every page but when a thread that is over 8 months old with 18000 views! is not responded too then there is an issue.
Myself and the thousands of other people who are sick of this issue will sadly never get a fix for this.
Arena Net has done jack squat to even discuss what many feel to be a gamebreaking issue and that silence to most is regarded as non-action.

I am sure that you will retort.
I will not read it.
I will let someone else +1 their disgust with the targeting in GW2 and let the thread get to 16000k views lol.

in Suggestions

Stormcrow.7513

but you can be sure this is not being ignored or rejected without due consideration.

lol 8 months of being ignored. gg anet gg.

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

Wow do YOU even know how to read?

“Lol your “opinions”, and your “type” of players are the minority here. Very few actual players thinks that Arenanet is out to steal all our money for a fix, your are clearly just attacking them because your mad.”

Your kitten right I am mad. The targeting is god aweful in this game and there has been one post in 8 months with over 14,000 views yet here we are with 0 response from Anet since the creation of the thread.
It is clear that you do not have the ability to comprehend sarcasm, although I would love to see the “Asuran Targeting Scanner” sold on the gemstore…at least the issue would be fixed.

“They have said they are working on it 3 times.”

Post links please or your argument is invalid.

“I know your trying to degrade me somehow with this term, but it is only making me lolAnd I support the fix for this, even if I don’t experience it. Perhaps your reading skills are lacking.”

I am not degrading you I am just sick of white knights that defend Anet needlessly.

“can link pages and pages of things devs discussed that players wanted/suggested, and that were implemented into the game. Your argument is an argument that holds no substance other than to call people silly names and rage against them. Which of course we all find humorous at your expense, but doesn’t contribute to the fix for this problem.”

I am certain that there are things put into the game that players wanted, but how about fixing a fundamental problem with the game before we start talking Zhaitan minis and multicolored rainbow quaggan backpacks at the gemstore.

“Just because someone doesn’t respond with “we are still working on it” every page, doesn’t mean they are ignoring it. No one needs to pander or baby you every time you cry for attention, please get over yourself and post something more constructive. Have fun”

Sooo, I can’t “degrade” you somehow but it is ok for you to do that to others. That is very mature lol.
I don’t think that they should respond to every page but when a thread that is over 8 months old with 18000 views! is not responded too then there is an issue.
Myself and the thousands of other people who are sick of this issue will sadly never get a fix for this.
Arena Net has done jack squat to even discuss what many feel to be a gamebreaking issue and that silence to most is regarded as non-action.

I am sure that you will retort.
I will not read it.
I will let someone else +1 their disgust with the targeting in GW2 and let the thread get to 16000k views lol.

Your logic “14,000 Views” = 14,000 people have this problem and/or agree. Good job lol

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

In the original quote from Gaile Gray, she wasn’t talking about the current Living Story updates. She was talking about the Lost Shores. The comment was made on November 9. See below.

Our development team reviews play input on a regular basis. They are aware of this suggestion, but have not yet reached a decision on what changes, if any, they will make to targeting.

There is a lot going on right now with the upcoming event, but after that, the team will take a look at a lot of different game elements, and may make some changes in the future.

Sorry I don’t have more specific information, but you can be sure this is not being ignored or rejected without due consideration.

Thanks, I’ll work on getting a better answer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

wow, holy rhetoric, batman! it’s simple:

1) we want the ability to toggle this “feature” on and off
2) the ability to toggle the feature on and off would have 0 impact on those who either don’t notice it, or think it’s no big deal — they can just keep it as is
3) the playerbase is rightfully concerned that anet has yet to give us a comprehensive response to this, even if no more than “hey, we hear ya, we’re workin’ on it” or “yes, we hear you, and there are no plans to fix it at this time.”

that about sum it up? is the rest of the name-calling, etc, really required?

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

“I would like you to know that I personally reported your concern to the development team. The research may take some time, so we will really appreciate your patience while they are investigating your concern. "

There’s your Page 10 update (from support). It isn’t much but better than nothing. Maybe we get a response, maybe we don’t. We aren’t “entitled” to a response, we would like one, one would be great. But at no time are they obligated to respond all the time on the issue.

So it is being looked at, it is obvious that they can see this thread as it is always on top. So, sorry I couldn’t get something better, that’s all I can get right now. The recently added update for the camera turn is probably a step towards a fix. If you find constructive posts, or helpful information in the thread then +1 it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Eternal Grace.3157

The Eternal Grace.3157

It’s ridiculous. This page has been up for 7 months, an Anet staff replied 6 months ago, and yet nothing has been done about it. Instead, Anet decides to focus on PvP, buffing warriors, nerfing thieves, elementalists, and engineers, and the pointless, boring Living Story that includes random scavenger hunts and a temporary, single-path story dungeon…

Sorry Anet, but your priorities are seriously messed up.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Their stream from earlier today,
http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/2265971
notice how often he loses target when fighting?
Happens several times in almost every fight.

How the hell they still think this is a low priority is beyond me.

(also the comment about Thieves at 22:27ish failol)

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This is one of the core game mechanics and it is pretty broken. It is simply inexcusable. I think it’s impossible to play the game in any way, and not run into problems with the targeting system.

I’m glad lots of people in this thread are mad. We need more mad people in here… and I don’t mean mad in the way that I am mad. People should be angry about this issue. It’s important. This is the core game play we’re talking about.

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

“I would like you to know that I personally reported your concern to the development team. The research may take some time, so we will really appreciate your patience while they are investigating your concern. "

There’s your Page 10 update (from support). It isn’t much but better than nothing. Maybe we get a response, maybe we don’t. We aren’t “entitled” to a response, we would like one, one would be great. But at no time are they obligated to respond all the time on the issue.

So it is being looked at, it is obvious that they can see this thread as it is always on top. So, sorry I couldn’t get something better, that’s all I can get right now. The recently added update for the camera turn is probably a step towards a fix. If you find constructive posts, or helpful information in the thread then +1 it.

I don’t know where your quote came from, but I do find it a little comforting. I tried using the forum’s search function (which should probably have its own complaint thread if it doesn’t already) but it only found your post.

I would be surprised if they were actually working on it, though, considering what Evan Lesh said a couple of weeks ago. From the way he said it, it wasn’t “being looked at” as much as “somewhere toward the bottom of the list of things to look at.” You know, based on his use of the phrase “low priority.”

I do agree, however, that 14,000 views <> 14,000 people in agreement, nor would the post count accurately reflect the number of people experiencing this issue (for a number of reasons).

I also agree that the recent “rearview” camera fix could potentially indicate that they might possibly be working on something in the general vicinity of what we’re requesting. But it’s hard to say if they won’t tell us.

I’d like to close with this brief summary of the discussion:

Everyone: Right-click targeting is so bad! It’s crazy horrible, and they should have fixed this months ago. Why aren’t they at least acknowledging it?
Gaile Gray: We’re working on Karka Island right now, but after that, we might take a look and see if it should be changed.
Everyone: Okay, so it’s still really bad! I can’t stand how frustrating this is! Are you fixing it yet? You really need to fix it!
Evan Lesh (in another thread): The targeting system is a controversial topic, everyone thinks they know how it should work. It’s low-priority, sorry.
Everyone: Oh, come on! It desperately needs to be fixed! It’s the single worst thing in the game, including thief balance and engineer bugs!
Geotherma: Calm down, guys. They said they’ll look at it! I’m sure they’ll fix it soon.
Everyone else: It’s been 8 months, and they’ve never once said they were working on it! How can they ignore this problem?
Geotherma: Hey, look! I’m not affected by this. See? Here’s a video or three of me not having your problem! So calm down and wait patiently, just like the engineers and ranger pets.
Everyone else (probably a bit jealous): But it’s so bad!
Geotherma: Yes, calm down. We know. They know. It’ll be fine.
Everyone else: But it’s SO BAD!!!

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

I don’t know where your quote came from, but I do find it a little comforting. I tried using the forum’s search function (which should probably have its own complaint thread if it doesn’t already) but it only found your post.

I would be surprised if they were actually working on it, though, considering what Evan Lesh said a couple of weeks ago. From the way he said it, it wasn’t “being looked at” as much as “somewhere toward the bottom of the list of things to look at.” You know, based on his use of the phrase “low priority.”

I do agree, however, that 14,000 views <> 14,000 people in agreement, nor would the post count accurately reflect the number of people experiencing this issue (for a number of reasons).

I also agree that the recent “rearview” camera fix could potentially indicate that they might possibly be working on something in the general vicinity of what we’re requesting. But it’s hard to say if they won’t tell us.

I’d like to close with this brief summary of the discussion:

Everyone: Right-click targeting is so bad! It’s crazy horrible, and they should have fixed this months ago. Why aren’t they at least acknowledging it?
Gaile Gray: We’re working on Karka Island right now, but after that, we might take a look and see if it should be changed.
Everyone: Okay, so it’s still really bad! I can’t stand how frustrating this is! Are you fixing it yet? You really need to fix it!
Evan Lesh (in another thread): The targeting system is a controversial topic, everyone thinks they know how it should work. It’s low-priority, sorry.
Everyone: Oh, come on! It desperately needs to be fixed! It’s the single worst thing in the game, including thief balance and engineer bugs!
Geotherma: Calm down, guys. They said they’ll look at it! I’m sure they’ll fix it soon.
Everyone else: It’s been 8 months, and they’ve never once said they were working on it! How can they ignore this problem?
Geotherma: Hey, look! I’m not affected by this. See? Here’s a video or three of me not having your problem! So calm down and wait patiently, just like the engineers and ranger pets.
Everyone else (probably a bit jealous): But it’s so bad!
Geotherma: Yes, calm down. We know. They know. It’ll be fine.
Everyone else: But it’s SO BAD!!!

That was directly from a GM, that was the reply i got. I also sent a request for someone to possibly post in this forum for an update, but I can’t promise that, I don’t own arenanet :P

Below is a response recently in another thread on the subject of replying to threads:

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, we have stated that we are unable to provide a reply to all suggestions posted in the suggestion subforum.

We do, however, regularly read the suggestions forum and deliver feedback to the design team on a daily basis. Just because you haven’t seen a reply does not mean it’s not being read.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I think they’re waiting the whole 12 months of game’s release to fix this annoying kitten thing. So expect them to do something on August 28th………………………..

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jonnyguitar.1684

Jonnyguitar.1684

LOL they STILL havent fixed this?

No other game i have EVER played does this, yet they still leave this gamebreaking design in effect.

LOL.

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

LOL they STILL havent fixed this?

No other game i have EVER played does this, yet they still leave this gamebreaking design in effect.

LOL.

At least you get a few laughs out of it.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: radamanthe.4706

radamanthe.4706

+1

I just want that done now, so I vote.

Frankly there are very few things I disagree with Anet, but this one makes me crazy sometimes. The targetting system is critical and should not have flaws like that. Just make it an option and everybody’s happy !

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It does seem that this is quite a high priority issue for most players (including myself) and would go great lengths to making the game more playable.

The mouse targetting issue are like the Arrow keys changing directions randomly. Sure you can make it work, but it’s extremely annoying.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I like the right and left click targeting. Left and right have slightly different functions. What compeltly breaks the interface for my playstyle is you can rotate the camera AND target with ONE click. Right now the selection mechanism appears to be: mouse down—>(delay time for motion)—>mouse up. The option to set that delay time to zero would eliminate the issue everyone has, and preserve the game mechanic that Anet wanted.

I posted a bug report on this here along with a demo of the bug:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Camera-motion-and-target-selection-w-1-click/1943672

I also posted on some other sites:
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/16056-Target-loss-on-camera-rotation
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/82975-target-loss-on-camera-rotation/

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

First- The problem:

Some players would like an option to toggle off right click targeting due to various play issues.

I support this and if you do please +1 the helpful ideas/feedback not just anyone who posts. If you have issues with this problem too please post as much info as you can so that devs who read can understand your issue. Below is a summary of the problem and thread so far with information that can help you better see the situation.

I’d like to add some clarity to this thread now that it has gotten so lengthy and difficult to read. As of my posting this 5/12/2013 2:02PM EST here is the summary and purpose of this thread:

493 Posts (Not unique)
10 Pages (50 per page)
14386 Views (Cannot verify if these users experience/support based on views alone)
Thread is about 8 months old

Some posters are the same person, and therefore are not “unique” posts. Some examples of these-

9 Posts lunawisp
15 Posts Mad Queen Malafide
16 Posts Faux Play
16 Posts MithranArkanere
16 Posts RoyHarmon
18 Posts Kaaboose
21 Posts Stormcrow
23 Posts Patu
27 Posts Geotherma (Me)
33 Posts RoShamBo

There are several 2-8 posters as well but I won’t list those. Once duplicates are removed we have:

227 Unique Posts (Going to assume they are all for this, or support this)
Assuming 50 posts are dedicated to each page this would actually be 4 1/2 Pages long.

Now some people are saying this is a wide spread problem, some even have commented this is the biggest problem in game. I provided the information so that people can get a better picture of where this thread and problem is. As you can see it is not thousands of players, so one can assume that this problem may be linked to a few various things:

Play style of the individual
A glitch
Certain aspects or areas of the game
Class related
-There are more but those are examples.

Now the problem has been replied to by devs and the Arenanet team (although infrequent, they have replied). Here is the bulk of what I could find on this matter:

6 Months Ago-

20 days ago (Seperate thread)-

1) I agree that targeting has been a point of contention around here since everyone has a different opinion on how it should work. We have not forgotten about this issue, but it is pretty low priority, unfortunately. This polish would fall under the umbrella of a combat team.

April 30 2013 Patch-

A day ago via support-

I believe there may be more quotes on the subject but couldn’t find at the time.
Again, I support Arenanet fixing this, and hope to see it in an update so that those affected by it can have relief from this problem. Whether it is a bug, glitch, or just a playstyle issue doesn’t really matter. Players have voiced their concerns and hopefully we will get a response. I hope this post helps to compress and clarify the jumble of posts and pages. If you have information to add please do so.

PS: Shame on you RoShamBo for making me use Office:Access to sort all that information out on duplicates… I hate that program :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Exactly.

While I understand your troubles, let’s not pretend that limited html, qbasic or vbulletin scripting knowledge gives you, in any way, the right to claim this to be an easy fix. Unless you can show us a 10 000 lines C++ and python portfolio, your claim is as worthless as mine. A linkedin profile with 5+ years of experience in C++ game development would be a good alternative.

http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NCSOFT&cws=1&rid=1349

That’s the kind of people you’re talking about. Are you sure you’re up to par to tell them what’s easy and what’s not? If not, please don’t make groundless claims.

It’s probably as simple as adding ONE IF THEN statement and a variable based on a checkbox.

IF box.checked = yes
leave the line of code

IF box.checked = no
ignore the line of code.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jonnyguitar.1684

Jonnyguitar.1684

Its simply designed badly and done wrong.

Targetting should be done on mouseRELEASE, not mouseCLICK.

It is as simple as that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: wolfram.8291

wolfram.8291

This is without a doubt the best way to fix this problem. I don’t know how hard it is to do, but it would save me a lot of frustration. Lol at geotherma’s arguments here. Priority? How important was the fix on how an NPC holds a chicken? I won’t argue with the idea that some people have no problem with this, but by her own admission she never uses right click to target or attack or interact with anything. What if tab cycled through allies and resource nodes and brought up dialog boxes and made you start mining while you were getting hammered by a dozen enemies? Would that be a priority fix? Nah, let’s fix the way NPC’s hold chickens.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Watch the following clip. In the video the mouse was setup so the cusor turns color when the mouse is clicked. If you watch, targets don’t change until the cusor returns to the origional color. The issue is if you move the mouse when there is a mouse down, it does not turn off the targeting function right away. There is a small window where you can both select a target and move the camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8-VJLbbqY

Its simply designed badly and done wrong.

Targetting should be done on mouseRELEASE, not mouseCLICK.

It is as simple as that.

in Suggestions

Geotherma.2395

This is without a doubt the best way to fix this problem. I don’t know how hard it is to do, but it would save me a lot of frustration. Lol at geotherma’s arguments here. Priority? How important was the fix on how an NPC holds a chicken? I won’t argue with the idea that some people have no problem with this, but by her own admission she never uses right click to target or attack or interact with anything. What if tab cycled through allies and resource nodes and brought up dialog boxes and made you start mining while you were getting hammered by a dozen enemies? Would that be a priority fix? Nah, let’s fix the way NPC’s hold chickens.

Arenanet is the ones who said low priority, I was just repeating their words. I personally think it is a lower priority because it is not as large as some think it is. This problem only affects some people, of 1-2 million people this thread has under 300 who feel strongly enough to post about it. I’m not saying their claims are unfounded or untrue, just that this is what we were told. I agree it should be fixed, even if it is to convenience just some players because it is not a major change to the game. Many people continue to make it sound like I’m against it, when clearly I’ve stated otherwise and condensed info that is easier for people and devs to read. There are plenty of things I would like fixed as well, I would like the chickens to stop pooping eggs at me for 40k damage, and for 3 champions to not use the same 21k dmg skill at once on me.. But I’m patient.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

+1
Please let us disable right-click targeting.

When people were complaining about low FOV in game causing drowsiness/vomiting/headaches, Anet was in a huuuuge hurry to fix camera smoothing which wasn’t the problem. To quote/paraphrase what a dev said (John Peters?), “People with FOV sickness have no clue what they’re talking about, once we fix the camera smoothing they won’t have a problem anymore”.

Laughable. Just laughable.

The camera smoothing wasn’t an issue with those of us complaining about the low FOV, but they “fixed it” and made the smoothing worse, so bad that it actually started making me sick after the change, when it didn’t before! (camera started trembling heavily while turning).

They were in suuuuch a hurry to “fix” that perfectly fine camera smoothing, but they can’t be bothered to give us a toggle to disable right clicking.

I don’t get ANet.

Do they not realize how often you need to turn the camera? Every time I fight or explore, I’m turning the camera with the right mouse button! 90% of the time? 95%? Right-click targeting is a huge issue, as I have to stop fighting to reset my target so often it nearly gives me a heart attack out of frustration.

As for the “on mouse click; on mouse release” argument, so what? Do you expect me to hold down the right mouse button the entire fight, until everything is dead?

Holding down the right mouse button is uncomfortable and will lead to carpal tunnel syndrome if you’re not careful.

I’ll never risk having disabling pain and stiffness on my hands again, and neither should you. I used to have arthritis, it makes life awful not being able to turn a doorknob, type, write, or cook myself a meal. If you experienced this, you wouldn’t tell others to “just hold down the right mouse button the entire time”. You would come to this thread and ask for ANet to disable right click targeting so you don’t end up losing the ability to use your hands, wrists, and/or fingers.

Plus I can’t hold down the right mouse button the entire fight, as left clicking at the same time would cause my character to run forward. Try it.

And as an Engineer, I need to do a lot of ground targeting, so moving my mouse to do that while the right mouse button is held down would make the camera spin around when I don’t need/want it to.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)