Transmuting from one class of armor to another

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kongguan.7580

Kongguan.7580

I’m suprised to see that people aren’t able to transmute from light to medium or vice-versa.

Personally, I’m playing a hunter and each pants that I can find is exactly the same model.

It would be great if you can transmute the looks of gears from medium to light or heavy so that not every rangers, thieves, and engineer have the same exact looks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’d say Profession-Specific armour rather than transmuting different armour types, if you want to make each Profession look unique.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If this was allowed you would have Eles running around in heavy armor and guardians running around in light armor in PvP causing all kinds of issues .Given i dont PvP much but even i know that proper target identification is pivotal in the chaos of combat .

Give us Profession skins for uniqueness rather than weight transmutation

in Suggestions

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Perhaps but I mean if an elementalist transmute the skin of heavy armor but has to retain the light stats. That doesn’t change the game. Just changes the looks? I would love to put on some light armor on my char :<

Or perhaps it only makes sense that you can wear armor that is lighter than your class. Like heavy can choose to use something lighter or weaker. And so on. That should be our choice since we’re sacrificing our own stats. Realistically, some warriors or something may want to travel “lighter” for more mobility etc or whatnot

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kongguan.7580

Kongguan.7580

I don’t mind having eles running around with heavy armor “looks.” But I certainly don’t like all rangers wearing the same look.

in Suggestions

Adine.2184

look at it like a strict class ethos . Each class has weapons ethos so wouldn’t they also have an armor ethos too?

in Suggestions

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Medium armor is dumb though. Most of it are thick coats… On a female heavy armor looks much more form fitting and sometimes more revealing than medium coats. The medium stuff looks heavier than heavy! Doesn’t make sense. Also within ur own class there are spectrums. I have a ninja ish more light armor looking medium for my character, theres also order of whispers and human cultural but it’s almost the only few avail. I just don’t see the “ethos” or rationale when we have a few light looking armor and other gear tha looks so heavy and thick, heavy armor looks a lot lighter.

If it is only the skins, I’ve seen people running around with various dungeon gear and sets from diff sources, and sometimes u can’t tell what armor class they have anyway. Casters look like they have something medium or heavy on, some heavy armor looks quite revealing or weak.. XD there is already a big range so if u can use skins of any armor, I don’t think it changes much

But still that would be rly chaotic somehow xD almost like you can do anything and there won’t be rules

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rikit Runk.5170

Rikit Runk.5170

I would love it!
I’am a big fan of plume hats but I’am a Guardian.
So it would be great if I could wear some.

PS: excuse me for my broken english.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Schakal.6091

Schakal.6091

If this was allowed you would have Eles running around in heavy armor and guardians running around in light armor in PvP causing all kinds of issues .Given i dont PvP much but even i know that proper target identification is pivotal in the chaos of combat .

Well, in sPVP it wouldn’t be an issue since it uses a different armor paradigm. In WvW it’s only relevant when you can actually SEE who you’re fighting to begin with and don’t have the split second to check out the little icon that appears next to their name.

I personally loathe the fact that my studly meleeing Mesmer is stuck wearing kitten dresses. Even the most basic Medium Armor looks more appropriate to the character concept.

While I’d settle for some skins or new armor models that shook up the foundations by, I think opening the various classes of armor for cross-Transmutation would be the more efficient way to go. Transmutation Stones exist to allow us to customize our style after all. And the game lore is loose enough to allow for interpretations of the classes that at least visually call for other types of armor than they are allowed by the systems.

The Mesmer is -among other things- described as a Duelist. Well, a Duelist wouldn’t wear awkward robes that get in the way. Guardians have a spiritual element; seeing them in robes would seem natural. Thieves and Egineers are regular people without an actual need for armor at the end of the day. Seeing them in something lighter than trenchcoats would seem perfectly natural. And so on.

The internet is for Norn

in Suggestions

Adine.2184

Mesmer has always been a light armor class and thief was based on the sin which was a medium armor class . If lore would support anything it would be all classes having class specific armor like in GW1 .

in Suggestions

Schakal.6091

You’re confusing game design with lore.

Thieves are adept at the art of stealth. They utilize surprise and shadow to get close to their enemies, and they’re deadly in one-on-one combat. They have an affinity for setting traps and going where they were never meant to go.

That is what a thief is. Now, for someone trying to be stealthy it would probably make no sense to run around in a kittening and chattering suit of chainmail. Or even bulkier armor. But I don’t see anything wrong with someone being stealthy and lethal in cloth armor.

The fact that they actually wear medium armor is a game design limitation. One that wouldn’t change since the stats would be unaffected.

The internet is for Norn

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I don’t mind having eles running around with heavy armor “looks.” But I certainly don’t like all rangers wearing the same look.

Well I’m sorry to say, but that’s too bad. There’s no way that this will bring any good, people will be confused when they see someone running in heavy armor and they’ll prepare for a fight with a warrior until they realise it’s actually an ele or something. Also, there will be a LOT of clipping issues that people will just abuse for the ‘lulz’.

You could always mix and match what pieces you want at lvl80 to suit what you want and make you stand out anyway…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Feni.4306

Feni.4306

Well I’m sorry to say, but that’s too bad. There’s no way that this will bring any good, people will be confused when they see someone running in heavy armor and they’ll prepare for a fight with a warrior until they realise it’s actually an ele or something.

You could always mix and match what pieces you want at lvl80 to suit what you want and make you stand out anyway…

I should suffer because of the limitations of others? Also “There’s no way that this will bring any good”. Actually yes, it will. It will enhance the gaming experience for all those wishing it be implemented.

Warrior – Ríse[MoM]. Guardian – Ekria. Necro – Reimia. Engi – Feni Navi
Tarnished Coast.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mkeiichi.5324

mkeiichi.5324

Agreed, I (tentatively) think this is a good idea. I don’t PvP – much – so I really don’t care about it. What’s so vital about identifying someone properly anyway? It’s not like the traditional trinity is in the game, all you need is a few seconds to see what skills the other guy is throwing out.

If a few seconds to identify someone’s class in PvP is a problem, well that just reinforces my dislike of PvP, why play something where you kill or get killed in seconds… that’s not a fight, that’s scissors-rock-paper hotkey spamming.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

I’m sorry but since when doesn’t an elementalist wear heavy armor? Why wouldn’t a warrior wear flowing gowns? Cosmetics is the issue, not stats, add cosmetic transmutation stones as zone rewards or daily rewards.

Don’t shoot down my statement either just because they don’t appeal to your idea of how each character class should be perceived. I am also in the same boat about the limit in character armor, and lack of class specific armor, even racials. HELL I can’t even have Raven armor for my Necromancer whose aspect is the raven, Norn t3 is wolfborn :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheRamosOnline.2670

TheRamosOnline.2670

Do want.
I wanna be a heavy armoured Mesmer. In appearances of course.
The intimidation factor when you see a bunch of plants shooting spells at you is a little lacking compared to 4 heavy armoured targets shooting you.
And that’s what WvW centers around.
Intimidation.
I’ve seen a small group of charr and norn scare away a huge enemy group.
They’re intimidation to see coming at you.

in Suggestions

Adine.2184

um since D&D ……thats a pretty long time by the way .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

Thats nice Adine, but this isn’t D&D it’s guild wars and the concept of choice is something that they want us to have, I choose to have a heavy armor for my elementalist, I can’t get it though, but I WOULD choose it. We are not saying if you ‘Adine’ want to stick to boring and tired concepts and be a stock standard flowy robe ele go for it, we aren’t stopping you, but the choice should be there for everyone else.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

I dont think it really matters, what kind of armor you have on, as long as it pleases the player’s eyes.
I dont think any harm would come with this. Unless the crybaby “systemtrolls” comeand say, ohm you wont be able to tell what class you play agains in pvp. Like that would be a problem, but what ever. I think there are only lame exuses fror not implementing this.

I personally wanted to play a Warrior, did love it, but in the end i rerolled, becouse it looks stupid runing araund with a rifle or bow, in plate.
It totally ruined my game experiance, unlike some stupid crap “cant tell what class it is” in pvp.

AND DONT EVEN DARE TO TALK ABAUT D&D !!! This game totally ruined anything that the perfect fantasy system or world d&d could offer. It destroyed and innvoted classes in terrible way compared to tradicional fantasy.
But lets not get into this, i am getting of topic.

Besides, as chakal sead check icon.
Second and most importantly. This game offers no real aim endgame, besides pvp and to look good. (quite sad that you cant costumize your class plays style only your look)
The whole game and gear and market is centered araund looking good. So i dont se the point of taking away possibilityes from players, to look as they wish to.
And anyhow, i seen lots of npc using heavy like armor and using bows, or non class npc-s at all.

BEsides, there are slim plate armors to, that let you move freely and able to perform stealths and things.
And not to mention its a fantasy world, dont let simple exuses bind you. In a world of rayguns and Dragons, floating cube towns and most of all magic, this is supposed to matter.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Fully agree with the OP, players should be able to choose the look of the gear they want to wear.
A transmutate looks only stone, would def be on my ‘to buy’ list !

:)

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

Personally not a Fan of this idea, distinction between classes adds uniqueness to a class.

It’s like saying, hey I want my Porsche to look like a monster truck – sorry but I think its stupid.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Totally against this idea.

We need distinction between the classes. Especially since the combat in this game is so visually dependent on our characters and not our UIs.

in Suggestions

Schakal.6091

We need distinction between the classes. Especially since the combat in this game is so visually dependent on our characters and not our UIs.

Right. It’s not like every target has an icon telling you what class they are beyond the shadow of a doubt.

The internet is for Norn

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onestar.2479

Onestar.2479

So since you are saying its so visually dependent, then that means skills and special effects from those skills can also define a class. Elementalist with multicolored attacks, Mesmer with BIG PURPLE EFFECTS, guardians with BIG BLUE EFFECTS, necros dark effects, thieves with shadowy effects, rangers hailing down arrows (and green effects), warriors (who have like a orangish yellow effect on some abilities) and charge right at you.

I think people should be able to give whatever look they want because armor is not a big defining factor. The last thing I notice when fighting other players is what type of armor they have because their armor gets switched to one blob of color and I cant even tell which armor type they are wearing sometimes.

(edited by Onestar.2479)

in Suggestions

Posted by: gg willikers.4015

gg willikers.4015

I had this thought come up today myself, and had to see if it was possible, I was deeply saddened when I found it wasn’t… Why am I sad? Because I SO wish my warrior could look this awesome http://i.imgur.com/FPDPX.jpg (resolution got messed up when I cropped it, too lazy to fix it right now) but sadly, he can’t. All I want to do is transmute the pants to cloth, that’s it!

(edited by gg willikers.4015)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Im one of the few who actually love medium armor i think , but i got only 3 lvls 80 , 1 heavy and 2 light …

Sure i would love to see this implemented , but might never be because of PvP and stuff like that.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I think… the more customization options, the better

in Suggestions

Onestar.2479

I’m being ignored. So I’m just going to paste this every time a thread is made about it until someone comes up with a legit argument. Im going to make an official page within a few days.

“allow medium armor wearers to also wear cloth.” – for appearance
“allow heavy armor wearers to wear medium.” – for appearance
“allow cloths wearers to wear medium” – for appearance
———————————————————————————————————
This doesn’t disrupt PVP, it doesn’t mess with scouting in WvW, it doesn’t blur the line between professions, it doesnt ruin immersion, There is no exploits of armor or having a really weird unbalance of heavy armored people, and it gives the people who want to have more freedom to customization to do so (listing all concerns and legitimate arguments so far on this topic). This is a win situation all around the table and I would hope that this can be our agreement to push Arena Net to actually do something about this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gg willikers.4015

gg willikers.4015

still leaves out quite a few people from their customization options, Onestar – there is no reason to not let it go full swing, almost every profession/class can be easily identified by their weapons anyways.

in Suggestions

Onestar.2479

The reason to not let it full swing is because that’s when people have issues with it messing in PVP or immersion ect.

This gives what we as people who want more customization, more customization without making other people mad about all of these issues.

I personally would like it so that everyone can choose what type of armor they want to wear (cosmetically of course) but some people have brought up valid points on how it disrupts the game. This solution doesn’t do any of that and I have yet to see a legitimate argument that says something else.

(edited by Onestar.2479)