What was the point?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: ragingpuma.4618

ragingpuma.4618

Actually, I found myself thinking a lot of times if the chest gambling as it is now is not considered illegal gambling under most of western countries laws. To carry out this type of activity (exchanging real money for a complete random prize with very low reward probability) requires special licensing.

Their lawyers looked it over a ton and made sure it was acceptable. This particular system is used in Nexon and other games from Korean companies and they were given the OK then.

Well, maybe the mini pets might be bad. Not sure really. Might classify as a Complete Gacha.

Exactly. You know nexon is behind this afterall they did buy a share of ncsoft

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Oh, and just be thankful you get to choose your pets you want to craft, GW1 every single pet outside of collectors edition bonus pets were completely RNG!

But they were tradable.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Azylir.9137

Azylir.9137

Oh, and just be thankful you get to choose your pets you want to craft, GW1 every single pet outside of collectors edition bonus pets were completely RNG!

But they were tradable.

these event one’s happen to be that’s probably why you get to craft a few, instead of you know hoping they drop, and so they could put them on the gem store and make some quick $. I’m sure they could go back to RNG entirely but I’d prefer a guaranteed few over guaranteed none, plus wait a year and maybe they’ll give you a chance to craft them again, or maybe run a repeat later this upcoming year?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

Exactly. You know nexon is behind this afterall they did buy a share of ncsoft

Eh. Sure Nexon is the largest shareholder at a little under 15% but NCSoft has done some similar things on their own in Korea. The initial refusal to divulge payout percentages from random-item boxes to determine if the Korean business model was legal or not comes to mind.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Necrid.2705

Necrid.2705

Other players are entitled to their opinion, Necrid. Just because they happen to oppose your own doesn’t mean they cannot and shouldn’t contribute to this discussion. Believe it or not, these forums are not here just to validate your point of view.

You, and many others, can express their disappointment with the Wintersday event. That doesn’t make it a bad or failed event. Many others have enjoyed and are happy with the event.

The fact remains that Anet implemented a system that relies on an amount of player control which is out of their hands. These kinds of systems always provide the most dynamic and emergent gameplay trends. Personally, I prefer fresh and interesting ways of interacting with a living, evolving game rather than something static, and predictable which leads to a boring and lifeless game.

I believe that certain RNG can be too influential on the overall effort/risk vs. reward, but you’ve basically stated you want all the rewards from this event with less effort/risk. There’s still 2 weeks to go but apparently you’ve done everything you can from this event.

And before you start complaining about people bashing on you, take a moment to stop bashing on us yourself.

I have yet to call out a single person and say that they were wrong, or that something is wrong with their head, or that they are insane, or that they are a fool, or that they don’t understand life. So don’t justify their actions and say I am doing the same thing. Reread the thread if you don’t beleive me.

I’m never said they had to agree, I only said they need to contribute and not just troll/bash.

— Necrid — Ehmry Bay — [TML]/[oG] — Charrdian Main — All Classes
— [Twitch] twitch.tv/necrid2705 — [GW-EN] gw-en.com “Necrid and Chill”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

I have yet to call out a single person and say that they were wrong, or that something is wrong with their head, or that they are insane, or that they are a fool, or that they don’t understand life. So don’t justify their actions and say I am doing the same thing. Reread the thread if you don’t beleive me.

Yeah, you call them fanboys instead.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Necrid.2705

Necrid.2705

Collectively, yes.

— Necrid — Ehmry Bay — [TML]/[oG] — Charrdian Main — All Classes
— [Twitch] twitch.tv/necrid2705 — [GW-EN] gw-en.com “Necrid and Chill”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

…of this thread?

People shouldn’t gamble money they are not prepared to loose, whether it is in gems, dollars or in-game gold. While the RNG on the mystery boxes is a bit unfair in that you can get X of the same mini, never be guaranteed a full set no matter how much you spend and that they are not tradeable, in the end it is a gamble and that means you can always loose.

Whether it is a smart business on ANet’s part, how about people vote with their wallets rather than kittening about it (yes, it is obvious they are going after the completionists and that is sad, but the fact is as long as RNG boxes sell they will exist).

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Glad some people are actually seeing the point of this thread instead of making it a fanboy vs freebie-wanting-hater thread. Kudos to you on your very well-put input. I (quite obviously) could not have said it better.

Kerithlan makes a very good point but it’s not the point you’re making. Yes, the simple RNG nature of the event is fundamentally flawed, especially when it comes to involving real money.

But RNG in itself isn’t forcing you to spend gold or gems in order to succeed. Your greed and impatience for the intangible, and transitory I might add, reward system is to blame – not Anet.

What Mank is trying to tell you is: “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

Unfortunately this is correct. Necrid, it’s important to realize that these items ultimately don’t matter in the long term. You only want them right now because they’re a limited time item, or because they’ll be rare later.

Personally I’ve chosen the path of non-participation on the everlasting tonics, the minipets, any of the rare drop items like the Unbreakable Choir Bell, and — as there was nothing that I could use to improve my character’s design — most of the gem store items.

I’ve had a lot of fun during this holiday. I don’t feel betrayed, and I’m not calling for blood. It’s unfortunate that I likely won’t get my hands on some of the more interesting items that have caught my eye (again, like the Unbreakable Choir Bell), but I’m comfortable with my decision. Random luck is simply not worth my time or resources, as I’m more likely to get burned than I am to score big.

Does it hurt that my collection is sitting empty? Sure it does… but realistically, how often will I be walking around with a bag full of minipets? How often am I willing to find a bank just to switch them out? Will my experience be totally ruined if I’m unable to play songs while watching camps in WvW?

The simple answer is no, it won’t be. I might not get as much out of the event short-term, but long-term everything is going to be okay. I’ll still enjoy what I enjoy, I’ll still find fun where there’s fun to be found, and I’ll still happily putter along as I expand on my characters’ stories.

It’s one thing to have a negative opinion of RNG or to give critical feedback to ArenaNet regarding the event, but to be throwing around insults and demanding that people leave your topic while you stamp around on your soap box is something else entirely. I’m not going to tell you what to do with yourself or how to behave. I’m only going to tell you, “it’s okay.”

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: skt.7905

skt.7905

MrMac – I am intitled to my opinion. I can post what I want. I can feel how I want. Do not quote me and change my quote. If you don’t like my post, ignore it. Simple as that. Keep your fanboy rudeness out of here.

Clearly you are missing the point and will not understand. If all you’re going to do is call me a fool then eff you.

Now, if you fanboys will excuse me, I’m trying to have a creative thread here where other players who feel the drop rate is too low can chime in and we can get Anets attention to have this looked at. Without all your fanboy cheering and your name calling. If you disagree with my opinion, oh well. No need for your trolling comments and general rudeness. Close the thread and move on. SImple as that. Fact is: There are PLENTY of people who share my feelings on this matter, and those people are who this thread is for. If you don’t like it, there is a neato little X button in the corner you can click on. Use it.

Again, if you don’t have something to contribute, and all you want to do is bash me. Then GTFO anf STFU.

You trolling fanboys just don’t get it.

I’ll just leave this here.

This isn’t mature. This isn’t constructive. You’ve had some rotten luck with the RNG. I feel bad for you. But to blame Anet for the amount of times your number pops up out of millions of items in a random number generator? That’s just selfish and closed-minded. Every single one of us has had to deal with the exact same odds as you, yet some got lucky and didn’t need to use gold or gems. Is it the outcome you wanted? No, of course not. Is it fair? kitten skippy it is.

Your sense of entitlement is wearing thin so I’m out.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Needless to say Anet, you have let us down.

Please speak for yourself, who is this us? You do not speak for me. I’ve really enjoyed this event. It’s a great success for me. I have gotten 2 two mini’s i liked at 0 cost, and still have enough mats to make a third.

I’m sitting on 180 G atm, and I only play 3-4 hours a day. I’ve earned it at a slow but sure rate. Been playing since head start. I don’t buy gems for gold mind you. I’ve learned from the Halloween event not to spend $ on RNG. But this event i spent about $20, for the outfit and more bank space.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I really liked the event overall. At least it wasn’t a one-time fiasco like the last one. And we’ve gotten some nice loot, as far as toys and bags, to boot.

Gone to Reddit.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

In the end, Anet will see the effects of this in future events.

RNG Boxes in Gem Stores for Events, sales will be down. FACT: Many people spent $50 or more on gems for the RNG boxes alone and got absolutely robbed. Those players will not touch them anymore after being burned that hard.
RNG Event Mystic Forge recipies will be avoided. FACT: Many players threw away countless stacks of glue and stuffing to make the tonics, only to end up broke, without glue or stuffing, and sitting on 5 frames that now have to sit in their inventory and take up space.
Events that promise to give a reward for participating will see less participants. FACT: Many Players who were involved with Tixx each day at his reset, does the jumping puzzle each day at reset, and spent time gift-hunting in pve/pvp walked away in the end with Nothing, (or their choice of 2 mini’s, of an available 9, at best). Some people shot for tonics and now cannot make the mini’s.

Many players were burnt on many levels with this event.

Sure, those who got what they wanted aren’t complaining. Good for you.

I’m not asking for anything FREE. I understand Anet has to make money somehow. But limiting it all to so much RNG and then making sure we couldnt grind out mats, thus forcing us to resort to gemstore to complete the collection is complete bullocks.

If the Golem/Inferarium/Snowman was a package like Halloween, then 700 Gems for that, (2 purchases, 1 to make Foostivooo The Merry) is reasonable. Then we can take the 2 free mini’s and drop another 1050 in gems to get the other three. Perfect. No complaints. That’s still 1800Gems that needs purchased or Gold-Sunk. Probably would have had More buyers at that rate.

As it stands, people put 2000+ Gems into those wintersday boxes and walked away with 1 or less of those mini’s. Then, find out the next day after exhausting all gems on their RNG boxes, that they weren’t giving us the ability to craft the 5 gifts and we would again, be required to open banks and dish out more for Anet.

Message received loud and clear Anet.

Please post up some good third party sources to confirm all these “FACTS” that you are telling us about.

FACT: The guy is a hater and is mad at and event that hasn’t even made it to the final stage! They should ban him from the toypocolypse then he would have something to complain about lmao.

And when the A-net tax men come knocking on your door you can go looking for help in an empty world.

The reality is simple to understand. RNG and loot tables are A-nets tools to screw the average player out of reward satisfaction. A rare for killing Zhaitan? Level 80 chests that always drop lvl 65 rewards? Op mobs that wipe low level players and cause repair costs.

And worst of all in this sick game, The Trading post. Where the rich screw the poor and A-net charge value added tax.

Happy whatever

(p.s, I have enjoyed this event, but I cannot shake the fear of abuse next time)

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

(edited by Cina Reas.6938)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

(p.s, I have enjoyed this event, but I cannot shake the fear of abuse next time)

I’m not sure that you know what abuse is.

Behold: Opinions!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

All I’m going to remember about this event is how ANet bent over backwards for its players to try to make up for a mismanaged Lost Shores event, and how people refused to look past the noses on their own greedy, entitled faces, demanding more and more. The wanters will hold out a hand to beg for more whilst stabbing you repeatedly with the knife in their other hand.

The dungeon suffered from bugs that kept some from getting their cogs, so Anet (knowing they don’t have time to hunt down who missed out and who didn’t, at least not before the event has ended) quickly steps up and gifts everyone some cogs to make up for that. Similarly, the chest has the same problem, so they gift everyone through the mail too. And people have the gall to respond to these free gifts with more complaining, crying about how some people got more than others because they didn’t have the bugs and blah blah blah. Yes, the bugs should not have happened. But they did. And ANet thought it best to respond to them quickly. I think they did an amazing job with this event, and have been very prompt in trying to make right with any of the problems in this event.

What I love most of all is this logic that you DESERVE all five minis from this event. I assume none of the people complaining about this event have ever played GW1, because in GW1, nobody just got free minis. You had to pray to the RNG gods (and sacrificing a few goats to them didn’t hurt) to get just ONE, because they had absurdly low drop rates. This game has been way more generous in how it dotes out its minis so far, and people have the gall to complain about that. It’s entitlement mentality in a nutshell with these folks. Pay them no mind, ANet. You did good this year.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Comicus.4036

Comicus.4036

From an event that caters to many different types of player and playstyles, you take what you want, and leave what you do not want OR CANNOT DO. I cannot do the bells, not even more than 3 notes before I get kicked, deservedly. I cannot for some reason do the JP here, even tho I know I should get it. I may try again but will not whine if at the end I cannot complete it. And snowball fight, not a chance, not interested at all. I have done all Tixx and Toypocalypse, have farmed presents for hours, made a mini soldier and enjoyed most activities that I can do. This is a good event, not perfect, but good enough and comparable to what you ever got from GW1. Why should you be able to get everything here, when you could not in most, if not all other game events? What I fail at does not make Anet the culprit. just my view on it.
I do think that minis should be trade-able and disagree with the RNG aspect of gameplay. If it hurts you that much; costs you that much money and peace of mind, and does not give you any pleasure, why keep on doing it?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I cannot do the bells, not even more than 3 notes before I get kicked, deservedly.

You’re either pressing the exit button, hammering out dozens of wrong notes before 3 notes have dropped, or suffering from some kind of bug, because it’s impossible to be kicked that early under normal circumstances.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Comicus.4036

[quote=1065160;Manasa Devi.7958:]

(edited by Comicus.4036)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Comicus.4036

I cannot do the bells, not even more than 3 notes before I get kicked, deservedly.

You’re either pressing the exit button, hammering out dozens of wrong notes before 3 notes have dropped, or suffering from some kind of bug, because it’s impossible to be kicked that early under normal circumstances.

Sorry not sure what happened when I edited my other post. Even after i did work out what to do and how, i could not get timing right. I quit this event cos I am not good at it, other people are, and kudos to them.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

You understand that Wintersday is a FREE HOLIDAY INSIDE A VIDEO GAME, right? ArenaNet doesn’t owe you anything. Anything you did get out of it was free, or at a cost that you yourself chose to invest. Nothing that happened here was mandatory for you to keep playing the game, nor does it grant people unfair advantages in the rest of the game.

I had some fun running Tixx’s Infinirarium a bunch of times with my friends, and wound up getting two mini-pets out of it — not to mention some exotic gear drops, a ton of those wintersday boxes of various sizes, some weapon skins, a 15-slot bag, and an awesome backpack that I gave to my alt.

I also got to experience a bunch of interesting mini-games and activities, and enjoyed hearing very skilled bell players.

With practice, a little luck, and time, I also wound up earning the Apprentice Toymaker title, which honestly isn’t that hard to get.

I admit, I did spend some leftover Gems on one of the Wintesday Mystery Boxes, in the vain hope of getting Foostivoo. I got a Santa hat out of it, which wasn’t what I was hoping for but is still pretty nice. For what was essentially a $1.25 gamble, I was willing to give it a shot.

I managed to get all this stuff out of Wintersday, for FREE (with the exception of my Santa hat), without doing anything out of the ordinary besides just playing the game normally and having a good time. Was I disappointed that I didn’t wind up getting ALL the mini-pets, including Foostivoo? Sure, but those were never promised to me, nor am I entitled to them just for showing up.

I don’t know what you have to complain about. ArenaNet put in a ton of work to give us this free holiday fun, and handed out some pretty nice rewards for participating in it. I think some gamers out there have gotten spoiled with regards to what they think a “holiday” in an MMO should be.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Threads created for the sake of complaining are against our code of conduct, as they do not provide meaningful feedback to the current issues and concerns, nor invite to constructive and healthy discussion.

Thank you.