12/28 IoJ / CD / FA (Round 2)

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

yo CD person please have some respect as FA has been defending itself all the time.We have been zerged by both servers at the same time. And we were able to hold up quit ewell, so i’d appreciate a little respect in the forums. we might not have the numbers but we still fight hard , fair and good!

No respect for FA.. not sorry to say – go look at EBG right now, y’all been bushwhacking us all week – I haven’t seen you so much as hit a IOJ supply camp. Fueled by hate – welcome to competitive PvP.

Obviously I just speak for myself.

So you went from 3rd to 1st while you think you are also being double teamed? Do you think perhaps, just maybe, other stuff is going on, on other maps where you are not?

I have seen my own server QQ about double team, while on the other side of the wall I watched the other two servers have a huge fight. Sometimes you just do not see all the fighting.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

yo CD person please have some respect as FA has been defending itself all the time.We have been zerged by both servers at the same time. And we were able to hold up quit ewell, so i’d appreciate a little respect in the forums. we might not have the numbers but we still fight hard , fair and good!

No respect for FA.. not sorry to say – go look at EBG right now, y’all been bushwhacking us all week – I haven’t seen you so much as hit a IOJ supply camp. Fueled by hate – welcome to competitive PvP.

Obviously I just speak for myself.

I prefer to respect my opponents. If I do not respect someone, I have absolutely no interest in either playing with them for fun, or competing with them. Fueled by sportsmanship and friendly competition.

I suppose I just speak for myself as well.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

After this long people still cry about double teaming. There are no double teams just time both your enemies are pushing.
If you haven’t seen FA pushing IOJ then I suggest opening your map more often. Last night both FA and CD controlled their bl and were pushing IOJ (as you should, everyone should always push the top team)
I am enjoying this week win or lose and look forward to killing you tonight and next week

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

in WvW

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

It’s all a part of our master plan to stay in third so we can hold on to our impenetrable EB keep.

We almost screwed it up last week. We almost took 2nd place by nearly 3 pts and put ourselves in a spot to defend that stupid Durios tower. That was a close one. But nope. We’re still in third which means Durios is still going to be the most easily contestable tower on the map :P

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in WvW

Posted by: Safir.9203

Safir.9203

IOJ’s golem rush

So a bunch of players, with clearly no WvW experience, decided they were going to buy some golems, thinking that would give them god mode. The inevitable happened and they failed miserably.

And you take that as an opportunity to sling mud at IoJ’s dedicated WvW playerbase?
The amount petty rubbish that comes out of some people here is astonishing.

Is a bit of respect and sportsmanship too much to ask?

If you watch sports highlights and one team beats another, do we consider it disrespectful to the losing team to celebrate victory? I think not, your assumptions are as silly as asking for blind respect for foolish actions.

Um, sorry, but your analogy is crap.

When sports teams are EVEN and it is a good match up, then celebration for a victory is fine. But if you were to have a professional team annihilating a bunch of 6 year olds in a game, and then running around celebrating and giving each other high fives for such “pwnage”, then it’s clear how unwarranted that kind of celebration is.

In other words, you guys are patting yourselves on the back and lol’ing about how dumb IoJ was because you made a bunch of WvW noobs look bad. You must be sooo proud of that kind of an accomplishment. ;P

FYI, the people who look poorly here aren’t the fail IoJ’ers, it’s those who think so highly of winning such a lame, one-sided fight.

“Hey, I just beat my 6 y/o nephew in basketball! Better make a video of his humiliating defeat and celebrate my ‘victory.’”

Epitome of classy, guys :/

P.S. uA is no scrub guild and this might have been training, could have been miscommunication, or who knows what. Still, the only laughing I’m doing as I watch your video is that things are going so poorly for you that this is the kind of “victories” you have to point at to feel good about yourself. How sad.

(edited by Safir.9203)

in WvW

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Golem ‘rushes’ on IOJ can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour in the making. It depends on what the guilds and alliance are doing.

Here’s a short video of IOJ’s golem rush on Greenbriar in FA BL a couple of hours ago. You guys brought six golems (maybe 5, it’s hard to tell) and the NPC commander Siegerazor to Greenbriar and did about 1% damage to the gate.

I think these were the worst piloted golems I’ve ever seen. They spent more time spinning around trying to hit defenders than they did hitting the gate.

Right back at you *wink:

http://youtu.be/fvgvdOR2IMs

A video of over an hour siege of Greenbriar where FA with superior numbers could not break 15 or so IoJ’ers

(video is just under 20mins to include all the different attempts and counter tactics, enjoy! )

(edited by kylia.4813)

in WvW

Posted by: iBludgeon.1538

iBludgeon.1538

IOJ’s golem rush

So a bunch of players, with clearly no WvW experience, decided they were going to buy some golems, thinking that would give them god mode. The inevitable happened and they failed miserably.

And you take that as an opportunity to sling mud at IoJ’s dedicated WvW playerbase?

If you watch sports highlights and one team beats another, do we consider it disrespectful to the losing team to celebrate victory? I think not, your assumptions are as silly as asking for blind respect for foolish actions.

When sports teams are EVEN and it is a good match up, then celebration for a victory is fine. But if you were to have a professional team annihilating a bunch of 6 year olds in a game, and then running around celebrating and giving each other high fives for such “pwnage”, then it’s clear how unwarranted that kind of celebration is.

In other words, you guys are patting yourselves on the back and lol’ing about how dumb IoJ was because you made a bunch of WvW noobs look bad. You must be sooo proud of that kind of an accomplishment. ;P

FYI, the people who look poorly here aren’t the fail IoJ’ers, it’s those who think so highly of winning such a lame, one-sided fight.

“Hey, I just beat my 6 y/o nephew in basketball! Better make a video of his humiliating defeat and celebrate my ‘victory.’”

P.S. uA is no scrub guild and this might have been training, could have been miscommunication, or who knows what. Still, the only laughing I’m doing as I watch your video is that things are going so poorly for you that this is the kind of “victories” you have to point at to feel good about yourself. How sad.

Wow. Why don’t you personalize it and embellish a little more, none of us really cared that this happened, we moved on to the next campaign after this.

My analogy to keep it in the confines of the fact that it is a GAME is “crap” yet your analogy involves beating a nephew with a baseball bat? Nice. That sounds much more articulate than my description. This is a game, that’s how we saw it, it was a bad play, that’s all it was. The video was not meant to mock an entire server’s golem abilities, it was a bad play that we predicted in advance and recorded, that’s all. If you are getting offended at that reality maybe you should stay off the forums before you continue to insult people over your opinions and 6-year old nephew beating analogies.

Commander Ibludgeon
Guild Leader of PRO
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Hey, I just beat my 6 y/o nephew in basketball!

your analogy involves beating a nephew with a baseball bat? Nice.

/facepalm

It’s sad this kind of BS comes from the leader of a respected WvW guild.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Diashame.6328

Diashame.6328

Nice vid Kylia, between Avtr and Ret of FA(from memory) it would be one hell of a battle to watch. You guys prob in dif time zones though.

Dia – [RET]
Fort Aspenwood – the PvP server

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

Hey, I just beat my 6 y/o nephew in basketball!

your analogy involves beating a nephew with a baseball bat? Nice.

/facepalm

It’s sad this kind of BS comes from the leader of a respected WvW guild.

This juxtaposition of those quotes represents most everything that’s wrong with MMO forums.

Regardless, I’ve had fun with this match-up, even if I can’t seem to find an even fight anywhere. Such is WvW.

in WvW

Niim.9260

Thanks to all the CD folks I had fun with tonight, chillin and hanging out with in IoJ borderlands.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Safir.9203

Wow. Why don’t you personalize it and embellish a little more, none of us really cared that this happened, we moved on to the next campaign after this.

>“none of us really care that this happened”
>“we moved on to the next campaign after this”
>none of us really care
>we moved on
>previous page of this thread = post from your side with video that calls attention to the topic, then follow-up posts about it

That’s moving on? Um, okay….

And yeah, as others pointed out, I didn’t make any such comparison about beatings or whatever, but if that’s what you get out of what I wrote, it’s all good.

I actually think it was a fine video and agree with the initial follow-up posts that mention it just shows the vast range of skill that exists on IoJ (and indeed, all worlds). My problem is when it went beyond just discussion of that nature and turned into gloating. It was only a few posters who took that tone and I ignored it until you tried to justify the “celebrating” with the sports highlights comparison.

However it came to be, the IoJ players in question in wombat’s video invariably found out how not to do breakout event. They were probably goofing around, trying to do something unconventional, and/or test something out and it blew up in there faces. Or they didn’t know any better.

Still, that is what in sports is called a “blow out” and it was nothing special in that all you guys had to do was man your siege, beat them back from your tower a bit, then AoE the golems down. All I was trying to say is that “celebrating” something like that is pretty poor in taste and acting like celebrating a video of it is okay because of sports highlights would be the equivalent of a professional team tearing apart a team of amateurs and then recording it and some of them think it’s fine to “celebrate” as they watch it because it was a sports “contest”, after all.

I brought up a fictional 6 y/o nephew to make the point that sometimes defeating an opponent who is not your equal is nothing to take pride in. You can congratulate your side for a quick and effective response (and critique opponents for their foolish mistake), but your choice of words (“celebrating”) and the tone of a few posters is precisely why that video came across so poorly. I appreciated the posters who were objective and pointed out it was a bad fail, but that it did little more than showcase that there are some IoJ players and guilds who know what works and some who are still learning….

Anyway, this is drama so I will stop. Sorry. I did not mean to personalize, I really just don’t think you are giving a valid comparison though. Even in professional sports, when two teams are clearly unevenly matched and one team blows the other team out of the competition and humiliates them, it is rare to see the winning players exuberantly celebrating. Maybe in a play-off/championship match. But seldom ever in a regular season game, which is exactly what that breakout event was.

PS—I’m sorry to see we lost 1st. I am scouting T1 to see what, if anything, I can learn there and now I realize we didn’t have things quite as locked down as I thought when I switched. My hope is that a lot of IoJ’ers were resting because we had taken a lead and they will show up to shut down CD. Good luck, IoJ^^

(edited by Safir.9203)

in WvW

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Honestly pretty disappointed with fighting IOJ in general. I have yet to see a WVW guild that’s worth a lick on that server and coming from tier 2 I assumed the opposite. Sure there’s a ton of them (until recently) but there’s not much skill in having superior numbers and spamming map chat when you see an enemy about to attack a tower/keep and getting your zerg wave to move.

CD on the other hand has done the opposite, they’ve really been tough competition and I have seen even individual players stand out with good builds/player abilities.

in WvW

Posted by: terialk.6174

terialk.6174

Thanks to all the CD folks I had fun with tonight, chillin and hanging out with in IoJ borderlands.

It was nice seeing our long lost brother from SF

Terieleth | Tirieleth | Terial Dreamweaver/Duskwalker
- Terror [TG]| Crystal Desert
- go-terror.com

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

Honestly pretty disappointed with fighting IOJ in general. I have yet to see a WVW guild that’s worth a lick on that server and coming from tier 2 I assumed the opposite. Sure there’s a ton of them (until recently) but there’s not much skill in having superior numbers and spamming map chat when you see an enemy about to attack a tower/keep and getting your zerg wave to move.

CD on the other hand has done the opposite, they’ve really been tough competition and I have seen even individual players stand out with good builds/player abilities.

Think about what your saying, lol. So we’re so bad that we keep beating your server that makes sense. Now this is no slag against fa I think you guys have some of the best defence around just need to be more aggressive. Just this guy is got be joking. We have made lots of mistakes this week and seem to have lots of people away but still not doing too bad. Also week before we came to teir 3 we lost a guild of 400 wvw and others sure have followed but we still come out strong week after week so that says something about or core group of guilds. IOJ all the way!!!

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

(edited by JPSnow.8296)

in WvW

kylia.4813

Come play in the Oceanic timeslot *grin

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Think about what your saying, lol. So we’re so bad that we keep beating your server that makes sense. Now this is no slag against fa I think you guys have some of the best defence around just need to be more aggressive. Just this guy is a joke.

He’s saying your tactics are bad, which is different from your population, and it’s population that wins WvW matches. A server full of idiots with 24/7 coverage will always beat a server with that can field WvW experts only 6 hrs a day. But that’s how Anet designed their scoring system, so there it is.

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

Wow all the trolls come out, cd has bigger wvw population then IOJ so what does that say?

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

Now this is no slag against fa I think you guys have some of the best defence around just need to be more aggressive.

The hilarious part about this comment is that we struggled against TC/YB because we were too aggressive and didn’t defend enough, as they were prehistoric turtlesaurus. It was a working strategy, so it’s no sleight, but the fact that suddenly we’re the defensive world is amusing to me.

in WvW

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Right back at you *wink:

A video of over an hour siege of Greenbriar where FA with superior numbers could not break 15 or so IoJ’ers

(video is just under 20mins to include all the different attempts and counter tactics, enjoy! )

Amazing video!

I watched this right from beginning to end. I especially loved the portal from the back of the lords room. That probably gave them a pretty significant ‘oh kitten’ moment :P

I think you mentioned that you’re largely an oceanic guild which is too bad. I would love to see a video for RET vs. AVTR.

RET is in the american timezones

in WvW

kylia.4813

Right back at you *wink:

Amazing video!

I watched this right from beginning to end. I especially loved the portal from the back of the lords room. That probably gave them a pretty significant ‘oh kitten’ moment :P

I think you mentioned that you’re largely an oceanic guild which is too bad. I would love to see a video for RET vs. AVTR.

RET is in the american timezones

Weekend perhaps

in WvW

Posted by: Hekatombaion.4320

Hekatombaion.4320

Then you need the players who are respected on your server (sometimes including your better commanders) to lead by example and model the behavior you want to see from others. After all, why should your world’s players be willing to forgo fun if the people asking for them to stay behind can’t be bothered to stick around…?

That’s a problem when the behavior is “splitting up” though. The best way I can come up with to advertise it is “There’s only 2 of us repairing this gate” but I’ve seen that even when commanders want something repaired it’s everyone or no one doing it with them.

When they actually recognize the importance of defending a location they end up forced to sit passively in a tower just so people will stay there instead of leaving it empty. There’s just no way for a commander to tell players “don’t be where I am” and have them listen- I’ve sat in listening to them coordinate who’s going to turn the tag on or off and when just to try and get pugs to station themselves in sane locations while the players on teamspeak do smaller objectives that aren’t worth the time they take if it means marching the entire server over there to do it.

-

Escorting yaks with just two or four people is actually something I only really see the big guilds doing in their off time*, yet actually one of the only ways to do an objective that doesn’t actually need huge numbers for. It’s also not the actionless task that a lot of newer players expect either- you get to fight a lot of thieves and mesmers who don’t have much backup or sneaky terrain options when they come to gank them. You don’t get this with every single yak obviously but anybody can haste those things to get that much more supply into keeps (and did you know that you get score points when they drop off supplies? Get these things in when you’re not feeling like rolling around in a zerg for top score folks!)

IOJ’s golem rush

Actually he didn’t say anything dirty about your server, only that people from it were piloting those golems. Seeing as he quoted a post that said there was a lot of variation in the setup of said rushes depending on who’s involved this is kind of the least mud slinging of the IoJ server he could possibly do without acting like he couldn’t tell what color the players were.

These particular players? Bad. IoJ golem rushes with experienced players? Good enough that we seem to have trouble waypointing fast enough to stop you capping keeps undefended.

Maybe they need to provide better rewards for certain behaviors.

Actually they used to give you event rewards for getting dolyaks through but the early bots would just walk with the yak to automatically get the rewards (and they didn’t have any reaction for if the yak got attacked.) Then people found out they could just idle over the gate.

I’m hoping the February update adds some kind of event to dolyak escorting.
Seems like they could do some events where it just counts your “contribution” in hastes applied to the yak, players killed near it, or maybe heals applied to the yak. Similar events could pop up for walls that are damaged for how much supply you put into them, events for fixing the walls after the “repel attackers” events are over, etc.

TBH something about the choices your server makes in attacking earns you grudges. I can’t quite put my finger on it but every time we’ve tried to focus on the green players it isn’t long before there’s this strong urge to just pummel you for the rest of the week. Not so much me personally as I’d love to stay in the emerald border all week but a lot of the people I play with end up convinced you’ve player extra dirty before the halfway point in these matches.

This week seems to have been the exception even though you’re probably out in consistently bigger numbers than you have been for weeks.

Italucuc[KH] – 80 Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Hekatombaion.4320

Hekatombaion.4320

After this long people still cry about double teaming. There are no double teams just time both your enemies are pushing.
If you haven’t seen FA pushing IOJ then I suggest opening your map more often. Last night both FA and CD controlled their bl and were pushing IOJ (as you should, everyone should always push the top team)
I am enjoying this week win or lose and look forward to killing you tonight and next week

Not always, but frequently to be sure. If the score stays like this both teams should push CD that much more often just to keep us on our toes- presumably until one of you is ahead on points. In prior threads I’ve said more than enough about why many weeks end up playing out very differently though.

Now this is no slag against fa I think you guys have some of the best defence around just need to be more aggressive.

The hilarious part about this comment is that we struggled against TC/YB because we were too aggressive and didn’t defend enough, as they were prehistoric turtlesaurus. It was a working strategy, so it’s no sleight, but the fact that suddenly we’re the defensive world is amusing to me.

I am kind of confused about how we’ve managed to take the lead in points with the kind of defense CD regularly displays. I guess we’re better at defending wood keeps than fully upgraded ones?

Italucuc[KH] – 80 Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

kylia.4813

Could I request a score update please.

in WvW

Niim.9260

It was nice seeing our long lost brother from SF

Indeed, was good talking to some old friends again. Maybe now when I wave at you guys you will wave first and then attack, rather then just attack

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

IOJ’s golem rush

This wasn’t a one sided fight or have u been there?No, I don’t think so.

IOJ was for hours trying to get stuff in our bl, the nearly ninja’d BAy, the build 4 trebs, 8 catas and had over 4 or 5 breakouts, believe me it was a hell of a fight and if you are calling your own guild UA (as a lot of them were from UA) a bunch of babies, i think you own them a apology, as they were ver presistent and hard fighters.

Why can’t u guys just take it as a fun video? It’s not to troll or say hey we are better..no it is for fun as we were laughing after fighting for hours. Cmon I mean first time we met a few of your guilds and got destroyed by mesmer attacks over and over , u guys posted a video, now have u seen anyone of us insulting or crying about it?NO, noone from PRO did and guess what we learned from it even though we still sometimes get into the mesmer trap.

So instead of attacking PRO for having a fun moment which should be part of the game, u might wanna stop taking this personally and have fun.. even TC made a video of themselves were they lost 41 GOLEMS to 1 OIL.and guess what?WE all laughed.
It’s a GAME!oi

btw TC attacked the same tower with 3 OMEGA and 2 alphas and it was wooden and they failed too.U thin we are bad players as u stated on youtube?

LEt me prove u wrong!

3 omegas,2 alphas vs our wooden tower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUzJBhIr9RU&list=PLqbVYxfA89UMv5OSa94FHbA2raTSkQIig&index=52

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

(edited by selan.8354)

in WvW

Safir.9203

I don’t get what the reading comprehension problem is. uA is not my guild and I was certainly not calling them babies (???). I was saying something was obviously off for them to try golems in a break out event, but adding that they are not a scrub guild (I have fought with them before and they normally have their stuff together). But, like you said, I wasn’t there, so I guess I didn’t realize how close it really was (and the amount of time you had been fending off attacks). Sorry.

It just seemed to me like it was pretty lop-sided because they had no counter to your siege and a lack of people on the ground. Personally, I wouldn’t have gone to the trouble to post something like that video, but I realize now that I shouldn’t rain on your parade. If you guys enjoyed yourself and are having fun, more power to you.

Btw, I did say you guys were using siege and AOE’ing. If I forgot to mention siege, apologies. It’s just I didn’t think that doing that was that exceptional because that’s just how you protect gates and is precisely why golems are a less than ideal option for breakout events.

Anyway, I did not mean any hate. Honestly. My problem was with reactions to the video and to saying those kinds of reactions are all good because it’s celebrating like when one team beats another in a sporting contest. It doesn’t come across to me that way. That’s all.

We obviously disagree on that point and I’ve said my piece, so I’ll leave it at that if you guys will. I’m very anxious to get back to IoJ and fight this out. Screw talking. And I die…. a lot, and in very stupid ways, so I’m sure any of you who care will be able to have the last laugh and “celebrate” some victories over me very soon.

See you out there… :P

in WvW

Posted by: JKRJSTR.4019

JKRJSTR.4019

Hey I’m stuck in Bangkok cause my flight got delayed :/

Anyway good job to ioj ,fa and cd , scores looks awesome ! Proud of CD man , can’t wait to get back home !

in WvW

Posted by: Riddickk.7091

Riddickk.7091

Folk.2093

What time zone and guild do you represent? If you are going to boldy hold in contempt the skill of IOJ as a server, you would put yourself and your guild’s Honor up for all to see. I think I can speak for Helioz when I say that we most definitely look for good fights with all opponents who raise their blade against us!

I find that CD usually has superior numbers, with FA more even with IOJ during prime EST.

Roddrickk-80 Asuran Warrior
Guild: Helioz

in WvW

Posted by: Maniac.5163

Maniac.5163

snip

Settle down, man. This whole “golem” incident was after a 3+ hour long siege on the tower by IoJ, organised guilds. Finally they failed the last attempt on walls (superior trebs at ruins) they went quiet for a bit after wiping our defensive siege at the tower (again). We sent some scouts around and found them building multiple golems – we got the oil and other siege up about 45 seconds before the golems got to the gate which is why you see them standing there looking very confused while getting wailed on. Nobody is celebrating a “blowout victory” against inexperienced or weaker teams. I didn’t see the outmanned buff on them.

It’s funny in these forums, the team you are on is always outnumbered but far more adept at mashing buttons.

in WvW

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

I am kind of confused about how we’ve managed to take the lead in points with the kind of defense CD regularly displays. I guess we’re better at defending wood keeps than fully upgraded ones?

Kinda ironic how true that is. CD has no defenders. All the commanders follow the strategy of letting the towers fall then re-take it afterwards. Maybe we can call ourselves the viking server or something.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in WvW

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Actually they used to give you event rewards for getting dolyaks through but the early bots would just walk with the yak to automatically get the rewards (and they didn’t have any reaction for if the yak got attacked.) Then people found out they could just idle over the gate.

Maybe since they’re getting better at weeding out bots they could reintroduce this. And if it only gave out event credit at the end, maybe it would be better to have it slowly drip out reward along the way, like how in an early Norn Renown Heart you follow some wolves around, and get a tick towards heart completion every few seconds that you stay within about 20ft of them. Make it so that there are dozens of invisible “waypoints” along the route, and each time you move from one to the next with a Yak next to you, you get a small dollop of Karma/XP/whatever.

They don’t all have to be “Events,” but there should be some drip of reward for your efforts. I just ran back two Dolyaks to SMC an hour or so ago, and it was super boring, even though we were chain-Swifting it. I like to chip in where I can, but I can’t say I was having any fun, or feeling that I was getting anything personal out of it.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in WvW

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

It’s funny in these forums, the team you are on is always outnumbered but far more adept at mashing buttons.

I feel like this was by design. The game itself is angled towards making you feel like you’re always outnumbered.

Ever notice that hostile pets/mesmer clones all show the same colour, but all friendly pets/clones do not? At a glance, you can see that your side only has a handful of players (even when surrounded by beastmaster necros and mesmers), but when the enemy is grouped together, there is absolutely no way of telling how many there are.

For me, a good rule of thumb is to estimate the enemy’s numbers and multiply by 2/3.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Kinda ironic how true that is. CD has no defenders. All the commanders follow the strategy of letting the towers fall then re-take it afterwards. Maybe we can call ourselves the viking server or something.

I know this feel.

My problem is that when I DO try to defend, nobody helps, or the enemy is smart enough to stay out of my range. Sometimes they employ 4+ sieges, of which 2 are catapults, 1 is an arrow cart aiming at the only place you can hit the people at the gate at, and the last the actual ram for the door. This is the problem, sometimes it feels more like an uphill battle to defend than to actually attack a tower, and I have a feeling some of the more experienced players in CD realize this.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Ohoni.6057

Hey, here’s a question, how do you target players that are up on a wall and out of sight from the ground? I ask this because I was up on the wall of Greenbriar once, using an arrow cart in a way where I know that neither of us was visible from the ground, and yet I was getting Scorpion Wired right off the wall, or Dragon Toothed, or Entangled constantly. Whenever I try to fire upwards from the ground at enemies that are not visible, I just get “obstructed,” or can’t target them at all.

done by now.”

in WvW

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

I’m noticing a recurring theme in forum posts, so I thought I’d offer my quick input on it. This is regarding (poor) commander behavior. I am not trying to defend poor command decisions—just offer an alternative perspective. I do not profess to be the best commander, but I’m certainly not the worst, so take what I have with a grain of salt.

1) Commanders don’t defend dolyaks or supply camps.

As a leader of (what I would consider) a well-organized guild, the last thing I want my group doing is standing in one place doing nothing. A good group of fighters should be doing exactly that. Fighting. All of the time. You don’t let ‘the zerg’ do all the fighting or you’ll never get anywhere. A good commander will always put the strong foot forward. Smaller groups/guilds should be defending these resources. If the commander stops to defend them, then no one else will.

2) Commanders don’t talk on Team Chat (This might be an FA exclusive complaint…)

At the risk of sounding harsh, the reason for this is because a commander cannot rely on the zerg. Never can a commander issue the command “Defend Supply Camp A” and expect everyone to bend to his will and accomplish it. If Supply Camp A needs to be defended, the commander will have to do it, making the command rendered effectively useless.
That is not to say that a commander should be silent. Only that the only orders that will be sent out on team chat are to accomplish trivial, and easy-to-do things that only 1/10 players will actually do. IE: “I need someone to man the trebs at the keep and fire at Tower B for a while.”

3) Why are we double teaming Faction C? We should be Killing Faction B.

This is probably the biggest problem with having 3-way battles. It’s been the same since Dark Age of Camelot. This isn’t Starcraft. People fight the opponent who is most likely going to give them the most victories. A commander who does not command a guild (Common) cannot be expected to routinely wipe his zerg by attacking the harder opponent. The zerg will, inevitably, disband after a series of demoralizing defeats. To build morale, the commander may switch to the weaker opponent (maybe because they’re already under attack) to rebuild the zerg’s confidence in him.

4) Commanders are always attacking, never defending.

This sort of falls into the same bracket as point 1. A good guild/group should always be fighting. The only way to guarantee a constant conflict is to be on the offensive. Defense can easily be handled by small groups of players. And an enemy offensive can easily be wiped off the map by simply holding the door for 2-3 minutes and typing into team chat:

“Faction C has 20 players at Tower B. Wall at 80% dropping fast. 3 catapults up to the west side.”

Good intel means a commander will be able to judge more accurately if he is able to accomplish his goals prior to returning. Or if he should abandon his tasks and return. Too many players type this into team chat: “HELP. We’re under attack at Tower b!”.

Not helpful.

The truth is most commanders know what they’re doing. We’ve all played RISK when we were kids and we know we need to make pacts and attack the winners, etc. You cannot assume you know more than everyone else—and you may not have fully grasped the concepts listed above until you’ve actually got a list of players following you.

For any aspiring commanders I would offer this.
My philosophy has always been:

I would follow the command of any player, who would follow mine.

(edited by KrazyFlyinChicken.5936)

in WvW

kylia.4813

Hey, here’s a question, how do you target players that are up on a wall and out of sight from the ground? I ask this because I was up on the wall of Greenbriar once, using an arrow cart in a way where I know that neither of us was visible from the ground, and yet I was getting Scorpion Wired right off the wall, or Dragon Toothed, or Entangled constantly. Whenever I try to fire upwards from the ground at enemies that are not visible, I just get “obstructed,” or can’t target them at all.

You can’t. Need you to target them when visible
A lot of people will target you as you run in or get pulled to the edge and then you will get ctrl-t so that the entire group can target you.
Some pulls like tc of the Mesmer don’t require line of sight.

P.s. anyone have a score update??

in WvW

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

3) Why are we double teaming Faction C? We should be Killing Faction B.

Good post up there. I agree with almost all of it, except this one point I quoted. The reason I don’t agree with it is you’re missing the bigger picture. I could tell from reading your post you were on FA, because this is basically FA’s game plan consistently from weekly reset on.

While sending your zerg in to take easier targets might seem like the ideal tactic, it’s really only hurting you in the long run. Your server will never put itself in the position where you have a real chance at 1st place, and that’s going to hut your morale, not only over the course of the whole week, but as a WvW server in general.

Sure you might take some keep or camp’s from the 2nd place server, and that seems like a win. But in reality all you’ve done is force the 2nd place team (who should also be attacking 1st) to turn their attention on you. Not only have you forced yourself into a situation where you’re the ones getting double teamed (by two stronger servers than you) but it’s allowed the strongest server ample time to bulk up it’s defenses and secure a greater point advantage on the board. You’ve traded a few small wins for the over all grand loss. The idea that this is good for morale is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

A good commander doesn’t give up on a chance at winning from the start or hide from real challenges. He attempts to develop a winning strategy, to take hard targets, to keep the strongest of enemies off balance, and inspires courage and confidence in his soldiers that it can be done.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

in WvW

Posted by: Twinbabas.6053

Twinbabas.6053

Will someone help our guild Charr?….he hasn’t stopped crying since the tragic event that unfolded with his Aspenwood love….

in WvW

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Will someone help our guild Charr?….he hasn’t stopped crying since the tragic event that unfolded with his Aspenwood love….

http://www.yo.utube.com/watch?v=aqe-OmSEIBU

LOL!

in WvW

Niim.9260

The reason I don’t agree with it is you’re missing the bigger picture.

I agree with your general view that avoiding tough fights is just plain silly. Losing against a larger force is only demoralizing if you run in hap hazard and get stomped. Losing against a larger force while killing as many or more, will in my opinion increase moral and also be a hell of a lot of fun. The bottom line is you never get better or learn anything, from fighting an easy fight.

I do question what big picture? A week long battle is hardly a big picture, frankly it is inconsequential. The scoreboard itself is largely driven by what server has the best 24/7 coverage, which essentially makes it meaningless, particularly when population can shift dramatically one week to the next.

I think the biggest issue with WvW as a system, is that it entirely lacks a meaningful long term big picture, at least in my opinion.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

I think the misconception in my post is that I am offering an alternative perspective so that one might better understand the mentality of a commander. I’m not trying to suggest that commanders should avoid tough fights. Only that, if a commander chooses to fight the hard targets—he must be met with some measure of success or face abandonment.

If a commander fails to take the hard target, he must move on. If he does not, the players that were following him will follow someone else who is not fighting the hard targets, and the result is the same.

A zerg is not mindless, but to understand it (and manipulate it) you must think of it like it’s being controlled by a 10-year old boy. You don’t try to reason with him—he will not listen. You show him that, by following you, he will get to kill many bad peoples. When he trusts you, you can lead him back to where he needs to go. And without thinking, he will go.

Edit: Of course, all of this is moot if you have a decent guild behind you that you can reason with. This is speaking in a general sense of commanders without guilds or regular followers. RET, for example, takes Wildcreek and Durios in fairly equal measure.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

IoJ, can’t you give a man a break and let me do the JP in Eternal Battlegrounds in peace? I mean come on, I’m just trying to do a simple JP. There’s no need to have a Golem siege wasted here (and I mean wasted).

EDIT: How nice, I had several IoJ members stop attacking the second we reach the Dark Room of the JP, and actually helped me cross it and reach the end of the JP. Makes me wish we could have it as a neutral ground devoid of combat…

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

(edited by RyuDragnier.9476)

in WvW

Raincrow.1840

To Niim…. by the big picture, I didn’t mean so much the week long battle, as an over all impression that your server is serious about / good at WvW. Losing for a week or 2 isn’t that big a deal, but if I were on a server that lost week after week, and basically continued to press a strategy that didn’t ever give a real chance to win, as much I’m all for server loyalty, I’d likely look somewhere else. That’s not an attack against any server in particular, just in general. Though I’m partial to CD, I think all the servers in this tier are pretty great in different ways.

To KrazyFlyinChicken…. Thanks for the clerification. I see what you mean now.

in WvW

Ohoni.6057

I had a bit of a brainstorm about Commanders and C&C, which was to let commanders temporarily promote other players to a sub-commander role tasked with specific goals. I detailed it here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/New-Commander-ability-Promote-Lieutenant/first#post1140183

You can’t. Need you to target them when visible
A lot of people will target you as you run in or get pulled to the edge and then you will get ctrl-t so that the entire group can target you.
Some pulls like tc of the Mesmer don’t require line of sight.

Fair enough, then how do you shake that? Getting whipped around when you can’t even see your enemy is not fun.

done by now.”

in WvW

Raincrow.1840

Ohoni… Good idea!

As for being targeted, as far as I know the best escape is to evde and move out of range, forcing them to target something else.

in WvW

Niim.9260

My friends at DRGN, you guys really need a wvw intervention with your cow, guardian commander that was in FABL tonight.

To start I suggest everyone chip in and buy him some armor, clearly he blew all his money on the commander tag and had nothing left for armor. You are a big guild, I am sure if everyone just chipped in a few silver he could buy his very first set of exotic. Proud moment I am sure.

Next, I suggest you as a guild sit down and pick out a nice build for him. I am not sure what would work best, but anything other than what he has now will be an improvement. Perhaps if you talk to some guardians outside the guild, they might help you guys with selecting the right build.

Lastly I think it is your duty as guildies, to help him expand his knowledge and skill of the guardian class. Again I suggest talking to some guardians outside the guild and come up with a lesson plan, maybe start with the basics.

In the spirit of helping I will share one of my warm-up workouts that I like to use when I haven’t played for a few days. Likely take most of the guild to help him set this up, but go to a supply camp that the enemy has just flipped and kill all the guards other then the lord. The goal is for the commander to melee the lord for the entire duration of his damage buff, using only dodge to stay alive. It is a great warm-up, I hope he finds it as useful as I do.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: kortam.2948

kortam.2948

Twinbabas.6053

I can help….. Cuz that was me on my gaurdian, and that was hilarious.

A little background of what happened before the video even. I started my gaurdian alt over the weekend but my frined, the tiny FA asuran thief that you can see in the video, has just fallen in love with playing thief and we both WvW together every morning so I figured what the heck, I’ll WvW with my gaurdian even though its only like lvl 25 or so.

Your charr buddy, he whooped my butt handily a few minutes prior to our dancing. So, having just died I respawned with my asura thief buddy and we went back to the tower where your zerg was assaulting but your guild was pretty much sitting on the rock. And i couldnt resist. I waved, he waved… and it was on. The armor came off, and as soon as I got on the rock and started dancing and wasn’t immediatly killed, I was having too much fun to stop. And when his charr knelt down, it just looked too cool to sit beside him, I was in pain from laughing.

I was surprised it went on as long as it did before someone killed me, but knew it was over as soon as the zerg came out of the tower. And I understand, you couldnt have your server finding out about his true FA love.

Thank you for the excellent video. I have checked this thread in the off chance that someone was recording.

-Kortam
FA Guild founder Ladyboy Fights
(you really dont want to know about this guild, trust me)

in WvW

Posted by: Dolores.5471

Dolores.5471

Twinbabas.6053

I can help….. Cuz that was me on my gaurdian, and that was hilarious.

A little background of what happened before the video even. I started my gaurdian alt over the weekend but my frined, the tiny FA asuran thief that you can see in the video, has just fallen in love with playing thief and we both WvW together every morning so I figured what the heck, I’ll WvW with my gaurdian even though its only like lvl 25 or so.

Your charr buddy, he whooped my butt handily a few minutes prior to our dancing. So, having just died I respawned with my asura thief buddy and we went back to the tower where your zerg was assaulting but your guild was pretty much sitting on the rock. And i couldnt resist. I waved, he waved… and it was on. The armor came off, and as soon as I got on the rock and started dancing and wasn’t immediatly killed, I was having too much fun to stop. And when his charr knelt down, it just looked too cool to sit beside him, I was in pain from laughing.

I was surprised it went on as long as it did before someone killed me, but knew it was over as soon as the zerg came out of the tower. And I understand, you couldnt have your server finding out about his true FA love.

Thank you for the excellent video. I have checked this thread in the off chance that someone was recording.

-Kortam
FA Guild founder Ladyboy Fights
(you really dont want to know about this guild, trust me)

AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA OMG!
Hilarious!

in WvW

Posted by: Caedus.6571

Caedus.6571

Just wanted to stop by and give props to CD and FA for giving us good fights earlier today. My guild decided that since CD already has a good 10k lead over us and tomorrow’s reset time, we’d just go around FABL and look for skirmishes, and basically do some good ol’ PvP.

My favorite would be the big fight in Greenvale Refuge where there would be a nonstop stream of FA and some CD pushing into the camp.

Cheers from Helioz-IoJ.

EDIT:

Also, score update:

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast WvW