[DnT] TargNyspar
Targaryen / Nymaria / Dwagonfire / Dwagonhunter

Adopt-a-Dev for the WvW Fall Tournament

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This is a great idea!

What do you mean by “region” though?

Server: Use command /ip in chat. That’s a server IP. GW2 keeps connections to at least 3 IPs.
World: WvW teams. Fort Aspenwood, Gate of Madness, Henge of Denravi , Aurora Glade, Vizunah Square Abaddon’s Mouth Baruch Bay, etc.
Region: US, EU, China. Players can’t play with people in different regions.

Do not confuse “server” and “world”. People do that a lot often because how other games use the term.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

This is a great idea!

What do you mean by “region” though?

Server: Use command /ip in chat. That’s a server IP. GW2 keeps connections to at least 3 IPs.
World: WvW teams. Fort Aspenwood, Gate of Madness, Henge of Denravi , Aurora Glade, Vizunah Square Abaddon’s Mouth Baruch Bay, etc.
-> Region: US, EU, China. Players can’t play with people in different regions.

Do not confuse “server” and “world”. People do that a lot often because how other games use the term.

I figured they would be able to tell NA vs EU vs China by the server.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

I love love love this idea. I hope it’s very successful and you guys get lots of wonderful feedback. I cannot think of a better way than this for Devs to get first hand knowledge of the day to day life in a guild.

So glad you are stepping outside of the comfort zone to give this the old ‘college try’

in WvW

Posted by: Fallen.4317

Fallen.4317

Syndictive [Syn] is a hardcore WvW/GvG guild that has applied to adopt a developer, to give the devs an inside look into the other side of the WvW community!

This is probably the most exciting thing I’ve seen Anet do about WvW, and I’m really really happy to see it. Hope we get a dev.

Syndictive [Syn] #1 GvG Guild NA pre- Heart of Thorns
[Syn] Leader/Driver – Retired.

in WvW

Posted by: marissajz.2769

marissajz.2769

Tried to send the PM to John but got the error message of go wait for 2 days. :/

in WvW

Posted by: Anubis.9346

Anubis.9346

Sorry, we left for Archeage.

Too late Anet, soon you’ll realize that you have lost your player base.

Get Get [iNk] Insidious Blink

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

We’ll be waiting for your return, just as you returned when you left for TESO and Wildstar.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: supersex.1398

supersex.1398

Please join my guild ‘s3x,’ I just started it yesterday and I feel like its already dieing. I would be happy if it was just you and me together. We could kiss and do guild missions alone. Please, I’m so lonely.

in WvW

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’m curious: will the devs be playing as generic players, or will they be sporting a Anet tag? and can the enemy see our intimidating red tag ally?

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I’m curious: will the devs be playing as generic players, or will they be sporting a Anet tag? and can the enemy see our intimidating red tag ally?

The Anet tag is the tag of their guild… If the Dev will be representing your guild, they cannot be with the Anet tag.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Enjoy your pay-to-win game!

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Enjoy your pay-to-win game!

You can buy gold in GW2, and use it to get full ascended, the best food, runes, and all around best gear. Also when gw2 first game out, buying exp boosters with gems was pretty p2w-esque too.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in WvW

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

Previous

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

Just a quick update, some of our devs have started contacting guild leaders to work out details and make sure that play times will work for everyone.

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcomes and the overwhelming response! We’ve had so many invites from guilds that it’s been a struggle to keep my inbox from filling up

Thanks Again!
John

in WvW

Posted by: alenaoreo.5206

alenaoreo.5206

Ominous Threat [oT] has applied and we’re all really looking forward to hosting a dev if we get one! We’d love to provide insight on the GvG/Scrim scene as well as our terribad-skill-group raiding~

<3

[oT] Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

Who was the key board turning Dev that did the ‘small man’ live stream where he ran around dying a lot while showing us places to put siege? He was the only ANET employee I ever saw outside of a blob, someone should snap him up.

in WvW

Posted by: MisterBang.3516

MisterBang.3516

Well, we do know in the past that J.Davis is in Blackgate and J.Boettiger is in NSP…
http://youtu.be/ysCGoW7MtMQ?t=12m10s

Would the finding from the WvW team be shared amongst the community after the tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: Aeromu.9134

Aeromu.9134

Could we request Gaile Gray to run with us?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Thank you Devs for coming out to play. We can’t wait to show you how much we love your game. And in the mean time we are having such fun trying the new WvW changes. Much props – Thank you

in WvW

Posted by: Gismor.8407

Gismor.8407

EK is looking to adopt Jessica Boettiger to make up for ram finishing her off a cliff

[EK] Guild leader → Retired
Friend Gismor – 80 Revenant
“Always outnumbered, never outgunned.”

in WvW

Posted by: godmode.3045

godmode.3045

my guild use voice chat almost exclusively, are dev’s willing to join a guild that use mumble or TS?

in WvW

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

EK is looking to adopt Jessica Boettiger to make up for ram finishing her off a cliff

Oh God, that was you guys? Lmao, I approve of this idea.

Second Child

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

i hope devs stay undercover , this means no anet tags , no unique , fancy armors / weapons and nobody will know about him/her except the leader of guild and ofc has a good and unique wvw build.

if a dev can follow these rules i can show him how fun is to play wvw outnumbered all the times

in WvW

Posted by: Powercarr.2704

Powercarr.2704

Too late anet.. </3 ily doe

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

So not to be negative, as I like this idea a lot. There is a real problem with this as I see it. If one assumes that most of the “devs” aren’t in real WvW guilds, which I think is reasonable otherwise they wouldn’t need to do this, their experience is going to be pretty dang fantastic no matter what happens in the tourney.

Those of us who are in well organized WvW dedicated guilds all experienced that feeling when you joined that guild, finally figured out what people were talking about when they said “get on TS”, when you finally were able to understand why your zerg was stacked up and why they all turned right without any warning. And, of course, we all have gotten a lot better.

So, I doubt any participating dev is going to come away from the experience saying, “wow WvW really IS stale and boring”, no they are all going to high-five each other yelling “OMG! OMG! WvW is amazeballs!!, we win!!” The real problem is that we all experienced that a year or two ago and we have been doing the same thing over and over and over again for 1 or 2 years which is the real problem. WvW is AWESOME, BUT IT HASN’T CHANGED AND THAT IS BORING.
Maybe the best outcome is that the devs come away with the feeling, "hey this WvW stuff is really cool, we should spend more time “developing” it. But the other possibility is they come away saying “WvW was really fun, not sure what the problem is….”

in WvW

Posted by: Wilif The Wanderer.4957

Wilif The Wanderer.4957

So not to be negative, as I like this idea a lot. There is a real problem with this as I see it. If one assumes that most of the “devs” aren’t in real WvW guilds, which I think is reasonable otherwise they wouldn’t need to do this, their experience is going to be pretty dang fantastic no matter what happens in the tourney.

Those of us who are in well organized WvW dedicated guilds all experienced that feeling when you joined that guild, finally figured out what people were talking about when they said “get on TS”, when you finally were able to understand why your zerg was stacked up and why they all turned right without any warning. And, of course, we all have gotten a lot better.

So, I doubt any participating dev is going to come away from the experience saying, “wow WvW really IS stale and boring”, no they are all going to high-five each other yelling “OMG! OMG! WvW is amazeballs!!, we win!!” The real problem is that we all experienced that a year or two ago and we have been doing the same thing over and over and over again for 1 or 2 years which is the real problem. WvW is AWESOME, BUT IT HASN’T CHANGED AND THAT IS BORING.
Maybe the best outcome is that the devs come away with the feeling, "hey this WvW stuff is really cool, we should spend more time “developing” it. But the other possibility is they come away saying “WvW was really fun, not sure what the problem is….”

My, and many who don’t bother with the forums, thoughts exactly.
WvWvW has housed some of the most interesting community events, group coordination, and group bonding I’ve seen in any MMO for a while. Yet you have done so little (or at least it appears to the community) to make the hardcore WvW guilds and players, both fight and PPT (but mainly fight), feel as if the game cares for them the same way it does the PvE and esports communities. Hardcore WvWers put in more time and energy playing this game than you realize, and they’re getting tired. Like many have made note of, most of the most talented fight guilds and players, have left the game out of frustration, boredom, etc.
Sorry for the rant, but I do feel like this is what the WvW devs should’ve been doing from day one. See who the hardcore people are, see who the best fighters are, observe the mechanics and coordinated guild builds in action at the highest level, and on the largest scale. Not trying to bash anyone, it is after all a great idea. Just late.

Elementalists have more fun. Blondes can eat it.

Lvl80 Dwarf-Norn of [PR] Phoenixes Reborn

in WvW

Posted by: Relakos.6439

Relakos.6439

Tempest Wolves [TW] is excited for this opportunity. It’s a great idea to bring the devs and the players together in a an environment where the dev can easily see things from the guild’s perspective. We look forward to this opportunity and hope that we are allowed the chance to host an ANet Dev!

Relokas the Hammer | Tempest Wolves [TW]

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I feel this will end up just like the ‘amazing wvw video compliation’ with nothing but gushing positives.

They need to assign devs to each tier, and experience it from within an organised guild, then solo, then on ts, then not, and experience both prime time and dead time. On different classes. It’s a long project, that should be done OUTSIDE of the tournament.

Sadly what will happen is the devs will join big guilds on popular servers during the tournament when the population is hugely swelled by achievement hunters and they will get completely the wrong idea of what wvw is really like during a normal week.

Hopefully they won’t jump the huge prime time queue’s so they can experience the waiting too.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I still hope that at least one decides to visit Tier 8. Even if its not ET.

Teh Ouchies

in WvW

Posted by: Jessica Boettiger.2563

Previous

Jessica Boettiger.2563

WvW/PvP/Skills Principal QA

Next

Dat ram… I can’t even be mad about it.

in WvW

Baldrick.8967

Before you all go on your jollies, get someone to take a look at this stupid light aura retal- or better yet, try playing FT engi, LB ranger or any type of ele or aoe user. It’s basically designed to make the only viable classes guard and warrior, with maybe necros. Eles don’t dare throw MS.

But I’m sure is OK and working as intended.

Maybe after the devs play wvw they will rework a lot of the skills when they see the effects of a lot of them in group play.

Can we get a list of what classes the devs play during this ‘test’- there should be an equal distribution so they can experience all the fun to be had from certain skills or being unable to cast anything in larger fights while warriors and guardian merrily press 1 and tag everything in sight.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Anaktas.7390

Anaktas.7390

Eternal Illumination, Seafarer’s Rest guild, would love to adopt a developer. (We prefer female cute asuras if possible.)

Sent some to EU tier 1, we will take good care of him and not cyberbully (Promise.)

Thank you very much Anet for doing this.
Have fun all in WvW and enjoy this League,

Best Regards,
~ Duke

Commander of Seafarer’s Rest.
Eternal Illumination[EB] Guild Leader.

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord Lu Bu.7905

Warlord Lu Bu.7905

Will any more Devs be contacting guild leaders? I haven’t seen a reply yet :*(

War Legend Lu Bu – Commander
[WäR] Warband of Absolute Retribution
Borlis Pass

in WvW

Posted by: infrontier.3158

infrontier.3158

:D please

I was there already on russian localization, sandbox lineage clone that want’s to be innovative in class making , but everyone building same trash, cause from 70+ classes , only 7 is playable. When you’ll try everything like i did, you will get bored and get back to Guild Wars 2 ( like i also did ).

Looking forward to see what will this tournament bring.

Keep a good work anet <3

in WvW

Baldrick.8967

It will bring the usual huge queues and zerk warriors and guardians.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

It will bring the usual huge queues and zerk warriors and guardians.

I don’t know what are these “queues” you people keep speaking off…

in WvW

Posted by: Nigoshi.5179

Nigoshi.5179

^this

Yep, that was me. (>~,..,~)>

in WvW

Posted by: Epsilon Atreides.3816

Epsilon Atreides.3816

I think it would be appropriate for one of the devs to spend the season on Maguuma.

Epsilon
Mag/FA

in WvW

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

With the tournament starting today, are we going to get a list of where the dev’s went? We do not necessarily need the list of guilds where they went to, but the servers would be nice.

Teh Ouchies

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Previous

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

Next

Hey everyone, I signed up with Syndictive [Syn] on Sea of Sorrows. Thanks for all the enthusiastic responses! The other adopted devs should be coming along to post their new guilds as well.

in WvW

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

Previous

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

Hello Tyrians!

Another big thanks for signing up your guilds to host a dev! We had far more guilds sign up than I could possibly respond to so please accept my apologies for not individually responding to each sign up. We are really excited and humbled by the tremendous amount of enthusiasm we have received from you.

Everyone from the WvW team has found a home. Several devs in other areas have also jumped in because they wanted to be part of the fun. I’ll keep sign ups going for the next few days in case we have other late comers looking for a new home.

Finally, I wanted to give a big thanks to my new guild. A kind soul (who likes soul-reaping) saw me in the window and took me home to the kind folks of DmD on Devona’s Rest. I had a great time playing with my new family and I’m really looking forward to the weeks ahead!

Thanks!
John

in WvW

Posted by: Samuel Loretan.8601

Previous

Samuel Loretan.8601

Next

Hey guys,

I’ll be playing with the [RAID] guild on Vizunah Square [FR]. It’s awesome to see such an overwhelming response to this project, and I’m looking forward to fight (with) you in the field.

in WvW

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Previous

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

Next

I have signed up with the mighty [CERN] on Tarnished Coast! I wanted to say thank you to all the guilds that wanted to host us Devs for the Fall Tournament. I hope to see you on the battle field! All your bags are belong to us!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Steve Fowler.1498

Previous

Steve Fowler.1498

Head of Global Marketing

Next

Hello WvW folks! I have signed up with Semper Dius [Dius] on Kodash EU server to help them take down the dreaded Seafarer’s and Desolation bullies! I look forward to some good fights. I will try and live up to Semper Dius [Dius] standards!

FIght On!

in WvW

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Previous

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Hey Tarnished Coasters!

I’ll be playing with Tarnished Coast Field Medics [TCFM] this season.

Should be fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Jessica Boettiger.2563

Previous

Jessica Boettiger.2563

WvW/PvP/Skills Principal QA

Next

Hey everyone!

Thank you all for stepping up to volunteer for this program. I am pleased to announce that I have been taken in by an EU guild on Kodash. I’m excited to embark on my new WvW journey, and experiencing the Fall Tournament in my new home, with Visceral Effect.

I’d like to give a big thanks to the vE guild for adopting me. I’m thrilled to have an opportunity to participate in the tournament from an EU guild’s perspective. I will miss my guilds on NSP (and I’ll try to hop back over from time to time to say hello while EU is sleeping), but I very much look forward to the feedback and experiences we will all share through this initiative. Together, we’ll make a better WvW!

Much wuv,
Wubbuffet

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I don’t understand this. Why not just play as normal players and join guilds? Announcing it just makes you into a target for all the built up frustration at how the game mode has been handled(I can bet money you will be quickly made to feel uncomfortable and end up bowing out). I know new games are coming out and you now need to appear involved but I can’t fathom what will come out of this.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Paul Ella

Previous

Paul Ella

Producer

Next

Greetings all! I have the distinct pleasure of serving with Non Verbal Persuasion [NVP] on DarkHaven. I look forward to honourable battles and as another great Englishman once said, ‘Give me Cake or Death!’ ….what?! we’re all out of cake?

Tally ho!!

in WvW

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I will be fighting for Helioz [Hel] and on loan to CERN tonight on TC.

There will be blood!

Chris

FYI my main guild is AARM (They just don’t do much WvW)

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t understand this. Why not just play as normal players and join guilds? Announcing it just makes you into a target for all the built up frustration at how the game mode has been handled(I can bet money you will be quickly made to feel uncomfortable and end up bowing out). I know new games are coming out and you now need to appear involved but I can’t fathom what will come out of this.

I’m sure some guilds would treat people that way, but somehow I doubt many of those signed up for the adoption services. I know my guild will do a good job of welcoming the ANet employee (and save the snarky comments for a week into the season, once we know they can dish it out as well as take it).

I would hope all game companies would want to do this regularly, whether PvE, WvW, or PvP. It’s healthy for players to realize devs are also gamers and the company has solid reasons behind all of its actions (whether or not we agree or embrace the implementation). It’s also good for devs to get to see things from other people’s points of view.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”