August 6, 2013 & WvW

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

When we’re running for our 2-4 hours a night we roam for kills and winning fights we have no business winning. My point is, we want to work towards something (like a fricken rank) that even in the ridiculously far off future gives us some abilities to work towards….

Work towards the masteries and guard track then? Our small group who does everything you just described while also trying to be helpful to our server by trying to take structures (and not just effectively playing sPvP in WvW like you seem to be doing) and harass larger zergs, are working towards the mastery lines that make us more efficient in being a threat (catapult, supply, guard lines)…

So…?

I appreciate the level headed talk. So I won’t use my normal sarcastic approach. In all honesty, those things bore the HELL out of the 5 of us. We’re all ex Daoc 8mamners who are used to highly competitive gaming atmospheres so siege is like putting my buddy who’s an F-15 pilot in a Sesna…. Extremely and painfully boring. We NEVER use or get on seige, we’re more effective on our toons than some 3 button device. We don’t play to feel epic, don’t sit on keep walls, we want to kill people. So literally NONE of the updates have done us any good in further development.

PAXA -GM

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/august-06-2013/

hip hip huray. Another big update for WvW.

thx AN.

Any1 is working for WvW in this company? What is doing leader of WvW designer?

Are you for real are just being sarcastic? If you think this is a big update for what WvW needs then you probably don’t play WvW…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

I appreciate the level headed talk. So I won’t use my normal sarcastic approach. In all honesty, those things bore the HELL out of the 5 of us. We’re all ex Daoc 8mamners who are used to highly competitive gaming atmospheres so siege is like putting my buddy who’s an F-15 pilot in a Sesna…. Extremely and painfully boring. We NEVER use or get on seige, we’re more effective on our toons than some 3 button device. We don’t play to feel epic, don’t sit on keep walls, we want to kill people. So literally NONE of the updates have done us any good in further development.

Then I really have no idea why you’re playing this game type over, well, sPvP.

Another point, ninja-ing or threatening objectives is almost guaranteed to get a response of some sort which will often times lead to small team skirmishes. You will, eventually, get over-run if the objective is close to spawn or if you’re too slow to kill but that’s to be expected from the game type.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

My entire point of starting this convo today was that this end game provides skillful players (an well use that term loosely since it hurts some people’s butts) any end game to further their character development. My entire guild (all 6 of us) logs on, plays wvw only and logs off. When we’re running for our 2-4 hours a night we roam for kills and winning fights we have no business winning. My point is, we want to work towards something (like a fricken rank) that even in the ridiculously far off future gives us some abilities to work towards….

Right now zergers like the updates given by Anet because it 100% caters to your casual play. And yet you’re all the first to write, “Anet wanted wvw to be a platform for everyone” meanwhile we have zero updates geared towards making player vs player content any better…. In an ENTIRE YEAR besides culling (and that was a fix for everyone).

That’s embarrassing as a major gaming company.

I understand your point to a certain extent. I to belong to small guild and most of our WvW is small 2-5 man roaming. The problem I have with power creep is it does not add anything positive. Right now we get ranks, we get skills that can be useful to WvW, we get out nice titles and we can continue to roam, or siege or zerg bust or anything that contributes. What we don’t get is the huge gap in players overall level that every other game gets when you add power creep. I get your point, I really do, but I will take this system of rank rewards over any other game so far.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: AydenStar.4216

AydenStar.4216

This post just remembers me of this video someone posted on the Ranger forums a fellow days ago.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Achilles.2197

Achilles.2197

Why not transfer to a server like TC or JQ and use your superior roaming abilities to help overthrow a larger server?

The mentality behind “We can’t make a difference against a 60 man blob / 30 man blob etc” is getting very stale. TC learned that against JQ, last week. TC was running 100 man zergs that were certainly capable of taking down any targeted group, but ultimately couldn’t keep up with JQ’s multiple 30 man groups hitting multiple points.

Havoc squads also contribute to the server in a very powerful way. They combat other squads and harass zergs / towers/keeps while flipping camps.

The “I want 5v5 all day long in WvW” isn’t feasible. sPvP exists for that reason, and you don’t need to focus objectives to get that hunger satiated. I’m sure you could post a request on the forums for 5 man groups to fight and invite to an empty server.

Âchillæs – Jade Quarry – GvG’ing before you knew what it was

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Achilles.2197

Achilles.2197

The only other thing I could think of is you want something similar to Team Arenas from GW1. I’d recommend looking it up on the GW1 wiki. It was the closest thing I’ve seen in an MMO to what you want. Other than maybe Alliance Battles (also from GW1).

Âchillæs – Jade Quarry – GvG’ing before you knew what it was

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Jscull.2514

This post just remembers me of this video someone posted on the Ranger forums a fellow days ago.

Good video. Guess what, the guy says when a games population finds themselves doing the same thing over and over…..

Sounds familiar. 99% of the population Zergs or doesn’t want an actual challenge and is terrified of even fights because they could lose. Anet won’t mess with a number like 99%.

PAXA -GM

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Then I really have no idea why you’re playing this game type over, well, sPvP.

Another point, ninja-ing or threatening objectives is almost guaranteed to get a response of some sort which will often times lead to small team skirmishes. You will, eventually, get over-run if the objective is close to spawn or if you’re too slow to kill but that’s to be expected from the game type.

WvW roaming is no where near sPvP, please stop making this comparison.. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Good video. Guess what, the guy says when a games population finds themselves doing the same thing over and over…..

Sounds familiar. 99% of the population Zergs or doesn’t want an actual challenge and is terrified of even fights because they could lose. Anet won’t mess with a number like 99%.

That’s because Anet has no balls.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Jscull.2514

That’s because Anet has no balls.

Boom! Someone’s gotta say it. What a joke, advertise the mmo for all the ages…. And in a year we get siege / supply mastery…..SAYS IT ALL

PAXA -GM

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Astaroth.5146

Astaroth.5146

I wouldn’t call it a big WvW update but the little changes are apreciated. I have a full tab of badge of honor and was keeping it from overflowing by buying a lot of seige and armor + weapon skin for no reason lol. I really hope the graphic change will reduce skill lag, if it does, that’s gonna be the highlight of this patch. As for the new seige trait line….well supply trait line I mean, this one seems a little boring but it’s ok. I’m not expecting life changing amazing change every patch lol.

If any Anet employee read this post, a change I’d like you to look to would be the wvw waypoint gap of 2-3 second between contest allowing a whole server to just appear in the middle of a contested keep. That has to disappear. Thanks

Jezebèl – Mag
Behind every red name there is a human being just like you. Respect your enemies :)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I just wish they gave me more ways to spend badges. I don’t really think this game needs pvp bonuses, not even mild ones. Applied Fortitude is a huge pvp buff for those who have it anyways.

(edited by Israel.7056)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Looks Good So Far.

Can’t Wait As Well!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Let’s not forget the 2 week patches are for PvE, or more specifically, Living Story. That was made clear in the beginning. We’re lucky that the patches include anything at all for WvW. Until a “WvW” patch is announced, it’s best to expect nothing. Complaining about the lack of WvW support in a PvE specific patch is pointless.

And when that glorious patch finally arrives, expect it to be for WvW’ers(W = World) and not for the PvP’ers that enjoy roaming for the fights. Anet does not consider WvW to be PvE or PvP. As such, the emphasis will be on what WvW is all about, siege and objectives. As much as I dislike it, being a roamer myself, it’s what I believe should be expected.

As for players who score a lot of kills getting an advantage over those who don’t, I wholly disagree. I can win entirely on my own skill. The only perk a player who enjoys killing needs is a target on them that screams “Big Wxp, come and get it!”.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/august-06-2013/

hip hip huray. Another big update for WvW.

thx AN.

Any1 is working for WvW in this company? What is doing leader of WvW designer?

Are you for real are just being sarcastic? If you think this is a big update for what WvW needs then you probably don’t play WvW…

Even I could figure out he’s being sarcastic. Did you bother to read his last sentence? If so, read it again.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Looks like the WvW masteries were their big WvW game plan for the rest of the year, slowly introducing a few more as months pass by and not allowing us to respec when they introduce them.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Caid.4932

Caid.4932

I’m against player based masteries too tbh. I realise all the current masteries are catering to a playstyle that is seriously hurting the actual pvp aspect of wvw but its kind of fluff really.
The kind of updates or work i’d like to see them put in to wvw is more along the lines of new maps or mechanics which discourage the current zerg strategy. I dont expect these kind of things to arrive every 2nd week or anthing close but if they have to spend 5 mins or whatever adding a +5 damage against mesmers or whatever then its time wasted on updates that’ll keep me interested (i am a bit sceptical that these kind of updates are being worked on or will ever show up, which is a pity).
Realistically it’ll also favour the zergs more than the small roaming groups too. Zerging gives more wxp simple as that. It’d just be one more mechanic that favour numbers over skill and theres already far too many of them.
Also they’ll either be vaguely irrelevant (so really who cares) or relevant and create a power gap that i wouldn’t want to see introduced. I guess theres a sweet spot between the two but … I’m not sure i trust anet to find that spot.

[Dius]

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Any kind of WXP upgrade that gives you a stat boost over other players is a crutch, plain and simple. If you had any self-respect as a PvPer you would not be asking for such “features”. You can talk as much as you like about your skill and experience, but power creep neither rewards nor encourages skilled play.

We should be asking for new content and mechanics, not empty substitutes that create an artificial gap between new players and veterans.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

Realistically it’ll also favour the zergs more than the small roaming groups too. Zerging gives more wxp simple as that. It’d just be one more mechanic that favour numbers over skill and theres already far too many of them.

actually….. you can get far more WXP and loot from roaming with a small group than you can from zerging. zerging is just easier to do. it’s not all that tough to follow a dorito and spam 1, so that’s what most people tend to do. there’s no need to worry about your build, gear or how to get the most out of your skills. hell, there’s not even really much need to actually think, since the commander is the one who handles most of that. it’s just the path of least effort, which is what most people will take in all aspects of any game.

(as a side note, take a day or two and observe what happens when those same people don’t have a dorito to follow. it’s hilarious and sad at the same time)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I agree and disagree at the same time (go figure). Lets take some unrealistic scenarios for the sake of why I disagree with power creep. 2 Identical DAOC groups, equally geared, and equal skill of players. One group is all RR13 and 1 group is all RR8. RR13 wins. I realize this is silly, but we would eventually see these types of gaps if power creep is added to this game. Now lets take the part that makes total sense in what you said. Skilled, coordinated, complementary group designs can beat most even groups and usually quite larger groups.

Most of the other MMO’s have had power creep increase the gap between players to the point that it becomes so unbalanced as to be silly and yes that includes DAOC, warhammer, Rift, Aion, etc. Your skills as PvPer will always be there without power creep. Once again I am not talking WvW design, zerg, siege etc. as those are completely different discussions. My hope is that power creep is never added but does not mean I would not love to see many changes to the existing WvW of this game

kitten character limits[/quote]

A. your setup would never happen, and even if it did, being equally skilled doesn’t mean you’d win the fight, because no one plays perfectly 100% of the time, training the wrong person, missing an interrupt, extending at the wrong time, not extending at the right time all these played a part in success of a group, the difference between a Rank 8 group and a Rank 13 group was slightly more abilities, but not enough to overcome slight screws in game abilities. a Rank 8 group had a very good chance of killing a Rank 13 group, all Rank 13 told me is you played a very very long time, It didn’t mean you were actually any good.

B. Even Warhammer Online didn’t develop a power creep as bad as you think, The only time it really got bad was their little mini expansion, but even then they added some gear at RR70 and 80 that made it reasonable to kill RR100 people, and it still came down to class most of the time, Shadow Warriors for example would absolutely poop on a Choppa, no matter what the rank.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Any kind of WXP upgrade that gives you a stat boost over other players is a crutch, plain and simple. If you had any self-respect as a PvPer you would not be asking for such “features”. You can talk as much as you like about your skill and experience, but power creep neither rewards nor encourages skilled play.

We should be asking for new content and mechanics, not empty substitutes that create an artificial gap between new players and veterans.

Id tend to agree but WvW is very very rarely an equal numbers fight, so a crutch is in existence by default, some side will have greater numbers than another side thus throwing an imbalance(note crutch) into the fight. In sPvP sure, no progression, it is after all an equal numbers fight.

And progression with stat enhancement already exists with the guard defense and the bonus to vitality. Why it was only given to a select group by having a massive pre-requisite i will never know. Should have just been an ability you could purchase so everyone, even if you have just run out to WvW have access to buy it but put it on a sliding scale, lvl 1 30hp’s, lvl 2 70 lvl 3 150, lvl 4 300 lvl 5 450 etc etc etc all the way up to 2500.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Id tend to agree but WvW is very very rarely an equal numbers fight, so a crutch is in existence by default, some side will have greater numbers than another side thus throwing an imbalance(note crutch) into the fight.

It is true that many WvW encounters are unequal but you didn’t explain how that fact validates stat enhancement for WXP.

And progression with stat enhancement already exists with the guard defense and the bonus to vitality.

Yes it does. It was introduced not that long ago and I gave my thoughts on it at the time: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Guards-irrelevant-to-Guard-WXP-upgrades/first

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Id tend to agree but WvW is very very rarely an equal numbers fight, so a crutch is in existence by default, some side will have greater numbers than another side thus throwing an imbalance(note crutch) into the fight.

It is true that many WvW encounters are unequal but you didn’t explain how that fact validates stat enhancement for WXP.

And progression with stat enhancement already exists with the guard defense and the bonus to vitality.

Yes it does. It was introduced not that long ago and I gave my thoughts on it at the time: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Guards-irrelevant-to-Guard-WXP-upgrades/first

Indeed, bonus stats for ranks is bullkitten.

Anyone else wondering if they expect us to be satisfied with these masteries enough to be distracted about the major issues?

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Moon.6371

Moon.6371

I`m just dropping in to tell you guys how much I`m appreciating the discussion in this thread, it certainly is one of the more intelligent threads in this forum with lots of truth in it.

I`m personally agreeing with almost everything Jscull wrote, except the conclusion of giving enhanced player stats to long time players. As an avid starcraft player for almost a decade now, I just can`t cope with the idea of artificially enhancing one`s chances to win a fight just because he/she played for a longer time. It`s against everything what PvP stands for in my opinion.

Best regards

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

K/D they can add but only for bragging right, no extra skills or so. The problem is then you will have the small team off 5 with thief’s just camping start place to kill solo players just to get better K/D. And okittenitten how good it would be on Arrow carts, I just killed 68players without dying

What I hope Arena net is working on is some penalty on too big zergs, like you lose HP, Armour and so if o many at same place.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: LotuS.4378

LotuS.4378

I`m just dropping in to tell you guys how much I`m appreciating the discussion in this thread, it certainly is one of the more intelligent threads in this forum with lots of truth in it.

I`m personally agreeing with almost everything Jscull wrote, except the conclusion of giving enhanced player stats to long time players. As an avid starcraft player for almost a decade now, I just can`t cope with the idea of artificially enhancing one`s chances to win a fight just because he/she played for a longer time. It`s against everything what PvP stands for in my opinion.

Best regards

To bad that moderators deleting post that telling proofs, about WvW and WvW designer, who is basiclly doing nothing for WvW in last few months/weeks.

Wondering why they dont even replay in this thread? Easy. They dont care, and prolly nothing will change. Its better to add some PvE festivals for casuals.

[INC] Incendies
http://incendies-guild.tk/

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

Best regards

To bad that moderators deleting post that telling proofs, about WvW and WvW designer, who is basiclly doing nothing for WvW in last few months/weeks.

Wondering why they dont even replay in this thread? Easy. They dont care, and prolly nothing will change. Its better to add some PvE festivals for casuals.

I haven’t really bothered to re-read the topic to try to remember what posts have been deleted but there were a lot of whine posts that added nothing constructive to the discussion, deleting them is in accordance with the ToS.

OT: while more improvements to wvw would definitely be welcome, this patch is focused primarily on the living story and thus pve. The change to effects is, IIRC, largely aimed at wvw in order to help reduce lag when e.g. two zergs meet and let the fireworks fly. A wvw patch is (supposedly) coming later this year and if that one fails to deliver then I agree that there are good reasons to complain.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Some people are asking for extra “bonuses” vs other players, that will never, ever, ever happen in this game. Players should win with their skill and ability than time played. IF you want to play a game to “own” noobs with your pro skills that come only with your time spent in the game, there are many games that do that.

I bet peopel who ask for that kind of progression just don’t know how to play the game, are getting defeated all the time, and want a way to be competitive by “out-leveleing” their opponents.

There is NOTHING good that can come from abilities that offer an advantage against other players. Deal with it, and win your skill, unless you admit you are an unskilled player of course

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: LotuS.4378

LotuS.4378

Yes, but AN decided to put update every 2 weeks, so right now we will have new siege mastery every 2 week? Till 2020? This is getting bad. Where are Orbs? They told that find a soluction for it. Same for new MAP, still nothing, 0 info, not even a single post from AN. Check General/spvp or living story topics, and how AN is responding.

[INC] Incendies
http://incendies-guild.tk/

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

How is stat enhancement invalid in this instance? You already have a system whereby there is no parity. Although i would concede sPvP should be excluded from this due to it’s nature.

I kind of agree, id say if you are going to introduce incremental stats get rid of pre requisites, they are a bad idea. That guy that just walked into WvW should be able to start buying them with his points, he will earn them quickly being lower rank.

There is a good equilibrium here to be found for the power gamers and their stats as they increase in level and the guy thats just run out to WvW. As the lower tiers will be accrued a lot faster than the higher tiers which will take a long time to get to.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Yes, but AN decided to put update every 2 weeks, so right now we will have new siege mastery every 2 week? Till 2020? This is getting bad. Where are Orbs? They told that find a soluction for it. Same for new MAP, still nothing, 0 info, not even a single post from AN. Check General/spvp or living story topics, and how AN is responding.

They said the orb replacement would be in by the end of the year, not the end of your patience. Let’s let them make sure it’s solid and ready, eh?

I wouldn’t mind seeing the wxp Points being account bound and having the ability to reset them once per week (to prevent abuse) personally. I like to play many alts in WvW depending on what the guild needs so my points are smeared all over the place. But, that being said, I don’t mind the current system either.

#TeamJadeQuarry

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Dear Rainu,
in November 2012 one of the devs said than there are new things comming into WvW in upcomming months.
It was 8 months ago and nothing new or even repaired. it is not like they need repair everything, but certain things are so obvious that those should already be fixed or implemented.
As in November, now we have same vague informations: something is comming in the upcomming months.

Are you really surprised we dont believe it? Aside culling, there was no “old” broken mechanics fixed. Instead of that we had new content – Siegerazer and WXP with Masteries.
One copy/paste mastery every month.

What I wonder is: are those players who plays WvW minority? PvE got 4 dev teams and WvW not even one team mentioned? Or were somewhere mentioned?

So excuse me, but I really dont believe in WvW in GW2 based on experience with this game from start.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

How about some basic UI bug fixes? You know… things like being able to invite to group, kick offline players and whisper players in a WvW zone…. basically everything we can do in ANY PvE zone through the UI.

Or how about giving us a commander and squad system we can flag “private” to form private or guild squads without inviting every single player in the zone to flock to us?

Changing culling does not make up for the lack of attention WvW gets.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

(edited by Ahmrill.7512)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

Best regards

You’d have a point if this was an RTS, but its MMO*RPG* for a reason.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Moon.6371

If you argue against someone`s opinion it might be helpful to explain it, instead of stating your opinion as facts with oneliners, Xsorus.

Do you mean MMO players need the carrot on a stick to feel like special princesses, just because they play MMO`s? I don`t think so, in both genres I play to improve myself, my mechanics, my rotations/builds, group play, etc pp. Thats rewarding enough for me and I know lots of players who think similar, why is my opinion not valid, just because it is MMO RPG? RPG stands for roleplaying afaik, not for anything else…

I really don`t get your point, care to explain?

Best regards

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

(edited by Moon.6371)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

They said the orb replacement would be in by the end of the year, not the end of your patience. Let’s let them make sure it’s solid and ready, eh?

And you still believe them? That’s rather…naive. I’m prepared to get dissapointed every patch and so far my expectations have been met.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Totbot.4583

Totbot.4583

MMO forums are always a good way to remind yourself why its good that players don’t get any real input with game design.

If some players had it their way, new players would get steamrolled by veterans that had years to build up super awesome powers and WvW would be nothing put normal pvp on a large map with pretty buildings that are there for decoration.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

And you still believe them? That’s rather…naive. I’m prepared to get dissapointed every patch and so far my expectations have been met.

Naive? Based on experience. When they tell us something is coming it’s because it’s coded, exists, and they intend to deliver. This is their modus operandi. Yes, I believe them, and naivety is not a factor.

#TeamJadeQuarry

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Naive? Based on experience. When they tell us something is coming it’s because it’s coded, exists, and they intend to deliver. This is their modus operandi. Yes, I believe them, and naivety is not a factor.

End of the year??? Where’d you see that? Man I was expecting it by the one year anniversary.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

If you argue against someone`s opinion it might be helpful to explain it, instead of stating your opinion as facts with oneliners, Xsorus.

Do you mean MMO players need the carrot on a stick to feel like special princesses, just because they play MMO`s? I don`t think so, in both genres I play to improve myself, my mechanics, my rotations/builds, group play, etc pp. Thats rewarding enough for me and I know lots of players who think similar, why is my opinion not valid, just because it is MMO RPG? RPG stands for roleplaying afaik, not for anything else…

I really don`t get your point, care to explain?

Best regards

RPG’s in general are designed around the point of taking control of a character, characters in general often have skills/levels ect ect, All these move away from your original wanting of basically an online RTS where everything is balanced in a static manner.

As for for original question, do MMO players need a carrot on a stick? Yes…Yes they do…If you had any sense of history concerning MMO’s you’d see that they do need a Carrot otherwise they don’t play the game.

How you personally choose to play the game is immaterial, Because people wanting a carrot out number you by a large margin, Stick with RTS’s if you want static game play elements.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: XcmGT.3847

XcmGT.3847

Call of Duty is that way ==>

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Call of duty sucks… Zero repercussion to deaths. Death in Daoc meant 15 minutes before you could even be back in a fight unless you had a port open to a keep.

That’s for another discussion.

Here is the main point I guess I didn’t express yesterday…
Giving players pvp abilities…. And the means to acquiring the points for ranks in order to unlock the abilities would be ONLY through killing other players. “well Zergs can kill more people faster” = false. No. Kills in a Zerg give you 1-10 points per kill based on the number of people on your server around you……Kills in a small group, give you 150-250 points per kill towards rank…..solves Zerging REALLY FRICKEN FAST. So Zerg all you want to….but to acquire the points to rank up for player vs player offense or defensive abilities will come EXTREMELY slower. The choice is then up to the gamer.

PAXA -GM

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Moon.6371

I think you`re taking yourself and your “expertise” way too serious, Xsorus. It is fascinating how someone is able to (mis-)interprete the “original wanting” (your words) just from my first post, that is commenting on how interesting the discussion over here is.

How in hell do you come to the conclusion that I want GW2 to be basically an RTS where everything is balanced in static manner and how do you know what sense of history I have concerning MMOs? Can I call you Mentalist now, or are you just bitter, that someone is disagreeing with your opinion?

I do get, that you think you are some kind of indisputable institution regarding MMOs but I`d appreciate if you would try to word your response like a grown up without serious personal issues and without telling other people what to do, thanks. One could argue the tone of your post is borderline insulting, passive aggressive at least.

My point is, just because there are leveling elements in RPG (which concern mainly the PvE parts of most MMOs and which are capped at the point where most people start to PvP) doesn`t mean that there should be an endless spiral of advantages handed to the players that had the opportunity to grind PvP for a longer time compared to a newcomer. When people max out and start PvP the playing ground should be somewhat equal.

The reward for playing more is to be more experienced, to have a better clue about the game and its frameworks. A newcomer with excellent mechanics (Micro, Macro, APM, Timings, Positioning, …) should be able to beat an experienced player that is not as good with his mechanics. It`s all about skill, not gear and stat advantage, right? I`m sure, even the PAXA guys (who seem to favor power creep) would agree with me here.

I was stating from the beginning that I`m solely advocating my opinion, and guess what, different opinions make an discussion interesting if people are open for other perspectives. Again, why is my opinion not valid, Xsorus? I fail to see any real argument in your response, just belittleing of MMO gamers…

Best regards

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

(edited by Moon.6371)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

People don’t realise that Anet rewards the blob mentality. Which is weird coz it is very boring (skill 1 spam jeej) and causes skill lag.

Been roaming in an organised guild pretty much since launch and it’s immense fun but when 80+ blobs are being effective in a game, there is only so much you can do with 20 guildies. We like a challenge, but we dont like skill lag and unbeatable numbers.

Disencouraging blobs with updates (nerf downed health for example in WvW) might change the whole landscape a bit. Blobs might be less effective, people blob less, WvW becomes more fun, skill full and less laggy.

I don’t get what is wrong with this. We need more PvP and less siege!

It’s even more amazing that some people are happy with some of these changes. Like, supply mastery really? A PvE player recieves new content and LOW LEVELS even get upscaled to play the content.

What do we get in WvW? Content that is not interesting, No new maps, no new mechanics etc. and especially for the hardcore playerbase who enjoys roaming and on top of that, you can’t even access it easily. You need rank pts for it which can take a week. Yeah sure, we can save the pts but they keep adding lines so even that is pointless. It’s just weird and i’m not understanding it from a design perspective..

Like, what is Arenanet trying to achieve with WvW? If they keep pushing siege warfare (making them tradable was not smart imo) will eventually cause a lot of raiding guilds to quit.

Oh, what baffles me the most is the dude who is happy with the fact that we can store our 10k+ useless tokens now. Omg, i got so many useless tokens, but i can store them now, this update is great, can’t you see?

You have TOO many USELESS badges and you don’t even realise that the problem is not storage, but the tokens itself.

/rant

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Pff, you’re expecting the designers of this game to actually understand that concept? Sure it’s simple math, and would require work to implement that thought process into their game, but these people have logic backwards.

Temp content > Performance/Bug/Hacker fixing.

Besides; Thieves with Daggers is easy skill mode and takes zero understanding. That’s why I don’t even touch Daggers on my thief — I want a real challenge.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Been sort of looking back and forth.

And…truthfully there isn’t an endgame for dedicated WvWers.

The Ranks are…simply there to append capabilities to the various mechanics and mechanisms of WvW, but they don’t really make players feel like they are growing as a character, in the same manner that PvE has with its various flavors of entertainment.

But at the same time I don’t think those really wanting to fight in WvW really need those stats to prove their dominance. No, instead, why not bring that horizontial progression that GW2 has been promoting to WvW, and I mean for real!

- WvW Unique Skins obtained through dedicated playing, whether it be rank restricted (50, 100, 150, 200, and so forth) or achievement based (Different levels of Dominator, Escort, etc).
- Make the WvW Titles (Those insane, terribly long to get ones?) have some sort of special meaning, perhaps a permanent buff.
- Unique Commander Icons. 100g? Pfft, Try killing 100 unique commanders based on their tags to get this bad-kitten silver commander icon… (Probably a low number but you get my drift).
- Incredibly difficult but noteworthy path to getting your legendaries only through WvW! (So unlikely, but one could hope)

Be creative here folks!

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Haz.9864

Haz.9864

Been sort of looking back and forth.

And…truthfully there isn’t an endgame for dedicated WvWers.

The Ranks are…simply there to append capabilities to the various mechanics and mechanisms of WvW, but they don’t really make players feel like they are growing as a character, in the same manner that PvE has with its various flavors of entertainment.

But at the same time I don’t think those really wanting to fight in WvW really need those stats to prove their dominance. No, instead, why not bring that horizontial progression that GW2 has been promoting to WvW, and I mean for real!

- WvW Unique Skins obtained through dedicated playing, whether it be rank restricted (50, 100, 150, 200, and so forth) or achievement based (Different levels of Dominator, Escort, etc).
- Make the WvW Titles (Those insane, terribly long to get ones?) have some sort of special meaning, perhaps a permanent buff.
- Unique Commander Icons. 100g? Pfft, Try killing 100 unique commanders based on their tags to get this bad-kitten silver commander icon… (Probably a low number but you get my drift).
- Incredibly difficult but noteworthy path to getting your legendaries only through WvW! (So unlikely, but one could hope)

Be creative here folks!

Brilliant, and follows along with all the pve only unique item’s and skins
already in the game.

Akue – war, Duck Dogers – eng (Splt) (NSP)

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Call of duty sucks… Zero repercussion to deaths. Death in Daoc meant 15 minutes before you could even be back in a fight unless you had a port open to a keep.

That’s for another discussion.

Here is the main point I guess I didn’t express yesterday…
Giving players pvp abilities…. And the means to acquiring the points for ranks in order to unlock the abilities would be ONLY through killing other players. “well Zergs can kill more people faster” = false. No. Kills in a Zerg give you 1-10 points per kill based on the number of people on your server around you……Kills in a small group, give you 150-250 points per kill towards rank…..solves Zerging REALLY FRICKEN FAST. So Zerg all you want to….but to acquire the points to rank up for player vs player offense or defensive abilities will come EXTREMELY slower. The choice is then up to the gamer.

So your time spent as a Thief roaming and killing random upleveled newbies who are just exploring the map will give you more points towards better pvp abilities. Check.

I still see no point to have player pvp abilities, other than bad players needing an unfair advantage over players will less play time.

August 6, 2013 & WvW

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

+1 darko and skyper

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.