Badges for Tomes of Knowledge?

in WvW

Posted by: HeNnAz.8913

HeNnAz.8913

Soooooooooooo when can I get this? it needs to be available soon because I won’t be able to stand leveling when that trait patch comes out. BUMP GENIUS IDEA.

It’s ya boy fred.
I’ll suck volcanus for stability.

in WvW

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

100% pro.

I’m still stuck with only 1 lvl 80 character because PvE is boring. Exploring maps, you explored with your other character, and fightig NPC who are no challenge at all. WvW is the only thing in the game that challenges me for the need of strategic thinking, but I hate going in WvW with twinks because it makes your own team weaker.
My lvl 20 twinks all have lots of skill points because I transfered the Scrolls of Knowledge I found in WvW. But they will never gain any lvl.
I’m already lacking time to play the game so I don’t want to spend the time I have with boring stuff like leveling twinks – this should still be a game and therefore make fun.

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in WvW

Posted by: Skychain.4916

Skychain.4916

Yes please Anet, got so many badges to use.

Kriptyc BG [NOC]

in WvW

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Considering that uplevels are going to be working with significantly fewer stats until the last few levels with the upcoming feature patch it would be lovely to have an avenue for gaining tomes in wvw.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

600 badges in 2 evenings of roaming. Please give me a way to use them.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Karma or Badges. Tomes just are necessary to make a bit easier in different play styles right now considering the volume of balance change (which I am looking forward to) in the game.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Since glory is nuked; and the people who play these modes most likely don’t want to level nor do they want to rallybot with an uplevel, this would be a good idea.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: kyro.8162

kyro.8162

Bump…

Sanctum of Rall
New Namek [Kami]
Guardian/Ele/Warrior/Engi/Mes/Necro/Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

What about 1 tome of knowledge per wxp rank you get?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

What about 1 tome of knowledge per wxp rank you get?

Mmmm, my main has 735 ranks, my alts 20 something ranks… so 875 tomes, I can level-up over 10 alts!

On a more serious note, can’t really force the tomes on people who don’t need them…
There’s be lots of complaints on forum about how useless an update it is, how we need real loots, and not just something that is a scheme to sell characters spaces…

But badges for books? Overall what we can win in a hour of average play (meaning farmer would get them in half hour, most people in an hour and some in as long as a day…)

Seems fair to me…

in WvW

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

sPvP players don’t get experience by playing in it. In WvW, players gain experience from events and killing things.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just pointing out that the two don’t really compare.

in WvW

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

sPvP players don’t get experience by playing in it. In WvW, players gain experience from events and killing things.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just pointing out that the two don’t really compare.

Players also got experience for the LA events. And much more of it than they would have gotten if they’d spent that time playing WvW. And yet, they could still buy tomes.

Second Child

in WvW

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Players also got experience for the LA events. And much more of it than they would have gotten if they’d spent that time playing WvW. And yet, they could still buy tomes.

Fair enough! That is a better comparison, although the LA content was not permanent content.

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Nerf the xp/karma train stuff first.

I’m all for additional rewards from badges (they are lackluster atm) but as Allie said you already get a lot from what’s already there.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

@Allie: pretty please!

While we are on it, can we get a small increase on badges? the new map gives them like crazy and I cant help but feel badge-poor when going back to main server…

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

comparatively, i assume that most players are spending more $ and gold on lvl 80 characters so more conveniences to level up would be a win-win situation.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Definetely, the old Maps need to get a Buff on Badges..
Remove im the badges from the Jumping Puzzle Chests, improve theirfore the rewards you can get fro mthese chests and then definetely raise the badge rates from killing Camp Guards and add to the Loot from killing Keep/Castle/Tower Champs the Badles.

Also give the Street Guards a small chance to reward you with a small amount of badges, so that Roamers also have a better way of gettign badges.
—-

Rewards for WvW in general need to be improved:

• add Tomes of Experience for Badges to gain +1 Level/Skill Points for like 125 Badges per Tome.
    That would make for a Level 80 Character from scrath = 10000 Badges of Honor.
    I think thats an appropriate amount, when you see, that there are players with like nearly 25000 Badges that don’t know, what to do all with them and which would like to make quickly a new Alt, thats instantly ready to WvW with Max Level for example.
    And I thin, someone who plays WvW so much, to have gained so many Badges of Honor, relly deserves it to have a quicker way to level up quickly a new Alt Character with them
  • Ya we know, soon we will get those awesome Hero and Mistforged Weapons that will cost also Badges, but I think thats not enough.
    We get Mistforged Weapon,s then there should be also fitting Armor Sets of the same style, like these Weapons
  • Add the Option to by Traps also with badges of Honor, add alot more new Trap Types..seriously, do you think just 2 Traps is enough?? I think you can be more creative, than to give us only 2 Trap Types to play with …
  • Add unique Finishers that can’t be bought from TP, that you can earn only via playing WvW (the Tourny ones from last time are a joke, if they aren’t permanent!!)
  • Add more Skins of existing Weapon/Armor Sets to the rewards for Badges of Honor
  • Add unique Tonic/ Minipets as rewards for Badges of Honor.
  • Add special WvW specific only Healing/Utility/Elite Skills that you have to unlock with Badges of Honor and having reached certain WvW Ranks
  • Add Options to convert Badges of Honor into Karma or into WvW Exp-Boosters
  • Add as unique reward a new Rune Set that can be bought with Badges of Honor only, which has the unique effect of making your Equipment undestructable
  • Add far more WvW Infusions into the Game (if a Rune Set for undestructable Equipment is no good idea, then instead an Infusion for that!)
  • Let us earn with Badges of Honor some new unique for WvW Town Clothes/Costumes, which can be used also in Combat/ for Costume Brawls

So many options to reward players better in WvW and so less potential gets used so far … so less, that you must start to believe, its on purpose, so that ANet always keeps all options open for later Expansions to ensure, that not all trump cards get played out too quickly …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in WvW

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

This message means it isn’t going to happen, ever. Fantastic.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Fair enough! That is a better comparison, although the LA content was not permanent content.

Then how about adding it to the tournament awards, which is also not permanent content? 10 Tickets and 100 badges per scroll of knowledge?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

This is so sad. A red visited before the 4th page even, then basically told us no :’(

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in WvW

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Not only did I not say no, I said this “I’m not saying it’s a bad idea,”

in WvW

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

So it’s a yes ?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in WvW

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

So it’s a yes ?

I’d take that to mean she dropped the idea on the appropriate dev/design group to debate.

in WvW

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Definitely another plus one here, and I’m not even a serious WvW player…

in WvW

Posted by: Rcox.4076

Rcox.4076

+1
this needs to happen

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Guys, it’s not about spvp, so they will think about it maybe after october.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Since I have no use for the pile of badges I have, I will be happy to exchange those for Tomes of Knowledge because leveling alts is boring for me. (Same goes for karma.)

20 level 80s and counting.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Leveling alts in wvw hurts your server. An upleveled character is just a rally bot and free kill. And its a very slow way to lvling…
Pls remove the normal xp gain (and maybe the random loot) and add more badges + things what we can buy for badges.
I started to play at the betas and i have only 1 legendary because i farmed 1 week at the begining of the pavilon event…
My pve friends have 4-7 legendarys, thousands of golds and ascended panties!
Sometimes i feel 1 badge = 1 gold

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Carpboy.7145

:0 so we can expect this by April 15th?

Lyss The Shadow

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

The game is so old and, now with ascended gear, there are enough obstacles in the way of maximizing an alts potential. I see no reason we shouldn’t be allowed to trivialize the leveling experience a little by buying tomes.

in WvW

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

The “temporary” content is just thrown back in again in a different setting. PvE “Meta event” zerg might as well be permanent content by this point.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Please? This would be a great addition.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Currently leveling alts only come out to level on karma train Friday anyway. It’s not as though you’ll be introducing any game breaking material.

in WvW

Posted by: therealjaypo.1690

therealjaypo.1690

Being able to purchase tomes of knowledge for badges would be a quality of life improvement for WvW players which is precisely why it will never be.

[SG] I’m here because I was in the comic book

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Being able to purchase tomes of knowledge for badges would be a quality of life improvement for WvW players which is precisely why it will never be.

Fixed it for ya:
A WvW update is a WvW update which is precisely why it will never be.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawntree.7246

Dawntree.7246

:0 so we can expect this by April 15th?

we could be pretty sure it won’t happen by that date (and hopefully the day after tomorrow we’ll learn something important that will be release on the 15th)

Say she is passing the suggestion to the dev team now, they have at least figure out what are the consequences if they add a thing like this before a “yes or no”. Coding should be trivial.

Emanuel Dawntree – Nord Guardian of [TasH] – 9×80
Whiteside Ridge

in WvW

Posted by: Budman.2934

Budman.2934

Tomes should be available before WvW Tournments so Servers who have players with Low lvl Alts who want to use them in there WvW Guild Zerg battles don’t get a HELL NO!!! from there guild leader for using low lvled alt’s

and as stated earlier Anet makes its Money from Players being lvl 80 and Buying lvl 80 Gear with Gem store Cosmetic’s Probly something that should of been thought of Before WvW season 1

Anyways to add a Spin on this Maybe reward it in WvW Reward Boxes so it might limit the 0 to 80 toon to only WvW players so it Balances with PVE
Rewards of you can only get it in PVE CONTENT like the battle for LA reward Vender’s

(edited by Budman.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

There really isn’t a good reason against tomes for badges. Something like 250 badges and 20 silver for a tome. Seems fair to me.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

a simple way to “balance” access vs permanent content is to set a high WXP rank as minimum for buying. Say Rank 100 (nice round number). R100, on a T4-5 server will take roughly 2 months to get, if you zergball enough. with the upcoming (or rather rumored) accound bound WXP, this will go even faster.

Rank 100
100 badges + 1 Gold

Total price to get 1 char up to Lvl 80 – 8000 Badges + 80 Gold.
Time it will take to grind that far – longer then grinding your way to level 80 in WvW in the first place.

Conclusion – totally balanced

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Jocksy.3415

a simple way to “balance” access vs permanent content is to set a high WXP rank as minimum for buying. Say Rank 100 (nice round number). R100, on a T4-5 server will take roughly 2 months to get, if you zergball enough. with the upcoming (or rather rumored) accound bound WXP, this will go even faster.

Rank 100
100 badges + 1 Gold

Total price to get 1 char up to Lvl 80 – 8000 Badges + 80 Gold.
Time it will take to grind that far – longer then grinding your way to level 80 in WvW in the first place.

Conclusion – totally balanced

One gold per level? Gosh, you playing PvE?
Amount of silver I get from a level up chest is balanced… more than 3 hours WvW worth of gold? nah…

More badge, less gold… it’s about earning the levels in WvW…

During the PvE Event, it was possible to get one tome per actual level, so somewhat one tome per hour.
In PvP, with glory boost, and without farming, I also had somewhat a tome per hour…

making it so high is really not good…

If they must offer it as “non permanent content” maybe they can make “tomes events” like, we have two weeks to get them at a precise time (beginning of season looks like a good idea), then they are off until next “event”.

But I don’t really see the problem of having them as part of the regular content…

(edited by Jocksy.3415)

in WvW

Posted by: Immolator.5640

Immolator.5640

I think the main reasons we have going for this are

• It is detrimental to your team to play on an upscale, due to rallying mechanics, lack of damage, support, utility, all of which are spare and lackluster in comparison with level 80s. The Weapon strength alone of a level say 30 means around 4x less damage than an 80 with the same stats, without mentioning the ready availability of stats to 80s.

In sPvP you don’t gain levels or exp, but then arguably you don’t need them, nor does it effect your game and play not to have them.

• There are myriad barriers to becoming a true altaholic or ever reaching full potential on more than one character. A character, if you want it to be at a high standard, needs Asc armour, weapons, trinkets, and Guard stacks. I’ve been playing since betas, and since then mostly played my Guardian, on which I command, lead guild raids, roam 1vX and other smallscale; he has 1 Asc weapon in the form of Twilight (with a metric tonne of help from guild), 2 trinkets and that’s it, due to lack of the stat combo I want on trinkets, and due to lack of income due to, well, playing WvW. I have 4 level 80s, 3 geared with proper builds, other than my main Guardian, the rest have no Asc.
Levelling is hardly the greatest barrier, but it’s still present and would provide a nice QoL change for us.

It’s a bit late and I’m tired, so feel free to add more nice reasons yourselves or further explication, those are the ones I feel are most pertinent.

From all of the positive feedback I’ve seen here, and the distinct lack of anything approaching negativity towards the idea, I think it’d also go a good way to getting players on side and gain some elevation in their eyes. In general the WvW community is represented on the forums as a rather cynical, grumbling and plaintive bunch of people, arguably with good reason, the fact that they can all come together in order to get out of work and slack more is in my opinion admirable, if not typical. ANet should champion the cause too, and we can have a Hobbit-esque moment with something along the lines of ‘and they gave us some lefels; and I saw that day, some Devs I could follow, some devs I could call King’.

Commander Ezekiel The Paladin
Underworld Battalion [WvW] Leader (retired) – Gandara [EU]
All Is Vain https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

It’s a good idea. But i see one problem with it. Right now, i can stack my tokens up a bit, in backup requirement to buy more siege. However with this people will spam these scrolls, and not support their server with siege anymore. It’s an assumption, but say it will happen this way? Isn’t this a bit out of control? Selfish player get more free levels, and othre players, don’t get them but must support the server, by buying siege. If this gets implemented, there should be a balance somehow. Definitely some silver cost like the pve ones (cause tbh the silver cost, it what stopped me from buying them wich means, it put ppl who don’t need it, but would be selfish enough to buy it over wvw supportive siege, wouldn’t buy it). Just think this tru.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

It’s a good idea. But i see one problem with it. Right now, i can stack my tokens up a bit, in backup requirement to buy more siege. However with this people will spam these scrolls, and not support their server with siege anymore. It’s an assumption, but say it will happen this way? Isn’t this a bit out of control? Selfish player get more free levels, and othre players, don’t get them but must support the server, by buying siege. If this gets implemented, there should be a balance somehow. Definitely some silver cost like the pve ones (cause tbh the silver cost, it what stopped me from buying them wich means, it put ppl who don’t need it, but would be selfish enough to buy it over wvw supportive siege, wouldn’t buy it). Just think this tru.

You can buy siege with money. Bit of a waste to use badges on them.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

And in SPvP you don’t have to level so you’re not a huge detriment to your team. A lot of people want this purely so they can be on their level 80 characters, level their alts, and not bring their server down in WvW. If scaling were fixed and uplevels didn’t die instantly then it wouldn’t be such an issue, but it currently is.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

This is so sad. A red visited before the 4th page even, then basically told us no :’(

yay red posts! our mission is complete!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

If “That’s a great idea, I’ll forward this to the team” is effectively a “no”, not even saying that is certainly a “no”.

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Yes please thank you.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

Jocksy.3415

Of course, there should be a silver cost… Though not 1 gold per level… 20-30 silver is a good range, imho, as 100-200 badges look like a good range to me…

People not buying siege are not more likely to buy them; people buying siege are likely to keep doing it… When I play, I usually give 1/3 of my earnings to the lead (despite always needing money) and when I lead, I share at least half earnings with scouts… And, for me, it’s natural… But when I lead, there’s always the same 5 players sending me money/siege… And I don’t believe another way to spend badges is really going to do much to change that (must have somewhat 10k beside, despite hours of lead and sharing with commanders/scouts).

Now, if point is to point positive of getting tomes, mine would be that with the new trait system, uplevels will be even more fragile in WvW than they now are (since traits will be gotten way later in gameplay, defensive abilities for uplevels and group support from them will be badly hurt)

in WvW

Carpboy.7145

yay red posts! our mission is complete!

We did it! Celebrate!

Lyss The Shadow

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

You can buy siege with money. Bit of a waste to use badges on them.

Money buys everything. Badges don’t. If you play PvX and not ‘wvw only’ like you, then money is to valuable to spend, when you can use another source. Also since ppl almost only can spend it on gear OR siege, the badge system, currently supplies siege, just because of that. Without that, and with leaugue coming, supply might drain super fast, and the 3 silver price might spike to 10 silver. Not what I want…

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.