Badges for Tomes of Knowledge?

in WvW

Posted by: Immolator.5640

Immolator.5640

I think it’s very unlikely that normal siege prices will rise, mostly because they’re a dime a dozen and I could just play WvW with the drops of them I get. Secondly the Commander is in many cases the only person who drops siege. In both our guild bank and a very old guild that was set up last year and included a lot of the community, not even intended as siege storage, there are stacks of normal siege just collecting dust.

You could argue that superior may become more expensive, but then I normally have so much normal that I can forge all of them no problem, I can’t remember the last time I’ve bought siege from a merchant or superiors off the TP. Anyone who buys siege with bates is in most cases to my eyes not incredibly astute. In fact we have an ongoing joke of sending ballistae in droves to one of our other commanders, that’s how worthless it is, that we’d give it away so easily. That’s why initially I thought you were trolling xD

Plus from PvX you must have already got tonnes of tomes

You could further argue that the benefit from having level 80 teammates far outweighs the loss of any siege support from the few people who do use badges for siege; furthermore an upscale’s WvW experience is in many ways more painful and less enjoyable than that of a level 80. As such many will quit if their first experience is being repeatedly ganked by random thieves or bother Zerkers looking for that green arrow and the pretty, big numbers they bring, it’s unlikely that they’ll stay. So overall it might save some player’s fun and gain more avid WvWers. Even then if it’s implemented we’ll likely see a rise in WvW population.

Commander Ezekiel The Paladin
Underworld Battalion [WvW] Leader (retired) – Gandara [EU]
All Is Vain https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/

(edited by Immolator.5640)

in WvW

Posted by: Estarioll.5781

Estarioll.5781

sPvP players don’t get experience by playing in it. In WvW, players gain experience from events and killing things.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just pointing out that the two don’t really compare.

sPvP players are already lvl 80 from the second they set foot in spvp… so they don’t need to lvl to be able to play sPvP normally and all the equipment for them is free there

what WvW players would like is to be able to “open world sPvP” from the second they set foot in WvW
it would be reeeeeally unlikely to solo roam on a lvl 20 toon, no?

and levelling in a zerg is bloody boring, even though EOTM zergs got me from 20 to 80 extremely fast, but that’s cause EOTM is broken and imo unworthy of WvW status, but that’s completely different topic…

anyway, hope my post made sense.

Tipsy Dipsy, plank scrubber of The Bloody Pirates [YARR]
~Gandara~

(edited by Estarioll.5781)

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

It’s a good idea. But i see one problem with it. Right now, i can stack my tokens up a bit, in backup requirement to buy more siege. However with this people will spam these scrolls, and not support their server with siege anymore. It’s an assumption, but say it will happen this way? Isn’t this a bit out of control? Selfish player get more free levels, and othre players, don’t get them but must support the server, by buying siege. If this gets implemented, there should be a balance somehow. Definitely some silver cost like the pve ones (cause tbh the silver cost, it what stopped me from buying them wich means, it put ppl who don’t need it, but would be selfish enough to buy it over wvw supportive siege, wouldn’t buy it). Just think this tru.

You can buy siege with money. Bit of a waste to use badges on them.

Money buys everything. Badges don’t. If you play PvX and not ‘wvw only’ like you, then money is to valuable to spend, when you can use another source. Also since ppl almost only can spend it on gear OR siege, the badge system, currently supplies siege, just because of that. Without that, and with leaugue coming, supply might drain super fast, and the 3 silver price might spike to 10 silver. Not what I want…

A fair point, but I don’t think it affect the market that much. I know people who have stockpiles of badges that are in the tens of thousands. Currently unless you buy siege or gear up another char, there isn’t much to spend them on. I don’t think it would affect the siege market that much, but then again siege should never really have become trade-able.. =p

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in WvW

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

easier/faster ways to level = more character slots bought
go go anet go!
+1

Naz ©

in WvW

Immolator.5640

Another random idea without having thought it out late at night: make Tome costs fluctuate per Servers, possibly leagues – so Gold might have 150 Badges per, Silver 75 and Bronze 35, or their server number equivalents, about silver costs idk. This way it varies as your opportunities for enemies and zerging about do. The first problem I foresee with this is servers around the boundaries dropping for easier levelling. It’s unlikely to happen if the difference was lessened, mine is just a placeholder value. That and it might be unlikely in general for a server to consciously tank just for that. This might also add incentive to players going to lower servers, seeing as since the free transfers Gandara’s flooded with less populated server players flocking upwards, which without blaming them only stagnates the problem.

All Is Vain https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/

in WvW

Posted by: Oxalis.3084

Oxalis.3084

They should really, it will also hinder people bringing in rally bots because they can just get books for their alts to level them up instead. I for one don’t like taking my uplevels into battlegrounds to kitten my group… Karma training or not.

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

sPvP players don’t get experience by playing in it. In WvW, players gain experience from events and killing things.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just pointing out that the two don’t really compare.

Maybe some of us are confused.

Not long ago it was said that the scrolls were being removed from PvP – I don’t mind the PVP time but not being able to get them any other way (as we did in the last even, which was awesome) is going to hurt some players who just don’t like to PvP.

Allie, if I had known about WvW at the inception of the game – understood what it was, strategy, ego (by the truckload!) trust, hard work and a darn way to make gold when done correctly… I’d not have spent my first 8 months in PvP almost exclusively and been far more knowledgeable about WvW…

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Definetely, the old Maps need to get a Buff on Badges..
Remove im the badges from the Jumping Puzzle Chests, improve theirfore the rewards you can get fro mthese chests and then definetely raise the badge rates from killing Camp Guards and add to the Loot from killing Keep/Castle/Tower Champs the Badles.

Also give the Street Guards a small chance to reward you with a small amount of badges, so that Roamers also have a better way of gettign badges.
—-

Rewards for WvW in general need to be improved:

• add Tomes of Experience for Badges to gain +1 Level/Skill Points for like 125 Badges per Tome.
    That would make for a Level 80 Character from scrath = 10000 Badges of Honor.
    I think thats an appropriate amount, when you see, that there are players with like nearly 25000 Badges that don’t know, what to do all with them and which would like to make quickly a new Alt, thats instantly ready to WvW with Max Level for example.
    And I thin, someone who plays WvW so much, to have gained so many Badges of Honor, relly deserves it to have a quicker way to level up quickly a new Alt Character with them
  • Ya we know, soon we will get those awesome Hero and Mistforged Weapons that will cost also Badges, but I think thats not enough.
    We get Mistforged Weapon,s then there should be also fitting Armor Sets of the same style, like these Weapons
  • Add the Option to by Traps also with badges of Honor, add alot more new Trap Types..seriously, do you think just 2 Traps is enough?? I think you can be more creative, than to give us only 2 Trap Types to play with …
  • Add unique Finishers that can’t be bought from TP, that you can earn only via playing WvW (the Tourny ones from last time are a joke, if they aren’t permanent!!)
  • Add more Skins of existing Weapon/Armor Sets to the rewards for Badges of Honor
  • Add unique Tonic/ Minipets as rewards for Badges of Honor.
  • Add special WvW specific only Healing/Utility/Elite Skills that you have to unlock with Badges of Honor and having reached certain WvW Ranks
  • Add Options to convert Badges of Honor into Karma or into WvW Exp-Boosters
  • Add as unique reward a new Rune Set that can be bought with Badges of Honor only, which has the unique effect of making your Equipment undestructable
  • Add far more WvW Infusions into the Game (if a Rune Set for undestructable Equipment is no good idea, then instead an Infusion for that!)
  • Let us earn with Badges of Honor some new unique for WvW Town Clothes/Costumes, which can be used also in Combat/ for Costume Brawls

So many options to reward players better in WvW and so less potential gets used so far … so less, that you must start to believe, its on purpose, so that ANet always keeps all options open for later Expansions to ensure, that not all trump cards get played out too quickly …

Roamers access to badges is sadly nil.

Being alone on a map should not stop game progression but it does.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Being alone on a map should not stop game progression but it does.

only if you refuse to solo camps… (which, admittedly, most roamers wont threaten a map. easiest way to find fights is to tell people where you are.)

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Everything should be obtainable for some cost no matter how obscene. Leveling scrolls can’t really break the game so I feel this is pretty reasonable as long as it costs a good amount of badges.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Would be really awesome to be able to exchange badges for tomes of knowledge but not under the current karma train system.

So many people/commanders don’t defend anything because it’s more profitable to let enemies cap and then take it back.

WvW is now pretty much about ignoring enemies and capping empty structures, badges for tomes would just add to this.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

Would be really awesome to be able to exchange badges for tomes of knowledge but not under the current karma train system.

So many people/commanders don’t defend anything because it’s more profitable to let enemies cap and then take it back.

WvW is now pretty much about ignoring enemies and capping empty structures, badges for tomes would just add to this.

free caps dont net many badges
large scale fighting does

in WvW

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

You get many more badgets by fighting enemy players than by campturing structures. In contrast to karma and exp. That is why they are called karma-trains not badget-trains. So this will rather help the anti-karma-train fraction. Also there will be less twinks in WvW.

So please make this come true <3 <3

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Not only did I not say no, I said this “I’m not saying it’s a bad idea,”

So it’s a yes ?

Allie probably can’t make that decision, her pay grade isn’t high enough yet, she can bring it to the attention of the WvW dev team, 3rd cubby hole on the left, 1 stressed out guy with no hair left!

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

What I fear, is that they would implement it as tournament tickets buys, instead of badges, if it’s about temporary content.
That wouldn’t be good, because the tickets gained are not about individual gameplay, but about which server has the more people/coverage in your tier…

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

Not only did I not say no, I said this “I’m not saying it’s a bad idea,”

So it’s a yes ?

Allie probably can’t make that decision, her pay grade isn’t high enough yet, she can bring it to the attention of the WvW dev team, 3rd cubby hole on the left, 1 stressed out guy with no hair left!

actually its prolly not even devon who needs to hear about this, but he may have to give a go-ahead to the rewards team and then they hash out the details

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

comparatively, i assume that most players are spending more $ and gold on lvl 80 characters so more conveniences to level up would be a win-win situation.

Yeah. Every time I want a new character to play in WvW i’m forced to farm gold in PvE for weeks, then powerlevel in a couple of days. It sucks that we have to level at all, but that’s the situation… and playing as an uplevel on a serious level in WvW is not possible.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Sirendor.1394

SPvP players have level 80 from the start, they don’t even need to level.
WvW players have a huge gap in strength from 1 to 80.

In fact, it’s currently faster to get one Tome of Knowledge in SPvP than it is to get 1 level in World vs. World.

Nothing against you Allie, I’m just giving reasons why leveling in WvW needs to be made faster, OR free levels need to be given, OR leveling banished from WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Players also got experience for the LA events. And much more of it than they would have gotten if they’d spent that time playing WvW. And yet, they could still buy tomes.

Fair enough! That is a better comparison, although the LA content was not permanent content.

Yet living story is basically permanent

I can see tomes being available for each event too

in WvW

Immolator.5640

Consider this thread bannered.

in WvW

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

I love this idea – if badge items cannot be salvaged or forged then there has to be other means of making them useful, after all badges are not easy things to get ( if you do it the way it was intended to get them :P) so they should be made the most of. Tomes would be ideal

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

in WvW

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

If you want to level an alt in WvW and in WvW only, you are going to have a bad time. The amount of experience is extremely low in comparison with PvE.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: NiffyinaJiffy.1532

NiffyinaJiffy.1532

I really like this idea, so, +1.
And at the risk of being flamed, I’m going to put this out there:
I wouldn’t mind seeing T6 Mat bags being able to be bought with badges since the drop rate for those are abysmally low from heavy loot bags.

in WvW

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

~thread bannered~

Naz ©

in WvW

Posted by: GlowSticks.9734

GlowSticks.9734

+1 I agree to this post.

in WvW

Sirendor.1394

Keep it on top! We need this.

in WvW

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

This would be super nice! I’d really like it if the my BoH weren’t basically worthless since the unexpected, unannounced, and understated change from being able to do anything with weapons or armor except vendor. I have my legendary, and another gift of battle just incase. No more alts to equip and have a stack of supply traps XD

in WvW

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

But this clearly show that many people simply dont find your level experience in this game to be fun. Why not just get rid of the level grind and simply replace it with more endgame content.

Forget leveling. Throw us into the Horizontal progression from day one/ character creator.

in WvW

Posted by: MjSync.9865

MjSync.9865

Would be nice to have indeed o/

What else to do with 20k badges!

#Xhan Lei Ying [YaK] Warrior
#Chùn Ying [YaK] Guardian
Yakslappars!

in WvW

Posted by: panda the chop chop.4712

panda the chop chop.4712

i would have like 20 lv 80’s lol

IGN: Itspanda

in WvW

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

Fair enough! That is a better comparison, although the LA content was not permanent content.

Well if the concern is to time limit it, then could be a vendor who only appears in WvW during the season, or even better, out of season then people have reason to gather badges and level their alts as a goal.

in WvW

Oak da Vite.9054

Page three?! This thread needs more love! This is a big need!
Please keep it on the first page.

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in WvW

Posted by: insomnia.3178

insomnia.3178

we want this implementation !!it’s a very good idea imho!!come on ANET let’s do it!!! +1

in WvW

Posted by: ualgh.1832

ualgh.1832

while this would be a fantastic addition to WvW as a feature that would certainly help slow the attrition of the WvW playerbase (geared 80 alts with account-bound wxp would open up a whole new world of gameplay), I fear that because Anet has a history of announcing features and then implementing them half a year later, this suggestion will never see the light of day

but oh well, +1

follow me on IG @yung_anime

in WvW

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

I want this please!

Champion Hunter

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Well, since we’re in the midst of temporary content right now, why not have a “limited time” vendor where we can exchange badges for tomes, obsidian shards, etc? Or even make them a relatively cheap option via the tournament ticket reward person when that content comes and use tournament tokens instead? It would have to be something like 5-10 tokens per tome, though, for me to even consider buying them compared to how many I could get in a lesser time investment (Lion’s Arch) for a much lower effort.

in WvW

Posted by: kRAVen.4195

kRAVen.4195

I feel the tombs should be similar to infusions in price. I don’t think 125 badges and one laurel would be an unfair asking price. Anet make this happen!!!

in WvW

Sirendor.1394

I feel the tombs should be similar to infusions in price. I don’t think 125 badges and one laurel would be an unfair asking price. Anet make this happen!!!

If you scrap the laurels and add 20 silver instead, I’ll agree.

in WvW

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

I swear to god if it would be Laurel + Badges again (which means Laurels is the only thing you basicly need for it) I’m going to punch a basket of puppies

Professional noob guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Anet just needs to realize that we don’t want to play their low level game cause it sucks. The Trahearne"s sidekick story isn’t interesting enough to warrant another revisit The dynamic events are really meh,for the most part and the leveling process is nothing but a chore to get done. It will be even less interesting after the feature patch. where you get nothing during to first 30 levels. Just let us buy our way to 80 using an item from the gemstore and enjoy the extra revenue.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in WvW

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

Anet just needs to realize that we don’t want to play their low level game cause it sucks. The Trahearne"s sidekick story isn’t interesting enough to warrant another revisit The dynamic events are really meh,for the most part and the leveling process is nothing but a chore to get done. It will be even less interesting after the feature patch. where you get nothing during to first 30 levels. Just let us buy our way to 80 using an item from the gemstore and enjoy the extra revenue.

The whole of PvE is very weak, with the exception of the World Bosses. The personal story gets worse (rather than better) as it goes on. Some of the early stuff is really good, and even most of the Order missions are fun and have a coherent narrative running through them, but the Trahearne/Pact/Orr stuff?

If someone told you that this is the same company which made four of the best MMO stories around (Guild Wars, Factions, Nightfall, Eye of the North) you’d laugh at them.

in WvW

Posted by: Mute Paladin.5043

Mute Paladin.5043

I would say “Badges of Honor” for “Tome of Knowledge” be a wonderful idea, perhaps the trade ratio should be perhaps … 120 : 1 .

{Northern Shiverpeaks} Yoren Foehammer / Raelin Torchwood

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Just saying: you farm 100-150 badges at 1 night with a good guild raid. Maybe eotm farm gives more, but thats only pve.
I think 30-50 badges would be fair

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

Another reason for people to karma train.

in WvW

Oak da Vite.9054

Another reason for people to karma train.

Wrong. Killing enemy players give you many more badges than capturing structures.
In contrast many people now level their twinks in karma trains because you don’t need good armor and gain many XP for all the events.

I would be really happy if anet would combine this with gaining badges only for killing enemy players and not for pve farming in wvw.

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in WvW

Posted by: Mich.3981

Mich.3981

Best idea ever haha. Let me finally put my 24k badges to use pleaseeeeeee

Michiepoo/Ranger Mich
[Rekz]

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Allie is gone now. Have to get cracking now at least 8 more pages before another red comes here

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in WvW

Immolator.5640

true, banner’d.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Allie has left the building. Perhaps the new guy will make sure this happens

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: seven.9370

seven.9370

Yes! Please do this, WvW needs to be more viable for leveling! +1 to OP
I spend 99% of my time in WvW, and can’t stand PvE anymore after my first 4 level 80s.
Its a nightmare everytime I try to level another alt because PvE is so boring (I manage to gain about 1-2 levels in a week…).