Best Profession for Roaming in Tier 1 WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I’m not in T1, but I’ve never seen a rev roamer. It doesn’t seem like the class has a viable build for roaming – even condi rev is quite weak compared to other condi builds.

Revs are good for squads and zergs, but not in groups of <= 3.

Actually, someone on TC roams with a rev and destroys other roamers all the time.

There is a power herald on the server I currently meet (incidently EU #1) that also absolutely destroys roamers.

No really, I have a p/p condi scrapper that brush off thieves with ease and can go 1v2 against most. I can even duel warriors with their 1 million hp/s regen and still manage to win. Revs and heralds are normally just a minor speedbump that fall easily. But that herald… He slapped me around like a baby and killed me without any effort. I didnt even do any damage because I couldnt. Daredevil stompers break like twigs in comparison.

I wish I could play a kitten herald that good because it would probably replace my scrapper as a roamer. Unfortunetly I cant, lol. I’m not friends with meleeing.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I’m not in T1, but I’ve never seen a rev roamer. It doesn’t seem like the class has a viable build for roaming – even condi rev is quite weak compared to other condi builds.

Revs are good for squads and zergs, but not in groups of <= 3.

Actually, someone on TC roams with a rev and destroys other roamers all the time.

There is a power herald on the server I currently meet (incidently EU #1) that also absolutely destroys roamers.

No really, I have a p/p condi scrapper that brush off thieves with ease and can go 1v2 against most. I can even duel warriors with their 1 million hp/s regen and still manage to win. Revs and heralds are normally just a minor speedbump that fall easily. But that herald… He slapped me around like a baby and killed me without any effort. I didnt even do any damage because I couldnt. Daredevil stompers break like twigs in comparison.

I wish I could play a kitten herald that good because it would probably replace my scrapper as a roamer. Unfortunetly I cant, lol. I’m not friends with meleeing.

That’s just how it is for a lot of folks, really. Some classes click with you in such a way that it fits like a glove. I have at least one friend for every profession that’s extremely good. In fact, I used to know someone (who I think stopped playing now) that would roam on Necromancer pre-HoT and win 1v3+’s all the time. The guy was astonishingly good for roaming on a class that can’t even usually handle a 1v2. And another player that was using some really weird mixture of stats/traits on Ranger that would do the same, constantly getting in to outnumbered fights and eventually killing them all.

It just takes experimenting and patience before you find that class/build that fits you so well most 1v1’s will stop being much of a challenge. I’ve yet to get there myself but I’m just not that great of a player to begin with, lol. It’s always fun watching people when they’re that talented though. As soon as I recognize how skilled someone is I’ll usually stand back and watch them 1vX and laugh my butt off cheering them on.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

That is what I consider a win. If someone runs away because they realized they aren’t going to beat me, that is a win. If I downed/killed them, that is a win.

Everyone seems to have their own philosophy when it comes to roaming. Killing your opponent is a win for sure… but failing to deliver the killing blow and letting your opponent escape? I don’t think I could ever consider that a win. Honestly, I would give the win to my opponent because I know exactly how satisfying it is to escape from my opponent(s) and deny them a kill.

I think if they ran, they didn’t win lol. Maybe it isn’t necessarily a loss to them for having to run, but its definitely not a win if they run away. If running away was winning, then I can just drop a fiery GS and win against an 60 man blob right? lol.. Not good logic in my opinion.

Running away from a 1v1 is admitting defeat to me, anyone needing a full disengage in a fight lost in my eyes. It doesn’t matter how many times a thief tries to go in on me, they’ll either get downed or they’ll have to run away when they realize they can’t hurt me.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

I think if they ran, they didn’t win lol. Maybe it isn’t necessarily a loss to them for having to run, but its definitely not a win if they run away. If running away was winning, then I can just drop a fiery GS and win against an 60 man blob right? lol.. Not good logic in my opinion.

Running away from a 1v1 is admitting defeat to me, anyone needing a full disengage in a fight lost in my eyes. It doesn’t matter how many times a thief tries to go in on me, they’ll either get downed or they’ll have to run away when they realize they can’t hurt me.

Again, it depends on who you ask and how you define things. If a roamer runs into a 60-man blob and manages to disengage and live to tell the tale, then in my eyes, yes, the roamer won. He succeeded in his goal to survive. On the other hand, the 60-man blob intended to kill the lone roamer but failed to do so.

My logic might not make sense to you. Likewise, your logic kind of bewilders me. The objective of a 1v1 fight is to down or kill the other player. I can understand the runner not being the winner of the fight, since he failed to kill you. But if you can’t catch and kill the runner, then why should you be considered the victor if you didn’t fulfill your objective either?

Let’s say you went roaming one evening and all of your fights ended with your opponents fleeing. You were unable to catch any of them. In other words, you did not kill a single player; all your enemies exploited your lack of mobility and chasing ability. I assume that would be a successful evening in your book?

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in WvW

Posted by: jonathanpsmall.3159

jonathanpsmall.3159

roaming in t1
good joke m8

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Again, it depends on who you ask and how you define things. If a roamer runs into a 60-man blob and manages to disengage and live to tell the tale, then in my eyes, yes, the roamer won. He succeeded in his goal to survive. On the other hand, the 60-man blob intended to kill the lone roamer but failed to do so.

My logic might not make sense to you. Likewise, your logic kind of bewilders me. The objective of a 1v1 fight is to down or kill the other player. I can understand the runner not being the winner of the fight, since he failed to kill you. But if you can’t catch and kill the runner, then why should you be considered the victor if you didn’t fulfill your objective either?

Let’s say you went roaming one evening and all of your fights ended with your opponents fleeing. You were unable to catch any of them. In other words, you did not kill a single player; all your enemies exploited your lack of mobility and chasing ability. I assume that would be a successful evening in your book?

So if you get into a fight with someone irl and you punch them so hard they trip over themselves then they decide to run away, do you win? lol.

Like I said, may not be a “victory” but it certainly isn’t defeat if I get into a fight with someone who runs from me. By your logic, thief wins every fight since they can just use the bad game mechanic that is their mobility and ininitely shortbow5 away lol.. Not a win when they do that, thats admitting defeat.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Tien.3865

So if you get into a fight with someone irl and you punch them so hard they trip over themselves then they decide to run away, do you win? lol.

I can go that route too. If a someone with a gun breaks into a house with the intention of killing the resident, but the resident escapes, does the shooter win? lol.

Like I said, may not be a “victory” but it certainly isn’t defeat if I get into a fight with someone who runs from me. By your logic, thief wins every fight since they can just use the bad game mechanic that is their mobility and ininitely shortbow5 away lol.. Not a win when they do that, thats admitting defeat.

Okay, so a thief who runs from you is not the winner of the fight. I can agree with that. But that’s not my main point. My main point is that you aren’t the winner. You didn’t even kill the guy.

You say that thieves abusing their mobility is “bad.” But how else is he going to beat you? You claimed that thieves will never beat you, but that’s just the height of arrogance. If you ever encounter a thief who knows what he’s doing, a combination of patience and mobility will be the reason he’ll beat you. He’ll kite you when you’re in your damage attunements, interrupt your overloads to negate your main source of damage, and constantly disengage to throw you off guard, hoping that you’ll make a mistake. He might even fully disengage and then later attack you when you’re not expecting it. It’s the best chance he has to kill you.

You also can’t boil down all instances of running away to “admitting defeat.” I’ve ran from plenty of fights merely because I got bored. I’ve ran from fights because I saw enemies in the distance and didn’t want to be ganked. I’ve ran from fights because I wasn’t running a build suited to roaming, or had another objective in mind. I’ve even ran because the terrain/location of the fight wasn’t to my advantage, and later won those same fights because I lured them to a more even playing field.

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

One guy can’t chase or deal the finishing blow because he plays a low mobility sustain bunker/bruiser so he’s made up his mindset that he wins if the enemy runs.

Then the other guy’s playstyle and build has enough DPS so he considers letting enemies get away as a “not win” situation.

It’s not like Anet made any set of rules to determine what’s a win and what’s a lose in roaming. No point in making opinions facts.

My opinion is that the best class would be something in the middle, something that can both kill and run regardless of the build and only necros and DH can’t do both.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I can go that route too. If a someone with a gun breaks into a house with the intention of killing the resident, but the resident escapes, does the shooter win? lol.

Okay, so a thief who runs from you is not the winner of the fight. I can agree with that. But that’s not my main point. My main point is that you aren’t the winner. You didn’t even kill the guy.

You say that thieves abusing their mobility is “bad.” But how else is he going to beat you? You claimed that thieves will never beat you, but that’s just the height of arrogance. If you ever encounter a thief who knows what he’s doing, a combination of patience and mobility will be the reason he’ll beat you. He’ll kite you when you’re in your damage attunements, interrupt your overloads to negate your main source of damage, and constantly disengage to throw you off guard, hoping that you’ll make a mistake. He might even fully disengage and then later attack you when you’re not expecting it. It’s the best chance he has to kill you.

You also can’t boil down all instances of running away to “admitting defeat.” I’ve ran from plenty of fights merely because I got bored. I’ve ran from fights because I saw enemies in the distance and didn’t want to be ganked. I’ve ran from fights because I wasn’t running a build suited to roaming, or had another objective in mind. I’ve even ran because the terrain/location of the fight wasn’t to my advantage, and later won those same fights because I lured them to a more even playing field.

No point in arguing with him. The guy’s as ignorant as a vegan christian feminist.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I walked away from a bunker ele tonight after it became apparent it was a stalemate. They kept following me around and I kept killing the yaks around them. I don’t feel like I lost nor do I feel like they won.

in WvW

Tien.3865

Yeah, he’s not changing his mind anytime soon. I’ll save myself the frustration and see myself out.

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

roaming in t1 good joke m8

^

Honestly though the best profession to solo/duo roam with is the one you’re most comfortable/effective with. With the number of horrible players in WvW you’re going to be able to get lots of kills simply running some sort of reasonable/meta build with any class.

Of course it changes when you start to actually be a roaming group (3-5) where you can start to think about comps and what not.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer