Can we help WvW by Presentation?

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

If you think so, then great! Me too. This topic is about presentation. This is not about manners, or some interpretation of professional writing. The goal is to help you to clarify your idea. So, hear me out. Having seen countless posts over the 4 odd years in this section I can safely say a majority of posts can be skipped over.

This is where my opinion starts, and here are classified post for ones I’d avoid, or that I couldn’t take seriously:

Misuse of Q/As : This post essentially has a topic title that isn’t even a question, and asks a question that more than likely can’t be answered by the community.

Grocery Lists : Often these come off as demanding, and don’t even ask for contributions from the community. These style of topics have been rare recently.

Polls : Creating an effective poll is hard enough. The Poll form itself means that while players interact with the creator, they barely interact with each other. At best, I got a chuckle out of another player.

Advertisements : Yes, this self promotion is a form of advertisement (and that is okay!). Often there are posts that promote a video with no context, and I tend to skip these (others might care, and that’s fine). I am okay with using hyperlinks to leave the forums if the OP provides discussion alongside. In my opinion, pure game play videos just don’t help me.

Poor Critiques : This usually stems from lacking the vocabulary to give a decent critique, and I’ll try to provide those finicky words. In this example it is about map design, but the OP doesn’t provide much substance beyond “sucks, OP, isn’t worth.” The words that would help involve Art and some know how of Game Types. If you wish to save time, and spend 10 dollars you can learn most of that funk here

TLDRs : A sad reality, but people don’t have time for all of that. What happened here is the OP got overly specific to each, and every class. If this happens to you, then I suggest to compliment your topic with a detailed video!

Bad Titles : You wouldn’t know from the title, but this was about removing downstate. If you can’t think of a title initially, then I’d advise naming your topic last (it will come by then usually).

I do not hate any of the above users. They are merely mentioned for learning!

Pretend Commenter Voice: Well gee, this is sounding an awfully like that “Inappropriate Forum Topics” post!

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

(edited by Chinchilla.1785)

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

No, but wait there’s more! I am merely suggesting posting topics in the above formats is going to net fewer discussions. I am not saying they all lead to a toxic environment.

Again, my opinion, I have classified some posts that I do pay attention to:

Good Titles : Having a reliable title sets the stage for discussion. The OP is about the title…and again I advise naming your topic last.

Announcements : Usually these need to be informative, or lead to community events. Being the stickied thread there was some amount of reason put into it.

Some Details : Emphasis on “Some,” and most importantly the OP isn’t writing a short story’s length.

Gives Sources : Yep, it’s an ANET post, but the OP does provide at least 1 source that is relevant to the topic (that then cites more).

Notice that these topics are not perfect! It’s fine as long as you engage your audience about any miscommunication.

Pretend Commenter Voice: Super! So gimmie the knowledge to attract attention to my idea.

What? This isn’t about click bait…fine, understand this first.

Short hand for communication is like this: Your Idea -> Your Execution of that Idea -> Their Interpretation of Your Idea. When they respond, then they follow that same chain back to you. Your goal is to make those three things match up initially to reduce miscommunication.

Here is an EZmode check list to help with that:

1. Does my title have mostly relevant words from my post? (Sets the stage of incoming traffic)
2. Is my idea within the first few sentences? (This gets to the point)
3. Who is my topic excluding, and including? (Mainly important for Game Design itself, but forces you to sympathize)
4. Do I have a source or link for more detail? (Support your idea so it can stand on its own)
5. Am I using sensible vocabulary for my topic? (Specific words can save on word count, and show some level of credibility)

Sorry, I don’t have an acronym. I hope this helped you to help WvW that will help players to play…the helping chain! Now here is where I ask you guys. Was this useful? Most importantly. Why or why not?

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I am having the strongest Freshman Composition flashback.

I would applaud anything that decreases the number of speculation/idea threads re: new elite specializations.

I like your suggestions. They make perfect sense for having a fluid, informative, engaging discourse.

I personally mostly enjoy dropping in sarcastic remarks, for which the MLA format is fairly useless.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

I personally mostly enjoy dropping in sarcastic remarks, for which the MLA format is fairly useless.

I mainly use sarcasm to compensate for my lack of wit.

But yes. This isn’t no mla!

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

We already have a thread about posting feedback

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-Give-Good-Feedback-1

“The ArenaNet Team recognizes that, as a forum member and a player, you may want to share your feedback about the game. We welcome your doing so! We cannot reply to every thread on the Guild Wars 2 forums, but rest assured that most are read.

The purpose of this post is to provide a little guidance about how to give thoughtful, well-presented, and constructive feedback. Keeping a feedback or suggestion thread on-topic and relevant increases the likelihood that members of the Development Team will read the feedback and share it with their team members, even engage in the thread, if time allows.

If you create a feedback thread, we would appreciate it if you monitor the thread and send reports to the moderators when things veer off-topic or when the content of the thread becomes disruptive. Moderators then can kitten post content to ensure the conversation is on the right track. Do keep in mind, though, that it’s not appropriate to report a post simply because it contains a different opinion than your own.

When posting feedback, please keep these considerations in mind:

Suggest improvements: “What can I suggest that will make this game content better?”
How do you think this particular element or aspect of the game could be improved?
What changes to other Guild Wars 2 content resulted in improvements that you liked?
How have you seen this particular problem solved in other games?

Give details and examples: Not a generic “I don’t like this!” but a specific “I think this could be improved by {suggestions}.” And if someone asks a question about the topic, don’t just answer it — explain why you answered the way you did.

Present opinions as opinions, not facts: Not “This is the only possible change” or “Your idea will not work” but “This is my idea” or “I believe {alternative suggestion} would be the better because {reasons}.”

Speak from experience: If you’re offering an opinion on new or changed game content, get experience with it before commenting. If you offer input on a profession, skill set, or game mode, be sure you have sufficient background in the subject to validate your opinion. Opinions are welcome, but they’re always best when they’re grounded in fact and experience and, again, when they’re presented as a personal opinion and not an immutable fact.

Be accurate: If your feedback includes inaccurate information, readers may discard it completely. Do some fact-checking and read through a thread before joining in. This helps you avoid making redundant or inaccurate comments.

Use references: If there’s a dev forum post, a blog post, an interview, or an external resource, include links in your post so that readers can see you’ve done your homework and have reviewed previously-released information before offering feedback or making a suggestion.

Avoid making it personal: Resist arguing with a person, but by all means debate a point being made. Not, “I think your idea is bad” but “I would prefer to see this handled a different way {details} because {reasons}.” Not “I know the game better than you,” but “In playing GW2 I have found…”

Don’t take things personally: By the same token, don’t be offended if someone disagrees with your opinion or suggests alternatives to an idea you’ve put forth. Also, if you make a suggestion and the developers choose to move in a different direction, don’t let that bother you or color your opinion, but review the changes with an open mind and offer your thoughts without rancor.

Share positives: Not all feedback involves a suggestion on how things could be changed or improved. Sharing your thoughts on things that you like in the game is helpful, because your satisfaction can help steer us in the right direction with future development.

As you can see, what you are saying is important, but how you are saying it is equally important. Your strongest points will be lost if they are delivered without details, if they’re presented in an aggressive or unpleasant tone, or if they are buried in a huge wall of meandering text.

By considering the points above, your feedback will be focused on providing solutions to problems rather than simply focusing on the problems. It will shine a light on content that you enjoy, so that we’re aware of that fact when making future updates and developing upcoming projects. These things are the heart of what we’re looking for from your feedback, and both will result in the best game possible!"

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

“[the link itself]”

Yep. I am already aware of that. Problem is this section of the forums lacks a sticky of that subject. We only have a don’t do this list. Yes, people could venture into that section. Topics in this section suggest that people ignore that post, or haven’t ventured into that part of the forums. Perhaps having something similar to that notion in this section might help.

While this topic on Etiquette was derailed all over the place, I had already suggested putting that topic into the WvW forums :

I think some of you made a good point. The title of that thread about undesired forum topics didn’t have a very clear title. I just swapped it out to “Inappropriate Forum Topics.” Think that works?

Dwayna bless you.

If you believe we need a completely separate thread to call out what defines a match-up thread, I can make one. I rather admire Chinchilla’s one-liner on that topic as a definition. I’m hoping to not have a lot of “housekeeping” threads, so am hopeful the one will work.

Another post shouldn’t be necessary now that ‘bad’ things have an identifiable place. This probably concludes this whole thread, but there is another side of the coin that could be addressed. What is considered a good or engaging topic? While there is a past post that discusses it in detail back in the general forums, but I find that I usually don’t visit there (this might be true with other people in specific sections). So again, people are potentially unaware of something that could benefit.

You could copy pasta that into the WvW forums (and presumably other sections) or recreate one in the style of “Inappropriate Forum Topics” with provided forum examples.

….

Since the suggestion wasn’t taken yet, I did this myself in order to help. Cheers love!

in WvW

Swagger.1459

“[the link itself]”

Yep. I am already aware of that. Problem is this section of the forums lacks a sticky of that subject. We only have a don’t do this list. Yes, people could venture into that section. Topics in this section suggest that people ignore that post, or haven’t ventured into that part of the forums. Perhaps having something similar to that notion in this section might help.

While this topic on Etiquette was derailed all over the place, I had already suggested putting that topic into the WvW forums :

I think some of you made a good point. The title of that thread about undesired forum topics didn’t have a very clear title. I just swapped it out to “Inappropriate Forum Topics.” Think that works?

Dwayna bless you.

If you believe we need a completely separate thread to call out what defines a match-up thread, I can make one. I rather admire Chinchilla’s one-liner on that topic as a definition. I’m hoping to not have a lot of “housekeeping” threads, so am hopeful the one will work.

Another post shouldn’t be necessary now that ‘bad’ things have an identifiable place. This probably concludes this whole thread, but there is another side of the coin that could be addressed. What is considered a good or engaging topic? While there is a past post that discusses it in detail back in the general forums, but I find that I usually don’t visit there (this might be true with other people in specific sections). So again, people are potentially unaware of something that could benefit.

You could copy pasta that into the WvW forums (and presumably other sections) or recreate one in the style of “Inappropriate Forum Topics” with provided forum examples.

….

Since the suggestion wasn’t taken yet, I did this myself in order to help. Cheers love!

Then you should have asked Gaile to repost that in the “sticky” section here, because it clearly lays out what the devs are looking for from players when posting feedback.

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

Then you should have asked Gaile to repost that in the “sticky” section here, because it clearly lays out what the devs are looking for from players when posting feedback.

I did send her a PM (for what it is worth).

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I did send her a PM (for what it is worth).

Perfect!

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785