Cheating Dev

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

Last night in the borderlands we had an invincible dev that could switch classes and sides at will. He switched to guardian for stability, then to mesmer so he could port a full tc map queue into an upgraded bay. Stood around in the lord room mocking us, switching from JQ to BG to TC while they worked on inner. Never seen anything quite like it, and clearly an abuse of power.

The first ss shows him being invincible, the last three his ability to switch sides at will.

Attachments:

[TW] Pumped

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Trick.9370

Trick.9370

Not sure if this is a real dev but if so I he must be fed up with WvW also ;P

Xcefior – dd ele
All alone in space and time.
There’s nothing here but whats here is mine.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Probably he wanted to test some stuff, he might have went to EOTM but enemy karma traint went trough him ignoring it as a target, so he decided to play the test on the useless WvW.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Wow, that is unbelievable. If it wasn’t for the screenshots I wouldn’t think it was true. Did you get his account name at the very least? You could block him and find out if it was a GM or not from his character name. I was going to say that it was perhaps a GM looking to observe wrongdoing or the general game experience, but porting in an entire zerg? Wow. This is perhaps one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen in wvw, and I’ve seen some really bizarre stuff.

And that is definitely a real dev or GM. The icon doesn’t lie. One thing that actually occurred to me that makes me laugh a little: what if someone hacked his account? That would make this all twice as hilarious.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Probably a left over from the ‘adopt a dev’ who forgot to log in during the season and was moved to spvp afterwards, and wanted to see what happens in wvw…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

I’m not so sure on this I mean surely if a Dev wanted to make a keep turn another color they could do it a lot easier and discreet by flicking some figurative switch behind the scenes?

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

its the only way they can test things in a real enviroment without closing the servers and hiring many testers or doing other closed test , without being facerolled.

also it could do with visual evidence of the no white swords collecting real information.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

its the only way they can test things in a real enviroment without closing the servers and hiring many testers or doing other closed test , without being facerolled.

also it could do with visual evidence of the no white swords collecting real information.

I hope you are sarcastic.

Also waiting for a red spot(if thread doesn’t get deleted even).

I saved it just in case though – https://archive.today/OcNP3

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Veeber.3192

Veeber.3192

I’m wondering why you didn’t take pics of the supposed portal that he did. Ever think that he is investigating reports (which they can be invincible if they want) and that’s why he’s standing there.

I’m not saying he didn’t cheat but you have very little to back up your claim.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Odd, but still in your pictures it seems like the enemy zerg is coming from the “front door”, that’s the direction everyone is taking to head to the lord.

You only showed pictures of him changing sides between JC, TC and BG. However there’s none of this ability to “change professions”. Well guess we’ll have to wait for the red post :/

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Odd, but still in your pictures it seems like the enemy zerg is coming from the “front door”, that’s the direction everyone is taking to head to the lord.

You only showed pictures of him changing sides between JC, TC and BG. However there’s none of this ability to “change professions”. Well guess we’ll have to wait for the red post :/

Also he said “upgraded bay” when the first picture while he still own bay shows that it’s a paper bay (0/500 depot). I think he is exagerating…

All we see is the guy just standing there, changing sides and doing nothing…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Hmm last week 3 devs run with Dgins in EOTM. All 3 were able to be hit, die, be rezzed etc. They were in my zerg and nothing funny went on there.

Your pics show conditions on him in first one. AFter that just standing around watching. nothing to show him porting zergs in, etc..

That one person.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Trick.9370

Trick.9370

Probably switching server to let others know not to bother with the dev(?).

Xcefior – dd ele
All alone in space and time.
There’s nothing here but whats here is mine.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Why is his name “Blackgate Invader” when on friendly team?

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Probably switching server to let others know not to bother with the dev(?).

Could have sworn dev’s have the ability to be invisible if they aren’t playing. Even if he didn’t use hacks and port people in he shouldn’t be standing there screwing with people.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Or a hacked dev account?

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Or someone investigating a reported issue?

Funny how people always complain about the lack of devs/GMs/whatever in game, and yet when they actually end up in game to check out issues (that people also complain about them never doing) people start shouting about abusing powers and cheating.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Upgraded bay? Screenshot saying 0/500 wich is not upgraded at all. Screenshots do not provide any evidence about the zerg being ported in. So im guessing the OP just seeing ghosts as there is nothing abnormal about any screenshot.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I am still trying to see how this is an abuse of power OP, they are dev’s, they can flip from one server to another as an observers or to perform some command actions for somethign they saw, it is a valid reason to set invunerable for a few secs to type those necessary commands.

Proly was observing both servers gameplay, he was tagged up, in the SS looks like players decided to atack him like it would drop a chest with precursors, instead of defend the shrine/ castle.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

OP is just salty about the GM powers being displayed so brazenly. It tends to appear god-like and feel like cheating to players without those powers, especially when the observers have become immersed in the existent rules as a world that they’re experiencing.

The only abuse the screenshots show is a bit of callousness toward that. Normally, the GMs hide their power, to not be disruptive in that way. Dev probably did violate some office policies.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

My guess is the gm was investigating who ever was doing the porting. Either he forgot to turn on the invisible powers or something technical went wrong.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

OP, if he switched sides, who did he cheat for?

Your making a knee jerk reaction accusation, without providing evidence that he did anything to turn the tide for one side or the other. Secondly, given all of the cryers complaining that devs need to pay more attention to WvW, you sure are having a negative effect on that. One shows up and you label them a “cheater” and fling accusations.

Worst part, is I feel the OP is lying. They claim the character in question and professions, yet has no evidence of that. As well, what does changing sides have to do with anything, they are not fighting once changing sides.

Posters like the OP are what hurt the game. They make a conscience effort to accuse every Anet person in game if some insidious or nefarious deed, then cry that the game mode doesn’t get enough attention.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I would try to explain what’s wrong with someone who is invulnerable and swapping teams in a competitive environment, but that would be a waste of time since anyone defending it is clearly beyond any reasonable or cohesive thoughts.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

I would try to explain what’s wrong with someone who is invulnerable and swapping teams in a competitive environment, but that would be a waste of time since anyone defending it is clearly beyond any reasonable or cohesive thoughts.

No, go right ahead. Lay out your structured argument for why a GM shouldn’t have these abilities and why it is a flagrant foul to be seen GMing.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Some would defend it, but mostly because they are not bothered to be angry about it. It’s a “mistakes happen” moment. It isn’t a mistake that should happen, but that’s the nature of mistakes.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

lol. Dev uses Signet if Resolve in WvW. What a scruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub.

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I would also like to see evidence of him porting in the zerg. The screenshots don’t say much. It is a bit odd to just have him standing there switching sides and being invul, but without evidence of him actually doing something wrong as in actual cheating (porting a zerg in) I’m hesitant to say he was there to do something bad. I’m leaning towards either:

a) Hacked dev account who did port in the zerg
b) GM who made a mistake and forgot to make himself invisible
c) Includes b, but maybe another player did cheat and port a zerg in and someone reported them. GM shows up to check it out. Not sure what the switching sides thing is about, though. I’ve got nothing for that.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: SonofNoob.3102

SonofNoob.3102

Those screenshots were taken AFTER he ported in the zerg to flip our upgraded bay and we fought to take bay back. Another Anet dev in the BG TS saw this with his own eyes. The Dev in channel told us to post a thread about it.

(edited by SonofNoob.3102)

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Nokaru.7831

I really like the people who keeps saying the guy “forgot to make himself invisible” after he was being attacked and nuked by many players. He sure didn’t forget how to swap his team though.

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

I really like the people who keeps saying the guy “forgot to make himself invisible” after he was being attacked and nuked by many players. He sure didn’t forget how to swap his team though.

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Judging the evidence while ignoring the hear say. That causing your brain to hurt is irrelevant to how evidence-based judgement should work.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Nokaru.7831

Judging the evidence while ignoring the hear say. That causing your brain to hurt is irrelevant to how evidence-based judgement should work.

• He was in World vs. World while unkillable with live players.
  • He wasn’t invisible.
  • He knew he wasn’t invisible because people were attacking him.
  • While being aware of all of the above, he changed his teams twice.

If he didn’t want to disrupt the play of their customers, he would have made himself invisible. Most, if not all Game Masters are invisible. This guy was either incredibly stupid or being intentionally disruptive.

I’m not going by any hearsay of “swapping to Mesmer” and “portaling people in.” The things above are things he shouldn’t have been doing. If he was “testing something”, they have their own internal testing environment for that. Why? So it doesn’t disrupt live players.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

How long ago did this happen? Because a bug was fixed yesterday where players could use Orphan Laine’s Letter to become invincible in wvw/pvp. The dev/gm could have been testing to confirm it.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

Give me 10 minutes to write up my response. =) I’m the “cheating Dev”.

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

LOL. The guy in charge of finding the cheaters.

I’m sure there is a good reason, but maybe you could tell people what you’re doing.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Michael, Michael, Michael. I told you your life of crime would catch up with you!

Oh and I’m JUST kidding. He’ll be able to give you the info you need on this — it’s actually good news as far as dealing with real cheaters!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

I haven’t read this entire thread because it started to become a lot of “I heard he/she did this”. Here’s what is happening and you’re going to see more of it.

There are 6 GMs with the power to monitor WvW in the live environment and all work directly under me. The shots above are of me (GM Proheals) standing in Bay after BlackGate took the point.
I ran all the way from TCs Gari into Bay visible and was a Guardian the entire time. No tool exists to allow anyone to switch professions.

We have the ability to switch to any of the 3 teams (blue/green/red) in order to properly police WvW. This allows us to visibly take action against players due to recent outcry that we aren’t actually there doing anything. We can also switch to a fourth team making us ‘friendly’ to all teams but we can’t communicate with you when we do. We also can’t communicate with hostile teams which is why we’re team switching.

These characters are separate from both our play and work accounts – and when used in WvW are only policing. Any interaction such as killing or taking a point (standing in the circle) will flag for audit.

This wasn’t a test. I was there doing live monitoring of the WvW environment. We’re looking for hacks, invisible players, siege griefing, and more. We’ll be present on all servers randomly for both NA & EU and have no bearing on the outcome of a match.

See https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Ingame-GMs-do-they-exist for more on what we do in WvW.

Many of you know me in game and I thank you for the positive feedback we’re getting while we work on keeping WvW balanced and fair. If you helped me take down a cheater – cheers!

GM Delicious Intent
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

You still owe me a loot bag! I was the thief backstabbing you on the wall. Nearly downed you and suddenly you’re friendly. :P

Interesting to see what a GM can do ingame though!

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

• He was in World vs. World while unkillable with live players.
  • He wasn’t invisible.
  • He knew he wasn’t invisible because people were attacking him.
  • While being aware of all of the above, he changed his teams twice.

If he didn’t want to disrupt the play of their customers, he would have made himself invisible. Most, if not all Game Masters are invisible. This guy was either incredibly stupid or being intentionally disruptive.

I’m not going by any hearsay of “swapping to Mesmer” and “portaling people in.” The things above are things he shouldn’t have been doing. If he was “testing something”, they have their own internal testing environment for that. Why? So it doesn’t disrupt live players.

That’s just it.

I have an entirely different judgement of your bulleted facts. To my view, his disruption was a mistake unworthy of vitriol. It’s even somewhat amusing.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Please tell me you’re going to be cracking down on cheaters.

PM me if you want to know the name of someone who has been cheating for over a year and a half straight non stop. He is cheating constantly and doesn’t turn this exploit off. He laughs about it because he’s been doing it for so long without being banned and even makes fun of Anet for it.

Reporting this individual with 100% proof videos, or having literally HUNDREDS of people reporting him has done nothing.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

I also want to point out that I didn’t find any cheating during this session. I’m not sure where the mesmer portal theory is coming from as I watched all 3 teams run in to bay correctly and fairly.

GM Delicious Intent
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

You still owe me a loot bag! I was the thief backstabbing you on the wall. Nearly downed you and suddenly you’re friendly. :P

Interesting to see what a GM can do ingame though!

Ha! Terribly sorry about that. The teamswitch command is a bit rough to type and I was trying desperately to move to your friendly team.

GM Delicious Intent
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

Please tell me you’re going to be cracking down on cheaters.

PM me if you want to know the name of someone who has been cheating for over a year and a half straight non stop. He is cheating constantly and doesn’t turn this exploit off. He laughs about it because he’s been doing it for so long without being banned and even makes fun of Anet for it.

Reporting this individual with 100% proof videos, or having literally HUNDREDS of people reporting him has done nothing.

Add me! Account is in my sig.

GM Delicious Intent
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Virtute — his actions were not in any way a mistake.

This was intended action by a trusted employee. And the result of such actions would be the removal of one or more persistent cheater, so that’s a very good thing.

Michael alludes to “audits” and you should know that all actions made on any employee account are tracked. This is a way for us to ensure that everyone is above board at all times, which means when a question like the one that started this thread arises, we can answer it pretty quickly and with great accuracy.

Thanks to Michael for the detailed explanation and to him and his team for workign to take out the baddies!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Michael, it looks like you need a spectator mode without your own character model being rendered. The match interference is in the fact that for whatever team you’re currently flagged as, the opponent teams will try to kill you with extreme prejudice. That alters their decision making, and causes group leaders to lose control of their teams.

I originally called it a mistake because I felt that the above should be obvious in deciding how such a GM account would interface.

Furthermore, the visibility of your GM guild tag is going to alter the behavior of nearby baddies.

(edited by Virtute.8251)

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Add me! Account is in my sig.

Added you! Thank you. I hope this is resolved soon!

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Well, I was close on b and c I guess. And it makes sense that you wouldn’t make yourself invisible because people might be wondering who the hell is talking in say/map chat if you had to say something and they can’t see them (and then assume it really is a hacker). Same goes with the team switching.

Glad to have you around, Mike.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

Michael, it looks like you need a spectator mode without your own character model being rendered. The match interference is in the fact that for whatever team you’re currently flagged as, the opponent teams will try to kill you with extreme prejudice. That alters their decision making, and causes group leaders to lose control of their teams.

I originally called it a mistake because I felt that the above should be obvious in deciding how such a GM account would interface.

Furthermore, the visibility of your GM guild tag is going to alter the behavior of nearby baddies.

During a fight we’re switched to friendly to all unless there is chat we need to monitor, then we go invis. Watch us in action and you’ll see we actually don’t get in the way. The screenshot above was taken after bay was turned and the team had no hostiles. I was showing them how the tool worked and assuring them that I wouldn’t die and drop loot bags.

GM Delicious Intent
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Well, I was close on b and c I guess. And it makes sense that you wouldn’t make yourself invisible because people might be wondering who the hell is talking in say/map chat if you had to say something and they can’t see them (and then assume it really is a hacker). Same goes with the team switching.

Glad to have you around, Mike.

It wouldn’t necessarily be strange for a user named “GM whatever” to type into chat as a “ghost in the machine”. All of us who are aware of admin or GM powers know that “ghost in the machine” is precisely their role in system. It would only feel weird to people with no concept of that fact, and even then it would be a short-lived strangeness. They would learn that it is normal here.

I doubt that it would need to happen often, if at all.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Virtute.8251

During a fight we’re switched to friendly to all unless there is chat we need to monitor, then we go invis. Watch us in action and you’ll see we actually don’t get in the way. The screenshot above was taken after bay was turned and the team had no hostiles. I was showing them how the tool worked and assuring them that I wouldn’t die and drop loot bags.

So I can go back to laughing about this moment.

Now I kinda wonder who the other GM was. The one in BG TS who said that this thread should be made.

Cheating Dev

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Reborn — they are not playing. They are monitoring the game and acting upon reports of cheating by players.

The account that you see is never used to play the game. It is used only to take care of customer support issues within the game.

Please read the thread with care and you will better understand what happened and how our policies expressly forbid what you seem to be worried about.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet