Colin Johanson on GW2

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

People bring up keep swapping and kill swapping as a problem.

To me it should be

Rank= player kill >>> objective
Currency= objective >> pk

As for kill swapping I see it being more like DaoC in that the roaming groups will find you, wipe you out and report the people on there side who do it.

Also with a RR system like DaoC had the Zerg was like training wheels, you stayed with it till about rr5 but at that point you had enough experiance to venture out with a small group and the points you where getting became so slow (since it shared with the Zerg) that to keep ranking up your really had to move on.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Ranks need to be gained from kills only and there needs to be scaling on the points gained for kills. Players that get killed constantly need to worth a lot less or even nothing. Players that don’t die often need to be worth a lot more. This only serves to help balance population imbalances where a bigger zerg will constantly destroy smaller groups. So when a smaller group does finally kill an enemy in the big zerg they get exonentially more than the enemy gets for a kill. Some of the coding is already in the game via bonus xp for killing mobs that have been alive for a long time.

Taking camps, towers, garrisons, etc need to reward almost no rank points because then it rewards objective swapping a la Warhammer. Perhaps rewarding more points for objectives that aren’t taken often or defense? But that might lead to giant zergs taking a enemy tower and camping in it to continually get defense points.

Paid transfers are nice…but FAR too late. What are they going to do about the already large imbalances on certain servers? This can and will force people out of WvW because they are fighting a much bigger zerg and with no hope of either transfers to their server or transfers off their server they will stop playing WvW. I hope they have some sort of population balancing mechanic coming before they put in paid transfers. Maybe the underdog world gets a ton more realm points? Or maps have a population limit based on the lowest server with a certain threshold so the low server can’t just lock out a map by not going to it? Or make it so only certain maps are available at certain population limits and when limits aren’t met the other maps become worthless? Just spitballing!

I REALLY hope ArenaNet has considered these things but I’d wager they haven’t in favor to get something out the door. It will ultimately have a negative impact on WvW and that is worse than just doing nothing at the moment. I am overly negative though, but I just don’t see Anet looking at the consequences of their additions after the whole Ascended gear debacle that had giant neon glowing issues they apparently missed by a mile.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I hope Anet considers any possible problems but I really hope they just make their own system and not read too much into these threads.

Kash
NSP

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: CrassBippy.4619

CrassBippy.4619

I’m just glad they are updating maps to keep things fresh/interesting and putting such a strong focus on fixing bugs/exploits…..oh wait they are not.

Overall I would say they whole thing is rather disappointing (not just wvw) from the stand point of this being the next six months (thats it really?). But I kind of expected this already so not really disappointed.

I don’t really see any of this keeping the game from dieing like it has been, but oh well other games are coming out soon. And for Colin we all appreciate a couple of pages of investor bs/pr spin/useless hype.

Games not dying, doors that way

Bi Furious [Fist] YB

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Edragor.9164

Edragor.9164

Paid Transfers, Spectator Mode, Guesting, WvW player/guild(?) ranks & visual rewards, more/better achievements, more/improved WvW objectives, culling-fix/-improvements ahead, Player Arenas with own rules (hopeing for TDM/LMS modes!!^^) and some not specified improvements to guilds in general…plus the stuff mentioned in the WvW Dev thread (i.e. Siege Despawn Timer).

Sounds all in all pretty awesome, but some concerns,too…

Realm Abilities
Even the slightest edge over another player via skills/stats can harm pvp on grand scale:
- Either by introducing a tret-mill which discourages pvp newbies on the long run…
AND/OR
- Gets overpowered via player numbers thus giving even more incentives to zerg…

Suggestions:
→ Keep the current weapon/skill/trait system in place!
→ Handle those realm abilities like elite skills
→ Make them WvW specific and (visually) powerful without overpowering them for small fights and 1vs1
i.E.:
- Weak boons with very short duration BUT effecting up to 10/25/50 players at once
- AoE with very low dps BUT effecting more than 5 players

This way you strengthen battles/fights of the following types:
- Coordinated Group/solo vs Zerg
- Coordinated Zerg vs Pug Zerg
…but without affecting:
- Group/solo vs Group/solo
- Zerg vs solo/group

WvW UI improvements
At least the commanders neeeeed more tools/info on things like:
- Current supply
- Players in Squad (alive/dead/offline)
- Classes in Squad available
- Showing raid/squad/group members in different colors on (mini-) map

Reading A-Nets concerns I get that they dont want WoW Raid roster and every little boon active or HP changes to be shown…but at least some more easy accesible infos are needed.

Especially if the fights already started, u wont type a command into chat before you decide if there still plenty supply for a balliste, or you dont want to realize that the only mesmer in your raid already logged out 5mins ago while your commander cries out for portal bombing the enemy…

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

mmm, can’t wait to see what htey have in store.

Attachments:

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Sort out culling, if that isn`t done, the patch is next to pointless. If this is done, I can then log & play, rather then my current log on, do daily in WvWs, log off routine.

NPC commander. Get shot of it! Doubt they will, but if not, make it level to amount of enemy players that are trying to defend, not the kitten that it is now. Also, loot drop from it.
Also, make it only spawn if defenders aren`t stupidly out-manned.

Remove the AoE cap, having that is still one of the most kittenarded things in PvP.

Are titles necessary? Sure, I had some rare pvp ones in warcraft that both friendlies & enemy could see, but if enemy can`t see these I don`t think they matter at all.

Dolyak runners, will they get something for doing what has to be done? Bots aren`t a problem as they`re all in main zones nowadays.
Defenders get nothing right now, changes to that would help make players defend.

Loot, is that going to be equalised to normal zones? If not, remove cost of repair vendors, WP installs etc. Put them on a few minutes timer after a keep etc is taken instead. Keep repairs cost, stops silly runners kamikaze style.

Dead players spying. Remove this, either open their map or something.

Paid transfers should be held off. Few I know have stuck to quiet PvE servers because have made guilds & they lose all that influence etc. Make guilds properly movable before stuff like this kicks in.

Remove chat blocking. amount of times a Commander et al has to whisper someone else because they`ve been suppressed hinders things.

Proper WvWs sub-forums. Anyone can still see what set servesr are saying, but makes finding local info` loads easier.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

(edited by Fishbait.6723)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

Another thought as to why I would prefer it to not be based off kills, is that WvW scoring and winning is about objective’s. Wiping the enemy is simply a means to an end, something you must do to ensure your safety. But taking objectives still contributes to the victory.

If you have 2 groups, and one keeps the enemy force occupied whilst another sneaks a tower in another location then both have contributed towards your team, and both got rewarded (Obj event, and loot/kill xp). If ‘realm’ ranks or whatever you wish to call them come from kills and only kills, then what does the group doing the equally (or some could argue more) important job get?

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Distaste.4801

Another thought as to why I would prefer it to not be based off kills, is that WvW scoring and winning is about objective’s. Wiping the enemy is simply a means to an end, something you must do to ensure your safety. But taking objectives still contributes to the victory.

If you have 2 groups, and one keeps the enemy force occupied whilst another sneaks a tower in another location then both have contributed towards your team, and both got rewarded (Obj event, and loot/kill xp). If ‘realm’ ranks or whatever you wish to call them come from kills and only kills, then what does the group doing the equally (or some could argue more) important job get?

Then what does the group holding off the enemy get? They did the more important job of keeping the enemies away. Taking an undefended keep is absolute cake.

Scenario 2: A group takes a keep and leaves it undefended because it is far more lucrative to retake it once the enemy caps it. Thus starts an era of objective swapping which has been seen and proven in both WAR and SWTOR.

Basing it on kills at the very least eliminates objective trading and earning ranks by purely doing PvD. It isn’t a perfect system but it is by far the lesser of two evils. I really don’t want to log in to hear “They just finished capping our borderland and are moving to the next one, time to recap!”

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

I’m just glad they are updating maps to keep things fresh/interesting and putting such a strong focus on fixing bugs/exploits…..oh wait they are not.

Overall I would say they whole thing is rather disappointing (not just wvw) from the stand point of this being the next six months (thats it really?). But I kind of expected this already so not really disappointed.

I don’t really see any of this keeping the game from dieing like it has been, but oh well other games are coming out soon. And for Colin we all appreciate a couple of pages of investor bs/pr spin/useless hype.

i dont really understand everyones QQ about the maps but i guess good luck??
WvW is about killing each other not having new maps to kill each other in..
DAOC had the same kitten maps for years and when they changed to the “new frontiers” the new maps had a HUGE backlash and thousands left the game.

new age MMO players playing a WvWvW game are wierd yo.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::: i do agree that maps could be a little more spread out tho… everything is a little to close. but meh

The maps in DAoC were MUCH larger and we had 3 distinctive ones as opposed to 2. Size is not an issue (so much), but it did have 3 different ones. New Frontiers sucked, yes.

I really hope they will at some point give the 3 Borderlands a unique feel. A jungle look and a desert look (when Crystal Desert is released for the expansion) would be awesome.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: nekos.2584

nekos.2584

Paid server transfer is a really bad idea. Why should we have to pay because Anet overlooked an obvious flaw in their game ? I’m new to the game and i picked my server because i thought it would have a good WvW population. Why should i / people new to the game be punished or have to pay to transfer because we have absolutely no way of knowing what servers are active WvW servers other than some ones " opinion " on a random forum ? This game will go into the garbage bin if they implement paid server transfers. Allow free transfers once every 30 days but don’t force us to pay $$$ for Anet’s mistake.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Basing it on kills at the very least eliminates objective trading and earning ranks by purely doing PvD. It isn’t a perfect system but it is by far the lesser of two evils. I really don’t want to log in to hear “They just finished capping our borderland and are moving to the next one, time to recap!”

I’ve been on a system that did this. Basing it off of kills will end up with people completely ignoring objectives and spending all of their time fighting each other in the open areas. Not the point of WvW, no matter how much some folks want it to be. WvW is about cap and hold. Cap should be rewarded. Hold should be more rewarded. Kills are irrelevant.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

This game map system is virtually a carbon copy of New frontiers in DAOC

the Side Maps are basically the Home Realms, while Eternal Battlegrounds is basically Agramon with a Keep in the middle vs a Mound of Dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

Then what does the group holding off the enemy get? They did the more important job of keeping the enemies away. Taking an undefended keep is absolute cake.

Scenario 2: A group takes a keep and leaves it undefended because it is far more lucrative to retake it once the enemy caps it. Thus starts an era of objective swapping which has been seen and proven in both WAR and SWTOR.

Not suggesting that objective’s be the only source of reward, just that it needs to be more than JUST kills. Kills promote personal glory, score promotes team glory.

I’d say tie it to server score so everything you do towards victory is worth it personally as well, and hope that it would encourage people to organise more. But sadly we all know it would promote server hopping.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: PredatoR.5247

PredatoR.5247

i want the title: Lord Marshal
100% HP buff 60% dmg to enemy servers 50% less dmg taken from enemy servers

thanks

Jericho The Usurper[Agg] – Aggression

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Ranks need to be gained from kills only

Taking camps, towers, garrisons, etc need to reward almost no rank points because then it rewards objective swapping

Couldn’t disagree with you more. All you are encouraging is everyone standing in a central location killing each other. Boring.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Paid server transfer is a really bad idea. Why should we have to pay because Anet overlooked an obvious flaw in their game ? I’m new to the game and i picked my server because i thought it would have a good WvW population. Why should i / people new to the game be punished or have to pay to transfer because we have absolutely no way of knowing what servers are active WvW servers other than some ones " opinion " on a random forum ? This game will go into the garbage bin if they implement paid server transfers. Allow free transfers once every 30 days but don’t force us to pay $$$ for Anet’s mistake.

I think the better solution is that everyone gets 1 free transfer and then after that you need to pay. That resolves the issue you mentioned and minimizes server jumpers.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Paid server transfer is a really bad idea. Why should we have to pay because Anet overlooked an obvious flaw in their game ? I’m new to the game and i picked my server because i thought it would have a good WvW population. Why should i / people new to the game be punished or have to pay to transfer because we have absolutely no way of knowing what servers are active WvW servers other than some ones " opinion " on a random forum ?

Um, look at the tiers, servers in the tiers 1-3 all have good WvW populations.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Paid Transfers don’t fix Population problems on servers with uneven population distribution

It just creates stagnation in terms of Blue/Green/Red levels…In otherwords, Sure the green server has a ton of population and coverage, but now that everyone has transferred there they’ll remain in power cause no one is spending money to transfer to the blue/red servers

You’d need a system where Green Servers require a payment to transfer to them, while Blue/Red are free

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I am concerned about the impact to balance, particularly thief class balance. I hope that there are no additional stealth abililities being added. It’s enough of a problem as it is.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

No mention of new maps

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

Wasn’t this hyped as being a ‘whole expansions worth of content’. Is that what you really see here? What kind of crappy expansion has only this? Would you pay for it, I sure wouldn’t.

From what this all looks like to me is basically stuff that should have been in the game at release already and some of it was advertised as being in the game as well (again not just wvw).

For everyone thrilled about this, keep in mind this is ‘the wvw update’ meaning we probably will not get another one (or big one) for 6-12 months. This is really enough to keep it fun/interesting for that long? Some titles, some ‘abilities’ and something to finally spend those badges on, thats enough to cover up issues like exploits, bugs, tier stagnation, UI needs, no new maps, no new siege, population imbalances, zerg issues, aoe caps, commander issues, downed state, profession imbalances, money sink, any keep/tower/camp customization, no new upgrades to puchase, etc.?

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: nekos.2584

nekos.2584

Paid server transfer is a really bad idea. Why should we have to pay because Anet overlooked an obvious flaw in their game ? I’m new to the game and i picked my server because i thought it would have a good WvW population. Why should i / people new to the game be punished or have to pay to transfer because we have absolutely no way of knowing what servers are active WvW servers other than some ones " opinion " on a random forum ?

Um, look at the tiers, servers in the tiers 1-3 all have good WvW populations.

I don’t want to be on a top tier server. I just want to be on a server with an active WvW population… How exactly how would i know what server that may be unless i can try a few out ? Oh ya, go to the forums and get some ones “opinion”. That’s what i did when i went to AR and while every one on that server is great and there are some people in WvW it’s not to many. We should not have to pay because of bad game design / over looked problems.

I know there is a problem with guilds transferring to lower tiers but forcing those who are not the problem to pay for the actions of a few is not the right way to do things and will guarantee i stop playing and never spend a dime in the cash shop. They could make you start over if you want to transfer servers, I think that would actually be even more effective than making people pay to transfer.

Either way paid server transfer is a cop out and nothing more than a way to force people to put up more $$$. It’s not going to stop the problem because $5 -$10 every week or couple weeks to transfer is not enough to discourage the problem guilds from doing exactly what they are doing now.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Samhayn.2385

I am concerned about the impact to balance, particularly thief class balance. I hope that there are no additional stealth abililities being added. It’s enough of a problem as it is.

I think everyone knows how you feel about stealth. I also think this is being addressed by culling fixes. We also need to wait and see in detail what these abilities are going to be.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

Old schoolers from DAOC, the root of the problem here is that the “PvP” culture has vastly changed since our REAL days of open. EZ mode has been introduced, objective swapping has been introduced, “Everyone’s equal” has been introduced. Good news from reading these forums, is there are still alot of 8maners we see out speaking up. THANK GOD!

Wvdoor should not allow your character to become better at killing other players AT ALL! It should have value, i dont disagree there. Strategy, rewards even I agree. But the fact that someone could “earn” a better ability to nuke or aoe someone down, or even heal better in a fight simply by farming keeps or objectives is the “NEW PvP era of pvper’s mentality”. DAOC had its issues. Wasnt pefect, but when it came to pvp….it required real skill, real wit, real teamwork or you and your guild literally got laughed out of YOUR OWN server. This carebear- “everyone should be able to kill everyone” mentality is from gamemakers wanting 12 yr olds to be able to compete with competent, mature, experienced gamers. Simply to keep sales up. This is the closest a game has come to old school days in DAOC. I hope enough of us speak up and they learn that the demand is still out there although fewer than the carebears, it still exists.

PAXA -GM

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Distaste.4801

I’ve been on a system that did this. Basing it off of kills will end up with people completely ignoring objectives and spending all of their time fighting each other in the open areas. Not the point of WvW, no matter how much some folks want it to be. WvW is about cap and hold. Cap should be rewarded. Hold should be more rewarded. Kills are irrelevant.

And now you’re rewarding the players that all bandwagon on to winning servers. Rewarding caps will again only foster objective trading. Rewarding holding only rewards the server with the higher population that can camp the other servers at their spawn. At least with kills the lower population has a good chance at a fair amount of rank points, with your system they might as well quit.

I think you’ll find that rewarding kills will not take away from the current battles. Heck in VWoW AV 1.0 the major rewards were from kills and those battles were fought tooth and nail for up to 24 hrs. Once the major reward was move to winning/losing the battles devolved into races to the end. Rewarding for objectives is bad, it’s been proven time and time again. I’d gladly take perpetual killing fields over objective trading any day. At least the killing fields feel like a battle.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Ranking is a reflection of active population especially 24/7 population.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Samhayn.2385

The problems I have seen in the past with gaining rank thru objective capping is people stop attacking defended keeps. Taking defended location is hard and slows gains so people don’t do it and that then devolves into objective swapping.

Well gaining thru kills means people do defend and attack since its a good way to get kills if you defending or to draw people out if your attacking.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Columba.9730

I think everyone knows how you feel about stealth. I also think this is being addressed by culling fixes. We also need to wait and see in detail what these abilities are going to be.

I’d fix culling before Introducing any new abilities for thieves.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Furgerat.7842

Furgerat.7842

holy god people MORE QUOTES FROM MY POSTS and not all this small stuff..

Bring back a DAOC STYLE WvW progression SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also 1 free Xfer once paid transfers go into play…

Fix culling, eliminate rally and DPS in the downed state.

tyvm

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Old schoolers from DAOC, the root of the problem here is that the “PvP” culture has vastly changed since our REAL days of open. EZ mode has been introduced, objective swapping has been introduced, “Everyone’s equal” has been introduced. Good news from reading these forums, is there are still alot of 8maners we see out speaking up. THANK GOD!

Wvdoor should not allow your character to become better at killing other players AT ALL! It should have value, i dont disagree there. Strategy, rewards even I agree. But the fact that someone could “earn” a better ability to nuke or aoe someone down, or even heal better in a fight simply by farming keeps or objectives is the “NEW PvP era of pvper’s mentality”. DAOC had its issues. Wasnt pefect, but when it came to pvp….it required real skill, real wit, real teamwork or you and your guild literally got laughed out of YOUR OWN server. This carebear- “everyone should be able to kill everyone” mentality is from gamemakers wanting 12 yr olds to be able to compete with competent, mature, experienced gamers. Simply to keep sales up. This is the closest a game has come to old school days in DAOC. I hope enough of us speak up and they learn that the demand is still out there although fewer than the carebears, it still exists.

this guy is awesome!!

nuff said

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Dude i hate to be captain obvious here but think about your question lol.

Theifs arent going to get another stealth……………………………..

:)

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Edragor.9164

Edragor.9164

The problems I have seen in the past with gaining rank thru objective capping is people stop attacking defended keeps. Taking defended location is hard and slows gains so people don’t do it and that then devolves into objective swapping.

Well gaining thru kills means people do defend and attack since its a good way to get kills if you defending or to draw people out if your attacking.

Totally agree.
While Capping should be rewarded, some shouldnt forget its already a reward in itself obtaining a fortified structure, fortifying the whole thing, the potential to gain WvW server points and attracting the enemy…
→ which might/will result in good rewards for the battles happening around/for it.

Thats why killing players, defending and holding an objective should be more rewarding.

But maybe upscale rewards the longer an objective didnt switched sides for both defenders and attackers?
This way good defended points will rise in interest.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Totally agree.
While Capping should be rewarded, some shouldnt forget its already a reward in itself obtaining a fortified structure, fortifying the whole thing, the potential to gain WvW server points and attracting the enemy…
-> which might/will result in good rewards for the battles happening around/for it.

Thats why killing players, defending and holding an objective should be more rewarding.

But maybe upscale rewards the longer an objective didnt switched sides for both defenders and attackers?
This way good defended points will rise in interest.

YA but in this scenario the end result will be turtling…….. Why attack when i get nothing when i can defend and gets lots even if i have to wait.. end result you have large amounts of defenders sitting in towers not doing anything…. stalemate ftl. Only reward for player kills… If red attacks blue and blue defends theres kills from both sides and rewards.. red wins fight they get kills and get rewarded.. blue wins they get kills and get rewarded..

SOMEONE PUT ME IN CHARGE kitten :P

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses

Oh dear.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Columba.9730

What’s your point? There’s nothing obvious about what skills they may add. My point is that they should not make the current thief balance issues worse with these rewards.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

got this game hoping it would be similar to DAOC. played DAOC for years before getting tired of it. played GW2 for 4 months and i’m almost done with wvw. not nearly as exciting. personally can’t stand how small they made the maps. it shouldn’t taken 15 seconds to run from objective to objective

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Thresher.3049

Thresher.3049

I’d be happy if even half that stuff gets done- especially the culling!

Pinot Noir (Necromancer) Pinot Blanc (Warrior)
KnT Blackgate

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

What’s your point? There’s nothing obvious about what skills they may add. My point is that they should not make the current thief balance issues worse with these rewards.

this isnt a class QQ thread good lord GTFO………….

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Columba.9730

Stealth refers to a skill for more than one class.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Stealth refers to a skill for more than one class.

lol QQQQQQ move on buddy,,

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

And now you’re rewarding the players that all bandwagon on to winning servers. Rewarding caps will again only foster objective trading. Rewarding holding only rewards the server with the higher population that can camp the other servers at their spawn. At least with kills the lower population has a good chance at a fair amount of rank points, with your system they might as well quit.

I think you’ll find that rewarding kills will not take away from the current battles. Heck in VWoW AV 1.0 the major rewards were from kills and those battles were fought tooth and nail for up to 24 hrs. Once the major reward was move to winning/losing the battles devolved into races to the end. Rewarding for objectives is bad, it’s been proven time and time again. I’d gladly take perpetual killing fields over objective trading any day. At least the killing fields feel like a battle.

I’ve played a system that rewards exactly the way you say you want, in Lotro. Rewards came from kills, rather than from objectives. Here is what you get in Lotro:

Zerg-balls as big as you can make them so that everyone feels safe.
The side with the lowest numbers gives up and quits, because they’re getting farmed by the side with the highest numbers.
Objectives ignored.
Objectives being given to the other side, just so they’ll stay out and can be fought.
Fight clubbing and dueling rings.

None of these things would make WvW any better. Kills has been proven to be a terrible thing to use if you want any kind of strategy beyond single-player ego. That’s why there are no deathmatch modes in GW2. Sadly, there are players that refuse to recognize this and go into sPvP and WvW thinking it’s all about them getting kills, when often that is the least helpful thing they could be doing to help their team.

In the end, I think we’re likely both wrong and ANet will choose a third option that is more suited to the design of WvW and is directly tied towards your contribution to your server’s success, without silly exploints like objective swapping.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

“WvW-only” abilities concern me. Add power here and you run off the newbies/casuals. Add fun thingies (rank emotes, exclusive minies/armor skins etc.) and it’s awesome.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

He said something about a blog on gw2 page… where is it? the link

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: lcc.9374

lcc.9374

I guess basing ranks through kills would be the lesser of 2 evils

Basing it off objectives would make it really bad on the losing server. Seen quite a bit of 12hour 600/30/30 matches these few weeks. Arent pretty.
And whats the chance of the winning side to actually give up their possesions anyway? Id bet it wont happen.

On the other hand though. If it was based off kills. Me as a guardian would most likely look at the staff elementalist tagging everyone and curse my class.
But i guess i could live with that.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Attic.1562

Attic.1562

I guess basing ranks through kills would be the lesser of 2 evils

Basing it off objectives would make it really bad on the losing server. Seen quite a bit of 12hour 600/30/30 matches these few weeks. Arent pretty.
And whats the chance of the winning side to actually give up their possesions anyway? Id bet it wont happen.

On the other hand though. If it was based off kills. Me as a guardian would most likely look at the staff elementalist tagging everyone and curse my class.
But i guess i could live with that.

An interesting idea would be to tie the majority of rank advancement to a WvW daily and then give only small amounts for kills/caps/whatever.

It’d also be kinda cool if they revamped the badge system so that you effectively bought ranks and perks (like being able to buy exotic sets with karma like in Orr or additional supply carrying capacity) with badges.

Hell, combine the two ideas together and have the WvW daily give like 50 badges.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Basedgod.7328

Basedgod.7328

One simple thing I’d like to see is a separate category for Daily/Monthly WvW achievements that give you badges, silver, blueprints (or even an instant repair canister) for completing them. 3 camps/3 yaks, 5-10 kills, 3 sentries and a tower/keep/castle take

It just gives a more reliable avenue to attain badges of jumping Honor from actually participating in WvW instead of just asking for a Mesmer port in the JP.

I’d even trade the ability to not be able to gather, do our kill varieties achievements etc. in WvW for such system. I’d even be happy if they kept the WvW loot the way as it was provided they implement such system.

Funniest Ele NA
[coVn] Witches I Chaotic Good
Fort Aspenwood

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

There is already a dedicated sticky here : Colin Johanson Video: GW2 2013 Preview, where you can post all your questions & concerns regarding this announcement.

Therefore this thread is now closed to avoid duplicates.