Creating a ruthlessly organised server

in WvW

Posted by: jonnis.2946

jonnis.2946

I’ve been wondering for some time now if there are any servers that have really taken organisation to the next level. My idea of it is something like as follows:

1. Leader Guilds for each BG
This is the guild commanders would permanently represent, allowing for fast communication between everyone on the map

2 Small to medium sized groups
No group would be larger than around 20 members, allowing offence on many objectives at once. To counteract zergs, the commanders of these groups would come together. This could even go further, with groups of 20 have pre selected splits of 5s or 10s to take smaller objectives

3. Organised defence
Scouting, roaming and defending would all become part of the same parcel, and would be organised by 2 or 3 different guilds on each server. Every offensive group would also be expected to know how to defend using siege placed by these guys

4. Rotas
You’d have certain times in the day where you’d be expected to play. This doesn’t just mean a well established night and low peak daytime crew, but also set guilds in the evenings

From my perspective, if someone could get the people together for this kind of operation, move to the lowest tier server to learn the ropes, and organise it well enough they would eventually completely dominate the highest tier of WvW

Thoughts? Am I over simplifying it? Is the only reason this hasn’t been done because of the effort it would take?

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Couple years late? ppt is dying game mode except for few servers or for staying in relevant tiers.

PPT should be byproduct of fights/stomps & not the main objective…

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

There’s a group that hates PPT and tries to make it seem like they’re everyone, but in the end, it seems like more people care about it than don’t, at least on the higher tier servers.

There are set-ups similar to these on my server, though not so extreme, so the organized is definitely there. It’s just not ruthless, because that cuts into the fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

only one server fits that description

Blackgate NA Tier 1 during seasons

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Zaruna.3812

Zaruna.3812

PPT, bleh. It’s hard to care for when the only difference is 1 – 2 – 3 bonus chests. I mean, first place = an extra 60ish silver after 3 rank ups ( 6 blue or greens ), last place is an extra 20ish silver for the first rank up with 2 blues or greens. It’s just not rewarding. Guilds doing GvG got the only interest in being in a server with a certain ranking.

There are some servers that got meetings to try and better organize for this, and at some points they do, but in the end they all notice it’s just not worth it and go back to slacking after 1-2 months.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

The only situation where such organization would be of actual value is in a WvWvW game mode where all three servers had equal population and coverage.

You could have the best organization in the world and still be beat because you wouldn’t be following the underlying mathematical formula of the scoring system: PPT = population + coverage.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Organization can make up for a minor population imbalance, which can turn tides. Coverage is a bigger problem, though.

in WvW

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

The amount of people that know how to command well is limited. In the end it would just result in burnt out commanders fighting a losing battle.

Bad Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Organization can make up for a minor population imbalance, which can turn tides. Coverage is a bigger problem, though.

That’s true, until your opponent creates a larger population and coverage imbalance, teaching you the folly of playing that way.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

only one server fits that description

Blackgate NA Tier 1 during seasons

Probably this. They’re even working on an app to help organize raids or smt like that.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I’m on BG and I don’t know who wins on a weekly basis. PPT just seems like a boring chore to me since its so PvDoor heavy.

• Split off and PvDoor empty objectives? Boring.
  • Dealing or taking siege spam for half an hour? Gets old fast and its been 2 years.
  • Capped a waypointed keep? Collect your kitteny loot and move along. Enemy PvDoors it back in minutes.
  • Babysitting upgrading structures? Not on your life.
Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: requiem.5279

requiem.5279

Couple years late? ppt is dying game mode except for few servers or for staying in relevant tiers.

24/7 open world deathmatch is far from being the solution for WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Been there, done that, not worth it.

Sucks most of the fun out of WvW and even though you’ll win matches (provided you have enough coverage), it takes a lot of work from a very few people, resulting in those few people burning out very quickly.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Sviel.7493

That’s true, until your opponent creates a larger population and coverage imbalance, teaching you the folly of playing that way.

That’s not too easy to do, though.

Also, when I think of PPT, I think of fighting for structures, fighting to keep supply lines open, fighting to defend something while outnumbered because the bulk of the forces are on offense somewhere…things like that. I can’t stand just running around sieging empty buildings…that’s why I’m never in eotm.

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

You aren’t playing a competitive game. The only time playing to win matters in WvW is in fights, not PPT.

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

24/7 open world deathmatch is far from being the solution for WvW.

Actually i know a fair share of people that want exactly that. Sadly WildStar dropped it with multiple bad design decisions.

in WvW

Posted by: SneakyLemon.8461

SneakyLemon.8461

have to disagree strongly with this.

wvw is like an RTS where the player is like an individual unit. fights come from taking objectives. ive been on dragonbrand since i started years ago and have seen the efforts of the server leaders who brought in guilds for coverage and helped train the pugs/militia.

ppt is not a dying game mode, its the core of wvw. if you want an open world death match with no objective and mindless play, go somewhere else.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

if you want an open world death match with no objective and mindless play, go somewhere else.

… like the Obsidian Sanctum

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: KittyCat.2059

KittyCat.2059

Wvw is meant to be organized and fun and have different ojectives to capture and be competitive which is why they have the ppt not just one big zerg fight another. However, T1 has been ruined by BG and JQ because they are so desperate to have first BG sent over guilds to JQ and now they swap winnings weekly and 2 v1 vs TC all of the time daily.

They claim they want competitive fights and balance but by BG sending guilds to a supposedly competitive server JQ to save JQ from falling out of T1 does not make it so . It’s plainly obvious they have deals and alliances now which made the whole reason of T1 existing become a big Joke.

They claim they are good and fight competitive and want GVG blah blah, they belong on a lower tier and should go in obsidian sanctum.

(edited by KittyCat.2059)

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

BG sent over guilds to JQ and now they swap winnings weekly and 2 v1 vs TC all of the time daily.

The only guild that did this was [TW]; they went from Blackgate to Jade Quarry. Are you saying guilds aren’t allowed to move to the servers that best suit them? They found more enemies to fight while being on JQ. This might come as a surprise to you, but other guilds aren’t there to please you – especially enemy ones.

in WvW

KittyCat.2059

BG sent over guilds to JQ and now they swap winnings weekly and 2 v1 vs TC all of the time daily.

The only guild that did this was [TW]; they went from Blackgate to Jade Quarry. Are you saying guilds aren’t allowed to move to the servers that best suit them? They found more enemies to fight while being on JQ. This might come as a surprise to you, but other guilds aren’t there to please you – especially enemy ones.

They don’t fight each other much at all. Conveniently end up at the same time at TC Keeps, at TC Garri and at TC camps etc. constantly helping push each other for their win. swapping wins weekly. even teams of 5 roamers are made up of a mix of jq/bg. there are some that play they way they should and fight competitively for their server but more do not. TW and TWL fight side by side and do not touch each other.

in WvW

Posted by: requiem.5279

requiem.5279

Actually i know a fair share of people that want exactly that. Sadly WildStar dropped it with multiple bad design decisions.

If they make changes based on “a fair share” what we are seeing now is going to happen all over again.

in WvW

KittyCat.2059

One of the issues is the trading wins bit. Defeats the purpose of having a Tier 1 to begin with. There can be some competition if two smaller servers join forces to even the odds against a dominate server. However, there’s no real counter play to the strategy when two top tier WvW servers join forces to take down another server which is the issue. . The awesome Commander Siegecrusher NPC a server gets when you fall behind can only help so much. The only way at the moment is to figure out a strategy to fight an overwhelming 2v1.

This also doesn’t help the servers just below either. Since pushing a T1 server to go T2 will end up decimating the 5th and 6th placed servers (as far as I can see), it doesn’t give them a chance to get 4th place.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

As i see it, the main problem with creating a ruthlessly organized server is the coverage.

You’ll need to have players to take over when your American players stop. They need to agree that your vision of gameplay is correct as well, and respect the decisions of the battlegroup leader.

There is also the inflexibility of the system you’ve proposed. You include language like “You would be expected to play”. Victory in WvW is absolutely pointless, and you’re walking the fine line of work/play. If you have population than this “You’d be expected to play” language is irrelevant, because you have a healthy community with people playing and doing things because they want to, not because they must, or it wont happen at all.

What you’ve described really does sound like T1 during seasons. They are VERY organized.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

have to disagree strongly with this.

wvw is like an RTS where the player is like an individual unit. fights come from taking objectives. ive been on dragonbrand since i started years ago and have seen the efforts of the server leaders who brought in guilds for coverage and helped train the pugs/militia.

ppt is not a dying game mode, its the core of wvw. if you want an open world death match with no objective and mindless play, go somewhere else.

“ppt is not a dying game mode, its the core of wvw. "

Some logic issues there. PPT might be at the core of WvWvW but that doesn’t mean it’s flaws aren’t turning people away since its the bigger server that wins.

Also I would hold off of likening WvWvW players to units in an RTS. There are real people behind those characters who have free will and different reasons for being on the map.

P.S I’ve fought DB’s night crew and they were some of the easiest bags I’ve gotten ever but they consistently won the week because they would take and hold empty structures. So much for all this prep work and training you’re going on about. Its coverage and that’s it.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Windsteel.9814

Windsteel.9814

PPT is all that matters. Until wvw mechanics are changed to something else. Then something else matters. Hah! I’m drunk btw.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

They don’t fight each other much at all. Conveniently end up at the same time at TC Keeps, at TC Garri and at TC camps etc. constantly helping push each other for their win. swapping wins weekly. even teams of 5 roamers are made up of a mix of jq/bg. there are some that play they way they should and fight competitively for their server but more do not. TW and TWL fight side by side and do not touch each other.

Considering TWL is also on JQ, and TW is on JQ you’re right they don’t fight each other… Both on JQ.

Now as for their members on JQ vs BG, they do fight. In fact Ive seen both servers have the guilds pinned up trying to kill one another. (I’d say that is fighting.)

As far as 2v1 goes, welcome to wvw. All servers do it during a day and weekly. Just depends what time you play as to who is being 2v1’d at the time.
Should we go into a who 2v1’s more often QQ fest? Cause if so take a look at the SEA to EU time slot.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

There are people who play for score, and typically their skill-level is what you would expect of someone who takes credit for what a team made up of hundreds of people accomplish over the course of a week.

It is the metric that determines victory, and that should not be ignored. However, true victory is when you and your guild/zerg/friends set a goal and achieve it.

You decide you want to hold a tower against vastly superior numbers; that matters more than score. You want to beat a numerically superior force in open field, that’s a great goal that has little to do with the score.

Perhaps you want to take a key enemy objective and force them to queue a map in order to lodge you out. It’s a little bit trolly, but it’s also a goal.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Adding to the above … you want to break an enemy waypoint … is a tough goal but rewarding. Most don’t care to hold and defend it for a tick, rather just break the waypoint.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$