Culling seems worse?

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Prior to patch, culling issues usually involved you could see both groups of players in a fight, but there’d be 1-2 people loading in that were invisible and doing damage to you, thieves in particular were noted to be invisible attackers due to needing to re-render after every time they stealthed.

Now, you’ll be fighting a small group battle, looking around, there’s maybe 5-6 people each side then suddenly you’re standing in the middle of 3 dozen people and you’re near dead. You didn’t see the group running toward you, you didn’t see anything, they’re just suddenly there beating on you. This happens all the time just constantly. Instead of players loading in one by 1 they apparently load in all at once but only at a bare minimum distance when there’s no way to get out.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

time to practise mass invi zerg rush….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Yep I meet something similar yesterday. We tried to cap Hills. Broke inner gate and on the bridge we were suprised by defenders in lords room. Before they were not there. Even balistas werent visible from the bridge. When we died on bridge and ally players started to waypoint to citadel, enemy zerg even balistas started to apper. First there was only some few defenders, but as every ally ported,i waited there and finally saw zerg of RoS with balistas.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: xKedge.5493

xKedge.5493

people also start using mesmer veil on big group fights and portal.. but portals are like 2012.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Oh what i did not say, i did not see any preloaded charachter. It looks like those fallback models did not work. Maybe I just dont know how they should look, but i did not see enemy, they i saw him,but no fallback model. I looked on recorded video if i am right. And yes, no fallback model.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Oh what i did not say, i did not see any preloaded charachter. It looks like those fallback models did not work. Maybe I just dont know how they should look, but i did not see enemy, they i saw him,but no fallback model. I looked on recorded video if i am right. And yes, no fallback model.

Fallback models will only kick in if you’re pc doesn’t have enough resources available to render all things reported to your client (eg if you have a low end or old pc) which is a local issue, not serverside culling.
So this doesn’t affect the culling issue directly. It got implemented because a lot of the issues reported by players with this new culling type during the test in december actually weren’t culling related but rendering related.
For me personally it improved, I have far less often that I don’t see any enemies at all and suddenly a large group is there, now I typically see a few of them and the rest later.
I rather see some of them instead of none, so I know to hang back for a few more seconds because most likely there’ll be a lot more of them.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

There was quite a bit of reports on how this system was worse when it was tested in DEC. ANet implemented it anyway after silently removing the discussion about it.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Before patch you had trouble seeing opponents when you are in a zerg of friendly players. Not nice but somehow understandable.

But now you do not see enemies any more when you are alone!

In one second you are totally alone and in the next second you are dead surrounded by an enemy zerg. This is really bad!!

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

You should have voiced your opinion in the discussion thread prior to the implementation.

Oh wait, who am I kidding? It’s not like Arena Net listens to feedback anyway LOL.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

You should have voiced your opinion in the discussion thread prior to the implementation.

Oh wait, who am I kidding? It’s not like Arena Net listens to feedback anyway LOL.

I didn’t do wvw during that time, I only rarely do wvw BECAUSE of culling issues, and the fact that deaths cost money in wvw. If you’re on a losing server, and getting ganked by invisible people and it’s costing you, wvw loses a lot of its potential fun.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

Culling is now awful as reported in december.

If you like it I’d imagine you are an incredibly small group. anyone trying to coordinate with 15 peopl against larger enemy forces must have experienced how utterly terrible it is in its current form.

there was a post the other day where I tallied up all the responses on dec culling and it was completely and utterly hated by the community. I didn’t even get to finish counting all the negative feedback there was so much in the more positive thread there wasn’t no where near as many posts.

it needs to be reverted back until its better.

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Jarul.8635

Jarul.8635

Yes, culling seems worse

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Kelo.4370

Kelo.4370

None of you here must play in Tier 1 or even Tier 2? The culling system now is vastly better than anything they have had period. When my team of 40+ is fighting against another team of 60+ I can give a kitten about seeing my own team, we all know where we are and the commander tag is visible even when culled so we know where to be even if our entire zerg is culled. What is important is that no longer am I fighting against a giant army of nothing but now I can actually see a good portion if not all of the enemy players which is soo incredibly important in any sort of PvP situation that nothing else should ever come before it.

This culling system is amazing and WvW is playable again. I look forward to the day when it can be removed completely but as it stands now this current system is 1000x better than the crap we had before. Now we can actually strategy and move troops in the field instead of just swing and nothing and pray that you get numbers.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

None of you here must play in Tier 1 or even Tier 2? The culling system now is vastly better than anything they have had period. When my team of 40+ is fighting against another team of 60+ I can give a kitten about seeing my own team, we all know where we are and the commander tag is visible even when culled so we know where to be even if our entire zerg is culled. What is important is that no longer am I fighting against a giant army of nothing but now I can actually see a good portion if not all of the enemy players which is soo incredibly important in any sort of PvP situation that nothing else should ever come before it.

This culling system is amazing and WvW is playable again. I look forward to the day when it can be removed completely but as it stands now this current system is 1000x better than the crap we had before. Now we can actually strategy and move troops in the field instead of just swing and nothing and pray that you get numbers.

we’re playing with 15-25 people so when we lose site of our members mid fight it counts, we also fight 60+ numbers but we need to know where everyone is movement and coordination count for something. our downing team needs to know where the regroup is, commander icon or not you need to see your allies. in regards to enemies under the new system, 60 people are instantly appearing on top of us, previously we could see 10 coming, now nothing. we even have members reporting seeing 3 people per fight under the new system when there are about 80 people present.

our opponents borderlands are full ares are full this isn’t a T1 to T3 difference this is the fact that this is rubbish and another implementation that promotes just mashing together as many players as possible and smashing into each other with little care.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Well for some it seems better and for others worse! For me it is 10 times worse than before and WvW is all i play atm so i guess i will soon be shelving GW2 because i am tired of the game getting worse patch after patch instead of better.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/January-WvW-culling-loading-changes/page/4#post1303220

this post was going on before this was implemented on this page I’ve linked the feedback threads from december, there is one positive one for dec culling and one negative one. the negative one has countless more replies that are a lot more numerous in how negative they are.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: TheFug.5278

TheFug.5278

1000X better here. The only people coming here are those who are complaining – the rest of us are too busy playing.

[KH] Kwisatz Haderach

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

its better, last time whingers got this reverted DO NOT let it happen again

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

The only people saying culling is better, are those that run in the mindless 15+ groups. Anet will lose all the small man /solo / skilled based pvpers just like the past 6-7 years of “pvpers mmos” if they don’t fix culling, aoe cap, and downed state. Period. Read the forums. Small manners say terrible … Zergers say perfect.

PAXA -GM

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kelo.4370

I really hope ANet doesn’t yet again listen to the rabble and revert culling back to the travesty it was before. WvW in this game is soo vastly better than it has been since launch. I am begging everyone at ANet to not listen to complainers like these who will never be happy with anything and just leave it the way it is till you are able to fix it completely.

The entire guild of Strike Force (Jade Quarry) loves culling the way it is right now, please don’t re-ruin WvW for us.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

yeah now you just can’t tell if the pugs are still with you or whether they have run off, they keep blinking in and out. The trial was heavily criticized when it was trialed several weeks back and now that its back its just as annoying.
To follow a commander now I have to constantly watch my mini-map because s/he keep disappearing and reappearing in the zerg, I never know if I missed a call to WP or its just culling.
Went to garrison the other day, no one there but myself, needed to make some superior siege, realized I hadn’t gotten mats out of the bank for it, went looking for the golem banker and he wasn’t there. Walked around lords room for 90 seconds until culling decided to make him appear.

Great job anet, just wonderful. /sarcasm

AR

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

Considering that Anet has said they don’t like zerging and are looking for ways to reduce it, it seems silly that culling is now hurting smaller groups instead of the zergs. Hopefully Anet can find a mutually beneficial solution, at lest until they make zerging obsolete (if that’s even possible).

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

well I’ll say my final piece on the matter.

I’m currently listening into my guilds TS sicneI’m que’d and reading the guild chat.

its full of : we can’t see you, people are dissapearing.
where were you all.

its a guilds opinion that its damaging playing as a team.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kelo.4370

Considering that Anet has said they don’t like zerging and are looking for ways to reduce it, it seems silly that culling is now hurting smaller groups instead of the zergs. Hopefully Anet can find a mutually beneficial solution, at lest until they make zerging obsolete (if that’s even possible).

I don’t see what the problem is, when you are in a smaller group fighting other smaller groups there is no culling at all. There is only culling when you come up against a 40+ player zerg ball, and at that point you are all going to normally get steamrolled anyway.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

I don’t see what the problem is, when you are in a smaller group fighting other smaller groups there is no culling at all. There is only culling when you come up against a 40+ player zerg ball, and at that point you are all going to normally get steamrolled anyway.

hardly

40+ is standard for wvw groups, coming up against 60-80 is the challenge unless there is a guild group with extra numbers.

a dedicated wvw guild either wants to face like for like guilds or ridiculous numbers. 20 man guilds that can beat zergs are key to not trivialising wvw. if arena net supports that format then it will allow friendlies who flock together into large zergs an easier path into organised wvw but due to the lack of small group support and design it leads to zergs which are detrimental to quality wvw.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kelo.4370

Then what do you suggest, we go back to fighting against a massive perma-invisible army that only renders after you are all dead? How is that even remotely better? At least as it stands now both sides can see who they are fighting. Again, seeing your enemy is more important than seeing your allies.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Brizlyn.8945

Brizlyn.8945

Culling is far better now than before patch.

I am loving the change!!!!

-Briz

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: muylaetrix.2096

muylaetrix.2096

i don’t expect culling to improve in a meaningfull way untill the shiny hardware upgrades Habib mentioned earlier are in place and the ‘magic number’ can be increased without bringing the whole thing down.

Muylaetrex, going bananas with [TDA] on Gandara
Camping a keep near you since 2001 !

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I don’t know. I did the claw of jormag fight yesterday and the culling there was absolutely horrendous. Not only could I not see my fellow players but I couldn’t see any npcs either.

Not that that has anything to do with wv3 where the number of people present at any given moment can be higher or lower though. I still think it’s worse than before.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

Then what do you suggest, we go back to fighting against a massive perma-invisible army that only renders after you are all dead? How is that even remotely better? At least as it stands now both sides can see who they are fighting. Again, seeing your enemy is more important than seeing your allies.

we’re still getting that with this system. just at the expense of losing our allies and enemies at random.

previously we could always see a few people running in so we treated every fight like its 80 back off and let more and more of them become visible. also having high surivability and invunerability and stability across the mark. we’re essentially gearing to fight culling and it does work.

I guess some people like this but when we have to see our allies constantly and not have people dissapear its going to be detrimental to our playstyle. if people are happy seeing some people from both sides at random then fair enough be positive for the new system everyone is entitled to their opinion. mine is purely from a small- med wvw group perspective and i find it utterly broken for this playstyle which is a playstyle that I find worth promoting over larger groups of 60+ guilds or zergs.

anyway I’ve said my bit I’m positive it won’t change and we’ll just work with it and adjust our leading style to counter certain elements of it. just hoping the next changes are focused at enhancing the playstyle of smaller gorups.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Nauda.3678

Nauda.3678

This “new” culling is still as bad as it was in december. I can’t see my commander. I can’t the the golems that i shpuld protect. And i see fewer enemys than before. i prefer the “old” version. It’s also bad but not as bad as the “new” version.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

1000X better here. The only people coming here are those who are complaining – the rest of us are too busy playing.

This ^

This is also the reason the trial of this method received much negative feedback. The ones of us who it worked for were mostly playing, and it was so obviously better we felt no need to come to the forums to say what seemed obvious.

So, better for some and not others.

Result, culling still sucks, and should be removed entirely.

Guess what? That’s what they are working on!

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

This, I think its great, so much better than before. And I run in both zergs and solo, this has improved both.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: x Charlie.4820

x Charlie.4820

Yep, much worse.

Literally just die to a zerg before they even appear….
Can see why it benefits the guys who run in zergs, but seriously this is pretty bad for the rest of us.

Chazwyne, Necromancer <3
Smallscale <3 Vabbi
The Original Dudes [to]

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

I think it’s an improvement. I think the culling queue counts are still too low. And I don’t think I’ve seen any placeholder models, yet.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Lucky.3298

Lucky.3298

I think it about the same only now I pay more attention as now I know what is it. =D
when over(something) at area I stop seeing mobs/ppl next to me.

beside today I got many others strange issues I shared on tech section

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Demonbox.4703

Demonbox.4703

The ones of us who it worked for were mostly playing, and it was so obviously better we felt no need to come to the forums to say what seemed obvious.

Still you’re here on the forums, so not playing?
Meh you guys sometimes sound like 2years old kids, gonna adapt to it.
Looks like this fixed the culling for bigger server? fine!
On smaller ones is actually worse (at least that’s what i noticed), so am i allowed to make a post about it?
Oh btw this didn’t take much time , you know 2 mins, i was playin before and i will play after ;P

cya

Lidia Stoneheim [Warp]
Ring of Fire

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i can confirm it is definitely worse to the point where the big pack dolyak rendered on my screen only after i moved very close to it…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchmango.5690

Dutchmango.5690

render wars 2 gotta love it. man i wish they would have fully tested this game

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

There was quite a bit of reports on how this system was worse when it was tested in DEC. ANet implemented it anyway after silently removing the discussion about it.

I read along most of that thread as it updated. There were lots of negative comments, but far far far more positive ones.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

The only people saying culling is better, are those that run in the mindless 15+ groups. Anet will lose all the small man /solo / skilled based pvpers just like the past 6-7 years of “pvpers mmos” if they don’t fix culling, aoe cap, and downed state. Period. Read the forums. Small manners say terrible … Zergers say perfect.

15 players is nowhere near a Zerg, some of us enjoy playing in groups , 5-8 people is small scale. World vs world is not spvp you don’t like that some people have friends???

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Jarul.8635

Jarul.8635

Is it just me … or do most ppl on the US servers think it’s better, and most ppl on the EU servers find it worse?

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Hatchet.4513

Hatchet.4513

Culling was improved immediately after patch. However yesterday it was terrible??

Even with not that many people around very strange.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

I read along most of that thread as it updated. There were lots of negative comments, but far far far more positive ones.

just a heads up there were two threads based on feedback of that system. I counted them all their was about 20% positive feedback on dec culling 80% negative across both threads. so it was a majority negative feedback.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I noticed last night that when on a cannon I could see players but not which side they were on, even though they were in cannon range. It didn’t matter if there were 10-20 or if it was just one running by.

I also noticed that a lot of allies didn’t get rendered until they were much closer. Sometimes I’d see an ally just pop up on the screen at a distance of 1000-1500.

Would be nice to know before you jump into the fray whether you’re going to help a 15v20 or a 1v20.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

It was mainly negative feedback. Only at the end TL started spamming it with positive feedback for whatever reason.

The last couple of days I’ve been having a lot more culling issues, people disappearing randomly, zergs still popping up, …

It’s been nearly 6 months since launch. WvW hasn’t seen any real work and now we have arguably worse culling. I understand that this apparently seems to be an unsolvable issue for ANet but maybe it’s time to hire someone who has dealt with this before. Either way I hope the final improvement will be implemented soon as it’s really needed right now.

This is with GW2 on a SSD and a system with 16GB DDR3 ram, i7 Ivy Bridge processor and a fairly decent connection. I don’t even want to know what it’s like for people with a worse system. (Yes I’m aware culling is mainly a server side issue/system)

(edited by waeren.9743)

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Tammuz.7361

Tammuz.7361

culling is way worse, both waeren and I are both in Tier 1 this week.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Invisi enemy zerg…. I guess I’m used to it now, but that’s sad to become acclimatised to an inadequate system….

What throws me is that my allies render! The number of times I’ve seen someone pop in front of me which immediately puts me on the defensive because I assume its a thief. The old system was shocking, the new patch is a different dog with different fleas….

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Posted by: Heru.5427

Heru.5427

The new system definitely allow you to see enemies from further away from my experience. It doesn’t really seem to render more enemies though, so you are just as clueless to the actual size of the enemy as you were before. The cost of this “improvement” seems to be however that rendering of allies is much more “random”. The system might be rendering all your allies one second and the next 50% of them suddenly disappear. It also seems to dislike Golems, since I’ve been standing literally right next to some and they did not render.

Before the patch, our guild would deal with the issue of enemies not rendering by always assuming we were running into massive numbers. By the time we hit the first people many more had rendered in if they were there. This pretty much “solved the issue” to a certain extent. Guildies in our group not rendering rarely ever happened.

Since our play revolves around moving together, not being able to see half your group at times is quite detrimental to our teamplay. I can imagine that PuG groups of 30+ find this update beneficial though, since they don’t stay on top of their teammates, nor move around particularly much in cohesion, but rather play as a number of solo players working towards a common goal.

For reference, we run around 30 players in WvW most of the time.

Culling seems worse?

in WvW

Kyus.3812

Since our play revolves around moving together, not being able to see half your group at times is quite detrimental to our teamplay. I can imagine that PuG groups of 30+ find this update beneficial though, since they don’t stay on top of their teammates, nor move around particularly much in cohesion, but rather play as a number of solo players working towards a common goal.

For reference, we run around 30 players in WvW most of the time.

exactly this.

if you care about running any kind of tactics and not just balling up and spamming buttons running about the place its not a good fix.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade