Daoc Vs Gw2

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Iconix.9427

Iconix.9427

For the record, I played Dogskin the Armsman on Tristan, and Jay the Mercenary on Gareth. Same name after the merger, both toons.

/wave
Was Tolchuk the Thane(always shelved), Iconic the Spiritmaster, Vrykyl the Shadowblade and a few other characters in Jorumgand, Nordic Rage and Fat of the Land on Tristan

Vryk Tristanson – Necro[SE] – DH

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Dogskins.1259

Dogskins.1259

{Insert big block o’ text}

And as far as numbers of players rendered before culling goes,my memory of DAOC was of horrible crude graphics and the servers crashing in epic battles. This game has much higher graphical demands because the characters look a lot better. I like how they let you set your culling and graphic quality…it shows me the devs of this game really are trying to solve some of the more annoying aspects.

{Insert other big block o’ text}

Never forget the raid of Tristan from November 2003. over 4k confirmed people on the Alb Relic Keep…Tristan was out for 18 hours.

Anywho, ive had great fights here just like on DAOC and i certainly play the same way. I kind of feel like it gives me a better feel for this game.

Possum Jankins – Suicide Bomber Engineer [VLK] HoD /// [RoT] Yak’s Bend

Just look for the black bearded human.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

• AOE. I really hate the 5-target cap, it essentially rewards stupid play, and it makes siege weapons too good relative to players. I’d like to see it raised to 8 at least, if only for WVW.

Different games.

Without the cap, you’d instantly kill yourself to Retaliation. You can already almost insta-gib yourself, no cap and you really will insta-gib yourself.

If you want to break the AoE limit, then use the skills that already ignore it:

• Siege
  • Line spells
Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Dogskins.1259

Was Tolchuk the Thane(always shelved), Iconic the Spiritmaster, Vrykyl the Shadowblade and a few other characters in Jorumgand, Nordic Rage and Fat of the Land on Tristan

Man I remember running into your SM on my Minstrel more than once, and your SB quite a bit too.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

In terms of RvR /WvW people like myself who have played both games can make this statement

first daoc . 15 $ a month for rvr in the past pre toa expansion / ea mythic . the rvr for that game was . EPIC

second gw2. no monthly fee for wvw , monthly updates , changes / balances , the wvw for this game is . Carebear

im starting to think that in terms of how things turn out in the end are going to be the opposite but not in every aspect .

for starters . gw2 is not going to change their policy on a monthly fee i assume and as for daoc , they still do the monthly fee so that has not changed nor will it ever .

but here is where i ponder the subtle changes .

where as daocs rvr started out as great and became a flop later on. i look at gw2 wvw as a flop and will turn out great .

point 1.
6 or 7 months in no rank system for wvw gw2 but they finally put it in .
daoc always had a rank system but ruined the ability to increase at low levels later only to be max level to finally get ranked higher ( opposite)

point 2.
Daoc has a place called darkness falls where as players who gained control of the rvr map could then enter the zone to earn tokens to buy armor /weapons , but ruined it later with toa expansion .
it’s been rumored that gw2 might install a “darkness falls zone” to lessen up the que times for wvw and give reason for players an incentive to do wvw to get armor / weapons that would be the same as dungeon armor / weapons or possible precursors
(opposite)

point 3. in daoc the games rvr system was ruined when they combined servers together which allowed the " Xrealmer" to join what ever winning side they wished for rvr later on .
Gw2 early had some “Xrealmers” but then changed it so that for players to transfer servers , they had to pay in order to get on another server to experience the WvW content of that server . ( Opposite)

if things continue the way i see it .. we might be looking at a mmo that might become the late great daoc . that all depends on the staff of arena net for their hard work .

and in that case . Godspeed arena net !!

DAOC was better by far than this game, but it died. End of story.
ps: Darkness Falls came way after Trials of Atlantis. Did you not play the game?

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Dogskins.1259

words

ps: Darkness Falls came way after Trials of Atlantis. Did you not play the game?

Do you even lift bro? :P

Just playing, lol. But:

He wasn’t talking about the expansion, was talking about the PvP dungeon near PK Bridge in Alb, not too sure about mid/hib lol

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

This game is mechanically just like war hammer. Battle objective capping. Until there is a different set of abilities / armor only obtained via kills.. This game will promote only 20+ Zergs. Garbage.

Yeah. New patch made it worse. I like that they tried now its just even more of swap tower fest. Zergs try to avoid each other unless they know they have a big advantage.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

words

Just playing, lol. But:

He wasn’t talking about the expansion, was talking about the PvP dungeon near PK Bridge in Alb, not too sure about mid/hib lol

Yes, the PvP dungeon under the center of the map(DF) came 4 years after TOA.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

words

Just playing, lol. But:

You’re thinking of Labyrinth of the Minotaur. Completely different dungeon.

Anyway…DAOC is superior in pretty much every way concerning PvP in this game….GW2 doesn’t hold a candle..

Hell GW2 doesn’t even beat Warhammer Online when it comes to PvP….

Hell even the actual Mechanics of PvP require less skill then DAOC…

I know some will say “But in GW2 you have to dodge” and in DAOC you had to actually Position your self to use attacks worth anything…Hell You had to position yourself period so you wouldn’t be destroyed…Which is the equiv of dodging in this game.

if Mark Jacobs Camelot Unleashed is half as good as DAOC, it’ll still be 4x better then GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Lensar.4920

Lensar.4920

Of course it wasn’t completely balanced, never tried to say it was, just that I pity those that were tasked with that job.

Me too.

Lensar – [End] Rasnel – 80 Warrior
Ascalons Requiem – Blackgate
Public Blackgate WvW Forum: http://bit.ly/X3Bifl

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Krycek.1269

Krycek.1269

Darkness falls went live in 2002 sometime? ToA expac was in 2003, people getting darkness falls zone and Darkness Rising expac mixed up in here.

Olyn Deschain – Guardian[LAID]
Duey Decimator – Thief

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

But wait, we have 8, 8 whole abilities with 5 tiers that are completely… boring. I understand not wanting to affect the game much (like RR’s in DAoC), but come on, 5% less damage to/from a guard? Does nobody have an imagination?

You may need to ask that question of yourself. Any smaller guilds or groups that specialize in camp flipping will find their jobs a bit easier with the guard upgrades. If you’re in a small guild, and that’s most of what you do, those are ideal.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: nightfend.4072

nightfend.4072

No one else mentioned this, but one of the biggest “hardcore” parts of DAOC early on was that there were no in-game maps. You had to either have paper maps or your memory to figure out where you were. Which meant that people that played a lot, had a distinct advantage in the game.

I feel sorry for DAOC players that started playing after Trials of Atlantis as you really missed the core game. By ToA, the game was starting to suck.

Future games need to figure out grouping. There has to be a compromise between Guild Wars 2 that doesn’t require grouping at all in WvW, versus the 1-hour “looking for players” party building that was in DaoC.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Many good points listed comparing the two games. Overall I think GW2 is much more polished compared to daoc 6 months in. GW2 PvE >>>>Daoc

PvP ? It pretty much comes down to playstyle preference. (talking about WvW). I find GW2 promotes…and rewards zerg playstyle more…even more after WvW titles were introduced.

I really enjoyed soloing/duo in Daoc and picking off people trying to get to the battle. GW2 really lacks that. It is very difficult to find that type of fight. I am not saying DAOC didn’t have zerging, far from it…..but it did give more opportunities to be able to play small ball…more so than GW2

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Thresher.3049

Thresher.3049

No one else mentioned this, but one of the biggest “hardcore” parts of DAOC early on was that there were no in-game maps. You had to either have paper maps or your memory to figure out where you were. Which meant that people that played a lot, had a distinct advantage in the game.

I actually miss that to some extent, when I got too old and slow to be good at quake I moved into DAOC but still had the ‘commit it to memory’ skills I had for FPS maps that served me well hunting people solo. Plus when you went somewhere new it was an adventure into the unknown and maybe trying to find the way out.
Think the funniest thing was the whole necklace to port thing
1. People forgot and had to wait 15min
2. People who got smashed because they forgot to put theirs on after
3. People who remembered and wondered why the rest of their group died or didnt turn up

Lot of fun memories there in DAOC and some systems I’d like to see in GW2, some great friends 12 years later I still keep in touch with, but by the time the whole trials of Atlantis garbage came in, it basically beat the love to play out of it or play alt-characters. Mythic never couldn’t balance careers worth squat either, cycles of nerf/buff got pretty wearisome.

Pinot Noir (Necromancer) Pinot Blanc (Warrior)
KnT Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: IzHaN.4823

IzHaN.4823

I’ll put it simple:

3 realms > 1 realm
46 classess > 8 classes
Defined Solid Classes > Hybrid Kitten I can do everything classes
Realm Rank System > kitten +5% dmg vs guards system pukes
PvP Dungeon > What no PvP Dungeons here?
Mordred PvP Server > No open PvP servers
Did i mention that i had 46 unique classes to play which? > Mirror Opponents
Small Group Play > Zergfests
Relics > Stonemist
Melee/Caster System > I dodge 3 times every 6.xxs at much…
Chain Combos > I press 1,2,3 and i wait for CD’s to be up…

There is not much else to say, but i could keep going on. DAOC wasn’t nearly perfect, it could have grown even bigger than it was already to me. Actually those who claim that DAOC was a big grind. Either they didn’t have friends, or they didn’t for sure know how to ‘grind’, because everytime i would go for a new alt, it just took me 1-2 days at max to hit 50.

Sure the first year of the game did suck compared to GW2 i am not going to deny that. But seriously….. I wonder why they didn’t take some of those features i mentioned above, because that what made DAOC so great, and it will be always in my heart.

PS: Oh and by the way, for those who were complaining about how HARD it was to attain gear on DAOC.

First off, so you want to hit 50 and get the perfect gear? You want to be the king? Earn it then!

2nd thing… In Daoc you could customize your stats to the extreme, making your own templates to your liking.

Daoc was meant for players, that liked to play games, not for ‘casuals’ that buys games just because they’re the fashion of the moment… Casuals ruins the games, pick another fashion and leave the real players build up great games.

(edited by IzHaN.4823)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: PenguiNet.3420

PenguiNet.3420

Mid/Perc here Good times, I have great nostalgia for the game (stopped around 2005)

Rawnblade Deathclaw – Warrior
Brorannosaurus [Rekz]
Chief Charr Forum Compliance Officer

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

IzHaN.4823

Heh i played as alb on Perc! Good times and yeah i feel the same nostalgia. Then i moved onto Mordred just to find it was way more fun to be able to get access to the 3 realms and PvP just everywhere. Finally moved onto other games, cause our GM had RL issues, and also we had a few members gone. Anyways… Long Live Daoc, and those who truly played the game, God Bless them. They happened to experience the best

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Jeddite.8620

Jeddite.8620

- no rvr feeling

did you ever stand one time on top of the hill of the relic keep and wait, and wait and wait (with around 200-300 mates) and than they come…

did you ever were in a group that carry the relic?
you took it close after you had the relic keep under your control and left your own zerg and hide.
your zerg get wiped form enemy zerg, your stealther groups say that at poc and xmg are enemy zerg.
what to do?
both realms are hunting you with the relic.
you had some small fights and wiped the enemy and go hide again.
your stealther groups are fighting against enemy stealther, your zerg try to get xmg under your control and wiped and wiped…
now you only have about 30 min than you drop the relic. panic. you wait behind xmg, your zerg is in the position to attack xmg, last try all or nothing…

(at least we got it, because of luck. mids was attack the albs at hmg. our hib zerg attack them too.
we try to pass hmg from behind till they fighting, only our fian pass it alive and come to our zerg where he was safe. he carry the relic. realmpride.
a moment and a prime time raid i will never forget.)

did you ever run into a zerg and kill 4 groups
with one?
after that you meet a enemy group and wiped
after a 5 – 10 min fight, because you did one mistake (1 free caster for a few sek, block/bg come 1 sek to late, or something).

that all is rvr and that will never be in gw2.
gw2 is fun, but it’s like a battelground in daoc
(thidranki and co).

and daoc have 3 rvr dungeons
- poc
- df
- labby

p.s. sorry for my bad english

(edited by Jeddite.8620)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Talentless.5708

Talentless.5708

GW2 can never be daoc. Real pvp’ers have been split between spvp and wvw. The playerbase of WvW is mostly carebear zergers and you cant find enough people running gw2 “8mans”.

Some of the game’s mechanics like aoe limits and unlimited buffs for outside party members dont help, but I still think most fault lies with the bad players.

Talentless Necro – Talentless Engineer
Jade Quarry – Strike Force | Wilsonian Institute
new video pending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVc34_SFKM&feature=youtu.be

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I have played DAoC for 6 years since it’s release. If you compare DAoC classic servers to GW2 it’s not even close. DAoC at it’s best had it all. Class balance was there . There was a very very active solo scene. You know who the soloers are , soloers respected each others fights. There was a unoffical solo zone where you can go and expect people to duel you straight up. People organized solo tournaments cross realms.

There was a very active group v group community. Groups dyed their armor to the same color so when you are out in the world roaming you know who they are from a mile away. Good groups fought each otther stright up 8 v 8 . Good groups took on zergs and sometimes ‘gasp’ win 8 v 50.

Zerg v zerg had more tactics. You can actually hold out in a keep vs 2x your numbers for hours if you did things right. The map was big enough you can actually nija a keep from the bigger zerg whe they are busy trying you take over your home land . Nija a keep actually matters because you cut off teleport of the other army there by cut off all reinforcements.

PvE grind? there was none, we leveled alts and friend from 1 to 50 in 6 hrs while killing people in RvR.

I can go on and on about how much classic Daoc server is better than GW2. But don’t get me wrong DAoC was very bad when it first came out. PvE grind at first was horrid, took me 3 month to level my first guy to 50. Class balance was horrid, stealthers were killing people from stealth and never left it. Aoe damage for some class was so over the top combined with unbreakable CC meant that 3 people can wipe a zerg of 100 in seconds. The thing is DAoC learned corrected all the mistakes as the game grown and at the end they had it more or less right in every way.

GW2 is still very new I hope over time it will become as good as DAoC .

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

For sure DAOC allowed the 60+ hour/week/hardcore/elitist to dominate the RvR scene more then GW2 does. GW2 is getting more WvW participation from the less hard core and more of the PvE crowd. GW2 also has Spvp for the harcores that want to show their “skills”
Some of the down side to the DAOC model was there was no forgivness for new players who tried RvR and left when they realized they would die with no chance to fight back. There may have been 48 classes in DAOC but if you wanted to run in the 8 man, you pretty much had to play “x” class, using “y” spec or go home.
The larger maps of DAOC are far superior to what we have in GW2 right now. being able to treb towers and keeps from stonemist is just stupid (IMO). I think larger maps, new and more objectives will help get GW2 to spread out the huge zergs that are happening right now. The roaming of DAOC was a big positive along with the huge zerg fights at relics
For me, if I had to choose final version of DAOC or present version of GW2 I would take GW2 every time. I expect it will simply get better for WvW

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

DAOC: Lots of not PKing to be able to PK. Long runs/waits to get into a fight. Lots of lopsided class/server fighting. Really great when there was actually a fair fight.

GW2 has distilled WvW into mass fighting with little down time. Could it be better, yep. Is it great, yep. Anyone else out there got a better released MMO? Not that I know of… if they did I would be playing it.

Oh and the best PK rap (still mostly relevant): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjNQb7bvMI

“GW2 has distilled Alliance Batles into mass a fighting”, i cant imagine comparing it to other games even ragnarok online was better in this field of taking castles in towns, Wvw should be compared to AB since is the same cap catles/shrine and run to the next one for score.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: pejot.4806

pejot.4806

There is 1 huuuge difference between AB and WvW (aside from scale). In AB joining teams together and running in 1 mob was an easiest way to lose match
Also, if you were able to hold shrine vs. superior numbers, it gave your side really noticeable advantage.

Anya of the Mists
[TaG] guild/raid leader
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by pejot.4806)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Ommu.1649

Ommu.1649

What I can’t understand is that DAOC launched 12 years ago can handle way more players fighting before lag/crashing became a problem. It seems that every game since has gotten worse.

Servers have 100x more processing power, our desktop PC’s are 50x faster, and internet speeds and latency are much better. Why can’t the game developers at least have the same performance? It’s not only graphics, since the last patch everyone is just a green/red/blue blob anyway with WvW options on low.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: blasius.4723

blasius.4723

albs-Merlin here,…
yueah….good times with daoc till mythic ruining with stupid expansion ToA..

Gw2 wvw get bored and bored everyday…..doing the same thing everyday.
aoe limitation soooo killing the game ( ppl exploting by zerg balling ..meh )
at early GW2 wvw more fun..ppl spread out..doing tactics etc…

daoc have better society in terms of chatting, social, group finding..need healer!!..
GW2 muuuccchhh better graphics cant compared :P

>>>Please Anet help servers that outmanned…(spawned more guards, better lords,
more supply, etc i dont know just help..
with current wvw its not enough…commander siegecrusher have no effect to zergs,….
with this one fix everybody happy,…outmanned server got chance to defends and for dominated server got more challenge to occupied a keep , ..more fun of course..
yea sorry to say this because when you at outmanned server .. literally you got nothing…to defend
allright, cheers
sorry for my english.
thanks…

Sea of Sorrow : since day 1 – my home land
Bone(engi80)-Taran(thief80)-Clea(ele80)-Enci(guard80)-Mina (mesmer80)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

There is 1 huuuge difference between AB and WvW (aside from scale). In AB joining teams together and running in 1 mob was an easiest way to lose match
Also, if you were able to hold shrine vs. superior numbers, it gave your side really noticeable advantage.

Well running 1mob sometimes wasnt that bad, it deppended of the map also, but the spawn camps were awfull anoying, good thing now we have extra paths.
Still i dont feel much difference from AB to WvW beside the number of players, just hadded some walls before the shrines, its a cap n’run system, all the work you made will be gone in 5 to 10 minutes.

Maybe im to used to siege mmo’s that to take a castle could take 1h or more and deffend it for more than 7 days for the rewards, w/o players limit, closer to this might be the SM castle.

About daoc didnt played much, but i can see some similiraties.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

The founder of Mythic – Mark Jacobs is in the process of developing Camelot Unchained AKA DAoC 2.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Without the cap, you’d instantly kill yourself to Retaliation

add 1s internal cooldown to retaliation. then remove aoe cap. problem solved.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Unpleasant.4286

Unpleasant.4286

Like I said for its time it was accessible.

What makes it Brutal by today’s standerds?

Long duration hard CC.
Super long cooldowns 30-60 minutes on some.
Death penalties and Rez sickness
Equipment that would break with use and needed to be replaced eventually.
No casting well moving, melee attacks auto interrupting casts.
The ability to run out of resource Mana/Endurance
Positional and Reactionary attack chains.
No jumping right back in the action when you wipe.

Some of these are quality of life changes to the mmorpg realm as it has become more mainstream but like I said most people who started with games like WoW would find these thing punishing where some of us older guys miss some of that stuff.

Hola. I’m a former and current daoc player who runs a guild group 2-3 times a week in DAoC. I just wanted to give my thoughts on this whole GW vs DAOC thing.

To me GW2 will never be a daoc^2, and there are a bunch of fundamental design differences as to why.
However that does not mean Anet couldn’t improve the game a lot by copying daoc in certain areas.

What GW2 and DAoC have in common is the “frontier” zone where all the wvw/rvr takes place. It’s one area where you fight the enemy, conquer keeps and so on.
Another big thing both games have in common are zergs – there’s always one rolling, even in daoc. During prime times in daoc there’s always a zerg running from each of the three realms, usually numbering between 50 and 150 players per zerg.

The differences are in map size, combat mechanics and holy trinity (or lack of).

- WvW map size.
GW2 maps are a little too tight, as you can’t really evade the zerg and just plain avoid fighting against it. I prefer the daoc’s frontiers where there’s always room to go around if you know a big zerg is at point X.

- Holy trinity and a lack of one.
In GW2 you have no reliable way to take out/hinder/stop a zerg from steamrolling everything unless you are ikittenerg of your own. Since everyone is a healer, a tank and can resurrect each other due to downed state mechanics, there’s very little that can be done against a big mass of players.

- CC is a joke – this ties in with the above.
Of course as a daoc player this applies to every other mmo pvp. There isn’t enough area control to take out a big ball of each others kitten hugging zerglings with smaller numbers.

- Progression and the actual pvp.
The new wvw paths are a nice idea, but they really need some work. I doubt people find 5/5 for a 5% dmg bonus against certain things, such as guards, valuable.
Make the wvw skill tree options meaningful. I’m going to bring up daoc again as it’s what i have most experience with: in that game you have about 5-10 reasonable choices where to spend your points (gained from rvr, by killing people and not taking keeps 24/7). You generally have 2-5 really good active abilities which you can pick or passives that either make you swing melee weapons faster, hit harder, crit more, cast spells faster, have reduction to magic damage taken, reduction to melee damage taken, increased parry or block chances, increased healing effectiveness, more critical hits on heals and such.

Ultimately as the two games are sooo different fundamentally I’d just wish Anet thinks over the pvp progression and change the focus on to killing enemies while not cluttered in one superkittenerg. Map layout/size should and could be changed to make smaller groups viable, IMO.

Thanks for reading ^_______^

/Unpleasant Touch

(edited by Unpleasant.4286)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Lonny.9873

Lonny.9873

People tend to glorify DAoC.
When i was still playing there were huge class imbalances and the game required pretty low “skill”. The majority of the “8v8-skill” was to keep your 8 people together, use /stick, /face, /assist and to not break mezz and root…
Don’t get me wrong. I loved playing DAoC 8v8 and got some pretty High RR Toons, but in the end it was way worse than people say…

X Requiem X – [REQ]
Sela Nox – Mesmer
Medania – Thief

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

the sequel to daoc is up at kickstarter as of 2 weeks ago. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Sure, DAOC was far from perfect. Thus its even more absurd that 12 years later, there’s still no better RVR based MMO on the market.

IMO GW2 comes really close. But it’s sad to see some major flaws in GW2 WvW whereas DAOC RVR did those parts perfectly well.

Good beginning:

- remove AOE caps
- rework reviving (add penalties for revived players, decrease revive speed, …)

Make those changes WvW only to not harm any PVE content.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

Pity GW1 didn’t have RvR, with 100 classes it would have been a really good meta.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

What i dont understand so far in GW2 is the following…..
How can a game like DAoC thats been released in 2001 since day one host over 1000 players in rvr (wvw) without lag (unless with the relic raid where more then 2000 players went in) and GW2 have so many restrictions.

Moore’s Law: Computing power doubles roughly every 2 years.
Slamz’ Law: As computing power increases, game makers leverage this to lower the cost-per-player rather than increasing the computing power spent on each player.

That is, 10 years ago, a $10,000 server would host 1000 players with weak game mechanics.
Today, a $10,000 server will host 10,000 players in 10 separate instances with weak game mechanics.

There are games that are 10+ years old that did cooler things than modern game even bother to attempt. It’s often stated that player collision is too CPU-intensive for modern MMORPGs to support but EQ was doing it in 1999. I think I played EQ on a 233 MHz Intel Pentium-5.

Guild Wars 2 looks prettier than DAOC but mechanically it’s less sophisticated. But I bet their cost-per-player is way lower than DAOC’s.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

cosmicegg.8502

Collision would make the game really great. And its part of the game engine already, its not enabled for player to player or npc’s . Its only been enabled for player to world.

EQ did it and i think it was a great feature of the game. They did a great job in EQ making the environment real, like trouble seeing in the dark for humans and other racial traits. I think its cheesy that you could just step through a person for positional attacks.
Kinda makes dodge roll a get out of peril key mash. DAoC was unique because the RvR worlds were reflective of the races. All the maps were different and owning realms meant dungeon access.

Strategy and ambush were used more often and zergs were only used for keep takes and relics. Keeps didn’t change hands every 3 minutes.

Keeps flip to easily in this game. And now since levels have been added more zerging is encouraged for advancement. Theirs no reason not to zerg when 50 people can all hit one person for the same wvw exp as one can solo.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

the sequel to daoc is up at kickstarter as of 2 weeks ago. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

Indeed, vote with your money folks.

A dedicated RvR game, funded by players with a heavy investment from a small team.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I voted with mine, put my money down on that the day it opened.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Xproject.1425

Xproject.1425

To all in this thread who miss those days of DAOC , please go and support the kickstarter for Camelot Unchained!!!.

Favorite thing about DAOC was the guild cloaks and unity in RvR. Chat spam in PVE Land when any of the keeps were taken in the frontiers. Chat spam when one of your guild’s claimed keeps was under attack and by how many in the area. Stealther wars and stealthers providing intell to the zerg. Jeez, perma stealth in general.. bring it back , it can still be done correctly. Hard CC’s, hard interupts, speed classes… too much to go on about.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Ceregon.3581

Ceregon.3581

I miss the DAoC days terribly! I have put my money into the kickstarter, and anyone who is craving a straight up RvR game needs to head to the link above and become a backer.

They have already raised 750k+ in 3 days. Their goal is 2 million and there is still 27 days left on the kickstarter.

Spread the word folks!

Commander Ceregon
Team Legacy [TL]
Sylvari Mesmer with… wings

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

IzHaN.4823

Favorite thing about DAOC was the guild cloaks and unity in RvR. Chat spam in PVE Land when any of the keeps were taken in the frontiers. Chat spam when one of your guild’s claimed keeps was under attack and by how many in the area. Stealther wars and stealthers providing intell to the zerg. Jeez, perma stealth in general.. bring it back , it can still be done correctly. Hard CC’s, hard interupts, speed classes… too much to go on about.

How much i miss those cloaks!!!! And the sense of REALM and UNION…. Here everyone seems to be anonymous…. Or those who claim to be commander, are just some random dude that paid up 100g to have that icon upon their heads. Lol

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

cosmicegg.8502

Well they’re about halfway to being funded right now. If they get the 2 million from kickstarter , Mark Jacobs is putting up 2 million more and he has another million in investors. 5 million for development is a great start.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

DAoC was and is a far better game than GW2. Wvw is not even in the same universe as rvr, especially since Anet tailors wvw towards no skill zergers more and more with every patch. If there were anything left for me to do in DAoC, I’d still be playing it instead of this mediocre diluted hand me down of a game. I played DAoC on and off over a stretch of 10 years. I’m already barely playing GW2 anymore.

Its years away and probably not going to be what I want, but I’m keeping an eye on CU with the hope that MJ will do justice to the best game I ever played.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Well they’re about halfway to being funded right now. If they get the 2 million from kickstarter , Mark Jacobs is putting up 2 million more and he has another million in investors. 5 million for development is a great start.

Definitely going to feed on their tears when everyone who paid thousands of $ realize they’re not getting what they wanted (right around 2015).

Camelot Unchained is backwards looking. Everything about it screams “retro”.

Retro is okay for an one-time minigame, but even a niche MMO must combine the old with the new. It’s hard to see anything about CU that acknowledges the modern world.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Can’ wait for Camelot Unchained! Go support the Kickstarter and get yourself into the beta, people!

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Neat as a niche-mmo like that is to see, I think its likely ultimately better to have a game like GW2 do it right within the confines of its own larger structure than to have a game dedicated solely to it. Feels healthier for the long run since you have three separate game populations that can intermingle and bring different things.

I’ve never been a fan of tunneled homogeneity though.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Waage.2047

Waage.2047

words

Just playing, lol. But:

You’re thinking of Labyrinth of the Minotaur. Completely different dungeon.

Anyway…DAOC is superior in pretty much every way concerning PvP in this game….GW2 doesn’t hold a candle..

Hell GW2 doesn’t even beat Warhammer Online when it comes to PvP….

Hell even the actual Mechanics of PvP require less skill then DAOC…

I know some will say “But in GW2 you have to dodge” and in DAOC you had to actually Position your self to use attacks worth anything…Hell You had to position yourself period so you wouldn’t be destroyed…Which is the equiv of dodging in this game.

if Mark Jacobs Camelot Unleashed is half as good as DAOC, it’ll still be 4x better then GW2.

Okay i am going to revoke your “I know what i am talking about card” for your Warhammer online statement. I played that on the side of Order for a long time and that game is TRASH compared to GW2 when it comes to WvW.

Now i played on the European servers and there was only 3 classes that was core. WP, Knight and Bright Wizard. A few Slayers and few AM’s could be useful, but the rest had to be bomb’s or else you would lose.

Hey want to attack a keep. Where there is 1 way in so stand here and press hold the line over and over and over and over and over and over. The maps them self where badly made super unbalanced tiny. The Tier 3 ones where good, but tier 4. MY GOD!

RK was active in that game and a massive force on our server and to this day we still joke about the horrible stuff that was in that game.

[RK] – Guild Leader and awesome Warrior – BG

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

IzHaN.4823

Gw2 is more Retro than Daoc actually. Let me explain in a few points.

1) 3 realm vs 1 realm (check)
2) 46 Unique Classes vs 8 mirror classes (check)
3) 18 races different racial stats vs 5 races with elite racials that no one uses (check)
4) Wide Frontiers vs Tight Instanced Frontiers (check)
5) Real Large Scale Combats +600 players without lag vs 180(max) with lag (check)
6) Small Groups/Scouts/Infiltrators rewarded vs Zergfesting rewards (check)
7) Real PvP Progression (ie. more skills, stats, abilities) vs 5% to siege/guards?? (check)

I could list more but then some people would begin to cry that i am a fanboy. I am not a fanboy of Daoc. I am just a player that had the chance to play on so many games, and i never came across to the experience Daoc provided to me, and i know a lot of people does agree. You just need to look in the Facebook how many Daoc groups does still exist, and how many people is hoping/waiting Daoc 2 will make it back strong as ever.

The only game that made it close to Daoc in the sense of Realm Ranks progression was Rift. And i believe that game will get better with the time, and add more cool features that will make it worth it to play also.

Anyways while i write this, i log in everyday at Gw2, do my dailies, play PvP, run some dungeons, and help the newcomers, hoping that things will get better, but lets be blunt. 90% of the veterans on my guild (which are not Daoc players) believes this game needs a big change, and encourage more the small group, to promote a better PvP system, a PvP that encourages you to keep playing the game… Because, without high end PvE content, in the end, it just becomes a repetitive task….

I could care less about wearing a Legendary that half server can wear. I could care less about leveling an alt, because besides the Engineer, Necro and Mesmer, i believe the other classes aren’t that fun at all, and anyways leveling here to 80 can be done in 1 day also.

I just want… PvP Progression, Stop the mirror classes, give us more factions, give us wide combat places, gives us a PvP Dungeon, give us more characters to create, give us the chance to roll imba characters that can be only stopped against a group or a single skilled person. Give me the feeling than when i am 80 Orr its like a piece of cake, because i earned, because i have the best gear, because i got hands and skills, thus all of this is limited by a poor system that discourages solo players of feeling powerful at all.

Daoc was a group based game too, but trust me, even solo, you did feel that you could accomplish so much more than in here. Anyways…. If someone did happen to read all this, congratulations, no more boring lines to add besides this. I’ll keep playing GW2 until my mates decide it’s time to move, or Daoc resurrects and then i’ll know i will move in heartbeat. Just wish Gw2 did listen more to players and they do accept that some of the playerbase has better idea of what the devs are doing at the moment.

(edited by IzHaN.4823)

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Kiltor.9362

Kiltor.9362

DAoC was way ahead of its time. back then people were just getting into pvp as main stream type of playstyle. and daoc amped it up by doing it 3 realms vs eachother.

Kiltor – [Retribution] –

Daoc Vs Gw2

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Without a doubt, DAoC is superior to GW2. But then again it took 5 years to polish DAOC.

I know some of you dont agree, but GW2 is a 10 year project. But the time it hits 5 years, it will be far more fun than what daoc was after 5 years.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister