Dev livestream: Ready Up: April 4, 12pm – Megaservers & more

in WvW

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

This week on Ready Up, we’ll have Colin Johanson on the show to talk about Megaservers and the future of WvW, along with our Champion Genius host, Josh “Grouch” Davis.

We would like for you all to post questions here regarding the content we’ll be discussing, and we will try to answer as many as possible on the show.

When & Where:
Friday, April 4th, at 12pm PDT
Guild Wars 2 official Twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

What could you possibly have to talk about?

The blog post was barren.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What will Megaservers do to resolve late night coverage, low WvW population, and latency issues?

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Are you ever going to sort out this insane skill delay issue.

in WvW

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

if they’re able to answer questions about this, why not just put that info in the blog post??

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Per the blog, PvE guild chapters spread across worlds will be unified into a single guild following the Megaserver rollout, yet WvW home world identity will be preserved.

How will guild chat be handled in WvW following the PvE Megaserver rollout for guilds with members from different worlds?

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

Are we heading for factions instead of worlds fighting each other? If not, what other solution is better than that to solve the coverage wars problem?

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

What metric do you use to differentiate active WvW population from Server PVE population and how will that measurement change based on PVE megaservers?

Will free server transfers be provided to allow for the population to adjust to the new normal with megaservers?

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What could you possibly have to talk about?

The blog post was barren.

Which would mean they probably have quite a bit to talk about, seeing as they have not really said anything about it yet

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Guild Halls? Yes Colin?

Serious Question: With the eventual design of guilds not being bound by shard, has there been any consideration or development towards Alliances and Guild Alliance features?

Also, has there been any research or is there any intent to pursue guilds existing across regional barriers (with China isolated of course…rules and stuff)? NA guilds that can recruit EU server players and vice versa.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

Will there be a Q&A regarding the World Bosses and Events in a future Ready Up or just in a general livestream?

in WvW

Posted by: ViRuE.3612

ViRuE.3612

Oh yeh, I’m sure it will take a long time to expand on the WvWvW specifics mentioned in the blog… oh no wait, my mistake it won’t take more than a sentence will it?

In fact for WvWvW the entire feature patch can be summarized in one sentence. “Nothing to see here”.

Not even sure why you mentioned WvWvW at all in the blog posts because you have nothing to say on it – except that (for the moment) you don’t plan on getting rid of WvWvW homeworlds.

Pointless waste of time and bandwidth. Not even sure why you bothered to post in the WvWvW forums.

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Oh yeh, I’m sure it will take a long time to expand on the WvWvW specifics mentioned in the blog… oh no wait, my mistake it won’t take more than a sentence will it?

In fact for WvWvW the entire feature patch can be summarized in one sentence. “Nothing to see here”.

Not even sure why you mentioned WvWvW at all in the blog posts because you have nothing to say on it – except that (for the moment) you don’t plan on getting rid of WvWvW homeworlds.

Pointless waste of time and bandwidth. Not even sure why you bothered to post in the WvWvW forums.

Here you go.

We’ll go into the very specific details about these changes as we approach the launch of this system game-wide, but we wanted to get a head start on messaging this since these are natural questions the addition of our megaserver system raises.”

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

I might of course have misread something, but I am very sure that we will get a change that people have been asking for since release. So claiming “nothing to see here.” is complete BS.

And just because they didn’t post specifics in the latest blog-post doesn’t mean they won’t tell us more in a live-stream.

They only told us about a few new Traits in the blog-post but showed all the new ones on the live-stream after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

How will the megaserver system affect general game performance?

What about stuff locked up in guild banks, such as siege from multiple “worlds”. What happens to that when stuff gets merged?

Any new masteries coming soon?

Any changes coming to general WvW soon? Such as improvements to the upgrade system?

Sneakpeak on the new commander features that is being worked on please!!!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: fedecane.6259

fedecane.6259

Will the server-power spared from drastically reducing PVE maps be used to remove or lift the AoE cap in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: ZhouFusion.1826

ZhouFusion.1826

Megaservers make it really easy to play with people from all over the world in PvE.
Makes recruiting people from differend servers easier and will change guilds eventually as you guys roll out the system everywhere.
U guys have eny idea how that will impact the shift in WvW populations??
and will there be a change in transferring??

Since the only reason to move Homeworld soon is WvW.
Because everything else isn’t connected to your homeworld.
Does that mean u will get rid of The Homeworlds as they are now in 1 years time?

in WvW

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Per the blog, PvE guild chapters spread across worlds will be unified into a single guild following the Megaserver rollout, yet WvW home world identity will be preserved.

How will guild chat be handled in WvW following the PvE Megaserver rollout for guilds with members from different worlds?

I imagine the same way it is now. I can chat with guild members on other servers even if we are both in WvW – even if we are fighting each other.

Guild warrior for life!

in WvW

ViRuE.3612

I might of course have misread something, but I am very sure that we will get a change that people have been asking for since release. So claiming “nothing to see here.” is complete BS.

And just because they didn’t post specifics in the latest blog-post doesn’t mean they won’t tell us more in a live-stream.

They only told us about a few new Traits in the blog-post but showed all the new ones on the live-stream after all.

Which change is that then? I’m fairly certain you misread something.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Accountbound WXP.
And to be fair, I made a mistake in the earlier post, WXP haven’t been in the game since release, so it haven’t been asked for since release. My bad.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Good news for some of us on the Guild merger coming… probably a ways off but still glad to see this issue addressed.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

The lag is a major issue in WvW right now. I’ve died several times because I was unable to access skills or, sometimes, not able to move. The same thing happens in world boss fights even now, without Megaservers. Will the new server architecture be able to reduce this lag in both PvE and, eventually, WvW?

Thanks,

Guild warrior for life!

in WvW

Posted by: Incinerate.5876

Incinerate.5876

On topic:
How can the megaserver help with lag issues?

Off topic but far more important questions:
What can be done against the hackers?
What can be done against the lack of coverage on some servers?
GVG SUPPORT

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

On topic:
How can the megaserver help with lag issues?

Off topic but far more important questions:
What can be done against the hackers?
What can be done against the lack of coverage on some servers?
GVG SUPPORT

Well in theory the server pool will have fewer maps running which could free up system resources that can be devoted elsewhere. Currently if a single player is on a map, the server has to render that map in memory and do a bunch of processing for that one player. If they pool players on fewer active maps, they should get a significant memory bump, better usage of caching and some processing power back.

This is all an educated guess because their PvE environment may have nothing to do with their WvW environment. The new system could also be in theory more resource intensive as the messaging between users might be more laborious than the savings they get switching the system.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

ViRuE.3612

Accountbound WXP.
And to be fair, I made a mistake in the earlier post, WXP haven’t been in the game since release, so it haven’t been asked for since release. My bad.

No it hasn’t been asked for since release, only since the release of WxP. It was also announced by Devon last November that we would be getting WxP, so this is hardly “new” is it. It was mentioned to be coming with EoTM release but there were issues, so including it in the “feature pack” seems a little cheap to me.

in WvW

Posted by: Screenager.7804

Screenager.7804

Great to see the wuvwu get more time on ready up

ive got a few specific questions relating to what we have so far.

• Thus far we know that the guilds spread across PvE home servers are not going to be split when out of WvW which is great but how does this impact guild chat when you have people on different servers in WvW.

Specifically if it crosses home server will that lead to it being used to not play as intended?

• Guild upgrades include WvW buffs and equipment. How will this all work as the PvE mega servers are introduced. It might feel a tad unfair to some players having their effort spawned on top of them in a reign of guild siege from another guild member on another home server.
  • Will the mega server somewhat undermine the idea of the home server and wht it reflects in WvW. Server rivalry does not just come from WvW but the challenges faced throughout the game from the race to down the first boss to smack talk that goes on in the wider internet.
  • to follow on from that, by removing the server clustering from some parts of the game are you preparing the way for players to participate in WvW in collaborative gathering more directly related to their social interactions rather than their “server name”
  • Assuming that the megaserver system pushes people towards playing in groups that better reflect their groups outside of their server would this pave the way to make claiming objectives more meaningful than they are at the moment.
  • As Malchior asked what are the potential long term reproductions of this towards guild structures and alliances over server grouping thereby splitting up the server megablob.
  • With the megaserver map cap increase how if at all will this be reflected in wvw?

right that’s everything off the top of my head… probably more tomorrow

Screenager
Executed [ExE] – Piken Square
characterselect.net

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Will there be a way to connect with a server-specific PvE population?
(eg: for a general call to come and fight in WvW)

in WvW

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

I’m a little disappointed with the feature patch and the WvW implications but I’ll give it a try…

Will megaserver change come with raidUI so that parties can be made with more than 5 people? Ohhhh you got me I was cheating and trying to sneak something by..

OK ok , seriously now….
How do you expect to address a current tactic of hopping to “X” city/map and getting or recruiting help for your server to save objectives with the new megaservers?

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

in WvW

Posted by: Surmaturma.4823

Surmaturma.4823

Which all languages are considered when combining people – current language servers or more?

A bit theoretical one but with feature which I understood to be such that guild could trigger major world bosses like new jungle wurm and coming of megaserver is it possible even for a large-scale guild to fully occupy one map instance?
Kinda missing feeling of guild only pve achievements.

Interesting patch.

Cheers

“To Rasa Sum – and back again!”

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Does that mean u will get rid of The Homeworlds as they are now in 1 years time?

The way it looks, this is pretty much guaranteed.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

OK ok , seriously now….
How do you expect to address a current tactic of hopping to “X” city/map and getting or recruiting help for your server to save objectives with the new megaservers?

We won’t be able to do it. All cities will be included in the megaserver. This would not have even been thought of by anet.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

The way it looks, this is pretty much guaranteed.

I feel the same way.

In a few months we will have guilds that know no server boundaries, all wanting to do things together. They are going to want to wvw together as well and to do so on the same side. The whole drive is that server choice no longer affects the ability of guild members to enjoy content with one another….and wvw will have to match that sooner or later.

The only logical way for it to progress is that we have one virtual server cloud for everyone, with guilds and maybe guild alliances as floating communities within it. Those floating guild groups in turn will take a role in the three wvw factions, functioning in the same way as edge of the mist does currently.

The old server divisions would be a direct obstacle to the “guild together” approach and they will have to be removed for that vision to work properly.

(edited by chronometria.3708)

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Megaserver allows Arenanet to completely rethink WvW into something better.

Perhaps something more permanent than just 1 weekly match-ups … but I think it would take more man-hours than they like to put into WvW because it’s not as profitable as other parts of the game.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

This question is more regarding the future of WvW…

So I really like that you guys are starting to provide unique skins for rewards in WvW and PvP. I feel like it encourages people to play a variety of content, but also creates unique rewards for specific accomplishments in the game… which are both really great things to see as a player.

The question I have is, will we see more of this in the future, such as unique armor pieces, or maybe a “WvW battle scar” skin for character’s faces that does something similar to the new glowing red eyes (just an example of the posssibilities), or other types of unique things achieved through WvW achievements?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

(edited by Tagus Eleuthera.7305)

in WvW

Posted by: GoodWithGravy.8019

GoodWithGravy.8019

Are you taking any of the opportunities new server structures prevent to solve/help:

- Population Imbalance – Especially where people are given warning to stack servers before tournaments.

- Skill lag.

- Rubber banding.

- Slowdown & catchup in damage/boons/conditions .

- Nightcapping

- Diminishing returns on control – ie, blowing 5 cleanses of binds, only to get hit by 5 more.

Will an improvement in server system be able to provide the extra power to correct errors like false obstructions on projectiles and blinks.

Future of WvW outside of servers:

Is anything going to be done about the blob, hammer-trains state of play in the large scale.

What about the AoE cap and how it interacts with the above. Why are arrow carts allowed over this cap, but open field battles are not.

Anything (ICD?) happening to retal to prevent some abilities being a 1 button self kill. Could anything be done about the abilities themselves. (I have heard of hard counters but the current state is a bit too hard of a counter)

For roaming – Will other fight reset abilities be balanced the same way RTL was.

New weapons – Will WvW be kept in mind when developing the new weapon skill-sets for classes like Mesmer and Thief which are currently lacking good AoE and CC weapons for large scale pvp. Possibly taking this as an opportunity to give Thieves more of a place in larger groups.

Because all loot and credit comes from tagging, currently healing and boon support builds go unrewarded. Is any system being thought out to reward these absolutely vital roles?

It was mentioned before that you wanted to make some kind of reward system for scouting, has any progress been made on this?

Somewhat covered by the server questions, but are any attempts at all being made to balance match-ups? Do you plan on trying to bring in some way of equaling playing field between the current tournament and the next. If not, are there alternatives to having position based rewards in the meta chest, seeing as some servers stand no chance of getting a good position purely because of population.

If competitions are going to be introduced into WvW, the dev team should seriously think about beginning to make the match-ups competitive instead of servers taking it in turns steamrolling and being steamrolled.

(edited by GoodWithGravy.8019)

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

[Copied from the Blog post feedback thread]

So essentially, Home World will be a WvW distinction only. Home World will have NO MEANING in PvE what-so-ever.

I see this creating an even greater divide between PvE and WvW. WvW players won’t be able to promote the WvW game mode to the PvE community in an effective way. New PvE players won’t even realize that they are associated with a specific WvW server, and they will not organize their social structures to match server assignments.

This is how that LA recruitment conversation could go:

• GoM player: Hey everyone! GoM is going to run a Stomp the Map event in 30 minutes. It will be a lot of fun and it is a great way for you to get a taste of WvW. We will be starting in XYZ borderland, hope to see you there!
  • New player 1: How do I know what server I’m on?
  • GoM player: Well, you will have to go to the character select screen and look it up.
  • XYZ player: I’m from server XYZ, we will be ready for you, lol
  • Experienced PvE player: I want to try WvW with my guild, but they are on a bunch of different servers, will that be a problem?
  • GoM player: Yes… yes it will.
  • New player 2: Wait a minute, what is a server?

All of this is to illustrate a point. Server identity needs to exist in a meaningful way in both PvE and WvW. If it does not, then WvW will become its own separate little corner of GW2. Social groups will form in PvE that are incompatible with WvW, and serve as a barrier to entry.

I think it will be possible to maintain server identity in PvE in the new system, but it will require additional systems to do this intentionally. Are any such systems in the works?

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

(edited by titanlectro.5029)

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Concerning the future of WvW.

What is Anet’s future vision of WvW? What direction do you intend to take it in?

What’s in the development pipeline for the rest of this year, 2014 for WvW?

Are ascended weapons, armour and backpacks ever going to be available by playing WvW alone? No the 1 in 1,000,000 drop chance via ranking up chests does not count.

Shouldn’t Mistforged weapons really have had ascended stats?

in WvW

Posted by: Lucis.3156

Lucis.3156

What were the reasons for choosing “Worlds” to stay in WvW with the megaserver update, instead of a “campaign” system?

Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: oblivious.8074

oblivious.8074

Since this is for WvW players I wish you would do it in a more convenient time than one hour into reset.

Do it on thursday or Wednesday when its the end of the matchup and its better for people to take a break to watch it.

Main: Combustible Lemon – Asura Engineer
on Piken Square and Gandara.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I feel mega wvw servers in the air. Maybe a year or more, but no more empty borders.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Flytrap.8075

I wish I had known beforehand that this would just be a rehash of their blog posts.

The WvW tease was a low-blow.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

So… Did you guys catch any of these questions being answered?

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

So when is the stream? is it over?

in WvW

Flytrap.8075

You didn’t miss anything, it was a complete waste of time and had almost nothing to do with WvW.

The only “new” information is that they’re working on “stuff”. Cool.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

You didn’t miss anything, it was a complete waste of time and had almost nothing to do with WvW.

The only “new” information is that they’re working on “stuff”. Cool.

So… nothing until the end of season 2, then we may get an announcement of a new map (and server merge), and then we wait 6 months like for EOTM…?

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Maybe people should take into consideration that when talked about EotM in the CDI many players were against the idea of blobbing servers together for the real matches.

And maybe the plan was for them to do just that, but due to the feedback from the players they decided to scrap it, and thus they are now back at the drawing board, and thus they don’t have anything they can share with us yet?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: ManaCraft.5630

ManaCraft.5630

Pretty much this. We’ve had two news items that both contained nothing, then this thread that also contained nothing, which led up to a podcast that contained – you guessed it – nothing. The cake is a lie.

Regardless, I’m glad they’ve finally made a decision. It makes your options as a player that much clearer. If you favor the current system, you’re good to go. If not, it’s time to look elsewhere.

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Didn’t watch the stream.

Sounds like what they talked about was mainly prepping people for the future of WvW and it’s direction rather than any significant content that’s coming.

Probably attempting to tie people over while ESO hype is up?

Feel free to disagree with me.

in WvW

Posted by: DaMikenatr.7041

DaMikenatr.7041

Maybe people should take into consideration that when talked about EotM in the CDI many players were against the idea of blobbing servers together for the real matches.

And maybe the plan was for them to do just that, but due to the feedback from the players they decided to scrap it, and thus they are now back at the drawing board, and thus they don’t have anything they can share with us yet?

Call me a hopeful, but I agree that this is a very possible scenario. Regardless of what WvW has seen, you have to admit that they do listen to the community as a whole and are making an effort to see changes go into the game. And I know a lot of you will say it’s too late for changes or they’re doing it to keep us from going to this new game that’s launching or it’s because of the China launch, but the point of the matter is that changes don’t happen overnight. And you’re always going to have people who get the short end of the stick. That’s just life.

Tsyborg – human guardian – commander
Vicious Instinct [VI]

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Call me a hopeful, but I agree that this is a very possible scenario. Regardless of what WvW has seen, you have to admit that they do listen to the community as a whole and are making an effort to see changes go into the game.

Where are the changes to the commander grouping system then? Something which has been requested ever since the beta weekends.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro