Discuss The State Of WvW

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Hey you got a 9 week tournament. what more you could ask for. Its new, its not Season 2 so no repeat. Plus they didn’t drop any Pve junk in it.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

I wouldn’t say that the Devs don’t care, they just can’t really do anything right now until the season is over. They tried a different type of scoring and it didn’t work like they intended. I’m fairly certain they will try, yet another, scoring system for season 3.

Just give us a new scoring system based on population and give us a score DECAY. The longer you hold something the less points you get.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I wouldn’t say that the Devs don’t care, they just can’t really do anything right now until the season is over. They tried a different type of scoring and it didn’t work like they intended. I’m fairly certain they will try, yet another, scoring system for season 3.

Just give us a new scoring system based on population and give us a score DECAY. The longer you hold something the less points you get.

When suggesting an idea, try to imagine first how it could be exploited. The last thing WvW needs is MORE incentive to not defend and let things flip for more rewards.

“Hey guys, our garrison is tier 3 and we’re not getting many points from it anymore. Let’s just let the enemy flip it so we can reset the point gain.”

No thanks.

The scoring system is okay, the matchmaking system(s) are not. Glicko was designed for sports teams and chess players, whose skill level and team numbers/composition are predictable. WvW coverage is about morale and a million people’s random life schedules. The game is a hobby, not a professional sport.

Matchmaking should be done by graphing number of active players at 15 minute intervals. Matches should be made from the servers with the closest active WvW populations.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think you mean the other way around: The longer you hold something the more points per tick you get.

The other positive changes they could make are:
1) dilute the rewards for taking objectives by the number of players who participated (discourage zerging).
2) make every kill count towards the score (re-balance scoring & ticks) to promote player clashes over karma training.

The one addition to WVW I’d most like to see is a PVP/PVE dungeon along the lines of Darkness Falls in DAOC, which changes ownership based on which server controls the most X and essentially functions as:

• a reward for the leading server, and
  • a balancing mechanic that removes some of the dominant server’s players from the battlefield.
downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

Let’s face it – Feature Patch brought in a LOT of new/quitted players… for a day or two.

Meantime I SEE population falling man. Coz wardrobe and Balthazar backpack is 3 days worth of content at best. And even then it’s not anywhere near worth losing your home server to all the hordes of alien players and gold spammers, or doing silly content [for traits] which you’d otherwise skip wholeheartedly.

I see entire communities quitting for the sucky state of WvW (and PLEASE let us never call that bridge-intense karmatrain twink-lvling map WvW). Meantime there was not a post on any WvW concerns. As a matter of fact there wasn’t any posts on anything interesting after April 15th, just monotonous news on ticket resolutions and PMs about my posts being deleted. As if everyone just quit already for the summer and left the game floating.

Gonna wait ’til June 3rd and then move on I guess, shame really.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

If they’re so frickin’ busy with all sorts of stuff, the least that can be done is someone saying, just SAYING (doesn’t even have to be true) that they are looking into the concerns and working on things, or that they have ideas to improve the next season, or that they have a stand on the 2v1 thing so everyone on both sides can shut up. A couple lines will do.

Nope, nothing, not a peep. Nobody gives a kitten about WvW.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

The lack of communication is beyond embarrassing.

[HUE]

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think it was best said “GW2 forums have become much like a boyfriend or girlfriend who is consistently asking if things are ok and they MUST get a replay back every time or things are in there view going badly” its ok that you dev. not posting on every thread and this season not going to shift. Most likely things will changes after this session is over so beyond having the dev. read what being posted about it having them say something every time some “super ego person” post is pointless.

I find the amount of self important view on ppl post very embarrassing as being part of the GW2 community.

Any way back to the thread its an RvRvR question how do you make ppl want to play for there world with out making it into a farm fest? I do not know how and i am not sure if there is going to be one trick to fix it all more then likely its going to take time and a lot of work by both Anet and the GW2 community.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Yujin.1785

Yujin.1785

You mean WW v W ? I will no longer financially support a company that promotes cheating. Not only should JQ and TC be disqualified for cheating (every document on this site says either W v W or W v W v W , not WW v W). Also any gm or developer who promotes cheating should be terminated. I love how you punish people for doing well. Great job Anet you have ruined what should have been an epic game.

takin my money elsewhere

It’s not cheating. Anet said it is three worlds competition, so that two lowered score servers can have a chance to beat a bigger server. Plus, you didn’t see JQ crying during the first S1, when they got 2vs1 each time it was against BG and SoR.

I agree that it’s not cheating but comparing it to season 1 isn’t even remotely fair. BG, SoR, and JQ match ups only happened twice in season 1: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_vs._World_Season_1

Problem with the season 2 is the way swiss-style match ups are being controlled to maintain this alliance. Some people think that this is some form of match manipulation, which is really subject to debate.

Definitely agree with some others are saying this thread that this form of match up won’t be appearing on next season if ever.

(edited by Yujin.1785)

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I think it was best said “GW2 forums have become much like a boyfriend or girlfriend who is consistently asking if things are ok and they MUST get a replay back every time or things are in there view going badly” its ok that you dev. not posting on every thread and this season not going to shift. Most likely things will changes after this session is over so beyond having the dev. read what being posted about it having them say something every time some “super ego person” post is pointless.

I find the amount of self important view on ppl post very embarrassing as being part of the GW2 community.

Any way back to the thread its an RvRvR question how do you make ppl want to play for there world with out making it into a farm fest? I do not know how and i am not sure if there is going to be one trick to fix it all more then likely its going to take time and a lot of work by both Anet and the GW2 community.

That analogy doesn’t work, the relationships are not comparable. No, Anet can’t and shouldn’t answer every other thread but take a brief look through this forum’s history and notice how sporadic the Anet tags are, last one was about a month ago(btw where is Allie Murdock’s replacement?) and with the frequency that threads are deleted around here that is very telling. Some of the tagged threads on recent pages are from 9 months to a year ago. They’re not saying anything because they have nothing to say. That’s what is in store for WvWvW. The CDI thread business is just them throwing us a bone.

Whispers with meat.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

WvW is nothing more than a champion wxp farm.. some commanders make it a loot bag farm which is when you see me zergin otherwise I am normally roaming alone chasing orange swords and ganking zerker eles and rangers trying to make it to their blob…

But yer to me: WvW is for loot, PvP is for fun fights and PvE is that place I go to when I log in.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Never seen so much whines before one particular server get into bad position.
Maybe they think they’re destined to win and other result is not permitable?

It’s more like this scenario:
A 12 year old spoiled brat is punching and kicking a bunch of 5-year-old freely and without any sense of guilt. He also punches TWO older kids who’re 8 years old.
The TWO 8-year-old decide to work together and finally defeat the 12-year-old brat and kick him to the ground. Then the 12-year-old start crying and tell the teacher (Anet) that the TWO 8-year-old kids are bullying him, and want the teacher to do something about it.

And now he’s going door to door crying at every doorstep, hoping someone will help him against the mean, smaller, children, who aren’t letting him beat them up anymore. And he’s puzzled that nobody is sympathetic. Which makes him cry even harder.

if we follow this evolution, the mean kid will steal his daddies shotgun and go bananas on a shopping mall within 6 months…

just sayin…

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Blackjack.2083

Blackjack.2083

I don’t think they are saying anything because they don’t know yet what the changes to WvW are going to be. Season 2 happened to coincide with the rollout of the Megaserver implementation I believe, in part, to give them a few months to internally decide upon the course of WvW. I think the direction they want to take WvW has not been fully decided upon hence the absolute lack of communication. Nobody wants to say something that might not be true or followed up on so everyone is just keeping quiet. I think there are going to be some major changes to WvW following season 2…..

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

WvW metagame needs some variations to keep it interesting.

Like when the borderlands got bloodlust camps added, that kind of thing. I think that was a great idea.

Some themes along that line might include a dungeon area that only opens to the leader in points where special tokens can be farmed. Yes thinking darkness falls from daoc a bit here… so when the leadership swings the new leader can go clean out the old hanger ons for fun and profit.

Or a device that shuts down all teleporting in area except to the owner… can be destroyed also until it respawns 1 hr later. Would be a capture point.

A fourth realm (or even a whole 3 realm mix) might get access from time to time with a special objective such as massive bonus points for holding sm.

This kind of stuff would keep it very alive and could be switched on and off to keep it from being too annoying.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Wear a helmet.

typical soccer mom

Literal LOL at work.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Prysin.8542

the best conscept i could possibly think of regarding WvW would be to introduce random gambits for a limited period of time during the week.
How and what that would be, i dunno. But a random event/capture/defense triggering a mass gambit would be hillarious.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

How and what that would be, i dunno. But a random event/capture/defense triggering a mass gambit would be hillarious.

I have long thought the easiest solution to the unbalanced matches and the PPT problem it creates is to have multiple dynamic objectives rather than static structures. Servers would get points by completing and holding objectives that change each tick. There would be multiple objectives per map and this would force servers into splitting their forces or risk losing a lot of PPT. Objective difficulty could scale based on current server population imbalances.

This system solves all sorts of problems and would create a more engaging experience.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

I don’t think they are saying anything because they don’t know yet what the changes to WvW are going to be. Season 2 happened to coincide with the rollout of the Megaserver implementation I believe, in part, to give them a few months to internally decide upon the course of WvW. I think the direction they want to take WvW has not been fully decided upon hence the absolute lack of communication. Nobody wants to say something that might not be true or followed up on so everyone is just keeping quiet. I think there are going to be some major changes to WvW following season 2…..

Took the words out of my mouth. I think we’ll see some big changes after the end of this season.

[HUE]

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

boring, leagues to long and same servers nearly every week, Swiss style = Crap

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

And more Pve content…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Add Champ Train in WvW so we get more PvE player and thus fixes the population issues.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Svarty.8019

Within each league, it appears that some servers constantly dominate the matchups.

I believe the problem here is simply that there are too many servers per league. The differences in quality/coverage are blatant.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Real problem is incentives.

Big servers have an easier time completing the meta and get better rewards. They get more fights, more loot bags, more WvW achievement progress, and at the end of the season they get more shiny.

Everybody transfers to the big servers because that’s where the rewards are. (at least the PvE reason to transfer to big servers have been fixed).

The incentives that anet keeps offering to players (transfer to bigger servers and get more stuff) needs to stop like right now. Maybe even bribe players to xfer to the lower servers.

here are my suggestions:
1. No more transfers to top 3 servers.
2. Free Transfers to bottom 3 servers.
3. Top half servers get expensive servers, bottom half cheap transfers.

For Next leagues
1. No more leagues
2. Swiss matchups
3. Scoring changed: Winner 4 points, Second 2 points, 3rd 1 point

(It is necessary to change the scoring so that a 1st place and a third place beats 2 second places).

Rewards offered by tier: Gold Rewards to top 3rd, Silver Rewards to middle 3rd, Bronze to Bottom third.

If anet does a good job incentivizing the transfers to the bottom servers, then at least one bottom server will become a mutant transfer server with enough strength to shake up the status quo and cause some drama about who places where. Some drama is better than no drama which is what we have now.

PROBLEM: the problem with this suggestion is that the worst matchups happen in the first weeks (like #1 vs #24 overall, a total no fun blowout). These first weeks are when the achievement hunters show up, and there will be complaints. But after two weeks, the most unbalanced matchups will be gone and matchups will be meaningful. I will take that trade.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Logicx.5832

Logicx.5832

Within each league, it appears that some servers constantly dominate the matchups.

I believe the problem here is simply that there are too many servers per league. The difference in quality/coverage are blatant.

I know that using elements from other MMO’s isn’t popular in Guild Wars , I don’t like it myself but what if they’d assign server categories to a server.

So you get:
PvE
WvW/PvP
(and maybe even PvX)
Though they’d have to merge/lose some servers so that the WvW servers would actually get highly populated.
Just a very very vague idea I came up with and I know there’ll probably STILL be undermanned WvW servers. I didn’t put much thought on it so feel free to break it down or build further on to it

Zwartwerk – Human Mesmer
Gandara [EU] – Old & returning player

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

here are my suggestions:
1. No more transfers to top 3 servers.
2. Free Transfers to bottom 3 servers.
3. Top half servers get expensive servers, bottom half cheap transfers.

Sorry, but the free server transfers are what messed up this season. Some previously poor servers got stacked and are now ruling using coverage. The differential costs have been in place for a while and don’t really do anything – not when going to a higher server is rewarding enough to be worth the extra one-time cost. This isn’t really drama when they win every SINGLE week – its monotony.

Rewards offered by tier: Gold Rewards to top 3rd, Silver Rewards to middle 3rd, Bronze to Bottom third.

I really like this idea. The leagues have locked servers into fighting other servers that they aren’t well balanced against. If leagues were gone then servers could float up and down into a reward tier. I think some incentive does need to be made within tiers though. Perhaps something like this (numbers totally made up and not balanced)

300 tickets for gold tier
200 tickets for silver
100 for bronze

plus 25 tickets for each time your server placed first and 10 tickets for each time your server placed second.

Guild warrior for life!

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The old maps seriously lack variety and their age can be seen. The Borderland maps are a wasteland. The few people playing it now for PPT will soon be burned out and there will be nobody left to play there.

Eternal battleground can be improved and saved. EOTM the same, but the old borderland maps have to be completely redone or replaced.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

The old maps seriously lack variety and their age can be seen. The Borderland maps are a wasteland. The few people playing it now for PPT will soon be burned out and there will be nobody left to play there.

Eternal battleground can be improved and saved. EOTM the same, but the old borderland maps have to be completely redone or replaced.

The borderland maps are simply not as rewarding as EOTM or EBG and That is why hardly anyone plays them. Increase the rewards and then people will go back to the borderlands maps.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Svarty.8019

Real problem is incentives.

[..]
3. Scoring changed: Winner 4 points, Second 2 points, 3rd 1 point

(It is necessary to change the scoring so that a 1st place and a third place beats 2 second places).

No. The top server should get a WORSE reward than the bottom server. Crazy huh? Well… no. Think – who wants to be known as the bottom server? Nobody. We’d all prefer to be known as “The Winners of Season Three EU”. Rewards are just gravy. Get titles for winners in the game and we’re really talking!

I know I’ve said all that before but I think it’s important to reiterate it.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

I think the maps we have are great but they have definitely become a little bit stale. I’d love to see another EB style map, and maybe the lesser populated tiers can shift to having two EBs instead of 3 BL and 1 EB.

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I don’t know about you, but personally I think WvW has hit a new low, and the best part is, Devs don’t care, or if they do, they’re doing extremely poor job showing it.
Blow out matches, double teaming, stale match ups, server stacking encouragement before season two, just to name few issues.
I have no idea what they’re doing, but I’m starting to think even EA and Dice did better job “fixing” Battlefield 4.

There have been no fixes for WvW.

In fact, I’ve noticed that the normal “loot” that are given for camps and towers is lower than it was – not the cash, but the badges and the loot one can sell or salvage.

If I didn’t have 132% magic find, I’d be getting far less.

I’ve “looted” more spikes in the last month that I did in the past THREE months before it.

BAD RNG —-— BAD!

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

The borderland maps are simply not as rewarding as EOTM or EBG and That is why hardly anyone plays them. Increase the rewards and then people will go back to the borderlands maps.

This I agree with.

All maps besides EBG are awful, awful, awful and laid out so badly that no one wants to go there unless it’s an emergency or a guild run.

EBG is the map to copy or expand.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Prysin.8542

wait wait…. for the next league, lets screw it up.

we flip the scores around. Winner – 1 point, 2nd – 3 points and loser – 5 points.
Then we wouldn’t need to worry about stacked servers or anything. The less population, the better you would fare.

Bye bye overstacked servers. bye bye.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

The dev’s dont care from what we can see. Infract my post you know its true. If you did care youd communicate with us and give us more than 3-4 updates in 2 years.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

….but we got account bound WxP….now that is some amazing WvW content…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Vespirisa.1497

Vespirisa.1497

That was March 26th, 2012. I only remembered it since it was the only positive change since I started playing.

IoJ→KN→DB→SoR→CD→SoR→TC → SBI
Scrub D/D Ele. What’s server loyalty?

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

That was March 26th, 2012. I only remembered it since it was the only positive change since I started playing.

Be glad we at least got that before season 2….personally I wasn’t counting on it until 2045.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

(edited by Zylonite.5913)

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

WvW has been awful. I don’t know what it is like on other servers, but on SoS there are two scenarios.

1. Matched up with DB/Mag = chest bumps, back slapping and war cries proclaiming our dominance. Commanders on every map. Scouts in every tower.

2. Matched up with tier 1 Server = Hibernation. PvE. Better chance of seeing a UFO before spotting a commander in WvW

Preordained winners and losers before the match even starts causes great disinterest. Radical changes needed or it will be a ghost town out there.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Silverthorn.8576

Silverthorn.8576

the PPT, server vs server vs server and the weekly MU is an outdated system for me. As i already say, we should switch to a system with only reward when you attack/defend a tower/keep, faction vs faction vs faction (each guild chooses the faction) and forget the MU.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Be glad we at least got that before season 2….personally I wasn’t counting on it until 2045.

We got it 3-4 weeks into the season, when it was ready months before but they held it back cause they couldn’t release any improvements before the feature patch. So instead they distort the season by giving it to us in the middle.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

WvW is just a numbers game(if you have more you win). I fully expect anet to come along with mega servers for WvW and then it will die. The problem for anet seems to be resources to get the people they need and that is ncsofts fault this is the last game I play that has ncsoft involved thats for sure.

Discuss The State Of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

WvW used to be all i ever did.I would sit a day in EB if i had a day off and nothing else to do,i’d command for 15 – 19h straight.I cared about our PPT,i cared about winning,i cared about my server and its people..now i cant seem to give a kitten about anything at all.I’d always roam with a few friends at evenings after our guild events.Now i havnt been in EB for around a month or longer…

If i login at all,and see a 90+ Queue to Eb…I’m honestly not in the mood to do absolutely nothing for an hour or longer untill y queue finally pops,The queues,the constant zerging without end because people cant seem to do anything else,and the same old same old feeling whenever you get in wvw is getting old.I Very ocasionally ( once a week or so..thats becoming less even ) just login to roam with my guild [Kale]…All in all im getting terribly bored of it all. Also no news of anything ever gonna change in WvW or new maps being added is also a bit of a downer.And just.. SS-DD if you know what i mean.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)