Does spawn camping help or hurt the game ?

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

LOL there are already game mechanics in place that prevent it from happening no point to continue thread.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

hehe, I know what your answer would be, but i do find your competitive spirit amusing.
you need your own division :p lol

I’m actually speaking up for your kind of game play, you shouldn’t shoot your own position in the foot to compete vs me lol – Cheers

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I think it hurts if you’re crushing the other side and you actually want fights during the week. It’s easy to get bored and keep pushing when you have a weak matchup but sometimes better to let the other side recover a bit so you’ll have stuff to do and fights to be had later.

If they give up then WVW is more dead than usual for the week.

in WvW

Posted by: Lady Sapphirah.6234

Lady Sapphirah.6234

I still think people are too precious…

Spawn camping is good for the game because it is a tactic.

Can the people complaining say they have never spawn camped even once lol really? People will continue to do it, it cant be stopped and its not the fault of the game or the campers. If youre being spawn camped and dont like it figure out a way to deal with it… dont blame the campers.

I like being camped occasionally and I like spawn camping occasionally lol… guess Im weird.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I’m just curious of how different gamers / specifically Tiers think about spawn camping.

I personally think spawn camping separates casual play from competitive play. . So imo, it neither hurts nor helps the game, it’s just a different game mode.

Spawncamping is equal to kicking blind man while he is already bleeding in the ground.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I’m just curious of how different gamers / specifically Tiers think about spawn camping.

I personally think spawn camping separates casual play from competitive play. . So imo, it neither hurts nor helps the game, it’s just a different game mode.

ie – a tennis match ….in competition if a player can ace all the serves and shut out a match, its commendable and even sponsor worthy. In a casual game, if a player aces all the serves, it’s rude.

whats your opinion, and please say what tier you play on

I have played WVW since early launch, and I have been through several tiers and servers and done my share of both.

Spawncamping is ABSOLUTELY harmful to the game mode and the whole game by reducing its population. Period.

I have seen it used against me and have used it several times as a legit strategy, but those are very few exceptions, vast majority of it comes from flawed game mechanics, lack of population balance and does absolutely nothing, except deprive WVW of even more players, even faster.

You can make all the excuses and spew all sorts of B S in the world and perhaps, somewhere out there, there are some people who are stupid enough to actually believe it.

But what it all comes down to is very plain and simple:

Spawncamping = even less people in WVW.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Ricky.4706

Spawncamping is equal to kicking blind man while he is already bleeding in the ground.

you make that sound like a bad thing, if he was from a maguuma server he’d be ok with it lol

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Ogre.3124

Ogre.3124

ie – a tennis match ….in competition if a player can ace all the serves and shut out a match, its commendable and even sponsor worthy. In a casual game, if a player aces all the serves, it’s rude.

whats your opinion, and please say what tier you play on

I have played WVW since early launch, and I have been through several tiers and servers and done my share of both.

Spawncamping is ABSOLUTELY harmful to the game mode and the whole game by reducing its population. Period.

I have seen it used against me and have used it several times as a legit strategy, but those are very few exceptions, vast majority of it comes from flawed game mechanics, lack of population balance and does absolutely nothing, except deprive WVW of even more players, even faster.

You can make all the excuses and spew all sorts of B S in the world and perhaps, somewhere out there, there are some people who are stupid enough to actually believe it.

But what it all comes down to is very plain and simple:

Spawncamping = even less people in WVW.

Survival of the fittest here. If we weren’t spawncamping SoS/DH would still be whining that they’re losing so badly. The real issue here is that players don’t like losing. Losers will quit a competitive game no matter what. Maguuma is better than DH/SoS in every possible way. Your players are quitting more every day. Losing has consequences, you’ll have to deal with that as a server.

SoS/DHs’ players arent just leaving the game, they’re just leaving your server. Yesterday I’ve seen at least three DH that I recognized from the spawntrap who are now on Maguuma. The best players are realizing which server is worthy. Soon we will be in Tier 2 with the most action in WvW in years throwing around TC. At that moment you can sit there and karma train on empty BLs.

Maguuma

(edited by Ogre.3124)

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Pushing enemy’s back into their spawn is ok. But camping there with a lot of people including seige is lame as well. People can argue that there are other exits from spawn but that isn’t realy the point.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Lady Sapphirah.6234

If a team is playing a football match and they are hammering the opposition what are they gunna do? Awww geee the enemy is losing bad lets sit in the corner and have a picnic and let them catch up lol nope. They will hammer u more until you break. Its a tactic… nothing wrong with it.

in WvW

Lady Sapphirah.6234

Why do people always dummy spit and leave whene there is a thing they dont like, like spawncamping? who would leave because of that really lol

Dont wanna stand there and provide bags? Use ur brains and figure out how to do something else…

Toughen up princesses

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

If a team is playing a football match and they are hammering the opposition what are they gunna do? Awww geee the enemy is losing bad lets sit in the corner

Yes. In fact… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_rule

Typically at the professional level it is not needed because such sports are played on an even playing field where skill is somewhat normalized, which WvW is not.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Dont wanna stand there and provide bags? Use ur brains and figure out how to do something else…

I agree. I’ve spawn-camped before and gotten spawn-camped. I get bored after about 20 minutes. All you get most of the time are spikes. I got better things to do with my time.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Lady Sapphirah.6234

If a team is playing a football match and they are hammering the opposition what are they gunna do? Awww geee the enemy is losing bad lets sit in the corner

Typically at the professional level it is not needed because such sports are played on an even playing field where skill is somewhat normalized, which WvW is not.

Oooooh nvr heard of that one, will read that when I get a chance

in WvW

Posted by: Ogre.3124

Ogre.3124

“It is very rare in competitive sports beyond the high school level.”

Maguuma

(edited by Ogre.3124)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

“It is very rare in competitive sports beyond the high school level.”

“because such sports are played on an even playing field where skill is somewhat normalized, which WvW is not”

I don’t think you mean to compare WvW with it’s wide population imbalances and casual participation with college and professional level sports.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Fun Fact… There are three exits out of every spawn!!!

If you are getting “Spawn Camped” it’s because you want to be.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The way I look at spawn camping is very contextual.

If you have volatile matchups and want to move up and, if spawn camping helps you achieve a more desirable matchup, then it’s a good thing, for both sides, since the weaker server will get a better matchup the next week.

If you’re in a stagnant matchup (T2/T1/T8 NA [ordered that way to avoid censor]), then it’s a bad thing since it just gets boring.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

(edited by Reverence.6915)

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Spawn camping is one of the worst things to do in terms of fair-play.

If the other server has been a jerk… Okay I’ve done it myself. But there is simply no achievement behind it.

If you wanna make it interesting let half of your zerg stand behind and see if the other half is strong enough. Good practice.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

Spawn camping begets spawn camping and unfortunately I’m as guilty as the next person.I’m trying personally change because it’s not cool.Like flogging a lame horse.But it seems that certain unspoken codes of conduct get thrown out in the heat of battle.I can see it as a tactical exercise while taking a keep but once its taken that’s enough ,time to move on.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Can the people complaining say they have never spawn camped even once lol really?

I have never.

I actually log into game and yell at our guys if there’s posts about them doing it. Super mom-nag-mode. I’m not alone.

Thankfully people are respectful and stop doing it. But that’s EU. We have good folks there, who want to fight. (You’ll notice the bulk of the people calling spawncamping kittened are from EU )

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Spawn camping imho is a very viable tactic, demoralizing your enemies and make them not want to fight you anymore. Thus giving way for easier steamrolls of PPT. But yeah as alot of people said spawn camping is a viable tactic and should be used time to time to achieve one’s goals, that is not the problem in WvW.

The main problem is the mindset and the other tactics the skill-less kittenters use to win in WvW these days now those tactics are what keeps players like myself from coming back to this game at all. P2W WvW and stacking servers just to get sure and dominate wins on the other hand…. yeah thats a discussion for another thread and I will not put my views on that matter in this tread.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in WvW

Posted by: casius van.5186

casius van.5186

I logged in because the spawn camping salt is ludicrous. Almost every spawn has 3, that’s 1-2-3, exits. If you’re tired of getting spawn camped, go out the other kitten door.

in WvW

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Spawn Camping. It’s viable, only because it takes two sides to allow this to happen. I mean, there are 4 Border Lands, and 3 points of access for 3 of them, 2 points for one. that 11 Points of access, there is no way an opponent could cover all of them. So if a side opts to let their opponent spawn camp them, that it their choice.

It’s effect is only a sign of vastly superior numbers at the moment. Once the numbers on the opposing side die down, the whole game can change and the other side can get spawn camped. It’s all a matter of numbers and coverage.

I personally, only entertained a Spawn Camp for Mist Invader Daily, because setting up a AC and a Treb to attack people Spawn Camping, was a n easy way to get 3 kills, then I jumped BL’s and went back top flipping camps and towers in other places. Often if they have the numbers to spawn camp, that means everyone is stacking on one BL, leaving the others light and open.

It’s only a good tactic, for the people willing to let it be used against them.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

DH maguuma situation has been fun/ frustrating. fun in the sense we dont have to go far away from spown to have fight. i mean… the really have nothing to brag about. every time we have a commander we just farm them at out spown so thats fun and its good.

on the other hand, it becomes frustrating when we decide to take our keep back. maguuma will put ridiculous amounts of siege upgrades on it, and it is in a way just stupid to see all those maguuma “fighters” run back to our keep and hump siege, emergency wp’s, buffed npc’s (yes i said it and thats what they do), chilling for, turtle banners… they are just bad when DH has a tag on map. on the other hand, it is quite easy to take our towers back and this is where we usually get our fights and see what these maguuma boys are actually made of… i was not impressed. they sure know how to run though. from anza to smc cannon in 10 sec guys. 10 kittening seconds!

in WvW

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

Spawn camping really is a non factor. You have multiple exits that you can go out from and roam if that’s what you want to do.

However from what I’ve seen so far from the match-up that is simply not what DH wants to do. They want to mosey out of their spawn and ppt down some towers and their keeps.

I’ve spent the vast majority of my playtime over on the Sos side of ebg since I find spawn camping boring and because I almost never see any DH bothering to venture out and roam their own side of the map. Even when they aren’t being spawn camped they aren’t there but instead in a larger force somewhere.

This is from a solo roamers perspective so it might be different from other people’s views. But no matter the situation I’ve never felt demoralized or hurt by spawn camping for or against my server. I simply slip out a side and relish the fact I have the entire map to find good roaming fights and not the 1/3 of the map I have currently.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Spawn camping absolutely hurts the game.

As people have mentioned it demoralizes your opponent and makes them not want to fight you anymore. This is the worst thing that can happen in a PvP game – making your opponents not want to PvP.

in WvW

Posted by: godz raiden.2631

godz raiden.2631

Hurts. I don’t care that there are other exits. I don’t care what reasoning behind encouraging it exists. These two weeks with Maguuma have really turned me off from WvW. I just don’t care anymore. I’ve seen what goes on now first hand at the top tiers and to be honest if that’s the way WvW is supposed to go down I don’t want to bother with it. I’ll stick with more fun and more rewarding alternatives.

They’ll clap I’m sure as it’s icing on the cake for them to see somebody they were able to frustrate enough to boot off of WvW. So be it…

No, we won’t clap and be happy about you leaving. Instead of quitting after getting stuck in your spawn we wish that more of you would try to change your builds, playstyle, or try to improve so you can fight back more efficiently. You keep acting like everyone on Mag is just some kitten who enjoys watching you suffer, but there are plenty of us on the server who actually want you on DH to put better fights.

You’re too pessimistic in your perception of getting spawn camped to improve yourself so it doesn’t continue to happen. We want you to come out and fight. We don’t want you taking your keep, spending all day and night placing siege in it, and then fighting us only when you have AC fire, Trebs, cannons, and ballistas raining down on us. You’re in Tier 3 now. It’s not Tier 1 or Tier 2. It’s not that bad, however, we’re not playing this game mode to make things a walk through the park for you. If you can’t develop a willingness to fix whatever problems is causing your server to fail consistently enough to be spawn camped day-in, day-out, I suggest you tank and go back to Tier 4.

Godz Raiden (Thief)
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Sigh, all these posts about multiple exits… if you have Kujo outside your car, you have 5 possible exists (4 doors, and a trunk), assuming you’re a poor defenseless woman (like in the movie), would you go outside? lol….. Just putting things in a different perspective. And if this reference goes over your head… um, don’t worry about it.

Anyway, no one is saying it isn’t a legitimate strategy, but do you really feel like you need to? If you stop spawn camping, is your map gonna suddenly flip? Is your zerg gonna get wiped?

Few instances I would consider spawn camping necessary, even less so on the current maps and matchups.

in WvW

Posted by: Sus.3610

Sus.3610

I personally discourage it. I think it’s classless. My guild got into a spawn camping situation on our BL last night and I made sure we were well back from spawn and even took the camp nearby. Did the SF group keep pushing out to us? Yes. We were not, however, keeping them from leaving their spawn to maybe go a different direction and do something else successfully.

(currently T6)

Barricka
Leader of [GIT] Git Off My Lawn
Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Well maybe now with the combined servers, we shall see how things go with Spawn Camping. As it see, spawn camping is only the byproduct of vastly superior numbers, with that fixed, or changed, the issue of Spawn Camping might totally go away.

We shall see.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

in WvW

Posted by: Knob.6835

Knob.6835

Does anyone not from maguuma agree with spawn camping?

in WvW

Ricky.4706

from what i’ve seen, a few, from t3 and up.

It would make sense that with a larger population, it becomes less offensive and more strategic. A large population can afford to entertain a fight at the camp and still have multiple teams capping in bl’s and using side exits, so it can be a distraction tactic as well. It does come down to population, when your spawn camp, your side exits and borderlands are covered by the enemy.

maguuma is talking about side exits, and bls…..but maguuma also has the population to cover all corners…..what makes matters worse is the 2nd opponent takes advantage of the scenario and caps on the camped server in fear of retaliation from the larger server doing the spawn camping. so in essence it’s a 2 v 1 – despite that it wasn’t intended to be.

maguuma forgets that they are not the only enemy on the field when they post in favor of it, but in reality, the 3rd server ends up attacking camped server and only defending against maguuma. thus double teaming indirectly and exacerbating the issue.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

from what i’ve seen, a few, from t3 and up.

It would make sense that with a larger population, it becomes less offensive and more strategic. A large population can afford to entertain a fight at the camp and still have multiple teams capping in bl’s and using side exits, so it can be a distraction tactic as well. It does come down to population, when your spawn camp, your side exits and borderlands are covered by the enemy.

maguuma is talking about side exits, and bls…..but maguuma also has the population to cover all corners…..what makes matters worse is the 2nd opponent takes advantage of the scenario and caps on the camped server in fear of retaliation from the larger server doing the spawn camping. so in essence it’s a 2 v 1 – despite that it wasn’t intended to be.

maguuma forgets that they are not the only enemy on the field when they post in favor of it, but in reality, the 3rd server ends up attacking camped server and only defending against maguuma. thus double teaming indirectly and exacerbating the issue.

I’m not part of the SoS EBG crew but I can assure that most of our commanders get their kicks out of hitting Maguuma. DH doesn’t bring much fight and is also a non-factor in the PPT game…though it’s not quite as wet noodle as SBI, so that’s cool.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

We saw a lot of spawn camping when YB made their T1 push and we’re seeing more now TC (both from TC and the Rebellion) are making the same push.

That’s because it’s the same players/guilds doing it again. They are a minority group of poor sports.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

I’m not part of the SoS EBG crew but I can assure that most of our commanders get their kicks out of hitting Maguuma. DH doesn’t bring much fight and is also a non-factor in the PPT game…though it’s not quite as wet noodle as SBI, so that’s cool.

the colored dots tell a different story.

in WvW

Posted by: PrinceHades.3615

PrinceHades.3615

Mag guilds run 25-30, Darkhaven guilds run 10-15. mags raiting is 1,734 Dh is 1,617

And theres no point in going into the BL’s to PPT when we want out of the tier. Which is why theres not alot of guilds running in the BL’s nor fighting in EB.. So its not that DH doesnt have the skill when you obviously outnumber the server.

Stay trashy mag

in WvW

Ricky.4706

unfortunately i see DH jumping into t3 often now, because we do have some great pvpr’s, just not big numbers or big wvw guilds. It’s all good though, we’ll figure it out as we usually do

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

#spawncamping
/sit
/sit
/sit
#corpsejump
#siegethrowing

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: DiscordOfSound.2190

DiscordOfSound.2190

Well, now, let’s actually look at the schematics of the WvW map. True, there are more than one exit from spawn, but looking at Red’s side, there are only two. You actually have to discredit the “exit” that moves out towards Veloka as it is really doesn’t lead far enough away from spawn to make a difference. The moment you’re on that ledge, you can be spotted and might as well throw whatever plan you have out he window. The passage towards Mendons is an extremely viable path, as enemy players can’t spot you, and you have three openings to go out of. This gives you a fair shot at the tower and camp.

To answer OP’s question. No, it’s really not good tactic. Here’s why. It’s no longer competitive game play at that point. It wastes time, and the people who are encouraging it to demoralize players (meaning actively wanting to actually see people fail or quit instead of playing) may actually have some underlying mental health issues, which have been discussed in articles related to psychology and video games/gambling/addiction/etc.

The problem is, people are taking this game far too seriously instead of enjoying it and letting others enjoy it. If the only enjoyment someone gets from this game is how many players you can kill, this probably isn’t the game for you. People also forget that there’s a number of strategies that can be used, and instead insist on mindless fights.

When my server decides to simply stay in spawn and run into a much larger enemy group, I do one of three things. I either go out to recapture camps/towers, I will go to the other Borderlands to ppt, or I just get back to PvE.

And, honestly, I am more unhappy with my server crying about being spawn camped instead of doing something else than I am at Mag. Between the guilds and players who jumped ship when we got up to T3 and those who just want to fight instead of contributing to PPT, it doesn’t make the game enjoyable. Server population has dwindled, but there are still things that can be done. EB isn’t the only map. If the enemy has a strong foot hold in your keep, move on and start taking towers.

Darkhaven server
[NaL]Neurological is always recruiting new members.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

if you really want to understand whats going on, google the big guild names in maguuma. their history says it all, it’s actually old news….not only in gw2 either.

DH is a great server, maguuma is not a normal server. I repeat, I don’t pick my #bff’s lightly. (bestie foes 4ever ) :p

in WvW

Posted by: LonePanda.9283

LonePanda.9283

Since this thread is mostly Darkhaven tears, I decided to do some math.
In the time since reset, approximately 96 hours have passed. In that time, DH has massed 5,463 kills. 5,463/96 = 56.91 kills/hour. This shows that Darkhaven as a server only achieves one kill each minute, which is absolutely terrible. I would uninstall if I was that bad.

Maybe Darkhaven should uninstall or go back to PvE, they’re obviously not competent enough to be playing this game, nor mature since they can’t even handle a wee little spawncamp.

Siege Burial Expert – #MagSwag

in WvW

Ricky.4706

what are you talking about, that’s great considering just about everything that hits your special forces comes back as invulnerable lol……technically yall shouldn’t be dying at all heh!!

in WvW

Posted by: Kimiroar.5019

Kimiroar.5019

I hope whichever server gets allied with Mag quickly learns to adapt to being an “evil server” or they won’t survive very long ;)

Make Maguumerica Great Again

in WvW

Ricky.4706

that’s an excellent point, not only with maguuma, but all servers in general. each has their own play style, and ….the whole alignment idea would balance out the population into like minded players. otherwise there could be a mass population shift because x server hates y server in the match up – so there is a chance matching up servers might cause a mass transfer – it would be the same mess it is now with band-wagoning – anet would make lots of transfer money – players would complain about / bandwagon hype – training again, and how now their once friendly server is full of evil players looking to skip long ques.

the alignment approach would be a very efficient way to balance population for all players to enjoy wvw in a sandbox environment with like minded players :p

3 divisions

evil – competitive – esport
neutral – casual / competitive
good – casual

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Kimiroar.5019

Kimiroar.5019

Or maybe

Good/Capitalist – competitive/ “esports” (is that a thing? lol)
Neutral/Switzerland – casual/competitive
Evil/Communist – casual/PvE

Make Maguumerica Great Again

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I have a pretty strict “red gets dead” policy but even I don’t interrupt duels or hang around enemy spawns to gank.

Not that it is “bad” since players can generally go around spawn campers but IMO it is trolling unnecessarily and typically drives players off a map.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Ricky.4706

rofl !! that would make anet a dictatorship!!

evil will do anything it takes to win!!! #lots of kitten hurt.

neutral – just likes playing hard – don’t start none, won’t be none – it wouldn’t be ‘beneath’ us to use your same dirty tricks against you! – but we’ll play fair if you do too!
#more variety

good – don’t taze me bro! I’m just having fun karma training! I’ll race you! #pew pew

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

if you think about it, it would also increase the value of matches…….the #1 server of the 3 divisions – are in a bi-yearly tournament. ^.^

in WvW

Posted by: Waage.2047

Waage.2047

Tier 1 NA BG. I do not spawncamp in any way shape or form. Winning is boring what matters are the fights.

Now i dont mind being spawn camped i will find a way to break it and take what i want back, but the simpel truth is that it is boring to do. Now a few Edge lords will defend it, but as soon as they have to fight a real server they will scurry back into what ever hole they came out of.

[RK] – Guild Leader and awesome Warrior – BG