Downscale ascended to exotic for WvW

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Doing so would invalidate the time people spend acquiring that gear. I think the heart of your post is in the right place, but what we would rather do is make possible for people to get the gear by playing WvW with a sprinkling of PvE, rather than the other way around.

You know waht would make us believe this?
Actualy doing something that indicates you´re on your way to that.

Right now it´s just a ridiculous notion that anyone would wvw to get anything. Any amount of time spend in wvw increases the time you need to get anything you want. 1 night of pve will give you far more rewards than week of wvw will do.

I too am looking forward to this.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

You know, like how when As(s) weapons and trinkets were introduced, the time I spent on my multiple exotic sets was invalidated.

I appreciate your concern.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Doing so would invalidate the time people spend acquiring that gear. I think the heart of your post is in the right place, but what we would rather do is make possible for people to get the gear by playing WvW with a sprinkling of PvE, rather than the other way around.

So you’re okay with the WvW game being about gear and stat advantages, rather than skill or fun? Good to know that I will be at a continual disadvantage in WvW because I refuse to grind for gear. I specifically came to this game to avoid gear grinds.

Good thing they never said anything about gear grinds or treadmills, oh wait…

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I play mostly WvW and when and now I’m making 2nd legendary lol

So no.

I’m no skill noob and I like killing underleveled and undergeared asuras. Go sPvP if you want equal fights.

And had you pved the whole time you´d be doing your 12th…

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in WvW

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

But by adding Ascended in, you invalidated the time I spent acquiring 5 different gear sets for the various builds I play.

So who’s time is more valuable? Theirs or mine? Because that’s the game you’re playing with this approach. Right now, the answer is that their time is more valuable. The time of the grinder is more valuable. Since that’s the answer, I’m not logging in as of late. I’m not interested in WvWvW. And I don’t care about the WvWvW league.

People who play alts and play multiple builds have a right to play the game their way just as much as others.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

/thread

:(

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

/thread

:(

My disappointment has been increasing over the past month. I wish they would just come out and state their intent and future plans so I can figure out whether or not I want to spend more time with this game.

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

But currently it’s just not possible.

You’re forcing crafting and PvE on WvW players. WvW feels like a gigantic waste of time still.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: IMAGE.1509

IMAGE.1509

Who’s this DevonCarver guy? Does he even play this game? Possible for people to get gears by playing WvW? And having PVE in WvW? WTF is he on?

in WvW

Posted by: Reymis.2158

Reymis.2158

Just saying, I got my legendary weapon to show off in WvW and kill people with it. It isn’t like everyone cannot get the gear. On a side note, I believe there is another post where Devon Carver states that WvW is not fair. I think that pretty much sums it up ;p.

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

I need to have that reasoning explained to me. WvW is not currently fair. Ok. A simple statement. I don’t understand, however, how that excuses or justifies unbalancing it further through rank upgrades, Bloodlust buffs and gear.

in WvW

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Yup, definately time to pack up and look for something else.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in WvW

etiolate.9185

Just saying, I got my legendary weapon to show off in WvW and kill people with it. It isn’t like everyone cannot get the gear. On a side note, I believe there is another post where Devon Carver states that WvW is not fair. I think that pretty much sums it up ;p.

It’s not about fair. It’s about the health of the game. If being less fair is less healthy for WvWvW then it’s a bad road to take.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

This is a horrible idea. I am glad Devon has responded and said it will not happen.

If you want things to be even, go to PvP. WvW is about chaos as it should be.

in WvW

style.6173

Who’s this DevonCarver guy? Does he even play this game? Possible for people to get gears by playing WvW? And having PVE in WvW? WTF is he on?

You clearly do not play WvW. Yes, you can earn everything you need for an ascended through WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Bunnymancer.6901

Bunnymancer.6901

Yes. Uneven PvP in any form where a large time investment in another form, such as PvE, can be done to gain a significant advantage, is bs.

in WvW

Posted by: Haworth.4561

Haworth.4561

Yes.

Thanks for making this topic.

Making the playing field more even, by downscaling ascended to exotic, would do a lot of good for WvW, in my opinion.

I’ve really enjoyed playing in WvW, but grinding isn’t excatly my favorite cup of tea in games. I mostly play games just to relax a bit.

Piken Square – Unofficial EU roleplaying server.

in WvW

IMAGE.1509

“…playing WvW with a sprinkling of PvE…”

PVE just got 1.5 new maps – EB and BL.

in WvW

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

First, some of us don’t want to do any PVE grinding to get BiS for WvW.

Second, by making it much harder and slower to do the majority of mat collection in WvW and make it possible to do in ways that don’t advance your server (swapping keeps), you hurt WvW badly. The population will be out doing PVE, chasing stats, a lot of us simply won’t bother on such an uneven playing field, and those actually in WvW will be less about tactics and more about acquisition. WvW is in enough trouble without this, too.

Then I read something about a guild buff in WvW, if I read that correctly, well nail in coffin.

This was supposed to be a play your way paradise. It’s simply not.

Of course I knew that awhile back, when I realized I had to manually join a team in WvW and PVE to get more loot. Defeating the entire purpose of just joining in and playing.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

in WvW

IMAGE.1509

You clearly do not play WvW. Yes, you can earn everything you need for an ascended through WvW.

Then why do people need to PVE to get theirs? Just because you eventually can doesn’t make it feasible. Buying two lottery tickets mathematically gives twice the chance to win compared to one. But practically, you’re better off getting struck by lightning, whether you have one or two tickets.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

The man already said a week or two ago, that you cannot play WvW and expect to get 100% of the game from it. Which to many (myself included) was a disappointing slap in the face.

(I am paraphrasing because I am too lazy to find the quote). But essentially he did say that one should expect to have to leave WvW and participate in PVE. Which is inline with the the grinding associated with Legendary crafting etc.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Then why do people need to PVE to get theirs? Just because you eventually can doesn’t make it feasible. Buying two lottery tickets mathematically gives twice the chance to win compared to one. But practically, you’re better off getting struck by lightning, whether you have one or two tickets.

No one needs to PvE to get it, you want to PvE if you want the item in the fastest way possible. As it stands now I’m 4 or so days from making 2 Ascended stakitten . 100% in WvW. Yes it will take a long time for me to get all my weapon sets but realistically the time sink to get a ascended weapon is much better then getting a amulet/ring/accessory was.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: KAJIMARU.3108

KAJIMARU.3108

Dev’s could just give us a tree branch to fight in WvW just to be fair … right?

in WvW

style.6173

*Sigh Tell me which components you need for an ascended that you can’t get through WvW. That’s the entire point. You can get everything.

The fact is that ascended is a grind regardless of whether you do it in WvW or PvE.

in WvW

IMAGE.1509

Just because you technically can, doesn’t mean you can.

in WvW

Bunnymancer.6901

The man already said a week or two ago, that you cannot play WvW and expect to get 100% of the game from it. Which to many (myself included) was a disappointing slap in the face.

(I am paraphrasing because I am too lazy to find the quote). But essentially he did say that one should expect to have to leave WvW and participate in PVE. Which is inline with the the grinding associated with Legendary crafting etc.

Having fun in WvW isn’t going to sell any gems, now is it?

in WvW

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

*Sigh Tell me which components you need for an ascended that you can’t get through WvW. That’s the entire point. You can get everything.

The fact is that ascended is a grind regardless of whether you do it in WvW or PvE.

Yes, because trading objectives is awesomesauce.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in WvW

Posted by: Master Fuhon.1068

Master Fuhon.1068

First we add the system; then we defend the system being there with references to things that could have only happened after the system was added. That’s because the strongest argument for further developing a system only begins to exist in a place where it’s been predominantly implemented to the detriment of a contradictory system.

Signed,
Your Authority on Logical Authoritativeness
Sir Cular Refrence

Remember, the most important thing to do after you make a mistake is to keep piling on in the same direction. When you can’t beat the things life throws at you, create your own problems and define what your solutions to them need to be, so that you can continue to win. Eventually, your self-esteem will just push you through any obstacle that you put in your own way, and you’ll be miles removed from the location where the other problems existed.

in WvW

etiolate.9185

First we add the system; then we defend the system being there with references to things that could have only happened after the system was added. That’s because the strongest argument for further developing a system only begins to exist in a place where it’s been predominantly implemented to the detriment of a contradictory system.

Signed,
Your Authority on Logical Authoritativeness
Sir Cular Refrence

Remember, the most important thing to do after you make a mistake is to keep piling on in the same direction. When you can’t beat the things life throws at you, create your own problems and define what your solutions to them need to be, so that you can continue to win. Eventually, your self-esteem will just push you through any obstacle that you put in your own way, and you’ll be miles removed from the location where the other problems existed.

A tip of the hat to you, Sir.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Having fun in WvW isn’t going to sell any gems, now is it?

And I think that’s what it comes down to. Well if I’d been having fun all this time and playing how I wanted to play, as we were told we could, I would have spent a lot on this game. As it is, no. But apparently my idea of ‘a lot’ is less than what they expect treadmill hamsters to spend. So be it, this is their business. But it’s my money, and I’ll spend it elsewhere.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

and 2 weeks ago:

The mats will absolutely drop in WvW. In addition, generally speaking, we are putting a heavier emphasis on finding long-term solutions to redressing the reward imbalance between PvE and WvW. I can’t claim they will ever be 100% equal all the time, but we would like it to never be the case that you are choosing between playing WvW and getting good rewards. The two should be one in the same.

What is wrong with the idea of getting WvW gear in WVW without having to go to PvE?

SPvP players never have to step foot out of sPvP. PvE players never have to leave their PvE zones to get their gear.

How about strip back pieces from everyone in the game, and require people to come to WvW to get them? Or maybe have metals used for crafting only drop in WvW? Because it’s stupid. Same common sense should apply the other way.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Bunnymancer.6901

Seems the direction of WvW is changing at about the same interval as my washing schedule

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And here we are again. People that simply don’t understand the simply fact that WvW has never been stated nor supposed to be fair.
If you want fair fights you go to sPvP.

WvW is about siege, tactics and big battles. There is nothing fair in war.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

What is wrong with the idea of getting WvW gear in WVW without having to go to PvE?

SPvP players never have to step foot out of sPvP. PvE players never have to leave their PvE zones to get their gear.

Well, technically PvE players do have to go to the WvW maps to get their Gifts of Exploration to make legendary weapons, but that’s a pretty modest time investment compared to the amount of time a WvW player has to spend in PvE to get reasonable access to crafting materials, consumables and equipment that are useful in WvW.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in WvW

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

So you’re okay with the WvW game being about gear and stat advantages, rather than skill or fun? Good to know that I will be at a continual disadvantage in WvW because I refuse to grind for gear. I specifically came to this game to avoid gear grinds.

…this Hyperbole assumes that there’s not an even larger advantage in sheer numbers regardless of tactics, coordination, and more importantly: skill.

Raw Skill, either inherent, or practiced, is the reason there’s a competition even in PvE to see who can solo a Giganticus Lupicus the fastest and gear is one of the LAST deciding factors there. How fast was your time? How many Towers do you solo a day? If it’s not in the top then maybe you need to preface your comments on skill vs. gear with some kind of disclaimer first just so we’re more clear on what specific area you feel gear would make a bigger difference than sheer Attendance? It’s important because you’re comparing apples and oranges hence the qualifiers I used above that actually apply damage to whatever is in the AOE. ….that’s right, I’m using the 5-target cap mechanic against your example… In other words: why are you arguing GEAR, when sheer numbers gives ya more armor THAN ARMOR & SKILL GIVES?

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

My concern Devon is, that Burst builds get the most out of this. A backstabk of 7k will now do like 7,5-8k. The extra armor one can get does not offset this by much. Even with ascended armors (+5%) the formula doesn’t allow to counter this small on paper, massive in actual play power boost to thiefs. Are there any concerns to ‘keep’ thiefs in the right stop? It’s already out of hand how many ganking thiefs are around and with the orb buff even more will come alive, then to add orb buff + ascended power creep = to much, thiefs will oneshot even warriors. It’s over the top. I think ascended in wvw is ok for all except thief. You may call this tunnel visison, but backstab & co have by FAR the highest modifiers in game. And slight boost to them in power, makes a big difference in outcome. Backstab should be capped at some point. It’s by far the most crazy skill effect in game, and should not be allowed to further power creep. No even by ‘seemingly innocent’ 5%.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in WvW

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

I’d be happy if WvW players could get WvW-only ascended gear via WvW. This gear would be usable only in WvW, obviously, but it’d be obtainable via badges. Seems like a win/win/win for everyone involved.

WvWers win because they can fight on a more even playing field. PvErs win because they’ll already have ascended gear so they don’t need to waste badges (and their ascended gear will be better). A.net wins because ppl will need to buy more bank/bag space for the extra gear, and more transmutation stones if they want to customize their WvW look.

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

This making it possible for people playing WvW with only sprinkling of PvE sounds good. When does it go live?

As it stands, you get a much better output from spamming CoF and dragons than playing WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Is it possible to acquire an ascended weapon just by playing WvW then? Not just the RNG chest, but the actual crafting materials etc….

I am also puzzled by why all the WvW rank chests give blue/green armor when you can do a PvE level 15 event get two rares from the chests???

In summary, Why do you hate WvW players so much.

Many thanks for not removing my post.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Assuming they were still together, you could go and get your whole 50 man group in ascendeds and 20 RG in greens would still wipe you. WvW is not about gear and ascended gear does not make it about gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Also, let’s downscale Exotic to rare because that’s unfair. Don’t stop there? Ok, next let’s downscale rare to masterwork because those are cheaper! Still too much grind? Ok, I’ll take those masterworks down to Fine.

Great idea actually! You know I had some of the best battles ever in the beginning when everyone was upleveled and wearing Fine armor. When no one had food or really knew how to play. It was just fun.

I hope SBI gets into the gold league and gets a match with SoS and JQ. We could re-create the famous Siege of Greenbriar.

in WvW

Stice.5204

Is it possible to acquire an ascended weapon just by playing WvW then? Not just the RNG chest, but the actual crafting materials etc….

Yes, it would be possible. All the tier 7 crafting materials are available from capturing supply camps, towers and keeps. You won’t make dragonite ore or bloodstone dust at even 1/10 the rate of someone who goes waypoint-hopping to autoattack world bosses and champions but at least they exist.

The biggest problem would be getting enough tier 6 material (especially ectoplasm) to craft up to 500 skill in the first place as those aren’t realistically available in WvW except via the trading post.

Guardian, Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Actions speak louder than words. Since ascended gear was added almost a year ago very little has been done to make ascended gear equally available between both PvE and WvW. Guild Commendations are by far the best method to acquire ascended accessories, I don’t even think it’s possible to get an ascended back slot in WvW alone. Laurels are fine for both WvW and PvE although the price reduction when using badges hardly makes up for the fact that a WvW player will have to use laurels for rings as well as amulets (and accessories in addition to all that ecto I’m sure WvW players have stockpiled from all the great loot that drops there). I’ve gotten several ascended rings from daily fractal chests, I’ve never gotten one from a WvW chest and that was months ago.

Ascended crafting is an embarrassingly desperate attempt to flush resources out of the economy and will likely be more difficult for primarily WvW players to level up let alone acquire the weapons themselves.

When ascended rings were first added last year the devs commented on the forums thakittenwas a mistake to add it to the game without giving access to the rings from multiple formats. Since then they repeated their mistake with Guild Commendations and they never fixed the ascended back item issue. The shared resource to acquire most ascended trinkets (laurels) being a daily resource only further hurts the system.

I primarily PvE but I still don’t see the actions over the last year as reasonable attempts to make ascended items fairly available to WvW players. I don’t care what you’d like to do, I only care about what you actually do.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

I primarily PvE but I still don’t see the actions over the last year as reasonable attempts to make ascended items fairly available to WvW players. I don’t care what you’d like to do, I only care about what you actually do.

Speaking as someone who has only gotten Ascended gear via WvW vendors, I’d say that’s nonsense. Speaking as a developer, we are continuing to make this better, which is not to say perfect. There will be more ways to acquire the ascended mats as part of the season and we will look into adding yet additional ways after that.

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This sounds like they want to increase the rewards for WvW to be more on par with PvE (which is severely needed). I’m all for that. I would MUCH rather be playing WvW than PvE, but to get what players want, they are putting themselves at a large disadvantage reward wise to go do WvW.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

YEs pls… Make it so possible that I could actually imagine gearing my 6 active toons that use multiple builds each sometime in this century..

<3

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

OP claims people will leave has a poll. 3000 thread views 140+ replies at the time I type this and 28 people voted? Not a hot button issue.

I make my ascended staff for my necro my bleed damage goes up 0 my burn damage goes up 0 my poison goes up 0. I don’t have direct damage on my necro.

Part of the appeal of WvW is that you can bring your gear into WvW. Why not just turn WvW into sPvP with amulets and your armor doesn’t matter at all? Some people would like that some wouldnt like that.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in WvW

Stice.5204

How about starting with the fact that I have opened about 200 WvW rank up chests between my various characters and have received a grand total of 1 exotic and 0 ascended items from them and yet hopping around to various waypoints and autoattacking world bosses at near zero risk will usually yield an exotic item about every 25 kills or so?

Guardian, Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Down scale all gear to white.
Down scale all levels to 2.
Down scale all NPCs to rabbits.
Down scale all walls to slightly annoying inclines.
Down scale all WXP to not exist.
Down scale all food and potions to not exist.
Upscale all classes to Brightwizards.

Tada. Perfectly fair.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

@Vena
Love the last one.

Part of the joy of open world pvp is that you have to invest in your character to be in the top. That makes pve bearable, since you know that you are experiencing it and furthering your character’s ability to pvp. If you remove the link between wvw and pve, I would no longer have a reason to pve, which is inherently bad. I now have nothing to do in game if I get bored of WvW (like this week, where I am in Japan and can only play at odd hours. Dragonbrand owns everything when I’m on, and there is NOTHING to do in WvW) and will likely log off or be disenchanted with the game quicker.

Please anet, don’t separate WvW from pve. As an old school gamer this system has worked previously and works now, and it should not be changed. I want to invest in my character and see returns, even if that means I have to plan gear aquisitions and step into the rest of the game world to get it. If I wanted perfectly fair, I would play something that is not an MMO.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand