Duels in the wrong place...

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Recently, when roaming in WvW, I see many people dueling. Or at least shouting at me, when I interfered in a duel. I get it, when some1 duels in common places. But come on, dueling right next to a big zerg fight around a tower?

It annoys the hell out of me. I see an ally in trouble (maybe was part of the zerg and got isolated) and think I can help him. I do so and he asks me, how I dare interrupt a duel. For crying out loud, if you wanna duel, go to the windmill, there you won’t be disturbed. But stay away from objectives and dolly paths.

There was this ele even. He defeated me after a long fight but let me res after our fight and bowed to me. I wasn’t intending a duel, I attacked him, while he was gathering iron and I got punished for it. Then he let me res, so that I could go on, kill other players and the dollies, who just passed me. That is just stupid.

Some people seem to have some kind of fair play 1v1 mentality. That is neither, what the game is designed for, nor the objective in WvW. If you insist on dueling, then please stay away, from where roamers and scouts do their job. Otherwise I will keep interfering.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

When I duel anywhere in WvW, and I do it a lot, I forgo my right to be angry at anybody who would interrup the fight. It comes with inherent risk. Assume those risks or go
away…

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

When I duel anywhere in WvW, and I do it a lot, I forgo my right to be angry at anybody who would interrup the fight. It comes with inherent risk. Assume those risks or go
away…

Thanks. Many people aren’t so understanding.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

away…

I agree. Folks have no reason to get angry with players who kill an enemy.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

There was this ele even. He defeated me after a long fight but let me res after our fight and bowed to me. I wasn’t intending a duel, I attacked him, while he was gathering iron and I got punished for it. Then he let me res, so that I could go on, kill other players and the dollies, who just passed me. That is just stupid.

How is that stupid? He won the fight, that is what he plays for. It’s not like finishing you off would lock you out of WvW for an extended amount of time, preventing you from killing dolyaks or other players. The match-ups are so broken that score no longer matters. For me getting kills only matters up until I get my bloodlust stacks or I’m fighting 1vX and need to remove players from the equation.

I’ve found a lot of times if I’m running defense in my home bl that not stomping leads to duels with the opposing players, which gives them something to do instead of flipping our camps or killing dolyaks.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

TyPin.9860

How is that stupid? He won the fight, that is what he plays for. It’s not like finishing you off would lock you out of WvW for an extended amount of time, preventing you from killing dolyaks or other players. The match-ups are so broken that score no longer matters. For me getting kills only matters up until I get my bloodlust stacks or I’m fighting 1vX and need to remove players from the equation.

I’ve found a lot of times if I’m running defense in my home bl that not stomping leads to duels with the opposing players, which gives them something to do instead of flipping our camps or killing dolyaks.

Well he was apparently displeased with my attempts after I rallied. I attacked the dollies on was seeking to cap the nearby camp. After I killed the dollies and we fought again for a while, he speeded out of there. When I attacked the camp, he then tried to sneak back at me. So he obviously cared about those objectives.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: Flyphish.6398

Flyphish.6398

If it’s red, it’s dead. Tell them to go to the OS or better yet to PvP where they can actually get a balanced duel without cheesy buffs.

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

If I can tell for sure* that a couple players are dueling I let them be. If however I get a message saying I disrupted their fun* I just block them and go on my way. If you want to use a World vs World arena to privately duel then expect to get run over.

• subjective I know, but it is not as if we have an DUELING flag we can set up.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

in WvW

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Some folks love to duel on the south camp dolyak path for some reason. Grrr. This is not a good place.

Also not good: guilds trying to do scrim-in-the-middle-of-nowhere GvG on a queued map.

:/

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in WvW

Posted by: Pastafarian.1642

Pastafarian.1642

Problem here is there are no rules really if you dont want to die stay away. Its very simple.

So in other words there is no “Duels in the wrong place…” if you are a roamer you run around the map to find fights it doesnt matter where you are. Its a LTNBAN = Learn to not be a noob. Issue.

Not a HoT copy owner

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Shrug. Impromptu duels happen all the time. If someone jumps into the middle of one and the entire other side kills them, I just let it happen. Same goes if it’s one of ours being attacked. Yeah, I have been on the wrong end of this and attacked people dueling in odd places, but I don’t really care after I’ve figured out what was happening. It’s just a thing you get used to, for better or worse.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Duelers take the risk when they enter the mists. kitten happens that spoils duels all the time, and we are all aware of that. Likewise if i get an impromtu duel and it was a good duel … if I win I generally don’t stomp them. Outta mutual respect for being a decent player and surviving long enough while not getting steamrolled by a train.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They should set a place for duels somewhere.

For example:

• Change the Obsidian Sanctum to work like the Edge: megaserver-ish, so people can join parties and get to the same copy of the map, even if they are in different worlds currently not matched.
  • Add to the south of the map an area called “Dueling Grounds” with a series of ‘cages’ all over the place where players can enter to duel by paying a symbolic amoount of badges of honor (1-10), by talking with two NPCs to the sides of each cage. Some would be pits dug on the floor, some carved on the walls and you get there with wooden stars, some hanging from the ceiling like the cages in the Gauntlet and you get there with ramps and platforms. There would be even a lake with some undewater cages.
  • Also, in the Coliseum to the north where “guild vs guild” are supposed to be done, add 3 NPCs on each side with an icon on top: Red, orange, and yellow in one side and purple, blue and cyan on the other side. Talking to each NPC will allow a player to join that ‘team’ by paying a symbolic amount of badges of honor. That’ll give the player an effect that will last until they leave the map, get defeated or talk with the NPC again. Only the same team will be allied with them, and only the opposing them will be able to damage them. Red vs Cyan, Green vs Orange, Yellow vs Purple. Also, you’ll only see in the minimap allied dots for those in your team, and enemy dots for those on the enemy team. All other players not in any of the two teams in a pair will be neutral to those in the team, and unable to damage or support them.

Or maybe just something using the Guild Halls, once they are done.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

If you see a duel in wvw near any tower/keep/camp etc go ahead and kill the enemy if you have the chance.

If you don’t have enough numbers to kill everyone make sure you build siege and/or call for help and they will be forced to move away from the objective.

If it is away from objectives I would just ignore and go do something else.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

If you jump into a 1v1 I’m involved in, I’ll let you get rekt. If I see 1v1s, I either watch or go about my business. Don’t be a pile on pony.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

If you jump into a 1v1 I’m involved in, I’ll let you get rekt. If I see 1v1s, I either watch or go about my business. Don’t be a pile on pony.

This.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

They have the right to duel you have the right to interrupt. You know i go for the kills. Im never angry if 3 thieves 1 mesmer and van dd ele kitten me. Its in the game. If you want a fair 1v1 go and use a private arena with a password.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

So many good spots around on borderlands to have duels without any interuption. But if people try do duel right outside a keep they should expect being interupted. Red is dead afterall. Not the fault of the interupter/s but the duelers being stupid of picking the wrong places.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: MuddyTear.5703

MuddyTear.5703

I laugh at your weakness, guy I’m dueling will allways rek you. Oh, it’s called solo roaming. Why 1v1’s happen everywhere. But the commmunity, never used to have so many excuses as to why you needed to 2, maybe even 3v1 that one roamer. Oh no he might take that tower, look out. Go find some even fights and stop being tower huging baddies. K thanks.

in WvW

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

It’d be nice if there was a single designated area for duels to take place – like Obsidian sanctum, if it wasn’t empty all the time.

No one has a reason to get upset at ganking a duel. Polite to ignore said duel? Sure. But what if it’s not a duel, and someone needed help?

in WvW

TyPin.9860

When I interrupt duels, most of the times I kill the other one. And get told after, that this was a duel. I don’t understand, when people get angry. I mean, I do not go out of my way to find enemies, I have my targets like stopping supply income, taking/securing camps for upgrading an objective or I am simply on a tour of flipping camps and towers. Anyone in my way is simply in the wrong place, if they want fair duels.

And this is, what I mean with “wrong place”. If you duel on a dolly path, I assume both are roamers, that engaged each other to actually stop each other. Maybe they fought over a dolly or smth. If they fight near an objective, I assume, they fight for that objective. And one player can easily take a tower or simply set up siege until his allies arrive.

If you duel in such places, I find it weird to complain the duel got interrupted. Not saying dueling is bad or has no place in WvW, I duel from time to time myself. But please, just stay civil, if others play the game for the PPT (even if you don’t care).

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe

in WvW

coglin.1867

They should set a place for duels somewhere.

For example:

• Change the Obsidian Sanctum to work like the Edge: megaserver-ish, so people can join parties and get to the same copy of the map, even if they are in different worlds currently not matched.
  • Add to the south of the map an area called “Dueling Grounds” with a series of ‘cages’ all over the place where players can enter to duel by paying a symbolic amoount of badges of honor (1-10), by talking with two NPCs to the sides of each cage. Some would be pits dug on the floor, some carved on the walls and you get there with wooden stars, some hanging from the ceiling like the cages in the Gauntlet and you get there with ramps and platforms. There would be even a lake with some undewater cages.
  • Also, in the Coliseum to the north where “guild vs guild” are supposed to be done, add 3 NPCs on each side with an icon on top: Red, orange, and yellow in one side and purple, blue and cyan on the other side. Talking to each NPC will allow a player to join that ‘team’ by paying a symbolic amount of badges of honor. That’ll give the player an effect that will last until they leave the map, get defeated or talk with the NPC again. Only the same team will be allied with them, and only the opposing them will be able to damage them. Red vs Cyan, Green vs Orange, Yellow vs Purple. Also, you’ll only see in the minimap allied dots for those in your team, and enemy dots for those on the enemy team. All other players not in any of the two teams in a pair will be neutral to those in the team, and unable to damage or support them.

Or maybe just something using the Guild Halls, once they are done.

PvP personal arenas cover all your dueling needs.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Alot of people in this thread concerned with what they’re “allowed” or “have a right” to do…..

…. and not so many people concerned with having a little respect for their fellow players.

Unless someone is really asking for it, being a kitten doesn’t mean you’re “taking a stand”, it just means you’re being a kitten.

Obviously mis-understandings can happen, but you’d think a little common sense would resolve alot of them.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

coglin.1867

Alot of people in this thread concerned with what they’re “allowed” or “have a right” to do…..

…. and not so many people concerned with having a little respect for their fellow players.

Unless someone is really asking for it, being a kitten doesn’t mean you’re “taking a stand”, it just means you’re being a kitten.

I cannot really tell where you stand based on how you worded your statement. I will say this though. As I see it, no matter how you cut it, no one has any business taking offence to a player killing an red named enemy.

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]
PvP personal arenas cover all your dueling needs.

Unless they add a setting for custom arenas to use PvE Gear, there’s that still left. You can’t test dueld with PvE stats in PvP arenas.

There’s also an annoying trend of people hijacking standard arenas for their “duels” and harrassing whoever wants to play normally, and answering with rather ‘creative’ language to the suggestion of getting an custom arena or joining some custom arena in which people are already dueling, which makes me suspect they are simply letting each other win in turns and harassing people to leave so they can keep manipulating matches, and using “dueling” as an excuse.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

But please, just stay civil, if others play the game for the PPT (even if you don’t care).

You set a good example there.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I wish they could just redo obsidian sanctum into a pure dueling arena without the possibility to get killed. It was meant for gvg but is it really being used for that? Would be a nice place to hone ur skills n make it so u can duel ur own server. Im just trying to think of the quickest n less resourcedemanding implementation

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in WvW

Posted by: Pastafarian.1642

Pastafarian.1642

I wish they could just redo obsidian sanctum into a pure dueling arena without the possibility to get killed. It was meant for gvg but is it really being used for that? Would be a nice place to hone ur skills n make it so u can duel ur own server. Im just trying to think of the quickest n less resourcedemanding implementation

Anyone else want to reply to this lost soul?

Not a HoT copy owner

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I don’t like your idea, but I’m still replying because one thing seemed strange in your suggestion: why don’t you want to be killed? It’s not like it matters or anything: just walk one minute and you’re back.

in WvW

Posted by: warduke.1780

warduke.1780

Duellers should be banned, like they are in other games.

I make it a mission when I see a duel going down to disrupt that duel. The abuse I get is priceless.

in WvW

Sorel.4870

Duellers should be banned, like they are in other games.

I make it a mission when I see a duel going down to disrupt that duel. The abuse I get is priceless.

I don’t care about people interrupting my duels, when I have some. I just let my opponent kill the guy and go back to my duel. I don’t get why you’d get abuse.

in WvW

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

Sometimes i can see an entire zerg walking around, ignoring the few guys who are watching/duelling. And sometimes you can see some guys jumping in a duel while several players are just standing around to watch with a map chat full of “X bows, Y bows, X bows” etc.

There is no job in WvW, it’s a game dude and roamers like to spontaneously duel with each other because it’s fun and it’s a fair way to practice.

. Otherwise I will keep interfering.

Then you’ll keep dying.

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in WvW

coglin.1867

It is valid to say it is a fair way to practice. But it is equally valid to say it’s an enemy and kill them, regardless of duelling. The thing is, any argument that validates dueling, also validates killing one of the duelist if it is an enemy.

in WvW

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

It is valid to say it is a fair way to practice. But it is equally valid to say it’s an enemy and kill them, regardless of duelling. The thing is, any argument that validates dueling, also validates killing one of the duelist if it is an enemy.

Validity is subjective. As i said, there is neither job nor rule in WvW, it’s only a game. TCHU is a very smal roaming guild for exemple, and we fight a lot of other roaming guilds that we do respect and you know what, sometimes we don’t even engage while running any other objective than to foolishly kill everyone who’s running around (cuz we know we ’ll find a good spot later to fight).

Beside, i can see sometimes some guys stomping everyone in OS, wich is a dedicated spot.

There is no rule, the only thing you can bring while playing is your own values and respect is a solid one. I respectfully answer that The OP have the right to interfere with a duel and the right to come crying like a kittened kid on the forum cuz he died.

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

It’s super obvious when people are dueling and even if you don’t know if it’s a 1v1 let them do it.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

My favorite part is when I’m dueling someone and someone comes along and starts attacking me, the guy I’m dueling backs off while I stomp the guy who jumped me. I give him a /salute while he lay there dead wondering how I beat him when I had 25% health and he had 100% health when he initially jumped me.

Good times.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

It’s super obvious when people are dueling and even if you don’t know if it’s a 1v1 let them do it.

Believe me, it is not always obvious at all and not getting help because someone might be in a duel is a very dumb way to think and a real bad thing to experience when you dont get the help you were hoping for. VERY dumb indeed. If one is to err on the side of caution, he should help his teammate even if in reality his teammate doesn’t want any help. Playing safe mean, if it’s red, it’s dead. Duels and GvG are tolerated. At no moment are they equally legitimate with PPT. Again, server > guild or you in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

The only case you should not kill the player dueling is if they have a bunch of guys watching the duel. In that case build a treb or arrow cart in the closest objective.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in WvW

Sorel.4870

No it’s not. Sometimes you just get a guy jumping at you from nowhere. Frankly, when I’m on my engineer and a p/d thief jumps on me, I’m actually glad to see someone come and help me kill the guy, because not all 1v1s are fun. I don’t want to be bored to death by a SA thief if someone can help me get rid of him faster.

That’s why I always help guys in 1v1, and if told to stop I stop. I like duels, but it’s WvW: there’s no rule, there’s no honor. It’s nothing to get mad about.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Simple answer:

Tell them to shut up and go to OS or somewhere remote, if they are dumb enough to duel in a high traffic area they have no right to complain.

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Why should duelers be forced to play somwhere else? They aren’t ruining the game, they are simply playing in a fashion that they choose. If its in a high traffic area, well one of the things they need to consider is that others might come along and gank them. It’s part of the game.
At the same token, duelers shouldn’t expect to be treated differently if they are dueling in a high traffic area.

If they start whining about it, block and move on.

No one should get deferential treatment because they want to play a certain way. Duelers and non duelers alike.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Hexin.5603

The problem with the system is you can’t immediately tell there is a duel going on. I bet more people would just let it be if they saw a flag over there characters.

in WvW

TyPin.9860

But please, just stay civil, if others play the game for the PPT (even if you don’t care).

You set a good example there.

Don’t I? xD

. Otherwise I will keep interfering.

Then you’ll keep dying.

Rofl, as I explained: I rarely die interfering, but the red named one does
The duelers I have met so far, aren’t really that good players compared to me. This is like some GvG players, who think they are so much better and skilled. Most are not and get mad at me, when I interfere in their duels around strategic locations.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Duels and GvG are tolerated. At no moment are they equally legitimate with PPT. ….

Yeah and everybody goes to Hooters for the wings.

Anyway, what’s the worst that could happen to anyone involved? Get a free repair and to run for maybe 1 min in a video game? People tend to complain about uneven server populations (and even double teaming) and how that kills the fun but will bandwagon the living daylights out of everyday fights. SMH

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

I don’t see duels in WvW.

I see friendly player battling enemy player. I help friendly player secure kill on enemy player.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I’m not sure I understand this reference. Might be a language barrier for me…

Anyway, what’s the worst that could happen to anyone involved? Get a free repair and to run for maybe 1 min in a video game? People tend to complain about uneven server populations (and even double teaming) and how that kills the fun but will bandwagon the living daylights out of everyday fights. SMH

That’s beside the point. It’s the wrong place to do that and complain about it when it goes wrong. It’s a team game and too many here say they don’t care. It’s their right to feel that way, but it doesn’t change the game. I wish we will eventually get a place for all this, I really do, but it’s not WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I’m not sure I understand this reference. Might be a language barrier for me…

That’s beside the point. It’s the wrong place to do that and complain about it when it goes wrong. It’s a team game and too many here say they don’t care. It’s their right to feel that way, but it doesn’t change the game. I wish we will eventually get a place for all this, I really do, but it’s not WvW.

Hooters is a restauraunt that is famous for scantily clad, busty women and chicken wings. Although people claim that their chicken wings are really good, the only reason they actually go is for the “staff”. Their wings aren’t all that good….

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Hexin.5603

Don’t knock hooters wings … everything tastes better when served by scantilly clad women. Best wings NA

in WvW

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

So you’re arguing in WvW should be free where people can do what they like, and then say it’s stupid when a person lets you res because it’s not what you would have done?

Flawless logic. Flawless.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: KillEveryoneElse.3940

KillEveryoneElse.3940

if you want to duel go to obsidian map and stop being dead weight in wvw

(and if you just stand by when someone from your team comes to help you, your worse than dead weight, your a tumour that needs removing from the GW2 “community”).