Duo WvW roaming class with necro

in WvW

Posted by: jefferson.8317

jefferson.8317

Hello. I’m looking for the best class to duo roam with a necro. I have a warr/mesmer/ele that I could play. I enjoy all three, but I mostly want to play whatever has the best synergy with the necro. Necro doesn’t have a set build. Could be condi or power. Thank you

Jasx

(edited by jefferson.8317)

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

I’d say warr because it can apply a lot of dps pressure and stuns, which the Mesmer can do but it’s much harder and less effective.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Probably whatever you are best at.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

for roaming a ranger > warrior. Even in the stun/knockdown category.

Depending on YOUR role (boon steal, duelist, support, dps) the ranger can supplement the other side.
Preferably, i can see a spirit-shout condition tank build working very well alongside a condition burst necromancer.
The spirits provide protection/burning, shouts give regen and swiftness, pets provide what you want, and the combined condition burst from the two will melt anything short of a god.

Edit: here is a link for a possible ranger build. Iv’e been using something similar to this build myself, for months, it is tried and tested. Works very well in groups.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBMhd+1JHRdB3VhfFsWGQaK0Ez7pYWYP3jS5UCxUG1DWLC-j0CBIODimaAkkOQE1w5RRMTaIrVWFRjVfETtiIq26DzrgIqWKgFVWB-w

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Thief

15/char

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Moon.6371

Moon.6371

Prysin said it all, hybrid or condi shout melee ranger is really good in combination, permanent swiftness, fury and regen plus high protection uptime. Alternatively offensive boon guards will do the job equally good.

Don`t trust the wannabes trying to be clever with generic “thief” replies. You need a class that stays infight with you and is supporting you.

Good luck & have fun.

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Sorry, I worded my paragraph in a bad way. I am choosing between mesmer/ele/warrior. I have no ranger nor the desire to level one. Thanks for the input so far, though!

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: sierras.6297

sierras.6297

Out of those, being a necro, I wouldn’t really prefer any. I run with a guardian when I duo, and that is effective, i haven’t actually run with a war, but the idea could be near the same, just build tanky and jump in and wail.

Oscuro Sombra~lv. 80 Thief|Oscuro Uno~lv. 80 Necro|
Oscuro Tanque~lv. 80 Guardian|
[RaW] Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Wait, I’m confused – you want to duo with mesmer or necro?

For what it’s worth, I find warrior + necro to be a scary combination to face, if both good players.

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Condi necro and a burst thief, if both well played can be very devasting

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Wait, I’m confused – you want to duo with mesmer or necro?

confused also

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

jefferson.8317

I apologize. I meant duo roam with a necro friend of mine.

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Any newbie shout warrior wearing knights or

A well played PVT aura bunker ele

A very very well played mesmer

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

jefferson.8317

^^ Fair enough. I’ll just see what works best.

Thanks

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

You have a few options really.

As a power necro you could team up with a hammer guardian as wells+ring of warding could be absolutely devastating. Depending on how the guardian specs this could give more dps pressure or survivability(heals, blocks, protection). Warrior is also a great option for DPS pressure to end fights quickly. I don’t really see elementalist being a good fit simply because power necros mean DS and that means no heals. Not saying it couldn’t work but wouldn’t be optimal.

As a condition necro you could team up with another condition spec and utilize epidemic. I’d say either mesmer or well played engineer could fit that position. You could also run with tanky dps(warrior/guardian) that keeps up pressure, keeps the enemy busy, but is survivable enough to allow you to stack conditions. Elementalist might be a decent fit here as you won’t be spending a ton of time in DS except to setup condition burst.

I don’t really see a thief as being the best fit for the necromancer. The necro can’t really take focus fire and since the thiefs survival is dependent on constant stealthing it leaves the necro to get focused.

in WvW

jefferson.8317

You have a few options really.

As a power necro you could team up with a hammer guardian as wells+ring of warding could be absolutely devastating. Depending on how the guardian specs this could give more dps pressure or survivability(heals, blocks, protection). Warrior is also a great option for DPS pressure to end fights quickly. I don’t really see elementalist being a good fit simply because power necros mean DS and that means no heals. Not saying it couldn’t work but wouldn’t be optimal.

As a condition necro you could team up with another condition spec and utilize epidemic. I’d say either mesmer or well played engineer could fit that position. You could also run with tanky dps(warrior/guardian) that keeps up pressure, keeps the enemy busy, but is survivable enough to allow you to stack conditions. Elementalist might be a decent fit here as you won’t be spending a ton of time in DS except to setup condition burst.

I don’t really see a thief as being the best fit for the necromancer. The necro can’t really take focus fire and since the thiefs survival is dependent on constant stealthing it leaves the necro to get focused.

Thank you. I’ll give the warrior a shot. Appreciate the post.

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Best bet is condi+cc warrior with your necro and knowing which enemy to target and kill first.

but there are many viable other options.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

pu mes and mm roflolotrolo

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Subtle.3670

Subtle.3670

I like having someone who can stealth me to help in escaping certain situations. Warriors are also great since they draw more attention and pretty much gets you free of focus which is a major issue with the necromancer class.

Basically Thieves/Mesmers and warriors are the ones who I’ve found most success with.

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Power Necro is fun for roaming, but if you run into a small group you are toast… make a macro to /bendover and get ready for the assault.

Still, i have plenty of fun roaming on my zerker Necro….

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in WvW

jefferson.8317

I actually might give ranger a shot. What two builds work well together?

Jasx

in WvW

Darek.1836

Dont.. a lot of ranger fanboys here but the only viable build is bunker support which is absolutely useless in 2vx

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Dont.. a lot of ranger fanboys here but the only viable build is bunker support which is absolutely useless in 2vx

Then what class do you propose for 2vX with a necro?

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

As a condition necro you could team up with another condition spec and utilize epidemic. I’d say either mesmer or well played engineer could fit that position.

Engineer/Necro skirmish teams wreck players in the mid tiers. Absolutely wreck them. The condi pressure is insane from this coupling.

Mesmers particularly when they are dressed the same as the necro can make for an interesting pairing. The mesmer control can take some pressure off and stealth a necro for escape.

Thieves should always be on this list. Having a thief around will mean the necro will be a lightning rod for focused damage, but thieves bring burst to a fight which often is what a necro needs. They also have excellent stealth for duo escape/reset.

Warriors too should be on the list mainly because of the excellent control they offer. They can also keep swiftness up on the necro, heal and take damage pressure off the team. It is actually hard to skirmish without them since control is such a big part of skirmish now.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Darek.1836

Guard engi or warr heh
I’d prefer a guard

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Depends what the necro runs.

If condi/bunk/fear (terrormancer):

• Stunlock zerk warrior with melandru runes. Hammer + Sword/shield or Greatsword should work.
  • Elementalist celestial & valk: high crit build with d/d
  • PU mesmer, any
  • Ranger… I have no experience with it
  • Guardian: a high mobility build with runes of speed or traveler, can go high dps with meditations (no problem for condis) and damage mitigation through focus, shelter and renewed focus.
  • Engineer, would not advice this one if it’s condi necro, unless you manage to condi-bomb and have the luck that none of your enemies has sufficient condi removal.
Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Whichever class you bring, it has to be able to counteract the focused fire that the necro will be receiving. The necro should be doing most of the damage, your job will be helping to keep him alive with heals and CC

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Shout warrior probably. Ranger could possibly fill that role too.

Jasx

in WvW

Straegen.2938

I really don’t want to constantly crap on the Ranger class, but please do not consider a ranger if you are trying to create the most effective duo skirmish. Ranger is currently broken in WvW despite a handful on the forums pushing a pro-Ranger line. They are the absolute least fearsome class in WvW by a massively large margin. Kudos to the occasional player who does some justice with the class but they put in twice the effort just to be OK.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

jefferson.8317

I really don’t want to constantly crap on the Ranger class, but please do not consider a ranger if you are trying to create the most effective duo skirmish. Ranger is currently broken in WvW despite a handful on the forums pushing a pro-Ranger line. They are the absolute least fearsome class in WvW by a massively large margin. Kudos to the occasional player who does some justice with the class but they put in twice the effort just to be OK.

Haha. I find warrior slightly boring so I’m trying to get around that. I do enjoy the mobility though.

Perhaps I should level up a guardian instead.

Jasx

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Haha. I find warrior slightly boring so I’m trying to get around that. I do enjoy the mobility though.

Perhaps I should level up a guardian instead.

Warriors are boring especially when built in shout or signet form. By far the easiest class to master IMO. That is certainly a fair critique but warriors bring control, big armor, big HP, speed and strong passive healing/condition removal (which is admittedly too powerful).

Guardians really aren’t far behind on the easy to master category. They are absolute powerhouses when surrounded by others. Solo guardians are another category altogether. Still a powerful class but they cannot easily escape or help a necro escape. They also lack significant burst which makes them not as good with a necro IMO.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I think I’d recommend Ele

Necro’s big deficiency is in its movement speed. You need to pair with a class that can run down opponents and slow them down, War or Ele would fit this role. I think I’d prefer an Ele simply because they can drop a Fiery GS which the necro could pickup and use to escape most fights if you get outnumbered.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Necro’s big deficiency is in its movement speed. You need to pair with a class that can run down opponents and slow them down, War or Ele would fit this role. I think I’d prefer an Ele simply because they can drop a Fiery GS which the necro could pickup and use to escape most fights if you get outnumbered.

That sounds like it could work, too. The control of a warrior is much better than a d/d ele though.

Jasx

in WvW

Straegen.2938

It is so hard to recommend the Ele after the MASSIVE number of nerfs D/D has suffered over the months. Back when Aura sharing was more viable, the ele made a lot of sense in this situation but now they are a shadow of their former self. You are right though that the fire sword is a great complement to any slower class. As for slowing another class down, nobody does that as well as a thief.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Prysin.8542

Bunker rangers are the best to duo roam with. As in 99% of the cases, people attack the rangers first due to prejudice, thus you can do whatever you want in relative safety. Trust me, it works litterally 99% of the time.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Bunker rangers are the best to duo roam with. As in 99% of the cases, people attack the rangers first due to prejudice, thus you can do whatever you want in relative safety. Trust me, it works litterally 99% of the time.

Some of this is true… I will target a ranger first in almost every fight. The problem is if a Ranger cannot run, they die quickly to focused fire which leaves you alone. Few classes can withstand focused fire and the Ranger is not one of them despite what Prysin is going to tell you. They can hang for a few seconds and effectively run but only if they are good though. Either case leaves you alone in a tough fight.

Even if a Ranger could hang under focused fire, as soon as the target doesn’t drop focus will change to whoever is doing the most damage. This is why the warrior in this style of play is so powerful. They soak up tons of damage but they also cannot be ignored because they are likely spamming Earthshaker all over the place. Its also why Guardians work poorly here because they will not be targeted since they are almost always easier to kill after everything else is dead.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Guardian best for a condi necro, synergy is just too good with boons and heals and the ridiculous scaling of conditions in WvW at the top end.

Ranger works good too, but not nearly as good as it was back before spirits got hammer smacked. (all my duo with ranger videos are out-dated, so I won’t repost that). It has a reasonable synergy with condition application, but cannot really keep the necro up when he gets focused, so ends up being better 2v(2-4), but worse 2v(4+).

EDIT: Seeing as how I apparently ignored your restrictions, condi mesmer synergizes well on the damage side, but doesn’t keep a necro up well without running veil and MI and then being really careful. Condi warrior can work very well with banner regen, immobilize spam, and makes a nice big target. I have yet to run with a good condi warrior, but I would imagine it works well in 2s.

Boon spam ele is fine with anyone in 2s, but again I don’t find it to be as good a synergy as warrior/ranger/guardian.

(edited by Rennoko.5731)

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Guardian best for a condi necro, synergy is just too good with boons and heals and the ridiculous scaling of conditions in WvW at the top end.

Ranger works good too, but not nearly as good as it was back before spirits got hammer smacked. (all my duo with ranger videos are out-dated, so I won’t repost that). It has a reasonable synergy with condition application, but cannot really keep the necro up when he gets focused, so ends up being better 2v(2-4), but worse 2v(4+).

EDIT: Seeing as how I apparently ignored your restrictions, condi mesmer synergizes well on the damage side, but doesn’t keep a necro up well without running veil and MI and then being really careful. Condi warrior can work very well with banner regen, immobilize spam, and makes a nice big target. I have yet to run with a good condi warrior, but I would imagine it works well in 2s.

Boon spam ele is fine with anyone in 2s, but again I don’t find it to be as good a synergy as warrior/ranger/guardian.

I’m willing to try guardian. I assume GS/sword+ focus our something to that effect?

Jasx

in WvW

Prysin.8542

Some of this is true… I will target a ranger first in almost every fight. The problem is if a Ranger cannot run, they die quickly to focused fire which leaves you alone. Few classes can withstand focused fire and the Ranger is not one of them despite what Prysin is going to tell you. They can hang for a few seconds and effectively run but only if they are good though. Either case leaves you alone in a tough fight.

Even if a Ranger could hang under focused fire, as soon as the target doesn’t drop focus will change to whoever is doing the most damage. This is why the warrior in this style of play is so powerful. They soak up tons of damage but they also cannot be ignored because they are likely spamming Earthshaker all over the place. Its also why Guardians work poorly here because they will not be targeted since they are almost always easier to kill after everything else is dead.

This is why you run condition bunker ranger. Duh!!!
Even if necro gets focused, you can A; heal him. B; apply a considerable condition pressure (albeit single target), C; CC the enemy (MT/Entangle/Spider/Krytan).

Sword + Dagger and Axe + Torch.
Perma poison and 3x evades + chill, cripple, perma poison and heavy burn.

oh yeah, forgot to enlighten you, but condition bunkers can easily get 350hp/s passive healing, so yeah, enjoy fighting a evasive warrior with lower HP pool.

The only time a condi bunker ranger will be in trouble is vs 3x zerker thieves (granted the necro doesnt kill em with its condition burst). And no profession, be it warrior, guardian, ranger or necro will last long against 3x zerker thieves unless they can prepare well in advance.

in WvW

jefferson.8317

This is why you run condition bunker ranger. Duh!!!
Even if necro gets focused, you can A; heal him. B; apply a considerable condition pressure (albeit single target), C; CC the enemy (MT/Entangle/Spider/Krytan).

Sword + Dagger and Axe + Torch.
Perma poison and 3x evades + chill, cripple, perma poison and heavy burn.

oh yeah, forgot to enlighten you, but condition bunkers can easily get 350hp/s passive healing, so yeah, enjoy fighting a evasive warrior with lower HP pool.

The only time a condi bunker ranger will be in trouble is vs 3x zerker thieves (granted the necro doesnt kill em with its condition burst). And no profession, be it warrior, guardian, ranger or necro will last long against 3x zerker thieves unless they can prepare well in advance.

The ranger fan boy emerges. You might survive but your partner needs more help via control don’t you think?

Jasx

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

Anyone of the 3 classes you said are good to roam with Necro, just choose the one you like most.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: melodey.4652

melodey.4652

As someone who roams from time to time as a necro, the only class I want to duo with is a guardian. We do not have the on-demand condition removal on our own when things get sticky. I’ve tried many times duoing with warrior, it simply is not ideal. I would not duo roam with a ranger, I have no idea why there are so many stans in here for ranger bunker builds- guardian bunker, ele bunker, engi bunker give more support than a ranger would. You could always run your mesmer but you are giving 0 support to your necro pal with the exception of mass invis, which might make it hard for him/her to survive once you get into outnumbered fights, as the necro will be targeted first, and if the necro is too busy trying to stay alive, your damage output goes down. Honestly, duo roaming with a necro isn’t ideal to begin with, but if you have to choose I guess I would go with your ele, and go bunker d/d with plenty of condi removal.

Yak Slappin’ Bunker- roamin n stuffs [PD] [Duck]
all classes 80, who is the cheesiest of them all?
gw2 dress-up barbie is the real endgame

in WvW

Posted by: melodey.4652

melodey.4652

No. You are completely ignoring the fact that the other class you would be duoing with is a necro which is always prioritized over rangers against enemies who have any semblance of what they’re doing. Ranger does not have enough support to the necro to provide a good duo partner. Bunker engi, bunker guard, bunker ele all have more support than a bunker ranger does, and a roaming necros definitely need a support class to duo with for outnumbered and good fights.

Yak Slappin’ Bunker- roamin n stuffs [PD] [Duck]
all classes 80, who is the cheesiest of them all?
gw2 dress-up barbie is the real endgame

in WvW

jefferson.8317

Going to level up a guardian. Any idea of builds?

Jasx