Edge of the Mists coming next week!

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Does anyone else see one major issue with this, a couple people have said this map is to help prevent the server hopping ect.

If all servers share the area, has Anet basically just opened a shopping center for the larger servers to buy guilds ?

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

It’s a bad thing because of the opportunity cost. All that dev time spent on EoTM could have been spent on WvW improvements that are far more important and urgent and a big sPvP-looking map.

I look at EotM as the thing they had to do first before they could even begin to touch any of the other major issues facing WvW. EotM gives ANET the freedom to try different stuff out in a WvW environment without breaking the entire game for those who were enjoying the current meta. Having a map to address the queue problem also allows for more of those long term game breaking issues like population balance and scoring to be addressed and hopefully lets them do so in a more creative fashion. I expect to see EotM used as both a testing ground and a 24/7 entertainment haven while the bigger problems get tinkered with on the other WvW maps.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Please let me be able to kill people trying to do LS events.

in WvW

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

When you enter EOTM, you’re assigned to one of three servers depending on your colour. That means you’ll be paired up with all the people in other matches that are “Red” that week for example.

This means that there won’t ever really be a population issue since you’ll be playing with and against people from all the other servers in your region (EU can’t fight NA).

I hope every much that this concept extends to the borderlands at some point in the near future, or evolves into some other form of matchmaking that doesn’t rely on home server. Sounds like it’s the core mechanic needed to make that happen.

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Seems like information about the coming update have started to turn up. And the main thing seems to be Edge of the Mists (which will be invaded by Aetherblades).

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/coming-soon-the-edge-of-the-mists/
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/28/journey-to-the-edge-of-the-mists-in-guild-wars-2s-next-content/
http://guildmag.com/aetherblades-invading-edge-of-the-mists/

Much earlier than I though, but very nice nonetheless.

Except……………….. more kittening scarlet. Seriously WTF!

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Look at it this way, Victory, at least for two weeks we get to take it out on the poor PvE players who are just there for the living story

Luls ‘n giggles will be had. Prepare for the amusing party joins: Why did you kill me???? Plorks let me be, I’m here for the LS not PvP!

OHAI U!

On Topic …

PVE Commander meet WvW Commander … the tears are going to flow!

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

Seems like information about the coming update have started to turn up. And the main thing seems to be Edge of the Mists (which will be invaded by Aetherblades).

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/28/journey-to-the-edge-of-the-mists-in-guild-wars-2s-next-content/

I find the responses here rather funny. Some people going all “OMG NOT MORE PVE IN WVW!” Others going “Yay free pve players to kill in wvw! Free loot bags!”

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

It’s going to be amazing to see the champ train meet the hammer train, lmao.

in WvW

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Make it a game-wide instance and not just tied to the servers that are playing each other that week and then it’s a good addition.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in WvW

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

I find the responses here rather funny. Some people going all “OMG NOT MORE PVE IN WVW!” Others going “Yay free pve players to kill in wvw! Free loot bags!”

To what expense? Shove more pve crap into WvW? Or wait, it an extra map that hardly contribute to the overall WvW.

Those bags are temporary and when the event dies down, its will just be a reminder about how horrible the living story is to the overall game with all the pve content shoved into WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Edge of the Mists coming next week! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
With Scarlet’s bull kitten inside! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

seriously… WTF?
they didn’t noticed that nobody cares about energy probes in wvwvw like the other temporary pve things added before?

Some people (me included) prefer to have a reason for opening up a new map.

Opening it up in order to combat Scarlet for a few weeks is a rather good solution for that.

There is a reason for opening up the map – pvp.

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Make it a game-wide instance and not just tied to the servers that are playing each other that week and then it’s a good addition.

But that’s exactly what they will do. All the servers sharing the same color, lets say red, will be fighting together against the blue/green servers and so on. Naturally EU and NA won’t be mixed tho.

Look at it this way, Victory, at least for two weeks we get to take it out on the poor PvE players who are just there for the living story

Luls ‘n giggles will be had. Prepare for the amusing party joins: Why did you kill me???? Plorks let me be, I’m here for the LS not PvP!

OHAI U!

On Topic …

PVE Commander meet WvW Commander … the tears are going to flow!

OHAI THAR!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: juicifruitz.6251

juicifruitz.6251

it seems like when they were talking about it the discussion went something along these lines:

Dev A> Hey lets shut up those pesky wvw’ers and give them a new map for the 1st time since launch.

Dev B> Oh I know lets really make them happy and throw PvE content into it for the release, they will really love that. Look at how happy they were that PvE content was in WvW for the Season.

All Devs at the round table collectively> Oh yes yes lets do that, they will love it.

It’s like they are deliberately trying to antagonise all of the player base that that rose up against putting Pve inside of WvW instances , one only has to look at the 3 likes and 3 dislikes thread to see what is in the top 3 disliked things in wvw is … that is for those that have read that particular thread ….. PVE.

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Heh, that’ll be well worth watching.

in WvW

Posted by: MechaShucke MkII.8309

MechaShucke MkII.8309

More power to those developers then. It’s quite heartwarming to see those players struggle under the iron heel of Anet’s boot due to their own ignorance and narrow perspective. It’s almost unfortunate that more couldn’t join them, but alas it’s no perfect world after all.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

and… hopefully… with come the 50% reduced map cap to bring balance to the main WvW instances….

hey, you can’t complain anymore, no more queue after this….. you have EotM !

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

@Marz PVE/wvw Commander over here mate.. (attachment)

On topic though, I can’t imagine what they were thinking when deciding over what to put into a Open world Pvp map really.
On the other hand queues will be ‘gone’ and we’ll get to play and farm along with everyone else stuck in the queue we rarely get, but on another note it looks like League Season 2 will be just around the Corner.

I’ll happily farm Scarlet’s Minions for precursors and Gold with the added bonus of some Pvp and Loot, until they remove this living story stuff.
But if it’s Open Access and works exactly like the PVE Overflows, even then why would you want to have Open world PvP interrupted by NPC’s? Hopefully they’ll be open spaces to roam about without interruption at least.

Attachments:

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is a reason for opening up the map – pvp.

I am talking about in-game reason.
Just adding a map without any kind of in-game reason is quite silly.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Inb4 “thief back stabbed me for 21k, must nerf”

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

This made my loins tingle

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Funny how most people on these forums can’t comprehend players as being anything but one of two things:

1 – Soft, inexperienced players who only play PvE.

2 – Hardened, cool kids who only play PvP.

Such a false dichotomy…

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Such a false dichotomy…

Mines bigger than yours….

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

I keep hearing people saying you will be grouped together not by servers but by your color, do we have any source on that information?

Blackgate Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I keep hearing people saying you will be grouped together not by servers but by your color, do we have any source on that information?

It was discussed in the private beta forums, which are now inaccessible.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

PvE in the normal wvw maps can be frustrating due to where it spawns. On this map I hope pve acts like a bait. The pve areas will draw people in and almost always guarantee a fight. How is that a bad thing?

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s a bad thing because of the opportunity cost. All that dev time spent on EoTM could have been spent on WvW improvements that are far more important and urgent and a big sPvP-looking map.

I look at EotM as the thing they had to do first before they could even begin to touch any of the other major issues facing WvW. EotM gives ANET the freedom to try different stuff out in a WvW environment without breaking the entire game for those who were enjoying the current meta. Having a map to address the queue problem also allows for more of those long term game breaking issues like population balance and scoring to be addressed and hopefully lets them do so in a more creative fashion. I expect to see EotM used as both a testing ground and a 24/7 entertainment haven while the bigger problems get tinkered with on the other WvW maps.

There is no queue problem except for the top servers.

in WvW

Nabrok.9023

There is no queue problem except for the top servers.

So … there is a queue problem then?

You don’t have to go to tier 1 to find WvW queues.

Yeah, fixing a problem with WvW that mostly (or even exclusively) effects the servers that have the highest WvW populations? Makes no sense.

Also, anet was quite up front about the fact that when they launch in Asia there are guilds there that dwarf anything seen in NA/Europe and that was a big part of the reason for developing an any-time WvW experience.

All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Any idea if improvements discussed about the commander and squad system are coming with this patch? Still the biggest source of frustration for our guild is trying to organize decently in GW2 using the in game system.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Screenager.7804

Screenager.7804

no confirmation on that Ahmrill however I wouldn’t expect it if it’s not been announced

Screenager
Executed [ExE] – Piken Square
characterselect.net

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

@Marz PVE/wvw Commander over here mate..

We all know you’re a special case Rubio

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

Funny how most people on these forums can’t comprehend players as being anything but one of two things:

Such a false dichotomy…

While this is true, in most cases a PvE build vs a WvW build are miles apart. Those PvE folks wearing their neeto zerker gear will most likely on several occasions find out extremely fast what little to no defensive stats does when facing other players that are actually geared to fight other players. Like an above poster said “inb4 21k back stab, nerf thieves”.

It doesn’t mean PvE folks don’t know what they are doing, it does however mean that they are under geared for the occasion.

in WvW

Nabrok.9023

Such a false dichotomy…

While this is true, in most cases a PvE build vs a WvW build are miles apart. Those PvE folks wearing their neeto zerker gear will most likely on several occasions find out extremely fast what little to no defensive stats does when facing other players that are actually geared to fight other players. Like an above poster said “inb4 21k back stab, nerf thieves”.

It doesn’t mean PvE folks don’t know what they are doing, it does however mean that they are under geared for the occasion.

Yeah, because it’s impossible that somebody might have two sets of gear … or even two different characters!!

All classes

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

Such a false dichotomy…

Yeah, because it’s impossible that somebody might have two sets of gear … or even two different characters!!

Wow a little hostile ? if they have the gear they will be fine, if they have a secondary character geared for WvW they will be fine. The many that do not … will not be fine. Does that clear it up for you or are you just one of those people who are angry in general ?

Really doesn’t matter to me, they will either give me bags or good fights, I’m happy with either situation.

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Here you go
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Thank-you-from-the-Edge-of-the-Mists-Team/first#post3478433

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

Apparently having a few capitalised words is grounds for an infraction, well what do you know.

Okay, I’ll say it in lower case.

New WvW map, sweet. EOTM finally! Oh… Scarlet… Oh….

Not sure why they couldn’t just leave out “Scarlet”. Sure, at this point I just have a personal bias toward her; but she’s taken away from the aspects of the game I care about for far too long. How dare she actually invade them now.

Ruined before it began.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I after say that any players who have spent all there time on lower tier WvW servers where 20+ people is seen as a ‘big’ zerg are in for a shock to the system when they play EOTM.

The zergs there are going to be upto 100 vs 100 vs 100 given that the maps will be full or near full for all 3 colours.

in WvW

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Do we already know if PvP will be activated through the opening ceremony? Will we get a story instance of EOTM?

It will be fun: WvWers will kill PvEers and Scarlets minions will kill the remaining players.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Seems like we won’t be getting account bound WXP with this update.
A bit bummed about it, but then again I would rather wait a bit more than risk losing ranks to bugs or other issues.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

For those making a dichotomy between WvW vs PvE builds… it never occured to you that any of those two might be useless against EoTM builds?

A well placed fear wall might get quite a chunk of an unsuspecting bus off the edge…

in WvW

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

We really just want account WXP to be honest…. sigh

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

no confirmation on that Ahmrill however I wouldn’t expect it if it’s not been announced

Dang… While all these changes were needed/requested, the Command & Squad system is a big one for a lot of people. Hope it gets addressed soon…. doesn’t sound like this patch.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Very excited to give this piece of art a taste of Borlis brutality!
/chest thumps

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Jocksy.3415

Any idea if improvements discussed about the commander and squad system are coming with this patch? Still the biggest source of frustration for our guild is trying to organize decently in GW2 using the in game system.

It’s going to be a long time :

Okay, so before we get too far into this discussion, here is something else to think about:
Would you rather see us make some number of small improvements in the short term and larger changes long term or just tear the whole thing down and start from scratch?
To be a bit more specific, we could probably do something like multicolor markers without too much work, although it is not a given, but that would likely be the extent of things for a long period of time.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/first#post3302490

I wanted to provide some insight into what might be required for some of the types of changes that are being requested, so everyone has a clearer understanding when thinking about them.
Any change that requires significant UI, especially any new UI functionality, is a long term change. Not only does it take time to design the UI and settle on it’s appearance, it takes time to build the functionality. That is why any full on rework of the squad system will be a large project. It is important to us that when we introduce new UI elements we have fully fleshed out their place in the rest of the game UI.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/4#post3307013

Blackarps.1974:
Out of the suggestions given so far, how many do you think will be put into action? Which ones? When is the earliest we could see a change to the commander system?
I have a ton of other questions and could talk to you about GW2 for hours. I wish you had some time to do so
I think it’s hard to say how many but from the other CDI threads I know they spawn a lot of discussions internally and give a lot of different perspectives on the issue. I think overall this discussions will help shape the feature and backlog list of things to do with commander which could lead to many ideas here spawning improvements. As for time frame thats not really what this thread is for so I’ll dodge roll that question.
Hit me up in game if I’m not doing something I’m always up for discussing/debating. Char name is Izzy or Izzys Rose.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/7#post3310946

Perhaps the largest question I still have, how would everyone feel if the only changes to commander were the smaller scale ones? The other stuff is super interesting and has a lot of promise, but is also a major task and one I can’t make any guarantees about. I suppose the crux of the question is how priority is the rest of the stuff, if the smaller bits are taken care of? Would the commander system be functional enough with more markers, guild only tags, less suppression, better supplyinfo, and possibly additional marker shapes?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/8#post3314842

in WvW

Jocksy.3415

And some more :

Johje Holan.4607:
Why does making simple changes now preclude making larger changes down the road?

It does not, but it’s important to understand what down the road might mean. It could be a few months or it could be much longer. Any changes would be prioritized in terms of what the entire company is working on. If we don’t think those changes are the best use of resources, it could be a long time. And part of determining that is figuring out how well the system works as it stands. We have finite resources in terms of people and we put them to work on whatever most benefits the game as a whole. That is why I want a gauge of how important it is to you.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/8#post3314842

Chidori.9483:
I fully expect major projects to spring from this initiative, in fact, I thought it was the point.
The point of this initiative is not to create major projects but to discuss the basic principles behind the design of our game with you all. That can mean explaining why we didn’t do something one way or explaining why we did do it a certain way. It also means that through that discussion we get a better sense of the best versions of many of the things we intend to work on at some point or ideas for changes that can be made to existing parts of the game. It is not a forum for making demands of what we absolutely must do, nor should the expectation be that whatever we are talking about right now is going to show up next month. If you are expecting to see any of the things we have discussed happening quickly, you should adjust that expectation. Some of it could, but the simple fact that we are discussing it here is not a promise to that effect.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/10#post3319054