FA Giving Back to the Community

in WvW

Posted by: Pervin.5036

Pervin.5036

Given the recent tragic events at the Boston Marathon this past week, the WvW players of Fort Aspenwood have decided to use their love of Guild Wars 2 and in particular, our love of WvW, to help. A number of players in our community are beginning a pledge drive to support the victims and their families. Individuals will be posting their pledges, however, they will mostly have a WvW flavor to them (thus the post in the WvW forums)… several donations will be based upon the number of player kills, yak slaps, keep captures and other unique metrics.

To help focus our efforts, we have chosen the Massachusetts Governor and Boston mayor formed One Fund Boston Inc. as our charity. The One Fund Boston is applying for 501©(3) and thus, all donations will be eligible as a tax write off. Companies such as CVS, Bank of America, Adidas, AT&T and Bain Capital, as well as local sports teams (Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics) have already made contributions so you can be assured that this is in fact an actual charity and not a scam.

Information on The One Fund Boston and a link to donate are located at: http://onefundboston.org/

We welcome anyone else who wants to participate to post their pledges in this thread as the GW2 player-base has amazing potential to help through its inter-connectivity and strong community. While we are enemies on the battle field, at the end of the day we are all human.

[HB] Commander Skarlack – Necro
http://blackgatewvw.com/

in WvW

Posted by: IRSyKo.5843

IRSyKo.5843

I’m glad to be apart of this, I urge others to become apart of this to help those who were affected by this tragedy

Through discipline, we prevail.
[BT]
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by IRSyKo.5843)

in WvW

Posted by: Araldir.3524

Araldir.3524

I’m glad to be apart of this, I urge others to become apart of this to help those who were affected by this tragedy

Me too! I’m glad to help!

Fake Elementalist
[VK]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Pervin.5036

Well to throw out a WvW related pledge, for reset weekend this week (Friday to Sunday night midnight ET) I will donate 25 cents for every kill I get (playing a necro lets just say ranges between 600-1000 per day) and $5 for every yak killed.

As a side note, a lot of companies march charitable donations or some portion of them.

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Well to throw out a WvW related pledge, for reset weekend this week (Friday to Sunday night midnight ET) I will donate 25 cents for every kill I get (playing a necro lets just say ranges between 600-1000 per day) and $5 for every yak killed.

As a side note, a lot of companies march charitable donations or some portion of them.

cool i’m gonna do the same.Maybe other servers will join aswell!Would be great!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Was gonna say, this is a wonderful idea. Even though I’m not on FA I’m going to try to raise some money this weekend for those affected in Boston. Thank you for the link and the post OP, my thoughts go out to all those in pain from this tragedy.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: Ruq.5396

Ruq.5396

This is very cool. I would promote anyone doing anything they can to help.

Thank you for setting this up, and I hope the entire WvW community rallies behind this.

Commander Ruq
Guild Leader, Commander – Dissentient [DIS]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: nibbles.2408

nibbles.2408

I am quite broke so I cannot pledge much. But I will pledge $1.00 for every 50 supply used throughout the week. So that’s about $0.02 for every 1 supply used.

Wechlas [Echo]
Charr Ranger
Fort Aspenwood (www.fort-aspenwood.com)

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I donated the price of Guild Wars 2 to One Fund Boston. My husband has family nearby; a cousin who ran the marathon last year.

“This email confirms that you have donated $60.00 USD to The One Fund Boston, Inc. using PayPal.”

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Haldunius.7864

Haldunius.7864

This is a great idea. We’ve got a huge base to work with through these forums.

I’m in at $0.10/kill for this coming week starting at reset; min. of $50.

FA Mesmo – [VK]
Last words – “I’m going to jump off this cliff
and pull all those guys down cuz they’ll die.”

in WvW

Posted by: Karykarywook.2481

Karykarywook.2481

This is why I love FA. Great idea. Heading there now.

KaryKarwook of Team Sarcasm – Fort Aspenwood
Representing RET in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

I just want to drop in to let you know that this initiative makes me feel incredibly proud of the Guild Wars 2 community, you folks rock!

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

I’m very much with Martin here, this is awesome.

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

I’ll donate as well this Sunday, but via a different organization that I’ve trusted since I’ve seen it myself that the leader of that organization came to help and brought helps directly to the affected location during hurricane Katrina.

This is why I love FA. Great idea.

Same here.
Great idea, guys ^-^

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Faux Taux.9834

Faux Taux.9834

Being that my old stomping grounds are in the Boston area and I worked there for many years I’ve been wanting to do something too. I have a lot of family and friends there. Then I see this thread (Chaba passed it along) and realized why I like this community so much. And I’m following along with Chaba our fearless NERF leader and donating the price of the game since it’s free trial weekend as well.

FA is a great community. Glad to be part of it.

“This email confirms that you have donated $60.00 USD to The One Fund Boston, Inc.” Just got my confirmation back, and I hope we have a lot of participation.

Faux

Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

As WvWer on Sancutm of Rall who live in downtown Boston outside of Kenmore Square, this is really outstanding. Thanks so much to everyone!

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in WvW

Posted by: RoninDB.9540

RoninDB.9540

I’ll donate $20 for this cause… but Holy Pickles and his guild have to dance with me naked or with a tonic on.. at the Windmill on FA BL this week. Jayne will bring the cookies. Whadda ya say?

Thanks for doing this, such a nice gesture, FA. I’m from New England. You made my day.

Zero Negative [ZN]
Public Relations/Inter-Guild Relations Officer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by RoninDB.9540)

in WvW

Posted by: Kreaven.3172

Kreaven.3172

FA and TC do not always see eye to eye but this is amazing. FA you guys rock for putting this together!

Commander Ravana Mace[CERN] – 80 Ranger
~Tarnished Coast since the beginning

in WvW

Posted by: Zerath.9862

Zerath.9862

It is amazing how great ideas roll like a snowball… pretty much someone said " hey lets do a charity drive" and BAM! WvW charity drive is born.

I’d like that the whole WvW community can contribute to this. Set yourself an objective like 2 cents for every kill, or a dollar for every camp/tower/keep taken. Or just give an amount you are comfortable with.

Communities like this are VERY hard to come by, and like the devs I am proud of the whole Guild Wars 2 community.

Lets do this!

Victoria Voss – Itelev
Fort Aspenwood
Reticle [RET]

in WvW

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

Classy. Very Classy. Thank you guys for thinking of this. I will be donating $1 for every item I have to repair in WvWvW. Guess I will be doing suicide runs in EB tonight!

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: Quenta.2978

Quenta.2978

We of the Black Talons and Fort Aspenwood greatly encourage people to donate to help the fine people and brothers/sisters of Boston.

in WvW

Posted by: Aytrix.4059

Aytrix.4059

This really shows the true colors of my fellow FAers. Thanks to all those who set this up.

I’m a poor college student, so my pledge will be $.02 for each kill this weekend. Hopefully can get that up to 30-40 dollars. Look out TC and Kain.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.5024

Chris.5024

This is an amazing idea and I’m really happy to be a part of FA and the best community in GW2!

Malose
Black Talons Gaming [BT]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Blrrgh.6908

Blrrgh.6908

I will donate $1.00 for every badge that I pick up in WvW. I encourage all of my fellow FA’ers to do what they can. The shock and emotional damage of something like this echoes for many people throughout their lives.

in WvW

Posted by: cornelius.7830

cornelius.7830

Just gave $15 to this cause*******************************************************************

Server: Jade Quarry [US] Guild: Shadow Gypsies Main: Cornelius Millright (H/W)
Other toons: Lanofthebat(A/T)

in WvW

Posted by: Andy.9137

Andy.9137

I’ll donate $20 for this cause… but Holy Pickles and his guild have to dance with me naked or with a tonic on.. at the Windmill on FA BL this week. Jayne will bring the cookies. Whadda ya say?

Thanks for doing this, such a nice gesture, FA. I’m from New England. You made my day.

This can be arranged.

I’m pretty poor right now but I can chip in a maybe $10 or so.

in WvW

Posted by: strafe.5972

strafe.5972

Not often you see server communities reach out for a good cause, really happy with my community as a whole!

I’ll be giving $10 as well and spreading the word to others about this!

Amateur Swami – Norn Warrior
[Shh] Soft Human Hands
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Im at 25$ already :-)

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: BLKNovember.5620

BLKNovember.5620

This is very good, thank you.

[PRX] Deadly Proximity
Radik of Aeon – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: SlaphappySam.2168

SlaphappySam.2168

I will be pledging 5 cents for every kill this weekend along with 50 cents for every kill with a ballista.

Stalwort Rumpington – Guardian
[PRO] – Protectorate of Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Gellor.6497

Gellor.6497

Wow this is awesome, I will give money in the morning! Thanks for setting this up BT/FA

Bodacious Gellor/Adela Grace/Cherry Poptartz [rB]
www.recklessbravery.com
DB since Headstart

in WvW

Posted by: Shelleroy Jenkins.1048

Shelleroy Jenkins.1048

I’m going to donate $0.50 per WvW invader killed by Sunday at 9pm, counting up from 1,754 current kills (sshhh… don’t make fun of my low number).

Attachments:

Sheanna [BLA] — asura mesmer
Fort Aspenwwod

in WvW

Chaba.5410

The FA WvWvW community picked The One Boston Fund, but feel free to donate a Guild Wars 2 themed donation this weekend to any charity of your choice.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: Silke.1695

Silke.1695

I would like to ask for the moderators to pin this to the top of the page for a few weeks if possible. It’s important enough to make sure it remains visible so that our respective communities can each participate. Might I even suggest cross posting a similar thread in the PvE areas?

Good on you guys! This was a really nice thing to do. It’s great to see the group of us come together when life gets real. Makes me proud to be a member of the GW2 community of players.

Toasted Coaster

in WvW

Posted by: Andy.9137

Andy.9137

I would like to ask for the moderators to pin this to the top of the page for a few weeks if possible. It’s important enough to make sure it remains visible so that our respective communities can each participate. Might I even suggest cross posting a similar thread in the PvE areas?

Good on you guys! This was a really nice thing to do. It’s great to see the group of us come together when life gets real. Makes me proud to be a member of the GW2 community of players.

Good idea

in WvW

Pervin.5036

Thanks for the strong support so far.

As mentioned above, if a moderator is still reading this, please consider pinning this for at least a week and changing the subject from “FA” to “GW2” since people from other servers are participating. While FA might have come up with the idea, its the GW2 community as a whole participating.

in WvW

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

if a moderator is still reading this, please consider pinning this for at least a week

If they don’t read this anymore, you can best PM a DEV for this, they can pass the message.

It’s probably not proper protocol to ask for a sticky to a DEV, but for cases like this they should make an exception, me think.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in WvW

Posted by: Bee.6239

Bee.6239

Don’t have that much of a bank:p but 0.05/kill tonight will do

in WvW

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

I will donate what I can

<3 FA

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Shelleroy Jenkins.1048

Shelleroy Jenkins.1048

I’m going to donate $0.50 per WvW invader killed by Sunday at 9pm, counting up from 1,754 current kills (sshhh… don’t make fun of my low number).

I’m up to $26 since last night.

Sheanna [BLA] — asura mesmer
Fort Aspenwwod

in WvW

Posted by: Immorelle.6350

Immorelle.6350

My donation will be be sent Monday morning, $1 (wish it could be more) for every gold earned in wvw this weekend.

~ Reanna Matrix
[BT], FA.

in WvW

Posted by: ganeshori.6309

ganeshori.6309

every penny counts…. even if a person donates just one dollar. 50 thousand others that donate just a dollar….it all adds up in the end. So anybody that thinks that what they can afford isn’t enough, needs to understand that. You my friends, make a difference in all our lives.

Glad to see this happening.

Sgt Rock / Necrotic Charm —- Dcon
2nd Battalion / 5th Marines – Hotel Company – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

Just cause you don’t agree with this cause, people trying to do good don’t deserve to be trolled. Please pick a new thread to troll as there are many to pick from

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

As “tragic” as the Boston thing was/is, I’m not so sure it needs as much publicity as it’s been given. Terrorism is a fire of which is fed by the fears of people, and fueled by the media over coverage. To point, only 3 people [sadly] died, yet people are trying to get these charity things up in the $100,000’s to millions. For what purpose is the excess money?

You know what’s a worse off event? How about the fertilizer plant explosion in Texas that already as 20+ dead and more unaccounted for (60ish?). That is a far more tragic event that could use donated charity money much more than the Boston thing. There’s also the Earthquake that hit China and over 180+ dead. Tragic, horrible, and needs far more help as more people are effected by that than the Boston thing.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

As I wrote above, feel free to donate to the charity of your choice a Guild Wars 2 related donation and help out in your community. Please keep this thread on topic and refrain from making comparisons of suffering and talk about which tragedy is more deserving of help. Thank you.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

As “tragic” as the Boston thing was/is, I’m not so sure it needs as much publicity as it’s been given. Terrorism is a fire of which is fed by the fears of people, and fueled by the media over coverage. To point, only 3 people [sadly] died, yet people are trying to get these charity things up in the $100,000’s to millions. For what purpose is the excess money?

You know what’s a worse off event? How about the fertilizer plant explosion in Texas that already as 20+ dead and more unaccounted for (60ish?). That is a far more tragic event that could use donated charity money much more than the Boston thing. There’s also the Earthquake that hit China and over 180+ dead. Tragic, horrible, and needs far more help as more people are effected by that than the Boston thing.

I completely agree, You know how many of your fellow Americans die on an annual basis in the war on terrorism? Or how many hungry / homeless american families living in shelters, foster homes, or on the streets? Or anywhere for that matter. And the kids in foster homes being abused or growing up around ex convicts or drugs. This Boston thing, sad yes, but its not the first time something like this happened, there is a lot more going on in the world that’s far worse that’s been going on a lot longer too.

Crazy Leg

in WvW

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

While you guys are absolutely correct, keep in mind this thread is for Boston victims of the marathon bombings. Like I said before, no one is preventing any of you from doing something similar for any number of other causes or charities, but please don’t come into this thread and try to ruin something that aims to help others in a time of need – it shows a lack of true character and understanding.

Again, no one is stopping you from doing something similar and creating your own drive for donations/charities.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Chaba.5410

The comparison of suffering does little to alleviate it. Let us not diminish compassion by trying to quantify suffering.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Tholian.6321

Tholian.6321

And who’s to say we won’t be doing charity drives for these also? There is nothing preventing that. I will personally be looking for these to happen as well.

I think the big difference here:

West, Texas: Thus far, this has been ruled an industrial accident. No news here in Texas to the contrary.

China earthquake: Pretty certain this falls under “act of nature”

Boston bombing: This was a deliberate act – and these tend to get the most attention at onset.

All three are tragic events. All three deserve our notice. And hopefully, all three will get that notice.

Or perhaps two other servers will step up and start charity drives for each of those events. Anyone care to take up that mantle?

Brax
WvW Freelancer
Blackgate

(edited by Tholian.6321)

in WvW

Posted by: DaBleuberry.1780

DaBleuberry.1780

This is an amazing idea and I am going to see if I could get it spread into Ferguson’s Crossing.

Ássurance [ÆSS] ~Lablueberry