Female Char called keep "lords"

in WvW

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Its 2016 for gods sake, why has nobody noticed that all the Keep Lords in Eternal and Alpine Borderlands are Charr Females. Why aren’t they called Keep Ladies?

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: CutesySylveon.8290

CutesySylveon.8290

Can’t tell if troll, or stupid priorities…

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

No this is an awesome question

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

The majority of objective bosses are females, actually. EOTM included.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Umm if you are engaged or married you soon learn that She is the Boss, the lord, the queen of the house.

Resistance is futile, been trying for years to start a revolution against my wife. You will fail.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Because it doesn’t matter?
Besides are you a Charr irl? Maybe they refer to their Female Keep Lords as … Lords.

How’s about we focus on some stuff that matters, isn’t it bad enough the feminists feel they need to change everything else in the world to justify their insecurities? The world will still be rotating tomorrow if this isn’t changed.

Just like every other title, there was no malicious intent behind it when the name was created.

in WvW

Posted by: Fernshade.9016

Fernshade.9016

I’m pretty sure this is just a troll, but I will say that the title of lord has been given to plenty of females. I don’t think it’s anything to get worked up over.

Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck [ICEE]

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Why arent they called Keep Kittens?

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

And there is a rogue underscore in one of the objectives. Can you spot it?… :/

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Did you just assume their gender? How dare you?
Why there isn’t a apache helicopter gender in the beginning?

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE.

Pumpkin – Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

nobody noticed since they arent all half naked like all the other females in the game

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

nobody noticed since they arent all half naked like all the other females in the game

yeha i vote for decent armor for the lord.. i ment Keep ladies.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Have to admit, as a male gamer sometimes I get an soft armor skin and I go “really…..” when I preview. I can see why females get so irritated sometimes lol

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Male pronouns are accepted a gender neutral in English (Refer to a person whose gender you don’t know or don’t want to distinguish as he. They is a plural pronoun and is therefore incorrect). Technically, there is nothing wrong with calling the female charr “keep lords” if they’re okay with it.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Aeros.2046

They don’t seem okay with it though. Every time I talk to them they sound so kittened. And they have to hear the commanders all the time telling everyone to “Kill the Lord”.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

What about Queen Bee?

in WvW

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This oversight is something WvW Devs should focus on fixing. When you check your priorities at the door like I have, you come to notice the imperfections in life. Female charr deserve to be honored and respected for being the beautiful humanoids they are.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Sith Lords are Lords despite being male or female. I guess the same applies to Keep Lords.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
MĂ«rcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The game is in irl languages. For characters, we have to assume that they are hearing their native tongues. Who is to say that the Charr do not have a unisex title which translates to “Lord?”

in WvW

Aeros.2046

They don’t. Charr follow military rank structure in. Legionary, Centurian, Tribune, Legate, Imperator.

Calling them “Lords” is an of itself a humanocentric culturual agression against the Charr Race. The title “Lord” does not exist in Charr culture. The fact that it is a male appelation applied to Charr females is simply the icing on the cake.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Aeros.2046

Also, I am serious. Why do we hide the fact the Keep lords are female as an Easter egg? This seems one of those things that would be seriously lore worthy. Charr females as the last line of defense in the mist wars. Really fitting for their racial story that is all about proving they can be soldiers too.

…wait, WvW. Lore. Story mode. Never mind.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

(edited by Aeros.2046)

in WvW

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

What if they wanted to be called that, did you just assume their gender?

Kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I cant tell the difference between a charr male and female in the end of the day

I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

Seriously all they have to do is call her “Madam of the Keep” or “Lady BurntKeep”. It’s a big oversight for Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Are they truly females? They sound pretty manly to me.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Are they truly females? They sound pretty manly to me.

If you weighed 300kg and had a mouth that could swallow a skritt whole you’d probably sound pretty manly too.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

100% game breaking. Literally unplayable now. Can’t ever step into wvw until this is fixed.. what ever shall we do.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I though its gender neutral when talking in military turns.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Unless you are a Sith, “lord” is hardly a military rank.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Unless you are a Sith, “lord” is hardly a military rank.

Sith? Military term?

Careful Dawdler, your nerd is showing

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Male pronouns are accepted a gender neutral in English (Refer to a person whose gender you don’t know or don’t want to distinguish as he. They is a plural pronoun and is therefore incorrect). Technically, there is nothing wrong with calling the female charr “keep lords” if they’re okay with it.

Male pronouns are not “accepted” as gender-neutral in English: even the Oxford dictionary labels that practice as “outdated and sexist,” and they’re generally the last to come around. Your high school teacher may have been old enough to have taught otherwise, but they were wrong.

Even if that weren’t the case, it wouldn’t follow that because a pronoun is used a certain way, other appellations can also be used the same way with the same implications. English just doesn’t work like that: as Joanna Russ pointed out, if it did, the phrase “female man” would be an acceptable and understandable word for an adult female, and we all know it’s not.

This is all gender theory from a good 40 years ago, and the fact that people haven’t cottoned on by now is part and parcel of why “Lord” is a problem and this thread exists. A female character should not be called a word that is, in modern usage, both denotatively and connotatively male—regardless of existing exceptions in Ye Olde England. It’s tone-deaf at best.

But the important thing is this: you said there’s nothing wrong with it “if they’re okay with it.”

I suspect you meant this to be witty, but in-game lore tells us that gender equity is new and hard-bought for Charr females. The fact that ANet even wrote that into their game—as well as the Charr females’ non-sexualized physical appearance (anyone who bothers to be observant will be able to tell the difference between Charr females and males)—was clearly an attempt for ANet to catch their game up to the 20th century, which they really had to do once they made Charr characters playable. They tried to make up for having written Charr (and dwarves, IIRC, and possibly Forgotten and Seers—I can’t remember) as species with no females viewable in GW1 at all.

That they would even make that error in the first place is embarrassing.

So, sure, kudos to ANet for trying to rectify past sexism somewhat by making the Charr tale be an inherently feminist tale, and to reflect that in their character design.

But from a writing perspective, it just becomes embarrassing again when you realize that they haven’t thought it through so that their game is actually operating on the level they clearly wanted it to. That’s not simply a sexist failure—it’s a failure of good writing and sound thinking. A good spec fic writer will follow through the cultural implications of their worldbuilding and have that be reflected in the language within the work.

So yeah, frankly, Charr females would probably not want to be called by a male title. And really, in terms of design, it’s a false dilemma to say that the only choices are “lord/lady” or race-specific choices. Last I checked, there were plenty of Veteran Supervisors running around; there are other gender-neutral names that indicate authority in the English language.

And just how do women become so invisible that a modern game company can consistently and persistently make female characters invisible or nonexistent in their content, even in today’s day and age? Jotun still don’t have females in the game, do they? Citing “They have a sexist society!” is disingenuous when we all know it’s probably because it never occurred to someone to design a female model or make the character models and dialogue gender-neutral. GW1 all over again, great job. Seriously, ANet, catch up.

Could it…by chance…I dunno…be at all correlated to the fact that women are made invisible through our use of language?

And that’s why this matters.

in WvW

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

Woah woah woah, just because the “lord” or “lady” presented themself as a “female” based on your ASSUMPTION on how a stereotypical female looks like, that doesn’t mean the npc is a female
I mean cmon like you said it’s 2016, you see someone wearing a dress with a weave on they turn to you and talk with a deep voice you can assume something from that, but that person is a really a gorilla… Cmon it’s 2016, gorillas have rights also

in WvW

Posted by: dragonrage.8921

dragonrage.8921

Ok so lets get this straight with all the other problems with this game you choose to emphasize the female “lady” of the keep being called a lord…. So lets put everything aside, game balance, expansions, wvw population and proper match composition and pvp tournaments just because your offended…… get over it its a game if you don’t like it LEAVE.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I mean cmon like you said it’s 2016, you see someone wearing a dress with a weave on they turn to you and talk with a deep voice you can assume something from that, but that person is a really a gorilla… Cmon it’s 2016, gorillas have rights also

Assumptions are for the scientifically impaired.

As an Asura, I can assure you that when I see a really, really tall Charr wearing a dress, I see everything.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

This must be one of the reason people quitted. How dare they call a female lord??? Most gamebreaking issue ever.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

I think the first step in gender-equality would be to not mistake irrelevant coincidences as sexist. Because they will always happen and if people point them out everytime the coincidence happens for one gender only, then the focus and the attention will always stay on gender/gender-differences instead of giving the people the opportunity to judge others by important means. So stop looking up that lords dress and start judging the lord for being a charr instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

I’m sorry but I have far more important things to worry about like the 50+ unruly door to door sales people that just dropped 4 catapults with shields. I can only guess they aren’t going to take “go away” for an answer and they didn’t see the “no solicitors” signs on the gates and walls.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

in WvW

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Please blog about the sexist Anet cesspigs on your tumblr account and call it a day.

Bad Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

I sexually identify as a tower. All of these oppressive “Keep Lords” need to check their privilege.

in WvW

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Sith Lords are Lords despite being male or female. I guess the same applies to Keep Lords.

Sith still use Lord/Lady on names. “Sith Lord” is a rank. The conversational title is still Lady for females.
Ex: Rhea’s proper rank is “Sith Lord Rhea”
However she is referred to as “Lady Rhea” conversationally.

This doesn’t apply to GW2 unless we are to assume that “Keep Lord” is a rank and not simply a title. Even then “Lady” would still be appropriate.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in WvW

Posted by: VagaMule.1658

VagaMule.1658

Or ‘Keep In the Kitchen’.

in WvW

Posted by: Veka.8710

Veka.8710

Its 2016 for gods sake, why has nobody noticed that all the Keep Lords in Eternal and Alpine Borderlands are Charr Females. Why aren’t they called Keep Ladies?

It’s 2016 hence why it don’t matter…why do you need to make words gender exclusive? But I do get your point though and I wish Anet had thought it out more…but to be fair they probably just overlooked it.

What do you call a female lord?
The appellation “lord” is primarily applied to men, while for women the appellation “lady” is used. However, this is no longer universal: the Lord of Mann, a title currently held by the Queen of the United Kingdom, and female Lord Mayors are examples of women who are styled Lord.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Why can’t lords be female?

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I take objection to your micro-aggression, it should be “Why aren’t xe called Keep Ladies?”!

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

It’s 2016 hence why it don’t matter…why do you need to make words gender exclusive?

Well when you know the gender…

Here in Sweden kittened media has taken to gender neutral nomination of “han” (he) and “hon” (she) by simply calling everyone “hen”.

And yes, its exactly as stupid as it sounds for a country where most people use English daily. Today you will find such beautiful headlines like “Hen wins debate!” and its probably more true than anything.

in WvW

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

OMG!!!! Call Anita Sarkeesian alert tumbler someone is TRIGGERD!!!!

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader