GW2 Livestream: Edge of the Mists

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Anet should have made a smaller neutral borderland map a long time ago with 1 central keep, 3 native towers, and 3 camps. This could be used for very low pop servers and dynamically created on high pop servers when there are queues everywhere on weekend nights. It would even make a sound basis for official WvW based GvG, or maybe even a new PvP format that is a 2 hour WvW match between 3 teams or something.

Will they do anything like this though? No, we’ll still be playing the same maps when WvW is totally dead on every server probably, unless future expansions re-envision the format rather than just dumping more broken classes into it.

Welp, I was wrong, very wrong. I like the new concept a lot, keeping the fun stuff of wvw without the boring ppt aspects. The chokes on the map are a bit worrying, but we’ll have to see how it plays before writing that off as boring zerg plinky dinking.

I’m also really hoping this leads into sPvP gear or some sort of new gear system that is a balance between the sPvP gear and PvE gear. This could be a very epic and exciting format if anet stays committed to it and removing entry barriers instead of creating them.

in WvW

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

“Here is also a new feature of the edge of the mist falling off the edge is very punishing” sorry looks like butts, skyhammer 2.0. Let me guess when you release it you gona implement a cannon or glass that breaks riiiiiight?

in WvW

Posted by: Griswold.2054

Griswold.2054

Map seems nice, but way to many way to push people off. I’ll skip. Sounds and looks like griefing heaven.

There’s a lot of space so it is up to you to not put yourself into position where you can be pushed off the cliff

I know, but imo there should be nothing like places you can push/stom/shoot people off. It’s something I really dislike and I hope other people too.

Watched the stream yesterday with some guildmates via ts3 and we were all wondering if the devs play with perma stability. Of course kicking someone into his death is fun in wvw and being aware of your surroundings and the map is part of pvp, but it seems a huge part of the map seems just to be designed for that kind of griefing.
I will have my fun abusing it (I loved Tor Anroc, some may remember that scenario in WAR) but I worry that the pvp part is being neglected if it all boils down to who has the most stability and fears/kicks & pulls.

I mean the most hilarious moment was when the dev on his own only fighting the npc with no player interference did mess up just that one dodgeroll and fell into his death.

(edited by Griswold.2054)

in WvW

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

Watched the stream yesterday with some guildmates via ts3 and we were all wondering if the devs play with perma stability. Of course kicking someone into his death is fun in wvw and being aware of your surroundings and the map is part of pvp, but it seems a huge part of the map seems just to be designed for that kind of griefing.

QFT.
I think it is okay if you can fall to death in some places, but the whole map is so small and narrow and you dont have one bigger open field. Thats just too much. This wont be fun to play with so much CC.

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Hrm, not promising if there are too many places to get knocked off and fall to your death. People who want to fight don’t want to win or lose that way.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

Every video of zerg play is pretty much the same

Every rugby game video for me is pretty much the same. Just because I’m not versed in rules, meta, tactics details etc. Every zerg video otoh for me is quite different though.

I spend most nights 7v20-30 and I am not versed in the game enough to understand zerg play videos… carebear central is to pro for me I guess.

in WvW

Posted by: Yaro.3251

Yaro.3251

Most probably.

Team Aggression [TA] – Golden Horde [GH]

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I hope this game gets accepted into eSports already so the WvW community will not keep getting cover up content and start getting meaningful and game altering updates. The main reason I bought this game was for the WvW, now I’m looking at other games that have their kitten together.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Looks cool, but I think majority of battles are going to revolve around knocking the other player off cliff. :o Even in Skyhammer on my Guardian I don’t even fight people seriously, I killed 13 ppl in a row just using shield 5 last time. :s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in WvW

Posted by: Paxus.6543

Paxus.6543

This preview left me with many reservations about this map. Most glaring to me is the fact that the focus seems to be on pve battles as opposed to making a map that encourages and funnels players into fights against each other. Also from what i could see people can be knocked off all over this map which will cause nothing but aggravation. I could see getting knocked off like 5 times in a row, having to run all the way back each time and saying screw this.
Also in regards to these maps being limited to the respected server matchups would definitely be the wrong way to go with this. It will just be another map with a lopsided match up just like the main WvW maps with the low population server getting dumped on like always. Populating each instance of the map with folks from every server seems like the way to go. The sides in this new map could be determined by the colors for the weeks match up. All the servers that are red, green, and blue will be grouped together to populate each side of the map. By going this way the server balance issues will have no impact on this new map. Why take something that is broken already and translate it to this map, that makes no sense to me.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

How can people claim that it is more about PvE?
Of course it would look like PvE when they were ALONE on the map.
The regular WvW-maps would also look like PvE if you were running around on your own.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

1. No to new gear
2. The fun stuff about WvW is player fights. This map is more about PvE.

I agree that actual PvP is the most fun in wvw, be it anything from a duel, to roaming, to blob vs. blob (when the server functions). I don’t know how you can complain about the new map possibly being too much PvE while defending the use of PvE gear. We need a better system so much less time is wasted just getting setup to play wvw, and you don’t feel increasingly locked into one build / role / character.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

So let me get this straight, this map will be server vs server too? oO
Really, you guys can’t make a alliance system where you choose what side of the map you spawn?
Predicting the same exact problems/playstyle and in WvW.
just watch the champ trains coming..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

-snip-

Just watch the champ trains coming..

Quoted for truth

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: TPenny.5071

TPenny.5071

A minor suggestion:

1) Instead of everyone starting with a keep really far from each other, why not have all the servers start relatively close to the middle.
The 3 spawn points should be on ships circling the centre of the map, so no server is ever closer to one keep or another.
For example like this: http://imgur.com/ugFGwYy

2) Have all 3 keeps neutral at the start.

3) The harder monsters drop 1-2 supply, similar to dolyaks chance to drop 5.

Some of the effects:
-This will create more epic fights over who can cap it first.
-Then strategic manoeuvring or dodging to return to a keep after death during a siege.
-Roaming in enemy territory and node defence will be more balanced as you cannot get back to your bases any faster than your enemy can.
-Finally maybe a use for having PvE mobs inside a WvW arena, this could make things interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

ppt for overflow? lal… let more populated servers to win no matter what?

Not for overflow. For a 5th map, which would happen to be this one, and which one would have to queue for, just like the others. Doesn’t change anything to infinite copies of this map being used as non-scoring overflow.

Heck, if a 5th map really makes people that angry, just swap the Borderlands map with this one every other week.

the more populated server will play with one other full map against the less populated servers 10-20 men in the overflow. no thx.
less populated servers often gathering on one map what makes queu on one map and wastelands on others. this will make an overflow map and let the other server to absolutly dominate.
one more scenario: every map is full from every side. its good its make a balanced game. but if overflows open the most populated will win.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

I’m actually excited. It looks incredibly beautiful and to be honest MOST people don’t care about PPT in WvW anyways, all they care about is champ boxes and achivements (not even wxp).
So please reduce as much as possible loot rewards/karma/achivements in this place.

Also, maybe adding a buff like stability that you can cap/comune with or something like that?
Considering how easy it would be to knock/fear players off the edges, and that not every class has a lot of access to stability/stun breakers, and that safe fall traits won’t help, I think falling shouldn’t be “very punishing”.

And last question, will we be able to right click on someone in our party and “Join in overflow”? And if so, will we be able to choose teams? It would be awesome to be able to play with/against friends from our server and other servers too.

Bläck Dähliä

in WvW

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

Some thing look nice and interesting some not

Good things coming in mind:
- Maybe better place for not zerging
- Fun sounding “objectives”

Bad things coming in mind:
- Skyhammer
- OMG everyone always falling of the edge

Really please. I don’t know many people who actually like skyhammer, actually I don’t know anyone. It is cool that there are some spots where you can push people off the edge but please not too much. Skyhammer is very good example how cool things can go over the top. I don’t think anyone wants it to become stability wars or cc wars.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in WvW

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

ppt for overflow? lal… let more populated servers to win no matter what?

Not for overflow. For a 5th map, which would happen to be this one, and which one would have to queue for, just like the others. Doesn’t change anything to infinite copies of this map being used as non-scoring overflow.

Heck, if a 5th map really makes people that angry, just swap the Borderlands map with this one every other week.

the more populated server will play with one other full map against the less populated servers 10-20 men in the overflow. no thx.
less populated servers often gathering on one map what makes queu on one map and wastelands on others. this will make an overflow map and let the other server to absolutly dominate.
one more scenario: every map is full from every side. its good its make a balanced game. but if overflows open the most populated will win.

As i wrote above, if a 5th map makes too many people angry, why not have a regular rotation of old borderlands and edge of the mists?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I had at least some hope for Edge of the Mists, but if it is going to be a small map with cramped spaces where you fall to your death a lot … the hell with that.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

I love it, you gotta watch where you step, be aware of where your fighting, and kill stuff!

I hope they do another vid with the 2 people switching spots, I wanna see her wooping some mobs into puddles on the ground hehe.

the designers spent a lot of time on this and I say THANKS!

Sincerly, Me.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I love it, you gotta watch where you step, be aware of where your fighting, and kill stuff!

I hope they do another vid with the 2 people switching spots, I wanna see her wooping some mobs into puddles on the ground hehe.

the designers spent a lot of time on this and I say THANKS!

Yeah … that works fine if you just stand in one spot and spam your #1 key. It’s a different story if your game play revolves around lots of motion, dodging, and flying attacks (and no, I don’t mean Heartseeker).

Besides, it doesn’t count for squat that the designers spent a lot of time on it if it still has major flaws.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Procop.1579

Procop.1579

hello

very happy with how the map looks and stuff.

One question i have seen the twitch video about the Edge of the mists in the video it has been said that there wont be any Dolyaks the supply caravans on Edge of the mists map.

If that is correct then how will the map work in the progression of the meta regarding WvWvW achievements. If all the achievements are able to be done on the Edge of the mists map then its a good sign for the WvWvW player base because then there will be a lot less ques on the normal maps.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Well, not all achievements need to be doable on the map.
Currently there are several achievements that can’t be done on all maps after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: dimachaerus.4962

dimachaerus.4962

A minor suggestion:

1) Instead of everyone starting with a keep really far from each other, why not have all the servers start relatively close to the middle.
The 3 spawn points should be on ships circling the centre of the map, so no server is ever closer to one keep or another.
For example like this: http://imgur.com/ugFGwYy

2) Have all 3 keeps neutral at the start.

3) The harder monsters drop 1-2 supply, similar to dolyaks chance to drop 5.

Some of the effects:
-This will create more epic fights over who can cap it first.
-Then strategic manoeuvring or dodging to return to a keep after death during a siege.
-Roaming in enemy territory and node defence will be more balanced as you cannot get back to your bases any faster than your enemy can.
-Finally maybe a use for having PvE mobs inside a WvW arena, this could make things interesting.

Anet, please listen to this.

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

I watched this and all I could think is how annoying the ranger knock back and the warrior stomp will be in certain areas of the map. Get near and edge and boom off you go.

Anyway, good idea of an over flow map. Will there be a way to Que for WvWvW without going into the overflow map? I don’t mind que’n and doing the dailies while I wait or will I be forced into the overflow?

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

It is not an overflow map like that.
It is a map that you can select to join just like the regular maps, but it will create overflows if it is full.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Aldjeron.1062

Aldjeron.1062

You mentioned the fact there are elements used on this new map that may be moved to the others, such as the ability to destroy and rebuild bridges. Are there any other things that may have this potential of transferring over? Or are you going to test new things down the road later on this map to see if it would be a viable standard for WvW maps?

I think this extra map can be a great testing bed for new ideas, and one that I would like to test is new types of siege that are GW2 only subjects. like rather thanthe typical “human historic” equipment, buildings, and layout, we need the other races represented. Especially Charr! I mean come on half the stuff is already in game!

Charr style siege cannons, or Asuran Mega Lasers that do a single blast to kill a door that needs to build up and be defended while it charges (Tequatl style) or Norn Seige Pets (like a giant minotaur) That would ram into the wall or door. Hell even Sylvari could have something like a growing vine that can grow up a wall and make it climb able. Lets not forget defenses. Charr style turret cannons, Asuran force fields, Norn battle pets that act like guards or trample areas, Sylvari vines that reinforce doors, ect. I mean come on guys…lets see some Guildwars 2 in WvW!

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

the overcrowded server will always find no one to fight in the Edge of the Mist , because for the server with outnumbered map their people will go there…

so happy PvEing in the Edge of the Mist

…. unless of course a GvG has been arrange in there….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Looks great…. But you will have to make the other maps an overall graphic update and more interesting objective as well.

The current maps look way too generic in comparison (outside of the BL ruins) and lack dynamism (like storm and weather, which were even removed).

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

Kind of reminds me of just a PVE map with PVP flags turned on. Lot of PVE content that looks a lot tougher than current WvW, and maybe that’s the point since they figure people going into these won’t be thinking about any kind of big picture scoring or outcome and will just want some interesting mechanics to engage, while they can also get WxP. Then if others players come along, hey, there’s someone to fight.

I don’t get though who is filling these factions? Is it the same 3 sides from the current week matchup, or do you just get randomly put in here with people from any other servers like a normal overflow? If so, I wouldn’t expect much cooperation or coordination, will be very chaotic.

But if it is players only from the current matchup, then you can expect a lot of one sided affairs, where say the high pop server can fill 3 queues of this map, while the other sides might be empty. Which case, I guess you still have all the mobs to take on, but IDK how interesting that will be.

Couple bigger concerns. They need to find a way for this to somehow support current WvW instead of being a possible siphon that just weakens population for many servers that already can’t fill most of the WvW maps. It almost looks like an entirely new game mode, and have to fear this game is splitting its population too thin.

Next the map itself, while it is pretty and interesting looking, there are far too many tight areas and narrow bridges where people can be knocked off, which is not fun. Mobility is already king in WvW and this will just make it more so. As someone manning a main as a Necro, this really turns me off to know classes are in no way balanced with regards to mobility and access to stability which looks all important in here.

Likewise in all the mobs, all I’m seeing is knockdown, stun, pull, and irritating mechanics if you don’t have stability up 24/7. Anet needs to think about why people hated wandering through Orr so long, and even still now to an extent, when every mob is immobilizing you, slowing you, jerking you around, etc. There have to be more ways to create challenging fights that involve thinking with your brain and not just a ton of CC, which again, dealing with is not balanced between professions.

(edited by Pendragon.8735)

in WvW

Posted by: KeeZee.7312

KeeZee.7312

I see it now. Come Monday when the matches are already decided the 2nd and 3rd servers see a big population loss because everyone is in the overflow since what they do Mon-Fri in WvW doesn’t matter anyways.

It looks to me that the new overflow will just make WvW worse and create even more PvDoor.

in WvW

Posted by: Yougottawanna.7420

Yougottawanna.7420

I’m surprised to see so much criticism. First, there aren’t THAT many narrow areas, and it’s never been easy to knock a player off a ledge if that player is paying any attention at all. I’ve been in many fights on the bridge that leads to the north inner gate of hills and never been knocked off, and I can’t remember if I’ve ever successfully knocked an enemy off either. Maybe once or twice at most. And I don’t even have stability anywhere on my bar most of the time. I just avoid putting myself between another player and the edge.

Second, the “it looks like a PvE map” criticism makes no sense to me. Of course it looks like a PvE map when there’s only one person playing it.

As for overflows, as I understand it the map will create multiple overflows per server, and then match up those overflows by the current week’s matchup first, then pair extras off against servers outside of the matchup. So in matchup ABC, if A only has one overflow but B has two, B will be matched up against a server outside that week’s matchup if they have a spare overflow.

Personally I’m looking forward to playing this map.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I see it now. Come Monday when the matches are already decided the 2nd and 3rd servers see a big population loss because everyone is in the overflow since what they do Mon-Fri in WvW doesn’t matter anyways.

It looks to me that the new overflow will just make WvW worse and create even more PvDoor.

Yes, if somebody still care about PPT they can play in normal servers. People who like to fight play in overflow.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

This preview left me with many reservations about this map. Most glaring to me is the fact that the focus seems to be on pve battles as opposed to making a map that encourages and funnels players into fights against each other. Also from what i could see people can be knocked off all over this map which will cause nothing but aggravation. I could see getting knocked off like 5 times in a row, having to run all the way back each time and saying screw this.
Also in regards to these maps being limited to the respected server matchups would definitely be the wrong way to go with this. It will just be another map with a lopsided match up just like the main WvW maps with the low population server getting dumped on like always. Populating each instance of the map with folks from every server seems like the way to go. The sides in this new map could be determined by the colors for the weeks match up. All the servers that are red, green, and blue will be grouped together to populate each side of the map. By going this way the server balance issues will have no impact on this new map. Why take something that is broken already and translate it to this map, that makes no sense to me.

It is an of map what do you expect. It is something to do when qued and has no impact on WvW. An I agree that it only caters to the top 3-4 servers that can actually fill all WvW maps at any given time. Ques are suppose to prevent all migration to one server but now there is no incentives to prevent it.

in WvW

Posted by: irma.3518

irma.3518

when will you fix engineer at pvp and pve ? I cannot burst instant much damage to players or npc like other dps classes. WHY ? I saw geared engineer ;and geared other dps classes too – I must say that engineer is useless comparing to other dps classes ;and at most of dungeons players don’t prefer egnineers ;so hard to get in groups !!! Will you fix it at next patch ? thanks.

( engineer needs new more powerful skills ; and buffs to currrent skills too ;because non of the traits don’t make engineer good at giving damage at pve and pvp )